[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm not entirely sure if I'm going crazy or not,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11
File: shitty arcade.jpg (203 KB, 1050x899) Image search: [Google]
shitty arcade.jpg
203 KB, 1050x899
So I'm not entirely sure if I'm going crazy or not, but this Nightlight shit; wasn't this a /tg/ homebrew? With the exact same fucking name? Why is this shit popping up on bad video game webcomics, and why does 1d4chan say it's a system being made by some dickass called Viral?

Anyone else more clued into this shit than me, or is this some pseudo monetisation of /tg/ ideas?
>>
File: shitty arcade 2.jpg (198 KB, 1050x899) Image search: [Google]
shitty arcade 2.jpg
198 KB, 1050x899
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=grim%20bright

Found the threads, too. Here's the tag that has all of them, and only them.
>>
File: shitty arcade 3.jpg (435 KB, 1050x1694) Image search: [Google]
shitty arcade 3.jpg
435 KB, 1050x1694
Here's the last page of this crap so far, just so you don't have to go to their website.

I don't know about you nerds but I don't want to participate in getting shit done if it's just going to be rehashed and slapped up somewhere else as someone's original the idea donut steel.

Someone tell me I've missed something important so I can stop being morally outraged and start being minorly chagrined.
>>
>>44384199
>>44384259
>>44384340

Not quite. This set of three comics, yeah. However, in the setting presented by Penny Arcade here, the power is on the parents, and they are supposed to protect their children and those who are in some way innocent. They channel the righteous fury of a parent protecting their young through a focus of some sort-in this case, the glowing tattoo-and then beat the crap out of the things that hide in the house to take their child. In this case, the dad seems to not do it directly, having some sort of ability to infuse objects around their child with protective power, but normally the focus and their efforts involve a bat, or a trophy, or something that the child knows means they're going to stop the monster from ever coming back. It is also implied, in their earlier stuff relating to this theme, that these monsters kill the child they get, just as the child fears.

Meanwhile, Nightlight is more that the children are protected by their toys. Either their innocence and the power of belief give them life, or some greater power beyond us does, and each night the toys stand vigil over their child and face the things that bring them fear. Last time I checked, which was admittedly back when they were making it on here, they were less monsters and more a nightmare given shape and form from a child's greatest fears, and if they got the child, it would likely just increase their fear of the world more, I think? Kinda lost track of things for a while. But what I remember was suggesting that Primal Fears had some big names attached. being more consistent with how they manifest, and as such, easier examples for less common fears to be built off of.

Anyway, think of it more as this guy specializes in buffing and enchanting gear while others may go for a more personal approach, making totems and guardians, where as the other has you as a toy that protects without question or pause.
>>
>>44384199
Oh, and to answer your other question, Viral was a big help making it, and the project later migrated off 4chan, with a bunch of the people contributing ideas and formulating it, to get more refined without having to worry about such things as post limits or archiving threads when they hit a number. Think of /tg/ like a birthing ground of ideas-they start here, people come to them, and they grow and develop into a beta. From there, they move off to a different locale where they can be further developed and refined into something really worth playing, and maybe make some money or go to a good cause.

If I remember right, Viral actually tied Nightlight to...I want to say Toys for Tots last year, but I know that it was a charity for sure at least, as an actual product where the proceeds would go to them and to further production. Both worthy causes in my book.
>>
>>44384760
>Viral was a big help making it
I didn't have anything to do with Nightlight other than silently wishing it success.
>>
>>44384810
Ah, my mistake. It was a while ago and shit kept getting in my way whenever I wanted to follow it again, but I was right about the rest of it, right? I could swear I saw something about Nightlight beginning sales and proceeds going to a charity, at least.
>>
>>44384650
>One is toys/items are infused by parents to protect the innocent. Other is toys are infused by innocense to protect the innocent.

That seems close enough to at least be suspicious to me. Especially with the same name on top of same general premise.
>>
>>44384650
I can see where you're coming from, but the idea is practically identical. Just because the protector role has been moved specifically from the toys to the parents and the vague nightmares have been replaced with "monsters" doesn't really convince me that whoever wrote this setting isn't just building straight on top of the homebrew with a couple of minor changes for the purpose of plausible deniability.

This comic series specifically brought back memories of the old homebrew, admittedly because of the imagery of the bear and the OP picture of the original thread.

I don't know. I almost feel like having this story second is a ploy. Like it's a carefully crafted lie manufactured to make this idea seem to be an afterthought or an expansion of previous ideas rather than being the base. That kind of thing.

Maybe I'm just paranoid?

>>44384810
Hey, the dickass himself! Thanks for the clarification. Wonder what that stuff on 1d4chan is about then?
>>
>>44384199
The real answer is a sad one.

