[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old General autosaged to death. Long live to the new GURPS G
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 29
File: cover_lg.jpg (217 KB, 550x713) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
217 KB, 550x713
Old General autosaged to death. Long live to the new GURPS General

Kicking Groins edition

The usual disclaimer that some of these links may not work applies.

=GURPS Resources==
If you want to learn the basic mechanics of the system, get GURPS Lite for free at www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

Character Templates. Think Character Classes.
http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Templates

GURPS 4th edition Books:
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ!8cgQgBpL

4th edition Character Sheet utility:
https://www.gurpscharactersheet.com

Combat Examples. Very useful for new players and GMs! Check out how different options effect things.
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

GURPS Murder Simulator, a fun tool to simulate shooting people in GURPS.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40207800/MiscDev/MurderSim2015.exe

GURPS 3rd edition PDFS. Unreliable. Try again if they don't work.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qiq29z073l9zs/GURPS
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fvkg5h94x1k1m/GURPS

What Skills should every PC have? Good idea, moderate execution.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=22
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=676097&postcount=4

Combat Cheat Sheet
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10971026/Combat%20Maneuvers%20Cheat%20Sheet%202.04.pdf

Random utility
gurpscalculator.com

Magic System comparisons
http://pastebin.com/4Wk6gB2D (HTTP)

Planet and star generator:
http://higarashi.big-metto.net/upload/CeleNavigation/CelestialNavigation_x86.zip

Innate Attack Calculator, missing some modifiers:
www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/g4innatecalc.html
>>
Old Thread >>>>44201149

"But why GURPS?"

1) The splatbooks/worldbooks are universally written by people who know what they're talking about. The Fantasy book is written by archaeologists and historians, the Space book is written by astrophysicists, the Guns book is written by gun experts, etc. The factual mistakes are few and far between, and almost always acknowledged later. They give great advice on how to make believable worlds, how FTL affects society, how magic changes warfare, how real supernatural elements change secret societies... or how to ignore all realism and make whatever setting you want in a way that players can't take advantage of. They're great reads, even if you don't use the system.

2) GURPS has rules to handle anything. You don't need to use them all (why bother with rules for asphyxiating in a vacuum in a game about biker gangs?) but they're there. So if a game doesn't go where you expect, and your party of adventurers buy a wagon and start managing a merchant caravan company, there are books to support that style of play in a systemic way, integrated with the core rules in a way that makes sense. This also makes it great for crazy blends of game. Dungeonpunk with automatic firearms? Yes.

3) GURPS by default uses "heroic realism". This is when the odds on the heroes' sides but reality doesn't bend for them. Two bullets will knock a human unconscious (but not immediately kill him - this is fairly realistic) but hitting a moving target more than 100m away in a firefight is hard as hell. It suits games that go for a realistic or gritty feel and gives a break from the slightly cartoony damage sponges in games like D&D but can be customised with optional rules to change the feel from "Fuck You, There Are No Heroes and the World is Shit" right up to "The Heroes are Good and Always Triumph Over Evil". Incidentally, what makes it heroic realism also makes it the best game on the market to play a game about Operators Operating Operationally.
>>
>>44319381
I'll give my answer on that question:
1. Because GURPS covers almost all games I care to play, and making a conversion to GURPS usually faster, than learning and entire new system.
2. Because I like combat in GURPS. At it's base it is simple, yet there is enough options to make it as complex as you want it to be. It can give all the spectrum of feelings: from gritty and dangerous combat with "one mistake - one corpse" to heroic battle with lots of HP and good defences from either side, "swing it away".
3. GURPS designed as constructor. Seeing that I mainly play my own settings, that is a blessing. In other systems, I always begin with extensive homeruling to shape system up to my liking - and players don't always like it. In GURPS it is expected and encouraged.
4. GURPS have metric tons of skills, advantages and equipment. In most cases, it also have the rules to create them.
5. Almost every character can be created in GURPS. Almost every ability you imagine can be created in GURPS.
>>
I need a hand guys.

I'm going to play a robot who was accidently programmed with emotions in a steampunk setting. How can I stat this in only 100 points?
>>
Playing Drifter campaign in GURPS

y/n?
>>
>>44320480

Take as many disadvantage as you can

ALL OF THEM
>>
Can anyone help me stat a Glock 20 10mm?

I'm finding conflicting things online and I'm not sure what to go with.
>>
>>44321612
>Glock 20 (1990-), 10¥25mm Auto: Dmg 3d-1 pi+, Wt. 2.4/0.7, Shots 15+1, ST 10, Rcl 4.
High-Tech p101.
>>
>>44320583
disadvantage limit?
>>
>>44321767
Thanks, I was using the weapon tables PDF that didn't include that.

Do I just use the default 9mm range listing for 10mm? Is that actually appropriate?
>>
>>44321876
>>44321767
Oh, And also accuracy. Seems to me that 10mm would vary greatly from standard 9mm
>>
>>44321876
>>44321905
That's the same as the default Glock, whichever one they used as base.
>>
Is the cost of a mag including one mag's worth of ammo, or just the mag itself?
>>
>>44322037
Cost: Weapons with detachable magazines (or other
removable feed devices) have two costs separated by a
slash. The first is the price of an unloaded weapon with
one empty magazine. The second is the price of a spare
empty magazine.
>>
How well does GURPS Update convert stuff from 3e to 4e?
>>
>>44326023
Characters? Mostly OK: templates optimised in 3rd might be less efficient if translated directly to 4th but usually they will be useable. Racial templates will need their ST fixing and might need IQ and DX bonuses toning down a little.

Other stuff, mostly doesn't convert at all. Either it's useable as is or the conversion doesn't get covered in the update document.
>>
>>44326844
Thanks
>>
I'm going to be playing in a supers game soon, and I'm not really sure how to build a power I thought of. Basically the gist of it is that I can summon arms out of small portals at range, but only if the portal origin point is unobserved. I can also store shit in the portal space, so the arms can snatch things or I can arm them beforehand.

It's 400pts, btw
>>
I'm new to GURPS. I thought about having my first adventure start in a large prison.

Are there any good books for prisons? The setting will probably be mostly futuristic.
>>
>>44334622
Gurps Ultratech, probably.

Like the other "generic era books" Lowtech and Hi-tech, it has information about security and building materials and things that are not directly equipment and guns.

It would set you up to answer the question "how tough are the walls?" or "how tough are the doors?" or "what is a forcefield like?"

It also has a variety of weapons that you might reasonably assume a prison security force would use, depending on how nice or not nice they are. There are a lot of effective stunners, but also you know, friggin' death rays.

And things like robots, if you wanted robot guard dogs, etc.

And things like laser fences (silly and actually maybe effective, etc.)
You'll probably have to contrive something for the PC's to actually hurt guards, or have them live with "well, you better punch him in the face/stab him in the neck" because even the lowest tech Ultra-Tech tier personal body armor is potentially pretty robust against a guy trying to shank you. like, you can get pretty cheap body sleeve deals and very little would be exposed. If the guards were ready and in riot mode they would also have a helmet with a visor.

So you would have to use quite a lot of force, or grab them and work from there.

Which would be hard unless you surprised them.

Fun little adventure it sounds like.
>>
>>44332687
Storing shit in a pocket realm is Payload (Extradimensional, +50%).

The arms themselves are probably best dealt with as Telekinesis (Visible, -20%; Lift Only, -20%) as a base; the arms allow you to pick up and manipulate things at range, but because they're anchored in one spot, they don't let you move objects a significant distance. The stickler is the unobserved points of origin. I'm tempted to slap on Surprise Attack (+150%), as the arms don't sprout directly from you and can easily be used to backstab a motherfucker.

One question: do the arms disappear if someone observes the portal, or does it not matter as long as no one saw the act of the portal opening itself?
>>
Does anyone use an alternative cost of disadvantages with self-control rolls (Honesty[-10] – Honesty(9 or less) [-15])? I look at the DF templates and I think my players would prefer having less disadvantages (with more severe rolls).
Oh, and does anyone use "Ham Clause" optional rule?
>>
File: 1442017161558.jpg (88 KB, 650x888) Image search: [Google]
1442017161558.jpg
88 KB, 650x888
Okay I have a question. In the GM screen for Melee Attack modifiers, it says that a -2 modifier applies to attacks while holding a large shield. Yet I can't find a more detailed explanation of this modifier anywhere in the Basic Set. Does a more detailed explanation exist? Because I really don't think this modifier should apply, but I would like to hear GURPS's explanation for it since they're usually right.

