[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the races in your world, /tg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87
File: qWf9aft.jpg (23 KB, 500x626) Image search: [Google]
qWf9aft.jpg
23 KB, 500x626
Tell me about the races in your world, /tg/
>>
>>44229488
At least the one I'm currently working on. World is posthuman postapocalypse. All the inhabitants have been magically mutated for various reasons into three races that still call themselves human, but are different from what humanity used to actually look like. Each one is representative of certain sins or wrongdoings, and while individuals can be decent people, in large groups they tend to be assholes.
>Gremlins
Short little miscreants, representative of pollution and vandalism. Gremlins are the most environmentally destructive and technologically progressive people. They are orange/red-fleshed, short and stout, with big ears and noses, and a resistance to most toxins that allows them to exist in the wake of their unbridled, poisonous industry.
>Korrigans
The most human in stature and shape, but green/yellow-skinned with prominent horns on their heads. Korrigans represent treachery and deception, and are ruthless, backstabbing schemers while also being the driving force behind modern civilization. They are both the most social and antisocial people, the most likely to form the next team or cult or army with a driving cause, and the most likely to kill their best friends for selfish reasons.
>Trolls
The biggest and stronkest species, blue/purple skinned and with mutated, scaly, or tough hides. Trolls are representative of wrath and rape, with the most dominant genes of the three races – children born from a Troll parent and a parent of another race appear almost completely troll-like. They are the most traditional and nature-loving people, obsessed with taming the wilderness and hunting any challenging monster they come across. They are also the most warlike and militant, with violence always their first answer to solving problems.

They started off as independent peoples centuries ago, but now it's rare to find them separated. All major civilized areas will feature about an even number of all of them.
>>
>>44229691
Why the fuck would anybody put up with Trolls? They sound like they would be a legitimate reason for a genocide in that setting
>>
>>44229729
Everyone's tried to kill each other, and everyone still hates the stereotypical members of the other two species. Korrigans and Trolls hate Gremlins because they ruin the environment and keep deconstructing and vandalizing everything around them for "science". Trolls and Gremlins hate Korrigans because they're backstabbing traitors and manipulative bastards. Korrigans and Gremlins hate Trolls because they keep ooga-boogaing all their green/red women and are literally behind most of the world's recent wars.

But over time, the normal, non-stereotypical members of each race have come together in the middle of the map and have built functioning civilizations together. All three together almost make each other decent human beings, keeping each other in check. It's usually when they cling to their own in a large homogenous group that you find yourself with a roving bandit gang of vandals/assassins/rapists.

Plus, there are a fuck ton of monsters that create a unifying common enemy for them. Undead, demons, chimeras, golems, and more keep them all friendly with each other to survive the next big problem.
>>
Not!elves were, tried to ascend, destroyed all the magic in the world and died apart from an eunuch and a peasant.
Not!dwarves live in the trees that have taken over the not!elves' former kingdom.
The wage war with a race of crystalline ant-lizards.
The empire of Man is dying as their continent is slowly turning into a desert as the Emperor uses to keep it fresh with his magics but then 6 of his 10 generals/advisors got greedy and turned on him and killed him, and along with it magic as he had turned pretty much into the Pole of Magic, and the continent.
>>
File: 1393305750307.jpg (155 KB, 900x637) Image search: [Google]
1393305750307.jpg
155 KB, 900x637
>>44229488
Fuck it.

Low fantasy(ish) setting. Instances of magic and or magic creatures are usually pretty fucking crazy and brutal, and people who can wield magic are next to unheard of.

>Humans of course
A mixture of Norse and Eastern European culture/style.
>Elves
Batshit crazy fucks that live in the forests. Cannibalistic, no observable governing system as far as the humans can tell. Eclectic looking, some have antlers, partially bark covered skins, moss gorwing on them, and others are weird mixtures/hybrids of forest creatures. Innately magical, but their magic is chaotic and the root of their mutations.
>Dwarfs
Extinct, systematically murdered early in the humans history by the Draconians who seemingly appeared out of nowhere. Artifacts from their technologically advanced civilization are highly sought after but dangerous to retrieve as they reside in Draconian territory usually.
>Draconians
Gigantic 12 foot tall zealot dickheads. Innately magical, master armorers and craftsman. Destroyed the dwarfs because they believed their god, an actual dragon, was cast down and buried beneath the mountains during creation.
>Ursahg
Giant.Fucking.Bears. massive compared to animal bears, they reside all throughout the elven forests and parts of the North near human civilization. Reclusive with little known about their civilization as it doesn't resemble anything the humans could categorize as one. They do business with the human's semi regularly on an individual scale, and somehow get along with fucknut elves.

>various minor fantasy races and creatures
Like centaurs and goblins, small tribes that are mostly primitive living in the forests. Vampires and Werewolves, stupidly uncommon and tend to be extremely old.
>>
File: Map.jpg (811 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
811 KB, 1024x768
>white people
Essentially euro-slavic shit
>black people
Essentially the great African kingdoms
>really white people
Essti/Northern Scandinavians
>Mediterranean on crack
Crete/Italy/North Africa just extremely exaggerated
>Foreigners
East Asians, Indians, very rare but do appear
>Myth
A race of those with Asian skin tone but the facial ascetics of white people. Tall, muscled, and real heroes.
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (104 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
104 KB, 500x484
Why bother?

These threads are just anons dumping their special snowflake settings with nobody even reading that shit.
>>
I am reading them... I like the Gremlin/Korrigan/Troll races that OP posted OP is still a faggot
>>
>>44230749
I like reading them because it gives me ideas for my special snowflake settings ya fuck.
>>
File: 1430864262658.jpg (51 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
1430864262658.jpg
51 KB, 480x446
There's the humans and their subspecies such dwarves and elves that are known for their large numbers and high fertility rates and established kingdoms.

Beyond the kingdoms are loose tribes and villages of wolfmen that like to raid and pillage the kingdoms and haul away busty women to breed

There are also a race of bunny people that are short in stature and are often enslaved by the other races. Known for their effeminate boys and curvy women

There are the Minotaur clans that ride elephant-sized bison and act as dangerous nomads that lay waste to entire cities and break in aforementioned bunny people

In the thick jungles are also tales of Amazon warriors with big throbbing cocks
>>
>>44229488
>The Gnoll Men

They are just about to hit the industrial period and glorify philosophy. It's really just a non-violent / steam tech version of the Charr because i'm lazy as fuck.
>>
most of them are made of candy
>>
File: 1449800166556.jpg (223 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1449800166556.jpg
223 KB, 1200x800
>>44230814
I didn't post those

>>44230624
>A race of those with Asian skin tone but the facial ascetics of white people.
So... ordinary white people
>>
File: Races.png (3 MB, 2348x1724) Image search: [Google]
Races.png
3 MB, 2348x1724
Half of the art is from drawthreads here

I was originally going to leave out the human/elf/dwarf races, but didn't want all of the unique races to be too alienating. I haven't had a single player make a human/elf/dwarf though, so I guess I did good?
>>
Fire imps. Some dumbass mage decided he wanted a (then feral) fire imp as a familiar, so he made an Amulet of Sentience, caught himself an imp, and put it on the imp. Said imp escaped at the earliest possible opportunity and went back to his volcano. He discovered that the Amulet's effect was permanent and touched it to all his old buddies, making them sentient too.

The newborn nation sits astride the volcano where they emerged from, between dwarven and elven lands. Dwarves taught them how to be civilized in return for being fireproof miners and portable forges on occassion.
>>
>>44230218
>Batshit crazy fucks that live in the forests. Cannibalistic, no observable governing system as far as the humans can tell. Eclectic looking, some have antlers, partially bark covered skins, moss gorwing on them, and others are weird mixtures/hybrids of forest creatures. Innately magical, but their magic is chaotic and the root of their mutations.

This sounds pretty much identical to my Elves, except I also have civilized Elves.
>>
>>44229488
There's only white people.
>>
File: 1424941259100.jpg (13 KB, 310x502) Image search: [Google]
1424941259100.jpg
13 KB, 310x502
Insufferable little shits.
>>
>>44229488
>Worgi
Short Dog people with three thumbs who as a whole despise Mages. The derogatory term towards these guys is Furry
>Dwarves
Short Cave dwellers who look kinda like neanderthals but without the brow ridge and with whiskers like a cat. embroiled in Gang based Civil war
>Genetic engineering guys(name plox)
They stand around 7 foot and the consider genetic engineering a holy art.
>Humans
Humans who migrated from Earth 50 years ago [world time] wrecked the Dwarves in the border wars with modern military tech
>Kreken
Kinda look like furred lizards at about 6 feet
Not really from the world but they are the masters of a nearby Space empire and regularly do trade and collect flora and fauna for future terraforming projects
>>
The actual races aren't that interesting; I think the only thing is how I arranged them; they're set up on a two-axis scale, with Light/High/Natural/Low/Dark as the vertical and, Dwarf/Demi-Dwarf/Humanoid/Demi-Elf/Elf on the horizontal, with humans as the "true neutral" option. I might make a chart of it at some point.

My personal favorite are the Dark Dwarves. They're wandering/sedentary junkyard dwellers that make all of their stuff out of scrap metal and stolen goods. Basically a cross between duregar and goblins with a Mad Max/Borderlands aesthetic.
>>
In short, most of my creatures are shorter then an human and all of them have that freakish short strength
So far my favorite are theses slimy like people I based off of the first episode of batman: batb and the slime people in Wakfu
>>
>>44229488
>humans
>demihuman-blooded (tielfing, dragonblooded, aasimar, etc)
>standard fantasy races (elves, dwarves, halflings, etc)

>beastfolk ranging from 'furry' to 'only kinda furry'. (very-beastfolk can't survive on the surface, and either die or wither to the 'only kinda beastfolk' variants.)

>fox-merchant-thieves
>females are anthropomorphic foxes; some can shapeshift into fully-human-ish or fully-fox forms
>males are less furry, like slightly manlier, hairier elves and don't usually have tails
>have an elaborate society, fondness for masks in public that tell you about the wearer (they're a little too close to faceless below, geographically) and twin goddesses of merchanting and thievery whom you're expected to take after one or the other

>dragonblooded
>human variants descended from dragons; somewhat distinct race; have own country as well as appearing scattered here or there
because
>kobolds
>slave race (as far as can be determined, the world was initially populated with races intended to serve our amoral, malign creator. Most of them were liberate/reprogrammed 'free'. Some, kobolds, apparently, were not)
>intended as the worker-race, to a degree instinctually, inherently obedient to dragon-blooded
>loyal and obedient, so long as led by a dragonblooded (if you send them off to do something way distant with no overseer though, they'll eventually forget what they're doing and sorta drop things and wander back home.)
>since they're naturally drawn to charismatic or 'proper' dragonblooded, you can't really terrorize them into service; they either sense that you are what they expect of a leader and aggregate around you... or not. And wander off.
>among the dragonblooded nobility (others were made as a slave race? dragonblooded seem to have been made as a middle-management race, overseers and such) it's discussed and suggested that the kobolds almost serve the land more than their actual masters
>>
>>44233848

Think kind of like Shogunate japan or Imperial china, peasants through middle class replaced with kobolds. And if you oppress them too much they just sort of walk off and decided to follow the next diamyo over.
I'm pretty intrigued by it, and it's certainly one of the more interesting kobold utilizations I've seen.

>faceless
>horrible doppleganger-shoggoth hibrids
>dire mimics
>can take the shape of people; can take the shape of things with entirely too many tentacles and teeth; rapid regeneration
>can draw information from people they eat to impersonate them; some even seem able to do it without eating someone, just being near them
>pretty much only fire and salt can kill them; they light up like a treat, and even being dipped in seawater is lethal to them
>maximum spoopy, don't visit their home unless you want to re-enact At the Mountains of Madness with even less survivors

That's what I got so far, broski.

Also, >Some, kobolds, apparently, were not
should be >Some- kobolds, apparently- were not.
>>
>>44229488
>Humans only

My players only ever RP as humans anyway, so fuck it.
>>
File: 1389143880223.gif (2 MB, 224x126) Image search: [Google]
1389143880223.gif
2 MB, 224x126
>>44235483
>>Humans only
>>
>>44235519

>I need le Tolkien races to create an interesting world or story.

Nice meme friend.
>>
>>44232488
>Genetic engineers
The D'na.
>>
Fairies are hostile to humans no matter what and are an extension of the planet's consciousness. Elves are basically Native Americans and the New World is being colonized by humans. Dragons are basically magic gods. Ghosts and vampires and shit exist but not much info on them.
>>
>Homo Sapiens "The Last Sons and Daughters of Earth"
Those unlucky few who were sent out in generation or stasis ships before fully functional FTL travel was invented. The only humans left in the setting and basically reduced to a charity case by most of the other races in the setting, if only for lack of numbers. Have to make a living somehow and often become mercenaries, explorers, or other jobs that require minimal connection to any galactic body. Seen as rough and flighty by many of the other races. Very few human colonies, and most large scale companies only make token amounts of technology for humans so it adds to their need to scavenge to survive.

>"Humanity"
The artificial descendants of the humans from Earth. Post-human and alien, even by alien standards, they keep to themselves at the edge of civilized space. Very advanced but tend to try and avoid getting involved with galactic politics. There's some amount of suspicion about them, especially among humans, about where the original humanity went. The "official" explanation is a mix of unchecked transhumanism mixed with declining birthrates leading to passive human extinction, but some have less rational theories. Maintain the Sol system as a national park and their only embassy is on Earth.

>Edolari
A race of protoplasmic shapeshifters with perfect mimicry potential. The only way to tell one from the species it's pretending to be is to run a genetic test. Require females of other races to reproduce, as they are essentially all male. Despite being distrusted by many, they are actually an almost universally courteous and polite race, having developed that way due to millions of years living as parasites among the species of their home world. Never developed civilization or space travel, but stowed away on an explorer ship that visited, they can now be found all across the galaxy, living among other races unseen but not unknown. Generally make livings in the service industry or as courtesans.

cont.
>>
>>44235703
>Edolari cont.
Though, they are also prized as assassins despite it going against their pacifist demeanor, further adding to negative stigma about them.

>Raxans
Six-limbed arboreal predators. Superficially resemble a mix of apes, birds, and dinosaurs. While they are a very social animal, descended from pack hunters and tribal allegiances run strong even in modern Raxan society, they can be extremely belligerent and aggressive by other races standards. Blunt, straightforward, and often lacking empathy but not cunning, you're just as likely to see one as a high powered corporate executive as you are a hit man. Raxans pride themselves on their cutthroat mentality, regarding backstabbing and stepping on those below you as natural parts of a healthy community. A member race of the Galactic Conclave.

>Sabranyr
Elf-like humanoids with skin tones ranging from matte gold to silvery white and with vibrantly coloured eyes. On average they're incredibly beautiful by human standards, they stand a few inches shorter than the average Homo Sapien, but frequently wear leg augmentations to hide this. Consummate politicians and traditionally conservative, they were the race that originally proposed the Galactic Conclave that now governs a solid majority of the galaxies citizens.

That's all I have right now, and yeah they're pretty trope-y by most standards. I'm trying to bang out the last 4-5 major races.
>>
>>44236186
>Edolari
Literally 'magical realm: the race'.
>>
>>44236701
Pretty much. I started with "What would the Asari be like if they are all male instead of female?" and worked backwards from there.
>>
>>44229691
>World made up of entirely evil races trying to be civilized.

I like it.
>>
>>44235650
Thanks
>>
>>44231206

>Dem mercors

Hell yes. What system does your game use? I'd love to know what kind of racial bonuses they get. I just love the aesthetics of that race.
>>
File: Pig orc or maybe bruteling.png (492 KB, 704x368) Image search: [Google]
Pig orc or maybe bruteling.png
492 KB, 704x368
>Humans and Hybrids
The vast majority of the people are humans or humans mixed with something. Humans were created by a volcano god and as such they are both destructive and fertile.

Some humans are part animal, some are part plant, some are dead that have been brought back to life, some are mixed with gods, some even are mixed with nonliving things. There are stories of men who slept with the moonlight or women who straddled mountains; from these came bloodlines with very strange names and powers.

>Orcs
Common secondary race, look like pigs. Many are normal people who live in society; but most of the viscous ones people come across are part of a religious sect called the Vimteru who oppose the genetic crossing of different species; hence they hate humans because humans are all fucked up. Orcs can only breed with each other, humans, or actual pigs. Humans mixed with pigs are not orcs; orcs are their own thing created by genetic experiments a long time ago by evil Wizard Gods.

>Trolls
Live in civilization but kind of dumb. Are actually the God's chosen people but the other races are mostly in denial about that.

>Kobolds/Slavelings
Created by Wizards, about half are conjured and half are bred from other kobolds. They have no crossbreeding potential but come in a few different shapes and sizes genetically speaking; small and sly Slavelings are the most common, then the fat and strong Brutelings and the tall and slender Queerlings who have magical powers.

I'm not sure if I am going to add any others because humans are kind of meant to fill in the other roles, as far as necessary.
>>
I'd post but people make South Park jokes whenever I do. Yeah, I get it, they taste like crabs but talk like people.
>>
basically the gist of my setting is a race of kinda humans used a massive magic nuke to wipe themselves out. The magic spilled out into the world, creating several species from the pre-existing wildlife. There were other races that survived this event, though they were basically blasted back to the stone age.

The Elefa- literally bipedal elephants. Heavily based on ancient Rome and roman mythology.

Humans- Vikings. Their ancient texts tell of stories of their ancestors coming north to get away from a tribe of rampaging giants that nearly destroyed the remnants of their old civilization.

Elves- Live in a giant rainforest, wary of humans and a number of the other races. Don't like strangers in their territory. Live in the ancient corpses/skeletons of giant creatures that once roamed the land. Debating giving them antlers.

The Kachu'e- A race of giant intelligent sea turtles that can control the elements of water and lightning. Nomadic, they follow the currents around the world, taking up shelter on a coastline for a few years before taking back to the sea.

The Sun'Asad- Basically TES Khajiit. Lost their homes to a race of Sand Beetle golems, they wander the world as merchants, thieves, bandits, prostitutes, etc. to make money.

The Renbalma- A pair of races that live together, one deer centaur, the other deer satyr. They once fought one another viciously, before a great calamity struck the land they fought over. The two races came together, and have long forgotten that they were once apart.

The orcs- Based heavily on various Native American tribes, they live in the Savannah's and forests south of the Elefa lands. They are at war with the Elefa, who believe that they have ownership over the orcs ancestral land. The orcs are very shamanistic, and can often call upon the beasts of the wilds to accompany them. That said, the greatest sin amongst the orc tribes is to use said power for hunting.

Cont.
>>
>>44238284
The Dwarves- Typical mining civilization, their country is entirely underground. A network of underground roads connect their cities, some of which have exits to the surface to trade with local cities above the ground.

Golems- Left over relics from a forgotten age, golems come in all shapes, sizes, and materials. While some are intelligent, most are guardians and wardens of a long dead civilization, and will kill any trespassers.

Dragons- A race of shape shifters, the dragons have watched the world for ages, long before the cataclysm. They see themselves as a race of watchers, their long lives spent hiding among the other races as one of their own, learning all there is to know.

I plan for a bunch of other races, but I doubt any of them will appear on the continents I've made currently for the world.
>>
>>44229488
Not entirely my own, as it's based on an existing setting. But some tweaks, of course.

>Humans
Your normal all-purpose human where the subdivisions are just different cultures settled into different parts of the world.

