[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roll 20
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
Roll20 thread.

I'll start the conversation:
How should GMs vet players who want to join their game?
How should players vet a GM/game that they want to join?
>>
>>44364819
>How should GMs vet players who want to join their game?
- Ask for a character concept and their past RPG experience. Nothing too complex, nice and short.
- Toss out people that go on for more than a few paragraphs, blatant That Guys, people who clearly didn't read the campaign pitch/setting info, people with poor character concepts

>How should players vet a GM/game that they want to join?
- Some setting and background info available in the LFG for all to see.
- Amount of experience DMing and RPing
>>
Fuck Roll20
>>
how do you even play in roll20? purely text? do you hang out on skype with strangers and roll actual dice on your own, separated from the rest?

is there a built-in voice/video chat?
>>
>>44369779
Most I've been in make a Skype group for chat between sessions and stand-alone voice chat. There's also browser-based voice and video using the Google Hangouts API I think? You don't need a Google account for it but it's decent as far as in-browser stuff goes.

Most systems have community-made character sheets that let you automate a lot of the processes, but rolling physical dice or rolling it in the chat work, too. There's a lot of ways of approaching it.
>>
>>44364819
I hate to give these kinds of answers, but seriously don't try and find players or GMs on this site. They are almost all terrible in one way or another and I have never had any luck with any of them. You're better off finding a group elsewhere and then joining roll20 together for a private game.
>>
>>44370127
I've had luck with several groups I've joined or made on there, ranging from okay to great (save for one pretty bad experience). It's not even that hard to find decent players on there.
>>
>>44370127
It can be pretty okay. Issue is essentially getting everyone to synch up enough. It also helps if you can poach players from campaigns you played in.
>>
File: Why so butthurt.jpg (850 KB, 1214x1239) Image search: [Google]
Why so butthurt.jpg
850 KB, 1214x1239
>>44368347
>>
>>44370127
I found an awesome group after 4 games.

So you clearly are wrong. There are good groups and GMs: you just have to start vetting them and see which ones have the same expectations of the game as you.

You probably only had shit luck with your groups.
>>
Never assume people are joking
>>
>>44364819

I always have an involved conversation with prospective players about:

1. What kind of game they're looking for
2. What kinds of games they've played in the past
3. What kind of player they'd describe themselves as

And I invite them to ask any questions of me.

Red flags during the conversation are pretty simple.

Major red flags:

Only ever played casual games
Can't seem to type coherently without spilling memes
Player is a NEET
Player starts talking about chargen when we're only getting to know each other, or god forbid, drops a 10 page backstory into my lap
Player asks nothing at all about me or the game
Player immediately talks about bringing a friend into the game without prompting

The best way you can vet players is to have them talk to you, and if they seem alright, to bring them into a group chat with the other players and WATCH LIKE A HAWK. It'll become obvious whether or not you want to GM from the group very shortly.

And if that doesn't do it, then scheduling will also shave some out(sometimes sadly, it shaves out people you want), and chargen may shave out others once it becomes obvious they're not the kind of person you can work with.

It's almost always worked for me. Though usually I end up having one last-minute join wildcard newbie in my games anyways who either turns out to be complete shit or grows to become a great player.
>>
>>44373631
>Can't seem to type coherently without spilling memes
Oh man this is so. important.
>Player immediately talks about bringing a friend into the game without prompting
This is just beyond rude. Why do people do this? Why do people LOOK FOR GM SLAVE FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS?

Just...
>>
>>44373631
>Player is a NEET
What's wrong with NEETs? Half my current group is NEETs and we've been together for almost 2 years.
>>
>>44373631
>Player asks nothing at all about me or the game

Yeah this is a big one. Whenever I have my interview with players, I try to portray it as a conversation where I am feeling out the player and they, likewise, should be feeling me out as a GM.

If they don't bother asking questions, I know they're not really interesting in interacting or getting involved, which is pretty much poison for any p&p game.

Really, just trying to have a relatively casual conversation about pen and paper games with a player will tell you whether they're suited to your game or not. If people drop their spaghetti and can't hold a simple back-and-forth conversation, they're not going to be a worthwhile player.
>>
>>44376049

The NEET is unreliable since they could get a job or exit NEETdom at any second.
>>
>>44376064
>Really, just trying to have a relatively casual conversation about pen and paper games with a player will tell you whether they're suited to your game or not. If people drop their spaghetti and can't hold a simple back-and-forth conversation, they're not going to be a worthwhile player.
I feel like I got into many games I was hopelessly outskilled in by the rest simply because I'm extremely comfortable at bullshitting my way through a conversation but kinda screw up RP since I over-think my characters when doing voice.
>>
File: 1446947629792.jpg (234 KB, 704x1009) Image search: [Google]
1446947629792.jpg
234 KB, 704x1009
>How should GMs vet players who want to join their game?

Ask questions to make sure that they actually care. I made the mistake of just letting any dork in, only for them to disappear a couple of sessions later. By adding a couple of basic questions to screen players (What kind of character do you plan on running, what do you want to see in this campaign) I was able to get some really swell guys who actually cared. If someone takes the time to write out a few paragraphs rather than just saying "i want to play plox", they are probably a better candidate.
Being picky is a good thing, especially when you are running a highly demanded system.

>How should players vet a GM/game that they want to join?
Yes, the player has every right to do so. They should ask what the campaign focuses on to determine whether it is right for them. Besides basic questions (Are we allowed to do X during character creation, would this concept be OK) they should make sure that the game is the type they want.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.