[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Small Catfolk Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 1435476066559.jpg (752 KB, 800x1005) Image search: [Google]
1435476066559.jpg
752 KB, 800x1005
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What campaign ideas do you have mulling around, /5eg/?
>>
>>44327919

I've always loved Eberron, but never really got a chance to play in it. I ran a 3.5 game once back in the day, but it didn't last too long.

I'm curious to see how well it'll mesh into 5e's milieu.

5e emphasizes magic item rarity, as opposed to the more commonplace magic of 3e, but this might actually increase the importance of the Dragonmarks - in 3e they have you a few SLAs; handy but nothing a few scrolls couldn't handle or a full caster couldn't blow out of the water.

The manufacture of Warforged may be more important in a world where powerful character aren't essentially invulnerable to low-level mooks.
>>
>>44328104
So long as you get away from 3.5e's focus on numerical bonuses on gear, I think 5e could handle a setting like Eberron fairly well. Characters just end up having more versatility and doodads compared to standard 5e, which leads to interesting playstyles in itself.
>>
So if my setting makes use of Witcher series-like oils and potions, and the party needs to be prepared to take on monsters, would it be silly for oils to imbue similar effects to spellcasters if they slather their foci/holy symbols in oil as well?

I'm having a hard time coming up with an analogue for spellcasters.
>>
>>44327919
>What campaign ideas do you have mulling around, /5eg/?
My first campaign as DM. PCs walk into the capital of the Halfling Confederation on there way to a major country. The capital is throwing a festival on the ascension of a human to the throne after the senate's approval of their efforts in ending the recent war with the other steppe tribes.
There's also a notice for solving the ritualistic murders of peasants in the western villages with a strangely high reward.
At the village and after some shenanigans, the party will learn a legend about the local priest going crazy, gouging out his eyes, and fleeing into the surrounding woods coinciding with a well known volcanic eruption. The guards of the town speculate that the murderer is copying this legend, as he steals his victim's eyes.
Players eventually find out a cult of Humans and goblins are committing the acts to summon up a lesser demon.
The demon is actually a saint-like figure trying to regain her physical form and reestablish her order of holy knights to destroy an ancient vampire she once trapped inside a mountain, who was presumably released in the volcanic eruption.
This vampire is now currently the king of the Halfling Confederation, and is planning a war over the steppe after they destroy the remnants of the cult and the threat of the goblin villages on their flank.
If players stop the cultists, they will be sent by the king to aid goblin rebels against a joint kobold goblin alliance [spoilers] kobold Vietnam [/spoilers]. If they join the cultists, they will hide in the forests and gain aid of other steppe tribes in overthrowing the vampire and sealing it back up in a mountain/ killing it.
>>
I'm starting to flesh out my monsters for the campaign I'm running. How do I make creatures stronger over all? Better weapons and armor, more spells? Example is this Hobgoblin Warlord who's been terrorising the valley the players started in, I want him to be stronger than the MM version.
>>
>>44328314
Check out page 274 of the DMG. A quick rule of thumb is that the CRs 1-20 increase by 14 HP and 5 damage per round, per CR change.

For the hobgoblin warlord it might be better to give him some hobgob followers. He's already got three attacks, 20 AC, parry, and saving throw proficiencies.
>>
>>44327919

Its a time of peace on the western coast, the Eltsian kingdom and the Sunfire Knights protect the realm from all the darkness from the land, thousands of years ago they destroyed a great evils body and trapped his spirit in the shadowfel to remain imprisoned. In the ruins of the old evil empire is a new force, bent on destroying the fair races by uniting the monstrous races to rise up and claim land for themselves. Secretly the great evil is using the war to grow stronger with the spilled blood and has allies secretly raising an undead army for him to command when he returns, His queen, a dark fae is aligning her subjects to bring forth her palace of thorns and a corrupt part of the feywild into the mortal realm.
>>
>>44328314

What else do you want him to do? He's already very hard to hit - a typical combat character will have about +7 to hit at level 6, and the warlord can Parry the first hit against him per turn. His damage might look low, but damage is fairly low in 5e in general (outside of people discussing GWF outliers), and he gets 3 attacks per round. Plus he has 97HP. What else would you give him? Have your players faced a similar monster and rolled over it?
>>
>>44328314
For important or boss-like monsters, I tend to do the angry GM thing. Give them two "forms" (health pools), when one gets depleted he goes to the next health pool and gets another turn in the initiative order. Sometimes the forms are actual forms and its physical capabilities and appearances change, other times it all stays the same and they just get a second turn.
>>
>>44328288
You could have potions or oils that temporarily increase their save DCs, or give them an extra spell slot or two for the day. Maybe their spells deal 1d6 or 2d6 extra fire or lightning damage to targets. Sky's the limit, really. I would have them more like potions or body oils, applied to the caster instead of the implement.
>>
>>44327919
Dogs > Cats
>>
>>44328432
Yeah they have, it's my fault for letting a couple of players minimal the hell out of their characters, it's my first time dming so it's been quite the learning experience.
>>
>>44328444

Oh my god why haven't I thought of this before. I always accept that any time the PCs face a villain, they might kill him even if I want him to escape - but I want it to be a *fight*. I don't like it when players alpha-strike a villain within two rounds. This'd help with that a lot.
>>
File: 1438989326134.jpg (757 KB, 900x1273) Image search: [Google]
1438989326134.jpg
757 KB, 900x1273
>>44328460
>not having both, stuck in eternal rivalry
>>
>>44328462

Is there anything you can do about the characters? What sort of min-maxing did they do?

If it's variant humans, well, lesson learned. I haven't met a GM yet who allows them.
>>
>>44328173

Now that you mention it, I think that was the goal of Eberron anyway. 3e was so focused on numbers though that that got lost.
>>
>>44328498
Variant human paladin and another barbarian who absolutely destroys everything it seems. A Half Elf Warlock, and a Cleric.
>>
>>44328395
Thank you for the help!
>>
>>44328476
Water/Air cats to Earth/Fire dogs? I can dig it.
>>
>>44328552

Other than the variant human, you didn't tell me how they're min-maxed, you just said their race and classes. That doesn't tell me anything.
>>
>>44328798
Everyone is level 5

VH barbarian is a great weapon wielding berserker.

VH Paladin is a Devotion Tank, kinda doing support healing. Has magical sword.

Half Elf Warlock who uses Tome pact and fiend patron, He does ridiculous damage with his Eldritch Blast, it seems like he doesn't run out of steam ever.

Our Half Elf Cleric of Healing (life?)

And I forgot because he hasn't started yet, but next session he is bringing in his Bard. I'd what race he is.
>>
File: satyrs.jpg (64 KB, 322x600) Image search: [Google]
satyrs.jpg
64 KB, 322x600
Okay then, I'm trying to create a satyr homebrew. Any advice?

Right now I'm thinking

Dex +1
Cha +2
Speed 35
Hooves and Horns: 1d4+str unarmed attack.
Ignore non-magical difficult terrain.
Proficiency in deception and in a musical instrument
Advantage on saving throws
against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Languages: Common and Sylvan

Anything else I should add?
>>
Only way to fix ranger

>switch EK spell list with ranger, instead of having wizard spell list with restrictions
>change spellcasting ability to wisdom
>let them take druid cantrips
>call it ranger

Hard to make a class viable when its 90% ribbon, including the core features
>>
>>44329158

Not other anon, but that still doesn't explain how they're min-max'd (if they are at all).

The only one who looks potential is VH barb, for GWM, but at without knowing how you/they generated stats, at 5 they could potentially have grabbed GWM at 4 anyway.

Half-Elves are just generally "best pick" boring options for any Cha-based class - but definitely not min-maxed for a Cleric.
>>
>>44329158
>VH barbarian is a great weapon wielding berserker.
I'm assuming his Feat is GWM, in which case you're fucked and there's nothing you can do about it. May the gods have mercy on your soul.