Also are there rules for damage or attack bonuses when charging an opponent with a thrusting weapon, therefore building up momentum before the attack?

Thanks mateys.
>>
>>44341192
I got no real knowledge backing it up but if it's not in the Basic Set I'd look into Martial Arts. At the least I think MA has a perk to remove the -2 when using large shields.
>>
>>44341192
The penalty exists because DB3 shields are huge enough that they tend to get in the way without special training; said special training is the Shield Wall perk.

Martial Arts introduces a variant where you can replace the ST component of any thrusting attack with your slam damage if higher. Good for charging centaurs, leaping dragoons, etc.
>>
>>44336265
>alternate cost
You mean the cost based on the self-control number? Yeah, that's standard. The values given in templates only give the default value (SC of 12); it's assumed that if you want to resist more or less frequently you'll do the multiplier yourself. It's worth noting, though, that IRL having an SC of 9 is bordering the cannot-live-unassisted territory, so don't overdo it. Someone with Bad Temper (15) is someone we would consider to have serious anger issues IRL, Bad Temper (12) is one of those office legends where you know the guy has anger problems even if you've never met the man, Bad Temper (9) means there's a good chance the person has been to at least one or two court-ordered anger management sessions, and Bad Temper (6) means they're more likely than not institutionalized. A character with Bad Temper (15) can and will still fly off the handles all the time, but that (15) means they know – mostly – how to reign it in when it's really not appropriate to lose your cool. Bad Temper (6) literally cannot stop themselves from lashing out at damn near everything, whether it be monsters, dragons, respected knights, the king, a vampire, etc.

As for the Ham Clause, can't help you there; I just learned about it recently and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It certainly looks good but I don't have any direct experience with it.
>>
Which books are the different magic systems in? I'd like to read up on them a bit more, but I'd rather not go spelunking through random books hoping to find what I'm looking for.
>>
>>44344962
Any book that starts with the title thaumatology. Thaumatology proper has a bunch, Thaumatology - ritual path magic and Thaumatology - sorcery are both popular smaller books detailing the titular systems.
>>
>>44345095
While there are a few outliers – i.e. Thaumatology: Alchemical Baroque is actually a setting with little new stuff in the way of magic systems – you're correct. There are some others, though. Powers: Divine Favor is a minisplat with one of my favorite GM hands-on magic systems (which is rare because I normally hate those systems). Power-Ups: Imbuements is the go-to system for blademagic. Monster Hunters: Xenology is a variant of RPM meant to emulate technowizardry.
>>
>>44345095
>>44345176

Cool, thanks a ton for the advice, anons. You're super helpful.
>>
>@find sorcery!
>@search sorcery!
>@find steve jackson
I really hope it's one of you fucks, kek.
>>
>>44346113
What happened?
>>
I'm new to gurps, and maybe i've missed it, but how exactly do you handle enemies? does every enemy/NPC need a character sheet all the same as the PCs?

First campaign we're running is a medieval type one with some super human abilities and chi type stuff.
>>
>>44347505
I should say new GM
>>
>>44348101
Guidance is along the lines of just in time, or speed-of-plot definition.

Give an npc two to three adjectives, at least one good, and one bad, and maybe a motivation. Guess how good they are at a given skill when it is relevant.

Right out enemies... Are trickier, there is CER for dungeon fantasy, and I think something called BAD for action or monster Hunter to scale encounter difficulty.

A "kinda" quick rule of thumb: calculate party average DR, and aim for just enough power to overcome that as much as necessary. Calculate average party damage, give the enemy enough DR and HP to last as long as seems fun... Except for annoyance level enemies which should be downed in one hit. Others are down at 0, and only plot relevant and boss characters get rolls to survive.
>>
>>44348382
Im running a party of two as well. Any tips for combat for a low number like that/does anything change, what should i avoid, etc.
>>
>>44348382
In which Dungeon Fantasy article does CER appear?
>>
>>44348523
Pyramid number 77, page 29.
>>
>>44348964
Awesome! Thanks a lot, honey.
>>
>>44335476
Once the portal is opened, doesn't matter if someone can see it
>>
>>44343712
Thanks for a detailed reply, but I do know all that; perhaps 'alternative' was a bad choice for describing it.
My question, however, was about the use, as in 'how often in your DF templates-based games a different self-control number for the listed disadvantages comes up?; How aware are players of such an option? '
>>
>>44348484
I'm not an expert but some basic guidelines.
1. Loads of enemies are dangerous. If you really want the two man team to ever fight a horde all at once, most enemies should not be given defenses and should die in one hit.
2. Totally incapacitating afflictions or bindings can be a Total Party Kill if it can get both at once.
3. Strongly recommend, or make luck a mandatory advantage if you are worried about someone getting downed. If they are getting knee deep in bad stuff and the only people they can trust to save each other are each other, then staying alive is important.
4. If combat is important, strongly recommend, or require combat reflexes and high pain threshold. They add a lot more to survivability than their point costs would indicate.
>>
For anon with the blog: regarding the sleep affliction, isn't DX 1, like, borderline crippling? Do any typical monsters even have it that low?
>>
>>44352901
I noticed that I misinterpreted the affliction thing... It is take the percentage value of sleep for an affliction (+150%) convert that to Character Points (15)
*and the missing step*
Divide by 5.
So that allowed me to add back a ton of stats. I already updated the article.
>>
>>44351019
I'd say that's worth, at most, -5% as a nuisance effect. In anything but a bare cube of a room, you would have ample corners and undersides damn near everywhere; you can 1v1 a dude and have them sprout out your opponent's back or the ground behind them. Unobservable point of origin is very cool flavorwise but it isn't very limiting mechanically, hence the pittance discount.
>>
>>44351068
Ah my apologies.

This obviously just applies to my group, but in general most of my players go towards higher self-control rolls; when the chips are down, my players like dictating their characters' actions. The exception is disadvantages with base values of -15 or -5; they don't divide by two evenly and dealing with 7-point disadvantages is a pain when you're trying to fit a specific budget, so those disadvantages are either passed over (if they aren't important to the character concept) or kept at 12 (if they are).
>>
File: barbarian1.jpg (347 KB, 589x846) Image search: [Google]
barbarian1.jpg
347 KB, 589x846
With the death of my last campaign due to player issues (more than half of the players are now exes, the ratio is too high), I'm spinning up the idea of a GURPS commerce campaign set in a fantasy world.

Basic idea: war between Gods started ice age, most people responded by moving into the Conveniently Spacious Underground. Surface is an icy hell hole for 3/4 of the time, underground is full of angry giant ant-monsters called "bugbears," two main religious factions modeled on Scandinavian Polytheism and Tantric Buddhism/Taoism respectively. Tech level is ~Viking Age, major sentient species include humans, pygmies, and goblins.

I’d love some input on the commercial side of things. The players will be merchants, wheeling and dealing between underground city-states ranging from overcrowded, Chinese-style bureaucracies who sleep in submarine shifts, to sun-worshipping Norse-types who bring the solar fire to the depths to plunder their foes. What trading systems work best? I looked at a few space games, the Suns of Gold Rules from Stars Without Number is my current plan, but if there are any rules already set up for a medieval environment I would appreciate the time that would save. I’m getting Low-Tech for Christmas, have Magic, Fantasy, Thaumatology, Powers, and some irrelevant books as well. Any thoughts?
>>
>>44354262
How does Stars Without Number's trade rules work? More generally, what are you looking for in a trading system? A catalog of goods with prices? Specialized haggling rules? Also, how much of an impact do you want the dice to have?

