[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 1450999676996.jpg (281 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1450999676996.jpg
281 KB, 1024x768
>Rules databases

https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V6.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

Chaosmas edition 2.0
>>
What are the most and least fluffy units for Salamanders ?

Any advise what should units should I get first if I wanted to start playing them ?
>>
>>44376411
tacticals in drop pods with flamers
>>
>>44376411
>Most Fluffy
Anything that's Flamer/Melta based. Armor is good too, but as a supporting role, not balls to the wall like Iron Hands. Like your pic, they love them some Terminators.
>Least Fluffy
Now I'm not a Sallies expert, but I don't actually think there are any particularly unfluffy units. You don't see a lot of Bikes or Assault Marines in the green and black though.
>Starting units
>>44376424
>>
>>44376467
>bikes and jump packs

as i recall their home world is terrain heavy and higher gravity so those units aren't used often if ever. they should be recovered enough to field units of terms though
>>
File: ashmantle.jpg (165 KB, 403x550) Image search: [Google]
ashmantle.jpg
165 KB, 403x550
>>44376411
Salamanders cannot into landspeeders and to a lesser extent bikes and jump units. Nocturne has very harsh gravity and earthquakes due to its moon being a bit fucked, so training is near impossible. They either can't fly or fly away.

For fluffy units, firedrakes are still used by the salamanders as a sort of honour guard. You can field them simply with regular TH/SS terminators, but the kit that FW sells is sweet.

Plus ASHMANTLE is easily the coolest dread around. Byork or whatever that yiffy loser is called pales in comparison.
>put his claws together and shoot out a melta kamehameha
>heavy flamer everyone in base contact with him
>kewl model
>>
>>44376411
>most
Ornate units with high grade gear and things that burn. Melta, plasma, artificer armor, combi-weapons, the works.
>least
Speeders and bikes, in that order. They will, however, use true flyers like thunder*things* and such.
>first units
2 troops and an hq, always. Get firm grounding to an army before getting toys.
>>44376525
Ashmantle should be a fucking Contemptor. Would be glorious.
>>
>>44376424
Don't you want Tacticals on the ground taking objectives while Dreads, combi-melta Sternguards and double flamer Assault Marines do the drop poding ?
>>
>>44376689
I'm sorry, I didn't hear a caestus screaming overhead, crashing at afterburner speed into something that is now paste, then kicking out 9 thunderhammer terminators with He'Stan leading them to slap someone's shit sideways and backwards.
>>
>>44376525
Just looked this guy up, he sounds absolutely incredible!
>Lol hi there lance
>Lol hi there melta
>Lol hi there rending
>Lol hi there entropic strike
>>
How's the Talon Strike Force? Seems like a nice fluffy way to play Ravengaurd similar to the white scar strike force. However no one seems to be talking about it just the White scar formation.
>>
>>44376795
it's almost like the ravenguard formation is extra sneaky

>>44376689
actually what i want is to paint up 3-10 miniatures today and watch starwars but that's neither here nor there.

as for what's fluffy for salamanders you are right. i suppose just about anything with fire or melta is good for them, not sure about vehicles or the thunderfire cannon.
>>
File: Box.jpg (41 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
Box.jpg
41 KB, 600x620
any guides on how to build a case to transport models?

or would i be better off just buying one from somewhere?
>>
File: BAopHne.png (54 KB, 315x320) Image search: [Google]
BAopHne.png
54 KB, 315x320
>>44376777
Anon plz, I'm at my folks, don't talk so dirty
>>
>>44376852
How big is your army? A deep toolbox and some magnets on the bases of your minis to stick them to the sides is the best way of transporting models without any chance of damage to the paintjob or model itself.
>>
What do you guys think of this 1850 points Imperial list? One of the librarians is going with the centurions (Going telepathy if i want to be a dick, divination/telekinesis otherwise) while the other will Divine the plasma veterans.
++ Astra Militarum: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) (880pts) ++

+ HQ (430pts) +

Tank Commander (430pts)
··Command Punisher [2x Heavy Bolter, Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Knight Commander Pask]
··Executioner [2x Plasma Cannons, Lascannon]

+ Troops (320pts) +

Veterans (145pts) [Flak Armour for Squad, 3x Veteran w/ Flamer, 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun]
··Chimera [Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser]
··Veteran Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

Veterans (175pts) [Flak Armour for Squad, 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun, 3x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun]
··Chimera [Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser]
··Veteran Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

+ Heavy Support (130pts) +

Wyvern Battery (130pts)
··Wyvern [Heavy Bolter]
··Wyvern [Heavy Bolter]

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Combined Arms Detachment) (970pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

Chapter Tactics * [Ultramarines]

+ HQ (265pts) +

Chief Librarian Tigurius (165pts)

Librarian (100pts) [Mastery Level 2]
··Power Armour [Compi-plasma, Force Stave]

+ Troops (315pts) +

Scout Squad (70pts) [Camo Cloaks, 4x Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle]
··Scout Sergeant [Bolt Pistol, Sniper Rifle]

Tactical Squad (245pts) [Multi-melta, Plasma Gun, 9x Space Marines]
··Drop Pod [Storm Bolter]
··Veteran Sergeant [Combi-melta, Power Fist]

+ Fast Attack (150pts) +

Drop Pod (35pts) [Storm Bolter]

Stormtalon Gunship (115pts) [Skyhammer Missle Launcher]

+ Heavy Support (240pts) +

Centurion Devastator Squad (240pts)
··Centurion [Grav-cannon and Grav-amp, Hurrican Bolter]
>>
>>44376873
You like it, you dirty little slut <3
>>
>>44376852
>foam, knife, suitcase (cheap plastic one will do)
>cut holes in the foam roughly the size and shape of models you mean to transport
>???
>PROFIT
>>
File: 1338387-goldensanguinius.jpg (25 KB, 255x331) Image search: [Google]
1338387-goldensanguinius.jpg
25 KB, 255x331
Happy Sanguinius Day, /tg/!
>>
>>44376891
Standard tournament list, honestly.
Seen it in a few variations, stock and boring.
Unless you are taking this to a tourny, then you should tone it down.
What else...
>giving flak vets flamers
>>
>>44376880
About 28 marines, 6 termis, 4 dreads, 2 rhinos and a land raider
>>
>>44376891
if you use an ultramarine character you have to use the ultramarine chapter traits bro, curtains have to match the drapes. boring tourny list otherwise your shooting is strong, psychic levels are alright but you won't be beating summoning spam, you lack a cqc unit but it's not that big of a deal. i would drop the sponsons on the executioner and give them to pask as heavy bolters.