>Dwarves
Actual stone people, wrought from the earth and instilled with life by providence of their deity. They dig deep all as part of some "great work", but only the highest of the clergy knows what the deal is. Other than that dwarves are mostly tolkien-esque dwarves. Beards. Ale. Axes. All of that.

>Elves
Can't die from old age but can die from injury and disease. Most elves die "young" due to sickness and injury. Have an innate ability to see the emotional aura of people around them, but it goes two ways so other people can easily sense the mood of the elf if they concentrate.

>Orcs
I just use these as cannon fodder so I don't really bother with fleshing them out for the players. To them the orcs are just a bunch of douchebags that keep carrying loot. But in the existing setting orcs are the rape-babies of ogres in heat getting it on with goblins. Ogres are in turn the rape-babies of trolls getting it on with goblins. They deity thought "two rape-wrought subraces is enough" and stopped the trolls from going into heat more than a week per year. Goblins were created by a deity to be slaves to the trolls who were created to act as vanguard against some demonic infestation that's now gone. Apparently goblins are sturdy as shit. See why I don't delve into this garbage?
>>
File: mercor.png (190 KB, 765x653) Image search: [Google]
mercor.png
190 KB, 765x653
>>44237940
Thank you! They actually evolved from my idea of a troll who fancied himself a business troll, charging passerby to use his bridge.

It was originally my own system, but I switched over to just doing 5e for now. Here are their bonuses in that system (I can post traits for the other races too, just didn't want to bog down that image with more text)
>>
File: Race - Human.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Race - Human.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Well, my setting has two primary groups of races: the stoichen races and the sarkian races. The stoichen races are originally native to the four Elemental Primes that surround and form the Central Material, while the sarkian races are those races originally native to the Central Material. I actually need to change those terms to make them more consistent with the phonetics of the world, but that's for later.

>>Sarkian Races
Dwarves, Humans, Kinnari, Kitsune, Kobolds, and Orcs. Some cultures also split the sarkians into anthren races (dwarves, humans, orcs) and therian races (kinnari, kitsune, kobolds).

>Dwarves
Rather than Scottish Jews, I went back to some of the key concepts that lie at the heart of the modern conception of the dwarf--ancient, insular empires, heavy association with gold and wealth, and wondrous knowledge of various crafts--and ended up with a much more Chinese bent to the race. Rather than metallurgy, the dwarves practice alchemy...which has resulted in some unusual metals and alloys, such as one that flows almost as easily as cloth, but carries all the protection of normal plate. Notably, dwarves have virtually no sexual dimorphism aside from the genitals, which historically led them to place little emphasis on gender in terms of social roles. This is preserved in heavily dwarven areas, but dwarves in regions where they are a minority often adopt gender as a simple convenience.

>Humans
What is there to say about humans that we don't know by being them? Well, I did push them a bit harder in the "diplomacy" and "good of the group" directions in order to give them their own niche and open up some space for other races to fill, so they're arguably not one-to-one for real humans...unless you just accept that tens in all stats isn't the average human, I suppose. I've attached my makeshift stat writeup for them. Ignore the names section, it's shit and is a placeholder for use in generic D&D.
>>
>>44229488

>Dromites
Psionic ant-people that maintain a constant psychic connection via psi-crystals stored in their citadel.

>Xeph
Mountain-dwelling psychic monkey people with super-speed.

>Thri-Kreen
Desert-dwelling mantis men that eat their young. They come to the city to try and convince humans to eat their babies.
City dwelling thri-kreen suffer daily micro-aggressions; everywhere the thri-kreen go in the city they see signs depicting thri-kreen doing things with red X's over them.
>>
File: Mountain Tsidil.jpg (157 KB, 640x936) Image search: [Google]
Mountain Tsidil.jpg
157 KB, 640x936
>>44239162
>Kinnari
I haven't actually done a huge amount of development on the bird people yet. In a small part, that's because I haven't done the stoichen from the air Elemental Prime, but it's mostly just because I haven't gotten to the birds yet. They're likely going to emphasize freedom and ambition. Likely draw some visuals from corvids and bearded vultures.

>Kitsune
Every setting has to have a snowflake-bait race. I swear I read that rule somewhere. I haven't completely settled on the origins of the race yet, but I do know that their true form is that of a normal fox. They can change their shapes to any of the other races, though they can't impersonate monsters or objects. However, a kitsune isn't born with the ability to change into any form willy-nilly, instead having to learn them like languages. Once a kitsune has learned a form for a given race, it takes a great deal of time and effort to change the form that they take when changing into that race. Most likely, they're the result of magic interfering with a normal species of fox.

>Kobolds
Adorable little lizard people. Haven't gotten a huge amount of development yet, but they're one of the more roguish races. They tend to value self-improvement and dislike direct conflict, but are usually willing to get their hands dirty when necessary.

>Orcs
The newest addition to the sheet, and the one I've done the least work on. One idea that I'm toying with is giving them a strong connection to the past and tradition, but with an edge of the normal orcish ruthlessness and a brush of honor.
>>
File: Race - Ohen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Race - Ohen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44239365
>>Stoichen Race
Ehekatl, Ohanya, Surai, and Yanren. Ehektal and Yanren are currently placeholder names, but I need something to call them.

While the other races are all variations on existing themes, the stoichen races are all OC DONUT STEEL. As a part of their development, I'm working with my regular players and an outside artist that I'm commissioning to help us develop their visuals. Each race has a different player "in charge" of it in order to make sure that we end up with a variety of different traits and emphases.

>Ehektal
The stoichens originally native to Habakad, the air Elemental Prime. They're actually last in line for concepting, but we've discussed whether or not they'll be capable of true flight or gliding, with one idea being that they might have patagia with exaggerated cartilage spurs like those found in flying squirrels. As a result of not knowing exactly whether or not they'll have "wings," they've slowed down some of the kinnari concepting.

>Ohanya
Ohanya are the most complete of any of the races currently, due to being the first ones to get an artistic pass. They'll probably get another one at the end because we actually learned a lot about the process itself over the course of their development, and we'll want to bring them up to the same level as the other races.

Ohanya are passionate and inventive, originally native to the fire Elemental Prime of Qažadar. They are highly associated with the creative aspects of fire, and have very good spatial intuition. They're also...huge. Just...really big. And disturbingly quick on their feet for their size. I've attached their writeup, but I have a much longer one that I'll post at the end.

I did a lot of weird and inventive stuff with their biology--they actively vent heat through their fiery veins, rather than cooling through evaporation. They also incorporate iron sulfides into the bones of their digits, with the result that they can conduct a lot of heat through punches and kicks.
>>
File: Suros mystic.png (2 MB, 1280x1334) Image search: [Google]
Suros mystic.png
2 MB, 1280x1334
>>44239567
Ohanya tend to borrow from Slavic cultural trends in the same way that dwarves borrow from Chinese ones. While, in general, I have culture broken up by region, rather than species, the presence of a given race in a region tends to bring in elements of their "base" cultural inspirations in order to make things feel a bit more contiguous. So, every region with dwarves has at least a slight Chinese influence, every region with ohanya has a slight Slavic influence, and so on.

>Surai
The race we're currently working on, originally native to Baťrasa, the water Elemental Prime. Picture attached. Surai are actually marsupials, and so often have a bit of a different perspective on growth and change than a member of another race might. In their eyes, one is never finished developing, and the best way to develop is to explore and learn more about the world. Rationality is also valued above blind passion, with the concept of "placidity" having a lot of weight.

Their breathing was a pain in the ass. I'm not even going to try to figure out how to summarize it, I'm just going to attach the current version of their writeup to a later post. Basically, they have both gills and lungs and it's dumb. That third eye on her forehead is pretty cool, though--it's the central organ of the electroreceptive system. They actually don't have a perfectly upright posture, though the image doesn't show it, as their original home was far more aquatic than their new one.

Surai borrow from Mediterranean and Hellenic cultural trends. Philosophy is generally considered a valuable pursuit for all walks of life.
>>
File: Size Chart.png (2 MB, 3000x873) Image search: [Google]
Size Chart.png
2 MB, 3000x873
>>44239823
>Yanren
While they haven't undergone artistic development yet, the person "in charge" of them has some pretty solid starting ideas, so I'll rattle those off.

First off, they're the smallest stoichen race. I've attached a size comparison chart of the stoichen races for reference. The black outline is standard human height, the white outline is ehekatl, and the orange outline is yanren. So, that should give you an idea of what we're talking about when we say "small." They're not childlike in their proportions, though--they're somewhat stocky and give an overall sense of density when you see them. There's a bit of stone patterning to their skin, but, most notably, they have a lot of wool. Very floofy. The wool serves as a medium in which plant life grows, such as moss and vines and other things that haven't been fully defined yet. The idea is to evoke earth as the "lowest" element, but also the one in which life takes root.

While they are unlikely to be stoic or dispassionate, they might be somewhat deadpan in order to play up earth's association with stability. They value preservation, and are the longest-lived of the races, but also don't fear death with quite the same intensity as their less long-lived fellows.

Their cultural trends are likely to be influenced by India or other South Asian cultures. Haven't entirely nailed that down yet.

---

There are a few other types of entity stuffed in around the cracks, but those are the major mortal races of the Central Material. Elves used to be around, but died off in a horrible catastrophe that reshaped the world into what it is today. Though some say that the fey that plague the great forests of the south are formed from their twisted souls, trapped for centuries in a crack in the planar architecture.

I'll go ahead and respond to this with the detailed writeup for ohanya and the in-progress writeup for surai.
>>
File: Ohanya Lexicon Entry.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ohanya Lexicon Entry.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44239985
Stupidly detailed writeup of the ohanya.
>>
File: Surai Lexicon Entry.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Surai Lexicon Entry.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44240020
And what I have so far for the Surai. Got stalled out in Biological Variation, but maybe I'll get some more done this weekend.

While I know there's probably too much in this series of posts for anyone to bother reading through all of it, I do value the chance to try to explain the races to the void to see how it makes me think about them and possibly inspire future revisions. Cheers.
>>
>>44230218
>>Elves
>Batshit crazy fucks that live in the forests. Cannibalistic, no observable governing system as far as the humans can tell. Eclectic looking, some have antlers, partially bark covered skins, moss gorwing on them, and others are weird mixtures/hybrids of forest creatures. Innately magical, but their magic is chaotic and the root of their mutations.
>>Dwarfs
>Extinct, systematically murdered early in the humans history by the Draconians who seemingly appeared out of nowhere. Artifacts from their technologically advanced civilization are highly sought after but dangerous to retrieve as they reside in Draconian territory usually.

you are doing it right nigga
>>
hmm...
well...

>Humans
not much to tell, they can be found all over and their culture can be just as varied as the terrains they choose to live in. Generally speaking they are largely indifferent toward other races unless some specific aspect of local culture that would instill animosity towards other races, or a long-running history of malice from another specific people.
(for example most humans hate Goblins because every encounter with goblins has ended with the goblins attacking unprovoked)

>Hobgoblins
Far from the malevolent being they are sometimes portrayed as, hobgoblins are a friendly and hard-working people, though their notoriously foul-mouths and seemingly vulgar sense of humor can be off-putting for many, but they are still a common sight among many settlements. Fairy-folk (fairies, pixies, leprechauns and so-forth), on the other hand, have this almost irrational hatred of Hobgoblins to the point where some will immediately become hostile or even violent at the sight of one, no one but the Hobgoblins themselves know why.

1/3
>>
File: 1432419825911.jpg (102 KB, 710x820) Image search: [Google]
1432419825911.jpg
102 KB, 710x820
>>44240374

>Kobolds
when the valley was first eyed by settlers, the Silver Dragon that dwells there made a deal with them. He would allow them to settle these lands of his so long as they would allow the kobolds squatting in his cave to live among them as equals, all agreed to these terms except the Gnomes who refused to agree to such terms and left for other lands. the Kobolds soon filled the hole left by the Gnome's departure, becoming engineers and inventors among the other races. Many in the land have come to appreciate the Kobold's practical and ingenious designs over the Gnome's more audacious and whimsical devices.

>Halflings
living out on islands all along the coasts and seas, Halflings still live in more tribal societies ruled by local chieftains. among Halfling society one shows off their wealth and influence by ammassing a great hoard of treasure and goods and then giving it all away to the other halflings (usually with those they want to impress more or garner more favor with getting a larger share).

>Tieflings
once the rare result of a union beween a fiendish outsider and a human; the Tiefling people are the descendants of several garrisons that, due to a bold project that went awry, were trapped in the abyss and forced to fight their way back to the material plane, the ordeal left their bodies physically corrupted but their spirits pure. Most Tiefling societies are deeply pious and are typically organized into "Paladin states" where the region is ruled by either a local Paladin, or Paladin Order.

2/3
>>
File: 1401261768552.jpg (2 MB, 4263x4592) Image search: [Google]
1401261768552.jpg
2 MB, 4263x4592
>>44240400

>Dire Humans
sometimes called "Neanderthals" these people build their settlements in natural caves that they then expand on as their population grows. Not able to manufacture complex tools of their own, Neanderthals will trade ores and precious minerals they find underground for manufactured goods they themselves cannot make, like metal weapons and armor, iron cooking utensils, sewing kits, etc. Due to their choice in settlements, growing Neanderthal settlements often run afoul of the denizens of the underground leading to much bloodshed, as a result they have a reputation as fierce warriors.

>Elves
Once a proud people with deep ties to magic and nature, Elves are not native to this land, their ships only appeared within the last century or two and they have struggled with being in a strange land not accustomed to their ways, even Elvin druids often find the very woods themselves to be strange and alien to them.

>Vanaras
An ancient race of monkey-folk, Vanaras have a very strained relationship with other races due to a Vanaras having had no concept of 'property' until the other races settled the region resulting in Vanaras constantly stealing food from their granaries and larders. it's not unheard of for patrols to double in towns when Vanara travelers or traders arrive.

>Ratfolk
also one of the ancient inhabitants of the region they had simmilarly poor first contact expierence with the other races resulting both a poor understanding of 'personal property' leading to ranpant theft, and their ancestor's poor understanding of sanitation also causing more than a few plagues to spread, led to frequent wars with the other races, however, unlike the Vanaras, the Ratfolk have made much more effort to improve relations through trade.

>Catfolk
Notorious Cannibals and headhunters, Catfolk see the other races as little more than prey to be hunted, Human meat being a particularly popular luxury.

3/4
>>
>>44240415
>Dhampir
Once thought to be a half-human, half vampire hybrid. Dhampir are really a race of humans that developed a taste for the flesh of other races millennia before the first vampire was ever created. However, despite Neanderthal Shamen insisting that their people wiped out the Dhampir eons before recorded history, there are still those who claim to have seen them out beyond the explored wilderness.

>Dark Elves
Though Elves refuse to acknowledge this but sometimes their studies of magic will lead them to make contact with beings that should be best left undisturbed. Driven mad by this some thought to flee deep underground hoping the miles of rock would silence the voices of those beings; instead their descendants would become the Drow, a race of ash-skinned, red-eyed elves whose societies are dedicated to he worship of Hastur and the great old ones.
>>
>High Elves
Supreme douchebags in history. Their obsessive curiousity eventually lead them to conquer the land of the wood elves, dwarves, and almost the dark elves. They also nearly genocided the goblins for keeping the secrets of the arcane. After almost every race fought against them, high elf defilers made a desperate attempt by reportedly blowing up their own capital when all the other soldiers were invading. They actually raised the capital and surrounding area into the clouds as a floating continent, struggling to regain their once former glory.
>Human, Minotaurs, Orcs
Experiments of the supposedly extinct high elves. Humans were originally high elf peasants given a weakened dose of the same magic used for minotaurs and orcs. Orcs were once often high elf vanguards and minotaurs were once high elf berserkers. They now live around where the former high elf capital was. Probably the only races that really get along with each other. Not all that fleshed out.
>Tanuki / Kitsune.
Summoned to teach the other races about arcane magic, tanuki by orc rebels and kitsune by high elf clerics. They came from the fey world, but the entire race now resides in the material plane. They now live in the continent they call Bujihawa, Tanuki are the number one producers of opium and, despite slight racial tensions with kitsune, kitsune merchant princes often make a lot of gold from the profits.
(continued)
>>
Men ruled the Empire; Men now rule the High Kingdom that took its place. Men are mighty, social, civilized. Human politics and human warfare are often bewildering to the races of Faerie. Fair Folk still exist, but they dwindle with each passing generation.

Galdré
>The ignorant call them Wizards; the wise know them as prophets and servants of the Gods. They go about in the guise of old Men, but their motives are mysterious.

Huldré
>The "hidden folk" are Faerie beings of great power, descended from ancient unions of Men and Dragons. The Immortal Fire that is Dragon blood still flows through their veins. But while the Huldré do not age or suffer disease, they can still be slain. And so they hide deep in the forests and let their half-mortal progeny, the Elves, work their will in the world.

Elves
>Faerie folk which are descended from Huldré and Mankind. Agile, graceful, and subtly magical, elves tend toward recklessness and hedonism. They hunger for pleasures and experiences; most any elf wandering the world is an adventurer, a sailor, a swashbuckler.

Dwarves
>The Sons of Earth are not so strong or tough as legend would have you believe. Humans have more stamina; Ogres are far stronger. Dwarves are perhaps the cleverest of all the races, however. They have minds of metal and wheels—a knack for science, engineering, and technology, to be sure; but also the instincts required to navigate the labyrinthine and Machiavellian intrigues of Dwarven society (a plutocracy where rulership falls to the wealthiest clan that hasn't yet had its preeminent members assassinated that week).

Gnomes
>A quiet, humble little folk that dwell in the wilderness beyond the great Kingdoms of Men, farming and brewing and living the simple life. Gnomes would make good adventures (especially burglars); only, you've probably never seen one.

(cont'd)
>>
>>44240697

Ogres
>Green-skinned relatives of Men and Goblins, the Ogres ("Ûrkaz" in their own tongue) are nomads and hunters who dwell on the far northern tundras. Each Ogre clan is named after an animal totem. The Wolf and Bear clans are renowned for war; the Cat and Eagle clans for hunting; and the Serpent clan for its shamans.

Draugs
>In ancient times, Dark Powers managed to take some of the Fae of Light, the Huldré, and slay them and raise them again—as ghoulish quasi-undead. Draugs are these "Dark Fae". Like ghouls, they paralyze with a touch, but they themselves are paralyzed by sunlight and so avoid the daytime.

Goblins
>The dark equivalent of elves, Goblins are descended from Draugs. Dark Sorcery can create Goblin life from scratch, by digging these maggot-folk out of the Earth itself (using Elvish corpses as a sort of compost or catalyst); but there are also plenty of Goblins which have been born the usual way, from Draugish blood which has thinned over the centuries. The further removed a Goblin is from its bloodline's creation by dark magic, the less of a hold darkness has over its soul: put another way, the more ancestors a Goblin has, the more capable that Goblin is potentially learning to become good.

Imps
>Also called "hob-goblins", Imps are small relatives of goblins which have two main sub-races. Forest Imps live on the surface as barely-sapeient savages. Tunnel Imps dwell in the deep places of the world, in sprawing underground kingdoms that rival those of the Dwarves in technical sophistication.

Wosen
>The wood-wosen are the tree-folk. Legends say that they're good, that they helped the Kingdoms fight off darkness in the distant past, but in truth these mysterious beings have their own concerns and their own agenda.