> VH Paladin (...) Magic sword.
Again, your fault. What did you think would happen?

> Warlock (...) Never runs out of steam.
Fewer short rest opportunities. If your party is break-happy, give fewer opportunities for safe rests.

> Half Elf life Cleric
This is not egregiously optimized; treat as normal.

> bard, idk what race
You are the DM. You have to know these things for effective encounter building and immersiveness. Bards are reasonably high-tier regardless of race, so it's best to be prepared.

Overall, it sounds like your party is running a higher-powered game than you were prepared for. Start building your encounters to cater to a 7th-level group, and scale it back if it comes too close. Additionally/alternately, give them challenges that aren't strictly power-based: intrigue, mystery, sessions without cheap/common resupply, etc.

You've got this.
>>
>>44329158

The Warlock is just what Warlocks do. How is the damage ridiculous? At level 5 he's essentially in the same boat as the Warriors: two "attacks" that deal 1d10+CHA.

For the barbarian and paladin: that's Variant Humans. Feats are very, very powerful, because they come at an opportunity cost of stats, but the Human gets one for free, and STILL gets +1 to any two stats of its choice, AND a free skill.

Also, you probably gave the paladin a magical sword way too early. +1 to hit and damage is significant in 5e.
>>
>>44329319
> unwarranted meming
Here's your (you)
>>
>>44329232
>Speed 35
I think ability to navigate difficult terrain when in forests without spending extra movement might be better.

Recall that halflings and gnomes are slower but get extra features. Your satyr, in addition to being faster, gets natural weapons, Fey charm immunity, proficiency in one of the better skills, AND ignores ALL difficult terrain.

It's not bad, but it's OP enough that I wouldn't allow it. Props, though; keep going.
>>
>>44329232
I would say keep it as it is. Adding more would probably tip it into a very strong race. Atm it is strong but balanced.
>>
Going to drop a moon on the party. Shit is gonna be cash.
>>
File: chewie.jpg (413 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
chewie.jpg
413 KB, 790x1200
>>44329753
>>
>>44329753
I patiently await the moment one of your party members comes here to rage about it.

What's your setup for this calamity though? And why did you chose to do it to begin with?
>>
>>44329232
I agree with >>44329698 . Those are good ideas for race features, but adding all of them with no downsides would be a little OP.
>>
File: IMG_0090.jpg (894 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0090.jpg
894 KB, 3264x2448
>bring completely new player, never played a PnP game before, to our tabletop group of about 4-5 years
>he blows two of our players out of the fucking water first session in terms of getting and staying in character (we have low standards for these two)
>"would my character know this?"
>"would my character want to do this?"
Simple stuff like that, one would think. Our other two dudes have not shown much improvement in the years we've been playing.

We have come across a gem, /tg/. Now how do we help fix our other players?
>>
Is Enthrall the worst spell ever, or am I missing something? It barely seems better than a cantrip, but it's supposedly a second level spell.
>>
>>44327919
>>44328476
Went looking for a sourcebook, found this instead.
>>
A level 1 campaign where the characters never level but can still get magic items, boons, etc.

Also they all gotta be variant humans. And the campaign would be similar to the Black Company novels.

Gotta finish my current campaign though, still got a long way to go.
>>
>>44330115
I can't tell you how to encourage your players, because I don't know what your players are like. Consider using Inspiration as a reward for good roleplaying, because that's what it's meant for. You could turn it into a more competitive thing; eg. award one Inspiration point per in-game day to the player you think is roleplaying the best. I notice a distinct improvement in roleplaying and in-character behaviour when my players don't have Inspiration (and are trying to earn it).

Of course, if your players are engaged and having fun, then you don't need to "fix" them. Just make sure the goofy players aren't spoiling things for the more serious player.
>>
>>44327919
Ideas? Well, I was thinking of a setting sort of like PoLand. See, the Dawn War killed almost everything, the few remaining deities pulling their creations into the world at the end of said war. The deities then sacrifice a portion of themselves to the world, protecting it. However, one of their own refused, leaving "gaps" for beings from outside creation to wiggle into. The mortal races form a mighty kingdom/theocracy/whatever with a professional class of adventurers who are tasked with stopping the horrors.

At the same time, some magical folk, with the aid of a deity, find the Shadowfell and Feywild, bringing both to "touching distance" of the world. While this has nearly tripled the realms effect size, it's also making it somewhat easier for the horrors to sneak in.

Thoughts?
>>
>>44330269
Things would get boring very quickly unless you become very creative with the encounters and RP. It's possible to pull off though.
>>
>>44330269
I enjoy low-level adventures the most, so that sounds very interesting. My main issue is that the starting HP is very low for a 1st Level character, to the degree where a single critical hit from a goblin can knock a player down to 0 HP.
>>
>>44330269

I can't recall the name, but there is a variant where level caps at 5, and instead of leveling after that, characters get some other bonus, like a feat.
>>
>>44330308
Thanks anon, I think I'll try to use that inspiration idea!
>>
>>44330386
It's called E6, a homebrew variant for 3.5e that got relatively popular, as far as homebrew goes. It wouldn't work that well for 5e.
>>
For a kingdom, what's a good distance to start setting towns and villages? 1-3 days of travel? What about the distance between towns?
>>
>>44330331
That sounds really cool, so are all heroes of the realm part of some adventurers guild?
>>
File: Map help.jpg (2 MB, 1016x6090) Image search: [Google]
Map help.jpg
2 MB, 1016x6090
>>44330485

That depends. Most villages in ye olde times were probably only a half-day's walk or less, then a day's walk from them to a small town.

Might want to plan out where the biggest cities are, then work out a three-day walk-window from them.

Here's a thing generally helpful for making maps; the bottom part about settlements may be able to help in deciding the density of abodes.
>>
>>44330361
This.
>>44330269
Perhaps have players go up to or start at Level 3 just so they aren't so squishy and can get some inherit fleshing out with the first level of their Archetype. Then dump all the magic items on them.
>>
>>44330175
It's not great, and very situational but it fits it's situation well, it's basically a magical enhancement to distracting a guard while someone else sneaks past, it doesn't specify what the string of words is so you can have it be something simple like "do you have the time?" and it isn't concentration so you can have bless or something on your would be sneakers.

All in all it's not great but it fulfills it's specific task ok enough.

Now if you want the worst spell ever, look no further than Crown of Madness.
>>
>>44330672
Thank you, this is great!
>>
>>44330269
Seems like certain character classes will outshine others with no hope of catching up.

A monk is going to be a lot better than a fighter in this for instance, provided the ability scores are decent on both.

As a suggestion, why not have some of the boons or magic items you mention mimic class features? that way classes might still have some access to their more core abilities. a fighter might still be able to get his second attack, warlocks might be able to access invocations etc. but the characters health and effective level still aren't increasing.
>>
>>44328303

This is literally the worst campaign idea I have ever read, it reminds me of shitty paperback fantasy "novels" that were only published because the authors mother sucked off the publishing house CEO.
>>
>>44328314

Kek, just max out hp or have him always roll max damage. That's how I roll and it's worked better than any shitty template or "professionally" designed advancement rules.
>>
>>44329753

> ripping off that RA Salvatore StarWars book.

Enjoy being a useless hack. Trust me, it won't be "cash" unless your players are wide_eyed easily amused children, or are mentally retarded.
>>
>>44330115
>>"would my character want to do this?"