>>44376852
well i use 2 model transport boxes with foam. i think if you wanted to save some time you just need some decent foam, i got model foam big enough for my bloodthrister at $30/20. as for the case i'm not sure, perhaps a tackle box.
>>
>>44376958
Yeah that should work fine for the infantry. If you a block of pluck foam for the vehicles and stick it in the base that'll cover everything.
>>
Who was the Newcron lord that abducted a Space Marine and some IIRC Eldar? He sat them down to a big feast to watch them enjoy food because he no longer could and the SM and Xeno had to team up to escape
>>
>>44376980
Bot plasmutioner and paskisher have spoonsoons.
>>44376955
Meh, It's the list of the stuff i bought for christmas (Work bonus+tax refund) i knew it would've been ok but didn't expect it to be on tournament levels. I'm new in town and I don`t want to scoff people off too much :S
>>
I'm finally making my own space marine chapter, but can't decide on the name. I plan on running a wire from the right pauldron directly to the gun, which 'carries' their own blood to fuel the ammunition they shoot. Any ideas?
>>
File: 40kfile.png (11 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
40kfile.png
11 KB, 800x600
>>44377134
That sounds disgusting and downright heretical
>>
>>44377166
A little bit of heresy never hurts ;)
>>
>>44377081
Look, broski, you sound like you are being on the level, so here is the kno'wuts.
You run the risk of showing up and getting yourself labeled a netlisting fagotron with this, because it honestly is basically a netlist.
Go fluffy first, and keep this list on the backburner until you know you need to deal with Crons, Eldar, gravmarines or MC Tauhammer.
>>
>>44377069
anyone? halp plox
>>
>>44377220
Just making sure you realise that it's still Christmas most places in the world and there's only been 13 posters ITT other than you and me right now. Don't expect an answer for a while.
>>
>>44377134
So reverse Blood Angels?
>>
>>44377081
okay, so drop the plasma cannon sponsons. plasma is risky, you're already playing a dice game but there are safer bets. then again i play chaos daemons and i thrive on random
>>
>>44377260
I guess they are in a way. Blood Angels tend to drink the blood of their enemies, while my edgy little chapter would hurl their own instead.
>>
>>44377341
Its certainly one of the weirder mutations. Even weirder than the Black Dragons and their Boneswords. It also doesn't sound very useful unless their blood is also poisonous, except Space marines can also already spit poison, so it would even be that beneficial.
>>
>>44377375
>poison bolters
>3+
>crying deldar
>>
>>44377375
Never heard of the Black Dragons before, they look interesting. I guess they could have poisonous blood, but I plan on making my chapter mostly plasma based, because I like how plasma weapons look.
>>
>>44377341
>hurling their DNA at tyranids

yeah that sounds like a great idea

>>44377375
is that still canon? I haven't ever read anything with marines using their spit as a weapon. Also thought it didn't work in most chapters like the Fists
>>
>>44376330
Is it okay to use Imperial Guard Sentinels as a proxies for my Skitarii Ballistarii? Would the size cause most people to get mad? I just cant into ballistarii for my army, and the sentinels would look better paired with my dune-crawlers I think.
>>
>>44376852

I sprung about 250 for battlefoam and I've been really happy with it.

Looked into buying or building a carrying case, had some success with building but in the end I had spent about 50 dollars on something I wasn't really happy with and rather than keep experimenting I just bought the smaller cube case, which holds 1850 of bikes, speeders, and terminators. I have an old Citadel briefcase for infantry.

>>44376891
Give your tanks Camo for the cover save.

Not a huge fan of sniper scouts but can be okay as objective campers to plink away at things that can't shoot back. I've had better luck with bolters and a heavy bolter as it hits harder against most things.

I would run a squad of sternguard with combi-meltas and throw the librarian in there for rerolls, tiggy goes with your devcents.

>>44377134
Why wouldn't you just put blood on the shells before shooting them?

I mean, you can't inject blood into the chamber without fouling it, never mind that exsanguinating yourself isn't great way to be effective in combat.

>>44377432

>Plasma Based
>Not using DA

>>44377445
It doesn't come up that often, but once in a while they will use it to melt something or spit on an opponents eyes to blind them while grappling.
>>
>>44377445
>is that still canon? I
Yes. Most chapters have belchers glands, it's only very few like the fists that don't
>>
>>44377269
>>44377184
With prederred enemy and\or Divination there isn't much to risk with the plasmas.

The problem with "Going Fluffy" is that i don't really want to go but other stuff just to tone it down. I'll warn My opponent before the game and if he's playing crap i'll ask him if he's ok with me proxing to tone it down a notch (grenade launchers For the veterans, some other Leman russes combinstion).
Sadly these are the models i have this side of the Atlantic ocean and this is what I'll have to play For a while, after playing orks For years i wanted to build myself a solid base with this new army but apparently i went directly For the other end of the spectrum.....Should've just Got ratlings like my Little voice said
>>
>>44377408

Don't forget that if the Strength is greater than enemy toughness that poison is rerollable.
>>
>>44377448
as long as you outfit them properly and maybe throw some cogs or servo skulls around i dont think anyone would mind
>>
>>44377484
Not for ranged weapons.
>>
>>44377134
i'm not sure that putting poison blood on bullets would work, wouldn't the blood evaporate from heat or fly off from the velocity? you also have to worry about become anemic if you're firing off clips
>>
I want to get a Leviathan Dreadnought, but I'm not sure how to kit it.

