[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: EyeofUgin.png (96 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
EyeofUgin.png
96 KB, 223x311
Eldrazi hype is real edition

>What're you playing?
>What're you building?
>What're you speccing on?
>What're you hating on in your local meta?
>>
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
Infect
I should be playing something that has a good burn matchup. Most of the stuff I build happen to have irreparably bad burn matchups. Also, I should build something with a good junk matchup for gpts cause I have a score to settle.

Someone explain mutagenic growth in infect to me. It speeds up the kill, but is that all? It seems pretty bad at protecting your guys, and most of the time I'd rather have a card that digs for more infect creatures.
>>
>>44458985
>What're you building?

Two things, very rough, but I want to get them done before Saturday (local game group is having an unoffical tourney).

One is a Fast/Aggro R/B deck. Bunch of small creatures, some with Dash, some spells like Foul Tongue Shriek for a little bit of extra damage and some life gain.

The other is R/G Aggro, kinda using Green for ramp, then getting out Ventmaw Savage for stuff like Megamorph for Atarka Efreet, or even Hellkite Charger if the singles I ordered get here in time.

Both will probably end up terrible, I'm sure.
>>
File: modern 2015.jpg (379 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
modern 2015.jpg
379 KB, 750x1000
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
Mostly Affinity and Twin.

>What're you building?
N/A

Speculating? Vintage/legacy cards, I guess.

Bogles. I always end up getting paired against it when I'm playing Affinity. Whenever it's a good matchup (I'm playing just about anything else), I don't get paired against it.
>>
>>44459214
Being able to cast it while tapped out is always useful
>>
>>44460269
Yeah, like when they bolt or abrupt decay it. Surely, having three toughness will help then.
>>
>What're you playing?
GW hatebears and BW tokens
>What're you building?
slowly piecing maverick together
?
UG infect makes up like 30% of my local meta. been running a melira mainboard + 2 in the side just to keep my head above water.
>>
>>44460283
from what I've seen some matchups you just wanna be as explosive as possible. twin and melira company come to mind. a free +2/+2 is indispensible then. if the matchup is good anyway then yeah mg is just excessive.
>>
>>44460283
It is if you've already used another buff on it already and bluff your opponent out for a win.
>>
>>44458985
>Playing
Mono-Green Stompy
>Building
Living End and Mono-Black Eldrazi for Modern
I'm really excited for the new eldrazi
>>
File: arc1431_templeofplenty.jpg (105 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
arc1431_templeofplenty.jpg
105 KB, 620x400
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
Elves. Love it in Legacy, don't like it in Modern. It really needs help there.

>What're you building?
No idea yet. GW hatebears looks fun, but is shit tier.

Getting rewarded for holding on to all my MM2/BFZ shit by the Eldrazi hypetrain. Specially those foil Eye of Ugins. Next target is very unclear, since BFZ/OGW look to be rather tame. Maybe Expeditions?

I just hate Affinity with the intensity of a thousand suns. Ever since that horrible summer in Type 2.
>>
>>44460341
>I just hate Affinity with the intensity of a thousand suns. Ever since that horrible summer in Type 2.
Back in 2003-2004, I found a store where nobody played Affinity. Good times.
>>
Reminder that an Eldrazi deck in Modern would just be a bad Tron deck.
>>
>What're you playing?
RUG Loam
>What're you building?
Nothing. Wouldn't mind trying to brew an Aristocrats list but I've really lost the urge to play Magic recently
Wizards creating a new non-rotating format starting from M15 with the new card border and holomark. I think their hubris is so big at this point that they think they can magically craft the perfect fun metagame. So I'm keeping hold of any cards that are powerful in standard because they'll be powerful in this
Nothing really. Scapeshift I guess because I can't really kill before he resolves one
>>
>What're you playing?
U-Tron with my super secret tech (1 Jin-Gitaxias) and G/W Hatebears
>What're you building?
Esper Control
I don't spec because it's bad for the community
I hate playing against G/R Tron above all, and my sideboard isn't really enough, but it's just a bad matchup.

Also someone did a run on Gaddock Teeg. Why?
>>
File: 1404510151669.jpg (15 KB, 354x352) Image search: [Google]
1404510151669.jpg
15 KB, 354x352
>>44460384
Lucky Anon. While I had to gimp my Tron deck with Viridian Shamans and Oxidizes. I guess being green isn't easy at times.
>>
>What're you playing?
tokens on paper, project melira + tokens on mtgo
>What're you building?
not sure desu, want something better positioned against tron but I tend to hate most of the t1 decks
ayli being secretly good in modern
tron
>>
>>44460915
>69.99 midprice
These buyouts are getting fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>44461263
There's a reason Force of Will has recently taken off in popularity.
>>
>>44461302
Too bad about the weeb art or I might give it a try. All the cards I've seen from it look like half naked lolis
>>
>>44461359
Very few cards have half naked lolis on. The game is far more fun than Magic though since it doesn't insult your intelligence.
>>
Getting back into Modern after a year of doing other things.

Played slivers in m14, using a mix of current and older slivers, would on an average FNM place around fifth, sometimes higher or lower.

How viable are slivers now? Anything that I should put in there that im missing?
>>
>>44461399
Slivers are pretty trashy in Modern. Tribal decks tend to be weak because your boardstate becomes weaker and weaker as your opponent picks them off. Merfolk manages it because their entire deck is lords or dudes with nice utility. Slivers don't really have anything like that, and are all over the colour wheel, whereas Merfolk is all blue.
>>
>>44459214
nah its really good as a surprise to keep one of your guys alive and youre tapped out, and sinetimes you can force out a counter with it. i run 2 instead of 2 might if old krosa
>>
>>44461412
D:

I'm not running any blue slivers to make my mana easier and the only real reason I would want them is for Diffusion Sliver and I cant really justify that.