If he needs to ask this shot put loud, he's a bad roleplayer. Not two ways about it.
>>
I have a vampire boss with very hefty hp regen and dozen monk levels.
I kinda wonder ways I could help the players to go around her regen, should they choose to (try) to kill her.
She is cunning, very aware that vampirism is pretty awesome and would use it to her advance (fucking off for a moment and returning in full hp)
>>
>>44331048
They kind of are and I don't read shitty throwaway fan fiction
>>
>>44330175
>Is Enthrall the worst spell ever

Like everything else in 5e, it's overcome,station for 3.5, in which enthrall was OP. Now it is shit, to make up for the grievances f the past. Its the standard WotC design philosophy.
>>
>>44330361
>the starting HP is very low for a 1st Level character, to the degree where a single critical hit from a goblin can knock a player down to 0 HP

Good. It'll teach your players to grow a pair.
>>
>>44330410
>It wouldn't work that well for 5e.

Yes it would, dymbass. My friend ran it am it worked fine. Stop thinking 5e is so fucking narrowly focused.
>>
>>44329874
Setting the moon up as a prison for an ancient forgotten dead god that Big Bad wants to resurrect. It'll be revealed that te dark side of the moon is an illusion and only half the moon actually exists, where Big Bad is going to build a utopian society and drop it on the Big Good King Guy's castle in an attempt to end a power struggle that's been at a standstill for 50 years. I gave them an airship to dodge it and the ability to have an NPC catch the moon.
>>
>>44331143
>>44331102
>>44331071
>>44331048
Take your phone and shove it up your dumb ass.
>>
>>44331086
Have the party trick her into a room with thick curtains that block out the sun afer the sun has risen, then have someone open / destroy the curtains to engulf her in sunlight, negating her healing and severely hurting her every round.
>>
>>44331097
>I don't read shitty throwaway fan fiction

Top kek, it's official shit for one, and two, you ate literally ripping off the idea stop trying to play innocent.
>>
>>44331162

No. Try refuting my points.
>>
File: virtualoptim.png (329 KB, 500x698) Image search: [Google]
virtualoptim.png
329 KB, 500x698
>>44331189
>>
>>44331176
Dude fuck off if I'm ripping anything off I'm ripping off Majora's Mask. Not everyone likes shitty Star Wars shit so either contribute to the thread or fuck off and lay on some train tracks
>>
>>44331233
>Not everyone likes shitty Star Wars shit

I don't, I haven't even read that shit either but I know it happens and I know that the scenario you are creating is very poorly done and very cliche.
>>
>>44331152
It's strange but sounds solid enough. Definitely should run smoothly since it sounds like all the bases are covered. Just make sure It does not become too much like Majora's Mask.
>>
File: images.png (3 KB, 105x96) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3 KB, 105x96
>>44331256
>You :^)
>>
>>44330962

...Are you okay, anon?
>>
>>44331263
Thanks. I think I've got enough unique features. Majora's Mask is just inspiration really.
>>44331256
>he knows how poorly done my campaign is based off of a small paragraph
Were you born retarded or what
>>
>>44331466
Fair enough. Inspiration is usually the basis of most good ideas, especially now a day.

Aslo ignore him. he is obviously a troll. He'll get bored and leave soon enough.
>>
>>44331517
I guess I just expected more out of /tg/
>>
How does the Arcana domain from SCAG hold up? I see mentioned that they can be used as sort of a mage police? One of the factions in my world is very distrustful of arcane images and I can see them being used for such a roll.
>>
>>44331086
If the vampire is genuinely cunning, she'd make absolutely sure that she'd always be aware of what time of the day it is, have multiple escape plans that allow her to keep out of the sun. Simple luring and tricks really wouldn't work unless you decide she just happens to make a boneheaded move (or the players can absolutely corner her... which would likely be a place deep underground and safe from the sun).

Perhaps a means to trap her, like a magic device that can hold her in place until the sun goes up.

Focusing on the regen aspect, do none of the players have an attack or spell that does Radiant damage? Instead of just stalling the vampire's regen for the length of a turn, have it last a while longer if the Vampire disengages from combat.

That, or the party can back out while the vamp is hiding so they can pray / buy / whip candles for some Holy Water.

Or if those holy means aren't available for whatever reason, if one of the players is also a Monk, houserule it that any Ki-charged attack does some Hamon shit that disables the regen for a while.
>>
>>44331577
It's one of the better domains overall. The banishment channel divinity is kind of useless but everything else is great.
>>
>>44331086
Specialized holy water and alchemist's fire vials that have specs of silver floating in them (for added flavor). Toss it on her, they stop her regeneration for 1dx rounds.

It could be part of their questline to find the materials to make it themselves, or to find the person who makes them, or they could just stumble into them, whatever.
>>
Does anyone have some advice about balancing expertise as a feat or magic item so that other classes besides rogue or bard can get this feature without dipping/multi-classing?
>>
>>44331883
I've tried giving free expertise in one skill the character is already proficient in to each of my players. So far it's worked nicely to specialize and differentiate each other from other characters who share their ability score focus.

My party is comprised of 3 players though. Anymore than 4 and something like this might just ensure that the party always succeeds at skill checks.
>>
File: Durin Stoneskin The Hermit.jpg (209 KB, 790x1000) Image search: [Google]
Durin Stoneskin The Hermit.jpg
209 KB, 790x1000
>>44331558
Well most of the community is grand, but it is the neighbor of /b/. This sorta thing is bound to happen from time to time.

>>44331577
Tbh I would straight up say they are the best cleric domain. It bolsters the clerics casting potential immensely and allows clerics to become more of an OP class than it already was. Heck once you get to lvl 17 or 18 (I forget which) you get a single domain spell for level 6-9 that you pick from the wizard list and it becomes a cleric spell for you, and with this you can grab wish. Basically, the arcane cleric is a wizard with healing and is a lot more tanky. The only downside is your still a cleric so most of your early level spells slots will go to casting bless and cure spells.
>>
>>44331943
Yeah, it really bugs me that a rogue or bard who chooses to focus on grappling can reliably defeat or match a barbarian or fighter because of the athletics check.
>>
>>44329545
>>44329542
>>44329158

I figured level 5 would be good to start letting magical items trickle into the world. What's a better start point for that?
>>
>>44331712
>>44331595
Thanks for the tip.
They are fighting on her home-turf, which she has trapped to weed out weak adventures. Installed vents to pass through with gaseous form, hid her coffin in some unintuitive place, decoys, escape-route to underground cavern network... Although killing her is not the goal, but probably would be one of the best possible results.

There is cleric in party, and outside of that, maybe players could get some MacGuffin from a servant working against her (but too weak to fight her himself)
>>
>>44331883
You could give each PC one skill/tool expertise at certain milestones (every X levels, completion of significant quests, whenever you feel like it, etc.)
>>
>>44331577
Good until level 17, then the best.
>>
>>44329232
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S4Svrz2sgEvXMRP6PJGaUQUpph3EsWr_XOYdUGs-5qs/edit?usp=sharing

This is the Satyr build I came up with. Feel free to swap it around or make what you want of it for your own version. I balanced it with jamesmusicus's Race Creation Guide. It totals up to 6.5 points, putting it almost as strong as Elf.
>>
>>44331466

No, but the fact that you think your game has unique features, is laughable in itself.

Name one.
>>
From the previous thread, I was working on a two weapon fighter who uses a light main hand melee weapon and a hand crossbow. Here he is so far.

Variant Human Swashbuckling Rogue.

Level 3
HD: 3D8
HP: 27
STR: 10
DEX: 16
CON: 12
INT: 13
WIS: 10
CHA: 14

Athletics 2
Acrobatics 5
Deception 4
Intimidation 6
Perception 2
Sleight of Hand 5
Stealth 7

Took Crossbow Expert at first level so I can effectively TWF with a Rapier and Hand Crossbow.
>>
>>44332312
Looks solid, but you can't TWF with a rapier without the dual wielding feat. You would need to instead use a shortsword and a hand crossbow.
>>
>>44332418
Huh, bummer, I thought Rapier was light l, guess I can switch over at 4. Thanks for catching that.
>>
>>44332523
No problem. Though you may want to focus on bolstering your charisma and dex before you get the feat, since ability score increases are quite the bit more important than improving your shortsword to a rapier, but thats just my two cents.
>>
>>44332597
Is it more beneficial to bump one stat 2 or two stats 1 per ability score increase?
>>
I'm starting a new campaign with a one really experienced PC, two mildly competent guys and two new players. We decided to run it in a mission style, ala All Guardsman Party.