>>44377513
>clips

Triggered

You could put a sealed reservoir in each round that would hold it, but bolters are high explosive already.

Maybe the rounds have a longer delay in the explosion, and hit with acid blood or poison first. To represent this, all bolters are S5 AP 4 rapid fire with the gets hot! rule. Roll a one and you are out of blood.
>>
>>44377513
What if part of their gene-seed mutation was a greatly increased blood production compared to a normal space marine? No idea on the evaporation though.
>>
File: 2015-04-12 18.19.50.jpg (846 KB, 2776x1200) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-12 18.19.50.jpg
846 KB, 2776x1200
>>44377493
Well, here im going to post a picture of both, so that we can have a better idea.
>>
>>44377069
Nemesor Zandrek. He captured Korsarro Khan and Illic Nightspear. They teamed up and escaped together.
>>
>>44377547
>greatly increased blood production compared to a normal space marine
wouldn't they explode?

>>44377561
thanks nigga
>>
>>44377134
This is too edgy and kinda dumb. Plz no. I don't like how many grown men are complete children and think such things are cool and okay to be proud of in public. If you wanted to make a pipe into there gun say that its mechanicus shiz and its a neural interface that lets them be one with the machine spirit or something.
>>
>>44377533
depends on what you want to do with it, obviously
its pretty flexible, storm cannons are pretty nasty especially if it comes outta a drop pod into either rear armour, or a unit of 3+ armour out of cover, and either CCW depending on what you're facing, or one drill and one claw for pure CC raep. phosphex discharger is probably a good idea if you take that build for a clearing of the drop area as well as making difficult terrain for the assholes who might want to fuck you up. grav flux bombard is really good at messing up infantry as well as light vehicles.
>>44377549
yeah i know how similar they are, i had toyed with the idea when they came out.
>>
>>44377561
Korsarro Khan risked his life to save Illic and dragged Illic unconscious body to a Tau ship and they flew to the sunset.

And Khan gave Illic a totem as token of his respect. Sometimes, Illic fondly plays with it and wishes Khan was it his side
>>
File: 4.png (18 KB, 166x151) Image search: [Google]
4.png
18 KB, 166x151
>>44377582
Yeah. They would pop if they didn't drain there blood every hour. Sounds like a pain in the ass for combat effectiveness and general operations.
>>
>>44377604
That's really cool actually.

Illic strikes me as the kind of Eldar that really doesn't act like other Eldar and is probably pretty cool to be around.
>>
Just got a set of ork Lootas/burnas for christmas. Playing against my Necron, and Ultramarine buddy. Should I make lootas, or burnas? I'm not up to date with the meta.
>>
I'm curious. What kind of player seems to attract the different factions? Are the Dark Eldars emos wearing a hood?
>>
>>44377668
Lootaz all of the day. Get some other boyz and you can kit them out with the burna parts in the future as well.
>>
>>44377586
I think after looking at the logistics and other peoples opinions, I should just drop the blood part. I still like the pipe running to the guns though. Any ideas for the chapter name/founding chapter?
>>
>>44377675
I havent recognized a pattern or stereotype other than Tau. Every Tau player Ive encountered irl is either a pre-teen, teen, or manchild.
>>
>>44377675
Most Nid/DE players I've seen were women.
Never seen a female Sisters player, or any female SM/IG player save Bangles.
Ork players are either cool as fuck or bitter grogs.
Eldar players are the most army of the month prone.
>>
File: B1KWRdiCQAE-C1t.jpg (38 KB, 514x479) Image search: [Google]
B1KWRdiCQAE-C1t.jpg
38 KB, 514x479
>>44377761
>>
>>44377697
What makes lootas so good?
>>
>>44377761
/thread

Chaos joins this boat too
>>
>>44376891
Why the plasma gun on the tactical squad instead of a meltagun?
>>
>>44377712
I hope I didnt come off as too big a dick. I expected you to fight tooth and nail for your idea but instead you are rational. I would say mechanicus or maybe its a way to keep the weapon attacked to them so that they are not lost in combat. Or maybe a form of advanced optic. Maybe a way of increasing projectile volatility by powering it from the suit.
>>
>>44377820
Long range, high strength and lods of shots. That sort of supporting fire isn't common with orks.
>>
>>44377868
Nah, I know my idea was a little edgy. You were absolutely fine. Maybe to fit in with the Mechanicus theme, have the arm replaced, or at least heavily cybernetically altered?
>>
>>44377925
That would be cool, what colors where you thinking? Have you seen metalica skitarii?
>>
>>44377820

High str, long range shots are hard to come by for orks.
>>
>>44377934
Metalica Skitarii sound pretty cool.

The colors I was thinking was having a red wire, with a metal right arm, then possibly red for the rest of the marine.
>>
File: dankmas.jpg (129 KB, 560x452) Image search: [Google]
dankmas.jpg
129 KB, 560x452
Merry Christmas /tg/!
>>
>>44377761
I've heard this on the internet constantly, and all the Tau players I know are either Oldhams or teens. so half right-meme.
>>
>>44377918
>>44377942
Also the burnaz aren't that useful against armywide 3+/4+ armor, particularly because it's not likely that those armies would try to assault
AP3 in cqc is not that bad, however
>>
I'm a Tau Player because I love robots and monsters. Necrons, Tau, Daemons and Nids for me. Thinking of getting into Mechanicus.
>>
Hunters eye + Orbital strike work together for ignore cover?
>>
>>44378023
If only they were available as weapon upgrades in boy squads.
>>
>>44377791
It's the tentacles that attracts women.