(cont'd)
>>
File: kobold village at night.jpg (136 KB, 1280x665) Image search: [Google]
kobold village at night.jpg
136 KB, 1280x665
>>44240468
>Tanuki / Kitsune (continued)
The kingdom of Bujihawa are ruled by two mages that represent each race. Every two hundred years, whenever the king got old, there would be a festival held where wizards, sorcerers, and other types of arcane mages dueled against each other in non-lethal matches to see who would be the best candidate. However, tensions are starting to spark as the kitsune king seems to be not looking a decade older while the tanuki king only has a few more years for his rule. It is rumored among the two races that the kitsune king is artificially keeping his lifespan up to continue his rule.
>Kobold
Dragon-blooded creatures who live between the mountains north of a large currently unnamed desert. Kobold psionicists would often climb the mountains so they could meditate among the stars floating in the sky. However, dragons once again threaten their home after awakening the long-sleeping Dragon King Tiakos.
>Dark Elves
Xenophobic underground elves who prefer to be secluded in their homes. If they still existed. Forced to live above ground, away from the mushroom forests and drinkable spider venom, the high elves used their own ancestors against them by binding them to their bodies through the first acts of necromancy. They are avid worshippers of the god of life and death, Renviana. Although dark elf adventurers are aplenty, they are often too shady to enter towns.
(Yet more races.)
>>
>>44240709

Ettins
>In a past age of the world, the Jötuns, the stone-giants of old, cast down the Fire-Drakes that once ruled the world, before the Gods decreed that Men would then cast down the Jötuns. Now greatly diminished in size and power, the Ettins—the great Rock-Trolls—are the Stone-Giants' only remaining descendants.

Trolls
>Smaller Hill-Trolls are kin to Ettins, but corrupted by evil. Legend implies that they were actually created by Dark Powers from tainted soil mixed with dead Wood-Wosen, very much like Draugs and Goblins. Trolls are utterly evil, and sunlight petrifies them permanently.

Dragons
>Dragons come in two races: the red-scaled Fire-Drakes and the black-scaled Murk-Wyrms. The Fire-Drakes were the first race to rule the world; but for their arrogance, the Gods created the Jötuns to defeat and replace them. Murk-Wyrms were once Fire-Drakes, but they chose to serve the Darkness and so had their flames put out; now they can only breathe acidic spume. Just because Fire-Drakes aren't touched by Chaos, though, doesn't mean they're at all nice—even the best of dragons is a greedy, selfish, haughty monster. Good thing there aren't many of either variety left in the world.
>>
>>44240374
>>44240400
>>44240415
>>44240463
So. Thoughts?
>>
File: HexAin2007.jpg (76 KB, 639x717) Image search: [Google]
HexAin2007.jpg
76 KB, 639x717
Didn't know my limits with typing. I'll try posting more to allow for more posts.
>>44240729
>Lizardfolk (Name in progress)
Islanders who have been isolated for the last of history, they are curious about the cultures of other races. Recently, their own home was destroyed by dragons and they seek the companionship of their smaller brethren, kobolds. They prefer warm forests and swamps, but are only minorly discomforted by colder temperatures. Their god is the god of the sun, Zenkiir, and prefer to live in the lands where his warmth makes life prosper.
>Dwarves
One of the two races native to the material plane that are naturally talented in arcane magic.The dwarves are naturally born sorcerers, and the walls of their homes are carved in lines and patterns. They mean nothing except as a signature to the family who helped build the house. They like to find artistic value in the most unlikely of things, like a sword. Dwarven swords aren't stronger or any better than a sword from any other place, but the artistic beauty of it is extraordinary.
>Goblins
On the other hand are the goblins. They live in small tribal communities but are the best wizards in the known world. So why do they live in shitty huts? They only care about efficiency. Their food is often plain and filling, the houses lack color or decoration, and the beds are only comfortable enough to not fuck up your back. They do this so they can focus on their studies into arcane magic. A majority of the race, now more than ever, have picked up wizardry in order to help defend themselves of the undead armies coming from the many natural caverns in their northern environment. This has lead to the creation of rock golems, personal defenders of the goblin villages who help keep things in order, both inside and out.

Other races I have planned but not have fleshed out are bugbears, trolls, ogres, wood elves, ratfolk, catfolk, and possibly wolf people. I want to go for a high fantasy, Everquest-y feel with my setting.
>>
>>44229488
>I need races for my shitty homebrew, let me steal yours anon-kun!
>>
>>44241912
:)
>>
>>44231176
Finngolians
>>
>>44229488
It's a pretty normal world in one setting that I fleshed out, but I have no real races other than humans besides dragons. The dragons in my setting tho are rare to the point where their very existence are questioned. The reason as to why was them being hunted by large groups of non native settlers who took over nearby land. The dragons in the area naturally fought back, but they sheer numbers of the humans killed them, not to mention that some gained sickness and birth defects from further human influence, mostly in the shape of diseases that shouldn't otherwise be there until the settlers arrived. Most dragons died, with one using the aid of a gullible man to attempt dragon resurrection and human vengeance on behalf of their race, but was it unfortunately failed with said dragon being banished to the Plane Between Planes, and the man losing his soul depriving him of proper mortality. The dragons are highly intelligent, and capable of magic, and with their old age are full of wisdom and some may say all knowing. There are few still around, and their questioned existence lead to development of cults that worship and believe the idea of many dragons ruling over all(which has spread to the point of national acceptance), with each controlling specific things in the world to keep it in balance. This stems from the dragons being documented as having elemental affinity to some extent.

Should I go on? I-Is it good? I have other things I could talk about...P-Probably not
>>
File: ALL RIGHTY.png (83 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ALL RIGHTY.png
83 KB, 250x250
Let's see.

>Humans.
Original merfolk, but after the first war, both for them and like, ever, they were pushed off into the lads and there the evolution kicked in and turned them to what we're now. The twist is that they're actually combined into one huge country without all the segregations by color, facial structures etc.

>Merfolk.
The youngest race, dropped into the ocean, they look like a mix of fish with humanoid type of body. basically fullbody merman/mermaid, very aggressive and pushed humans out to land, still fighting both in a pirates vs merfolk fights.

>Orcs.
They can fly and walk on clouds as if they were solid. They live on clouds and are very tribal. They have usually blue/grey coloration of skin and are massive in size, They treat strength and wisdom of age as most important characteristic and can be led to believe that they're superior to everyone else, they once went as far as conquering almost entire land.

>Dwarfs.
Stocky beings that look like rocks, one of their arms is longer and they use it for mining; It can phase trough solid natural rock and sense the area around for precious metals or other general useful mining information. Stoic but stubborn, their grand dinners and parties are usually held in silence with what I can only describe as "Quiet but powerful" music.

>Elves.
Living trees, and I am not talking about the Guild Wars 2 gay salad people, only full on trees. The oldest of the races and biologically immortal as they age into infinity (I know that its not how trees work). The treat age as a symbol of power, the older you are the more important you are. The only race that actually still has anyone living from day 1 when the race was made. The Elder Tree is their leader and yadda yadda.

Elves were first to discover magic, orcs first to master it completely and the merfolk were first to figure out a way to write it down on something while dwarves found the ore that can cultivate magic inside of it, thus making runes that never end.
>>
>>44231109
This made me imagine of a setting where every major government is involved in a grand conspiracy to hide the horrifying truth that they're all in someone else's magical realm.
>>
>>44242610
seems pretty standard so far.

And, for the love of god, format your stuff. Ain't nobody gonna read HUMONGOUS FUCKING PARAGRAPHS.
>>
>>44242687
>they were pushed off into the lads
*Into land, jesus I need to pay more attention.
>>
Oh is it that time of the season again? Here, have a google doc.

https://sites.google.com/site/catheridgesetting/house-rules

>Setting does away with all the staple "tolkien" races in favor or more classic mythology references, with a few attempts at originality. Humans are still there, they orignated from the southern continent.
>Personal favorite are the Kanin, newest race in the setting, only about 250-ish years old. Denizens of a once human kingdom turned into teeny human-like anthro critters (rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc. Think Redwall) as a result of a "botched" mass Baleful Polymorph, spell was Mythic level and isn't easily undone. Kingdom is desperately looking for a cure. Believe it exists in the form of an ancient, enchanted currency from an ancient empire that supposedly grants a powerful wish should all the coins be gathered.
>No, I didn't steal it from Odin Sphere.
>It was INSPIRED by Odin Sphere there's a difference.
>Don't look at me like that.
>>
>>44242763
>tfw standard
And o-okay
>>
osyluth (bone devils) wear old British police hats.
>>
File: file.png (143 KB, 495x700) Image search: [Google]
file.png
143 KB, 495x700
It's been a while since I worked on my last homebrew world, and it never left the early planning stages, as the campaign it was supposed to be for never came to be. I'm on a bus right now, so I don't have my notes either.

The basic idea of the campaign was that the world would at some point always have a cataclysmic event, which would wipe out all civilizations, and let life begin "anew" from the survivors. The land was wiped clean and reformed, and the process would usually see a few new races come into being as well. The former world would be remembered only as myths and legends. Remarkable individuals from the end times had a chance to ascend into godhood, while gods who had receded into irrelevance ceased being.

>Robot guys
These guys are the only survivors of the last world, which they remember. When the end times came, those deemed important enough were sealed in vaults deep underground, where they had their souls transferred into mechanical bodies.
The vaults were set to open early into the new age, so that this advanced but small race could spring from their vaults with a huge technological advantage and become the dominant race in a new world. However, time itself breaks when the world is reset, so their calculations were off and they didn't wake up until late into the new world. They currently live in the frostbitten North.
Though they are no longer personally able to use magic, they can craft magic artefacts and have outstanding technology.
>>
File: file.png (407 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
file.png
407 KB, 400x533
>>44243051
Politically, they're split into city states, one for each vault, in a loose confederation. There's political turmoil between three factions, one that wants to return to the vaults to wait for another world, one who wants to "reclaim" their old empire through conquest, and on who prefers neutrality and trade. I wanted them to be vaguely Russian/Slavic, but I never got around to that.

>Humans
Most humans, but not all, live in a large inland empire under a "King of Kings" claiming divinity.
Humans are born into clans, and rarely mix outside them. Clans are tied to an area, which about 2/3 of the population living on farms and in cities, and 1/3 being nomads. In Human society, every clan is supposed to specialise into one skill, be it crafts or martial, and members of the clan are delegated around by the royal administration. There's strict social rules for who you marry and have kids with.
Most of the power ultimately lies with the administration. Clan politics make up most of the internal strife (which is constant), but the empire is fairly capable at protecting itself and it's borders.
Wealth and technology varies significantly from clan to clan. Decent but few mages.
They were generally going to have a somewhat Persian aesthetic.
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 744x1074) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 744x1074
>>44243072
>Spooky humans
Still Humans, but of an unknown origin far away from the main human kingdoms.
These guys have a small but growing population, and live in a tropical climate. They're fairly isolated, and technology is underdeveloped, but they're often very magically capable, and are opening up to the outside world.
The main feature about the society is however something else: no one dies. At least not of old age. For some reason, every person is born with "something" in them that makes it so that when they die, they're reanimated. "Dead" bodies are ritually stripped of flesh, and most live on as skeletons until their body is somehow destroyed.
Living people often use ritual skeletons tatoos, to enforce some sense of unity, and skeletons often carve and pain their bones. This "undeath" is seen as a completely normal part of life, and what we consider old age is rather some necessary middle point in life for these guys. Actually written before skeletons became the hottest new meme. Some Mexican influences, but otherwise going for a more native Mesoamerican feel.

I also had some not!Venetian Lizardfolk, but I don't remember much about them.
>>
>>44242818
Odin Sphere kicks ass so you're entirely in the clear, anon.
>>
File: 1443235694661.png (857 KB, 1028x582) Image search: [Google]
1443235694661.png
857 KB, 1028x582
Requesting that guy who invented a setting based entirely off of 70's and 80's prog-rock album covers. It sounded cool as shit.
>>
>>44243092
I originally made all my races by rolling on some random charts I wrote up. I had tables for magic/tech/commerce, civilisations, and fantasy/mythology races/cultures.
So, if I remember correctly, the Robot Guys were inspired by rolling:
>technology, Novgorod, Necrons
Humans:
>balanced, Sassanid Empire, some human culture
Spooky humans:
>magic, Aztecs, some human culture
Lizarfolk:
>commerce, Venetians, Argonians
I had more, but I can'r remember them.
>>
bumping for the races that were not commented on.
>>
>>44229488
Humans.

Elves with a tweest (they are greedy artisans with males having glorious beards and a great desire for alcohol).

Dwarves with a tweest ( they are clean shaven, generous but arrogant people who chose to live underground avoiding the dangers above and wish to mind their own business, they are also less welcoming of strangers but they love to hang out with elves).

Beastmen - human races that were changed by absorbing the souls of magic beasts (think Log Horizon in terms of looks) and have special abilities tied to them (enhanced senses, agility or strength).
>>
>>44240766
nothing?
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 365x229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 365x229
>>44245491
See >>44230749
It's not entirely true--some people do read them--but most people in the thread are just waiting around for people to respond to their stuff.

Your material is also split across four posts, which represents a significant effort investment for someone who's simply browsing. They can't just glance at it to see if they're interested, they have to go though all of it to find out if it's worth going through. And, given the first rule of /tg/--"your homebrew is shit"--they don't really have much incentive to do that.

In general, the best way to get people to pay attention is to provide a few tasty snippets, not the entire history of the species. Saitama's advice is relevant here, for precisely the same reason that he gives it to Genos: he doesn't care. The average /tg/ goer doesn't have any reason to care about the Great Wall of Dwarf-China or the fallen empire of dragonkin. Random setting details mean nothing to them. Instead, get at the concepts, social roles, and source materials of the races. Keep it as brief as possible, while also spicing it with details for people to ask questions about. And, as much as possible, try to describe them without any setting-based context so that people can actually engage with them directly without having to read anything other than that single race's blurb.
>>
>>44245491
>>44246041
For reference, these are some examples of exactly what NOT to do if you want feedback:

>>44242818
This one, while it looks reasonably condensed, is actually the opposite. It gives basically no details in its wall of text other than to say what it DOESN'T have. The one race that is described is covered almost entirely from a historical perspective, so we don't actually know anything about their role in the setting or what a character of the race might be like. All the actual information is behind an off-site link. If multiple posts is a significant investment for a browser, an off-site link is twice as much of one, especially when the site linked to is in a wiki format that requires yet more clicking around.

>>44239162
>>44239365
>>44239567
>>44239823
>>44239985
>>44240020
>>44240052
This guy. This fucking guy. That's five posts to describe the races, with two PDFs attached to them, followed by another two PDFs of even GREATER detail, before anyone had even asked to know more!

Now, this second guy does do some things right--he discusses what he's doing with dwarves and what kind of roles he expects some of the races to fill--but he bogs a lot of it down with unnecessary biological details and setting information. Nobody's going to read all that, but I promise you that he's still checking in on the thread every now and then, without looking at any of the other posts, just in case someone has something to say about his precious babies.
>>
>>44246230
Now you got me needy for attention.

>>44242687
how's this?
>>
Let's see:

>Aztec Kobolds (dog flavor, not reptile)
>Spanish Dwarves/Portuguese Halflings
>English Humans
>French Elves

I am not a creative man.
>>
>>44246422
Cut the first sentence on humans, condense the first three sentences on orcs, condense the first three sentences on dwarves, cut the segue on GW2 from the elves as well as the comment that you know that it isn't how trees work. The last summary paragraph is really solid, though.

As far as the actual content goes, not really my cup of tea. Orcs and dwarves seem arbitrarily supernaturally empowered, and I'm struggling to understand why you're calling your dryad race elves. The emphasis on age also seems to be duplicated across elves and orcs, with elves just having a distinct advantage that would presumably mean that orcs would never consider themselves superior to elves.

And that's not getting into the problems with an immortal-but-reproducing race. Or how poorly defined the dwarven ability to "phase through solid natural rock" is--what counts as "natural" rock? Just igneous, or also sedimentary? Where is the line between being "worked stone" and having been worn away by the feet of passing travelers? Some similar problems with the orcish ability to walk on clouds as if they were solid. What is the line between "cloud," "fog," "steam," and "warm breath on a cold day"? Do they fly by means of wings or just magical floating bullshit? If magical floating bullshit, why do they even need to be able to stand on clouds?
>>
Mine is a space-opera type setting not particularly "hard" Scifi, but not "space fantasy" either.

*note: names appearing in quotations are 'working names' not their actual names.

>Humans
If you've seen Firefly you've gotten the jist of their societies, there are some differences, but that's a good summary.

>"devil bunnies"
just a working name due to their specie's designs making them look like a hybrid of a basilisk (the lizard not the mythical creature) and a jackrabbit. The short summary is that they are "Mad Max in space".

>"Kepler"
Big-ass beasts built like tanks, and they can regenerate any lost limbs or head. Prefer to live underground and tend to be rather cowardly.

>Teknik
an alien species of trans-humanists, they turned themselves into robots a long time ago and got a massive ego for it. They are really full of themselves and always use the most high-tech solutions to problems even if it's not the most efficient.

>"Protist"
neither plant nor animal but having traits of both the "protist" were nomadic hunter-gatherers until an accidental encounter with a space-faring civilization got them the means of developing advanced technology of their own.

>"lemures"
a 4-armed primate-like creature with an additional prehensile tail. have a real "can-do" attitude about most things and love working on machines.

>Odjuat
actually a lost human colony, these people have been indoctrinated since birth (and sometimes even prenatally) to be militant war-mongers.
>>
>>44242687
>Stocky beings that look like rocks, one of their arms is longer and they use it for mining;
they sound like fiddler crabs.
CAN THEY BE SENTIENT FIDDLER CRABS!? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
>>
>>44246884
Alright. I see your problems.

For orcs: They do treat elves with respect actually, and definitely treat them as equal and try to be on good terms with them. The flying comes from actual wings, not magic bullshit like walking on clouds is.

The clouds are, obviously, required to be in rater huge mass, basically they need to be thick and in the sky, nothing else will do to walk on.

For dwarves, here's what I fucked up, just the arm can pass trough and nothing else. As for the rocks... That's a good question, need to work on that.

And for the dryad thing, that's the problem I can't work around, most of these races can be called harpy, dryad and golem instead of orc, elf and dwarf.

As for immortal elves; they still die of illness and such, so there's no overabundance of them.

And yeah, some can be overpowered. Though orcs have hollow bones so they're prone to broken limbs as an offset. And dorfs are slow.
>>
>>44246230
>That's five posts to describe the races, with two PDFs attached to them, followed by another two PDFs of even GREATER detail, before anyone had even asked to know more!
You raise a good point. Let me see if I can get all ten races summarized in one post. I might not be able to get quite to Saitama's twenty-word cap, but I'll try.
>>
High Fantasy, but magic is usually out of the reach of the common man (With the exception of sorcerers, who are feared and stigmatized). Tried to make it more realistic and in line with real world history

>Humans
Based mixing real world cultures, Most widespread race, Comes in a few flavors
>Altivan
Based Mainly on Byzantine Romans, but with English and French influences, Belong to a massive empire
>Icacian
Based on the Holy Roman Empire, and a bit off the Danish, Cold men of the north. Belong to the Icacian Confederacy, which started as away to counter the encroaching Altivan Empire
>Gai'ana
Based Mainly on Indian and Central African Cultures, Compared to other humans, they're somewhat primitive, but magically adept, they live mostly in city states and small kingdoms
>Kadiran
Mostly Iberia and Northern Africa, Very devout to the One god, Massive Empire that stretches across half the Continent, but most of it was scorched after the "Magus Wars" a few centuries back, now ALL magic is distrusted, most technologically advanced humans, Arqebuses and other primitive guns are common
>Others
There's more Human Cultures, but they're either insignifigant (the Aadu Tribes), or not relevant to where the core of the action is

>Elves (High)
Very advanced people that lived in flying cities, mostly wiped out during the Dragon War, there's one or two skycities around the main continent. They also do a whole lotta bio-engineering, Their streetlights are glowing fruit and all that.
>Elves (Dark)
After The Dragon wars some of the elven remainder left westward beyond kadiria, beyond the tainted desert, To the antedeluvian land of Nod. Corrupted by the Unholy Energies, they became twisted and cruel shadows of thier former glory.