A generic answer would be Spaceships 2: Traders, Liners, and Transports; it has, among other things, generalized trade rules that hit the fine line between active haggling with every customer and 100% in-the-background monthly job rolls and has a list of potential cargo; while it's for a space game, it should be easy enough to file the serial numbers off and use it for a fantasy game. For example, apply the trade classifications to each town instead of a planet and replace high-tech cargo (Radioactive) with low-tech/fantasy equivalents (Unstable Magical Materials). You'd probably want to divide everything by quite a bit, as the default cargo costs are per ton and that's a little extreme for a low-tech caravan.
>>
File: barbarian2.jpg (40 KB, 373x581) Image search: [Google]
barbarian2.jpg
40 KB, 373x581
>>44354698
I'm planning on coming up with a set of goods for trade, then have a relative scarcity/abundance cost modifier in different regions. This, along with modifiers for "friction" (how much money gets lost with necessary bribery, petty theft from shipments, tariffs) in different regions is the basis of the Stars Without Number trade rules. It has rules for how to reduce friction with quests and whatnot.

I think the dice should be somewhat important, after all sometimes there are local shortages or surpluses that couldn't have been expected, but there should be an underlying logic the players should be able to game. I don't want the characters to just roll dice and get good prices, I want the trade element to be very important. I want to hear players discuss where they want to unload cargo, weighing issues of price, risk, provisions for distance, and so on, and have that matter when they show up.

I'm definitely applying a bit of a "file off the serial numbers approach," with the current rule set I'm looking at, changing planet specializations to town types, there will probably be fewer relevant types than in an all out space game though, what with the generally higher level of scarcity.

I'll consider that Spaceships 2 book, it's only $8 so it may be worth a look. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>44355453
I highly recommend downsampling, as the splat will either be of significant use (in which case you buy it to show SJG some love) or wholly useless (in which case you lost nothing). I don't want you to waste your dosh on a splat I recommended only for it to be worthless in your upcoming game.

Or I guess I could just summarize the relevant bits.
>>
>>44355553
Okay, the short of it is that trade is broken up into four steps: searching for speculative cargo (does anyone want to sell anything), determining cargo (what is it and how much), buying cargo (wheeling and dealing to buy low), and lastly selling cargo (wheeling and dealing to sell high).

The dice come in at a couple points; you make daily search rolls when looking for cargo to buy or a buyer for your cargo, and the type of cargo and amount available are randomly usually determined (though there's no reason you can't ignore the dice and just pick something). The buying/selling is affected by dice (i.e. when the buyer first approaches the table, they're looking at spending some percentage of the cargo's fair price, form 30% to 170%), but it's also affected by A) personal haggling, whether role-played or left to the dice, and B) the type of cargo and the location's trade classification.

What to buy and where to take it to will hinge upon the trade classifications of the various cities. Every cargo has some price modifiers listed, and these modifiers change the going price of that cargo in a certain city. For example, it's cheaper to buy stuff like grain or flour in cities with a strong agricultural base (i.e. those with the Ag label), so cargo that falls under Grain/Flour/Baked Goods has a price modifier of Ag-2; that buying/selling roll I mentioned earlier has -2 to buy or sell that kind of cargo in that kind of environment, so you can get it for cheaper but you'll sell it for less. To make a profit, you'll need to head to a city that, at the very least, doesn't have the Ag label; best case scenario, you take it to a less developed area (Non-Agricultural, or Na) or blighted wasteland (Extreme, or Ex) and you can sell it for more (Grain/Flour/Baked Goods have Na+2 and Ex+2).

It's honestly a lot simpler than I'm making it sound, sorry.
>>
>>44355928
Note that the above is for standard bulk goods. A town's signature item ("Cruxian Wine, known world-round as the best and from only the finest grapes grown only here!") is better handled as a specific adventure, or at the very least the GM tweaking the prices. Similarly, huge gluts of surplus or shortages aren't really factored into this; an extreme result on the buying/selling price roll implies something like it (e.g. why would a merchant buy your cargo at 150% the fair price unless there's an extreme shortage of it?), but that's it. If you want there to be a shortage of something, though, make the price roll 4d6 instead of 3d6 (favoring higher costs). Similarly, if there's a surplus, have the PCs roll 2d6 (favoring lower costs). Maybe a critical success on an information gathering roll "reveals" an extreme shortage/surplus elsewhere.

Provisions and risk are less trade system and more traveling/exploring rules. DF16: Wilderness Adventure collects all the various rules for trekking through uncivilized lands and could be of use here.

And speaking of risk, cargo can also come with special conditions, such as fragility, handling hazard, questionable legality, etc. This can also be very important.
>>
>>44355453
Look up GURPS Traveller Far Trader, too. It's uh, literally about trading.
>>
So for a mae with a quarterstaff is it viable to cast darkness (The one that blacks out everything totally) and then sound vision.
With everything pitchblack I can start beating up anyone that my character dislikes.

Also how the fuck does hang spell work? Like Im not native english speaker and the description is messing with me.

This spell is cast on another spell to
delay its activation until the caster wills
it. Blocking spells may not be hung.
Hang Spell is cast immediately
before its subject spell, with no delays
between castings.

So I cast this (Said fireball spell or such) at the start of the day or dungeon crawl or whatever.

The caster rolls for the Hang Spell when it is cast; the roll
for the subject spell is not made until it
is activated. Range penalties, spells
“on,” magic resistance, mana level
changes and the like are applied at the
subject spell’s activation time.

So when I use it in the dungeon I roll the hang spell?

The caster must pay full energy
and time costs for the Hang Spell and
its subject must be paid at the time of
casting.

So, uh, I pay the full FP when I use it in the dungeon.

Ok, so the only use I have for this is to avoid the casting time?
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 01.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 01.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I'm still working on vehicles, if anyone has any requests or suggestions. At the moment I'm concentrating on civilian cars and the like.

Not sure how to group 'normal' cars. Should I just have 'small cars', 'medium cars' and 'large cars' or are there better categories I could use?
>>
>>44359194

I'd like some more modern cars, especially "normal" ones, like regular family cars (American- and European-sized).

I'd also like to know what font that is, because it's bang-on exactly like the ones the books use.
>>
>>44358865
I looked at the spell description for a long time, and I don't get it either.
1. Hang Spell is *cast* on a spell (let's call it subject) to delay until the caster wills the subject to be cast.
2. Hang Spell is immediately cast before subject.
3. Do no roll until spells are cast.
4. Caster must pay full cost of hang spell at casting, and the energy of the subject must be paid in full at the casting.

What makes it difficult to understand, regardless of whether you speak English well, is that it seems to call both the setup and execution "casting."

If I were to liberally interpret it for the most benefit possible:
Step 1: Pay Target Spell Energy x 2 (or Target Spell Energy + 2, whichever is worse; mind Mana discounts) and spend casting time. Roll for the Hang Spell now. The spell is now ready.
Step 2: You may maintain the spell in hourly intervals at standard maintenance price of the target spell so that it may continue to hang. If one isn't given, 1/2 mana seems to be the pattern.
Step 3: When desired, the spell may be executed which calls for the roll of the subject spell. There is no delay between Hang Spell and the subject.

The problems I have with this interpretation:
1. the text is really ambiguous about the casting time of the subject. It seems to definitely say you wait the casting time of Hang Spell during the setup, but doesn't mention casting time for the subject at all. I might say it happens during setup as well.
2. It's also incredibly ambiguous when it talks about when the energy cost for the subject spell is paid. For reasons of making this spell as useful as possible, I reason the energy cost is paid while setting up the hang spell.
>>
>>44359231
>I'd also like to know what font that is, because it's bang-on exactly like the ones the books use.

Korrina Bold for the GURPS logo, New Aster Black for the big titles, New Aster Bold Italic for the small titles and good old Times New Roman for the body text.
>>
>>44358865
"Casting" here refers to when you initially set it up. "Activation" is for when the hung spell goes off. Hang Spell is pretty front-loaded; I prefer Delay most of the time myself.
>>
File: 640px-vespa_img_2351.jpg (68 KB, 640x396) Image search: [Google]
640px-vespa_img_2351.jpg
68 KB, 640x396
>>44359194
>Scooters
>no Vespa
>>
>magic systems rundown from the OP
>Sorcery -- Introduced in one of the Pyramid issues...
Alright, that one looks interesting. Does anybody know which magazine was that?
>>
>>44361186
It has a full blown supplement now.