Right now I'm thinking making them all indebted to a crazy german gnome mage who will send them out to scavenge magical items and fuck with his rivals.

Not too sure if I should have them return to base at the end or be given new orders in the field.
>>
Can Clerics cast Aid (level 2) twice to give three people double the benefit?
Like instead of just +5 to your total HP, you'd get +10?
>>
>>44332788

For the first few "missions", have them return to base for their rewards and next mission.
Eventually they should garner a bit of reputation so the gnome's rivals should reach out to them offering work. Let them pick who to follow.
>>
>>44332808
The effects of two castings of the same spell don't stack. It's in the spellcasting chapter of the PHB. The DMG errata adds a section that extends this to all game features: two features of the same name don't stack.
>>
>>44332720
Whichever gets those 1 or 2 stats to even numbers, and thus a bonus to your rolls.
>>
File: Druid Armour.jpg (557 KB, 1200x965) Image search: [Google]
Druid Armour.jpg
557 KB, 1200x965
>>44332841
That's good! Thanks

Since there's no official Eberron Setting Book, would it cause many problems to take stuff from the older editions and grab stuff from there for my game?
>>
File: Rafiq.jpg (100 KB, 700x514) Image search: [Google]
Rafiq.jpg
100 KB, 700x514
>>44327919
>What campaign ideas do you have mulling around, /5eg/?

25 years of tenuous peace are slowly crumbling as tensions rise along the borders of the Empire of Humanity and the United Elven Alliance. The nations have struggled over the resource rich Dwarven mountain colony, the desert of the merchant princes, and the archaeological Ruiners' excavation sites that lie between their borders for generations. But at the end of the last war a horrible experimental weapon was unleashed and an entire continent sunk below the seas, along with th homeland of the Ruiners and whatever dark design may have been born there. Both nations, unsure of who or what possessed such destructive capacity, quickly signed a peace treaty leaving the Merchant lands to the elves and the riches of the Dwarves to the Empire.
The Old World prophecies, unearthed in the temples of the ancient world-spanning kingdom of old, contain fragments of the future inscribed by a peerless prophet of old that have never proven false. The Church of the Prophet collects these prophecies in order to divine the golden path laid out for the world that will lead it to untold prosperity, but countless would-be warlords and politically ambitious types from both nations also seek these relics for the leverage they offer their possessors.
One of the better known prophecies possessed by the church speaks of a time of great upheaval for both nations and that the Empire of man will see the fall of its colony and lose much land. Even though the nations have been at peace, both now prepare for war BECAUSE of the prophecy with each expecting the other to strike first.
The new Emperor is a young idealist, lacking the territorial ambitions of his father and instead looking to forge a lasting peace with the Alliance. But a shadowy terrorist group strikes at both sides of the border, seeming to be trying to build tensions further and some whisper the church itself has a stake in seeing the prophecy fulfilled...
>>
File: man-screaming.jpg (116 KB, 401x299) Image search: [Google]
man-screaming.jpg
116 KB, 401x299
>Try to hit on female silver dragon
>Turns me into a bunny and starts petting me

I'm a Cleric of Silvanus not some pet god dammit. Why are Silver dragons so shitty?
>>
Do you guys prefer homebrew settings or pre-written stuff?

I tend to use 5e for its convenience and hand-wave a lot of things that don't fit my homebrews, but with adopting a new group I wonder if it'd be better to stick more to the book in every sense.
>>
>>44333070
I don't care either way.
>>
>>44332418
>Looks solid, but you can't TWF with a rapier without the dual wielding feat

This kind of rules lawyering is why most of the RPG community has matured past DnD
>>
>>44333027
>Even though the nations have been at peace, both now prepare for war BECAUSE of the prophecy with each expecting the other to strike first.

>>
File: you ate the bait.png (178 KB, 993x796) Image search: [Google]
you ate the bait.png
178 KB, 993x796
>>44333154
You mean we read the book of the system we're talking about, rather than not at all?
>>
>>44332720
It's more benificial to do what >>44332865 Said.

With your stats as they are I would say boost your dex by 2 at level 4 and 8, then your cha by 2 at 12 and 14 (possibly a third time at 16 if you want 20 in both dex and cha). You could push the cha boost back if you want to grab your dual wielder earlier and then boost your cha at lvl 14, 16, and 19.
>>
>>44333070
>Do you guys prefer homebrew settings or pre-written stuff?

Nigga you do understand that MOST people make up their own setting, possessing actual creative power, and that calling someone's DnD world a homebrew setting is like calling your current 5e character a homebrew because you rolled it up yourself I dead of using a pregen
>>
>>44333046
Because they are almighty beings who probably get bored and lonely. Just be glad she was not a chromatic dragon and did not eat you or turn you into a sex slave.
>>
>>44333176
What? Too cliche?
Don't care for the self-fulfilling prophecy?
Or was it my use of all-caps?
>>
>>44333184

No, you SHOULD read the book. Bit nitpicking the details makes you a slave to some fat fifty year old WOTC dev who probably gave the rule about as much thought as the shit he took that morning, and likely wrote that rule WHILE needing a shit, so He wrote down what first came to mind, then waddled off to the men's room, took a dump, got some Doritos from the vending machine, then went back to playing World of Warcraft to justify getting paid for eight hours of "work".

I forgot though. Devs are Gods, impeccable and infallible.
>>
>>44333233
Actually, most people use one of many preestablished settings. Homebrew is a large chunk but it's not even the majority of games.

A source:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/poll.php?pollid=7034&do=showresults

I recall a Wizards post saying much the same thing but I can't find it.
>>
I have a player who wants to play a roguelike character that focuses on tricking people. Examples she gave were turning into a fox or turning into a bridge. Any ideas wtf she can be?
>>
>>44333317

No, it's just basically a cliche fantasy ploy that most of your players will see coming a mile away.

Maybe farther.
>>
>>44333154
>calls me rule lawer
>says most fo the community is past DnD
>at least half a dozen DnD or PF related threads are actively posted in every day.
>enters a 5e thread just to post this.

/b/ must really be boring today for 2 trolls to migrate here in the same day.
>>
>>44333343

Dymbass, the people who take those polls are there for official content ie setting material so no shit there's a bias there. Its called a suspect sample. Try learning literally high school statistics and you'll be able to spot bullshit more easily and be less of a gullible fuck.
>>
>>44333366
That's setting background. It's not meant to be a ploy
The twist is that the war is a distraction while the terrorists cult destroys the Dwarven Kingdom causing it to sink into the earth. The Empire's Colony will literally fall and they will 'lose' that land.
>>
>>44333364
>wat?

The best thing that I can think of is a warlock with the criminal background who takes the disguise self and silent image at will invocations. There is nothing that lets you become a bridge and only druids and casters with polymorph can become beasts.
>>
>>44333372

Sorry, I meant the RPG community worth respecting. the casual masses who play DND don't really count, seeing as they play a game that considers Alignment to be a respectable role-playing mechanic and considers race-based character concepts to be at all good or interesting.