Got 4X first strike and 4X deathtouch Slivers, so by turn two, as long as those two dont get removed, I win all early game combats.

Anything I can do to make them better?
>>
>>44461438
You need to run as many as you can that make your others deal more damage. You gotta build up your board to be as big as possible so that even if a couple die, the rest are still big enough to be a threat. Then you need to look at the price of Aether Vial and cry.
>>
>>44461448

Yeah, Slivers suffer very badly from 'In order to work, you need to overcommit'.

They don't really have a way to recover from mass damage or board wipe.
>>
Eldrazi decks can be summed up by "work hard and play shit cards to make suboptimal cards okay".

Don't buy into it, it's a budget deck.
>>
>>44459214
It enables a turn 2 kill and can save something from pyroclasm. I only run it as a 2-of. If you don't like it, no one's forcing you to run it. Run 4 apostles blessing, I don't care.
>>
File: 1395421263110.jpg (100 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1395421263110.jpg
100 KB, 800x800
As times goes on I am coming to dislike playing Thoughtseize more and more.
>>
>>44461898
Because of Burn or because it's too good for you? Card is awesome.
>>
>>44460283
look dude no ones forcing you to run. Fucking run 4 apostles blessing and maybe don't tap out for pump spells against BGx? I don't care.
>>
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
Infect and amulet bloom
>What're you building?
I'm only 4 scalding tarns away from finishing grixis delver.
I'm not a faggot.
Anybody playing homebrews
>>
>>44460515
>Wizards creating a new non-rotating format starting from M15

I would love a post-Modern non-rotating format. Sometimes I hate that the only real options are to play with 12+ years worth of cards or play with only cards from the last few sets, with nothing in between. Or at least something like Extended, where the rotation window is much bigger.
>>
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
Mono black midrange. And trying to convince myself that I don't need a playset of Liliana of the Veil because $100 a piece is goddamn fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>44460915
What the fuck is he even used in?

I can't find it on MTGtop8 in any fucking deck.
>>
>>44458985
Soul Sisters
U/W Martyr (soul sisters)
I don't spec
Affinity

Sidenote does anyone else feel that Affinity is far more oppressive than pod ever was?
>>
>>44462018
no. I like sitting across from affinity. Almost always fun, interactive games.
>>
>>44462005
Hatebears and Bogles sideboards
>>
>>44462211
Two very dangerous Modern decks. /s

This is probably a Legacy player who made the buyout. But honestly this buyout and the Eye of Ugin buyout are fucking stupid. There are more legitimate targets like Abrupt Decay and Snapcaster Mage in the wild.
>>
>>44462005
EDH and a sideboard option in a couple of tier 2-3's.

Tbh I hope the game either collapses or there's a huge price slump, I'd love it if the faggots that try and speculate to the detriment of what's supposed to be a game got badly burnt.
>>
>>44461972
>muh autism cannot comprehend unknown interactions

this is why I love praying on tryhard faggots :^)
>>
>>44462420
>Hatebears and Boggles
>Relevant

ok
>>
>>44462420
The stupid eldrazi deck is a lot better than it looks on paper. Eye might be legit,
>>
>>44462735
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%2Fs

You have literally never seen "/s"? This isn't exactly new either.
>>
>>44462829
>2008
Even your sarcasm marks aren't relevant.
>>
>>44462738
A lot better than it looks I can agree. It looks unviable but instead it's just a very subpar deck. It's about the same powerlevel as Monogreen Devotion.

Deck has literally no good matchups. Literally no reason to play it over BGx.
>>
>>44462862
Pretty sure your mom has been around for longer and she's definetely relevant to my sexual activities.
>>
>>44462862
>>44462875
Kids please keep it civil
>>
>>44462675
I hate homebrews bc crushing some fag playing a pile I'll never see at a real event and having him get salty about it isn't any fun.
>>
Could a torpor orb /sundial deck work in modern?
I love the idea of cheating in Phyrexian dreadnought in legacy and it got me thinking.
Modern sees so many Etb interactions the deck would inherently attack the meta, while dropping broken ass creatures
>>
>>44463782
Not really. If your deck is packed with things like hunted horror, then your deck doesn't function without the trigger being stifled. Also the only relevant part of the meta is the twin combo itself. Half the time they just board that out and still win.
>>
>>44463862
>resto
>rhino
>finks
>snap
>etc

Torpor orb stuffs more than twin
>>
What's your opinion of Master of etherium in affinity? I'm trying to avoid stony silence blowouts so I'm thinking of making room for them and hangarback
>>
>>44464180
Master was always fighting Etched in terms of slots but in the current meta I would say that the Champion is by and large the better option.
>>
>>44464289
>in the current meta
But anon, how do you know his meta?
The global meta estimation is not what you should be tuning your deck for unless you're going to a gp, etc.
>>
>>44461302
I would like to play it but it isn't sold here and since I don't know anyone who plays, I'm not jumping to spend a bunch of money on it. Maybe I could buy the equivalent of shitty intro decks and see how it goes. Vanguard and Netrunner are both played at my LGS, though.
>>
>>44461438
No blue? Galerider Sliver is a god in modern slivers, and Diffusion is decently comfy if you can get her out early.
>>
>>44460308
If your opponent is trying to kill stuff on your turn instead of theirs, they're just bad. Unless it's inkmoth.
>>
>>44464687
>The global meta estimation is not what you should be tuning your deck for unless you're going to a gp, etc.
Don't know how they do things where you are at but most of the shop metas I go to reflect (more or less) the meta at large at any given time. At the start of the year when the meta was 35% UR Twin, 35% Junk that was reflected on what my local players chose to bring to modern night.
>>
>>44461263
>mfw I just bought a playset two days ago for 40$
>mfw I realise it won't last
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>44464814
Not him but my meta is almost entirely jank
3 grixis control
2 Kiki Jeskai
2 mardu midrange
2b/w tokens

