[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know that weird Problem Limbo, where you know if you bring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1429196619704.jpg (42 KB, 470x375) Image search: [Google]
1429196619704.jpg
42 KB, 470x375
You know that weird Problem Limbo, where you know if you bring up a problem you have with something, you know you're just going to make it worse?

>the DM has designated you as a supporting character after choosing another PC as the main character

What are you even supposed to do?

It's either you remind the DM he's supposed to spread the spotlight evenly, and have the DM deny his favoritism and you get labelled as an attention-seeking whiner who is always silently second-guessing everything the DM does, or you stay silent and spend the next few sessions playing second fiddle for no better reason than one guy's whims.
>>
>>44424761
I bet he's some poor Forever GM bastard at the end of his rope, trying to find an angle that is interesting enough for him to be able to keep going, and right now it's that PC since yours is some unfunny tripe, which he accepts only out of unwarranted feelings of obligation towards you as a group, and what he really wants is to run a game in another system than fucking D&D but you deadbeats thinks it's too much of a hassle to learn something new.
>>
>>44424849
That's not an impossible scenario, but that largely sounds like you're just projecting all sorts of your own unresolved issues onto it.

Aside from your weird D&D hatred that you needed to splash in there, you seem to think that the GM is justified in focusing the story around a single player simply as a matter of personal preference. If anything, that's the exact reason they're not supposed to choose a favorite player, because they're arbitrarily and subjectively deciding something that is unfair to the rest of the group.
>>
>>44424995
>GM
He said DM, as in Dungeon Master, as in Dungeons & Dragons, which is shit.
>>
>>44424761

Hey, I've actually had a game like that before. It was a anime-themed game where the female PC was slated to be the protagonist's true love and partner.

Guess what she did?

She cheated on the poor bastard EVERY CHANCE SHE GOT. I'll add that SHE was the one who said "I want to play his girlfriend and his partner" from the start. She wasn't forced into the role, she did it just so she'd have kinky enjoyment out of cheating on him.

It was amazing.
>>
File: 1445397244518.png (775 KB, 1080x6540) Image search: [Google]
1445397244518.png
775 KB, 1080x6540
>>44425032
Sounds like you're just upset about your opinion being unpopular.
>>
>>44425073
>not being mainstream is upsetting to anons
Is this Bizarro 4chan?
>>
File: 1436632870814.png (441 KB, 575x575) Image search: [Google]
1436632870814.png
441 KB, 575x575
>tfw favourite player

I never asked for this, GM. stop.
>>
>DM
>Choosing a main character
>Not giving every PC the same opportunity to be a plot focus.

Jesus Christ how horrifying. Every single one of my players makes a number 2. I try to give them plot, but the people who drive the story have to be the players.

OP, make your character a main one, whether the DM wants you to or not.
>>
>>44424761
Not everyone gets to be the Bhaalspawn. Somebody has to be Minsc or Imoen.
>>
>>44424761
If it gets really bad, tell your DM that you don't appreciate being a support character and leave if you must. No game is better then a bad game, remember that.
>>
>>44424761
Bring it up, or quit and bring it up anyway because the DM is gonna ask why you're leaving.

That was so easy to answer it's not even funny. But I can already see your problem here.
>attention-seeking whiner who is always silently second-guessing everything the DM does
>or you stay silent
>silent

Looks to me like the reason your character isn't in the spotlight is because you're not saying all that much. Either that, or you're in a really shit game because the DM has outwardly said "yo this guy is the main character" which you're implying.

Some characters end up being the side characters, and some end up stealing the show. It's something that just ends up happening naturally, and there's nothing really wrong with that.
>>
>>44429482
>Some characters end up being the side characters, and some end up stealing the show. It's something that just ends up happening naturally, and there's nothing really wrong with that.

The DM's influence is not quite so trivial. Under certain DMs, a player might wind up taking center stage the majority of the time, while under others the DM simply beats them down until they shy away from the spotlight.

The more DM's you play with, the more you discover you'll play a variety of roles simply because you end up being expected to do certain things and act a certain way. Under one DM you might be the buffoon who can never do anything right, while the same character under a different DM might be the plucky trickster who succeeds where all others have failed. The stern swordsman who speaks rarely but offers great wisdom when he does might just end up being the set of stats played by the guy who never says anything if the DM doesn't help him out.

Once people expect something from you, it's hard to overcome that, and it's simultaneously unfair to always have to be forced to take up the leadership mantle under a certain DM as it is to always be cast as a follower under another.

Balance is key, and the DM should strive to spread the spotlight as much as possible, if for no other reason than to give everyone the same chance. Some people just make and play better characters than other people, but if you don't give the people who are not quite so good an equal chance, they'll just end up too dispirited to ever even attempt to steal the show.
>>
File: 1438756139115.png (148 KB, 250x276) Image search: [Google]
1438756139115.png
148 KB, 250x276
>>44424761
>DM says we can roll whatever characters we want as long as they're human/humanoid types
>Show DM my character sheet it was a Changling Psionic that's all about jedi mind tricking people for approval
>"You can't play as this special snowflake shit, are you fucking retarded?"
>>
A lot of it can depend on mindset and point of the game. Like we played a sort of mongol game where one player was the khan and obviously the "main character" but it worked and was still fun because we could focus on and devote effort and time to the general cause.

Focusing on just one character might not be fun, but focusing on that character's mission can be.
>>
>>44425032
I just wanted to point out to Edgelord Smith here that DM has in a lot of groups fallen into generic use.
Holy shite boyo you really have a throbbing and pulsing hate-on here.
It's people like you what cause unrest.
>>
>>44424761
Why is this a problem? It's a rare opportunity to role-play as something other than the escapist-fantasy, prophesied-for-greatness generic hero. You can transfer your feelings of jealousy and envy to your character and conspire against the golden boy; accept your fate as a cheerful mook and (hopefully) enjoyable person, and eventually die tragically and dramatically with bloodied words, inciting guilt and a desire for vengeance in the real heroes; make the best of what you have and become determined to give your character a fate far better than what they'd attain normally; or kill yourself off spitefully and subtly at your nearest convenience, repeatedly doing so for each re-rolled character, forcing your GM to pander to your pettiness with special allowances and plot roles and whatever until you're satisfied enough with your snowflake.
>>
>>44425047
wow that's kind of awful
>>
>>44432933
If the GM has picked a favorite player, it's like playing with an extra handicap. Sure, you're all in it together, but it doesn't feel good to fail more often simply because the GM doesn't like you as much as their best friend or girlfriend.
>>
>>44432544
>Edgelord
That makes no sense in the context.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.