>>44377761
I just liked the fact that they weren't inherently good, they used suits and relied on their tech. I like guard too because of this.

I didn't even realize it was the weeabos army.
>>
>>44378023

Burnas in trukks getting to flame down and then charge hurts hard though

>>44378055

Yeah I suppose. My Ravenwing weeps. =( Bullshit our fleet based chapter doesn't get Orbital strikes.
>>
>>44378042
Mechanicus plays very similar to Tau, except you don't have to worry about getting assaulted.
>>
>>44378091
>Tau
>getting assaulted
>laughing fish.jpg
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 203x248) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 203x248
>>44378107
>mfw my BA friend rolls an 11 inch charge
>>
>>44378010
Tau players are either die hard oldfags that started playing them in 3rd edition and stubbornly played then even in 5th edition when they were shit or teen fags that started them in 6th or later when they became fotm bullshit.

The problem is that usually the teens outnumber the oldfags ten to one.
>>
>>44378178
I started them in 6th because I was given 4k points of them for free.
>>
>>44378178

They were so bad at launch. I remember comping him 30% extra points for upgrades just so he could get close to 50% against us. It was sad really.
>>
>>44377791
The only female player I know is a casual Ork player, Mostly because her guy friend collects them and "tiny football hooligans are cute".
>>
File: oreek.png (71 KB, 440x400) Image search: [Google]
oreek.png
71 KB, 440x400
>>44378162
>mfw they die in overwatch
>>
>>44377432
>Blood Guns
>Plasma Based

Good one
>>
Does any know what GW return policy is like from buying from FGLS?

Ive got some stuff I wanna trade in from months ago that I picked up at a random hobby store. Will GW take this for store credit?
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 600x800
>>44376330
Would Carcharodons do well in Gladius?

I mean, that's a lot of tacticals with knives. And assume my friends will let me take Tyberos in that command formation.
>>
>>44378323
99% no.

At worst you can sell them on eBay for a 10% loss.
>>
so /tg/ i want to start a guard army and found elysian appealing, but my list feels very waac to me. opponents would mostly be necrons (decurion/reclamation), orks, nids (no flyrants, yet), ultras (bc) and space yiffs.

+++ elysian (1500pts) +++

+ HQ (70pts) +

Elysian Company Command Squad (70pts) [Flak Armour, Flamer Vet, Krak Grenades for Squad, 3x Veteran w/ Lasgun]
····Company Commander [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Warlord]
(goes in vendetta)

+ Elites (110pts) +

Drop Sentinel Squadron (55pts)
····Drop Sentinel [Heavy Bolter]

Drop Sentinel Squadron (55pts)
····Drop Sentinel [Heavy Bolter]
(these hide somewhere out of LOS first turn, preferably close to objectives)

+ Troops (480pts) +

Elysian Veteran Squad (240pts) [10x Flak Armour, 3x Meltagun Vet, 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun]
····Valkyrie [2x Multiple Rocket Pods, Multi-laser]
····Veteran Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

Elysian Veteran Squad (240pts) [10x Flak Armour, 3x Meltagun Vet, 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun]
····Valkyrie [2x Multiple Rocket Pods, Multi-laser]
····Veteran Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]
(these combat drop turn 1)

+ Fast Attack (390pts) +

Imperial Navy Vendetta Squadron (130pts)
····Vendetta [2x Twin-linked Lascannons]

+ Heavy Support (450pts) +

Imperial Navy Avenger Strike Fighter (150pts)

>>
>>44378416
>guard army
>waac

ayyyyyyy
>>
>>44378416
>Imperial Navy Avenger Strike Fighter (150pts)

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>44378416
Vendettas have three twin linked lascannons.

How are the avenger strike fighters decked out?

And no, you are fine. That isn't WAAC, it's a near typical Elysian list.
>>
>>44378416

I dont think you'll have enough guns to deal with necrons and marines but you should do fine against the others.
>>
>>44378495
>How are the avenger strike fighters decked out?
s 6 AP 3 Heavy 7 main cannon and 2 lascannons, their job is to fuck over marines/destroy light vehicles.
>>
>>44378476
3 12 10 10 2
Armoured Cockpit, Defensive Heavy Stubber, Hull-mounted Avenger Bolt Cannon, 2x Wing-mounted Lascannons

Avenger Bolt Cannon
36" 6 3 Heavy 7

i know guard isnt competetive, but going massive fliers just screams faggot to me.
>>
>>44378178
/oldfag/ here
>>
File: syI8jud.gif (27 KB, 450x432) Image search: [Google]
syI8jud.gif
27 KB, 450x432
>>44378663

COOL DUDE
>>
>>44377973
Metalica are white and red
>>
File: Fire Samurai.jpg (128 KB, 262x450) Image search: [Google]
Fire Samurai.jpg
128 KB, 262x450
How viable are Tau if the biggest suits you use are Broadsides, and you use them sparingly?
>>
File: too cool.gif (461 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
too cool.gif
461 KB, 500x360
>>44378734
>you endure the shitty codexes to come out on top only for everyone to call you a lol2riptides WAAC fag.
>>
So does Khorne Daemonkin confirm that there are at least 19,173,960 Bloodthirsters, or exactly that amount? Are there thirsters who do not possess one of the 8 ranks/titles?
>>
>>44378770
How do you think the white body with the left arm and trims being red would look?
>>
Playing Grey Knights with an allied Knight Crusader, realized i have bugger-all bodies on the field. With 185 points left, should i get another Librarian and a few more special weapons, or should i get an Inquisition Detachment with three squads of acolytes+a psyker and a psyker inquisitor? Inquisition gets one more warp charge, but i'd have to get another 20 models done up in two weeks.
>>
>>44378827
Still quite viable. You might not be making any high-tier lists, but the Tau codex has plenty of strong stuff to lean on. You'll still be well off compared to most armies that ditch their strongest units.
>>
>>44378827
Fairly viable, but you'll feel the cost of those tanks.