Only 1 twin and wilted Abzan
>>
File: 1404089833921.jpg (13 KB, 171x171) Image search: [Google]
1404089833921.jpg
13 KB, 171x171
>>44464950
>>2 Kiki Jeskai
>Not even the somewhat passable Kiki Chord
Come on now.
>>
>>44464814
My local shop's most popular deck is UW Control/Midrange.
>>
>>44461916
Not the anon you were replying to but, burn makes it hurt, and the format is speeding up again, and thoughtsieze is better when you can cherry pick something devastating for them to lose. It's NOT good when they have a hand full redundancy and value. For example, if you t1 sieze, and see Signal Pest, Opal, Opal, land land memnite, ornithopter, galvanic blast, you're in for a bad time.
>>
>>44459414
You sound very new, anon. Modern might be a bit rough on you.
>>
>>44460341

>Elves. Love it in Legacy, don't like it in Modern. It really needs help there.

Many Elf players are starting to switch to a more G/b shell rather than a G/w shell and are having more success with Shaman of the Pack.
>>
>>44461399

>Anything that I should put in there that im missing?

Aether Vials. Deck does not work without any Aether Vials
>>
File: 4046.jpg (36 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
4046.jpg
36 KB, 200x285
>What're you playing?

Scaaaaaaaapeshift.

>What're you building?

Lands. Wanted to get back into Legacy for years. Now's the time.

lol

Aggro. Any aggro. 75 % of my meta is aggro, it's basically impossible to win without dedicating part of my main and half my side to fighting aggro crap.
>>
>>44458985
>playing
Jund, Twin, Grixis Delver and Esper Mentor
>building
Just finished Jund so now I think I'm going to build Affinity so I can have the modern triangle done
Also slowly building Abzan
>speccing
Nothing because I don't treat mtg like the stock market.
>hating
Hatebears was the only deck I lost to last tournament. So I guess that.
>>
>>44465646
Nobody cares what you play
Everyone already knows because you never shut up about it
>>
File: mwyzkUS.jpg (46 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
mwyzkUS.jpg
46 KB, 500x364
>>44465671
>>
>>44465646
Also just finished Twin. I've had jund whoops
>>
What's the best place to sell cards? I want to unload Amulet Bloom before bannings come out (I know it might not get banned, but I also just don't like the deck that much anymore)
>>
>>44465636
>Aggro. Any aggro. 75 % of my meta is aggro, it's basically impossible to win without dedicating part of my main and half my side to fighting aggro crap.
Are you playing Bring to Light? And, if so, what color are you splashing?
>>
File: linvalathepreserver.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
linvalathepreserver.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
New Linvala was spoiled and wow it's not playable at all. Should have just reprinted the first one.
>>
>>44465455

Not new, old.

But the last time I played "Modern" was Kamigawa Block and it was called Standard back then. I was never a great player even then. I just started playing again in November, and the group mostly plays EDH, draft, and modern. I know I'm completely outclassed, but I'll never get better if I don't play.
>>
>>44465827
Modern is not Standard. You are actually in the wrong thread.
>>
>>44465827

"Modern" back then would have been more akin to the now defunct old Extended format.
>>
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
https://youtu.be/A_sY2rjxq6M?t=80
>What're you building?
Alternative brews
Memorizing the ins and outs of other meta decks
Twin, Affinity, Jund
>>
>How much money have you spent on this hobby?
>>
>>44465496
I noticed. Actually been starting out the version myself since I decided to get on the Modern train (played Legacy exclusively). But it's the shell itself that feels really gimped. It really could use something like Glimpse or Symbiote. Now i'm stuck to stuff like Sylvan Messenger.
>>
>>44465919
you seem v stupid
>>
>>44465856
>>44465891

That was the joke. There was no Modern yet. The point is that it's been so long since I played that this is a completely new format.
>>
File: Image.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
ITT: woefully under valued cards in modern
>>
>>44466041
The format does remind me more of standard than extended. At least the general power level does
>>
>>44465954
Your face is stupid
>>
>>44466061
Depends I suppose? I mean, artifact removal is everywhere.

What would be a good imprint target anyway, a Mana Leak or a Path?
>>
>>44466109
Path to Exile on a stick single handedly shuts down Amulet Bloom until you can Hive Mind.
>>
>>44465804

Yes. White. Slaughter Games isn't worth much in my meta, but Timely Reinforcements and Wrath are alright. Timely's a sideboard card, but Wrath is fine in my main.
>>
>>44465953

I presume we're on the same page and talking about CoCo Elves, i'm actually still playing the G/w versions just because I prefer the Horizon Canopies for extra draw and the various W cards to splash for in a toolbox approach.

There is a combo Elves variant in Modern which plays different and abuses many different interactions with Cloudstone Curio+Visionary/Dwynen's Elite etc. Leading to a massive token advantage or a repeatable card draw engine towards Craterhoof or even Emrakul.