Thaumatology - Sorcery.
It basically uses the mechanics of Powers with a few extras on top, so Powers is also pretty much required to use it (if you want to design new spells.)
>>
>>44353077
Thanks, it was pretty useful.
>>
File: 201511231901.png (51 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
201511231901.png
51 KB, 220x220
>>44361387
Thanks.
>>
Any suggestions on how can I make Mario in GURPS? Just the character not the world.
>>
>>44364841
Super jump, innate attacks that depend on special "common" class ingredients and often have duration: until injured, perk level reputation, because even though the toads respect him as a hero... They will not hesitate to kill you if you lose a minigame. Doesn't breathe (holds breath for a long time) high temperature tolerance in both directions with accessibility : not in water. Might have high levels of judo and some brawling. Climbing and jumping. Cat fall.
>>
>>44365119
Also, maybe it might be better to have a "Super Mario" power modifier. Most abilities require finding the appropriate common item, and only last until sustaining injury. Probably worth about -10% because activation is easy, but annoying, and deactivation is also easy. The accompanying talent for it probably costs ten points.
>>
>>44365119
>>44365207
Thanks. This is pretty awesome. I'm relatively new to GURPS but I love it. I've read the Basics book about three times but the mechanics for him just wasn't clicking. I really appreciate this.
>>
>>44365985
Well, knowing that, I'd try to write out more details, but I'm at my parent's house for Christmas. I don't have my manuals in front of me. But one more option to save some points is switchable abilities, because Mario never is able to (I think) throw fireballs, run fast, throw ice, use propeller helmets, etc. All at the same time. Then you only need to spend points on the most expensive ability, and save 80% on all the "alternate abilities."
>>
File: OrcsAreJustNiggersInGreen.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
OrcsAreJustNiggersInGreen.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
Ayo Ayo, hol up *smacks lips* hol up *steals minis*

If a nigga all out attack manuva is he be roundin' down or up his halved moved yo?

Thank you in advance my good sirs
>>
>>44369357
It's safe to assume all rounding is against the actor's favor, so down in this case.
>>
>>44369357
Basic, page 9. Round down.
>>
>>44366231
This makes a lot of sense. I'm going to read the manual some more and try wrapping my head completely around the variable abilities. I really want to run a GURPS but I know I am know where NEAR being able to run one. Hell I can probably barely play in one. If only I could get a good GURPS GM down here. Ah well. Thanks again and I hope you have a good Christmas.
>>
File: 20151225_083807.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151225_083807.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Merry Christmas, GURPS General.
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 02.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 02.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Updated the vehicle collection, added a bunch of ordinary cars, plus the Vespa and the Land Rover Defender.
>>
My girlfriend got me GURPS Horror for Christmas.
It is now one of the very few physical books I own besides the basic set.
>>
>>44374154
Don't forget UAZ (both the SUV and van versions), it was ubiquitous and it would be pretty useful for adventurers, especially on budget.
>>
>>44373348
>>44374286
Merry Christmas fellow GURPSfags. Roll 1d, 1d, 1d to determine your present.
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 6 = 10 (3d6)

>>44375544
As this is a Christian image board, I prefer the term GURPSfriend, please. c:
>>
Help me out, GURPS-gen.

I want my character to be able to start a gang, as in, actually recruit some random/inclined people on the street to join him/the party in doing shady shit or murdering people.

How do I go about that mechanically? The only thing I don't want is to take advantages like Ally, Group of Contacts, Dependents etc, something that exchanges points for NPCs.

Skills and advantages that would help me acquire mooks but not provide mooks for points are a fair game.
>>
>>44375919
There's the rules on hirelings in the Basic Set on page 517 if you're willing to throw cash at these people.
>>
>>44375957
Something very close, but I'd rather not roll once a week for a guy to appear but pick up folks in bars and other shady places. What would I need to use/roll to persuade them to join, even for money?
>>
>>44375919
It's just a really really god reaction/influence roll; streetwise and intimidate will be your go-to skills for getting underlings (public speaking and leadership are great for keeping them/getting them to actually follow you), and you should pick up any advantage that makes those skills better (charisma, smooth operator, etc.); a good Reputation and (the appearance of) positive Status are typical for gang heads.

The specific rules will be very similar to hirelings like >>44375957 recommended; instead of promising steady stable pay, gang leaders sell stories of huge heists and lucrative drug deals. Failing to deliver would reduce the gang member's loyalty. Gangers with more romantic motives (another gang killed their little bro and they want revenge, they're a fuck-da-police anarchist, etc.) would be a stupidly high loyalty roll; the pay doesn't matter that much, and they're more likely to stick with you through thick and thin.

If you don't have Social Engineering, Loyalty represents the bond between the hireling and the hirer. It starts out equal to the reaction roll (e.g. someone that got a 18, an Excellent result, on a hiring roll nets a hireling with Loyalty-18, meaning they'll almost never abandon their employer even after a load of bullshit) or 15 on a successful influence roll. I really recommend picking up Social Engineering, but I can post more in a bit (family is arriving so obligations will be pulling me away from anons).
>>
>>44376172
Sorry, no Social Engineering in current campaign.

I'd love to hear from you again though, you've already explained things pretty good, but if you got more in store, please post away.
>>
>>44375689
You got it, GURPSfriend. Merry Christmas.
>>
>>44376438
As this is a safe (blue) board, I'd appreciate if you could refrain from using "Merry Christmas" and instead used "Happy Holidays". Thank you!
>>
File: GURPS.png (138 KB, 426x592) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.png
138 KB, 426x592
>>
>>44376523
Filling a fountain pen with contact poison to squirt at somebody seems both effective and hilarious as an assassination weapon.
>>
Are the reflex vests from Ultra-Tech considered hard armour for purposes of piercing and cutting damage, and flexible for all else? It doesn't make it super clear, and the *Flexible mark only appears at the end of the DR listing, and I'm not sure if that's just for the lower, or for both.
>>
Can someone tell in which issue of Pyramid are the Last Gap rules, please?
>>
>>44376289
I wrote out a long-ass post, but fuck it this page from DF15: Henchmen has everything I said and more. Roll Streetwise to find suitable candidates as per Hirelings (p. B517), then the GM makes a secret Loyalty roll as described in pic related. I'd say most gangbangers are Status -2, meaning they'd have an expected monthly income hovering around $500-$550 in a TL8 setting – I'm honestly unsure of how much a gangbanger makes in a month, so if anyone has more concrete numbers, either IRL or from a GURPS books, feel free to toss them out.

Note that the above rules are all based on personal relationships. Once your gang starts growing to the point its needs middlemen (e.g. the three shits that work downtown answer to Tony, and Tony answers to you), it should be treated more as an actual organization. There are, of course, rules for this as well, and I'll gladly post some if you think they'd be at all relevant.

>>44378628
#3/44 Alternate GURPS II.
>>
File: My nigga.png (165 KB, 330x346) Image search: [Google]
My nigga.png
165 KB, 330x346
>>44379233
>#3/44 Alternate GURPS II
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>44378041
Normally no; flexible is flexible, it's not divided by injury type. However, the name and ultra tech nature of the armor makes me cautious. I'll check my books and get back to you on this.
>>
>>44380846
"Ballistic armor is flexible with a split DR: it provides full protection against piercing and cutting attacks, and uses its reduced DR against all other types of damage" See, I saw that, but then:
"During normal handling, the armor is very flexible, but when a bullet or fragment strikes it, it becomes a rigid material."
Seems to contradict it.
>>
>>44381254
I think that's just flavor text that explains why something that feels like t-shirt material can stand up to bullets. If it were a rules change, I think we'd see a more blatant rules-jargon sentence that explicitly states that the armor is not treated as flexible for injury types X or Y.
>>
>>44381389
Alright, I suppose I can work with that, though it does really sound like it should be considered hard armour for bullets. That's the theory behind dilatant armour (Or as GURPS calls it, reflex armour), is it not?
>>
>>44381456
Yes, the area around the bullet hardens, but it's localized; the KE of the round transfers to the hardened part of the armor and then to the flexible material around it. For it to not count as flexible, the entire piece would have to harden instead of the impact zone.

