[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is the competitive half of the 40k playerbase?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
Something that's always been super frustrating to me as a 40k player is that I meet more people who are in it for the fluff or for the hobby aspect like painting and detail work etc. That's fine, I don't have a problem with how others enjoy the game. I care more about playing the game for the sake of the game, so naturally when I'm making a list I want it to be powerful and synergistic and don't put much thought into whether it's fluffy or not. Sometimes I play with unpainted models. Shrug.

A lot of people don't take well to that and call me that guy obviously. That's fine, I have friends who like to play at peak performance like I do. Problem is, I haven't played for two years and I find that competitive resources are super scarce, so adjusting to the meta and what's "good" has been bumpier for me than I would like, especially since I'm starting a new army (Necrons.)

I understand if you're disapproving of the way I play, it's whatever, I understand for a lot of people the hobby is more important than the game, but can I please get a heads up from someone like me as to where to look for strategy/tactics, net lists, etc?

Pic related, often inspires the ire of people who hate "tryhards"
>>
File: 1446141388069.jpg (73 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
1446141388069.jpg
73 KB, 950x534
They play warmachine, infinity, or X wing.

Anyway, I'm responding to either b8 or idiot for trying to competitive 40k
>>
>>44382820

Like >>44382858 said, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. But in the off-chance that this is a serious question, the answer is that - frankly - 40k is a shit game. Now don't get me wrong, there are reasons to play it, but most of those reasons are the ones that you specified: the models are among the best, and the fluff is highly-developed and familiar to most of us.

The game itself is a vehicle to sell models at increasingly greater prices. That's it. Compared to most of its competitors, 40k plays like absolute garbage. What's more, GW routinely mauls the game's balance through relentless power creep and new editions. This isn't done to rebalance or reinvigorate the game, but - again - to sell new models. There's really no reward for investing lots of time and thought into upping your game, because the game is a low-stakes ass world. That doesn't mean people don't make attempts to play super competitively, but they come across as idiots because what they're doing is the equivalent of a jack knife into an 18 inch deep kiddie pool.
>>
>>44382820
The kind of people who prioritize gameplay play better games.
>>
File: 1363038260212.png (388 KB, 350x528) Image search: [Google]
1363038260212.png
388 KB, 350x528
>>44382820
Well, GW does actively try to dick over the competitive players, in addition to generally being unhelpful.
>RAW often don't make sense.
>FAQs take forever to come out
>When they do come out they rarely address the questions people have been asking
>Balance is often a distant afterthought
>Little tournament support
>GW developers stating their preference for narrative play over competitive on the record
>GW legal team shitting C&D letters on any site that goes too in-depth in their discussion of lists
>GW reducing their own stores to 1-man-stores with no room for tournaments
>simultaneously squeezing other games stores with limited release and direct-only releases sending them running to other game systems

Perfect balance is never truly achievable but competitive games seem to thrive best when they have a tightly-written rules system, an honest attempt at balancing, timely rules clarifications, frequent support for all available armies, and company support for competitive play. Every one of which 40k lacks.
>>
>>44382820

If you were really as good as you think you are, you'd have found the competitive 40k resources on your own.

Protip: Start at http://www.google.com

Pro-protip: FLG, NOVA, ITC, BAO, LVO, ETC, Adepticon, ToF
>>
>>44382820
Bait?
You're a retard if you play 40k competitively. Some armies/lists/units are flat out superior to others, its not a game designed to be played competitively. Any dipshit can take a Wraith host or WarConvo or Stormsurges and shoot 75% of all other lists off the table. Congratulations on being that guy, at least you realize it.
>>
I tried competitive 40k but the game is just so bloated, unbalanced, and expensive that I gave it up.

For me the whole fun of the game is that you have an army that you're attached to and you spent hours painting yourself and you write up lore for them and everything and getting to play a shitty game with them on the side is just a bonus. The game actually sucks.
>>
>>44382820
You're a literal cancer upon the game. 40K isn't for competetive gaming, it's IMBA as all fuck and there is barely even balance to be spoken of. The only way it can be played is like a BDSM session, with extensive negotiation and safe words.

Players like you need to piss the fuck off. At the very least, refuse any game against you on accounts of you being "that guy". You don't belong in this hobby, GW doesn't even acknowledge your existence as a part of the 40K consumer base. You should prove them right.
>>
>>44384711
your pills, dude
>>
>>44382820

If you aren't playing for fluff, play Warmachine. It's competitive and they make you play canon stuff. 40k's only point is narrative fluff games, not competitive balanced games.
>>
>>44384730
Which ones?
>>
>>44382820
they quit the game at this point
>>
>>44382820
For the most part the only resources available are reading the codexes yourself.
Typically when there is a new release, campaign book, or whatever else people will discuss what the changes mean and what the new cheese is.
The problem for you is no one saves that information (or at least not in a easily navigable way).
You could likely find power rankings, and general list guides that state what things are broken but nothing that in depth.

If you really want to be competitive you need to be prepared to shell out $500+ every new release to keep up with what is currently the best, or to adjust your current list to keep up with the meta.

Oh and the riptide is no where near top cheese anymore.
>>
>>44382820
>netlists

If you need a crutch that big go else where. Bell of lost souls is still a pretty decent resource for competitive discussion.
>>
>>44382820
If you're really competitive (looking for a maximum challenge and satisfaction from being the best) then create optimal strategies yourself. If you let others do the thinking you're just a pussy copycat.