You are right in that it's no Legacy elves. Elves was just a fringe "fun" deck in Modern until Collected Company got printed and became somewhat competitive. Closest thing to Wirewood Symbiote in Modern is Scryb Ranger but just costs 1 extra mana more.
>>
File: bringtolight.jpg (49 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
bringtolight.jpg
49 KB, 265x370
>>44465804
>>44466191

To add to that, I did use to play RUG, but it's just too slow for my meta. Bring to Light looks like clunky shit, and in most decks it would be, but in Scapeshift it's amazing. Pulling Anger right out of my deck, not losing games while digging for Scapeshift at 9 lands, it's all good.
>>
>>44465950
Please anon, I was having a good day, why must you bring this up?
>>
>>44466109
Boros Charm
4 them every turn, or protect your scepter if they try to kill it
Abrupt Decay
Because I hate your stuff
>>
>>44466374
>Throwing Boros charm on this
I may actually consider it for Burn then, as a 1-of just to try it out.

Only issue is that this seems like it would be great against a control matchup, which only ever happens when facing Twin game 2.
>>
>>44458985
>playin'
Infect and grixis twin/control
>buildin'
Nothing atm, waiting for the ban list update and jaces to fall in price.
>speculating
Might see a jump in hatebear cards if stoneforge gets unbanned. Jace won't be $75 for long, or at least I hope not.
>hatin'
Nothing really. I don't like how popular burn is, but that's only because its cheap.
>>
>>44465950
Not so much anymore. Like $300 a year probably. I have so many staples that I can just trade in stuff and get more cards
>>
Surge ritual where?
Has MaRo said anything about the liklihood of a ritual spell being printed?
>>
>>44466439
I'm trying to build scepter control with Monastery Mentor, young pyro, and Myth Realized
Probably gonna be Merica colors, but might have to be 5-Color for atarkas and abrupt decay
>>
Hey guys. I know it's subpar and probably bad, but I kinda wanna try and remake a modern version of a zen/scars standard deck I ran.

The bulk of it was something like:

4x Bushwhacker
4x Kor Skyfisher
4x Glint Hawk
4x Signal Pest
4x Ornithopter
4x Memnite
4x Glint Hawk idol

4x Bolt
4x Galvanic Blast
4x Kuldotha Rebirth

And some number of Arc Trails, Mox Opals and shrines. Some of the stuff might not have been x4, i don't recall, but that was the gist.

Anybody have suggestions for how to build something like this relatively cheaply but still able to occasionally win a game?
>>
>>44466736
Just run Affinity, literally 10x better
>>
>>44458985
>playin'
Mardu shitbrew fun giggles

>buildin'
Designed a blistercoil deck and a volcano hellion deck but haven't ordered anything.

>speculatin'
Not stoneforge being unbanned lel
Kozilek's Return will see some modern play, tron mainboard and burn sideboard. Crumbling vestige might see affinity play, the rest of the set is commander fodder or garbage.

>hatin'
Should be hating on twin/grixis control, but as-is my deck obliterates the one poor Bogle player there, and not strictly by design.
>>
>>44466820
and about 10x the price. pass. I'm not a super serious player, but I like to build decks that are as good as they can be. I'm not looking to run affinity.e of a sligh deck with artifacts.
>>
>>44466651
No, storm will never be good again, sorry.

It hurts me too
>>
>>44466883
Would probably not consider the Kuldotha rebirh, also try springleaf drums if you can fit it.
>>
>>44466894
Do you know why they call it Storm?
Because the player Storms off when they can't win any games
>>
guys

when 2 buy fetches
>>
>>44467069
yeah, I was never quite sure about Rebirth. Going mox opal, memnite, land, signal pest, glint hawk off opal, play opal, kuldotha rebirth, sac opal, turn two play another land, kick bushwhacker and swing for 17 was fun though.

I'm thinking something like:

4 Glint Hawk
4 Skyfisher

4 Signal Pest
4 Ornithopter
2 Memnite

4 Goblin Bushwhacker

4 Bolt
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Boros Charm
3 Shrapnel Blast
3 Opal

20 lands
>>
>>44467371
A year ago.
>>
>>44467371
literally right now. open a new tab.
>>
>>44467390
Do you think that you need 20 lands?
Also, Cranial Plating exists.
>>
>>44467169
They banned storm because modern isn't a format about complex decision trees>>44467371
>>
>>44467751
Jokes on them, I still play and win with storm and I'm almost done building KCI Eggs
>>
File: Angry Decay.jpg (351 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Angry Decay.jpg
351 KB, 480x680
>>44466061
I DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU HOW TO RUN YOUR GAME, BUT...
>>
>>44467685
True. Wasn't sure where it ought to go, but boros charm is *probably* overkill. I can probably get away with 16-17 lands, even. 4 ds citadel, 4 blinkmoth nexus (i'm not made of money), 4 rugged prairie if i can get a hold of them, then basics i guess.
>>
>>44467881
Eggs is sweet, but I wish dredge wasn't so gimped
>>
File: image.jpg (944 KB, 2390x1534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
944 KB, 2390x1534
Finally finished it!
Took years of fucking saving up money but I think I finally built the ideal version of Gifts
>Shits on Affinity
>Blows out Burn
>Not as shitty against Blood Moon

I think I need to find a way to make my Tron matchup and Bloom Titan matchup better, so any suggestions you guys got would be awesome.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-06-15-tarmogifts/
>>
>>44468058
All I see is a pile of colors
>>
>>44467920
Boros charm makes it indestructible
>>
>>44468140
I didn't have enough money to pay the electric bill
>>
File: 1451454978497.png (160 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
1451454978497.png
160 KB, 265x370
Esper super friends?
>>
>>44468195
yeah, if you're a scrub.
>>
>>44468214
Chromantic superfriends?
>>
>>44468295
5C goodsuperfriends
>>
>>44467881
Eggs player here, how's your list looking?
Which win con do you run?