Fire Warriors and piranhas are pretty great, but there's a reason everyone spams crisis suit and the monstrous creatures.
>>
>>44378915
I feel like Crisis Suits should be a wee bit more than 22 points a model.
>>
>>44378915
He can still use crisis
>>
>>44378944
why?
>>
>>44378946
Yeah, but "sparingly" implies he's not going to pack three full units and two commanders.
>>
>>44378944

At base 22 points, crisis suits are really meh. What makes them good is when you start stacking points on them with weapons and systems.

22 base is fine
>>
>>44378875
Inquisitor with combi-weapon and 3 squads of 10 acolytes with bolters is 185 points and would cover all your weaknesses excellently.

It would provide a huge number of cheap models with masses anti-infantry fire to to screen your grey knights and get rid of the chaff.
>>
>>44378875
If your worry is bodies then there's only really one option you have there.
>>
>>44378965
I thought he meant that broadsides are used sparingly, but anything smaller is fair game.
>>
>>44378965
>>44379020
I was gonna take maybe like, 15 Crisis Suits max. But I'm only gonna take 2 Broadsides at the most.
>>
>>44379057
*10 Crisis Suits max.
>>
>>44379057
>>44379094
That'll be more than enough. Crisis suits do good work.
>>
>>44378858
Oh for sure man.
>>
File: IMG_6056.jpg (421 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6056.jpg
421 KB, 1600x1200
I have 14 Killa Kans, I have 5Zookas, 5Rokkits, wondering if Big Shootas are worth it on the last ones.
>>
>>44379180
I'm really looking forward to painting this up! Hopefully soon I'll actually start a marine for this!
>>
>>44379154

Honestly most competitive lists don't even run crisis suits any more.
>>
>>44379187
They are not. Be a man and stick kustom mega blastas on them.
>>
>>44379201
I want to see some images posted. Should be cool. Glad your excited. Look up The forge world metalicas crest if you want to put it on there shoulders
>>
>>44379275
I plan on posting the photos!

I'll need to practice my freehanding before I'd feel comfortable even attempting to do it.
>>
>>44379230
They're still solid units that can fill a wide variety of roles nicely. Anti-tank, Anti-teq, Anti-meq, Anti-air, anti-horde, there's plenty of ways to kit them out to fill roles.
>>
>>44378875
What's your list look like right now?
>>
Does actually sinking 50 points per Riptide on Shielded Missile Drones make Riptide Spam any less awful?
>>
>>44379480
I think you have a more fundamental problem at work here, anon. Rather than trying to take handicaps to justify "riptide spam", I want to know: do you feel dirty for taking x amount of riptides?
>>
>>44379514

Well, I only have the one right now, but I'm in the middle of building a forge world one I got for Christmas and am halfway considering getting the other forge world one with some of my gift money.
>>
What if you go mostly infantry Tau? I mean no crisis suits aside from a commander, no broadsides, riptides, pirhanas, tanks etc Maybe some stealths, maybe a single ghostkeel.
>>
So I'd like to deploy a flyer in my next battle, even when a lot of players seem to hate flyers in general. Yet, players who play my army, Tau, don't seem to be too fond about our flyers. Does this balance out?
>>
>>44379596
It's not 5th anymore, no one really gives that much of a shit about flyers now.
>>
>>44378944
>22 points is too much for a weaponless, WS2, I2, A2 model who's only redeeming quality is S5.
>19 points for a Tactical Marine who has a bolter, WS4, BS4,
>>
>>44379593
>>44379593
I've got an army like that. It works out decently for me. It can't quite match up to a full mechanized Tau list, but against more average lists it does nicely.
>>
>>44379607
Don't forget the two wounds. Crisis suits are surprisingly cost effective in assaults when taken naked. A slight point increase would not be unreasonable.

What needs one more is the Riptide.
>>
>>44379627
I see, so it still is strong, but balanced in that you can field it against the lower-tier codexes like Orks and CSM without being either curbstomped nor claim a steamroll victory. You have to work for your win.
>>
>>44379596
No one will bitch about in-book Tau fliers, they will be glad you aren't using the points for other bullshit. Unless they just hate all the pre-measuring and shit, but if you want to play with flyers Tau are the least egregious balance wise.
>>
>>44379251
Why wouldn't I just take the less risky Rokkits then...
>>
>>44379658
Yeah. Its still good at shooting, but you lose a lot of durability from the larger suits. You also have some trouble with heavier armor, as you're relying on things like Rail Rifle Pathfinders, Fusion Stealth Suits, Breacher teams, or Snipers to take them out. Hordes are still easy enough to now down, although if they actually get into assault you don't have battlesuit toughness to fall back on.
>>
>>44379657
Naked crisis suits will not earn their points back unless you play absolute idiots. Make Ion accelerators a 15pt upgrade. Update the bad codeces.
>>
>>44379607
>ignoring the 2W, deep strike and jet pack
>>
>>44379712
AP2
>>
>>44379716
That sounds awesome honestly. Care to post your list? I'm really interested in that style of play and it's rare to find someone who does it I find.
>>
>>44379329

Stormsurges and Riptides do all that shit already.
>>
>>44379329
His point was that despite them being a fucking amazing unit, there are big not!walkers to do it all more efficiently.
>>
>>44379739
>>44379739
Sure. I'll post the basics, since I don't know every upgrade off-hand.