You're like those people on /lolg/ who reply to novel tactic with image macros until a pro uses said tactic and it suddenly becomes 'meta' in their sheepish minds.
>>
My meta has some really good players that do practice games for tournaments fairly often. It's fun watching those kind of games where optimized lists take on one another and both are fielded by good players. Few weekends back I witnessed an epic clash of WS gladius (or battle company or whatever) and Tau. Both players played extremely well and it was a tough game. Ended as slight victory for Tau.

The group rates its lists from 1 to 5 and people agree on what level of lists we play before game day and everyone manages to follow these guidelines so the games are balanced.
>>
>>44382820
"Competitive" 40k players are the majority in my area. I don't know why since, as others pointed out, 40k is horribly balanced, but that's why they dive in to all of the netlists and FotM they can, such as Knights with Tyranid allies.

Narrative players, such as myself and my friends, are in the minority.
>>
>>44382820
Playing 40k competitively is odd because the game is nowhere near balanced. Never was.
There are better games for that. Warmahordes for example or Infinity are much better in terms of balancing. Or rules in general I suppose.
>>
File: 1449369912472.jpg (217 KB, 1063x752) Image search: [Google]
1449369912472.jpg
217 KB, 1063x752
how about this, are there any fan systems that are well balanced?
>>
>>44391550
This. WAAC faggots who don't know a scrap of lore outnumber people who actually care about the setting 3:1 in my local community. OP is a faggot, a liar, and reaaaallly over eager to catch some fish.
>>
>>44392923
Even if there were, nobody would play them, because "it's not 40k". Being unbalanced isn't even the only problem 40k has.
>>
>>44391550
>Knights with Tyranid allies
this is legal? goddamn my narrative is so forged right now
>>
>>44382820
>competitive player
>narrative player
I consider myself more of a fun player. It's the only sane way to play.
>>
>>44394357
Knights are fucking sluts.
>>
File: 1396379565326.jpg (25 KB, 384x314) Image search: [Google]
1396379565326.jpg
25 KB, 384x314
>>44382820
>were are all the competitive players in a game that's fucking garbage balance wise
>>
File: kill everyone.gif (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
kill everyone.gif
3 MB, 500x281
>>44382820
>40k
>competitive
>Shrug.
Why would you do that?
>>
File: worse than hitler.jpg (9 KB, 253x238) Image search: [Google]
worse than hitler.jpg
9 KB, 253x238
>>44391550
>Knights with Tyranid allies
The day of the rope can't come soon enough
>>
>>44382820
Search for WH 40k tournaments, that´s probably where the competetive gamers are hanging out.... As for tactics all you need to know is Decurion is the door to victory and Canoptek Harvests is the key to said door. Look up the 1d4chan tactics page for necrons for a general guide on each unit and how good it is, for lists you should look up http://w11.zetaboards.com/Necrontyr_Online/index/ which is the biggest Necron forum on the interwebs. You can also look up some of the general forums like Dakka Dakka, Warsee and Heresy-Online if you want to take a look at the opposition. If you like to optimize your lists but are playing against people who do not wish to powergame, you can put a points restriction (anywhere from 25-250 pts) on yourself to make the game more interesting for both parties.
>>
>>44392923

I only know of 1page40k but that isn´t a balanced system, it´s just a really simple and fast system.

You can try and look around the web for balanced fandexes, I suppose you could check out some of the ones on 1d4chan.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Codex_-_Angry_Editions

Most of these are unfinished and a bit all over the place, but there is a Necron rework and a Dark Eldar rework both of which are almost finished and if not balanced then at least more fun than their official counterparts.
>>
>>44382820
The fact that there seems to be no reply to anyone in this thread from you (unless I am missing a post) makes this seem like a stealth troll.
>>
>>44382858
This.

Any semblance of competitive potential 40k may have had has disappeared in the last three years.

Warmahordes or Infinity is what you're looking for.
>>
How are imperial guard grenade
Launchers on normal infantry? So far
With my IG kits I've been building the sergeant with 7 las gunners and a flamer and for my fifth kit
I'm wondering if I should go grenade launcher
>>
>>44396935
Fuck wrong thread
>>
There's a very good reason people don't play 40k competitively.

There are lists and entire armies that are just objectively better and will win against pretty much anything.

Want to build a "competitive" army?
Sure go ahead.
If the guy you're playing against doesn't die from lactose intolerance when he sees your list, the game is only going to end a few ways.

Most people will just refuse to play with you.

If they have an army that's not built for comp playing, you will beat him in like 5 minutes and make the whole game pointless.
It'll be boring for your opponent at least, who will in turn never play against your army.

You might match up with another munchkin faggot in which case the game turns into a legal shitfest to see who can pull up the most loopholes and technicalities.
This can arguably be fun, if your idea of fun is being audited.

Now we're talking about 40k, or warhammer at least. Other games have a lot of upkeep and constant tweaking going on so they remain balanced and fair.

Playing competitively in games and winning, especially at a higher level, usually means you're pretty good, and if you win a tournament, it means you beat some of the best players in that game.

Winning at Warhammer just means you looked up whatever unit or combo is broken right now and abuse the shit out of it.
Like in Fantasy, there was a time where you could just auto win by having special and legendary units in your army in low point games. 40k too but that was a long time ago.

Everyone is basically playing against you with a giant handicap.
Winning doesn't mean anything anymore.
You're just being a tryhard.
>>
>>44398838
>most people will refuse to play with you
Depends on your area everywhere I have gone most people play overly competitively.
>>
>>44394357
>>44394984

Yeah, it's legal. Stupid as fuck and makes absolutely no sense, but legal. So long as the Tyranids and Knights stay away from each other, there's next to no drawbacks.

If I were to match Knights with a swarm army, it'd be Guard. But I'm just a crazy lorefag.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.