Bonus points for alternative win con in the sideboard to mess with opponents.
>>
>>44468195
I don't think 3 mana sorcery speed tutors are good enough
>>
>>44468430
on my phone now, but I run Banefire as a primary wincon mainboard with a pair of codex shredder as a secondary (board worth >11 mana including 2w in artifacts that don't force me to draw, loop codex and Open the Vaults milling then for one each cycle with the other codex) and Emrakul in the sideboard if I suspect leylines of meddling mage.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (65 KB, 428x600) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
65 KB, 428x600
>>44468214
Go back home
>>
>>44458985
>Eldrazi hype is real edition
No it's not.
I've played that shitbrew 7 times and are currently 14-0 aagaint it. 3 times with Burn, 2 times with Deadguy and 2 times with Mardu Memerange.
>>
>>44466061
Not with Kologan's command and abrupt decay so prevalent.
>>
File: collectibles.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
collectibles.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2250
>>44465950
>How much money have you spent on this hobby?
Tens of thousands.

I've got a pretty sweet collection, though.
>>
>>44468770
Damn that is a gorgeous counterspell. What are those called again?
>>
>>44468803
Varies... I typically refer to them as 8th edition test prints.
>>
>>44468828
Gotcha. They're rad as fuck but I'm glad they didn't go with those frames.
>>
>>44468892
Yeah... most of the wow factor is just that they look so different.
>>
>>44468559
Not really a fan of Banefire, why not run Pyrite Spellbomb?
>>
File: 1448885517300s.jpg (5 KB, 250x161) Image search: [Google]
1448885517300s.jpg
5 KB, 250x161
>>44466109
In modern a fog is enough to win against 90% decks,i use ethereal haze,silence is sick if you drop it on turn 2,and you lock with whote and kill with red,no need for counterspells,if they have removal for artifacts you imprint boros charm and there are 1 mana white spells that return aetifacts from graveyard to hand from mirrodin
>>
>>44471558
Gotta say, that image got me good.
>>
>>44463959
>Affinity
>Burn
>Zoo
>Infect
>Tron
>Scapeshift
>Living End
>Boggles
>Merfolk

I guess It hoses Amulet Bloom?
The point is it doesn't "attack the meta."
>>
>>44472483
Also Melira co, but that deck's kinda shit to begin with
>>
>>44472483
In fact, it doesn't even "hose" amulet bloom. It stops prime times ETB but not his attack trigger.
>>
>>44472527
Your face is kinda shit. Also more than half of the games are won by beatdown.
>>
>>44472630
I understand you're angry that wizards took your precious birthing pod, but you don't have to take it out on me.
>>
>>44465817
>Expecting anything in BfZ to have viable anything.
You shouldn't do that to yourself.
>>
>>44472903
But anon that's in OGW
>>
>>44468149
Not if you've already activated the Scepter.
>>
>>44461582
I was looking forward to playing it, a budget deck with interesting interactions. With the current spikes however I'll stick to my delver and twin.
>>
>>44467920
>>44468762
If you're running Sceptre, you run Boros charm to protect it.
>>
>>44461582
I always liked the idea behind it though. Especially the fact that you have to play ramp and inefficient cards to back it up. I really liked that when you start ramping up your opnent has no idea what is going on. Sure you play Cultivate, you play standard ramp stuff, they assume a big green thing to drop, maybe a Terra Stomper, maybe something more nasty, but something in the same vein. and then you drop Primeval Titan and draw, ok that itself isn't that unusual, it's a borderline broken card, it's natural for a ramp deck to run this. And then you draw the Eye of Ugin with it.

and they see it and it's this "holy shit" moment on their faces that is just priceless. Because at that point they know what's going on, they know they're on the clock. Because from that point onwards it's a matter of time. first the Ulamog's Crushers to carve the way. Then Ulamog himself. Then Kozilek. Then Emrakul. and at that point, if you can pull it off and 99% of the time you've already lost or won long before that point, everything si doomed. The Eldrazi has come to feast on the plane, drawn in by insane chants and twisted schemes and everything is going to be DEVOURED now.

I dunno, I considered it to be extremely thematic.

I really really hated what they tried to do with Eldrazi. Although I liked the whole "exile the top x cards of your oponent's deck" as a mechanic because it's even more thematic, because you're literally erasing entire chunks of reality from existance, and definitely less toxic then anihilator because it doesn't affect the board directly, but the entire shtick of the eldrazi no longer being these singular great entities, cosmic titans of immesurable power and whose thoughts of genocide are completely beyond human understanding, were reduced to an army of tentacly monsters. Urgh.
>>
>>44474303
And the whole thing of them being coloured, I mean who the hell thought THAT was a good idea? The entire point of the eldrazi being colourless was that it gave them this unique vibe of being completely alien to everything else in the game. this sense of "this thing is weird and does not belong in here".

You can slap a "this thing has no colour" as disclamer all you want, but if it costs coloured mana, yes it's fucking coloured. That's what being coloured MEANS. I honestly have no idea which chucklefuck thought that that would fly.
>>
>>44474366
Firstly, eldrazi creatures and spells make up half of BFZ and they can't design a set where half of the printed cards have no color identity

Secondly, there were colored eldrazi in ROE, the hatchers and spawn generators, so this isn't new

Thirdly from a lore perspective, the colored eldrazi are eldrazi changing, consuming and altering places with that kind of mana and processing it so it makes sense that they would take on aspects of that mana since they are "adapted" to processing it
>>
File: 653327.jpg (15 KB, 304x408) Image search: [Google]
653327.jpg
15 KB, 304x408
>>44474366
>guy tries to cast misdirect by exiling Brutal Expulsion
>"can't do that bro"
>Kozilek's Return kills auriok champions and kor firewalkers
>>
Would Crumbling Vestige see play in Amulet Bloom? I realize they like to use karoos and utility lands, but it's basically one free mana coming in, plus another mana to tap.
>>
>>44458985
>What are you playing
Affinity, Junk, Jund, Zoo, Hatebears, Mono Green Stompy, Tron, Grixis Control, UWx Control, Bant Midrange, Lantern Control, Mono Black Control, Twin, Infect, Collected Chord, Living End, Instant Reanimator, Bloom Titan and a shitload of gimmick decks like defender combo, UR draw mill, UB mill, and whatever else draws my interest.

