[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A romance in your campaign that isn't cringy or cliché
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 21
File: lg.jpg (150 KB, 550x799) Image search: [Google]
lg.jpg
150 KB, 550x799
>A romance in your campaign that isn't cringy or cliché
Can it be done, /tg/?
>>
>>44406782
>players raid dungeon
>hack through first wave of pathetic minions
>as they slit the last throat of the last lizardman, you hear a wailing hiss from the depths
>lizardwoman rushes out and kneels to stop the bleeding
>lizardman looks at her in his last moment
>"Forever and ever?"
>She weeps profusely and nods as she holds his rapidly cooling body to her.
>she carries his body away for a proper burial, and then to return home to warm her eggs, alone.
>Roll against paralysis, if you fail, spend d20 years seeing their faces 1d6 times a day.
>>
>>44406782
Yes, when it happens between player characters without the GM's involvement.
>>
If you don't have cringy or unoriginal players, yes.

So no, it won't ever happen because players are horrible people.
>>
>>44406871
Lamentations of the Flame Princess?
>>
>>44406874
Yeah, the two PCs in my last game ended up getting into a romance, but it happened very naturally and cutely. It probably also helped that we're all very good friends, and they were the only two players, so when the fire monk started awkwardly realizing she had a crush on the sheepgirl druid she was protecting, everything was pretty subtle until the end of the game. Nothing explicit happened until the moment they were basically trespassing in the realms of the gods and the fire monk failed her will save against fear. Which the sheepgirl took as the perfect moment to use the "I believe in you" kiss, giving fire monk a reroll and letting the game go on. They ended up fading to black at the very end of the game, but the whole thing was a pretty natural progression, and a very slow one.
>>
I want this to happen in my campaign very badly because the setup of the knight and druid is perfect for a tragic romance. They're a couple in real life though so theyre afraid it would seem like they're rubbing it in everyone's face, but it would make a great character arc damnit.
>>
>>44406907
He said NOT cringy, anon.
>>
What's wrong with cliche?

What's wrong with a princess falling in love with a knight, or the slutty sorceress villain striving to become a better person after being spared by the barbarian hunk?
>>
>>44407039

I'm guessing it's a matter of making other players uncomfortable. When it's new and interesting, I think people are more willing to go along with it.
>>
Does anyone have stories of successful or interesting romances? I want to hear more like >>44406948
>>
>>44407107

What's new or interesting about the alternatives? Female knight falling in love with female princess is about as overdone as female player-character taming the bestial werewolf to discover the man within.

It's all about the DM's ability to tell a compelling story, and you can absolutely do that with a "cliche" love plot.
>>
>want to romance an NPC
>too nervous to ask the GM to throw a girl at me
>don't want to make the romance too big a deal
>>
>>44406782

Probably not. If steering clear of clichés and cringeworthy shit is that important to you, chances are you aren't the sort to get into roleplaying your character's emotions since they can often be both of those things.
>>
>>44407147
>Female knight falling in love with female princess
This trope literally doesn't exist outside of /tg/ yet everyone here bitches about it as if the media is cramming it into everything.
>>
>>44407147

I'm just offering a possible explanation, bruh. I never said I agreed with that line of thought.
>>
>>44406782

The Critical Success podcast discussed this.

http://peachesandhotsauce.com/podcasts/critical-success/sex-and-romance

And related is Blue Rose, an actual romantic fantasy RPG:

http://peachesandhotsauce.com/podcasts/blue-rose-with-jack-norris
>>
I'm afraid to give the players love plots after what happened last time. The little sperg basically asked me for a waifu. I decided that he wouldn't shut up until I made a female npc, but I made it clear that even if he retconned his character to be a 10/10 hunk, she wouldn't want to fuck you soon as look at you. I told him he'd actually have to be a charming and dateable person.

Within two sessions he got her killed, and sold both their souls to a demon so they'd be together. Yeah. He didn't even try to ask her out like a normal person.
>>
File: 1441682221533.png (137 KB, 500x6055) Image search: [Google]
1441682221533.png
137 KB, 500x6055
>>44407270

Some people are destined to be wizards
>>
>>44407309
The weirdest thing is, I'm pretty sure the guy has an IRL girlfriend. Emphasis on pretty sure, since I've never met her, but unless he's better at lying then I give him credit for, everything checks out.

But it wouldn't be the first time he's done stupid shit like this.
>>
Best example I've seen was an IRL couple playing a couple in-game.

I've definitely seen non-cringe and even beneficial to the game relationships before though, even for solo players. Probably the most common example, we've played a few basic settler games, so getting a spouse is kind of expected and usually harmless, sometimes even helpful if the spouse is capable.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (250 KB, 977x904) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
250 KB, 977x904
>>44406782
>Paladin Knight
>Wife dies
>Begs god to resurrect his wife for his years of service.
>His god refuses.
>The lawful evil god of death comes to the knight in a dream, informing him that he can bring back his wife if he renounces his paladin career.
>The knight swears fealty to the undertaker, and the god gives him six great lawful evil labors in exchange for his wife's resurrection.
>The knight debases himself in the six acts, and upon the wife being resurrected, she doesn't even recognize her husband anymore.
>He wants to fuck her after years of losing her, distraught, she throws herself upon his other, metal sword.
>The chaotic good paladin god takes her soul into its afterlife.
>The knight will only ever be able to see her again if he manages to find any redemption and is liberated from the trickery of the lawful evil god of death.
>>
File: 1434040061272.jpg (14 KB, 148x149) Image search: [Google]
1434040061272.jpg
14 KB, 148x149
>>44407571
>>
>>44407571
Not bad, but
>chaotic good paladin god
Can paladins even be chaotic?
>>
>>44407657
>Paladin of Freedom in 3.5
>Paladins in 5e can be any alignment so long as it matches their deity's exactly
>>
>>44407107
And we wouldn't want anyone to be uncomfortable. This is a safe space after all
>>
>>44407571
>>He wants to fuck her after years of losing her, distraught, she throws herself upon his other, metal sword.