At least I think so. I'm honestly just pulling shit out my ass at this point.
>>
Does anyone have GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 17: Guilds? I can't find it in the Mega folder.
>>
>>44379233
My experience is mainly with low-level guys in Compton and the west side of LA. None of them were the violent 'gangbanger' stereotypes you'd expect; all they did was deal weed and a little coke (if they're still in the game I'll bet they've added meth by now), but they all lived very comfortably. Generally, they'd work in an all-night business like a liquor store, deal on the side (usually on the clock), and pull in $4-5k monthly, with the drugs making up the majority of their income. Not sure how USD circa 2005-10 translates to GURPS $, though.

YMMV tho; consult your local Crips or Latin Kings.
>>
>>44382345
someone posted it in the last thread or the one before that. I didn't download it; hopefully some kind anon can help you out.
>>
File: GGv03.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GGv03.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44382345

It's in the other MEGA archive.

https://mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ

https://mega.nz/#!P5sgxIRA!mYthOAUQ7x03bGoIvXZ_qML9zHdHs3-JIzDlRAXVV58
>>
>>44385961
inb4DMCA
>>
>>44376502
Ya no. I just got done reading the rules and they don't say anything about not wishing someone a " Merry Christmas ". Seriously what the hell is unsafe about Merry Christmas? Get it together man. It's about the feels. So Happy Hanukkah and have an enjoyable Kwanzaa. Jing jingle jingle fa la la la la have a HAPPY HOLIDAY.
>>
>>44375689
>Christian image board

lol
>>
>>44387362
"Merry [-mas]" is triggering and hurts the feels of people who don't celebrate this particular holiday and/or are of a different faith.
>>
>>44387748
Its a good thing anybody stupid or crazy enough to be offended by Merry Christmas is not taken seriously by anybody. Especially since a pretty big chunk of the people celebrating it are non religious.

I wonder how many points 'gets triggered by Merry Christmas greetings' is worth as a disadvantage.
>>
>>44387781
-1, it's a quirk.
If it reaaally causes your character distress, might be a -10 for CR12 if in-game time is about the holiday season and not planned to go much further than that.
>>
I love Sorcery!
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 03.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 03.pdf
1 B, 486x500
More vehicles: some ATVs and aircraft added.

I think I might try some armoured fighting vehicles next.
>>
>>44390416
Yet again, I'm sorry, but Small Passenger Plane section really needs An-2.
>>
>>44383586
>consult your local Crips or Latin Kings.
This is definitely a great idea.
>>
>>44390416
I forgot, are you building these with 3e Vehicles and converting them or are you just eyeballing everything from realworld values? Either way it's kickass, but I'm curious.
>>
In low-tech, it says the Musket can be wielded with a strength of 12 while on a rest. Suppose a player wanted to wield it without one. Would that increase the strength needed to wield it, or would it remain the same?

Also, suppose a player wanted to put a bayonet onto a matchlock gun. Ruleswise, there's nothing that prevents this, but bayonets weren't used on early guns because they were too heavy. To simulate this, I think attaching a bayonet to the weapon should either introduce a penalty to the skill you'd normally use to melee with it, or it should increase the strength needed to use the weapon. Or both, perhaps.

Lastly, early firearms had trouble with breachloading due to gas leakage and the lack of machine tools necessary to properly craft guns that could have resealable breaches. If I were to make these guns available in a campaign, I could I best simulate these deficiencies?
>>
A TL 10^ world where demographic factors led to partially-biological robots to be far more common than humans, and then the apocalypse happened.

What sort of things might the Boss of a band of slave-taking, village-extorting pirates do in combat? The target village is in the ruins of a large city, so rappeling and suchlike can be used to slip past defences-villages don't have enough resources to wall off the whole city, an enterprising bandit can jump or tight-rope between skyscrapers to get over the walls that do exist.

I'm thinking this lady should have a pheremone spray, an ultratech blade on her forearm, but other than that I'm not so sure. Emphasis would be on terror and slave-taking, not pure murder.
>>
>>44396440
I should add, the Pirate Boss is also a martial artist of some skill. I haven't designed a style for her yet, though. Imbuements are a thing, as are cinematic skills, and cyber or bio-enhancements. However, anything she has on her would have to be either built to last or low-tech; it's been a while since the apocalypse.
>>
File: this is how I Call of Cthulhu.gif (86 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
this is how I Call of Cthulhu.gif
86 KB, 600x600
If you're getting into a game with lots of psi and spooky mind-bending shit, is it worth to pump up Will?
>>
>>44390416
I just want to say thanks for this. I hope to see more.
>>
Could someone better at math than me give some figures on how much Basic/Enhanced Move would I need to reach sound speed?
>>
>>44398817

John Smith/Jane Doe in GURPS with a score of 0 has a move of 5.
Speed of sound is 375.109 yards/second, or rounded up, 376 move.
Divide it by move 5, get 75.2...
divide that by 2, 7 times to get less than 1... so you need more than 6. (64x)
7 is 128x, but you don't need that much, so 6.5 (96x) gets us to 480 yards a second, faster by a wide margin than necessary. So if you stick with move 5 (0 points) you need enhanced move 6.5 (130 points) for a total of 130, or you can go to move 6 (5 points) and go with enhaned move 6 for 120 points, which goes 384 yards a second, total 125 points.
>>
>>44396008
ST values for firearms is for firing without a rest/mount point. Anyone can fire a musket in a rest, but someone with ST 12 can fire a musket from the shoulder unassisted. Keeping ST 12 for a bayonet attack is limiting enough realistically; ST 12 is pretty high so most soldiers would suffer penalties when making melee attacks. Low Malf. is the best way to represent iffy guns.

>>44396440
>>44396476
Replace the blade with an artifact ultra-tech stun baton (as a pirate boss she's probably had her pick of the loot, so one choice weapon isn't too extreme, and batons would likely be pretty sturdy anyway) and you're good enough. Honestly though, for slave taking, most any approach to combat is the wrong one; your best bet is to brutally take down one or two in a group and use the circumstantial bonus to Intimidation to get the rest to throw down their weapons and surrender. With cinematic options, though there are plenty of options like attacks that target FP instead of HP or inflict binding.

>>44397468
Generally yes, though in Horror games it's against the genre to go too high; you should be getting scared in a horror game. If it's horror-action though and you're expected to fight terrors, high Will/levels of Fearlessness and the perk that increases your cap vs. fear checks is prime investment.
>>
>>44390416
Hey I like what you're doing here but man, you should really stop posting this here and submit a proposal to the SJG staff. You might make some bucks offa this.
>>
>>44396476
>>44396440

Well.

I've decided on Brawling and Acrobatics, with Acrobatic kicks (axe kick and spin kick) forming the core of her fighting style. She has claws on her feet and hands, and a similar little slicy thing on her prehensile tail.

The tail packs an Ecstasy affliction, the claws a Euphoria one, and she has Sex Pheremones from Bio-tech. Blade is Superfine or whatever.

>>44399476
Mmm, I might hand her one of those-though it won't be effective against the PC she's going up against. I was thinking her underlings would handle most of the capturing, while she executes/breaks anyone who tries to play hero.
>>
>>44399476

That was the thought. How crippling would you say a chance to cause damage to your hand based on the rules similar to what a critical failure does (jamming the gun, right?), but also on a 15 and 16 in addition to a 17 or 18?

If I'm not mistaken, that gives a 9.3% chance for the gun to harm you. The reason for this is because there's no set amount of shots you could take with an early breachloaded musket before a gas leakage would burn you, but it was bound to happen, and only gets more likely the more you use it.
>>
For the blog guy: reagent gathering. Did you know there was a Kromm's writeup in Pyramid 3/66 Laws of Magic, article 'The Material Difference'? What are your thoughts on that?
>>
File: fuckno.gif (2 MB, 460x341) Image search: [Google]
fuckno.gif
2 MB, 460x341
>>44399579

>>The tail packs an Ecstasy affliction, the claws a Euphoria one, and she has Sex Pheremones from Bio-tech.
>>
File: Madmax2.jpg (23 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
Madmax2.jpg
23 KB, 400x261
>>44400267
To be more specific; the ecstasy affliction is set so the PC in that fight is all but garunteed to resist it. So they get to go have fun beating up a sexual deviant with entirely too much martial power and resources for everyone else's safety.
>>
>>44390890
>Yet again, I'm sorry, but Small Passenger Plane section really needs An-2.