> hurdurr I'm a dwarf so I care about honor and rocks, am I role-playing yet, daddy?
>>
>>44333446

> pre planning a plot to happen despite the PC's actions so that they have no effect on the story

Is this what the DMG gives for advice these days? Wow.
>>
>>44333289
>you will never be enslaved by black dragon as a sex slave
>she will never eventually warm up to you as time goes on
>she will never turn into a slightly younger black dragon to live with her for the rest of eternity
;-;
>>
>>44333233
Well I didn't.
That's kinda why I asked. Figured wizards made settings since it made them money, so some decent chunk of people had to be using them..
>>
I'm just getting into D&D and going to host a campaign for my friends in January. I've never played but I've watched a lot of D&D so I have a basic knowledge of the rules and mechanics.
Do you have any advice, tips or tricks on DMing for a newbie like me?
>>
>>44333485
>isn't my indie RPG so interesting and deep?
>>
>>44333485
>the masses are less than the whole
>can't respect racial heritage
>continues to think anyone cares about the shit spewing out of his mouth

Do you even RP?
>>
>>44333485
>the idea of race-based culture isn't good or interesting

Do your characters just come out of the void or something, or do you just not bother with cultures?
>>
File: shibe HAPPY.jpg (65 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
shibe HAPPY.jpg
65 KB, 540x540
>>44333563
Be familiar with the rules, but don't be afraid of making fiat decisions and looking up what the rules say later.

Take good notes. Keep quick references for important NPCs and stories. Buy some notecards.

Don't plan too far ahead, your players will run off the tracks faster the more you plan ahead.

Be ready to think on your feet.

Most of all: make sure everyone has fun.
>>
>>44333557
>Them feels
>but at least I got to fuck a white dragon

I have had some strange DM's over the years
>>
>>44333629
what would each dragon be like sexually?
>>
>>44333544
Eh, call it what you will. Prophecy is always a double edged sword like that though. It takes away player agency or its only there to be proven wrong.

If the players catch wind of it I may alter the story, but their main priority will probably be averting war, which they may or may not be successful at. That, or they'll just be mercenary treasure hunters searching for more of the prophecy for profit and selling them to the highest bidder. It's really up to them. The fall of the Dwarves isn't really set to happen until the adventure seems to be drawing to a close.

The kingdom won't really be destroyed anyways. It will have been drawn down into the old world, revealing that the world is, in fact, hollow, and ushering in the next phase of adventures exploring the fallen lands of the Ruiners down below.
>>
>>44333674
No idea. I know I got frostbite on my dick from the white one.

Then again stuff like this is probably how 75% of dragon sorcerers come into existence so surely there is a DM out there who has made a chart detailing what all the dragons like to do during intercourse and how they sexually behave.
>>
How could I do a character that's basically a Storm Sorc, but instead of being themed around air and storms, its Earth.
>>
Anybody else enjoy setting continuity?
Not like logic, but multiple campaigns in the same setting, just different time periods. Mostly just further down the line chronologically, obviously.

I think it tends to make players feel the impact of their previous characters even more, it's been pretty good.

One of the best was one of my player's (future) characters being a member of a cult that worshipped his previous character (now dead). Of course, they entirely misunderstood his philosophy and motivation so the group didn't figure it out until they got to his tomb.
>>
>>44331048

It's much much more likely that he's ripping off of Majoras Mask.
>>
>>44333597
>Do your characters just come out of the void or something, or do you just not bother with cultures?

They come out of am ACTIAL CHATACTER CONCEPT.

what you play is the equivalent of "I'm saying a Nigger so my character likes KFC and burglary."

THERE is literally no difference
>>
>>44329753
>Plot twist: It stops right before it hits
>>
>>44333571
I don't have an indie RPG. I play GURPS, which is objectively superior. Try again.
>>
>>44334031
I think you're confusing sticky dedication to Tolkein archetypes and people who actually put effort into their settings.
>>
File: youdontsay.gif (166 KB, 485x662) Image search: [Google]
youdontsay.gif
166 KB, 485x662
>>44333184

Two spelling mistakes.

"forzen"

"existance"
>>
>>44327919
>Continent is covered in independent city-states.
>PCs are in a city-state with a bad case of zombie infections going around.
>Outside city-state is a small army of orcs demanding yearly tribute in the form of young breeders.
>City has no slave women to give orcs, because they all got zombified.
>Orcs getting mad.
>PCs halp.

Anyway, the first session went alright.
>>
>>44334071
>I play GURPS,
I would commend your taste, but you're a giant asshole who makes the rest of us look bad.
>>
>>44334120

just give the orcs the zombie women and let them die off
>>
If my players always end at low as fuck HPs, like bordering the unconsciousness and from time to time one drops to 0, am I challenging them enough?
>>
>>44334206
Sounds like it. Maybe even throw them a bone now and then and take it back a bit so they feel like bad-asses. Not too much, though.
>>
>>44334031
I feel you, but don't be too hasty to judge monocultural races as "uncreative".

You know why my elves are monocultural?
Because there's only enough of them to fill 4 small cities, and said cities are really close to each other.
You know why my humans have many cultures?
Because those things breed like rabbits and are all over the fuckin place.

I think what you're really upset about is players who define their characters based on their character's race, and I can sympathize with that.
>>
Is the homebrew content in the mega generally /tg/ approved? At least in terms of balance?
I'm just curious because some of these are pretty cool (I like the Elements Monk remaster in particular) but I don't wanna be approving "D&D wiki" content if you get what I mean.
>>
>>44334168
That was the first plan they came up.
It did not work.
>>
>>44334292
/tg/-created but not always /tg/-approved. As with all homebrew, take a look at everything before approving it for use.
>>
>>44328456

>caster has to rub themself down with oil and lotion in order to be maximum effective

this could turn into magical realm territory VERY quickly, but i also think it's the best way to do it.
>>
>>44334206
Sounds solid to me. What level are they? if they are a higher level I would say keep doing as you are and don't hold back

If they are a low level though you may wanna pull it back a bit from time to time. No one likes it when their low level pc dies even when it's perfectly reasonable for them to die.
>>
>>44334259
If this is what he is intending I can agree with that. Dwarves are not "just" greedy drunks, but for a dwarf to love gold and booze is reasonable.

But I'm quite positive he is just an asshole stirring up trouble.
>>
>>44329542

Is great weapon master that strong? I wanted to take an EK with one handed sword style and use finesse weapons so I could dump strength.
>>
>>44331176

>it's official shit for one

not anymore! thanks Disney!
>>
>>44330962
It reminds me of that joke movie description that gets posted in the filename threads.
>>
>>44334384
4th level
>>
>>44334542
New disney canon is not much better, if you watch shit like SW Rebels or the new comics (in where Dengar dies before Empire and then suddenly appears in Empire because reasons, Han's black wife, etc) you'll realize that we changed vanilla flavour shit for peanut flavour shit, different taste, but both are shit.
>>
>>44334512
Your plan will still be very effective, but GWM is just stupid strong, especially late level. At lvl 20 you can legit pump out over 200 damage in one turn as a GWM battle master fighter. It's the most nova a character can pump out in one turn.

Though desu I have recently warming up to the though of playing an EK as my next fighter character (atm I have a battle master Goliath fighter with the gladiator background).
>>
>>44334722
Yeah, keep doing as your doing but don't feel bad if you end up needing to pull back every now and again. Death should be much rarer at this level but the party is still fragile enough to die unexpectedly.
>>
I have a question about something I got out of the OotA campaign I am playing in. It's an early level spoiler so I'll black bar it for those who have not played it.

In the demigorgon dungeon in the durgar city our party got the ritual book they were using to give the stone giants two heads. Being a warlock of Baphomet i took the book and studied it's rituals, so now I can cause people to grow multiple heads and, more importantly, graph peoples heads onto new bodies as long as I have toenails from the target creature. With this power in hand my character wants to experiment a bit before he decides to ultimately graph a demon's head onto his body in a bid to covet some demon powers. Has anyone else gotten this book and done anything like this? Did it turn out ok? would the head come back to life and try to take over my body or would I have complete control of the head? I really wanna know and I doubt I will get any good experiment subjects anytime soon.
>>
>romantic relationship ends up occurring between two PC's
>female human swashbuckler that's supposed to be 29
>male half-orc valor bard in his mid-40's

There's a lot of implied fade to blacks between them. How am I supposed to DM when I'm constantly aroused.
>>
>>44334773

SW rebels is fine. I don't think it's as good as Clone Wars at it's best but it's more consistent than it.