To be honest, the fact that she just killed herself because the guy who brought her back to life wanted to bang, regardless of whether she recognized or knew him, is a pretty good reason to just forget about her and not lament it.
>>
File: Awkward.gif (463 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Awkward.gif
463 KB, 600x450
>>44406871
What would actually happen

>players raid dungeon
>hack through first wave of pathetic minions
>as they slit the last throat of the last lizardman, you hear a wailing hiss from the depths
>lizardwoman rushes out and kneels to stop the bleeding
>Gets a mace applied directly to the back of her skull
>Party moves on unaware of eggs because who cares about minions who just tried to kill you
>>
>>44407728
Yeah, just the "you've become a monster" aspect should be enough.
>>
File: 1450507370693.jpg (411 KB, 1576x1817) Image search: [Google]
1450507370693.jpg
411 KB, 1576x1817
>>44407728
Anon, I mean debased. Corrupt. Fallen.

The idea being that she in no way recognized her husband at all, and only saw a horrifying twisted parody that was trying to rape her.
>>
>>44407728
What? She killed herself because her husband is now a horrid monster. More than that, he became a monster for her and she probably blames herself.

That being said, I don't know why anon included that bit about wanting to fuck her. Story works just as well without LE waifu boners.
>>
>>44407772
Again, it could be a complete stranger, but if they bring you back from the fucking dead, and not even undead, then letting them rape you is a pretty easy means of repayment.

>"Rape is worse than death!"

>>44407796
>What? She killed herself because her husband is now a horrid monster.

That's even worse, if she does realize it's him but just doesn't like how he turned out.
>>
>>44407772
It's probably better if she recognizes him, but commits suicide out of shame for the man he became for her.
>>
>>44407818
0/8 b8
>>
>>44407818
See, this is why you don't do romance in games. Players like this that have no idea how people work.
>>
>>44407855
>I don't agree, and I understand how people work.
>>
>>44406907
>>44407007
YFW actually running LotFP game this week

Honestly though, this isn't LotFP at all. Your average DM sees "weird" on the cover, skips all but the stat tables, and starts having wacky Lewis Carroll adventures. It's actually supposed to be more Lovecraftian than anything but, whatever. We'll see how my players like it
>>
>>44407723

See >>44407201

Sorry I triggered you
>>
>>44407818
Considering that an afterlife exists in most fantasy settings, death really isn't that bad in something like D&D, homebrew GURPS, Pathfinder, etc.

It's also a hell of a lot better than living with the shame and horror of what used to be your lover completely debasing themselves to "save" you.
>>
>>44407818
>"Rape is worse than death."
You underestimate the value people place on their dignity, anon... Someone killing themselves rather than be violated by a terrifying monster and facing the prospect of baring its child (which in ye olde tymes was a coin toss of death) is entirely plausible. Just as plausible as a samurai committing harakiri rather than surrender to a seige or a visionary seeing their life's work and their reputation ruined.
>>
>>44407902
>It's also a hell of a lot better than living with the shame and horror of what used to be your lover completely debasing themselves to "save" you.

Sounds like the perfect cue to just become evil yourself and be an evil couple.
>>
File: 1441143495701.png (224 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
1441143495701.png
224 KB, 600x471
Thread needs more stories, good and bad
>>
>>44407902

Yeah especially when you just arrived in your wonderful afterlife, in the warm embrace of your husband's god, feeling warm and fuzzy knowing he'll arrive soon and you'll be together for all eternity in bliss, and then you get violently ripped away from it only to find your husband's gone and screwed everything up and become a monster, and now you won't be together after death anymore unless you join him in evil.
This paladingus needs to get his head together.
>>
>>44407934
>The only romance that is going on in my campaign is unironically princess/ladyknight
Sorry, can't say anything without triggering /tg/.
>>
>>44407945
When you put it like that the selfish shit really should have just gone and martyred himself. That should not have even been a issue.
>>
>>44407972

LOVE IS BLIND ETC ETC

Any cute exchanges anyway?
>>
>>44407976
Anakin should have one that, yes.
>>
>>44407745
Accurate, except for the eggs. I give them a 60/40 between theft and destruction if noticed, 30% to be left alone if someone points out they probably won't hatch anyway.
>>
>>44408000
Their relationship has evolved over several campaigns.
>campaign 1- flirting and fluster, eventual implied consummation
>campaign 2- serious companionship, but still on the down low
>campaign 3- being increasingly conflicted over if the princess (now empress)'s society is worth fighting for, ladyknight may turn coat for a cult faction led by a messiah she already knows is a lich, because of the near utopian society his cult has created which does away with the conventions of feudalism and intolerance.
>>
>>44407934

>tfw the DM cucked my character with a female knight

My Guy's beloved wasn't even a princess, she was a priestess.
>>
>>44408155
Same, my character got NTR'd.
>>
>>44408155
>>44408178

Story time?
>>
>>44408142

I really like that. Romances that have ambiguity and conflict are the best.
>>
>>44408254
The best bit is the bad guys faction is arguably better than the good guys. The bad guy just found that it's easier to rule the world if everyone is happy. The more content they are, the more willing they'll be to do or comply with morally questionable things in order to preserve that happiness and contentment.
>>
>>44408301