>Dragonborne
Once owning a large Empire that spanned 1-1/2 continents, the dragon Empire fell with the combined might of the Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and Beastmen; and they were also smote by the gods for their hubris. (Cont)
>>
>>44246507
I tried to do this with my first world. had mayan halflings, comanche orcs, aztec goblins, and spanish drow all in the same general area.

A lot of it fit easily enough, but I realized it was hard to make players see your own version of those races when they have their own ideas of what those races should be. Even harder when they make a stereotypical halfling and dont fit in with the setting at all. that's why i ended up making my own races and just writing a paragraph or two about them, works a lot better for making PCs fit into the world.
>>
File: image.png (5 MB, 2291x2291) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5 MB, 2291x2291
>>Sarkian Races
The races native to the central world.

>Dwarves
Common themes of insular empires and timeless knowledge led to a more Imperial China take. They focus on the wisdom of ancient teachings, alchemy, and a powerful sense of justice.

>Humans
Rather than the generic everyman, humans are played up as diplomatic and group-oriented. Ethnically, a mix of African and Hispanic. They focus on ancestry, family ties, and unity.

>Kinnaris
Bird people that draw visual elements from corvids and bearded vultures. May or may not be capable of true flight. Value freedom, but not at the cost of peace and tranquility.

>Kitsune
Foxes with natural shapeshifting abilities that let them take humanoid forms. Value knowledge above all else, and often enjoy playing tricks on others—both humorous and cruel.

>Kobolds
Small reptilian humanoids with a knack for quick and quiet movement. They place great value on pride and ambition, and view self-improvement as one of the noblest pursuits.

>Orcs
Large humanoids that may have tusks and apelike proportions. Focus heavily on tradition and the past, greatly value honor, but are also ruthless when they believe it justified.

>>Stoichen Races
The races originally native to the elemental worlds.

>Ehekatl
Air race. May have flying-squirrel-like membranes for gliding. They think that people have to look out for themselves, and that it is best to do what feels right and natural.

>Ohanya
Large deer-and-antelope satyrs with manes of fire and dark skin with red tracery. Highly associated with the creative aspects of fire, they are also very curious and exploratory.

>Surai
Aquatic crocodilian marsupials with “third eye” electroreceptors and water-filled anglerfish-like tendrils. Emphasize rationality and the idea of continued development through life.

>Yanren
Small, stocky, and wooly humanoids with plants growing in their wool and earthen skin. Focus on preservation and slow change, but accept death as a part of the natural cycle.
>>
>>44248250
>Dragonborne (2/2)
They were the Eponymous adversary in the Dragon wars, and are still despised by most Homid Races. They are split into three subraces:
1) Parvulus, pretty much (dragon type) Kobolds physically, and attend to the farming, accounting, Scribing, Brewing, ect.
2)Terranus, (Mostly the Dragonborne in the 5e PHB) are the most physically fit amongst the castes, and are warriors, blacksmiths, masons, ect
3) Illumitan, With Wings (Ironic considering they're more based on eastern dragons) and magic they are administrators, entrepreneurs, and Mages of the Dragonborne, 40 of the 43 Dragon Emperors were Illumitan
Dragonborne are kinda asthetically based on the Ming Chinese, and Early Roman Empires. And they created most of the Beastmen that Roam the world today

>Tauros
Bull-Men created by the dragonborne to be better farming stock than normal human slaves, they are stronger, and more subserviant than their predecessors. But they are subject to a strange mental condition known as the 'Red Rage', if one gets too emotional, they may go 'feral', possibly forever. They come in two main flavors
>Minotaur
The majority of Tauros after the Dragon wars followed a leader named minos, long story short He was martyred, and they wandered for a while Tand built settlements on the outskirts of the Altivan Empire, forming a nation after the destruction of the last Dynasty. they believe that excessive pleasure leads to an emptiness that can never be filled, and as such have very totalitarian, utilitarian, and communistic ideals. One right of passage is to leave a Minotaur on the Cusp of Adulthood in the center of a labyrinth as a way to temper the Red Rage, not all of them make it out.
>Doreen Tauros
The Tauros who left the Stringent minotaur collective, not really a unified culture but are treated as one. When most humans think of Minotaur, they actually think of Doreen Tauros. The Red Rage is very dangerous to them.

>Dwarves
Advanced Midgets who live down
>>
>>44248553
That looks like one of the fire guys getting nagged by his girlfriend for paying too much attention to the thingy instead of her
>>
>>44248855
Maybe he wouldn't have to if she would pay more attention to his thingy instead of herself.
>>
>>44248553
See, now we're getting somewhere. Short and to the point.

I like what you did with dwarves. No mention of beer, gold, or axes, but if you push the imposing empire and guarded alchemical secrets in the right way, it really does hit on a lot of the same dwarfish notes without just being the same thing as the norm. This is how reinterpretations of races ought to be done--by preserving a lot of the core feel while still changing the context.

Humans, kitsune, kobolds, and orcs seem fairly standard. Haven't seen many settings with birdfolk, but see one every now and then. The idea of them not being capable of flight is...intriguing, I guess? My question then would be "why are they birds?"

The elementals are a nice break from the usual man/woman made of air/earth/fire/water, and I'm assuming from your description that the picture is of a surai and an ohanya. Pretty neat designs.
>>
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 1000x954) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 1000x954
>mfw al my playgroup has disperse now we have families and live in different countries
>I'll never play my race of mask wearing gorgon artisans
>or reverse dutch mermaids
>or ferret people
>etc
Play with your bros for as long as you can, my friends. You never know when life will make it impossible.
>>
>>44249237
>reverse dutch mermaids
How does that even work?
>>
>>44229488
Aside from humans who are basically ubermensch depending on their origin.

>Klevakians
Tall, slender and virtually frictionless, these lizard people are known for their architecture, sword play and love for geo-politics. Standing 6' on average, the klevakians pose physical proves more geared towards quick movements and their prehensile tail than raw strength. Although they look sophisticated klevakians are generally dumber than their culture would give out as they are still leaning towards feral tendencies.

>Trolls
Standing well over 8' trolls are masses of muscle come to life. Preferring cold regions and high mountains, trolls are known for their high quality metal and metallurgy, but less for their fine arts, for seldom does a troll need a blade when they can crush their opposition with slabs of metal at the end of a small shaft. Living in "Forge Citadels" as they call them, trolls have a pale and gray complexion and stubby little legs which are dwarfed by their arms almost the length of their own bodies. Even though massive in size, terrifying in looks and preferring mace diplomacy, they are not some berserking monsters from the deepest depths of hell.

>Rusoks
The bear people Rusoks have long claws on their fingers, making handling some items quite hard. And since long in their culture the claws have the sign of strong individuals, instead of trying to circumvent the problem with specialized weaponry, they opt to boost their natural weapons: Hand-to-Hand martial arts and wrist/should mounter weaponry. Normally calm, the Rusoks can enter a bloodrage where they lose all reason. They are also adepts at natural magic especially rain based rituals.(I wasn't even thinking about pandaren or Kung Fu panda when i made these guys, i swear).
>>
>>44249335
They are short, nice, not-racist and you can understand clearly what they say.
>>
File: image.png (6 MB, 894x2047) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 MB, 894x2047
>>44248855
>>44249071
Actually, the suros in that image is male and the ohen is female. Pic is what a male ohen looks like--significantly less pronounced horns. Also a bit shorter, but the pic doesn't show that. The dimorphism of surai is a bit harder to show, since it has to do with how many tendrils are on the tail and how broad the shoulders and hips are. Men have broader shoulders and hips, women have more tail tendrils.

The picture with the two of them was actually originally two different pieces that I combined to show the difference in height. Ohanya tend to be about two feet taller than surai, with females at 7'2" and males at 6'9".

>>44249100
Yeah, I'm actually really happy with the dwarves. As much as possible, I'm trying to actually make races feel like they should while also exploring different interpretations of their traits. I've never liked "my dwarves don't have beards and have pointy ears and live in the forests" because it feels too much like trying to make them different without putting any emphasis on making them dwarves.
>>
>>44249388
>Racist.
Ah, so reverse-dutch, and also mermaid.
Still got the whole living underwater thing going on though.
>>
>>44249335
Essentially, they recover "land". These mermaids cannot survive the deep ocean and need to stick to waters that aren't deeper than a fee tens of meters. This means they must use the coastlines as habitable zones, which are of course not all thst big. So, in order to expand, they proceed to dig away at coast lines, creating large lagoons where they can live at the right depth, at the same time they throw the extra dirt on the other direction to expand it that way. This, of course, causes problems with the land dwellers and the deep sea dwellers.
>>
>>44249487
"The Big Bad stands up from his throne, still petting the raptor as he explains how even as you confront him, he still wins."
>>
>>44249578
Looks like he pet that raptor a bit too hard.
>>
File: image.jpg (353 KB, 2505x2186) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
353 KB, 2505x2186
>>44249578
>>44249590
Druidy-paladin type, actually, coddling a chick that was abused by poachers.

That said, these recontextualizations are hilarious. Have a female suros that hasn't been shaded yet.
>>
File: British-Automatic-Soldier.jpg (24 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
British-Automatic-Soldier.jpg
24 KB, 720x540
Wild Western fantasy that I yammer about in various threads, set in the wake of a vicious invasion of an agrarian theocracy by a fascist magocracy with all of the games in the setting taking place in the West, a continent across the sea that the theocracy's leadership and clergy were shipped off to before the magocracy decided to colonize it for resources. Humans are by far the most populous race, and there a number of different nations back East. Aside from humans, though, you've got a few from the East and a few from the West.

From the East:
>Dragonborn
The ruling elite of the city-states of Marifah, they are actually humans by birth but are transformed by a series of tests and rituals kept secret, passed down the generations from the Dragons themselves. They serve as Marifah's rulers, generals, and knights, though typically only the firstborn son is allowed to perform the necessary rites.

>Dwarves
Hill dwarves and mountain dwarves. Same old story with them having been created by giants as servants before the First Dwarf broke free and crafted children to fight with him. Ancestor-worship is common among both, while mountain dwarves are insular and live more or less as ever-vigilant wardens over the prisons that contain the Primordials and war against the remnants of the giants. Hill dwarves act as a bit of a buffer between mountain dwarves and the rest of the world, far more common to see and are hard-working, hard-drinking tradesmen and merchants.

>Peacekeepers
Also called warforged, they're the magitech soldiers created by the magocracy of Carska during the recent war. Several different models exist that serve various purposes, but as of yet, there are none with true sapience. At least, on record. Use docents which basically contain their programming, differentiating scouts from soldiers from manual labor. Originally strictly a military technology, they are also entering into the private sector (cont'd)
>>
File: image.png (309 KB, 416x570) Image search: [Google]
image.png
309 KB, 416x570
>>44249685
>Druidy-paladin type, actually, coddling a chick that was abused by poachers.
You cheeky motherfucker. I knew something about it seemed familiar.
>>
File: Chiroptera Therianthrope.jpg (69 KB, 600x959) Image search: [Google]
Chiroptera Therianthrope.jpg
69 KB, 600x959
>>44249751
>Peacekeepers, cont'd
and have begun to push out untrained human workers, causing increased strife back home and adding to the reasons that poor Carskans are flocking from their toxic, polluted sprawls to the rumors of clean air, clean water, and open land in the West.

>Therianthropes
Not really a race, but rather the result of Carskan experimentation during the war performed by the College of Medicine in the attempt to create the perfect biological weapon. Originally unwitting sleeper agents, they were PoWs that were forced through some really horrific magical experimentation that placed a second being within them. Upon hearing a trigger word, the beast within would emerge, ripping apart the flesh of the host to release the monster upon whatever soft target it was currently in. Later experiments allowed for more control of the transformation and the ability to revert to a human persona.

From the West:

All of the races of the West are actually from the same ancestral stock of Fey. There are two major branches, however, elves and goblinoids.Though even these have further divisions. At their root, however, all natives share a few things in common.
>Pointed elves
>Ageless bodies - Upon reaching maturity, the body simply ceases to age. A hard life in a rugged landscape will often show in the form of creases and tanned skin, though their eyes are always sharp and bright.
>Mortal minds - While the body of a native may be timeless, their minds are not. The strain and burden of lifetimes of memories, regrets, and losses will often cause a mental break as an elf becomes truly advanced in the years. When it happens varies from chief to chief, but it is common to occur after 400 to 500 years.
>The Lure of a Fable (cont'd)
>>
File: Mohingan Shaman.jpg (78 KB, 479x900) Image search: [Google]
Mohingan Shaman.jpg
78 KB, 479x900
>>44249867
>The lure of a Fable - When a chief does crack, his connection to the spirits and the primal magic that suffuses the West opens wide and he forms a powerful bond with an idea or story. Called a Fable, it becomes the focus of his life and quickly begins to warp the surrounding landscape, his body, and his tribe into a setting and actors capable of ensuring the story continue indefinitely.

From there, there are five major groups of Natives that are active in the region, with a sixth that most just believe to be a tall tale.

>People of the Owl make their homes in the woodlands of the West, from the verdant forests on the rolling hills of Bainiter to the stands of pines along the Great Stony Mountains. Settling down to a forest region, they construct homes that seem to be made from the living branches of trees, woven into the longhouses, arbors, and catwalks. Owls build in such harmony with the forest travelers often fail to notice they have entered an elven community until it is too late. Less war-like than their cousins, Owls are known to produce powerful sages and story-tellers.

>People of the Lizard are mostly found in Sonaugh, though they roam wherever the herds they follow lead them. Lizard-riding nomads, they rarely see fit to their themselves down to any single location, and their free-spirited nature often leads to conflicts with the Carskan Territorial Authority. Living in hide-bound tepees that move when they do, they travel light and free across the plains and badlands.
>>
>>44249685
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTy9v9a7Tmo
>>
File: Arikara Scout.jpg (111 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
Arikara Scout.jpg
111 KB, 620x877
>>44249925
The People of the Wolf are mostly found along the Great Stony Mountains, ranging from the snowy peak to the pine-covered hills and along shores of mountain lakes. Semi-nomadic, they move seasonally to different hunting and fishing camps. Hunters, fishers, and trappers, they live wigwams that are quickly built as tribes settle into a new hunting camp. Communities are close-knit and fiercely protective. Commonly content to ignore the settlers of Sonaugh, rough winters and other times of need often see Wolves eyeing the settlers as easy raiding targets.

Rumors persist about the People of the Spider, though no elf has ever spoken to their existence. Rumored to live in a vast, sprawling empire beneath the ground, they are said to have milky, translucent skin and hair as white as milk. Unproven to even exist, they are widely considered to simply be a tall tale used to explain away the actions of the People of the Rat.

>And of Goblinoids...

The People of the Boar are a group that primarily live in the Bloodied Plains and sections of Sonaugh. Giving more attention to strength and ferocity, their allow their strongest member to lead which is often tested in savage duels between the reigning leader and any cocky upstart brave enough to risk their life for the chance to lead. Fierce raiders, they've quickly learned the wealth and joy to be had raiding Carskan trains and remain a constant threat to commerce and transit through the region. Their name comes from the sharp tusks that jut from their lower lips, ensuring that they are always armed. Villages tend to be an unorganized sprawl of huts, with ceremonial structures and the homes of chiefs and powerful braves being dug out of hills.
>>
File: Map (1).jpg (883 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Map (1).jpg
883 KB, 1024x768
>>44249960
The People of the Rat are in many ways the opposites to their cousins, the Boars. Focusing on cunning and wits, their raids are far less frequent and often much better planned. Good planning for a goblinoid isn't much to boast for, though, and they remain more of a nuisance than an actual threat. Living in and around canyons and gorges, they are at home in the darkness and underground from which they send out small raiding parties to sneakily steal what they might need to survive. Mostly made up of goblins, they are easily distinguished by the large incisors that lent them their name.

And that's it, for the most part.
>>
>>44249685
>"Oh, bother, I seem to have lost my head."
>"Silly ol' bear."
>Eeyore sighs and says nothing, for he has been aware of the grim inevitability of death for as long as he can remember.
>>
>>44249685
...is that Winnie the Pooh?
>>
File: image.jpg (416 KB, 2411x2036) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
416 KB, 2411x2036
>>44249947
...well, that was unintentional. Not sure how I missed it.

>>44249985
>>44249997
I. Well. That was even less intentional. The actual idea is that it's a skin molded and preserved in amber that's treated with various alchemical processes to actually make it into a vaguely decent armor and to prevent it taking on too much water when she's swimming, but I can't unsee that now.

Another female ohen. This one shows off a bit more of her curves, so hopefully less likely to be misgendered.
>>
>>44229488
Humans
>>
I guess this would be the thread to ask in.

So along with all the familiar races I'm trying to put in a couple unique ones into my world, even if they just idle in the background and noone ever plays them.

I've based a couple of them off of some I read in pdf (it may have been more than one) like a year ago. But I cannot find it again.

The races I recalled reading about were
>a race made material light
>a race so closely tied with ghosts that they have to concentrate inorder to act with the physical world
>halfling(or gnome)/fairy cross breed that could change size.
>half-nymph

There were more but those are the ones I remember. I'm hoping some kind anon may know of them so I can shamelessly steal them properly.

Other ones I'm puttin in
>Minoans, from that world building thread a year ago
>humanoid oozes in the not-underdark
>Alitruan, child like humanoid fey (think Kokoris)
>>
>>44250422
"Look at me, I'm burning money! Fuck capitalism!"
>>
>>44250422
You're right, she does show off more of her curves. If you ask me, she's pretty hot
>>
>>44240166
Thanks mang, I appreciate it

>>44238284
Give them antlers. Antlers are fucking cool.

>>44246041
Seriously this. I'm tryna skim this shit to steal ideas and add them to my homebrew and some of you fuckers are trying to write a god damn world history book about your setting.

Also how do some of you guys rationalize so many wildly different races co-existing in what appears to be extremely close proximity? I dunno about you guys but I feel like more than a few genocides should've occurred already reading through some these homebrews that have a fuck ton races.
>>
>>44250422
Just out of curiosity; what gender is the Suros from >>44239823? Male?
>>
File: MR BONES.jpg (65 KB, 367x306) Image search: [Google]
MR BONES.jpg
65 KB, 367x306
>>44251076
>>
>>44250610
>Hi Carlos
>>
>>44251076
>Antlers are fucking cool.
So fucking this. If there's one thing Lorwyn proves, it's that elves with antlers are fucking rad.
>>
>>44249925
Huh, elves turn into Antediluvian Vampires when they become ancient. I like it, guessing there social customs regarding ritual suicide among some of the tribes? Seems like the Boar end up killing themselves cyclically to prevent one from ever becoming that old.
>>
File: image.png (5 MB, 1952x2239) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5 MB, 1952x2239
>>44250480
...and she's even from the region influenced vaguely by Russia. Damn.