HQ - Cadre fireblade (joins a special-weapons pathfinder team)

Troops
-Kroot (sniper rounds, 1 Krootox)
-Fire warrior team (5 man, carbines)
-Breacher team (5 man)
-Drone Sentry turret

Elites
Stealth team (fusion blaster, ml & to, 2 ml drones)
Stealth Team
Ghostkeel (Ion Raker)

Fast attack
Pathfinder team (special weapons)
Pathfinder team (default)
Piranha (fusion)

Heavy Support
Drone sniper team (min)

Probably not the most optimal list, but I like everything in it. It's only around 1000 points, and I haven't quite built it up to a full 1500 yet.
>>
>>44376852
I bought one of those regular plastic boxes with a lid and handles and 2m or so of acoustic foam.

I then cut them in layers and set them in the box, works perfectly for transporting my 150+ guardsmen and tanks, spent like 20 bucks on it.
>>
>>44379762
>>44379864
And my point was that even if competitive is busy spamming hyper-efficient giant robots, that doesn't mean Crisis suits are bad.
>>
What if I make a fancy case with one of each of the three riptide variants in it, write one list around each, then open the case spin it to face my opponent and growl "choose the form of your destructor"?
>>
>>44379607
Tactical marines are 14pts.
>>
>>44377134
That sounds like something Emperor's Children would do, so I approve it
>>
>>44379966
That's really cool, man. Mine has similar stuff, special weapons and default pathfinders (MSU each cause right now I have 1 box only). Stealths and ghostkeel as well. My difference is I use a Crisis Commander and 2 Strike teams. I attach either a Fireblade to one of them or bring in Darkstrider for some shenanigans. I might get me some sniper drones in the future but I hesitate as the sets are expensive and you get so few.
>>
File: 2012-10-09 12.05.01.jpg (782 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2012-10-09 12.05.01.jpg
782 KB, 2048x1536
>>44380054
horror, the horror of facing your own death
>>
CAN SOMEONE TAKE A PICTURE OF THE TAU WEAPON CHART AND POST IT HERE?! I need to see my cheat sheet brahs. You know the little page in the back of the book. Plz and danka.
>>
File: ZuulTerrorDog1.png (4 MB, 1920x1037) Image search: [Google]
ZuulTerrorDog1.png
4 MB, 1920x1037
>>44380054

I like your style.
>>
>>44380054
Do it. I love that kind of shit-talking. Plus you get to show off your dudes. I wouldn't even get mad when it ass-blasts my 810 point Stompa off the table.
>>
>>44379657
Yeah hitting on 5s. Really effective. I guess if you're fighting guard?

I'll concede that the Riptide gets a price hike when the GC Wraith Knight does
>>
>>44380175
Or do it yourself using the mega link in the OP
>>
>>44376330

what codexes came out recently and when are we due for another?
>>
>>44380229
you right.
>>
>>44380199

5's against what? WS2-vs-WS4 is still a 4+. Only matters against WS5 or higher.
>>
File: 1448635960685.jpg (34 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1448635960685.jpg
34 KB, 640x360
>>44380199
>mfw the wraithknight gets a price and point hike

>>44380239
tau are the latest. we're suppose to get space wolves next, & chaos 40k isn't suppose to get an update in 2016
>>
>>44377586
no.....they must become edgier!

have all their swords be in combat sheathes INSIDE THEIR OWN BODIES

they mark their dead enemies BY SLITTING THEIR WRISTS

they listen to SLIPKNOT and NICKLEBACK
>>
>>44380239
Tau technically, but C:SM got a bunch of shit with the release as well.
>>
>>44380280
I heard Chaos was coming out in mid 2016. Chaos Daemons though, not Marines.
>>
>>44380289
SLIPKNOT and NICKELBACK!? THIS IS MADNESS! THIS IS HERESY! THIS IS *BLAM*
>>
>>44377791
I liked eldar back when they could turbo boost into units. I miss that especially when the one game I was forced to play lengthwise
>>
>>44380280
Space Yiffs again?! I don't actually care about them but my heart is filled with hope for a new Orkdex. I don't want much. Just make everything cheaper and come in squads.
>>
>>44379187
Also noticed on the Dread Mob pdf that Kans are still 35pts, has anyone asked FW if this is correct (because 50pts base is retarded)
>>
>>44380336
Ditto, but we probably won't be touched until 2017
>>
Should shooting into melee be allowed with a proper handicap/con in place?
>>
>>44380293
what did chaos get>?
>>
>>44380390
If there's a chance to hit your own unit maybe. Maybe hits being randomly allocated among both units.
>>
>>44380390
>>

I'd advocate, if you're gonna house rule that in, that there should be conditions where it's acceptable.

For example, not shooting a Wraithknight because there's a grot next to it's foot is fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1445136683847.png (324 KB, 498x541) Image search: [Google]
1445136683847.png
324 KB, 498x541
I have a firewarrior unit and a crisis suit, what is a good build for them to be a kill team if anyone knows. Ill be playing them tomorrow and I have yet to glue all there arms on.
>>
>>44380390
I'm not in favour of gimping melee any further personally. Even if you put in a con some factions aren't going to give a shit, like guard or whatever.
>>
>>44380273
It's double your WS right?

> inb4 Tau player not knowing the weapon skill chart
>>
>>44380458
drones
>>
>>44380471
A double +1.

WS5, 7 and 9 are the important numbers.
>>
>>44380463
more models in squad= better chance to shoot that squad
>>
>>44380488
God. Fucking. Damn it.

Well I guess I would have lost all those combats anyways, so meh.
>>
>>44380390
>should we nerf assault further?
>>
>>44380377
That's fine with me. More time to get hyped before reality strikes.
>>
>>44380390
>nerfing melee this hard.