So... Just like the Western world?
>>
>>44408380
More or less.
>>
>characters background is that she has a husband and a little boy living back on a small farm
>think literally nothing of it
>actually almost forget about it
>near the end of the campaign he mentions we're going to have to travel near my characters homestead
>"Hey we might as well stop there for the night!"
>ride over the hill
>homestead is burned down
>cattle are dead, crops are burned
>husband is hanging from a tree shot full of arrows
>son is nowhere to be found
>there are tracks leading out into the wilds

>killed my characters family and burnt down her home as a plot hook
>>
>>44408546

What level were you? Because it's totally possible to just resurrect the husband and rebuild after rescuing your boy.
>>
>>44408572

And, of course, shit all over the DM's plot hook in the process, really try and twist that dagger in his gut while dismantling what he hoped would be a "super emotional" quest.
>>
>>44408572
Permadeath.
No resurrections.
>>
>>44408572
>level
>just resurrect the husband
There are other systems besides D&D, kiddo.
>>
>>44408572
They shouldn't bother. The type of DM who pulls this will just bullshit a reason for it not to work.

I wouldn't expect to get that kid either.
>>
>>44408192

Story, it was basically the betrayal and deconstruction of my character by another player.

I played a human soldier with a childhood friend and sweetheart, she started adventuring because his sister got kidnapped and she went to get her back. After that they promised to get married one day, but because of the war my character hid her identity and enlisted as a soldier, and kept in written correspondence with the guy and because she was given standard equipment sent her earnings back to him and the town in general to support them. During this time she met the party, and most importantly the elf bard. After a few campaigns and saving the world and the like, the game went into slowdown mode and characters began to settle down or pursue personal interests. Another important note that during time adventuring and as a soldier, my character got maimed and scarred pretty bad because of being a front line fighter. Anyway my character went back to her town and reunited with her to-be, and despite her second thoughts about her past and current physical status, he said he didn't care about how she looked or what she did and they got married. The got a farm together and lived happily enough, though eventually the elf bard came calling, friendly at first but revealing that she was down on her luck and would like a chance to stay and find her feet, and that she wouldn't be a burden and would earn her keep.

cont.
>>
>>44408653

So what's the proper way to react to this development in a way that hurts the DM while feeling realistic to the character?
>>
>>44406782
Maybe this counts.
>A young man is a master swordsman in training, rises from a group of assassins and then through the ranks of a mercenary group until he can lead missions
>Outnumbered horribly, his group splits like the cowards they are and leaves him and five guys who stood their ground in the clutch of the enemy
>Tortured horribly by some Half-orc female who practices special pain-inducing martial arts involving qi corruption and pressure points
>She's impressed he survives, they end up discussing why they fight
>Turns out the half-orc has no loyalty to her clan, merely acts out of routine and duty.
>The swordsman tells her how his grandfather was betrayed by a brother, how the claim for head of the mercs is legitimately his as a result
>After the swordsman is released, they meet secretly to trade techniques.
>Over time, they develop a plan to unite their clans, quietly have two children
>Eventually, a plan goes south, man is required to kill his wife to keep up the plan, she dies accepting this
>Man turns bitter, old, raises his children harshly in a desperate attempt to complete the plan
>One of his sons refuses to follow his orders, old man goes through the plan anyways, defeated and killed.
>Clans united after his son accepts a sue for peace
Parents of a character.
>>
>>44408705

What followed was a pretty disgusting deconstruction of my character's marriage, as the elf bard eventually just supplanted my character as her husband's woman. The relationship basically consisted of my character toiling in the fields all day and working to the keep the farm running on her own, while her husband and the elf spent time together in the house or going into town together to spend money, all the while living off the work of my character and openly ridiculing her. Some of the worst details were that my husband's character felt attracted to the elf because she was unscarred and beautiful while mine was a battleworn mess who the elf kept making up stories that my character was a slut while soldiering and had been taken prisoner before and ravaged, and furthermore my character only had what money she could make off the farm while the elf kept all her loot from adventuring and got a pretty decent income from some investments she made after moving in but she never actually spent it unless my own funds were exhausted. This persisted even when my character was heavily pregnant, still out plowing the field a few days before her delivery, and having to sleep on the floor because the elf and her husband had the master bed. It all culminated with the worst transgression when they were supposed to at least mind the baby, but went into town and the baby was killed by goblins who broke in to loot the house. While my character was grieving, the elf bard went and got pregnant by the husband pretty much right after. In the end things didn't really change much, and my character ended up having to take care of their baby while they continued living it up. There were other bad transgressions, but these were probably the worst.

It was all kind of tragically comedic, and in part I guess punishment by the DM because I'd continued to remain lawful good.
>>
>>44408572
This is why high magic systems are, and will always be, shit. "Did you hear the king was assassinated this morning?" "How dreadful!" "I know, he got blood all over his kingly robe! When he was resurrected moments later, he was furious that an assassin would interrupt his breakfast like that!"
Just shit.
>>
>>44408834
Whoever you played with are horrible people.
>>
>>44408834

Was the elf bard a PC or a NPC to get you to "fall" from lawful good? How did the other players react? What happened after? I don't think I could restrain myself from murdering them both for so many grevious insults.
>>
>>44408846
"What became of the assassin?"
"He was executed, promptly resurrected, and sent on his way. All the while, yelling It was just a prank, bro!"
>>
>>44406948
Two players in my last game got into an increasing serious game of gay chicken that lasted all the way through the honeymoon.