>Han's black wife

it was a heist.
>>
>>44334852

Yeah, I guess it's kind of a shame that I won't be pumping out that much damage, but I don't know if I want to be the guy who does everything anyways.
>>
>>44335695
I see little problem here. Just push on and work it out after the session. If it's a legit problem either put their characters in more perilous situations so they cant do it or talk to them about it after or before your next session.
>>
>>44335826
You can still do solid damage. if you were to nova you could probably pump out over 100 damage in a turn by casting haste on yourself at the same level. Plus you will be a lot tankier and a lot more flexible (find familiar is a great spell to pick up when you first pick up the archtype).
>>
>>44335695

Saltpeter.
>>
>>44331126
don't you mean the opposite? they have to play like pussies if they want to survive.
>>
>>44336367
I think what's meant is that the players will have to be willing to accept that crawling through dungeons is a risky-ass profession.
>>
Would you think the firearms at least the renaissance ones could be covered under crossbow expert?
>>
I'm going to be DMing a D&D game for some friends who have never played before. Both of them like Lord of the Rings and Narnia and ASOIAF and such, so they know at least a bit of fantasy.

I've played 5e, but have never DMed for new players and have been playing D&D since I was a kid playing AD&D with my grandfather, who had played the same version with my dad when he was a kid.

So is 5e an okay "first RPG?"

And what do you recommend as far as content for a game for people who don't really know the tabletop RPG cliches but do know at least the more well-known fantasy in general? Should I stick with something that's pretty straightforward medieval European fantasy?

Any other tips?
>>
>>44335992

not sure what i'll get for spells yet. if variant human is allowed i was thinking of starting magic initiate to free up some space for cantrips. I guess I could take find familiar there too.
>>
>>44336916
For most intents and purposes, sure.
I'd argue for a special feat necessary to be able to load/reload/take care of the firearm, though.

Or maybe reloading takes a full turn. Depends.
>>
>>44336919
Most of /tg/ would probably argue to start with a "better" system, but I'd argue that 5e is the best 'supported'

It's easy to look up guides, answers, extras, etc. And I'd say 5e is probably the easiest to pick up of all of the editions, so there's that, too.

That said, 5e isn't robust enough to deal with a setting that's even relatively low/secretive magic like LotR or ASOIAF, unless you're just going to cut off most caster classes altogether.
>>
>>44336919

5e is probably as friendly to new players as D&D has ever been with the possible exception of OD&D or Basic..

4e might have had better formatting for understanding rules, but 5e makes up for a return to obtusity there with its sheer overall simplicity.
>>
Hey /5eg/ I'm making a Rogue turned Undying Light Warlock after a battle with a Necromancer. Since we rolled stats and I have 11 19 17 14 13 20, I started as a half elf rogue for skill monkey possibilities, since the other two players are mainly combat focused, would going Pact of the Tome be my best bet for more utility?
>>
>>44337278
For more utility? Sure. But you're not really going to get much synergy between the two classes no matter what. Unless you just want to dip for a couple levels before returning to rogue to gain a couple of spell-caster options and some Cantrips. But I get the feeling you're doing this for flavor more than optimization anyways.
>>
>>44337423
Yeah, there is no way this is optimized, I'm just doing it because it fit the character. One of the PCs is a fighter and the other is the Blood Hunter that Matthew Mercer made. I'm trying to cover our bases in terms of "everything that isn't what the other two characters have."

My DM is also allowing homebrew material, but unless I can find an awesome warlock pact that adds a bunch of utility or versatility, I'm gonna be stuck with it.
>>
16 13 15 10 11 10, level 1 stats for a sword/board human battlemaster fighter (city watch background)? Sound good? Eventually going up to 20 13 15 10 11 10?
>>
>>44337581
Bretty gud. Might consider taking shield master if you're going to have a shield all the time, it's a nice little feat for that bonus action shove.
>>
So I'm thinking of making a Hexblade kinda character. I'm going to go Paladin at start, 3 levels or so to get one of the oaths, probably vengeance, then go Fiendblade Warnock to augment my combat abilities. What do you fine folks think of the idea? Is there an issue with doing so, aside from anything theological?
>>
>>44336980
Sounds solid. Make sure to get the owl and have it use help action every turn in combat. Advantage is so good to have. You'll do grand.
>>
>>44336916
What, flintlocks? If you're going to go with "believable", those things would take five turns to reload. Three turns minimum even with the quickest and most skilled soldier.

Honestly, mid-late 1800s rifles would be the more fitting.

A single shot breech loaded rifle would be ideal to have a "firearm" fit into the existing crossbow item type and keep the Loading property. Image related.
If you're adding some fantasy guns that are encroaching into the age of brass casings, a breech-loading series of weapons would be the way I'd go with it.

Detriments you could consider for guns while still keeping xbows available - since you're firing bullets, you aren't going to be able to recover any ammo like you could with collecting used arrows/bolts.
You may be able to keep hold of spent brass to reload them during a rest (perhaps a player proficient with alchemy/tinker/smith tools carries around extra lead and powder since those would be cheaper to have in excess than the more particularly shaped casings). Plus the ammo'd be a lot more expensive. With those detriments, you could give the guns more range to have some give&take.
>>
>>44337581
I would say switch the dex and wisdom score and pick up resilient (wis) as your variant human feat. That way you are much less likely to get mind fucked by enemy casters.
>>
>>44337517

Warlock's casting stat is Charisma right? Maybe Bard will help better (if you're not dead set on rogue); I think they've still got a decent array of skills and they have a few other features that are pretty sweet.
>>
>>44337517
>>44337808

Actually Bard doesn't look bad for Skill Monkeying. You get Jack of All Trades at level 2 to roll half your proficiency bonus on things you're not proficient in and you get 3 additional skills you're proficient at if you choose college of lore. It also gives you cutting words. Not sure how far you want to go into the multi class though.
>>
>>44335585
Graft, not graph.
>>
>>44337808
>>44337973
I think my DM would start telling me no if I start doing more then 2 classes.
>>
>>44338296

i was thinking bard over rogue but i can understand if you're dead set on rogue
>>
>>44338360
Ah.
See, I've already picked it. We're level 3 right now and we're at about 150 experience from leveling to 4, which since I'm a Rogue 1/Lock 2, I'll have to name my decision
>>
>>44338392

oops. too late for that then. do you not have another ritual caster? ritual casting is pretty sweet for minor utility things. i use detect magic very frequently for magical traps, and leomund's tiny hut has been extremely helpful since we're in the depths of the under dark, and have needed a place to stay.
>>
>>44338419
>>44338392

oh, but i'm not sure what spells warlocks get for ritual casting. you'd probably have to look that up on your own (or someone more experienced can provide better advice even).
>>
File: h3XWF6Y.png (256 KB, 488x698) Image search: [Google]
h3XWF6Y.png
256 KB, 488x698
Whats the most quintessential "white guy" class of DnD? Like obviously Ranger/Archer is near universally a white chick.

The rogue usually falls into white woman or [Ethnic Minority] territory though once in a blue moon a white guy will get cast as a rogue.

Magic users are usually female though less so than rogue and as of late have a sort of non-European flare to their characterization.