>What are you building?
All the decks I don't currently own.
RDW (Missing 3 guides), Merfolk (4 Caverns), Martyr (2 Ascendant), Eldrazi Control (most stuff), Scapeshift, ad nauseum, T&N, Troll Worship, Abzan Aristocrats, Storm...

>What are you speccing on?
Trading away all my promo Geists before their price crashes with the Duel deck reprint. Also started trading away my Bloom titan pieces. If it doesn't get banned I'll just trade it back but I'm hedging my bets.
Also hoarding foil full-art basics like a madman. Soon got 100.

My meta is literally nothing but people grinding points. So it's a carbon copy of mtgtop8. Hate on twin, jund and tron. I've been playing Lantern Control lately so mostly I hate Jund, almost impossible to beat them. Tron is also hard but Pithing Needles can fuck them over and they rarely have an answer pre-board.

Also, I'm taking suggestions for rogue decks to brew. The goal is to have the cards to every playable modern deck so throw them at me.
>>
Bant Bogles, yay or nay?
>>
>>44476920

i like it because it really just nullifies lots of removal
>>
>>44476984
whats your list? I was only really going to include Traft and maybe some blue enchantment and auramancer's guise or something
>>
>>44476772
Bloom or Affinity. It might see some play but I don't imagine it'll be a staple in either. 1-of or 2-ofs.
>>
>>44476772
It has a similar effect with amulet except it can't bounce itself.
>>
File: wasteland.png (118 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
wasteland.png
118 KB, 223x311
>>44466061
Eldrazi hypetrain counters imprint. :^)
>>
>>44458985
Finally got the last cards I need for merfolk.
>>
>>44476914
Test 5c gifts with naya aggro as the main gameplan.
>>
File: value.jpg (993 KB, 1774x1182) Image search: [Google]
value.jpg
993 KB, 1774x1182
>>44477626
Y'mean for 2B I can rekt my opponent's scepter and then be forced to kill my own creature with the triggered ability? Gosh, mister, that's keen!
>>
>>44478114
Yea man no worries I gotchu
>>
>>44477626
Speaking of this thing, did anyone notice that it effectively just hit a dollar? The only TCGplayer sources you can get it for under $1 dont have enough stock to buy them by themselves.
>>
>>44476920
I run it with 4x Sylvan Caryatid, 4x Geist, 2x Worship, and 2x Angelic Destiny. A bit less explosive, but Worship maindeck is so good in some matchups.
>>
>>44477870
but why?

If I'm going 5 colors, why not just go for 5c zoo with Tribal Flames?
>>
>>44478407
go domain zoo , it was a sorta real thing for a while
>>
>>44478407
>5c zoo with Tribal Flames
Guy I know played this deck. It's laughably bad. You almost always end up taking near 10 of your own life points getting lands
>>
>>44478539
>>44478424
Yeah, it's only something I'd try if nobody in my meta played burn.

Too bad burn is everywhere.
>>
>>44478358
Why Caryatid over Hierarch? Nobody's going to keep targeted removal in against Bogles anyway.

Besides the painfully obvious, anyway.
>>
>>44478821
Partly budget, partly because Caryatid makes it possible to sit on a dork and a Worship in a pinch.

Your ideal T1 play is always a Bogle anyway.
>>
File: nightmare goggles.jpg (40 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
nightmare goggles.jpg
40 KB, 722x349
>>44458985
>>What're you playing?
selling out of this format. former twin player.

>>What're you building?
nothing

>>What're you speccing on?
nothing

>>What're you hating on in your local meta?
same 4 decks in the shop, same 4 decks on modo. snoozeville, man.
>twin
>robots
>jund
>tron
it's just old, man. it isn't interesting any more. last time i played i 2-0ed my first match, dropped and went home to play path of exile.
>>
What are some good decks I can buy and tool around with?
>>
>>44479002
Makes sense.
>>
Is as nauseam a meme deck?
>>
Does anyone else wish extended could come back?
>>
>>44479055
Just came here to complain?
>>
>>44479412
If it means I can play sfm and ponder again.
>>
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
abzan coco-chord
Grixis Twin
Fish
>What're you building?
Jund ideally. though affinity pieces have been building up in the binder
Nada
Bloom. I really just don't like the deck, losing to ridiculously fast hive mind pact is one of the biggest feel-bad moments I've had in magic. The deck in the hands of a competent player feels ridiculous to play against. Personally hope some of the pieces get banned. Hive Mind and Tolaria West would be my picks of trimming down the deck, but still enabling the deck to ramp and function.... just can't ramp into instant kill with hive mind and doesn't let each titan find the next tolaria west transmute into the next summoner's pact.
>>
>>44458985
test
>>
>>44458985
>What're you playing?
KCI second breakfast, Hulk Footsteps
>What're you building?
UB reanimator (legacy)
Bought a playset of Gaddock Teeg a few days ago, don't know if it'll keep its price, I'll probably try to trade them away in a while
Nothing in particular, control(-ish) lists in general, since I'm full combo.
>>
>>44476914
how are you playing bloom without 2 caverns?
>>
>>44468770
Can we talk about that summer hurricane wtf Nigger, etc. Why would you spend that much money on this game?
>>
>>44476914
You need to build bubble hulk.
>>
>>44479353
Your opponents will think it is but it's not really.
>>
>>44481067
>Hulk Footsteps
Muh nugga
>>
File: 1303801278512.png (15 KB, 519x494) Image search: [Google]
1303801278512.png
15 KB, 519x494
>>44477626
>playing around with a loampox deck for 6 months
>piecing Living End together in the meantime
>watch the Eldrazi hypetrain
>notice four md Relics
>mfw
>>
>>44481776
>Can we talk about that summer hurricane wtf Nigger, etc. Why would you spend that much money on this game?
Because I can.