They weren't exactly in a "relationship" until they wound up betrothed and neither blinked.
Then they just kinda shrugged and rolled with it after that.
In character it was better done, but that's the gist of it.
>>
>>44408834
Fucking magical realm material right there.
>>
>>44408846

It's funny, but in my group nobody is interested in resurrecting anyone but the ranger's dog animal companion (the dog is critical to the ranger backstory). That's the current side goal for half the party now.
>>
>>44408846
>>44408932
>setting with common true rez
>all prisoners are executed and resurrected after their sentence is up
>no need to feed them or worry about their escape
>>
>>44408732
Follow up the plot hook, of course, and when the kid is inevitable sacrificed on a demon alter or whatever they have planned just have the character go, "no, I'm done." Just have them stop. Obviously this in anecdotal but you would be amazed at how many DMs, expecting this to motivate your character to righteous teeth gnashing fury, are dumbfounded and incredibly resistant to a character just deciding to quit.
>>
>>44408846
Resurrection is Necromancy in 5e. Necromancy is illegal, and artificially extending a monarch's life is ESPECIALLY illegal, ever since the deposition of the Eternal King, and the signing of the Charter of Wraithwood.
>>
>>44408910
You'll laugh but normally they're alright. In this specific case I guess they just wanted to play a prank. Also I think the DM was doing some sort of podcast challenge to see how much they could put a player through and see if they got fed up with it.

>>44408922
The elf bard was a fellow PC, the husband was an NPC. They weren't trying to get my character to change alignment, it was more that the elf at least figured she could get away with anything she did because of the past friendship with my character and because of her being lawful good. The DM though I think did want my alignment to change. The other players were busy having their own happy downtime, though the ranger and the wizard did say if my character had written to them and asked for help they would have given it.

In the end my character did sort of just say enough was enough, and while they were in town she burned the farm down. Unfortunately they turned it against my character and sold the town on the idea that she was an arsonist and tried to kill them and their baby in the fire (not true since I kept the baby safe), so my character got run out of her hometown by people she had known her whole life. I might add, the town which she had sent her wages and adventuring loot to, to help out.

>>44408958
I'm pretty sure though I wouldn't know specifically where from, that the DM at least took inspiration from hentai where this sort of thing happens. Where like, the husband NPC openly said it would be better if my character just died so he wouldn't be tied to such an ugly woman, and also when the in-laws got involved and sided with the elf because she suited the role of "proper woman and partner" to the husband NPC better than my character did.
>>
The Assassin and Psyker in our Dark Heresy party are married. I think they pull it off well. It can be perhaps a tad cliche at times but it's kept to a tasteful level and has added an interesting dynamic to the party.
>>
>>44409002

Please tell us your experience with doing this, because blue-balling an asshole DM is one of those rare treats you never hear about on /tg/.

I've experience with it too, but mostly in the form of my character wondering aloud why we're going through such effort to save a shitty backwater kingdom when we can take our level 12 asses to the affluent south and live in silk, rather than rule in furs.

DM got spooked by that, and then suddenly importance started cropping up in our mission.
>>
>>44408142
>character betrays lover to fight for the BBEG, whose evil endgame is objectively better for both of them, and possibly the whole world
Nice.
>>
>>44407199
To be honest I've been bombarded with enough forced /u/ to want to have nothing to do with it. Oh look the girlies kissed! It's lost all its novelty. I like fem Knight with a fuckboi prince anyway.
>>
>>44407188
Find a pre-existing NPC
>>
>>44406782
when we accept that romance is filled with cliche and cringe
>>
File: 1434217094240.gif (3 MB, 283x204) Image search: [Google]
1434217094240.gif
3 MB, 283x204
>>44409123
>fem Knight with a fuckboi prince
>>
File: Sup.jpg (5 MB, 2904x4000) Image search: [Google]
Sup.jpg
5 MB, 2904x4000
Courtly love, motherfucker

>Writing poems to your bitch, bitches love poems
>Serenading that ho under the pale moonlight
>Defending her honor 24/7
>Kissing or inappropriate touching? What are you, a deviant?
>>
>>44409123
Yeah it's saturated on /tg/, but in actual fiction media, it's not as common as everyone makes it out to be.
>>
>>44407902
>what used to be your lover completely debasing themselves to "save" you.
It pretty clearly had nothing to do with saving her and everything to do with him wanting to have her again. If he was a proper paladin he'd have spent the rest of his life doing good deeds and then be reunited with his wife when he died, who'd have been all the more proud of him for it.

She's literally in heaven, she can wait a few more decades to see her husband again.
>>
>>44409155

>her even aware of your love for her

For shame.
>>
>>44407717
Same in 4e
>>
>>44406782

The husband and wife in our group have characters that are intimate sometimes.

Pretty funny sometimes since she tends to make older fighter type women and he tends to make younger magic and sneaky/charisma guys most of the time.
>>
>>44408638
This.
>>
>>44407924
b-but muh tumblr, but muh SJWs
>>
>Half giant barbarian and gnome sorcerer fall in love
>Nothing too sappy, they just look after eachother and spend a lot of time together, the gnome riding on the half giant's shoulders
>They get eachother a gift, the half giant gives the gnome an amulet and the gnome gives the half giant a ring
>In one session, the half giant dies in combat
>The gnome takes his ring and becomes almost completely unresponsive after that session, only talking every so often when she absolutely needs to say something and spends a lot of time alone, separated from the group
>A few sessions of this later, the party gets tired of this and decide to confront the gnome about it
>They walk in on her talking with a specter of the half giant
>Turns out that she had been working on a way to bind his soul into the ring all that time
>However, despite her best efforts he has been constantly slipping away, little more than a projection, incapable of speech, at that point
>She still wears the ring like a bracelet and the party can sometimes hear her talking to someone when she is alone, but no one has seen the ghost of the half giant since that first time