>>44250610
Carlos, you rat-bastard.

>>44251081
Female. I'm honestly intrigued that so many people misgender the surai. They just look like the appropriate gender to me, but that's apparently just because I'm in so deep that I consider Balrogs to be unnecessarily close to the surface.

This, incidentally, is another male suros.

>>44251076
>Also how do some of you guys rationalize so many wildly different races co-existing in what appears to be extremely close proximity? I dunno about you guys but I feel like more than a few genocides should've occurred already reading through some these homebrews that have a fuck ton races.
Well, almost half of my races are immigrants from the four Elemental Primes, rather than being native to the Central Material, so you'd think that takes care of some of the burden. But that's actually just an extrapolation of a concept that can be applied just as easily on a single world: have them originate from different regions. Why do tigers, lions, and bears all exist? Why haven't the cats genocided the bears? Geographical distance can account for how they arose separately, as can different niches: dwarves living underground means that they're not going to compete with humans as much as they might otherwise. And so on.

Now, bringing them together is another trick. Either you have the societies be enlightened enough that they don't immediately kill one another, you have serious fantasy racism, or you come up with some kind of excuse. I, for instance, have a world-shattering catastrophe about a thousand years in the past of my setting. People had to put aside their differences and band together just to prevent the world from completely collapsing, then to survive in the aftermath, and then...until it was so normal for them that they didn't question it any more.

That's not to say that genocide should never be used, either. Extinct races are great.
>>
Not many races atm but fuck it im doing this
>Humans
Typical fantasy-medieval humans with the exception that vampires are not only common but also welcome beacause they are chosen of the God. And some other shit I dont want to list
>Lizardfolk (name not yet finished)
From froglike to crocodilelike kind of creatures. They have next to no civilisation,their language is pretty basic and any art is no existant. No one knows where they came from,their only reason to live seems to be to reproduce and to destroy and human civilisation
.They are also said to do dark rituals and eat children,like any evil race
>Elves
Slender,slim,pale,beatiful and perfect creatures. Too perfect.
Well except from the fact that their eyes are shining with Sunlight. Really bright. One look upon an elf face can make man blind,when elf gazes upon you long enough you may even burn. Nobody knows who the fuck they are,how the fuck are they communicating or even how they feed and reproduce.
They live in a huge machine,a legacy of a civilisation long lost ago,but they dont seem to understand this. They sometimes raid areas of other races burning everything to the ground and returning to their machine before anyone else can react.
They are also said to eat children,or to change human boys to elves.
>Treefolk
Not really a race,just walking trees inhabited by souls of druids so powerfull they refused to leave this world. They are rare as fuck,when they are sleeping they look like normal trees.
When they wake up however,the ground trembles and everything unnatural in large radius is destroyed.
Have I mentioned that druids are not your friendly hippy but canibalistic nature freaks that sacrifice people to save dead parts of the forest?
Having one this old is powerfull is bad news
>>
>>44251367
>ritual suicide
Yup. In fact, the current BBEG that the party is working against exists only because her son refused to kill her personally, and instead left her for dead in the mountains because he lacked the will to finish the deed.

And yeah, first gen vampires from oWoD are a pretty fair example, along with the True Fey. Basically, you're standard horrible eldritch monster, except this time focused around a central story that they warp reality around them to work as the stage and actors.
>>
>>44251420
He looks like he should have a fake eye. Made of gold. And be fond of adding "-boy" to people's names when talking to them.
>>
File: lolelf.jpg (45 KB, 640x414) Image search: [Google]
lolelf.jpg
45 KB, 640x414
Orcs: +2 Str, -2 Int, Darkvision, Light sensitivity, bonus skills (as humans), +2 saves vs Disease, +2 Intimidate, +2 Survival, +3 bonus when charging (instead of +2), +1 attacks/skill and ability checks/AC/saves when below 50% hp
Chaotic Neutral

Elves: +2 Dex, -2 Con, 35ft speed, low-light vision, Immune to Sleep, +2 saves vs Enchantment, Detect Secret Doors, Ignore 20% of enemy concealment, lessen range penalties by 2, proficient with longswords/rapiers/shortbows/longbows, if they are (or become) proficient with any of these from a class they instead gain a +1 racial bonus to attacks with them, +2 listen/search/spot, +2 craft with wood, light sleepers (only -2 penalty when sleeping, 4 hours of trance)
Chaotic Good

Dwarves: +2 Con, -2 Dex, 20ft speed, Darkvision, Light Sensitivity, Armored Ease, Stonecunning, Stability, +2 saves vs poison and spells, +2 craft with stone and metal, treat mauls as martial weapons, warhammers and light hammers as simple (can choose picks instead), +1 attacks vs goblins, +2 damage vs orcs, +4 dodge bonus to AC vs giants
Lawful Good

Gnomes: +2 Int, -2 Wis, Small, 20ft speed, low-light vision, detect illusions (automatically gets a save to disbelieve an illusion as if studying it if they come within 10ft of one), +2 saves vs illusion, +1 DC or CL with illusion spells, +2 craft alchemy, +2 open lock, treat light repeating crossbows as simple, heavy as martial, +1 attacks vs reptilian humanoids and goblins, +4 dodge bonus to AC vs giants
Neutral Good

Hobbits: +2 Wis, -2 Str, Small, 20ft speed, +1 racial bonus to saves, +1 attacks with thrown weapons and slings, +2 concentration, a hobbit that consumes twice as much food as required for the day gains a +1 morale bonus to all ability checks, all hobbits treat hide/listen/move silently/spot as class skills and gain 2 extra skill points per level (8 at 1st) to spend on those skills only
Lawful Neutral
>>
File: 1449322827569.jpg (37 KB, 736x1055) Image search: [Google]
1449322827569.jpg
37 KB, 736x1055
>>44251630
Humans: as PHB
Neutral

Kobolds: +2 Cha, Small, 20ft speed, Low-light Vision, +1 natural armor (can take improved natural armor, but only at level one), secondary bite (1d3), poison use, +2 craft poison & traps, +2 escape artist, +2 search, +2 disable device, trap sense +1 (stacks), treat nets as martial wepaons, +2 saves vs necromancy/death effects, +1 DC or CL with necromancy spells
Lawful Evil

Goblins: Small, 30ft speed, Darkvision, Light Sensitivity, +2 hide/move silently/listen (big pointy ears), +2 saves vs disease, +3 when flanking or aiding another (instead of +2), +1 damage per attack if the target is currently vulnerable to sneak attack damage, +1 dodge bonus to AC
Neutral Evil

Saurians: +2 Con, -2 Cha, +1 natural armor (can take improved natural armor, but only at level one), 2 claws (1d3), 1 secondary bite (1d4), hold breath (as lizardfolk), +2 balance/swim (from their tail), +2 climb (from their claws)
Chaotic Evil
basically lizardfolk, but not as bulky, and not limited to swamps and marshes
>>
File: vietkob.jpg (200 KB, 800x925) Image search: [Google]
vietkob.jpg
200 KB, 800x925
On the west coast north america there are

>Homo Sapiens
You are one, you probably know these well enough. Often posses mutations however. Strange skin tones, claws and the like aren't astoundingly rare
>Homo Orgus
9 foot tall, pale blue or green, and usually horned, they live in decentralized clans of several thousand in the hills of Cascadia. The Spokan and Bois live on the edge of the Yellowstone Ashwaste, hunting the Ash Beasts and killing eath other. The Colombians and and Oreg live in the Cascades. The Oregonor live around Seattle. Generally speaking they are fairly agreeable folk, with the Ash clans being a touch Xenophobic. Notably some one in a hundred are born with 2 heads and grow to 11 or 12 feet tall. Called Ettin they tend to be exceedingly strong and are talented diviners. Also terribly insane.
>Diatomus Animus
Fairly Sapient, Fairly humanoid algal colonies, Having no culture of their own they tend to latch onto and aid human settlements along the Strait of California. In their endeavor to be accepted by Humans they fashion masks that can only be called exceedingly disturbing, but they are generally quite friendly despite their attempts to fit in placing them firmly in the uncanny valley. Due to their amphibious nature they tend to work as marine salvagers, harvesting scarp and old tech from the sunken cities in the strait.
>Phrynoso Bipedali
The decedents of various lizard species in and around Nevada who were exposed to heavy doses of the Lunar gate event's fallout. Have become humanoid and are advancing technologically, living from the southern tip of the Strait of California to the forests of Cascadia. Are either xenophobic marsh tribes along the south end of the Strait, maundering tribes who often war with the Ogres in the Ash waste, or steppe tribesman who either heard bison or farm insects. Practice rudimentary arcane arts, with an inclination towards necromancy, particularly the invocation of ancestor spirits. Pic related.
>>
File: Firetron.jpg (47 KB, 426x750) Image search: [Google]
Firetron.jpg
47 KB, 426x750
>>44251844
>Homo Cali
Degenerate natives of the Isle of California. Have a serious case of the Innsmouth look, being fish like, hunched, 4'6" human like creatures. The majority despise Humans as "Usurpers" as the isle has in recent decades been the subject of colonization efforts by both the Cascadian Republic and Theocracy of Deseret, though some number of them have been enslaved or assimilated into human culture, forming a solid underclass of labor, fishery, and salvage in the hills, marshes and ruins of California.
>Aduenam Nomen
Entities from beyond the Gate that, having arrived in our dimension have been changed fundamentally by the drastically separate laws of our Universe. Although as juveniles they all tend to look like diminutive impish creatures, as they age and acquire "names" a concept they aren't able to fully articulate to humans, the begin to diverge with astronomical variety, having almost no end to the diversity of forms and personalities among them, the only overarching theme being a serious susceptibility and affinity to the arcane. Large groups of them live in human cities, and the rest wander solitarily or with convoys.
>Various Automatons
Either manufactured recently through refurbished tech in the greatest of cities, salvaged and rebooted, or even surviving from the old world, albeit with some literal and figurative screws loose, automatons exist in many forms and walks of life. Generally though, they tend to be designed for a limited field of work, with the majority being either military, labor, or fabrication specialized.
>>
I go with a theme I like a lot in my games. Almost every "humanoid" race is human, there just happens to be a lot of true-ish-breeding magical mutation. A person having horns, a tail, or being halfling size is noticed similarly to how we'd think of someone having freckles or nappy hair.

To the north are the Ochrana, who have grayish skin and tend to be tall and sturdy in build. A couple of common ochrana traits (kind of like how red hair is a common Scottish trait), are bull like horns and gigantism (a magical variety that tends to be much healthier than the pituitary problem kind).

A lot of the central continent is occupied by Aestralish, a medium height, medium-brown skinned people that can occasionally have eyes that literally glow in the dark, or skin with swirling blue-black patterns.

The feohinn are a pale, slender people that occupy beautiful coastal, forest, and mountain citadels around one side of the central sea. The pri'feohinn have pastel hair and eyes that usually match. The stoc'feohinn are darker, tend to have long arms, and many have animal-like eyes, and/or hair that grows in patterns similar to an animal's pelt. The ard'feohinn are taller, and often have metallic hair and eyes.

Humans go on for a bit like that.

For the supernatural races, I try to go a little bit back to roots for the things I use monster names for.

The main type of non-human humanoid are the kythonie, earth bound spirits. Basically, a spiritual being that is tied to the world via a magically conjured body (being magically conjured, it's basically solidified ectoplasm, and anything that dispels a conjuration, like special iron or lead, will dissolve their body). They're all naturally magical, and so tend to live in magical domains, little folds of space like miniature parallel dimensions. Fairies, giants, goblins, centaurs, almost all are different kinds of kythonie.
>>
>>44252317
Because of the nature of their being bound to the world, kythonie still have many "mortal" needs (food, sleep, need to recover normally from injuries, etc), and will usually be dissolved by the destruction of their bodies.

"Demons" refers to most non-earth-bound spirits that nevertheless still interact with the world. Destroying the "body" of a demon just means its spirit flees somewhere to regrow it.

Orcs, meanwhile, are a type of naturally occurring ferocious undead.
>>
>>44229488
World used to be rather default humans, elves, dwarfs and monsters world
At some point a madder than usual wizard was like "chimeras are really awesome, I should make new ones from humans"
So he fused everything he could with humans
Some experiments simply died, some became monstrous abominations but most importantly many of these experiments became the ancestors of new races
Minotaurs, harpies, centaurs, driders and whatever else basically slaps half a human on half an animal are now common sights and often life together with humans, although still as minorities and outsiders in human society
>>
>>44251420
>In so deep Balrogs are unnecessarily close to the surface

Yeah, that seems to be part of it. I think my issue is that, of the preceding pictures, the Surai have been fairly similar. This is the first one (at least to me) where the subject has been obviously male. Or I'm just fucking blind.
>>
>>44252317
Since I liked writing about it I'll mention a little more. I forgot to mention, while oxrana (I'd forgotten that I updated the morphology rules for this setting and wanted to use 'x' for the hard hocking sound everywhere) have round or slightly pointed ears, the aestralish always have rounded ones, and the feohinn range from leaf to blade eared depending.

Aixmatas: short, 4' tall on average; mostly pale; upswept ears. Some of them have cat eyes and retractable claws instead of fingernails. More rarely, some have either silver metallic patches all over, or a faint metallic cast to their skin. Many of these latter can learn a natural magic that makes their skin entirely metallic. Most are part of a war-like, semi-feudal culture.

The chidonshae; often shortened to just shae, which is considered derogatory: a people with a distribution of animal like features. No muzzles, but rhinariums, animal ears, fur, tails, and sometimes animal paws or hooves. Once several distinct tribal groups, being conquered caused a lot of mixing. A thousand years ago these people were constantly at war with the oxrana, before the terrai (a now destroyed nation) conquered them and made them a slave people. The terrai dragged the chidoneshae across most of the world, where their use as shock troopers and guards made them reviled, a reputation they have yet to recover from. There are a handful of places where it's still legal to keep chidonshae as slaves.

The only real exception are the zoltah, a clan that emerged with true-breeding fish or cetacean like features, they've used their ability to use deep under water trade routes to become, if not respected, wealthy, which is the next best thing.

Sahelon: dark-skinned southerners that thrive on the coast of a great wasteland, these people often have red or black sclera, and small tooth like protrusions that form crests on their heads, backs, and arms.
>>
File: 1418872826631.jpg (119 KB, 715x993) Image search: [Google]
1418872826631.jpg
119 KB, 715x993
>>44251844
>>44251862
I want a creepy goo girl waifu.
>>
File: aIdBawf.png (133 KB, 1075x351) Image search: [Google]
aIdBawf.png
133 KB, 1075x351
Well, in general, there are some few major races.
The world is pretty fractured and the most of the races came from abyss.

>Humans
Mostly for their historical significance. They once had a mighty empire in the south-western continent. In fact, humans were the most magically inclined species.
However, a calamity happened thanks to magic circle of jerks, which ended up stripping them of their magic. Their bodies did not react to this well either, and their numbers diminished over decade. They never really recovered, even to this day.

>Draconians
Peculiarly enough an artificial species created by tinkering of a notorious human thaumaturge. They inherit some obvious traits from dragon, as powerful affinity with magic and fire-breathing. While rather populous, their presence is mostly limited to west continent.

>Caowe
Rather resilient folk with short coarse fur and flappy ears, and rather visible nostrils.
Good ol' pals of humanity, one of the only non-human species that were allowed in the holy cities of man. About the most populous species on western continent ( north ).

>Desw
A bunch of weird lizards with caste system based on gender-morphs. They have quite long history, but they became a really major power after the fall of humanity, since lot of the migrants from west brought their thaumaturgic knowledge with them.

>Slaud
Bunch of slug-things from south island-chains and the Expanse. They have very robust immune-systems, which allow them to live in the necrotic-gas spewing jungles. They also have extremely keen senses compared to other species, and are quite adept in thaumaturgy too.

>Varpu
Lightweight avians with wings and smaller set of arms. With some training, lot can glide on their wings - some can even achieve true flight via very strict training. They are good at mimicry, have fortune in entertainment-business, but people can find their personalities grating.
>>
File: black brick man.jpg (91 KB, 514x650) Image search: [Google]
black brick man.jpg
91 KB, 514x650
I'm using the stock races as different kinds of humans to force myself to be more original when making other races. Also no animal people. At all.

The continent most humans live on is known for having a massive, almost impenetrable forest that takes up most of the land, with a massive gate to the underworld at its center.

Humans:
Goblins:
>Industrious humans that live on the steep western coastline. They often have buck/gapped teeth and dress like homeless people. Technology level is more industrial revolution than steampunk.

Hulder/Huldra:
>Wealthy humans that live on the forest's edge. Huldras tend to have thin lips and weak chins. Their dress is very stuffy and frilly, but looks nice. It's not unheard of for Huldras to have a little bit of fairy blood in them.

Orcs:
>Tough, strong jawed barbarians that make their home right at the gate to the underworld. Their garments are mostly just animal pelts, and they're almost always at war with something.

Elves
>Pointy eared humans that live deep in the forest. Their culture is deeply religious, and their small villages are kept under control by traveling arch-druids, who have elven law and customs memorized by heart.

Trolls
>Large nosed humans that live in the swamps to the south. They're often warty and hunchbacked, but troll witches are known across the world for their power.

Banshees
>Aloof and unnaturally beautiful humans that live near a great lake. Their language is very different from other humans, and they have a hard time adapting. Banshees are rarely trusted by other humans.

Naiads
>Naiads are known to have larger webs on their hands and feet than other humans. They live on the rocky beaches to the south west and often travel upriver to trade with other humans.

Hobs/Brownies
>Chubby humans known for their low self esteem, they live along a great river. While considered lazy and cowardly by many, they can produce great feats of engineering only using simple wooden machines.

Cont.
>>
File: 1447827012112.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1447827012112.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44253297
Now you can
>>
File: Glass Scribe.jpg (1 MB, 1687x1592) Image search: [Google]
Glass Scribe.jpg
1 MB, 1687x1592
>>44251605
Hilariously, the game he's playing does include an inordinate amount of bluffing, but that one hadn't occurred to me. One that one of my players had said was Iroh, actually, which is why we ended up giving him the tea.

>>44252750
Mmm, that's possible. I had actually tried to not just give every race human dimorphism--after all, the Blizzard approach of monstrous males and sexy females that are basically just different-colored human supermodels gets tiring after a while. So...I guess I was successful, in a way. A way that will leave a lot of people bemused, but at least they're more "fairly similar" than "distinctly feminine traits on males and distinctly masculine traits on females," I suppose.

Last art that currently exists: ohen male.
>>
File: tiny baby victories.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tiny baby victories.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
>>44253888
Ogres
>Live in the plains to the north. Ogres tend to be very fat, but this is only because they have some of the best cooking in the world. They're terrible at fighting, but are well liked by other races.

Nomads (placeholder name)
>Dark skinned travelers that have picked up sun worship from the great desert in the far north. They often hold incredible parties at night in the towns they visit. Their carefree attitude however draws scorn from some people.

Gnomes
>Shorter than most humans, gnomes live in a strange part of the forest with mushrooms that grow to be the size of trees. They tend to have round noses and blushed faces. They're known for their strange, almost vowel-less language and silly hats.

Dwarf
>Drunken communists that live in the mountains to the southeast. They're very dwarfy.

Devils
>Strange humans that have fully moved into the underworld. They're attitude is very pessimistic, drinking almost as much as dwarves. They have thin tails and small keratin horns.