I will add it once I find enough information to do a proper write-up.

>>44395266
>I forgot, are you building these with 3e Vehicles and converting them or are you just eyeballing everything from realworld values?

A mixture of both of those, plus using the WW2 stuff and Spaceships. Mostly it's just using the real-world values, but sometimes there isn't enough data available and I need to do it the hard way.

>>44399548
>Hey I like what you're doing here but man, you should really stop posting this here and submit a proposal to the SJG staff. You might make some bucks offa this.

Writing for SJG would mean I had to (a) demonstrate that I was in some way qualified to write about the subject, which I am not really (b) put the extra effort into dealing with putting a proposal together (c) write everything in SJG standard (which involves getting a copy of Microsoft Word which can do the right output, actually writing to a high standard, etc.) and (d) waiting months before sharing it with anyone. In exchange, I'd get maybe $20 (pyramid article) to $200 (successful PDF), which might cover the cost of microsoft office if I'm lucky.

Overall, I think I'd rather give back to the community by doing something for free.
>>
>>44400249
Where is blog guy's blog?
>>
>>44400843
I'm Blog Guy, my blog is
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/

I read the reagent gathering article actually recently. It's kind of a mixed thing for me. It is somewhat close to what I'm looking for, but the numbers coincide with the vanilla magic enchanting system.

That said, if you like the regular magic system, my opinion, it sounds like a good idea. The problem I have is that enchantment energy in vanilla magic is hard to convert to anything else. It's not equivalent to RPM energy, it's not equivalent to Sorcery character points, and there isn't a firm 1:1. I prefer those two systems most of the time; powers, sorcery, and metatronic generators especially when talking about item enchantment. I guess the simple solution is guessing a fair conversion factor from enchantment points to character points... but that starts a cascading issue where you try to fix just one thing and that causes another problem, like how certain reagents have a value based on how much they would cost as advantages.

To reiterate: good if you like the regular magic system, nontrivial to make a balanced conversion to other, more flexible systems.
>>
I love GURPS!
>>
page 10, seriously
>>
>>44399182
Wow, that is lot less than I expected. But I guess the speed of light would be MUCH more expensive, light is like 88 million times faster than sound, right?
>>
>>44406301
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=log_2+%283.279e%2B8%2F5%29
Takes about enhanced move 26, or 520 points to walk slightly faster than the speed of light.
>>
File: fuckoffdude.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
fuckoffdude.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>44400362

You misunderstand. Perhaps my earlier gif was too vague.

This gif should make my feelings on your character clear.
>>
>>44406301
It's worth noting that, since you're achieving this through Enhanced Move, only your *top* speed is the speed of sound. At Basic Move 6 and with Enhanced Move 6, it would take over a minute of running in a fairly straight path along an even surface to break the sound barrier. While useful, it certainly has less utility than being able to pop in and out of extreme velocities whenever you want (it also take a minute to safely decelerate; do it in less and you run the very likely risk screwing up and skidding over enough pavement to reduce yourself to a finely ground chuck, and that's if you're "lucky" enough to not hit something beforehand).
>>
>>44406414
Wasn't there a Cosmic enhancement like "Instant Acceleration/Deceleration" that just let you go as fast as you wanted from the get go and stop on whim?
>>
>>44406442
Yep, but adding them all in (they're actually three +50% Cosmic enhancements) increases the cost to 305 points. While that's still cheap for being able to do stuff like that, it is more expensive. Also it's Cosmic (actually three Cosmics, to be precise), so it's probably safer to assume a hypothetic GM won't allow them in just any game; it'd totally be fine in a four-color supers game, though.
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 04.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 04.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Vehicles added: tractors and light tanks.

Here's what I've got planned to add at the moment:

Another subcompact (maybe a 1930's bubble car).
Split Family and Executive Cars, add a couple more vehicles to each (no idea what, but probably one TL 6 and one TL 8 to family cars and one TL7 ad another TL 8 to Executive).
Several categories of Motorcycle, with around three vehicles in each.
Minibuses.
Sports Cars.
At least one more Grand Saloon, Light Truck and Medium Truck.
Heavy Truck category with a couple of vehicles.
Add the An-2 to Light Planes.
Another Light Tank (probably the PT-76).
Medium Tanks (probably M3 Lee, T-34, Panther).
Heavy Tanks (Type IV, KV-1, Char B1).
Main Battle Tanks (M48, T54, Centurion).
Assault Guns and Tank Destroyers (no idea which ones yet).
APCs (M113, BTR60, probably include the SdKfz 251 and Universal Carrier here too).
Maybe IFVs as their own category.
Maybe a couple of self-propelled artillery pieces.
Several warships.
A few commercial ships.
Some hovercraft.
Fighter Aircraft, both prop and jet.
Bombers, ditto.
Helicopters: Gunships, Utility, not really sure how many types of helicopter there are.
Some trains.
Some submarines.
Airships.

That's at least seventy more vehicles. I suspect that I will think of at least a couple more categories as I go along, so call it another 80.

So far I've done 39 in about ten pages, so final page count is likely to be around 30 and the project should be complete sometime mid-January if I keep working at my current pace (more likely I will slack off and lose interest, but we'll see).
>>
>>44407186
>Medium Tanks
M3 Lee is a bit useless unless you really want to give a ride to a big party. Put M48 or M60 in this category, instead of MBT
>Heavy Tanks
Maybe Soviet T-10 as example of post-war heavy tank?
>Main Battle Tanks
Abrams is a must-have. I was surprised they didn't include it in HT!
>Assault Guns and Tank Destroyers
Soviet ISU-152 or one of the post-war assault guns (Nona, Sprut). Hetzer or Stug IV. Modern wheeled tank destroyer (such as B1 Centauro)
>APCs
Don't forget to include some MRAP here.
>IFVs
Any BMP and any modern wheeled one
>Helicopters
Apache, Chinook, Mi-8, Bell-206. I think it will cover most stuff (stats for light helicopters and Mi-24 already exist). Maybe add some European helicopter and replace Apache with another attack heli so this category wouldn't be so dominated by Americans.
>>
>>44407186
>Several categories of Motorcycle, with around three vehicles in each.
I think that would be an overkill. Couple of sport bikes, one cruiser (doubles as police bike), one or two choppers, couple of utility bikes (BMW R75, Soviet Ural, don't forget sidecars for both), one mountain bike, one bike from 20s-30s.
>>
Continuing my work on the post-apoc bandits from
>>44399579
>>44396440
>>44396476

What sort of low-tech weapons do people think are neat for the grunt bandits? I'm thinking they'd of a setup like this one

>2-3 javelins or a bow
>Bolas or Lariat
>knife or a club

Repurposed ultratech tools are also an option for combat weapons, though I'm not sure what would be good there. Maybe some kind of laser hacksaw?
>>
>>44407870
Anything from Flail and Kusari category. Flails were always liked by criminals, and bike chains are the modern equivalent. Some especially crazy individuals may use saw blades on chains (Bladed Flail from LTC2)
>>
>>44407870
Ultra-tech does have rules for laser/plasma torches and nail guns in chapter 4, I'd give them some of those.
>>
Is buying 3rd edition books worthless?
>>
>>44408294
Absolutely. GURPS became good in 4e
>>
>>44408294
Only if you like reading their well done fluff and setting modules. The rules got updated enough in 4th ed to encourage converting, and they have reprinted every core book from 3 excluding Vehicles. and really, at this point you can eyeball vehicles, as they have the big ones (spaceships) covered really well
>>
>>44408376
I should probably clarify that I have the basic set in 4e and plan to play 4e. I more mean is picking up cheap 3rd edition supplements off ebay pointless?

I'm looking for "build your own setting" supplements for making a fantasy campaign. Based on research thaumaturgy, low-tech, fantasy seem like definite usefuls. But I was looking at filling some gaps like making religions/about religion, how fantasy war might actually play out, royalty and society, building dungeons and adventure sites, and making monsters in GURPS in general. I was also thinking about picking up Horror because I want to make a setting thats similar to a sort of gothic fantasy horror probably closest to something like Berserk after the golden age arc or van helsing.
>>
What are some good generic/universal rpg systems like GURPS besides HERO and Fate? It doesn't matter how obscure or old it is, I'm curious about mechanics and systems.
>>
>>44408809
If we disregard "good" part, there is BRP, Savage Worlds, FUDGE,
>>
>>44408538
>I more mean is picking up cheap 3rd edition supplements off ebay pointless?