/tg/ isn't what it used to be, and now-a-days, if a project is actually going to get completed, that means it has to leave the board and moves to its own private or semi-public community, away from the rapid-fire hellhole that is /quest/.

If you see an idea toss around /tg/ that maybe gets a half-assed homebrew on the board and then a year or two later, you see it actually as a finished product, that isn't someone stealing /tg/ material. That's just the original creator leaving /tg/ to actually get shit done.
>>
File: dee ay eff you queue.jpg (86 KB, 1153x387) Image search: [Google]
dee ay eff you queue.jpg
86 KB, 1153x387
>>44384839
You're not wrong about the charity thing, but I have no idea why the 1d4chan page says I'm planning on publishing it.

>>44384894
According to the page history, whoever made this page wrote that I was going to publish it. I am almost positive I never said that; I checked the five threads on suptg and "Viral" didn't ctrl+f in any of them.
>>
>>44384906
>/tg/ isn't what it used to be, and now-a-days, if a project is actually going to get completed, that means it has to leave the board and moves to its own private or semi-public community, away from the rapid-fire hellhole that is /quest/.

I certainly understand that. I used to be an avid user of /tg/, but ever since quest threads kicked into overdrive I've mainly stuck to old archives and other boards. I can see the effects on this board have been mainly negative as well. In order to actually have conversations here people seem to have retreated almost entirely to generals.

I think we all know what happens to communities that are essentially shut off from the outside world, as well. One look at /vg/ will give you a glimpse into the future of /tg/, if we're not there already.

>If you see an idea toss around /tg/ that maybe gets a half-assed homebrew on the board and then a year or two later, you see it actually as a finished product, that isn't someone stealing /tg/ material. That's just the original creator leaving /tg/ to actually get shit done.

In this case there's absolutely no information about it since it's gone dark on /tg/ years ago, the final threads not even archived. All I can find about it on the internet is either already in this thread, or a kickstarter for a TCG.

And now a webcomic artist is essentially peddling the same setting as his own. It's fishy to me.

>>44384922
>I am almost positive I never said that; I checked the five threads on suptg and "Viral" didn't ctrl+f in any of them.
I checked that as well, which is why I was so confused about it. Of course there are 1 or more threads that weren't archived on suptg according to the last post of thread 5, and unless they're recent enough to have been archived by one of the fuuka sites we're SOL on finding out what went down in them, anyway.
>>
>>44384810
I had been wondering there for a minute. Didn't seem like your work. Too tropy and not focused enough.
>>
File: i-Dq2sJc7-1050x10000.jpg (768 KB, 1050x2864) Image search: [Google]
i-Dq2sJc7-1050x10000.jpg
768 KB, 1050x2864
>>44384883
Here, related comic to this one. I know what you mean, too. I mean, Nightlight is exactly what I thought of when I saw this, however, I'm not entirely sure these guys even know about it. Seeing as it is still an idea in need of growth, I give it decent odds that this is more coincidence than planned subterfuge. Besides which, what do you think of when you think of items made to protect children from what they fear lurks in the dark? I think Nightlight's just a common thought there.

Anyone else really want to see Nightlight in stores one day? Remembering the stuff going on while it was getting made makes me happy, and it was a system I could see being very well received.
>>
>>44385048
I found it's facebook page with updates on being at a few cons, actually. Nightlight RPG seems to get a few answers, though you may want to reach out through that page.
>>
>>44385048
>I checked that as well, which is why I was so confused about it. Of course there are 1 or more threads that weren't archived on suptg according to the last post of thread 5, and unless they're recent enough to have been archived by one of the fuuka sites we're SOL on finding out what went down in them, anyway.

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29234906

Nope. Still pretty sure I didn't have anything to do with this game.
>>
>>44385083
>Anyone else really want to see Nightlight in stores one day?
According to some archived threads it was published. Here's a link for your perusal.

https://warosu.org/tg/?task=search2&search_text=nightlight&search_op=op

According to their facebook page (NightlightRPG) they're working on modules, but that was half a year ago and they've gone maximum radio silence since.
>>
>>44385206
It's a dropped glass of milk, ya retard.
>>
>>44385206
It's a glass of milk, anon.
>>
>>44384906
>/tg/ isn't what it used to be
How do your rose colored glasses stay up when the lenses are about as thick as your entire head?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (76 KB, 393x647) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
76 KB, 393x647
>deleting your shitposts
>>
Giving the email they have on the facebook page a shot. Can't hurt, right?
>>
>>44385223
>muh rose tinted glasses