Drow
>Cruel, dark-haired humans that are known for their intimidating architecture. Their homeland is infamous for the ridiculous amount of black birds that gather there.

Sylphs
>Live in a windy valley to the north east. They're often blonde and freckled, and their dress usually has a lot of light layers and ponchos.

Note that appearances are just generalizations and stereotypes. There's a lot of fat ogres, but not all ogres are fat, just like there's a lot of fat americans, but not all americans are fat.

Also I'm probably imagining everything a lot more vividly than I've explained it. I've got a couple other continents fleshed out a little and I might post those later.
>>
>>44253715
I like it a lot
10/10 would play in
>>
Folks roamed the earth
Like big rolling kegs
They had two sets of arms
They had two sets of legs
They had two faces peering
Out of one giant head
So they could watch all around them
As they talked while they read
And they never knew nothing of love
It was before the origin of love

And there were three sexes then
One that looked like two men
Glued up back to back
Called the children of the sun
And similar in shape and girth
Were the children of the earth
They looked like two girls
Rolled up in one
And the children of the moon
Were like a fork shoved on a spoon
They were part sun, part earth
Part daughter, part son
>>
Western Guy back with another that I sort of ended up taking charge of in the wake of several General threads. Setting is a world of flying islands, with the upper levels arid and warm and things become more humid as you descend until reaching the Abyss, a cold and dark world on the very rim of exploration that is filled with shadows as the light from above fails to reach. Beneath that are the Mists, a eerie world of pale blue half-light and frozen islands covered with a thick fog, killed with unknowables. Beneath even that is the Maelstrom, ever-churning currents and winds, a vortex of darkness and destruction from which some islands tumble to be broken apart and forged anew.

>Aven
Four primary tribes, the Eagle (Egyptian/Sumerian), Owl (Khmer), Rook (Romani/Celts), and Crane (Japanese/Korean). Depending on the tribe, they range from the proud race of warrior-priests to double-talking inventing scoundrels and everywhere in between. Occupy the niche that most settigns give to elves, halflings, and gnomes.

>Vaizi
Plant creatures that are distinguished by their masks, they're often seen as being splinters of an island's own identity. Pranksters and tricksters, they can be both sources of great knowledge and great irritation. Fantastic climbers, though, and often found in small colonies on the underside of islands where few surface dwellers can find them.

>Coralhearts
The setting's equivalent of dwarves, they're creatures that have a symbiotic relationship with the islands. They start their lives soft and weak, but as they grow, they subsist on a diet purely of stone and minerals and slowly begin to calcify, as coral, rock, and crystal grow from their skin. They often grow a fair bit in terms of size as their bodies are enveloped in a colorful and all-but-impenetrable shell. As they grow older and their bodies calcify further, they eventually lose the ability to move and remain wherever they stood as eternal statues and guardians.
>>
File: i11^cimgpsh_orig.jpg (303 KB, 1443x716) Image search: [Google]
i11^cimgpsh_orig.jpg
303 KB, 1443x716
>>44255183
>Mistborn
There is a chance with every birth that the human will be a Mistborn, though the chances are higher among humans and highest still among those who live in the lower levels of the world. Stories even speak of a civilization of the blue-eyed seers past the frost and fog. Magically gifted, the mistborn are rumors to be able to see through the Mist, their sight peering forwards and backwards in time. The setting's equivalent for tieflings and deva, or your general 'astral power influencing a mortal race'

>Humans
A couple of major groups that range from spider-worshipping monks, to peaceful farmers and herders dressed in Incan-style wool, to Sensible Roman Empire that patrols its territory with roc-riding cavalry.

>Maotai
Tattoo-covered herders and wanderers, they're Maori hunter-gatherers that have an intricate knowledge of the air currents of the Skylands. Sort of a combination of the setting's equivalent for half-orcs and goliaths. They're peaceful people if left undisturbed, but a frightening force when pushed to violence.
>>
>>44254300
I'm cool with the dimorphism being the way you've got it going. I will say this, with the Ohen the defining traits aren't completely covered by clothing, scenery, or both. I would suggest a gender based trait that can be noticed even if the others are obscured; like the Ohen's height difference. I do like what you've got overall.
>>
>the Pale Ones
Meat. Fresh meat. Ether they want it or not, but lives of the pale ones revolve around the meat of other living things. This ghastly pale, white haired race doesn't need sleep, water or other kinds of food. They only need and want meat.
They do not age naturally and thus cannot be killed by passing of the time. In fact they cannot grow naturally ether since they only grow then they consume enough meat. The infants start as mindless bloated things that looks like a grotesque parody of human child - but the size of a fully grown man. And in this state they stay until their mother or father provide them with enough food, while also teaching them self-control, and enables their growth into maturity at wich point they take on the most common form of their race - 7 feet tall deathly pale humanoid with highly defined musculature and a full set sharp teeth
Despite their rather unsavory nature, their culture is one big aristocratic, high class society where this people conceive and fulfill dreams of political power, scientific discoveries, philosophical teachings and warrior's pride. Of course, knowing the dark secret of their nature, it becomes quite obvious why this creatures HAD to develop such civilized culture.
It's too keep themselves in control of their own being. The secret is, that the flesh of other beings is not only their only substance but is at the same time their most addictive and deductive drug. After one meal, they want to take more, and even more after that, until they can't stop themselves and loose their minds to the fiest. They start to grow chaotically, getting bigger and fatter, developing new limbs and bodyparts until they barely resemble what they were. And to top it all of, the pale ones get the most substance and the biggest pleasure from eating the more developed creatures or to be exact - the sapient ones
In the civilized community however it is only excepted to eat once a year and only the meat of animals.
>>
>>44229488
Humans are humans. General flavor is Pacific Rim; central nations are East Asian/Latin American in flavor based on Japanese/Chinese exclave culture in Peru and Chile; frontiers are new Zealand/Polynesia in feel; remote regions are variously influenced by precolonial Pacific Northwest, Yezo, and Kamchatka.

Dwarfs and Elfs exist and generally coexist with human populations in some capacity, with the exception of an elfish offshoot race that rides thaumic jetskis and raids oceanside settlements ceaselessly. Most familiar technology is Neolithic, and even the most advanced is bronze age at best. Magic is omnipresent and requires little special talent to use, but is very powerful and wildly temperamental.

There's also a society of mercantile anteater people who are essentially arboreal used car salesmen; many tribal cultures of various racial extraction irrevocably tainted by natural magics; and a construct race whose masters died off centuries ago who obsessively search for and catalog arcane tech.
>>
>>44255901
*destructive drug
There's some more stuff about them, I'll write if anybody innterested, maybe with less grammatical mistakes this time
>>
>>44255901
God fucking damnit I have a race that is ridiculously similar in my setting, except instead of muscular they're extremely skinny.
>>
>Pratii Jilaam-
A sort of hivemind of centapede. The height is about to a mans knee, but about six to seven feet long and 3 feet wide. The mostly converse using pheromones . They cannot speak. But most have learned to write. They refer to each other as this Pratii Jilaam or that Pratii Jilaam. They have made a home on a island of a hollowed out super massive volcano. Many races know of the island or what the Pratii Jilaam call the Sandsea. With the main hub of network being the centre called the Undershore. No races can venure into the Undershore due to they very amount of pheromones as many would become to nausead to continue. The Pratii Jilaam sing to one another while speaking.

The Pratii Jilaam believe the first was created from the volcano. The First was birthed from the pressure and heat. This race is very dogmatic in its beliefs. The first had laid the foundation for the undershore with the first birth. The First had created the undershore as a nest to lay its larva. These first born where twice the size of todays Pratii Jilaam. The birthed would come to devour the first. Full with nutrients the birthed began to reproduce. Centuries later the Pratii Jilaam are at their current state. Weaker with each great spawn. No more are the towering forms they once were.

No many of the other races venture to the Sandsea. All know of the strange creatures that lurk, But the island it out of the way from the mainland and the heat adds to the problems staying land bound.

Continue--
>>
>>44256420

>Abol-
The Abol are a sexless race. 10 feet tall and slender built nightmares. Deep purple in color. These creatures are only active during the night. Their life spans hundreds of year's. Making them one of the oldest races, making even the elves life span seem short. Besides the nightmare visage the Abol have they have a child like demeanor about them. Only several hundred live. As they are a rare race of creature. They seem to appear in the night to help those who need it. They have a strange understanding of herbalist skills. No one understand where or what these creatures are. They believe them to be the spirits of the dead. They are in fact a planar traveling race. They have come to see themselves as the caretakers of the young races found on this planet.They have a slight control over gravity. The Abol seem to be the only race that has negatives with the Skern memory effect. Often sending the Skern into a coma or abrupt death.

The Abol don't speak much of what they are and from where they come. They seem to become only aggressive and seem to notice when one to attempting to force knowledge of some kind threw magic or other means. The show in numbers to disrupt the event. Seemly hiding some form of truth behind the plane's.
>>
>>44256603
>Skern-

A reptile like glider. Skern are a predator of sorts. The Skern eat a flower found in the mountain regions that allows only them to induce a strange affect. It always the Skern to bite a living creature and gain a memory. This has turned this race into a hedonistic race. They are built for warfare with the ability the glide. The tought scales that cover their bodies and claws and teeth. About the size of a large mastiff. The travel mostly on all 4 but can be bi pedal as well. Recently some of this race have attempted to live more civil lives. This Bite using the flower is also how they choose their mates. This memory transfer ability has allowed the Skern to become civil. often ending battle within their own race or even wars of past. As they had transfered memories of marching armys or supply lanes.

The oldest of the Skern are covered in scars from bite's. The elders have the higher chance to pick a mate. Also the ones sent to the front lines if need be. The life of the Skern are short due to the stress of the flower and memories. The oldest of the Skern Targost is closing in on the end of his life at the age of 8. Eight years seem to be the longest the adapted Skern seem to live. If the Skern hatchlings are not introduced to the flower and memories they turn feral, This also allows for longer life spans closer to 12 years.

The Flower has played a important role into the Skern race. Many believe that the elder races came across the Skern while they where still feral. The older races drove the Skern into the mountains. There they started to live off the flower. Many believe the skern learned how to be civil only during this time.
>>
My group has yet to discover them all and browses /tg/ often, so I'm only posting the ones they know of.

Playable:
Humans- pretty self-explanatory, though there is a "high-born" line that frequently has eccentric features and is born with omniscient knowledge concerning linguistics.
Quam- the short race. From kobolds to dwarves to hobbits to gnomes to goblins, etc. No one ubiquitous phenotype except short and humanoid. They have a line that has the innate ability to determine the value of objects. They live a long time.
Cursa- the beastrace. They descend from a shape-shifting race that segregated into clans for identity sake, leading to the loss of the shape-shifting. So centaurs, wolfmen, kitsune, etc. Those with pure enough blood have heavily altered organs, allowing for prolonged time without food or water, the ability to consume large amounts of both, rapid healing, and organic toxins are treated more like an energy drink (alcohol is basically a redbull). They also age rapidly.
The Grim- the Grim Reaper chooses some humans that die to continue in his service, in return they are granted limited powers of the reaper. Also, they are skeletons.
Dracon- a breed of dragon that is humanoid, intelligent, conversant, etc. However, they have lost the ability to breathe fire and their scales aren't as tough as a regular dragon's. They live until something kills them.
Somni- sapient golems. A little self-explanatory, though they require a soul to be given up for their sapience.
>>
>>44256926
I forgot to put them on new lines, whoops.
>>
>>44255183
>>44255377
I like it. Stays very classic fantasy while still being pretty different.

Bonus points for actually having art.
>>
>>44257485
Thanks. They were pretty fun threads from back in... 2013? Ended up with an impressive project where /tg/ managed to have a Roman Empire that was more based on unity and trade than bloody slaughter, Dwarves that just a side-note and not particularly central (they even have an ongoing war against Parrotfish people that eat the fuck out of their growths), and in general a setting that was more cozy than confrontational, where teamwork and companionship were the greatest strengths, rather than weapons of war.

Sort of a Crystal Chronicles tone. I mean, down in the Maelstrom is 100% nightmare mode filled with horrific eldritch monsters, but the setting's tag-line during the Generals was pretty much always 'stay cozy'.
>>
>>44251076
A lot of my races from

>>44238284
>>44238353
have a lot of distances between them, or, like the Elefa and the Orcs, are close to one another and are at war.

There's a lot of conflict happening, but I left a lot of that out to attempt to condense.

The Elves and the Kachu'e have an ancient agreement, the Kachu'e taught the Elves how to build ships and to navigate the seas, and the elves offer them protection and safe harbor.

The dwarves doors are always open, except to the Renbalma and Sun'Asad. The former due to simple racism, the latter due to fucking thieves.

The humans are trying to wage war on the elves, who kill everyone and everything that gets within an arrows distance of their rainforest. They initially sent people seeking peace, but the elves are shits.
>>
File: 1376962036553.jpg (248 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1376962036553.jpg
248 KB, 1440x900
>>44256906
>>44256603
>>44256420

These are super dumbed down as English is not a language I fully grasp yet. But there are going the be humans and elves. Humans are expercing a golden age and the elves are isloated and stuck. The humans are expanding peacfully at the moment threw trade. The elves are dealing with some sort of diesase that have been turning them into a morphic creature kinda like a vampire. I really like how the witcher 3 did vampire at least the looks.

So that alone is 3 more races plus the 3 I just posted besides this.

Working on or at the very least planning on 2-3 more races. two of which are Planar traveling. One being invisable to everything and is what is causing the elves to transform. But this parasite doesnt understand itself due to some mishap during travel....each elf infected is a fragment of a greater being.Confused and not full it transform the elves. into monsters and hungrey for the lifesource of others.

The other planar race is pretty much the Men in Black of the planes. Its attempting to figure out what the anomoly is on this planet. but due to the Greater being becoming fragmented is messing with their travels as well. this displacement is causing them to become stange objects. Like a tree that pulses magic and have limited telepathy. A sentiant pen or a brick of a house. Some make it threw untouched. being of human shape and size they are condensted in the form. They can wipe the memory of those who they manipluate. pretty much the idea is without or most of the story is hidden from the party till like 6 months into the campaign. Strange things happen through and slowly learn about this MiB race and the Greater being. Most of the issue with the MiB and greater being fragment has happened in the past decade.
>>
From a space-opera game i've been running with some friends. These guys are actually the "background races" from the setting, and don't really have any actual development. I mean besides the fact that the ship pilot immediately bed one of the ones on the far right as soon as he got the chance, and it became a running joke that they were our "Twi'lek, Asari, green woman" race that was overly sexualized. Not sure how much it was a joke or my players power levels showing through, but fuck it let them have their fun.

Maybe you guys can help me out with giving them some flavor.

Otherwise I haven't drawn the main playable player races with detailed lore and culture or anything yet. No particular reason why. But i could either bore you with lengthy descriptions no one will read or wave around a pretty picture. If I ever get to drawing the rest i'm sure i'll post that too.
>>
File: SIderacelineup.png (117 KB, 2542x1357) Image search: [Google]
SIderacelineup.png
117 KB, 2542x1357
>>44257892
>But i could either bore you with lengthy descriptions no one will read or wave around a pretty picture.
>Forgets the picture so i end up doing literally that

God i'm so great.
>>
Bumping for more stuff to steal for my homebrew.
>>
>>44260142
What stuff have you stolen so far?
>>
>>44229488

Let take a crack at this. I apologize, my English is not good.

>Nilbogs
Vicious, red-skinned variants of goblins. Shorter, more animalistic and stunted, they attack as feral swarms ranging from 5-10 to the largest, which is ~22,000. They consume anything organic in an area, including wood and leather, then move on. Even goblins hate them, exterminating the little red bastards wherever they find them. Nilbogs survive because they can live on any sort of organic material and lay litters that can have up to 12 runts (the common pejorative for young nilbogs). I do not allow nilbog PCs.
>Dwarves
My dwarves have elements of insects. Their skin is more like chitin, they have multifaceted eyes, and instead of a beard they have a mass of multijointed pincers that cover their mouths. They are a calm, contemplative race that has a natural ability to work stone.
>Elves
Cannibalistic forest dwellers who hunt with barbed javelins and nets. They tend to use magic focused on confusing and hindering their prey, instead of outright killing them with it.
>Gnomes
They've been locked in a bitter genocidal war with the kobolds for centuries and are slowly losing. They are a bitter race of desperate survivors. Any of the truly fucked up stuff on this plane was probably created in the kobold/gnome war. Like the nilbogs, or the...
>Halflings
Gnomes mutated to be stealthier, they are now a race that breeds true. Cruel, cunning, and vicious, they are enslaved by the gnomes and serve as battle fodder in the war. Into ritualistic branding and magitek implants. (Think cyberware)

I do not know how much longer I can make this, so I will make another post.
>>
>>44231206
>Mercor names
>shalom

sides in space tbqh
>>
>>44239162
Hey friend, how to make PDFs in that format?
>>
>>44257914
The one on the far right looks cool as all hell. Something about them screams "Traveler from another dimension" to me. Maybe some shit about their race arriving through a wormhole? If I get what you're asking for right, you want somebody to come up with a backstory or fluff for them, right? I'll give it a try.

Sentries are the galaxy's oddest mix of compassion and disregard. In moments empathy, they spark with understanding, causing the inside of their red chest to glow. Once their glow is shown, a sentry is a lifelong friend and ally. Gaining this level of trust is difficult, though. As their name implies, sentries see far but often miss what is right in front of them. They feel as though they only understand emotion as an abstract concept, but hold it in highest regard.

The sentry home world of Grandspire is as strange as the sentries themselves. Orange stone mountains not three miles across yet hundreds of miles tall dominate the landscape, with the centerpiece being the mountain that the planet is named for, Grandspire. The sheer incline of the city remains, yet the mountain is so wide and tall that a network of caves run the length and height of the natural fortress. The top of the spire actually extends into the upper reaches of the atmosphere, where only the naturally resilient sentries can survive without assistance. Other races must make the proper accommodations before ascending to the top, where the Sentry Forum is held. In the Forum, any Sentry is welcome to speak and express their views, as well as vote. The Forum is no fixed body, so laws and the like are passed solely based on who is present at the time.

In times of ultimate duress, it is said that the already impressive wingspan of a sentry doubles in a seemingly impossible growth.

Should I keep going?
>>
>>44255467
Well, the less human and less noticeable dimorphism was something that the player primarily responsible for the suros design direction wanted to explore, in part to contrast with the more visible dimorphism of the ohanya and to streamline them more for aquadynamics. Maybe I'll just push in the future for a bit more visibly broadened hips and shoulders on the males.

>>44260506
Microsoft Word.
>>
>>44260672
>not wanting trapodiles
>not wanting revers trapodiles
where do you think you are?
>>
>>44260399
Continuing...

>Kobolds
An ancient race from the very depths of the plane, they use draconic magic in large, complicated rituals to bring about natural disasters. Hate gnomes in an instinctual way. A kobold whelp will immediately fling itself at a gnome, even without prompting. Their underground empire, built on the backs of slaves and supported by magitek stone golem warriors, is slowly expanding towards the surface.
>Dragonborn
When Lirim, the God of Law, died at the hands of Cytherion the Tainted Lust, the Dragonborn collectively absorbed what little remained of the God of Law. They have become a mercenary race specializing in law enforcement. Most large cities boast a contingent of Dragonborn guards, obsessive to the point of fanaticism in making sure the other races follow the laws of whatever land they are in. I do not allow Dragonborn PCs.
>Humans
Natural magic users. They once controlled a good portion of the surface but were brought low centuries ago by a combination of extraplanar attacks, internal wars, and foolish magical experiments. Seen as strange by the other races for their tendency of 'tinkering' with magic. Slowly rebuilding their former strength. The other races, covetous yet fearful of their power, trade cautiously with humans for wonderous items.
>Orcs
Plains nomads who ride elephants and take little to no shit from the other races. A race of stoics with a strong martial tradition based around fighting with bagh naka, tiger claws.
>Goblins
Opportunistic merchants. Think the Ferengi from Star Trek with fewer morals.