Generally speaking they are OK if you can get them cheap. Actual quality of individual books is pretty variable, a lot more so than they are now. The later ones tend to have better research but unfortunately more rules which are now outdated.
>>
>>44409140
Ah okay I'll probably be better off slowly picking up newer supplements. It will take a bit to read them anyways.
>>
File: aW436YQ[1].png (200 KB, 1440x969) Image search: [Google]
aW436YQ[1].png
200 KB, 1440x969
I made a visual reference for deceptive attack efficacy. It seems like at skill 16 and higher, it is a fool's bet to not at least do one increment of deceptive attack.
>>
>>44409476
Actually, Kromm said that he regrets that they haven't included that as actual rule - any melee attack roll higher than 16 automatically counts as having Deceptive Attack, since you can't have effective skill higher than 16 anyway. I myself prefer to keep effective skill at 14 maximum, and spend the rest on stuff like Deceptive and Targeted attacks.
>>
Page 10, dammit
>>
I wish steven jackson games actually kept shit in print at all. I got the basic set but its like impossible to get a lot of necessary books in print format. I hate using books on a tablet/laptop at the table. It may seem counter intuitive since a tablet is so much easier to carry around but print is just so much more accessible while playing/preparing as a GM.

Self printing the PDF's is an option but then you have to buy the PDF and then print it too and simple hardbacks or supplement compilations end up costing like 50$-90$ in black and white hardback.

It's pretty fucking gay yo. Yet games like Pathfinder or D&D 5e have basically unlimited print availability. Its so frustrating. I want to buy shit but I'm not paying for just a PDF, fuck that.
>>
>>44413083

Seconded, physical bookmarks are such a nice thing.
SJG's plan is that everyone has pdf's so the wont need middlemen, right?
>>
>>44413391
It's mostly a cost cutting measure; printing books, especially nice large hardcovers with color ink and glossy paper and non-shit binding, is hella expensive and a major investment for a niche product they aren't %1000 sure they can sell.

Also the go-to printing service that gets recommended the most is lulu.com. I checked there prices, and the cost for printing the closest approximation of the regular GURPS hardcover plus the cost of buying the PDF legally comes out to about $50 (I tested with the 280-page GURPS: Thaumatology, and the printing costs about $20 and the PDF was $30), which in my experience isn't that far off from what you're expected to pay for most RPG books anyway. I don't know where >>44413083 is getting $90 from, but maybe he's using a rip-off service.
>>
>>44413761
I was refering to lulu.com printing the thaumatology supplements as one book. It comes to 77.49 before tax and shipping.

I was looking at printme1.com for cheap printed spiral books that seemed semi nice for a cheap price. Mainly I'm hoping that since they are more ghetto than lulu.com they won't have any sort of service for checking if a pdf is legit or not.

I'm also looking into just printing and binding the books myself since bookbinding hard covers is a skill I've wanted to acquire for a while now anyways.
>>
>>44414040
>It comes to 77.49 before tax and shipping.
Really? Because I just wen to lulu, picked Professional Hardcover > US Letter Hardcover B&W, and set it to 280 pages (Thaumatology core) and it's listed $19.05 as the manufacturing cost. All the thaumatology supplements together and rounded up to 400 pages still only comes out to $22.65. I assumed they called it "manufacturing cost" because it didn't include shipping and handling or tax, but if you hit $77.49, I have to wonder if they add on stuff later in the purchasing process.

Now, if you're trying to get it in color, yeah the prices increase exponentially up to something closer to your figure (400 pages in US Letter Harcover Color = $85.65), but if that's the case, you're being dishonest because you claimed it was "50$-90$ in black and white hardback."

Also
>wanting to use pirated PDFs as source for hardcover books
Nigga if you like the books enough that you'll shell out dough to have a deadtree version, don't you think that some of that cash should go towards the actual writers/devs of the books?
If they're not worth that much to you and you're using a ghetto-ass service anyway, why not just print them at freaking kinkos?
>>
>>44414340
I was counting as a 297 page book and including the costs of all the pdf's. The lulu part only cost like 19 something. I definitely agree, its just a situation I hate being stuck in with this particular dilemma, I have no problem paying for hardcover or even softcover rpg books.

If I'm printing the product myself though it just feels wrong that I should have to pay near full price for a pdf. Maybe I should just live without printed versions of the books or even versions of the books at all if I want to be super HONORABRU. I'd literally rather not use the rules than pay the costs for those PDF's though. A full 250 page PDF rulebooks should be like $8.99 tops and those <60 page supplements should be $2 and under.
>>
Just about everything in GURPS falls under some skill or another, right? Everything from lifting weights to reprogramming a computer. So, what if you just lowered the default score of every Attribute to like 7, and took out the non-proficient penalties for skills?
Upping your core stats representing a character being 'that smart,' or 'that strong,' but done at the comparatively expensive (to simply raising a skill; which can give you a +3 for 8 points), where as even the cheaper Attributes are 10 for a +1, but then the attributes apply universally.

I'd go so far as to set the baseline for the games at 100pts, and set a maximum count on advantages and disadvantages, but then take away the maximum for disadvantage point value; you've just got to have a reason why your character has said ADV/DIS-es, but they can only have/start with, say, 4 of either (for example; not a final number).
>>
What sort of equipment would work for a wearable Big Daddy-esque drill a player's character can take off/put on?

TL10 game, so the bar is pretty high. Never tried making anything custom in GURPS (I'm just going into my first session soon... maybe... hopefully... help ;_;) so I'm not sure how to go about something custom like this.
>>
>>44415693
High-tech treats drills as pi++ weapons with armor divisors of (2).
>>
File: 1448335417707.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1448335417707.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>I kind of afraid of using GURPS as it seems too complicated for a game to run smoothly. I don't want the to have to roll to cook their food.
Came up in a thread on system recommendation for a WWII game. Besides d20 modern being one of the popular answers, the irrational prejudice people have against GURPS is truly baffling.
>>
>>44319350

I just got GURPS 4th basic set and I'm planning to run a campaign in a scenario like Ghost in the Shell. Which scenario/book should I get/use besides the basic set?
>>
>>44420923
Ultra-Tech. It actually has stats for tachikoma.
>>
>>44418526
>have

Soldiers don't even cook their own food most of the time and even if they did nobody MAKES you roll for anything other than the GM. Ridiculous.
>>
>>44418526
>the irrational prejudice people have against GURPS is truly baffling.
I don't touch it on principle because autists always scream "GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS GURPS!!" when they want to discuss systems.
>>
>>44422642
No, they don't. That almost never happens.

This board is just full of morons who freak out whenever GURPS is suggested for a game concept it would be perfect for. Or people who think universal systems are always bad, see the 'muh specialised system' nonsense.

There is nothing more ridiculous than seeing a thread suggest Pathfinder of all things is a better choice than GURPS for various modern/sci-fi concepts.
>>
>>44422642
Fucking this. I don't know how much of an autist you need to be to actually like the system you are playing or, god forbid, recommend it to someone else. Don't you understand that if someone asks for a system for WW2 or cyberpunk game, you need to recommend them D20 modern or refluffed Pathfinder or Savage Risus?
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 05.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 05.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Some more vehicles:

The Electrobat, a battery-powered taxi... from the nineteenth century.
The Präsident, a classic horseless carriage.
The Honda CB750, first of the superbikes.
The Harley Davidson ServoCar. Yes, Harley made a three-wheeled vehicle... and kept it in production for 4 decades.
Honda's Gyro UP, an ungodly combination of scooter and pick-up truck.
The Kettenkrad, a tiny nazi halftrack that served as the inspiration for the ork wartrakk in 40k.
>>
>>44423470
Stat the Amphibicar next.
And if you do a BMP, remember they're amphibious too.
>>
>>44423550
I think I have to include it just for the quotes...

'A vehicle that promised to revolutionize drowning...'

