[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Halp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
The other day I saw in a wip thread that the best way to remove old paint from a model is with non-acetone nail polish remover, is there any specific process that works best?
>>
Im glad you asked. The best way is to put the mini in the nail polish remover.
>>
File: 1443884141633.jpg (28 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1443884141633.jpg
28 KB, 480x640
>>44363339
this
>>
>>44363339
>>44363370
Fuck Off.

>>44362583
OP, you'll want to use something along the lines of Simple Green, Castrol Super Clean (an autoparts degreaser) or non-acetone nail polish remover. Acetone (a key component of nail polish remover) will destroy plastic minis, but is fine for use on metal minis (minis their plastic bases). I typically use CSC and let both plastic and metal minis soak in a glass jar of the stuff. It's ok to leave plastic minis in CSC for very long periods without harming the plastic. You will want to use rubber gloves, eye protection, and an old tooth brush to scrub the minis and rinse off any remaining paint and residue. CSC will de-bond super glue joins, but won't harm epoxy, resin, or green stuff work.
>>
>>44362583
Make sure it's ethyl acetate based. Use gloves, eye pro. Pour some in bowl, hold mini over bowl, dip toothbrush into non-acetone nail polish remover, scrub. Keep dipping toothbrush in bowl, making sure you get fresh nail polish remover on the mini, otherwise it will gunk up with paint and not work very well.

The effectiveness of this depends vastly on the material of the model, and has a chance to melt them still. I've used it plenty of GW plastics, but if you go for more than a minute or so it can still start melting your shit. Submerging your minis in it will destroy them.

Also certain brands seem to work better than others despite having same ingredients, I guess amounts are different. Sunflower is the most effective brand I've tried. Degreasers like Simple Green are a shitty meme and do not work well, you're better off just buying new models instead of trying to strip with that garbage.
>>
File: johnny_flock.jpg (176 KB, 953x1280) Image search: [Google]
johnny_flock.jpg
176 KB, 953x1280
>>44362583
>The other day I saw in a wip thread

Like here? >>44342622

Get yourself a small short glass jar. The kind that small quantities of salsa come in, as Nigel Stillman would say, are ideal.

Pour your non-acetone nail polish remover in there. The stuff costs less than two dollars, so don't worry about using too much.

Get yourself a red Solo cup, and fill it with tap water.

Submerge the model in the remover. You may have to hold it down, but the less time this stuff spends on your skin, the better. Plus, you can't leave your plastic models in it for very long, either.

Pull the model out, and start scrubbing on it with an old toothbrush. Nail polish remover is highly volatile, so you may need to dip your toothbrush back into the jar a couple of times to slather more on as you work. Dip and scrub as necessary until you get off as much of the offending paint as you can.

Once you are satisfied with the amount of paint you have removed, submerge your model in the cup of tap water. Alternatively, you may run them under the tap, but if you're working on several models at once, it's a pain to have to stop working and do this with each model. I usually only go to the tap *after* I am done with *all* the models I'm working on in that session, which is what resulted in this (>>44343112) picture.
>>
>>44362583
If in the UK, use Dettol, the plain brown stuff not any of the fancy scented crap.
There's probably something else, I have a feeling the active ingredient that works is available cheaply in something else (not that Dettol is expensive) but Dettol has always done alright by me. Can leave stuff soaking in it for just a few hours and you'll start getting results.

Doesn't harm plastic models. Do use warm water, a toothbrush/some sort of hard plastic pick for getting out the difficult bits, and probably wear a dust mask and keep the windows open when using it to avoid inhaling the spray created when cleaning stuff because it is a disinfectant after all.
>>
I've found that rubbing alcohol also works really well and doesn't harm plastic. A 30 minute soak is more than enough to get even the most stubborn paint jobs of. I read it's actually the alcohol in Simple Green that helps it strip paint so well. The downside of using rubbing alcohol is that can really dry out the skin and is also highly flammable. But just don't be an idiot and it should work.
>>
Here's a heads up OP, no matter what product you buy test it out on a piece of sprue or similar first.

You don't want to get a nasty surprise.
>>
>>44364289
I use CSC and it works really well on plastic, metal, and resin. Do wear all the protection this anon suggests because the chemical burns from CSC are not fun at all. Don't use latex gloves though as CSC will eat through them, you want nitrile gloves instead. I got a pack of 100 at Wal-mart for cheap. Also CSC is just branded as "Super Clean" these days, they dropped the Castrol brand name for some reason.
>>
>>44364289
>Fuck off

How about you and OP fuck off? We don't need threads on this board asking "how do I dip things in things?" and "how do I rub things on things?"

Use Google you stupid underaged niggers.
>>
File: 1426792716840.png (198 KB, 301x312) Image search: [Google]
1426792716840.png
198 KB, 301x312
>>44367613
>We don't want threads asking legitimate questions about a /tg/ related pastime.
>>
>>44367745

The entire point of that post was that it wasn't a legitimate question.

>wanting stupid questions that could easily be googled to spam up the board
>in their own threads no less instead of a general

To what end?
>>
>>44362583
99% IPA overnight. Works best and affects paint only.
>>
>>44365716
Thanks, didn't know they shortened the name. And I've had great results using Super Clean on minis as well. I've stripped metal, plastic, and resin minis with it with zero damage to the minis. And it's even cleaned some nigh bullet-proof Testors model car enamel paints off of decades old minis. The fact I can leave plastics floating around in it for ages without harm to the plastic is a bonus.

>>44367963
>To what end?

To end up with more useful contributors and fewer whiny cunts like you.
>>
>>44362583
>I saw in a wip thread
Then why the fuck didn't you post your dumbass question in the WIP General?
>>
>>44368724
>how does i do thing
>"useful contribution"

Haha.

>cunt

Oh, that explains why you're so retarded. How's it going in the land that can't sell rubbing alcohol cause you morons will actually drink it?
>>
>>44362583
Lurk more or drink it.
Flip a coin or some shit, to decide which.
>>
>>44369046
>How do I flip a coin?
>What coin should I use?
>>
>>44369076
just fucking throw the coin somewhere
observe what side lands facing up
use any coin with two sides that you can tell apart.

Yannow what, just drink the shit...
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.