[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars - Recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: xMNMuZL[1].png (1 MB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
xMNMuZL[1].png
1 MB, 1600x800
My friend has been bugging me to run a Star Wars campaign for a long time, so I'm finally biting the bullet. I intend for all the players (all two of them) to be Jedi padawans with the storyline taking place before the events of The Phantom Menace.

As I understand it there are 3 systems to choose from; West End Games, WotC and Fantasy Flight. Any recommendations for which system to use?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>44379082
Fantasy flight is great for low power "scrapping by campaigns". WotC is 3rd edition DnD with all that entails. Saga is closer to 4th ed, and I haven't tried the d6 since I was a kid.

So if you want high power, Jedi crashing star destroyers I'd recommend WotC, if you want to be something else I'd recommend Fantasy Flight
>>
I'd probably recommend going with ffg. Been playimg EotE with my group recently and I feel like it's a really good system.

Just out of curiosity, why set it right before episode 1?
>>
>>44379327

Not 'right' before, just before the whole Anakin malarkey and when the Jedi were still up-and-running. I definitely want things before Order 66.

>>44379270

The plot is going to be that there a rumours bubbling about that a Sith Lord is trying to recruit an apprentice from among the padawans of the Jedi Academy. The players will be assisting their Jedi Knights in investigating the rumours and if they prove to be true, hunting the Sith Lord down and destroying them. When they travel to a certain system and investigate something (details will be ironed out) they will each have a vision of the Sith Lord coming to them and telling them that they are uniquely powerful and have a great deal of potential and that they should become the apprentice, though remain with the Jedi academy until the time is right. If things go right, one or both of them will agree and will not tell the other of their vision (even if they don't agree to it - I'm going to have some Inquisition level bullshittery going on within the Jedi where padawans are being cast out from the academy from a mere hint that they may be turning to the dark side - again, details will be ironed out). The campaign finale will be the padawans confronting the Sith Lord in person and:

If they both denied his offer, they will simply fight the Sith Lord.

If one of them agreed, they will be instructed to prove themselves by killing their friend. If the apprentice is killed, the Sith Lord will flee.

If they both agreed, they will be instructed that the survivor will become the Sith Lord's apprentice.

I figured I'd throw my plot out there to give you guys a better of idea of where I'm going with this.
>>
>>44379462
Seems a bit railroady, but still pretty interesting. Is the sith lord is Palpatine or is the story set before him or Plagueis?
Also, do they have an NPC master accompanying them?
>>
>>44379520

They'll have an NPC Master, yeah. It's going to be a bit railroady, mostly to get to grips with the system for all of us. There's going to be a "this is how things start" and a general idea of how I want things to end and everything in between will be on them.

The story is before Palpatine, not necessarily before Plagueis. As I understand it there can be many Sith Lord and apprentices operating at any one time, but they don't have any kind of Sith Council like the Jedi do? They're just independent pairs. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>>44379668
Fairly certain the rule of two means there can only be two 'sith' at any one time. I've always thought that was stupid. If you wanted (and feel as though it might help the story) you could set it before Darth Bane (who mead that rule) or after episode 6 when it looks like they've stopped following that rule .
>>
>>44379082
Gurps. Just do it. It has everything you want and more.
>>
>>44379785
>Heroin. Just do it. It has everything you want and more.
>>
>>44379843
>Midichlorians. Just do it. It has everything you want and more.
>>
>>44379888
>The Dark Side. Just do it. It has everything you want and more.
>>
>>44379785

I've heard GURPS is clunky and, whilst versatile, is not the best. Systems designed specifically for Star Wars exist; I'd prefer to use them than a generic system.
>>
>>44379785
If we are bringing generic systems into this, I'd reccomend Savage Worlds over GURPS. Hell, I'd fucking reccomend FATE over GURPS.
>>
>>44379668
There are only Two. One Master. One Apprentice.

But since Sidious is a powergaming piece of shit, it's not unreasonable to assume that Plagueis bends the Rule too.
>No, I swear! The Rule of Two is upheld!
>That guy is only a PROSPECTIVE apprentice! Not an apprentice!
>Oh, that guy can't be a real Sith, he doesn't count!
>Those guys? Not Sith, only Dark Side Force Users under my command and tutelage! See? Rule still intact!