Cliche as fuck, but it played out pretty nicely.
>>
File: donotwant.jpg (22 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
donotwant.jpg
22 KB, 432x288
>>44407818
I want to believe this is a troll, but I know it my heart of hearts, it probably isn't...
>>
>>44409155

>"Sir Franklin- I must be truthful. You must stop eating twix under your mask. Its all over your face. Its why I gave you this napkin on your arm."
>>
>>44407924
ye olde tymes might not have coat hangers as we know today but I'm pretty sure some functional equivalent existed
>>
>>44409517
I don't mean the story, I mean the edgelord reply to it.
>>
>>44409551
Coat hangers can't abort crushing shame and trauma.
>>
>>44409517
>>44409555
Whoops wrong reply.
>>
>>44409568
For that, there's heavy drinking.
>>
>>44409492
>"But Lady Florence, the truth be that I am simply not myself whilst famished!"
>>
>>44408639
and plenty of those have levels and means to raise the dead
>>
So... Is My group the only one where we have normal, sane romances happening by chance, and then developing naturally?

I don't know if it is just us playing world of darkness so much, but since interparty relationships rarely work out, the ones that do last, are because someone met a random Npc, chatted up the person, and then spent a lot of down time with said person.

Sure, we've had some odd ones too, but those are rare and generally because of future plothooks planned by the Gm and the player, like that one time we had a wolfkin set up like a year prior to bring used, because a former character got knocked up by a very smitten werewolf who had no intentions of taking no for an answer.
>>
>>44409004
even in 3.x you need a fuckhuge diamond to do it, or wait, did they change it to being powdered diamond in 3.5? I could of sworn in at least one version it had to be a single huge diamond worth the 500,000G which could be hard to find depending on the setting
>>
>>44409057
A little light-hearted for 40k, but it sounds cute.
>>
>>44409604
Isn't that snickers?

Should have made a joke about the whole left twix vs right twix thing. Actually I want to see a campaign now of two warring nations but the warring nations are literally fighting over which twix bar is better to eat first.

Then the players in the end either fight the BBG whose at the twix factory to show the world they are made the same exact way in the same factory or help win a war on either side to prove once and for all which side is better to eat first.
>>
>>44406782
In MY campaign? Not a chance. I have essentially zero interaction with the opposite sex, and it's been so long since I had romantic feelings for anyone that I literally don't even remember what it feels like. Any romance subplots I tried to run would be nothing more than me awkwardly aping romances from other media.
>>
>>44410091
I thought that was what everyone did.
>>
File: princessescortcampaign.png (1 MB, 2046x393) Image search: [Google]
princessescortcampaign.png
1 MB, 2046x393
I'm posting this and there's nothing you can do to stop me!
>>
>>44410223

That's so cute I'm dying help
>>
>>44407934
The only romance a character of mine ever had was when we got a new male party member who was introduced as the arranged marriage partner of a female party member. My character defended her not wanting to marry him because the guy was a creep, and ended up declaring his own love for her (not planned ahead of time but I thought of it and it seemed like a good idea), then the two eventually married. It was probably both cringey and cliché but it was my first game so it could've been worse.
>>
>>44409016
Okay, even if they're alright most of the time, that's a whole load of bullshit and you shouldn't have put up with it.
>>
>>44409004
>illegality
>stopping someone powerful from saving his ass
>the king who is literally the law

ok
>>
>>44408834

>Being Lawful Good means I have to be a bitch

lmao nah nig the only reason you act like a bitch is if you are a bitch
>>
>>44406948
>>44410223

I don't know why I love cute, sugary stories so much. But I do. God help me, I do.
>>
File: feelsbar.jpg (44 KB, 960x631) Image search: [Google]
feelsbar.jpg
44 KB, 960x631
>>44410776
It's obvious, anon. Reading about cute girls doing cute romantic things fill the romantic void in our neckbeardy lives. As neckbeards, we lean towards lesbianism, because our self-esteem is too low for us to desire a male love interest in which to insert ourselves, so we're better off multiplying the waifu element by 2. After all, what qt waifu would love us?
>>
File: 1448751539894.jpg (871 KB, 1200x864) Image search: [Google]
1448751539894.jpg
871 KB, 1200x864
>>44407188
>>too nervous to ask the GM to throw a girl at me

Just... hmmm...you...
Dude, you want a tailor made npc as a "love interest".
She'll have the personality of a braindead damsel in distress.
Just play untill you find an NPC with some personality you like.

When I DMed I made an NPC that was literally made to die within 5 minutes of their encounter.
I knew they were just gonna slay her outright.
What happend?
The cleric took the ranger and married him to the girl.

So during the first session one player retired his character to married life and rerolled.
>>
>knight for a king who wanted to exterminate druids who thinks they're responsible for some plague that is tearing apart the kingdom
>he grows tired of fighting hordes of bears
>eventually abandons his mission when his company is scattered
>joins the adventuring party in another kingdom away from the pagan crusades
>druid girl is in the party, no clue about knight's past
>knight heavily distrusts and dislikes her, but polite enough to not put it on full display
>druid girl smitten with his shiny armor and Noble bearing
>begin to work together, druid develops feelings for knight
>wants to get closer and gain his trust
>helps him train a hippogryph for a mount
>tends to his wounds, supports him in group conflicts
>they get into a situation where people are trying to kidnap druid
>she evades impressively but is eventually tackled by 3 people
>godly rolls allow her to evade being grappled but she's knocked on her ass
>knight sees her fall
>mounts his hippogryph and charges in
>she reaches up to him as he approaches
>he high fives her
>flies away

The two players lost their shit laughing even though IC druid's heart was broken.
>>
>>44411085

Did the ranger and girl have a choice in the matter? Because if I were a cleric, I'd totally just marry people off to each other whenever I felt like annoying them.