Shall I continue?
>>
File: Utashuta Study.png (133 KB, 2197x1710) Image search: [Google]
Utashuta Study.png
133 KB, 2197x1710
>>44260623
If you want to be my guest. I'm glad you like it that much.

Not sure i'll be playing with inter dimensional shenanigans but that sounds like a good homeworld, and i'll definitely remember the "oddest mix of compassion and disregard" bit for general personalities.

Sorry these are so big, by the way. Downside of using the pencil, resizing things usually looks like shit. I'm still new to digital art.
>>
File: Sargon of Akkad.jpg (18 KB, 263x500) Image search: [Google]
Sargon of Akkad.jpg
18 KB, 263x500
Well it's 3 am and I can't sleep, so I guess I'll post my idea for Dwarves that's been marinating for a couple hours.

Dwarves were originally Giants. They were and still are fantastic architects and craftsmen. Sometime countless generations ago, the Giants got it into their heads that they were the highest form of life. They began a project to build a Tower of Babel to challenge the gods in heaven/olympus.

For their hubris, the gods destroyed their tower and cursed the Giants with small stature, reducing them to a fifth of their original size. The Dwarves as they are commonly called now are deeply resentful of deities and instead have a cult of ancestor worship. The entire race has a Napoleon complex and still view themselves as superior to other races.

They build their cities outside the walls of the abandoned Giant civilizations. Their ancestral homes are far too big for them now. They are somewhat xenophobic, but allow outsiders into their cities. However, they zealously guard the entrances to the cities of the Giants. No outsider may set foot within the holy walls of yore.

Their language is a modification of the language if Giants (think vulgar latin to classical). The largest difference being a vowel shift due to the Dwarves being unable to produce some of the old vowel sounds. They practice throat singing when praying to their ancestors, believing that the two voices that a master can produce is the closest they can come to recreating the voice of the giants.

Pic related, they style their beards like the Akkadians because it's really fucking cool looking.
>>
>>44254562
Thanks. The world's sort of modernish, high-fantasy, low-magic.
There are some other chums that might be interesting.

>Sheoleans
Living that never emerged in material world, residing in Sheol (abyss). Their forms are constantly and their touch is mutagenic. Immortal.
Rather reasonable folk, magic's second nature to them.
Oldest ones tend to be obscenely powerful - THVBH in particular, serpent that created plantlife and lunarians.

>Lunarians
Moonpeople which were created by THVBH as failsafe.
Rocky exoskeleton, six limbs, don't breathe and communicate via radiowaves.
They are immortal, capable of reverting into pre-mature state or splitting to two younger ones. Rarely appear on planet's surface.

>Demons
Psychic parasites created by an asshole deity to destroy life. They do not possess physical forms, but require a sapient mind to dwell in. They are then visible to that creature - and capable of harming them.
They are intelligent, but driven by their compulsions. Powerful ones might be able to create a physical proxy.
However, due to oversight in design, almost all demons fell into Sheol.
>>
>>44260806
>dat female
PORN WHENS?
>>
>>44253715
>>44261469

I like it too but based on the description does that mean humans don't get magic?

Also based on the guns I'm imagining it has a more modern or post-apocalypse fantasy feel.
>>
>>44261503
Yes, but it is not as awful drawback, since magic's not that powerful. They have other attributes to make up for it - and there are some ways to regain magic, but all of them are pretty unwholesome.
Although they were absurdly good casters back then.
>>
>>44255901
>>44256039
Well, the whole concept is kinda vampire-ish

This guys have a fun history -
they had a war with giants and for the first time ever the whole nation gone full meat crazy literally because there was so much fresh giant meaty corpses.
They then became full on evil kingdom and dominated humanity and turned them into a literal human cattle and began to eat and grow uncontrollably until they became a country of retarded, fat, grotesque human eating giants who still instinctively acted as if there was something royal and aristocratic about their lives.
>>
There 3
Humans
Centi, they are humans but if they mate with a centi or a human this will produce no children. They can mate with a renti
Renti its a human and will produce a renti or a human when mating with a human, a renti when mating with a renti and a centi when mating with a centi
Centi are songs of satan born to do evil stuff that will bring humans to the evil side. They cant mate with anything not renti because god didnt wanted to, so they find renti to continue their lineage.
>>
>>44229488
Humans, elves, dwarves, prums, orcs, and skellingtons.

Humans are dominant, most of them live in an HRE equivalent.

Elves come in three flavors, "high", continental, and dark. High elves are super Aryans who betrayed the old continental elven empire and sided with the Rome-equivalent human empire. They retain much of that culture and are treated at least as equals and iftentimes as betters by most humans. Continental elves are swarthy and based on ancient Greek and Mesopotamian civilization. They are the leftovers of the old elven empire and are treated like dirt by pretty much everybody. Before Rome fell they were slaves, the HRE has illegalized slavery but they still get heavily exploited, many are serfs and indentured servants. Dark elves live in Russia and are constantly covered in an ash like substance because of a species curse. They're based on ancient Southeast Asian culture and are pretty much the most obviously evil faction.

Dwarves are divided in two. One group is basically just Jews, the other is the old Dwarven empire which never ended its war with humanity or the elves and wants to reclaim their clay from the HRE.

Prums are like halflings, gnomes, and sylphs put together. They travel like Gypsies but are generally held to be a positive influence wherever they pass through.

Orcs live in the steppe in a constant state of tribal warfare. They are based on ancient Korea and are generally regarded as a lower form of life by the rest of the world.

Skellingtons are the necromantic remains of Rome who are currently fighting Muslims in Palestine. They got fucked by God (modified version of Pelor) for dabbling in necromancy according to legend but in reality it was for exposing his nature as a Lovecraftian abomination.
>>
>>44260820
i'm from r9k but that's pretty cool tbqhwy senpai
kind of explains why dwarves have such big halls
so what kind of architecture did those giants have?
>>
Aside from your standard Human/Elf/Dwarf/Orc, I've got Kobolds, nomadic Halflings, Janni("neutral" genies), Ratfolk, Tengu, and Mesoamerican bee-people.
>>
>>44253715
Hi Rand
>>
>>44261474
This is pretty much the exact reaction my players had. Am I missing something here? Or am I underestimating the
>>
>>44229488
Well, you see, Whites stayed the dominant race since the apocalypse targetted population centers mostly, which disproportionately killed minorities due to self-segregation. In America, of the minorities that survived, over the next hundred years they assimilated in to the American (white) Culture to rebuild.

Asians are the other super power culture in the world. The apocalypse and limited nuclear exchange due to fuckery with India/Pakistan and trying to run away from mainland China, they all came together in Nepal and the Himilayas for the natural protection against the hordes of undead.Totalitarianism sprang up, quickly creating a larger bureaucratic super elite. In order to control the ever surging population, stricter and stricter policies got put in place to the point where you can't have locks on your doors and you can't cover your chest (could be hiding the apocalypse vector). The irony is, they're doing a fairly good job keeping everyone fed, warm, and healthy and are responsible for 92% efficient solar panels being mass produced, so the current generation is prepping a massive revolution.

The apocalypse didn't really change anything for the blacks in Africa. Just less people alive to fight in the same hell hole as ever.

No one lives in the middle east anymore. They all fled to their holy centers thinking Yahweh/Allah would protect them but it just made the undead go exponential. But, you know, >desert, they're mostly irrelevant because no one needs their oil anymore.

Europe went full medieval again, selling all their art and history to America in exchange for food and guns.

>/pol/ makes a setting
>>
>>44229488
Anyone got pictures of really interesting looking races?

What I mean by that is races that aren't just humanoids i.e. elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, etc. but also aren't just straight-up animal people i.e. bird head plonked on a feathered humanoid body, cat head plonked on a furred humanoid body, etc. but bearing in mind to not be so far from anything on earth that it looks alien.

Seriously way too many fantasy races fit either of those categories and I'm just bored of it.
>>
>>44229488
>Zarii
The Zarii are a genetically engineered companion race, design to integrate with and assist in the development of human societies. Biologically derived from human stock, they are easily distinguished by their skin tone, which ranges from blue to violet. Attractive, loyal, intelligent, and very sociable; Zarii tend to make significant contributions to society and are well liked by the base-line human population.

The Zarii are also entirely female and reproduce via parthenogenesis at a rate which matches the human population. Most cities in the United Republics are approximately 50% Zarii, resulting in a female-to-male ratio of 3 to 1. Which just goes to show; even when the setting is ScifFi, the Realm can still be Magical.
>>
>>44265726
You forgot the collapse in availability of birth control and a societal focus on repopulation. This leads to women focusing most of their time and energy on bearing and raising children, with a co-commitment return to Patriarchal social norms for society at large.
>>
>>44266173
OP asked about races, not genders, but you're more or less accurate for America. Chindia repopulated while treating everyone like the barcode printed on their chests (to mark where the identification chip is)

The response to the apocalypse in America was building a big fucking wall and making a fortress city. The highly urbanized environment within was engineered to have entertainment districts highly policed and thus safe to leave your kid in while both mom and dad went to work. This worked relatively well, though it formed street gangs, until overpopulation turned the lower levels of the city turned into a massive sprawling ghetto that the middle class won't even descend in to, using bridges between the sky scrapers and suspended rail systems to get around.

But now the rise of virtual reality internet has brought on a new wave of degeneracy since people are creating a secondary economy in it, not needing state watched industry jobs to feed themselves. While they were all distracted by their new found sexual liberation though, the government pushed through an abolishment of privacy on grounds that only their AIs actually see all the data, not actual humans, so you're still "private", it's just a machine after all.
>>
>>44242818
>>44246041
>>44246230

Fine. Have it your way. Each race in 20 words or less.

>Humans.
Basic fair. Originated in the Southern Continent. Migrated North when Continent went to shit. Cultures are all over the place.

>Centaurs.
They're Centaurs. Originated from the mainland. Lands stolen/contested by literally everyone. Basically Native Americans.

>Fauns
Horns, Goat/Deer Legs, Music, Wine, Sex, Nature, Frolicking, Happiness. Good times. Devote themselves to art. Found in rural lands.

>Garoh
Not!Werewolves that guard the borders of the northern frozen wasteland. Stalwart motherfuckers. Tough as shit. Can shift to human.

>High Fey
Ever wanted to play as a Fairy Princess? Here you fucking go. Take stripes from most classic fey. Entitled bitches.

>Kanin
Totally not the Pooka from Odin Sphere. Hopeful, Chivalrous, Adorable former humans trying to reverse a curse. Redwall, the Race.

>Minotaurs
Scaled down a little from classic D&D/Pathfinder. Once Savage brutes trying to make a place for themselves in society.

>Nagakin.
Hora hora~
Half Snake/Half people. Least populous race in setting. Descendants betrayed their people for a life of luxury.

>Paeraens
The people the Nagakin betrayed. Desert dwelling gypsy nomad people. Centuries ago they were disciples to a great dragon.
>>
File: 1445154702590.png (179 KB, 900x371) Image search: [Google]
1445154702590.png
179 KB, 900x371
bump
>>
>>44262572
I am interested in feedback. FEED ME
>>
File: Konachan.com - 103950 sample.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1061) Image search: [Google]
Konachan.com - 103950 sample.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1061
>>44229488
Elves as the post-humanist separation of the "beautiful people". They have nice toys, which operate mostly on their own. Most live as "high" city elves in towering self-sustaining ziggurauts, but the tree-hugger and emo cave variety exists as well. Elves move about as their moods change. Although they enjoy a post-scarcity society they limit breeding as a deep set culteral convention. There were serious wars about this a while ago. Their lives revolve around drama and the court. Most adventuring elves are ones who have turned their back on their society for whatever reason or those who get exiled (which is their death sentence equivalent, without the city's services, elves age normally). Elven warriors are made up of those in (wuffie)debt, those who enjoy it, or those looking to make room for someone else to have a kid. But if push ever comes to shove, the elven gods (who are really just the rock-stars with the most access) would bring the hurt with the big guns and direct the dragons to do their bidding. Some even still listen to the deepset genetic code. Of course, that's what caused most of the world to be wiped clean. So the few remaining elven cities operate under a certain MAD truce with each other and ignore the lesser folk.
>>
File: 1271286981073.jpg (550 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1271286981073.jpg
550 KB, 600x849
>>44272316
Dwarves are morlocks. They're the post-humanist separation of the geeks, nerds, scientists, and IT crowd. Technocrats who have done what they can to abandon the world. They hone their "magic" down in the depths of the earth, ever looking for exotic "gems" and "ores" (uranium, lithium, etc). They made the elven cities and all that makes them elves. They also give birth to the dragons, and imprinted the control routines into their heads. But they went their separate ways a while ago after dwarves automated the elven toys. Every great once in a while, the elves have to beg the dwarves for a new power source or to fix a toy. They're ever looking for insight into their dark arts and hope to spread out to the stars (Oil has run dry = no rockets, but there's hope for synthetics). As keepers of the sacred flame throughout the age of dragons, many are obsessed with safeguarding ancient tomes, ruins, and whatnot. So they bury it under mountains and shit. The surface has been more or less written off as a mess. Dwarven adventurers, like elves, are often exiles, but some voluntarily set out to scout how the surface is doing, or to research some long-lost treasure trove, or to inspect an ancient cache of whatnot. All are strictly forbidden of causing any ruckus among the elven nobles least the prats start at it again.
>>
File: 1296675436234.jpg (58 KB, 410x328) Image search: [Google]
1296675436234.jpg
58 KB, 410x328
>>44272349

Humans are the outbred standard that survived on the fringes of the wars and is now coming back.

Orcs are the inbred freaks that survived the wars and came out the worse for it. Deformed, aggressive, more animalistic, less socialized. They also have a greater variety and many local flavors.

A lot of monsters are simply evolved/experimented animals. Gnolls, owlbears, giant frogs, centaurs, and the rest are biproducts that were chucked out the back door and left to fend for themselves.
>>
File: 1295797388017.jpg (49 KB, 700x509) Image search: [Google]
1295797388017.jpg
49 KB, 700x509
>>44272364
Dragons were the workhorse of the old wars. The ultimate mobile tank. They were tasked with raveging the surface and they did well. The old ones have the strongest imprint and will heed the beck and call of those with the proper access codes. I mean, "know their true name". They mostly sleep in maintanence mode awaiting the next war and their next instructions. The younger ones born during the age of dragons, and later generations, are more independent and have started to collect hordes of wealth. And then there are these degenerated drakes that serve no master at all, but don't have anywhere near the dragons power.

So magic is out the window, but high-technology largely replaces it. The elves and dwarves can't bring back the dead, but they can insert a previous mind-uploaded version into a vat-grown body. Floating eyeballs can zoom out and scry on people, because it's a drone. A teleportation pad isn't instantaneous and required you to enter a metal box, and only goes certain places, because it's an elevator. A wand of killIt makes a large noise, throws out some stuff and does essentially the same thing as a shotgun, because it IS a shotgun.
>>
>>44262572
>>44270047
HRE = Holy Roman Empire?

Roman elves... greek elves.... russian elves...
Greeks are prosecuted for some reason?
No egyptians?
Jew Dwarves are typically called gnomes, right?

prums? Really?
>Gypsies...
>generally held to be a positive influence
Duuuuude, no.
1) Gypsies were HATED
2) No one is generally held to be good folk because everyone is SUPER-RACIST. Especially if you're trying to tie in old earth civilizations.

>Orcs ...ancient Korea ... lower form of life
>Dark elves ...ancient Southeast Asian culture ...obviously evil faction.
Tone down the obvious racism you racist fuck.

>Skellingtons are the necromantic remains of Rome who are currently fighting Muslims in Palestine.
uuuuuuuugh.

>They got fucked by God (modified version of Pelor) for dabbling in necromancy according to legend but in reality it was for exposing his nature as a Lovecraftian abomination.
Well that's pretty tight. . . God, don't mention them as a major race though. I mean, are there monsters? Each one of those is a special little "race" but we don't harp on small niche groups.

So... everyone knows their major god (including the HOLY roman empire?) was a sham? How'd that go?
>>
File: vodai aas.png (344 KB, 703x969) Image search: [Google]
vodai aas.png
344 KB, 703x969
copypasting straight out of my manual (sci-fantasy based on how a high-fantasy planet receives an info cache from the skies containing milennia of technologic advancements, and the events sparked by it)

>There are 5 main species populating the surface of Skyresh, 3 of them as the triad of modern civilization, and another one of them intelligent. The last one, however, encompasses the vast and terrifying realm of Beasts.

>The first one of these species is the ones called Tonkari: the more common among the civilized folk, Tonkari are considered the “average” of society; hard-working people with pointy ears and short horns that come in a vast number of shapes and sizes, and a smooth skin that covers the whole spectrum from red to blue, with strangely unicolored eyes of a yellowish white.

>The second one, the Gendrel, are much taller than the average Tonk, and have three major traits that make them unique: one of them, and the most strikingly distinctive one, is the fact that they have 4 arms instead of two. The second one are their feet, which end in a truncated, almost cylindrical shape. The last one is their facial structure: with 4 eyes, and flat, almost deer-like noses, the Gendrel are strangely elegant. With thick lips and skin patterns that dance around browns, yellows and red palettes, they’re naturally the standard of Skyreshian beauty.

>The third one are the Vodai, whose matte black skin is made of a rough matter that bends on touch, but can harden like steel with their slightest thought. Despite the medical advancements after and prior to receiving the cache, their structure is still a mystery to many. They have two long, curved horns that grow forwards and upwards and can reach great lengths, and the striking ability to hide eyes inside their head, the amount of eyes being still a matter of discussion in the scientific community.

(cont.)
>>
File: races sketch.png (134 KB, 935x1009) Image search: [Google]
races sketch.png
134 KB, 935x1009
>>44272593

>The last one to achieve sentience carries a wide variety of creatures. The term “Olmert” has been used by the population of Skyresh to refer to what we could call a construct. The olmert were believed to be only magical, appearing as elegant husks of rock, haunting and inert statues that started walking for no apparent reason, and the particular case of a young girl made of viscous goo that stemmed from arcane residue left behind in the cauldron of a young sorcerer; but after mechanical units and auto-armors started appearing, the Olmert have apparently taken control of husks of metal and cables, with the same communication abilities as arcane ones. They’re a baffling occurrence, but Olmert willing to join society have been accepted many times into villages and strongholds, although the common folk have no interest in dealing with such creatures.