So now we're left with the Knightly/Paladin/Leader archetype or the Barbarian/Fighter/Strength archetype left. The question is, which is more assumed to be filled by the "white guy" of the party /tg/?
>>
What's the key to making a memorable character? I made a rock gnome salvage girl sorcerer named Raya who lives in a desolate area in the Underdark and her family left her there and every day she trades scrap for portions of food and waits for her family and she finds a beeping golem and she meets a dark elf named Finnegan and starts a giant quest and she's good at everything and everyone at the table calls her a Mary Sue and she's British. Help tg!
>>
File: 1391669148102.jpg (10 KB, 157x153) Image search: [Google]
1391669148102.jpg
10 KB, 157x153
>>44338440
>>
>>44338458

I didn't understand what you were talking about at first but I definitely got a giggle out of this when I realized.

Honestly, other than Rey's ridiculous piloting abilities i didn't think she was that bad. Just wish they had toned her down a bit.
>>
>>44338440
Personally I think generic Lawful Good "Smite ALL the Evil!" Paladin is about as white bread as it gets.
>>
>>44338419
>>44338439
No.
I'm the only full caster.
The other guy is a Blood Hunter which gets a few warlock spells, but that's about it.
>>
>>44338492
Makes sense, they usually cast the berserker warrior as some kind of non-European foriegn warrior man
>>
>>44338521

sure, ritual casting will help a lot with minor utility things. I don't know how many spells you get or how much they count against your spells known, but thanks to Eldricth Blast dealing pretty sweet damage you probably don't need too many blast spells. I'd still take a couple though, just in case you want the AOE. Other than that look for a few battle field control spells (Grease or Web? Wall of Force) and then your other utility like Tiny Huts, Detect Magic, Invisibility...etc.
>>
File: Manly_Bard.jpg (57 KB, 632x939) Image search: [Google]
Manly_Bard.jpg
57 KB, 632x939
My group designed our first 5e characters. We've played a solid amount of 4e. 2/4 of us are really solid RPers, the other half enjoy different aspects of the game, I guess.

Anyway, do you find yourself using the given backgrounds? Personality/bonds/ideals/flaws? Or did you make your own?
>>
>>44338553
A mix, usually. I find backgrounds useful for coming up with character concepts on the fly, versus having one in mind when I sit down to make the character.
>>
>>44338553
We don't use the backgrounds/personalities at all. We just write a little paragraph about the character and thats all we do.
>>
>>44338551
I could take the ritual caster feat since my DM hands out magic items every session so far. Nothing too big, just some cool things.

I'd probably get a ton of scroll rituals and I could go pact of the blade for the summonable Rapier to use the 1d6 sneak attack if I needed up close. I'd have EB for ranged attacks.
>>
File: 1432524831970.jpg (357 KB, 1219x1600) Image search: [Google]
1432524831970.jpg
357 KB, 1219x1600
>>44338623
While I'm fine with not using the personality traits and such out of the box, if you've all agreed that you're acceptable with characterization, you are still taking the features, gear, and skills from the backgrounds, right?
>>
>>44338656
err no, the features aren't needed (most of them are just assumed and don't need to be spelled out), the "gear" is just fluff (a trophy from an animal you killed) and we just add two skills to the amount they get from their class. they also get two languages or two tools, or any mix, so it all comes out. but the whole background systems seems like a pet project of one of the devs that got forced through.
>>
File: 1432573714215.jpg (347 KB, 800x1020) Image search: [Google]
1432573714215.jpg
347 KB, 800x1020
>>44338705
I don't think the backgrounds feel that tacked on, and they can be important in spurring on players who might skip over that sort of roleplay. I'm glad to hear that your group is reasonable enough to get by without it. It sounds like you're all reaping an experience above the aims of backgrounds: a GM who can tie things like that in without needing players to present them with crunch.
>>
>>44338630

That is true, Pact of the Blade will be nice if you want to actually utilize your sneak attack. Maybe you could even throw a few more levels into Rogue down the line to pump up the damage and get Skill Proficiencies. What are your cantrips? Do you have Green Flame Blade or booming blade? They'll let you attack with your weapon (which should give you sneak attack damage) and deal aoe damage/force the enemy to take damage if they want to retreat or pursue you (cunning action disengage?).
>>
>>44338741
Oh you're glad to hear? Quit talking like you are King Cock of this thread. You don't know jack shit. And backgrounds are reddit tier. Oh I'm a charlatan lol. No just play a nigga who slick as shit and let them figure it out.
>>
>>44338630
>>44338746

Looked it up; if you don't know it, if you don't know one of those you'll get a chance at Warlock 4. If there are often a lot of enemies in 5 feet of one another Green Fire Blade has a pretty respectable damage output; at fifth level (not sure if it's single class or not, but if it works like 3.5 it should be the sum of your levels) the first enemy will take 1d8+Dex mod piercing damage and 1d8 Fire damage, and the second enemy will take 2d8+Casting mod fire damage. Booming Blade at fifth level will deal 1d8+Dex mod piercing and 1d8 thunder, and if they move will deal 2d8 Thunder damage to them. With cunning action (rogue level 2 I believe) you can move into melee range, Booming Blade, and then Cunning Action disengage to move out of the melee. IF the enemy wants to pursue you they'll take another 2d8 thunder damage for a total of 4d8+ Dex mod damage. Seems nice for a hit and run strategy. Plus it'll let you use those Warlock levels AND rogue levels decently.
>>
>>44338458
The key to making a memorable character is to make a character than you really like in both concept and in RP. Make a character that you think you will look forward to playing every week, someone who has a personality you will love to play as, someone with an interesting background that won't force itself onto others but will ultimately define who your character is.

For me, my favorite character, at the moment at least, is this bat shit insane warlock who worships Baphomet. I love playing as him because it allows me to sorta break out of the shell I tend to keep myself in. I can engage in some interesting RP and end up into interesting situations. My point is, make a character you think you will have fun with. Thats the best way I can think of to make memorable characters.
>>
>>44338741
You IRL: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0INx2OFvZVE
>>
>>44338845
>For me, my favorite character, at the moment at least, is this bat shit insane warlock who worships Baphomet. I love playing as him because it allows me to sorta break out of the shell I tend to keep myself in. I can engage in some interesting RP and end up into interesting situations. My point is, make a character you think you will have fun with. Thats the best way I can think of to make memorable characters.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1SqTNgLdwBz
>>
>>44338822
you must be fun at parties
>>
>>44338553
I use the backgrounds but I don't always use them to define my character. You are intended to use the backgrounds for skills and other such proficiency gains. I of course take that stuff into consideration when picking a background but I make sure the character I have in mind can match up to the background. The best thing is with SCAG's new list of backgrounds it's almost impossible to find something you don't like.

With that said I see no issue with making your own background as the rules even state you can mix and match stuff to make a background you like.
>>
>>44338880
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PNtNMmbH4u
>>
>>44328303
Why would a halfling confederation have a king much less a human king

are you retarded
>>
>>44338828
>>44338630

i really gotta let this train of thought go but i realized i forgot sneak attack damage too, which is 1d6 but will scale up if you go deeper into the rogue levels. If you go assassin at Rogue 3, you can get an automatic critical hit on enemies that you hit while surprised at the first round of combat. If the critical hit increases the damage of the spell that's a lot of damage you're looking at, and Booming Blade leaves them a sitting duck while you can CA disengage and not have to deal with them anymore.

At first I thought they didn't mesh well together but after doing a lot of brainstorming like this, I think you can definitely come out with a pretty solid and fun character. Not sure how many Rogue levels you want to take, but 3rd (/4th? ASI) seems good to increase the SA damage and give you the Rogueish archtype. If you still want to emphasize your skill monkeying you get another bit of Expertise at level 6 and you'll have 3d6 Sneak Attack dice, with Uncanny Dodge too.
>>
>>44338870
You spent time on making this. You wasted time making this thing, thinking it would insult me when in fact you are making yourself sound like a moron. Go back to /b/ and jerk off to you little girl fantasies.