Back around 2002, I saw a blue hurricane sell for somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-8k. In 2003, I had the opportunity to buy 4 packs worth of summer cards (still have 2 unopened packs) including a Hurricane for only $8k. I figured I could sell enough to recoup the $8k and still keep some cards.

As it turns out, I didn't move any of the cards until recently (2013-2015). I got about $5k from selling some of the cards and I still have 2 unopened packs and over $10k in summer cards, so it worked out pretty well. Note that the Sol Ring was from a pack that I opened.
>>
>all these people falling for memedecks every months

Lantern isn't good.
Footsteps isn't good.
Eldrazi isn't good.

What's next, a Leonin Arbiter buyout? People are crazy.
>>
>>44482158
>Assblasted Grixis player detected
>>
>>44482158
So eye of ugin went from a $5 card to a $15-20 card now overnight.
>>
>>44482477
Not even. I play Jund and these decks are candy.
>>
File: 1451359689843.png (349 KB, 308x409) Image search: [Google]
1451359689843.png
349 KB, 308x409
>>44482902
>Eldrazi is easy for Jund to beat
>>
>>44479942
I came to modern hoping to play a deck with extended power level, not super standard
>>
File: 1451582611512.png (119 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
1451582611512.png
119 KB, 223x311
One manland left to be spoiled, the UB one.

This was the one I had an interest in and it turned out to be jank. Stirring Wildwoods shits on this and Creeping Tar Pit will do it's job better most of the time. I guess you could hold it up as a blocker, to deter attackers but I hardly think such a gamestyle fits GB in modern in all forms, from GBx to Podless Pod to whatever.
>>
>>44483127
>UB one
I think it'll be calling Creeping Tar Pit and be a 3/2 unblockable.
>>
>>44483189
UB, UR, same shit :^)
>>
>>44483127
Not impressed. I am legitimately disappointed in the entirety of BFZ.

>>44483189
You knew that guy meant UR.
>>
>>44483196
Looting or prowess then. They'd never do anything interesting. RW and BG were called as these exact cards a long ass time ago.
>>
>>44482496
I'm glad I sold mine when rise of the eldrazi was being spoiled
>>
>>44483209
The abilities were pretty much certain but what wasn't set in stone were the activation costs and bodies.

Also I don't think Prowess would be a good fit for the UR manland unless the activation cost is UR and looting would be kind of weird given that both Lighthouse exists and that all other manlands are made to be used in combat. Unless it loots every time it connects?
>>
>>44483267
Looting on hit is the obvious one. It'll be a 2/1 elemental or some shit and cost 4.
>>
Newlamog is the only card printed in BFZ that will see any remote amounts of play
>>
Why are Bx Eldrazi players such scrubs?
>>
>>44483539
you've got it backwards. they're playing bx eldrazi because they're scrubs.
>>
>>44483556
Hmm, never thought of it like that
>>
>>44483539
Deck is cheap. Cheap decks attract scrubs.

Best part is they will try to defend their shit deck. I have yet to hear one good reason to play this over Tron except budget and "it's a new deck".
>>
>>44483607
If they'd stop being shit and build it properly, the deck could have an edge over Tron. If they'd run BW for Tidehollow Sculler they could disrupt while building up a board. If they'd go Esper they could do this then turn 3 a Kozilek's Nullifier.
>>
File: 1450995232366.png (413 KB, 678x720) Image search: [Google]
1450995232366.png
413 KB, 678x720
>>44483539
>>44483556
>>44483607
>Trying this hard to justify your frustration that you didn't spec on Eye of Ugin

I don't even play the deck but I just made $600 because I'm not an idiot.
>>
>>44483607
Budgetfags are the worst.
>you only won because you paid more !
>you only won because you bought a Tier 1 deck !

Well no fucking shit. That's like calling out fishermen for buying optimal equipment and getting more fish than you. It's ok to be poor or not want to spend as much as everyone else, but it's part of the contract you signed by being a budgetfag, so kindly shut the fuck up.

Worst case: get fakes for fuck's sake.
>>
>>44483704
I'm not frustrated. I don't spec at all. I don't care. I have a big boy job and make plenty if money. I don't like scrubs and I don't like playing against shitbrews. It's just not fun.
>>
>>44483704
I own my fair share of Eye of Ugin (MM15 made it crash to like 4$ for a while). I just don't think the deck is good.
>>
Do people honestly think it's smart to invest in cardboard rather than stocks
>>
>>44483900
Do people honestly think it's smart to invest in stocks?
>>
>>44483923
My college education + $30,000 do
>>
>>44483900
What makes one safer than the other? No one ever got rich by following the advice of someone else. If making money was systematic, everyone would be doing it.
>>
>>44461985
>implying post-modern format would be fun

Shit dude if you like playing overcosted spells and not having any control, burn, or ramp, just play Standard.
>>
>>44462459
Speculators are why we have the reserve list
>>
>>44484070
Because speculating on cards generally has a very low growth rate. Once in a while you're going to make a bit of cash, but the amounts are so low that it isn't as efficient as a high risk investment. You also can't sink large amounts of money in it, so spoiler season investing is basically just betting. Its not investing as some like to put i
>>
>>44484174
You think stocks magically pour money into your bank account? And stocks are just betting too.
>>
File: wall street.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1867) Image search: [Google]
wall street.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1867
>>44484070
>No one ever got rich by following the advice of someone else. If making money was systematic, everyone would be doing it.