"Look, we can't help defend the church from gnolls. We need to deal with the swamp pirates."

"You know what? Fine. In the eyes of Pelor and these fine witnesses, I declare you wed to the barbarian."

"What?"

Also, that Sona and Gentleman Cho'Gath? Nice.
>>
>>44409928
Female Assassin was a little over zealous with protecting the Male Psyker so the other character started making jokes until it turned out that she did actually have a crush on him and was just being Tsun. They got married over a time skip in-between the last two arcs/campaigns in a quiet ceremony on board the Inquisitor's ship.
>>
>>44411259
He did have a choice, it was his idea as gratitude for her help.

They got to know her over, about 1h session time I think.
2 weeks in game.
This makes little sense without the senario I guess.
They could have just married them and left her.

Point was that I thought they'd just kill her, by accident or by choice.
For all intents and purposes she was already dead in my notes
Sure I had a story for her, but it was just meant as a short event to spice up the world.

If you care for the story just say so. It's nothing fancy, I can just aswell paint the core concept I was toying with.

The image felt like it fit in with how odd PCs look compared to their tailor made waifus.
>>
>>44407188

Look, man. As a GM, I don't 'give' people love interests. Love interests are something that require a certain mindset to work, and it takes a lot of feeling out to see if the player is interested. If you have a girl whose main personality trait is that she's here to love one of the PCs, it's not going to be a convincing romance.

There's a particular campaign I've run quite a few times, where the players are modern-day knights serving a religious order. The opening scenario (and combat tutorial) are the players moving in to support a group of holy songstresses known as the Quintet as they battle a werewolf.

This is usually when I can tell if a romantic subplot is going to 'work', and it can be milked for all the drama possible. The climax of one campaign had a villain abduct the tomboyish leader of the group with the intention of making her his bride, so that the marriage could be used to metaphysically summon up his demonic aspect from Hell.

The players had to fight their way to the top of a skyscraper to disrupt the wedding. Fortunately, they got there early. After a savage duel to the death, the PC kicked open to door to find that his love interest - in her bridal gown - had managed to prise open the window, and was working up the courage to jump.

When she saw him, she broke down into tears and sobbed that she'd been utterly terrified that it would be the villain instead. He promptly hugged her as hard as he could and asked her to marry him, which I thought was a stroke of genius. She was already all dolled up for the wedding, no less!
>>
File: 1405413594244.png (150 KB, 414x398) Image search: [Google]
1405413594244.png
150 KB, 414x398
I don't even know how to do romance in my campaigns anymore. It feels like romance is something you do alone and romance is just for people who are really alone and can't have it in real life.

I hate this, because I want to live a fake love life and pretend even if it is for a few hours a week that someone could love me and I could love her and we can adventure though this crazy bullshit we call life and try to make everything a better place. I think I'm lost /tg/ forever damned to just live pretend love lives and just give up getting romance in the 3d realm.
>>
>>44411875

itt a prime example of why GMs don't like doing romance subplots
>>
File: twilight2.png (398 KB, 700x777) Image search: [Google]
twilight2.png
398 KB, 700x777
>>44406782

I've had a really funny one. There was one anime-themed game where the players were agents tasked with keeping the pace in an urban fantasy version of Tokyo (Sort of like Wicked City, Killer is Dead, and a de-pornified version of the Taimanin Asagi games).

At one point, the players rescued an European vampiress (Using your typical anime rules: i.e. They're actually alive, they breed true, they require blood to use their powers, not to sustain a supernatural curse) from would-be assassins. Being the tall, voluptuous white-haired beauty she was, she rewarded the group's most likeable PC with a kiss and appointed the PCs as their organization's liaison.

Now, the really amusing part was that she had a sister, who was based off a Precure villainess. More particularly, she was based off a depiction of her in a pretty amazing doujin. (For those who are curious, it's ICE-PLACE's 'Twilight-sama'.) The interactions were hilarious, because the girl's sister was basically doing her best to push his buttons for her own amusement while he was valiantly trying to keep a straight face.

When they were travelling by armored limousine, the vampiress's sister asked him to sit him with, and they passed long moments in awkward silence with the girl not-so-subtly sizing him up, then she promptly opened up the conversation with:

> "...So, you're the one who kissed my sister."
> "Mmmm...I'm curious. I wonder what she sees in you?"

She actually put her hand on his knee at one point, and was basically flirting with him. The PC later told me it was the hottest scene he'd ever RP'ed.
>>
>>44411982

What did the other girl look like?
>>
File: vampiresilver.jpg (165 KB, 850x1202) Image search: [Google]
vampiresilver.jpg
165 KB, 850x1202
>>44412020

I used this image.
>>
>>44411913
I don't blame them anon, this is a serious issue and the game shouldn't become a depressing coping mechanism for one of their players who struggle in real life.

This is why I avoid this all together and just tell my players to go do plot shit and I ever put depressing shit in it's always just part of a character.