It's how Sidious blindsided the Jedi so well. They assumed that there were only two,.
>>
>>44380021

Who would Sidious be answering to? I know it's one Master, one Apprentice, but I thought there could be multiple masters in the galaxy?
>>
>>44379082
I can offer you a homebrew built almost from the ground up. Interested?
>>
>>44380089
Plagueis was his master. And nah, there can only be one. You become the new master by killing the old one. The reasoning of the Rule of Two is basically: By ensuring that you can only be top dog by killing your master by yourself and not with the help of other apprentices, the Sith will only become stronger. Should there be several apprentices, they could band together and overpower their master, but separate they would be weaker and thus the line of the Sith would have become weaker.

There's no mention of more than one Master/Apprentice pair in the current canon that I'm aware of.
Of course, it's YOUR campaign and you can do whatever you want with it. If you want to stick strictly to the current canon, it's safest to assume that in the years before Phantom Menace, it's Sidious and Plagueis and that's it.
Well, apart from any Not-Apprentices of the two that totally don't count.
>>
>>44380360

I'll fudge something out.

>>44380347

Sounds good, I'd love to see it.
>>
>>44380592
Sure. What's your e-mail?
>>
>>44380360
You don't need to feel compelled to obey canon in your games. If the Sith are unaware of one another, they could exist.
>>
There is the obvious fix of setting the plot at a time when the rule of two wasn't in effect and you couldn't swing a dead jawa without hitting a force user of some description.
>>
>>44380888
What if I told you that everyone had the potential to be a Force user?
>>
>>44381422
That sounds retarded, but I'm intrigued as to why that would be.
>>
>>44381587
Because the Force is everywhere. The ability to use it comes from within you, what matters is if you learn how. That's how it was in the OT. I don't think Midichlorian bullshit changed that.
>>
>>44381730
I get that the force is everywhere but honestly everyone having a connection to it and everyone being able to become a wielder of it feel like two very different things. The galaxy is just too damn populated for me to be able to believe that force users haven't cropped up more than has been shown if literally everyone can become a user.
>>
>>44381857
That's because it was a trilogy of moral tales, not an RPG setting.
>>
>>44380667
Post it here. The rest of us want to see it as well.
>>
>>44382033
Okay. Gonna need to go home and hocus pocus my files on the comp. Currently at work on a mobile.
>>
Currently in a campaign where yhe party takes place of obi wan and qui gon in Phantom menace. We landed and stopped last week. Wotc is probably best system. Fantasy flights new system is garbage. We did pathfinder feat progression to give us more uuumph. Have fun.
>>
>>44382453
What's wrong with the FFG system?
>>
>>44379462
>>being this railroady
>>a Sith Lord recruiting padawans

Dude that's dumb. Maybe have a failed Jedi Knight who thinks he's a sith

Also, use Saga edition, remove the Jedi class and give everyone two bonus feats, give every class access to the Jedi traits. That way you won't have a whole party in exactly the same class
>>
>>44379082
WEG D6 is objectively the best of all of them.
>>
>>44382453
>Wotc is probably best system.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>44382936
I was thinking of using that one, how does it compare to Wotc?
>>
>>44380360

I know Plagueis was always meant to be one of those 'far-off vistas never meant to be explored' (to paraphrase Tolkien) but you gotta wonder what his deal really was.

If he was so powerful and knowledgeable that he could make himself immortal, I wonder if he was the first Sith to really set himself free by allowing Sidious to kill him.
>>
>>44380888
Right. The Rule of Two is self imposed because they start tripping over each other and get cocky enough to not stay in the shadows. The Sith line learned from experience to keep the numbers low.
>>
>>44379082
D6 because there's OpenD6. Having an SRD makes things a lot simpler.
>>
>>44379082
I like RuneQuest 6 with the Star Wars supplement, but that is designed with only the movies in mind and doesn't give a ton of options.

If you like a nearly crippling amount of customization, go FFG. The math is janky, the force powers rules are NOT built for pre original trilogy at all, and the books are beautiful but poorly laid out; but you will feel like you are playing an EU game. I recommend boosting force ratings by 1 for "true" Jedi trained before Order 66.
>>
>>44383899
Yeah but when the numbers are low you just don't get enough sith on sith action. Their likeness to a sack stuffed full of wet cats is one of my favorite parts about star wars.
>>
>>44384704
>The math is janky
How so? I am slowly reading the core for Edge of the Empire and everything seems to work, more or less. At least at the first glance.

>the force powers rules are NOT built for pre original trilogy
Even with Force and Destiny?
>>
>>44380667

[email protected]
>>
>>44389569
>posting something besides a throw-away email address on 4chan
>>
>>44379757
There were plenty of Sith in Darth Bane's order who ignored the rule of two when it was inconvenient. I believe Plagueis had two apprentices at the same time. Meanwhile, Palpatine had Maul as his apprentice while Plagueis was still around.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.