'We like to think of it as the fastest car on the water and fastest boat on the road.'

Between the schwimmwagen, the amphibicar, the DUKW and various swimming APCs and even tanks, I think I can do a section on amphibious vehicles. Not sure whether to put them in the land vehicles chapter, the watercraft one or give them their own chapter along with hovercraft.
>>
>>44423666
Put them in their normal categories, and make a new amphibious category with them again.
>>
>>44423666
If you're gonna make separate category, consider including this thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO58_ENB64s
>>
>>44414550
My complaint about doing everything in PDF form to save money is that they are still using hella cross-references (To understand this mechanic better, go to book x page y, which then tells you to go to book a, page b, which tells you to go to book 3, page 4.)

Cross references, in my opinion, only work well in hard books where you can have them all open, or some kinda hyper text media like web pages and wikis. If they continue releasing PDFs only, they should just be spelling these one sentence references out instead of peppering cross-references everywhere that come across as a chore at best to hunt down the rabbit hole for the real information, and a "buy more books!" jarring advertising at worse.
>>
>>44424440

What PDF reader are you using?
Mine has tabs like a web-browser so for me it's no problem at all, I can keep 3 or 5 or even 20 books open at a time, one click away. The fact there's a field for going directly to a page makes stuff like this way faster and more comfortable than physical books as well.
>>
>>44424440
>PDFs make cross-referencing harder to follow
What

You can have, literally, every GURPS book open at once and pop over to any page in any document in three seconds. How is that harder than checking cross-references with physical books? Hell, I feel the utility of ctrl+f alone justifies using PDFs.
>>
>>44425030
Well, when playing online, I agree. In three dimensions, using a tablet, it's cumbersome. Is there a good pdf reader for tablets that makes switching books easier? A laptop is slightly too big for my small gaming table that seats 8 and fits an erasable hex grid. Maybe I just need a bigger table so I can have my laptop, notes, and tools all at once.
>>
File: Hold up I need to check the DMG.gif (669 KB, 796x450) Image search: [Google]
Hold up I need to check the DMG.gif
669 KB, 796x450
>>44425374
Not to change the topic, but why are you looking up rules at the table anyway? Once the dice start rolling, holding up the action to look for a rule is anathema to good tone and pacing, regardless of the system. A GM screen with important modifiers and a cheat sheet for session-specific stuff should be all that you use at the game table. Whether digital or dead-tree, sleuthing for cross-referenced rules is something done in preparation. I understand that sometimes situations call for rules in-depth rules and looking things up doesn't kill the pacing (e.g. the players want to enchant or craft or do something intricate during downtime), but that's the exception rather than the norm. When the player wants to rappel down a dragon or do something else unexpected and you don't know the rules for it, roll and shout can be preferable to busting out the books to find their exact yd./sec.

Also, how is a bunch of physical books easier to handle at a game table than a single laptop? They still take up room, arguable more room than the laptop.
>>
>>44424440
In addition to what the others have said, with PDFs I converted them to plain text and use grep to search them. All of them. At once.

Want all examples printed of Higher Purpose? There are 105 of them, not counting Pyramid articles.

Plus, you get to make your own custom version of Lite for each session. If you know you're going to need Poisons rules and knockback and falling damage you rip out pages 437-439, 378, and 430-432 and save them in their own PDF. Now you only have 7 pages you need to reference and can probably even cut that in half. The hole thing takes like 2 minutes to do. I'll never go back to dead tree referencing even though I buy them still for the games I play. Companies that don't produce PDFs don't get my money at all. I don't play their games.
>>
>>44425966
In retrospect, you are right. I have a unique campaign going on right now that is all about using obscure rules, so that is also probably a self imposed problem.

Trying to
1) use a bunch of wildcard skills to keep skill lists short
2) use only classes from Dungeon Fantasy that aren't meant to be used as fighters (bard, thief, artificer, scholar, and innkeeper... Most of them require less commonly used rules.)
3) integrate rules from guilds
4) hand hold newbie GMs and do rotations between adventures to help sharpen each other's skills.

Might be biting off more than we can chew, but we're patient and having fun. I'm the most practiced of the rotating gms at the table.
>>
>>44425966
If I'm being honest I agree that a tablet/laptop makes more sense in almost every way but in my experience I just have shittier sessions using a laptop/tablet. There's something about tons of RPG books at the table along with sprawled out maps, dice everywhere, and soda cans all over the place that sets the environment for gaming at the table. I feel like most GM"s are normally the hosts but I'm a rare example of the travel GM. I carry everything in a massive duffle bag. I bring my books, my GM binder which is filled with notes, charts, maps, ideas, ect, pencils and enough dice for an entire group. Even though GURPS is my primary system I also keep my D&D 5e books in there because I can whip up a game and my party can whip up characters in minutes. I bring the bag with me almost everywhere I go.

I feel like I have a constant war with the fact that electronics are super great for doing stuff but books, props, and low tech gaming keeps the party in the game so much better.
>>
>>44426123
2 and 3 sound like prime cheatsheet material. Type the specific rules up (or just the pages themselves if they're all bundled together already) and print them out for fast and easy access with no book-flipping, digital or physical. I'm curious about 1, though, since the way Wildcard! skills work means you can basically go by name alone. It's like Risus; your Detective! skill should let you do nearly anything a detective needs to do for his job. You don't really need the huge list of skills they replace, maybe read them over once to get an idea then you're done.
>>
>>44427276
Yeah, the wildcard skills aren't causing too much trouble. I was just enumerating all the rules we were experimenting with. They seem a teeny bit too expensive in my opinion, but pretty straight forward. I like the idea of side benefits that powerups: wildcard talks about too; makes the seemingly high cost seem more fair.
>>
>>44421547
thanks. I'll take a look.
>>
I statted up Power Within, a spell from Dark Souls as a GURPS sorcery spell. It slowly kills the user in exchange for high stamina regeneration and attack power.

Can I put an enhancement on a limitation?
I think Costs 2HP, which is worth -20%, with 10 cycles ten seconds apart being a +500% enhancement, that would make 20 hp of damage over 100 seconds a -120% limitation. Does that sound right?
>>
>>44430732

>Can I put an enhancement on a limitation?
Sometimes.
It makes sense with for example Sorcery. (For example an Affliction (magic spell) granting an advantage (Flight) with a limitation (Winged)

In your case though, definitely not.

A power like yours would be activated for a duration and cost X HP to activate, then X/2 HP per minute to sustain. So 2 HP to activate, then 1 HP/minute after that.
If you'd like it to drain HP faster, it's double the limitation to make it per second instead of per minute.
So a 2 HP initial cost and 1 HP per second after that, or 101 hp of damage over 100 seconds, is a -40% modifier.
>>
>>44431373
But does that lock a player down? To me, that sounds like someone can break out whenever they feel like. Part of the limitation I'm trying to capture is that no matter what, once you start it, you will lose 20 HP, and it will happen in 100 seconds.

You should not be able to end it early if you wipe the opponent out in three seconds. You committed to 20 hp of damage, and there are no breaks on this train.
>>
>>44431582

Yeah, a player would be able to cancel that whenever they wanted

To get rid of that, add Minimum Duration (from Powers), the HP cost does 'seriously inconvenience you'. It's a -0% for abilities with a minimum duration less than an hour.
>>
>>44431582
>>44431756

Oh, and 20HP over 100 seconds is somewhere between the two extremes of 3 HP and 101 HP, so a -30% maybe?

Or you could do something definitely broken:Costs 13 HP, -130%. This lets you pay an initial cost of 13 HP to get 60 seconds of power, then pay half of that rounded up, or 7 more FP to get 120 seconds.
Add:
Maximum duration: 100 seconds, -50%
Minimum duration: 100 seconds, -0%
Now we have: 20 HP for 100 seconds, paid in two increments.
I'd argue spreading out the damage over the entire duration is a -0% feature, or possibly a -5% nuisance effect.
Being able to still function fine for a while until you reach low HP, or activate the power when you're on low HP and still successfully "suicide run" is a definite advantage, but the Shock penalty you take every 5 or 10 seconds compensates for that.
>>
Costs three hp by itself is worth -30% Is 20 hp over 100 seconds only as bad as 3 hp all at once?
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.