I had a Christmas off shoot where the players came in contact with a retarded reindeer who could speak. He couldn't do much but he had a lot of spirit and the players loved him and wanted to be his friend. The reindeer didn't have many friends due to him being retarded. The other reindeer just kind of hung out with him out of pity and santa didn't have the heart to put him down. So when one of my players died by krampus in a literal one punch man fashion from a crit the reindeer started flipping it's shit and crying over the smoldering remains of the player being carried out of santa's house saying he can't be dead and started crying. Going into denial saying he can't be dead and this was all just a pratical joke like the other reindeer to to him. That was pretty fun to put in there.
>>
>>44411982

What is it with Precure and sexy 'bad girls'? Remember how the Bad End Girls all wore fetish latex?
>>
>>44412272

Fondly.

And fuck, I would live to be that PC.
>>
>>44407571
Maybe the god shouldn't have been such a worthless cunt, then.

Clearly, kill the god.
>>
>>44411982

Thanks for the doujin suggestion. That was a good fap.>>44406782
>>
>>44409591
>also counts as an abortifacient
win-win
>>
File: feelsman.png (346 KB, 439x500) Image search: [Google]
feelsman.png
346 KB, 439x500
>>44411875
When I reach wizardhood, and I know in my heart of hearts will at this rate, the first magic spell I'm going to cast will be Breath of Helium.
>>
Cliche but thought I'd retell my pc's romance situation.

>System is VTM
>PC is a Giovanni who failed as a lawyer and has become the black sheep of the family, who are , of course, connected to the American Mafia.
>Pretty much their errand boy when it comes to camarilla affairs.
>so much of a black sheep that the family never acknowledge his existence to people outside of the family, which has caused him to be nearly killed numerous times when he needed their help on dangerous assignments.
>Pc is a pessimist desperate to fix his failures, but sees almost any mistake as one.
>One night when talking to his sister, she admitted she was in love with him
>she started drinking his blood and got ghouled by him
>to this day he still cannot understand why she loves him because he's a single minded fool who cannot see past his attempts of atonement due to low self esteem.
meanwhile
>Pc's Brother is a fucking moron.
>Such a moron that he fucks a Triad
>That Tried was supposed to get married to a Yakuza
Gang war and curfew ensues.
>A Triad leader gouges her eyes out as revenge, as such PC has been tasked with protecting her otherwise he will die.
>What few trivial moments the incestuous couple have feel the complete opposite to them because she just wants to spend more time with him.
>every time he has to go to a party mission he has been at death's door.
>every time he has been unable to visit her he feels like it was a horrible mistake and whenever he does he's actually happy for once.
>he's finally starting to realize just how impossible his quest for redemption is.
>Pretty much the only thing preventing him from having a deathwish at this rate is her.
>>
>>44407270
>Within two sessions he got her killed, and sold both their souls to a demon so they'd be together. Yeah. He didn't even try to ask her out like a normal person.
That sounds fucking hilarious and I wish all my games had shit like this happen.
>>
>>44406782
It can be done between two players without gm involvement or by npc without player involvement. gm/npc+player is a recipe for bullshit.
>>
File: 1450839693996.jpg (29 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1450839693996.jpg
29 KB, 384x384
>Not wanting to go to cringe city.
>>
>>44413708
Anon, I live in cringe city, I would like to go somewhere else for once.
>>
>>44413446
You'd think so, but how he acted around the NPC was creepy. Like the obsessive boyfriend or maybe more like a stalker.

He was meeting up with an old friend (another PC) now admittedly, this friend did have a bit of a reputation for being a ladykiller. When the two of them met again, and the friend introduced himself to the NPC, our wizard in training said, and I quote "Don't shake his filthy hand" and "Don't talk to her" as if he owned her. (IC he had known her for two weeks.)

Not to mention, he was directly responsible for her demise, as he knew she was walking dead into an ambush, and took no action to keep her from going there.

In hindsight, it's hilarious. When it happened, it was downright scary.
>>
>>44411982

> sweatsprofusely.jpg

Man, that's just mean.
>>
>>44414257

He should have been NTR'd, and hard. I've done that to PCs before.
>>
>>44414411
I thought the other player was gonna cuck him, but as I mentioned earlier, she only lasted two sessions before she got killed by her obsessive admirer.
>>
>>44406782
it has happened vety often in our campaigns.. alway takien seriously... you play grown up characters and such people (Pcs and NPCs) have a full developed sexuality or at least they should. Sex is part of life why shouldnt it be (some) part of the game??
>>
>>44414514
Not saying sex should be totally off limits but for this hobby especially, sex isn't part of a lot of people's lives and this lack thereof can manifest itself in uncomfortable ways.
>>
>>Be me
>>3.5 Human Cleric of Pelor
>>Party consists of Me, Elf Thief, Half Elf Wizard, Elf Druid, Half Orc Fighter, Dwarf Ranger and Human Barbarian
>>We are sent underground to investigate Drow presence
>>Thief+Extended Invisibility=Win
>>Thief sneaks thru the Drow base
>>Proceeds to use a ring of Dimension Door to kidnap daughter of their top general
>>Kicks off a war
>>Oh fuck
1/2
>>
>>44414611
if the are not comfortable with it thats okay, theydont have too. but if someone does itin a decent way and the dm is decent why not?

of course laying the hot elven maid in character doesnt make you less of a virgin in real life bu hey you did roleplay and sometimes its part of it..

campaign focused on this on the other hand is quite boring i assume..
>>
>>44414514
due you know that wandering around worlds and killingtpeople and monsters and such, casting spells etc is not part of my real life so should i stop now playing DnD??
>>
My favourite thing about lesbians in fiction is the heartbreak when their love interest doesn't reciprocate.