Welcome to reality.
>>
>>44484205
>what are dividends
You can spread out your stocks in different sectors, or invest in safer sectors, so you always see growth. With magic cards, if it doesn't pan out, if the demand isn't that high, or if general interest in the format isn't there then you go to basically 0
>>
>>44484270
Spreading yourself out minimizes losses, but also minimizes gains. In the end it achieves nothing.
>>
>>44484588
It ensures that your investments grow with the market, so you consistently make a profit. If one of my markets booms, that's great. If one of them busts I'm still fine. I'm more interested in steady, long term investment than in making a lot of money quickly
>>
File: lmao.png (8 KB, 285x491) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
8 KB, 285x491
What do you think of this matchup analysis for Eldrazi? Keep in mind this is from MTGSalvation, so take this with a grain of salt.
>>
>>44484767
I think it's pointless analyzing theoretical matchups for a deck in its infant stage.
>>
So because I'm poor as fuck, and have come to the conclusion that I'll never be able to afford a playset of Scalding Tarns, I've been trying to find some good chinaman cards. So far out of 3 different vendors, not one of them comes remotely close, has anybody here had any luck with this particular card?
>>
What are some fringe cards I can test for affinity?
>>
>>44484789
But it is relevant so the deck can grow.

Honestly I still don't see a reason to play this over Tron. Tron has better matchups overall (its easy matchups are VERY easy and its hard matchups are much easier).
>>
>>44484863
just play off color fetches
>>
File: poor-man.jpg (98 KB, 697x1061) Image search: [Google]
poor-man.jpg
98 KB, 697x1061
>>44485162
>Honestly I still don't see a reason to play this over Tron.
>>
>>44485188
that's not a reason
>>
What is the consensus on the best four-drop creature for Jund? I can't decide between Olivia, Huntmaster or Pia/Kiran .
>>
>>44485188
Enjoy your $136 playset of Eye of Ugins then.
>>
>>44485181
I wish I could, but I'm running a dumb grixis decklist featuring Cruel Ultimatum. Yes I know the card is bad but good lord it is fun to resolve.
>>
>>44485248
Just use mires and deltas.
>>
>>44485203
Solemn Simulacrum.
>>
>>44485203
I think that's more of a meta call than anything, cause huntmaster works fairly well for me, but that's only because there are a few draw go decks in the mix.
>>
>>44485248
play mires, deltas, and strands. that's what I've been doing in grixis delver while I save for tarns. It's not too bad. You're probably losing to burn anyway.
>>
>>44485293
>>44485348
Yeah that's what I'm doing right now, I've got a weird mix of those. It's okay but it could definitely be a little bit more consistent. And yeah you're right, this deck folds pretty hard to burn.
>>
File: 1399039131190.jpg (36 KB, 500x574) Image search: [Google]
1399039131190.jpg
36 KB, 500x574
>>44481907
I feel you, bro. Last week I just got everything for my dredgevine deck together besides a few fetchlands.
>>
>>44485203
I play 2 Huntmaster 1 Olivia and it's perfect for me. PK might be worth a shot over Olivia.
>>
>>44484767
That yellow is impossible to read.
>>
>>44485903
Medium difficulty:

RG tron
Twin
Maya zoo
Bogles
>>
>>44485903
>>44484767
Easy
>Jund
>Abzan
>Grixis
>Scapeshift

Medium
>Tron
>Twin
>Zoo
>Bogles (has no business being in Tier 1.5)

Hard
>Amulet Bloom
>Affinity
>Infect
>Merfolk

Undefined
>Burn
>>
>>44486043
>>44486047
Has anyone played against this deck? It looks like a tier 2 standard deck.
>>
>>44486047
Hard
>RUG Loam
>>
>>44486106
Yes. The deck is shit and this list is just as bad.
>>
>>44486106
I haven't played against it but I imagine that, regardless of outcome, the match would result in extreme levels of salt.
>>
>>44484174
>You also can't sink large amounts of money in it
What's your idea of large? Millions?
>>
>>44486047
>"every deck that gets hurt by Relic is an easy matchup!"
>"we always, always have cards to process!"
>"our mana is always excellent, it never happens to see two Eyes or two Urborgs and we can always cast Ulamog!"
>"we always find Oblivion Sower in time to blindly snipe Scapeshift's Valakuts and Tron's power cards!"
>"BGx can't beat us because Abrupt Decay only targets Strangler and Relic!"
>>
I was looking at some singles at my LGS a few days ago and noticed they had marked Ensnaring Bridge up significantly than what I remembered. When I asked the guy said it was a prison style deck that ran Blood Moon, Ensnaring Bridge and other stuff? I asked him how it won and he said Kuldotha Forgemaster. Apparently it won an SCG Open or something? Does anyone know what he was talking about because I hadn't heard about that deck and have no idea why Ensnaring Bridge is now so expensive (I mean, I get that it's great in modern, but I didn't think it had gotten any MORE popular than what it was a few months ago).
>>
>>44485079
Tempered Steel?
>>
>>44486357
Nah it was just a random buyout.
>>
>>44486438
Huh, weird. I wouldn't have minded if the guy had just told me that but now I'm annoyed that a weird gimmicky deck isn't on stream.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.