Or better yet, tell me your "better" character idea. I'd love to hear what a person like you thinks makes a "memorable and interesting" character.
>>
>>44338934
Don't give Drunk Vocaroo Anon the attention he so craves, anon.
>>
>>44338947

does this guy post a lot? i don't usually browse these threads, first time I've seen him
>>
>>44338947
I don't intend to give anymore, but I'd feel bad if i didn't give him a chance to take the cock out of his mouth and try to make a legit comeback.
>>
>>44338967
It's been a while. I just assume he's the same idiot who used to spam vocaroo posts months ago, I don't have the interest to actually open up and listen to them.
>>
>>44338967
This thread has been hit by a few trolls today, which is rare but it happens. this is 4chan still when push comes to shove. It's bound to happen at some point.
>>
>>44338934
ok fine http://vocaroo.com/i/s0VRkh0MCqwF
>>
>>44339010

yeah even with one guy being retarded /tg/ is still one of the most civil boards.
>>
>>44338994
He used to do it QUITE often...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KxuAWZwiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtbb2BjoKnY
>>
>>44331189
>refuting
CODE RED
>>
>>44338746
>>44338828
I only have EB tight now but on level up I'll swap it for booming blade and go hit and run on them. Thanks for the input
>>
>>44339108

>swap it

I think you just learn an additional cantrip at level 4. I hope the build works, good luck (I'll feel bad if I gave out this advice and the character totally blows or something).
>>
Is multi-classing that weak in 5e? From what I've looked it seems like you lose out on a lot by picking more than one class.
>>
>>44339130
Uh yea, it is. Next question faggot.
>>
>>44339118
Ah right.
Forgot about that.
That works even better.
>>
>>44339130
It's usually a trade-off of raw power for versatility. Honestly? I think it's just how it should be, considering how 5e has its class/subclass setup. The biggest power gain I can think of is warlock/sorcerer (for quickened EB shenanigans, which still isn't at the top for damage) and paladin with any other charisma caster for extra smites. Outside of that, full casters will want to stay in one class to maintain spell progression, and martials will want to stay in the same class for power progression.
>>
>>44339022
I'll give props where props are due, not half bad. I mean it lacks any semblance of flavor but it is much more than I was expecting. A gay wizard who rambles on and a gay lich who raises the dead who once had a relationship is a good (albeit very strange) start to a memorable character but it would still need things that define them outside of rambling about spiders and wands and being gay.

And honestly I have nothing better to do tonight. I've recently finished up with my most recent game and nothing good in my subscripton box. Troll or just very strange man, I've got nothing better to do.
>>
>>44339037
>WAT?

Please tell me there is more. outside of what has been posted here tonight.
>>
>>44339240
there are literally hundreds, but vocaroos expire so they are gone forever
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1uvPuuJwDUW
>>
>>44339266
Damn, oh well. I just need stuff to pass the time. I've run out of things to do and I'll fuck up my sleep schedule if I go to bed now.
>>
>>44339320
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0f57apTUKYH
>>
>>44339319
Interesting. Honestly it could always be worse, but ultimately your life is what you make of it. I was working a shitty factory job for a year and a half because I settled with it, but then I got fed up with the job and now I have a security job I am absolutely in love with and I only work 3 shifts a week instead of pretty much all week like I did at the factory and still make solid bank. This opened me up to play DnD on a more regular basis and led me to this grand board. If your life is really as you say it is and your unsatisfied, just go and change it. It may take time, effort, or both, but the possibility to improve is always available.

if you feel the need, you can insult my advice. I'm just giving my two cents.
>>
>>44339418
i dont take advice from fucking security guards
>>
>>44330645
That was the plan, anyway. They broke off and became pirates of the seas, then the feywild and shadowfell. Yeah...
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1NufqlbOjNC
>>
>>44339320
If I were you I would create encounters and be a giver of OC.

Not outright adventures or anything (but maybe an adventure location) but a single encounter complete with a map, any traps or secret doors, and the strategies of the group of enemies PCs may fight.

Such things are usually fairly easy to steal and cannibalize for any campaign, and don't take nearly as much effort as a big adventure book.
>>
Could someone post all the listed Domains for me? I'm trying to form a setting and I need them...
>>
>>44339647
interesting idea. Creating encounters in my spare time would be a good time killer. I may go ahead and do that. Though I may wait til tomorrow to make it so I can find some inspiration tonight and sleep on it.
>>
>>44339775
Knowledge
Life
Light
Nature
Tempest
Trickery
War
Death
Arcana
>>
>>44339775
The cleric domains published between the 4 main books are: Arcane, Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War, and Death.
>>
>>44339818
>>44339800
You two rock, thank you!
>>
File: Pirate Cove.jpg (343 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Pirate Cove.jpg
343 KB, 1000x1000
>>44327919
I'm currently working on a Homebrew setting. I've always wanted creative freedom with my settings, so i've devised a world with Waystones, latent power locked within them, that when released can create a portal to a realm with similar looking portals. This is a focal point on which the peoples of the many "worlds" live by. Allows me to come up with any and all aesthetically pleasing worlds I want. that makes me happy
>>
>>44334206
From time to time gives them a win win, if they always end almost dead they might feel a little incompetent. Give them a good win to remind them they're heroes.
>>
Hey guys I'll start to play with a group, I must create a level 4 character. I'm thinking in a Necromancer, but Necromancers seems kind of "meh" in 5e, which is a good way to create one since we cant create a Dragon Zombie, and stuff like that?
>>
How do I get a better sense of scale? Assume I'm looking at the Sword Coast map, how do I figure how long should it take to get from point A to point B; how far can adventurers get just travelling the "road" (on foot, on horseback, etc.).

I've looked at the travel times table, but it's still something that's always been difficult for me to get a handle on as a DM.
>>
>>44341232
This is where 5E falls flat on its face. The old FR grey box came with four giant (poster-size) maps for two different scales, plus hex overlays. You planted a hex with a dot on the place you started from, drew your route on it with a chinagraph, counted the hexes and worked it out with the rulebooks that had tables for every travel occasion.
>>
File: 1385758496986.png (1 MB, 441x603) Image search: [Google]
1385758496986.png
1 MB, 441x603
>>44327919

Currently working on a Stone-age setting, I'm making sure to do atleast a bit of work per day, wether it's expanding on the world , ie gods/old ones, and so forth, or limiting the existing options due to nonexistant technology or the idea not fitting the flavor I'm looking for (like cavemen teleporting around) aswell as jotting down adventure seeds
>>
>>44338553
I'm still quite new to 5e, but I don't care much for the given Backgrounds. I go with the Starting Wealth by Class on p143, and Customizing a Background at the beginning of the Background section.
Two Skills, two Proficiencies, buy an Explorer's pack, pick from the lot of established Features and make up my own simple backstory with them.

Making one up right now. Variant Human was separated from his family as a baby for unknown reasons, no idea why, was taken in by a group of land-based half-elf traders. Learned Elvish as a result. Working to carry stuff, be the muscle among the more frail half-elves and handy with maintaining the carts, a focus on Strength, a proficiency with Tinker's Tools and operating land vehicles. The great amount of traveling made him familiar with the land, so Wanderer Feature. The common need to talk with others in trading, keeping track of details, Persuasion and Investigation skills. One dear friend taught him some basic cantrips, he grew to become a Fighter with Magic Initiate Feat.

To relate that to existing backgrounds, you could see it as a mix of Guild Artisan with the Variant Merchant Guild angle, Outlander and whatever. Then I'll make that a more narrated story-like paragraph, give him a trinket from aforementioned dear friend. I'd genuinely flesh out his backstory as the game went on rather than overdesign and build up a lot of stuff that likely wouldn't come into play.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.