I don't dislike lesbians or anything, but really, I just find heartbreak beautiful, but lesbian heartbreaks just tend to be really good.
>>
>>44411982

More of this? Did he fuck the sister too?
>>
Keep on the DL and don't make it a big deal.
>>
>>44414612
Continue please?
>>
>>44411627
Please give us the long version.
>>
>>44406782
I actually kind of have a relevant story about PCs, but not the Players getting romantically involved and ruining a group and a friendship.
>>
>>44417938

So why aren't you posting it you little slutty cocktease
>>
I have a kind of weird romance subplot. You tell me if it's cringy.

>Gnoll Cleric
>his God is basically a God of civilization from the perspective of a savage (the walls are magic and make people come out of them, etc.)
>wants to have a family and be a part of it
>during the game the party deals with Gnolls and some of them end up following the party around as henchmen
>one of them is a drunk off her ass constantly grill who he spends a lot of time with and takes care of
>implied that he's gonna marry her and spawn a couple of gnoll ankle-biters but would probably be open to having 2 or 3 wives, since he's a Gnoll after all.

How cringe?
>>
>>44410530
Eventually I didn't put up with it anymore. I just sat through it at first because I thought they were going somewhere with it or were trying to accomplish something, rather than just tearing down my character without telling me. Also it was all outside of my experience so I was a little shocked/confused and tried to just power through it.

If nothing else it was some strong development for my character, when the game picked up again and adventuring continued.
>>
>>44418513

Wouldn't say cringe, just normal cycle of reproduction for gnolls.

Props for trying to romance with gnoll without it becoming furry fetish though.

There's a Gnoll cleric in my group (inquisitior - mage slayer type) that has a friendly rivalry with romantic undertones with the human crusader who is also huge. Nothing sexual, but the two usually find themselves sitting in companionable silence together. Platonic love is best love.
>>
>>44418513

Not as cringe as you might think. Might be barely any cringe at all, if it's handled appropriately. Getting the first waifu, that should be easy. Sounds like you could easily play it for laughs, if you don't feel like it should be taken super seriously. As for waifus 2 and 3, well, depends on said waifus. Try not to focus on the waifu-having itself too much-I see a lot of characters turn depressingly flat when they get a romance arc.
>>
>>44418269
Because like all slutty little cockteases i thrive on attention.

>Be me, 2o, starting new job
>Excited because it's a chance to make new friends
>One of my co-workers is a friend from high school, 19 year old qt 8/10 Asian girl, super nerdy but also legit autistic
>Tells me her and her husband runs a pathfinder game for some of the people in the office and that they're about to start a whole new campaign.
>Never played before but the GM helps me set up my character. Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Warpriest
>Was in the acting club in HS and get really in to character
>QT from highschool is playing CE "Sexy" Tengu Hunter
>Because of her autism QT is super in character the entire time.
>Our characters hit it off and we end up being partners in most battles
>Slowly our characters start getting flirty and shit
>I don't think much of it, it's just a role and I stop thinking about it outside of the games
>She doesn't see it quite the same way
>Starts sending me texts as her character to mine.
>Starts drawing art of our characters
>Starts wanting to sleep in my tent in game at when we make camp
>GM/Husband just rolls with it because he knows how she gets but I'm kinda uncomfortable.
>Don't wanna lose m group and new friends so I say fuck it and start playing along and letting her get away with more
>One day I how up for the session a little early and find out it's just me, her and her husband.
>She tells us she told the rest of the grou we were starting late
>Uh wtf
>Both me and her husband confused
>"My character is very nervous but would like to mate with your"
>Nope.jpg
>Her husband looks like he's about to fucking shit himself.
>She pulls out character sheets she made for our characters in the d20 setting
>Then she pulls out an Amazon box and starts taking stuff out of it
>A crow mask
>An orc mask
>Book of Erotic Fantasy
>Her husband sees it and just flips shit and starts yelling
>I leave
>Never come back
>Quit job over the phone
>Fucking psycho bird bitches
>>
>>44419004
Cont.
>Later hear from one of the group I left QT and DM got in to a huge fight
>Cops got called
>She wouldn't break character
>Threatened to shoot him with a crossbow and feed him to her pet fox
>She has no crossbow or pet fox
>Ended up getting taken to a hospital by the police because fucking psycho bird bitch
>They ended up getting a divorce
>>
>>44419004
>>44419076
...I gotta call bullshit on this...
>>
>>44419131

>Crazy
>Woman

I dunno man, it seems to check out.
>>
File: 1439682214399.png (775 KB, 764x1080) Image search: [Google]
1439682214399.png
775 KB, 764x1080
Bump for more stories
>>
>>44406782

I think there's two kinds of romances that work in a game. Fast ones and complicated ones.

>Fast one
Happens off-screen or is narrated, or happened in backstory. The player's significant other is a minor character who mostly exists as fluff. They love each-other. Maybe the party stays at their place when they're in town. No significant amount of time is spent on it, and it doesn't matter to the story of the game in any real way.

>Complicated one
Love interest is part of a rival political group. Or across the sea. Or a spy. Maybe she's a spy but she really does love the PC and now she's trying to get out of whatever she's in. It doesn't matter. The point is that this relationship exists as plot-fuel for shit that the whole party can get involved in. Kidnappings, intrigue, adventures, whatever.

Those are my two archetypes. Here's why:

A romantic relationship only ever matters to two people, and those are the ones involved. If you have a PC in a romantic relationship, that means that whenever you devote time to it, there are several dudes at the table who are--at best--giving their God's-honest best to give a single shit about what's going on, and at worst sitting around on their phones. There's two ways around this, then. Spend a minimal amount of time on the romance, or make it something that everybody gets involved in.
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.