No.
>>
>>44380496
Like I said, some factions would do it at the drop of a hat if it meant shooting those harlequins. You get me?
>>
>>44380407
>>44380416
That's what I'm talking about yeah. I like having the ability to do something more than it's particular efficiency. I think true line of sight and cover-like rules should be in effect too.

Say you have a Dreadnought in CC with a squad of chaos marines. The Forgefiend can see the Dread clearly and would be able to hit it without even endangering the marines due to the shooter and the target both being a fair bit taller than the marines.

When this cannot be used, roll to hit as normal: this is for hitting SOMETHING. For each hit, roll to see who gets hit. 1-3: one of your units, 4-6: the enemy unit.

-1 to your roll if you have Bulky, Very Bulky or Extremely Bulky special rules or if you have more bodies than the enemy. +1 to your roll if they are a Monstrous Creature and the other target isn't or if they have more bodies than yours.
>>
>>44380476
What about a crisis suit?
>>
>>44380572
You're making an already rule heavy game harder.
>>
>>44380496
I was just saying how melee horde armies needed to be nerfed harder.
>>
>>44380598
Yeah well I don't mind that and it's just passing the time at 2am and I can't sleep. It's just a thought exercise.
>>
>>44380572
>Huh, those fire warriors are going to die next turn anyway. I'm going to empty my entire army's worth of shooting into that squad and kill those melee troops. I'll kill my own dudes, but if it means those vanguard veterans won't survive then I say it's worth it.

That's why it wouldn't work.
>>
Are skitarii underwhelming on their own, or do they need allies?
>>
>>44380616
At some point you just have to stop and realize it's just a game and making more rules to fit "reality" is actually going to make it worse overall.

I agree some armies should do it like Guard, Orks and Tyranids though. I guess Chaos too.
>>
>>44380618
>Making realistic tactical choices like any real-life commander would in a wargame is bad.
Quite frankly I agree with you but you see how silly it is? 40k in general needs to be remade from the ground up to be less reliant on stupid pay-2-win bullshit and more on movement, environment control and all that stuff.
>>
>>44380649
Yes. It would make the game worse so it is bad.
>>
>>44380643
Ive been doing pretty good with them. Drop pods will fuck your shit. Your armor will always be shot before you can shoot it, and never take the rangers 60' tank killing gun, because it doesnt kill tanks. It cant even pin the back of a dreadnought. Vanguard are a large part of your force, I recommend plasma, but I have never ran ARC rifles. Allies should be those that give your skitarii armored vehicles for movement.
>>
>>44380647
Maybe introduce it as a rule for some special character like that general who throws conscripts at anything and hopes he wins.
>>
>>44380496
It makes sense but I could see a Dread running into a boy mob to lock it down and annihilate it in shooting, just gives shooting armies more power
>>
>>44380649
I too would like an epic 40k. Complexity and realism aren't inherent goods.
>>
>>44380680
Inquisitor Chairman already has two orbital strikes with that special rule.
>>
>>44380649
I know what you mean. But I think it would hurt melee too much, to the point where melee would literally become unplayable, as opposed to the uphill struggle it is now.

>>44380680
I believe an inquisitor and renegades and heretics are the only ones able to do it.
>>
>>44380705
>>44380700
>>44380691
Fair enough, I'm corrected then. How do we make melee more viable then? Is it purely reliant on individual special rules like better movement, move through cover, fleet and all that or can something universal be done to help? Apart from getting rid of random charges and making them a guaranteed 12" again.
>>
>>44380390

Says the shooting player, who is probably a shitty player
>>
>>44380746
Personally? Assault from outflank, more accessible ways to deny overwatch (but not to the point of saturation) and more reliable charges.

Any more than that and we would return to fifth edition levels of dumb.
>>
>>44380803
Oh and flying monstrous creatures can deepstrike in gliding.
>>
>>44380585
but anon.....they get drones

and so do firewarriors
>>
>>44379978

And the original point was theyre not even good enough to make the cut anymore. "Not bad" isn't good enough when better options are available.

It doesn't matter what your opinion is. The facts are the best and most successful lists don't even take them. This is mostly because of the Stormsurges retarded offensive power. Before them, Tau still used Farsight rules to spam out some lone ObjSec suits, but tabling your opponent is superior to ObjSec.
>>
>>44380803
Assaulting from reserves at all would be great, and I'm not sure how insane it was but consolidating into combat (with Overwatching even if they did it the first charge phase) would be nice
>>
>>44380678
I was thinking Space Marines for rhinos, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if Infilitrators are worthwhile, or if I should just go full shooty.
>>
>>44380684
shoot while in combat is silly....shooting into combat is fine.....

as for making shooting more powerful....make important melee units more powerful
>>
>>44380893
Consolidation into combat was kind of nuts. It sounds nice but it's too far in the opposite direction imo.
>>
Would you take Shielded Missile Drones as a stand alone unit?

25 points per model for 1 wound, toughness 6, 4++ Jet Infantry. With a 2 shot BS2 S7 weapon.
>>
Why don't you get to use a pistol's profile in CC if a pistol is a CC weapon?
>>
>>44380939
>toughness 6, 4++ Jet Infantry with an autocannon
>25 points
/tg/ pls stop making rules you are not good at it
>>
>>44380901
That's dumb. Instead of making it an arms race we should just not do it.
>>
>>44380858
What weapons should I take? Im going to be fighting Space wolves. I was thinking a squad of pathfinders with a Shas'ui, 4 drones one with markerlight, then a crisis suit Shas'ui with twinlinked blaster cannons or plasma rifles.
>>
>>44380956

That's what they cost per model now.

What I'm asking is if you'd take them as a unit if they could be taken as a unit.
>>
>>44380746
I say 9+d3" (6+d6?) at least, dice are fun. Pinning on relevant weapons, general points appropriation.
>>
>>44380899
Fuck yeah infiltrators are worth it. They kill termies and calv all day. Trust me and take them with taser beat sticks and the blasters. They will serve you well.
>>
>>44380899
you'll love those crazy dome heads after a few games
>>
>>44380972

>Twin Linked

No. You take Crisis with two of the same weapon, then you marker them to hit at high BS.