/tg/ is literally full of redditors now. I believe we can say it's worse than it was.
>>
>>44385262
/tg/ is just as shit as it always was. All it is is shit in a different way now. But because it' s a new variety of shit than the one you're used to eating, you naturally push back against it.
>>
File: anipepe.jpg (70 KB, 1631x1571) Image search: [Google]
anipepe.jpg
70 KB, 1631x1571
>>44385262
>I believe we can say it's worse than it was.
You can, because you live your life based on memes.
>>
>>44385262
>muh reddit bogeyman
You're right, /tg/ HAS gotten worse.
>>
File: Untitled.png (15 KB, 308x311) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15 KB, 308x311
>>44385297
>Bogeyman

This is r/4chan's list of mods. Look at the things next to their names.
>>
>>44385293
>>44385277
>>44385297
>>44385262
>>44385324

Guys, come now, we came here to not talk about the boogeyman of reddit, but rather the boogeyman that well loved toys face each night for their beloved Smalls. Unless you want to make reddit into a phobia a Small has. Then please, keep talking about the reddit boogeyman.
>>
>>44385324
I'm not implying you're a faggot because reddit may or may not post here, I'm implying you're a faggot for giving a shit, you faggot.
>>
File: clues.jpg (135 KB, 892x614) Image search: [Google]
clues.jpg
135 KB, 892x614
Well, that clears that up. Sort of.

>>44385277
>/tg/ is just as shit as it always was. All it is is shit in a different way now. But because it' s a new variety of shit than the one you're used to eating, you naturally push back against it.
This anon gets it. /tg/ isn't shittier than it was eight years ago; you're just eight years older now and remember the eight-year-old shit as "awesome memories of my past".

>>44385324
So you're saying that the mods on Reddit's 4chan page... enjoy 4chan? How shocking.
>>
>>44384199
>>44384259
>>44384340
>>44385083
Is this really Penny Arcade? I haven't really read that stuff in a while but what's with the artstyle? It's so nasty.
>>
>>44385262
Of course /tg/'s going to have redditors here, 4chan's secret club status was blown out of the water years ago and reddit is a big place with millions of fucking people. Having lurked this shithole ever since >>1, I can safely say that /tg/ hasn't really changed and all of your doomsaying should go and fuck off into the Indian ocean.
>>
>>44385377
>Indian ocean.

Why so specific anon? Are you a street shitter?
>>
File: 1426891714325.jpg (94 KB, 438x503) Image search: [Google]
1426891714325.jpg
94 KB, 438x503
>>44385324
So, because a few people from reddit come to 4ch, we're "infested."

We are not tribes, these are websites that you access at your leisure. I say this as someone who hasn't bothered looking at reddit beyond when a google search pings a thread that has something I was looking for. Yet I could scarce give less of a shit than I do about what internet locales a person frequents, and I question why anyone does.
>>
>>44385377
POO IN LOO
>>
>>44384199
>inb4 Penny Arcade makes a Nightlight pnp game and copyright the whole "tabletop about protecting kids from night monsters" thing
>>
>>44385405
That was the first deep thing that came to mind besides Evangelion.
>>
>>44385424
Well, you say that, but thinking about it, wouldn't the crew making Nightlight possibly benefit from a deal if they allied with Penny Arcade? I mean, it'd possibly get them better revenue in, seeing as Penny Arcade has enough draw to get PAX set up. Or get them publicity at the very least. As is, we don't know if the developers have other jobs they do, or this is their main focus.
>>
File: one tumblr man.jpg (52 KB, 563x498) Image search: [Google]
one tumblr man.jpg
52 KB, 563x498
>>44385373
Their artist seems to have been influenced by both the PvP guy and the tumblr artstyle as far as I can tell. All the characters have big honking discoloured noses and red shiny patches of indeterminate origin all over them.
>>
>>44385482
>wouldn't the crew making Nightlight possibly benefit from a deal if they allied with Penny Arcade?
I never said the originators would be making Nightlight, they would just be shooed away by PA and the rest of the masses, labeled as ripoff artists trying to push for false information.
>>
>>44385518
Sadly, yes, that would be the likely outcome. Just trying to find best case scenarios late at night for a system I like. Far too easy to go to the worst case scenarios, gotta have hope somewhere.
>>
>>44385412
>We are not tribes, these are websites that you access at your leisure.

But you don't understand, if they keep coming here, they're going to make this place more like Reddit. 4chan might become some sort of terrible place where people have discussions based on loosely defined topics with the ability to post images and upload created content to an interested audience.

Is that really what you want?
>>
>>44385660
>It will be like 4chan except without the Anonymity as tripfags litter the board and eventually beg JapMoot for a rating system.
>>
>>44385412
>We are not tribes
Like fuck we aren't. Us and Them is what humanity is all about all the time motherfucker!
>>
Honestly I can think of at least three other games/pieces of media that did "toys protect kids at night" 10+ years before the Nightlight threads in here. The name is a pretty big coincidence but then again it's a common word for a setting like that.
It's not original donut steel, it's convergent evolution.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.