>The realm of Beasts goes from common wolves to an entire family of dragons, and due to the planet’s geomagnetic accidents, the presence of magic, and the overall lower gravity, they have grown to immense sizes, leaving the civilized world to only occupy a very small surface of the planet. It is because of the beasts that the vast majority of the world remains unexplored.

i can't comment on all the races i've liked so far because i've been reading the thread for the past 20 minutes and i love too many of them, this is a pretty good thread
>>
File: 1443407185846.png (820 KB, 1000x1244) Image search: [Google]
1443407185846.png
820 KB, 1000x1244
>>44265780
I have you, family
>>
File: 1443407525175.png (361 KB, 586x776) Image search: [Google]
1443407525175.png
361 KB, 586x776
>>44272806
>>
File: Bex.jpg (229 KB, 1024x1492) Image search: [Google]
Bex.jpg
229 KB, 1024x1492
>>44272895
>>
>>44273011
>>
File: tumblr_nw1xyrxqXB1qmpf13o1_1280.png (770 KB, 1280x1076) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw1xyrxqXB1qmpf13o1_1280.png
770 KB, 1280x1076
>>44273035
>>
File: Talz.png (93 KB, 568x617) Image search: [Google]
Talz.png
93 KB, 568x617
>>
>>
>>44273084
>>
File: Arcologists.jpg (210 KB, 562x1070) Image search: [Google]
Arcologists.jpg
210 KB, 562x1070
>>44273123
>>
>>44273142
>>
>>44240415
>>44240766
>>44245491

dire human made me laugh
>>
File: 1449366881780.jpg (1 MB, 1512x1045) Image search: [Google]
1449366881780.jpg
1 MB, 1512x1045
>>44273234
>>
>>44270047
Congrats on cookie cutter fantasy setting number 197 mate
>>
File: 460.jpg (275 KB, 1379x2031) Image search: [Google]
460.jpg
275 KB, 1379x2031
>>44246230
>mfw I wrote some races that no one responded to and I'm just now scrolling through the thread looking for something other than responses to my excessively verbose pose on this 7 or 8th time I've checked the thread
>>
>>44261474
Anon, how do you fuck an eleven foot tall flying sauropod?
>>
File: 1385959799764.png (166 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1385959799764.png
166 KB, 500x500
>>44273436
Stick your dick in it?
>>
>>44261469
>>44253715

THVBH, the Slaud, and some other details in your setting remind me of Elder Scrolls lore. In fact, they may be direct expies or directly inspired, but that's not a bad thing.

...I might be biased considering that I'm a fan of the Elder Scrolls setting, but whatever.
>>
>>44273484
You're right i guess i forgot where i was for a second there.
>>
What this thread has taught me about homebrews

>Forgotton realms but WEETH A TWEEST

>Spore creature creator and silly names.
>>
>Elves
Overpowered Nazi Mary Sue Elves form oversea who already conquered and magically terraformated their own continent. They are very few, each clan reigns on their own HUGE forests (they need their Lebensraum) so they aren't much more than two dozens thousand. They learned about the other continent thanks to a people of sentient whales, but they aren't really in an invading mood right now
>humans
Human beings. Unable to use any magic that isn't VERY incantation heavy.
>Dwarves
They all disappeared centuries ago. They only left HUGE mazelike underground cities in the mountain. Some said they just kept digging until a point where they couldn't go back up. Their ruins are now filled with goblins and rats., and sometimes powerful artefacts
>Hobbit
Absolutely identical to Tolkien's hobbits. Their independance is guaranted by the birdmen.
>Birdmen of Cheelah
Most powerful magic users in the universe .Wise and pacifist, they often intervene between the different human factions and few dare to defy their power. They can switch between their birdmen and full bird form at will.
>Orcs
Noble barbarians trope.
>>
>>44272518
>Gypsies were hated
Indeed, but the prums are not. Basically instead of being thieving degenerates who roll into town and shit all over everything, prums are like a traveling festival who bring fortune to the communities they visit by virtue of their connection to nature and spirits.

>Jew Dwarves are gnomes
I dunno, I really hate gnomes but the dwarves who live in human society are basically Jews, they own the banks and maintain family networks across regions, they're more like Witcher dwarves than any gnomes I know of.

>skellingtons
They're a major race in the setting, distinct from regular shitter skellies because they're literally the Romans of yore who have minds and agency.

>racism
I used SE Asian culture for the dark elves because it's a unique flavor and really makes them foreign, also I like the idea of Angkor Wat in a snowy ashen waste. The Korean orcs are just believed to be inferior because they're not civilized, one of the plot hooks I ran in the mid game was that they had formed up into a big horde and started heading west because of an existential threat coming in from the east.

>evil god
Well the truth is pretty well suppressed, a major plot point in the campaign I ran was uncovering the conspiracy in the Church hierarchy.
>>
>>44273655
Everything is derivative of something, when you get down to it. And that one guy with art of his races wasn't actually that Spore.
>>
>>44229488

> Humans
Because, of course there would be humans. They are tenacious, inventive, and one of the most varied races in creation.

> Koroks
Small monkeys with antlers on their heads. They are primitive creatures for the most part, bands living in tribes and communing with the spirits of nature for both magic and medicine. However, some have taken to city life among humans.

> Chotari
A race of genetic recombinants whose diet shapes their physical form. Different tribes breed different capabilities, from the nimble flyers of the rocky highlands to the fishmen of the great seas.

> Goliaths
Lumbering burrowers who developed a stony carapace for defense. They are slow moving but methodical, with little drive to deal with matters not related to their appetite.
>>
>>44273345

Don't get butthurt, you shouldn't ever expect anyone to respond to you.

My post was also ignored even though it is better then 99% of the shit in this thread, don't worry about it Anon. You can't live for other people's approval.
>>
>>44279039
>even though it is better then 99% of the shit in this thread
So, which variant on "humans are the varied jack-of-all trades, FR with a tweest, and dumbly-named homebrew races" are you?
>>
>>44279039
>>44280697

Yes friend, which post is yours, the one that's 99% better than everyone else's?
>>
Is anyone else really tired of humans always having multiple cultures and showing up in every region, while other races have very limited territories and only a single culture each?
>>
>>44283874
I like my non human races to be reclusive, so there isn't much interaction between any of the races and definately not enough for the party to observe too many different cultures in those races.

Keeps things pretty simple, but every once in awhile I like to throw a bone and give a glimpse into non-human race factions/cultures.
>>
>>44283874
Yes.

In my world, there is a medieval europe of humans, who live on the plains and along edges of water, with a few populations inside the realms of other races, either as slaves or vassals (typically farmers).

The other areas of the world are populated by other races.
I won't deny my preference for european humans over other real-life races.
Instead of black people in the warm savannahs, there are gnolls.
Instead of native americans, you have wild elves.
Instead of indians/aztecs/whatever in the jungles, you have lizardmen.
Instead of vikings and other bronzed barbarian types, you have orcs.
Instead of gypsies and jews, you have gnomes (though they aren't evil).

Then you have your elves, dwarves, hobbits, kobolds, saurians (typical bandit/raider race living outside of civilized areas), goblins (stealthy thief types who live in hidden warrens near other races), giants, dragons, illithids, and a whole slew of monsters who live everywhere else.
>>
Ashwrought
Composite begins created in a magical disaster in a major population center. Have malleable bodies, versatile skill sets, and a species wide case of schizophrenia.

Disciples
Towering, beautiful creatures created by infusing a mortal with celestial ichor. Have ornate, porcelain and gold like outer shells often more reminiscent of architecture than biology, and a twisted organic core which over time is transmuted into more ichor. Think bayonetta angels, white phyrexians, or the cultists from endless legend

Sidehar
Advanced, self improving clockwork organisms of unnatural materials and extraplanar origins. Widely liked and fairly benevolent, gather in large cities and form backbone of industry and trade. Work fantastically together, each one's presence exponentially improving the function of the others. Unbeknownst to nearly everyone, they're actually fallen bits of the celestial machinery, specifically a sort of doomsday clock that was dismantled just shy of Armageddon by some adventurers. Their instincts to gather and cooperate are actually a subconscious attempt by the doomsday clock to reassemble itself and ascend.

Hexers
Female children of the union of a hag and a human. Bear a number of inhuman, often deforming features relative to their mother's lineage, but Also are natural witches. Often wind up forming a coven to support their hag parent, or are abandoned among humans to sow discord. Those foundlings who aren't killed in youth often live a respected but lonesome life as wise women and lay healers

(don't have a name yet)
Male children of the union of Bagmen (male equivalent of a hag) and a human. Always unnaturally large and burly, often with monstrous features that exceed their fathers, (whatever)s that survive to adulthood often find home in mercenary companies, barbarian tribes, or adventuring parties, where their heritage is often ignored in favor of the monstrous strength they bring to bear
>>
>>44288290
Pilgrims
Strange, vaguely golem like beings born of the mixture of dirt/stone/ etc and divine ichor oozing up from the bodies of the Old Gods. Come in a variety of temperaments and power sets depending in their primordial "parent", but nearly all are supernaturally tough and natural conduits/batteries of magic. Feed on energies of various types, and it's thought that they exist as an attempt by the Gods to harvest enough power to begin resurrecting themselves.

Serpari
Clusters of symbiotic(some would say parasitic) snakes that can occupy the bodies of other creatures, and indeed must do so to reproduce. Despite this, and their origin as a creation of a dark elf snake cult, the Serpari are a generally good people, with penchant for seeking wisdom and a strong distaste for tyranny. Cabals of them often exist in secret among large, oppressive societies, where they assume positions of prominence to subvert and destroy them from within

Somnia
Colorful, sea slug like beings originally from the Sea of Engrams. A race of philosophers first, artists second, therapists third, and fighters basically never, the Somnia are a gentle, fragile race of empaths and oneiromancers due to essentially originating in the realm of dreams and emotions. Claim to be kin to Old Ones, Nightmare leviathans, and other creatures of madness, but are generally some of the nicest dudes around
>>
>>44288310
Poppets
Constructs and playthings of the Fair Folk, and distant cousin/prototype of the elves. Their bodies are woven out of gossamer and highly mutable, but always garishly colorful and frail looking. They dwell in small insular communities on the outskirts of elven dominated regions, or occasionally in caravans who's passing is dreaded by nearly all, for while a Poppet's personality may range from childlike whimsy and caprice to amoral anarchy, they ultimately are beings of chaos and discord with a great difficulty in regarding the feelings or even life of others

Serberoi
Also called gravewardens or black choirs, Serberoi are dead bodies animated by a collective of underworld spirits. Serberoi are occasionally mistaken for zombies, in the plural, because a single gravewarden can occupy multiple bodies at once. Serberoi are generally peaceful, but are near universally devoted to a being called The Dragon Below, an Old God associated with death, earth, magic, and transformation/transitions. As such, they take grave offense to the violation or desecration of the dead, and are rabid enemies of necromancy in all its forms. Its ironic, then, that their ability to inhabit dead bodies often gets them associated with or even branded necromancers
>>
File: poppet.png (57 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
poppet.png
57 KB, 190x265
>>44288330
>Poppets
>>
>>44283874
It's kind if hard to not do that with your traditional fantasy races, who tend to be extremely human in physiology, and are pretty much just stereotyped members of a specific culture.
>>
>>44229488
My thing is divided into 3 things
>Humans
>Troglodytes
>Demons n' shit

>Humans
Based on Lamarck's theory of evolution: You were born regular, but you take on "elvish" or "dwarvish" traits based on what you do with your life
>Students of magic would become frailer over time due to spending less time on the material plane, ears develop points that can better decipher old tongues
>Blacksmiths and the like would become more squat to avoid bending, as well as obscene muscle mass so they can whack shit all day
>In order to stay regular, you had to be either 1) Boring (Farmers/Commoners), 2) Exposed to equal amounts of magics and physical labor (Arcane Tricksters/Bards/Clerics), or 3) A cultist
Regardless, every true human has at least a little magic in them, different elements are better for different lifestyles.

>Troglodytes
Have no magic in them at all. The only chance for them to have any spellcasting is if they breed with a 100% elf (Which makes Drow) or through weird rituals and blood magic. The name was given to them by humans, to sorta reinforce the idea that they were inferior, but they're not all a bunch of drooling cannibals, they're mostly just really, really, bland. Or Doppelgangers.

Then there's demons and shit. A.K.A. my excuse for anything other than humans and subhumans in the campaign. Whether it be an Elf mage using dark magic to bring Scarecrows to life as farmers, or a Trog fucking around with blood magic and opening a portal into hell, or even a bunch of cultists talking about divines and shit, threatening destruction from on high by angels or whatever. Basically, anything that isn't human or sub-human, is a demon.
>>
>>44274244
>They got fucked by God (modified version of Pelor) for dabbling in necromancy according to legend but in reality it was for exposing his nature as a Lovecraftian

>Well the truth is pretty well suppressed,
So.... they're royally fucked over... but they're a major race... "who have minds and agency.".... And they just don't feel like telling anyone about this again?

Were they all mind-wiped? I mean, they were cursed into being SKELETONS. It's on the same level of choo-choo-forced-plot.

Do they not DIE? I mean, are there skeleton babies?
>>
>>44291020
You could then limit humans as much as you limit the nonhumans, though. Or make the nonhumans stereotyped members of a specific region and have different cultures accordingly.

For instance, you could start with "Asian elves" and end up with warring Chinese and Japanese cultures of high elves, Indian and Myanmar wood elf cultures, and Cambodian and Thai drow cultures.
>>
>>44297515
Well yeah, but at that point what makes them elves, as opposed to just some waifish, magical asians?
>>
>>44297528
What made them elves before, as opposed to just some waifish, magical members of whatever single culture they had been stereotyped from previously?
>>
>>44297561
That's my point. Elveness is a vague, nebulous thing, a particular set of aesthetics and behaviors, and a few minor physical features.
>>
>>44297578
Then make it more than that.
>>
A race of shelled cephalopods with strong work ethic and a cultural built around craftsmanship and metallurgy because they carve and fabricate their own shells.

Nomadic lizard people who tattoo their life history on their frills .

A sentient lake. One in a trillion chance arranged the convection currents in the lake to arrange themselves in just the perfect way so that they act like logic gates,
>>
File: 3.jpg (244 KB, 1456x1049) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
244 KB, 1456x1049
Humans make up for at least 95% of all inhabitants of my world, existing in hundreds of different ethnicities and flavors. Non-human (or not-quite-human, to be more precise) races are mostly a rarity, but some can be seen.

"The Tall Ones", sometimes referred to as "The Meek Giants" look like humans suffering from gigantism. With the average height around 2.5 meter, The Tall Ones are physically considerably stronger than normal humans, but their slower metabolism, cautious nature and relative frailty makes them lousy warriors. They once used to inhabit their own kingdom, and developed rather sophisticated culture, with religion based on worship of stars, but eventually fell victim to aggressive expansion of neighbouring countries. Nowdays, majority of them live as slaves and barely show signs of human intelligence. Rest of them are dispersed around the world, living in tight communities in cities and towns. The Tall Ones are usually deemed considerably dumber than humans thanks to their uncanny expression and slow reactions (caused by their slow metabolism), though in reality, the opposite is true: while they wary in character and traits as much as humans do, on average they have greater propensity to analytical, logical and mathematical excellence.

The Old Ones are an ongoing mystery of the world. The theory is that they were once humans, who found a way to achieve near immortality. They can be occasionally found deep in ancient ruins or hidding in caves, resembling dried up husks or mummies of humans. It seems that majority of them lost the ability, or will, to even acknowledge the reality that surrounds them. Some of them, however, still seem to show some signs of conscious life and awareness.

"Mermaids" are odd naval mammals that seem to be capable of complex social life and tool use, though the degree to which they are sentient is questionable. Inhabiting the coastal waters, they are known to sometimes cooperate with fisherman tribes.
>>
File: 21572.jpg (388 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
21572.jpg
388 KB, 1600x1600
>>44242894
>>
>>44294678
The majority were sunken with Rome and the surrounding provinces, the surviving members are from the eastern provinces and the local Muslims don't know who exactly they are, much less care about their claims about a foreign god. Naval travel through the Mediterranean is effectively imposdible because of the huge, eternal storm over Italy. At the start of the campaign even the overland route has stopped because a magocracy now controls the southeast. On top of that the upper echelons of the Church know about it and actively suppress the information.
>>
>Humans
Humans are the Gods' (current) chosen people. All currently existing civilized races, no matter how different they seem, evolved from humans. The only humans that stayed human are those who do not get settled into locales. Humans are conquerors, vagabonds, and explorers. They are typically quick, sharp, and very adaptable, however exceptions exist.

>Dwarves
Dwarves are the humans who went into caves. They grew pale from hiding from the sun. Their small but wide stature was a side-effect of the early days of their civilization, where the small people were the best at fitting through nooks and crannies in cave systems. Humans only know of the dwarves who like humans; the dwarves who hate them have already dug themselves too deep to be known to even other dwarves. They are inventors, builders, and craftsmen. They are warm and jolly, except for when they're not, but they always enjoy a little bit of permanence in their life.

>Elves
Are a piece of Dwarven folklore, a metaphor for perfection and how it creates stagnation where life becomes pointless as there's nothing left to achieve. They do not exist.

>Half Giants
Before humanity was dominant, there were giants who used humans as slaves. Humans escaped their captivity, and the giants died out. Half-giants were humans who were in awe of their might and wanted to be like them. They are tall in height and strong, but their width is not proportional, making them especially frail. They are politicians, shamans, and archaeologists. They are exceptionally quiet, even when exceptionally furious, much like how the Giants once were.
>>
>>44300805
>Gnomes
Gnomes are those who felt so angry at the Giants for their enslavement, they desired to become everything they weren't; most particularly, short. They bred monsters to dwell within the forest between the human lands and the ancient land of the giants in order to cut off anyone from going there and finding their things fascinating. They are also eternally at war with the half-giants. They wear pointy hats so the half-giants won't step on them. They are barbarians, eugenicists, and hunters. Most of the time a gnome is frustrated, but a gnome cannot fake joy; their smiles could not be more genuine.

>Tiefs
Born of the person who personally exterminated the giants. They have horns, they have strength, and they have size, but they don't have dedication to live. The few that do have to hold their society together. They are shamblers, ramblers, and the perfect drones. They fear commitment, but many feel no purpose in life, so they presume nothing is lost in death.
>>
File: ksbdcoverchapter1.jpg (430 KB, 750x1120) Image search: [Google]
ksbdcoverchapter1.jpg
430 KB, 750x1120
>>44272593

looks like something from ksbd, i like the visuals.
>>
>>44229488
>Elves
Degenerates who dwell in forests and masters of magic. Most of the time they appear as elegant people with style, but all of them tend to harbor a certain sort of psychopathic and hypocritical mindset and live double lives.
>Orcs
Vikings essentially, tribal warriors that excel at long distance traveling and exploration of unknown lands. Most warlike and militant race second to the Centaurs.
>Centaurs
Mongols doing what Mongolians do, currently locked in a war with the Holy Empire of Men.
>Dwarves, Goblins, Cyclops
Scots, Irishmen, and Slavs that make up the Nordic Union. Possesses the technology and military might that is equivalent to Imperial Japan but prefers to keep it to themselves. Considers all other nations "uncivilized 3rd world countries that don't deserve attention" while getting drunk off their asses everyday.
>Dragons
With immense wealth they act as Lords of minor kingdoms, providing safety to its inhabitants in exchange with annual tributes. It is every Dragon's dream to seize the wealth of the Nordic Union but all eventually come to the realization that the country's technology is way out of their league and lament the fact that the age of their kind has gone and will never return.
>>
File: 1444069138029[1].jpg (74 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
1444069138029[1].jpg
74 KB, 300x231
Every Sapient creature is a Humanoid with diffrent skin/hair color.

Everything else is just a variant of what we have here on earth or standard fantasy shit like Dragons and Demons.

Yes, fun should be outlawed.
>>
>>44293883
I like the idea of Lamarckian evolution. Do those acquired traits pass on to their children or are they "reset"? I'm also a sucker for different races being transformed versions of each other in general.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.