In this case, potentially 4 AP2 shots per model. Or 8 5/5 shots but there are a billion ways to get S5 spam in a tau list.
>>
>>44380982
If I take that one drone net formation? Yes.
Otherwise? Sure, I run missiles crisis suits and these sound better, well not being as boring as missile-sides.
>>
Where can i find cheapo zombies, i wanna make 100 plaguezombies for the lulz.

The zombies from Necromunda would be awesome but thats not really feasible
>>
>>44380901
Didn't say anything about shooting while in combat, I know it's sad you can't sacrifice your 50pt troop choice for 100-300 point unit. At least let us be safe in combat for gods sake
>>
>>44380915
That's what I figured, just hate having to stand there for a shooting turn after the assault, then Overwatch, then the guardsmen get to hit first.
>notevenassblastedork.jpg
>>
>>44381163
I get you bro. And I mean no offence, but that seems to largely be due to the weaknesses of Orks, along with nerfed assault.
>>
>>44381037
So what if I take a missle pod and a fusion blaster? Do I fire missles all game till he closes then hit him with the melta?
>>
>>44380647
>just a game
I hate that term.

absolut casul tier
>>
>>44381186
I2 after the Furious Charge is the worst part about it, along with the Mob Rule. Oh well maybe next time
>>
>>44381214
Also, pulse rifles or the shorter ones for my fire warriors, and do I make them fire warriors or pathfinders? This is my frist time messing with tau, I have only just started 40k this month with my Adeptus Skitarii and I found this old set of Tau from 4 years ago.
>>
>>44380691
>simulationism isn't enjoyable on its own, only as a means to an end
Some people would disagree.
I am a person.
Therefore, I disagree.

QED
>>
>>44381263
New player? Pulse rifles.

Pulse Carbines are for those who have more experience in the game itself.
>>
>>44381279
I love simulations.

However their a very niche market for a reason.
>>
>>44381279
You're disagreeing with a sentiment I didn't state, so cool... I guess?
Complexity and realism can be a boon, but they can also be a detriment. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
>>
>>44381363
I would like to be to play a simulation.

Any good ones out there?
>>
>>44381380
Make a new thread for the best answers.
>>
>>44381327
So, why would a pulse carbine ever be superior to a rifle? Those occasional 3" and the odd pinning test?
>>
>>44381398
If you're playing vs Orks and hate your opponent
>>
>>44381370
Realism (by which I mean verisimilitude or internal consistency) can be a detriment in the same way that game balance can be a detriment. Sure, if you sacrifice everything else on the altar of simulationism or balance, the game is going to suck, but "free simulationism/balance" isn't something I think anyone would turn down.
>>
>>44381380

If you want more depth, check out infinity. Rules are free online.
>>
>>44381446
ehh, OK. On that topic do people actually list-tailor unless specifically asked to (a la knight lists)?
>>
File: adeptus feelus.jpg (95 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
adeptus feelus.jpg
95 KB, 500x503
How do I stop buying armies, /tg/? At the moment I've got Imperial Fists 1st, Ultramarines Psykers, The Eight and a Mechanicus list. I want to do Black Templars now.
>>
>>44381398
Extra 3" isn't something to laugh at.

Pinning is huge.

>Oh those are nice Chaos Terminators charging my Buffmander squad, SIT THE FUCK DOWN.
>>
>>44381398
Not him but personally I never use them unless they're mandatory like on Pathfinders. I can see how they can be good if you play very aggressive non-suit infantry or, in the case of pathfinders, might be closer to the enemy than your average Tau but if you're using Pathfinders as shooty units, I don't think you're doing it right.

Tau's main schtick is that their basic guns have long range and higher strength, they're the "marksman" army. Carbines throw half that equation out the window.
>>
>>44381398

I think breacher teams have sort of coopted the only real use for carbines.

In the olden days, you couldn't move and shoot rapid fire full range. It changed a lot.
>>
>>44381482

In tournaments, you either tailor to the meta, or to spoil certain lists.

Only douches tailor in pickup games.
>>
>>44381482
No, but if I had to start playing vs Knight lists or Wraithknight lists I would have to try to
>>
File: Tau_Empire_Symbol.png (3 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
Tau_Empire_Symbol.png
3 KB, 150x150
5x Path finders, 3 ion rifles, 5 bonding knifes - 90

6x Fire Warriors, 6 Bonding Knifes - 60

4x Drones, 1 Marker Drone - 60

1x Crisis Suit, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle - 52

Total of 262.

This is my current Kill Team Tau list, I need to shave off some points, any tips on how to? These are the only models I have available so I cant swap them for steathsuits or anything crazy.
>>
>>44381499
Nice dubs but is Pinning really that big of a deal unless the target has bugger leadership like 7? I never bother using any leadership effects against anyone 9 or 10 since it's so difficult to beat they might as well be immune. Not something to rely on.
>>
File: 0.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>44381541
>ion Rifles on Pathfinders
>>
>>44381541
drop the drones and the bonding knives

kill teams are 200, right?
>>
>>44376852
I have a big one its kinda nice but its also a little akward to put shit in it sometimes if they're different sized units and whatnot
>>
>>44381398
1) Playing against a horde army where pinning is a big deal
2) In older editions you could not move and shoot the full range of a rapid fire weapon
3) You also took haywire grenades and want to be able to shoot and charge things (although it is very rare the scenario where your gun can hurt a tank, and it is worth you attempting to charge with grenades.)
4) Combi weapons that include a markerlight come with that gun variation

That is pretty much all the reasons I could think of where it would be beneficial.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.