[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Devil Summoner: New Cycle Quest #24
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 16
File: Title New Cycle 2.jpg (250 KB, 900x596) Image search: [Google]
Title New Cycle 2.jpg
250 KB, 900x596
Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Devil%20Summoner%20London%20Quest
Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/4keHKgX4
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MolochQM

As you watch, Petra first flexes her fingers and then clenches her hand into a tight fist. As if that proves something, settling the issue of her health beyond all debate, she looks at you with triumphant eyes – rather, a triumphant EYE. It's hard to imagine her as entirely fit and healthy, with that patch of black silk covering a not insignificant part of her face.

Raphael, you were told, drove his thumb into her eye so hard that the bones around it were fractured, a few pounds of pressure away from shattering completely. Luck, and perhaps a perversion of what could be considered “mercy”, were the only things to save her.

Even if it wasn't for the injuries you can see, you know that there are others, hidden from plain sight. You saw the bruise – a splattered mixture of black, purple and even yellow – spreading across Petra's torso, a relic from your fight with Kagutsuchi. Now, heedless of her own vulnerability, she wants to go out and fight, as if nothing could go wrong. At least she's consulting you first – you almost expected her to charge off on her own, against all advice you could possibly give her.

It's what you'd do, if your positions were reversed.
>>
>>44322201

“Anyway,” Petra continues, with a note of what can only be described as petulance in her voice, “You took a hit to the face, yes? No bed rest that time, was there?”

Your initial reaction is to insist that your injury was totally different – and perhaps it was, considering that losing an eye is a little more serious than gaining a small scar on the nose – but you sense that she wouldn't listen. Again, just like you wouldn't listen if she was the one scolding you. In a way, it feels like it should be – the strangeness of ordering about a girl several years your senior has never quite worn off, even if giving those orders has become natural. You learn quick, but you're not as quick to adjust.

Of course, it could be that there is no need to go rushing off into the fray right away. True, Titania is eager to have her soldiers explore the Western forest but perhaps she could be persuaded to wait a day. Cernunnos, that brash, barbarian huntsman, could be harder to convince, however. A direct order from the queen might do it, but...

“Mia,” Petra says quietly, interrupting your thoughts, “I can do this. I want to do this. I can't do research – magic makes no sense to me, yes? If I could help that way, I could, but I can't. All I can do is fight.”

And that's it, isn't it? All this is down to a fear of being useless – or, worse, being discarded. Biting your lip as you think, you pick your next words carefully.

>Alright, you've convinced me. We'll get to work
>I'm sorry, but you need more time to recover. It's dangerous to go out like this
>I think we could all do with a day off, don't you?
>Other
>>
>>44322205
>>I think we could all do with a day off, don't you?
I'm hurt, you're hurt, Leon is hurt, Elliot finally understands the score and needs to come to terms, and Joseph needs to get deprogrammed from his stay with the archangels.
>>
>>44322205
>I'm sorry, but you need more time to recover. It's dangerous to go out like this
"Just a day alright? Give the magic some more time to do its work. I can't let you risk your life while you are this injured like this. I don't want to lose you or anyone else to a show of bravado. I just can't."
>>
>>44322205
>>I think we could all do with a day off, don't you?
I kinda want to see what's in that forest but this isn't the best time for that.
>>
>>44322290
>>44322292
>>44322306

You're sorry – really, you are – but Petra needs some more time to recover. Just a day, you stress, to let the magic sink in properly. It's too dangerous to go out like this, injured and ill-tempered. You couldn't stand it if you lost her – or anyone else – because of a show of bravado. Just one day, you tell Petra, alright?

“But-” she begins, but then she falls silent. Her fingers slowly curl into a loose fist, and this time she doesn't try to hide the tremor that runs through her face when she does so. “One day, yes?”

That's what you said, you reply, isn't it? Besides, it's not just her that needs some time – you're hurt, Leon is hurt, Elliot needs some more time to come to terms with what he saw, and even Joseph could use some time. True, it seems like he had all the time in the world, but that might be the problem. You want to be sure that he isn't suffering from some unknown after effect from his time with the Archangels – Stockholm Syndrome, or anything of that ilk. Overall, you think you could all do with a day off, doesn't she?

“Fine, fine,” Petra flaps her hands at you, seemingly mollified by the idea that everyone is in the same boat, “A nice lazy day, yes? No picking fights, no searching out trouble – sounds dull, if you ask me. Safe, yes, but dull.”

You think back to your fight with the Archangels – is that really what Petra considers to be “fun”? - and remind her that not every day can be an adventure. Even your demons need some time to recover.

“No adventures, I understand,” Petra allows herself a small smile, “What, then?”

>Go and ask Scathach some questions
>Check up on Elliot, see how he's doing
>Visit Leon and see how he's healing
>Other

>For choosing multiple options, please list them in the order you'd like to do them
>>
>>44322403
>Visit Leon and see how he's healing
Then
>Check up on Elliot, see how he's doing
Then finally
>Go and ask Scathach some questions
>>
>>44322403
>>44322431
Go with this. I kinda forgot Leon was still around actually.
>>
>>44322475
We rescued him then he immediately got stabbed and put out of commission for awhile. He also doesn't have his phone which kinda sucks.
>>
>>44322431
>>44322475

You might stop by Leon's room and see how he's recovering, you tell Petra, to start with at least. You've not really had a chance to check up on him since he was taken into the fairies' care, and he might be getting lonely. Or, perhaps more accurately, he might be getting pretty irritated. Compared with the wound he took – a stab right through the guts – Petra got off pretty lightly.

“I think Elliot visited him a while ago,” Petra muses, “I didn't hear any fighting, so they must have build some bridges, yes? Or maybe Leon just can't move about enough to fight.” She hides a smile, then, before continuing, “Maybe that's more likely, yes?”

Well, you add as you're turning to leave, perhaps you'll go to see Elliot later. Check up on him and see how he's hanging in there. What about her, what's Petra going to be doing?

“Not much,” Petra shrugs aimlessly, “Maybe find a book – something light and easy, yes? No use breaking my arms with a massive tome.”

Then maybe you'll see her later as well, you conclude, if you stop by the archives. You've got a few questions that you'd like to ask Scathach, and this might be a good time to do it. Stepping out into the corridor, you wave Petra goodbye and start to fumble your way through the castle, seeking out Leon's quarters. The fairies seem to have some curious formality about men and women sleeping close together, for the guest chambers you were placed within are segregated. The male wing is the mirror image of the female one, with the rooms branching off in the opposite direction – enough of a difference to leave you subtly disorientated.

Going door to door, you knock on each one until you hear a voice calling you inside. Leon, it would seem, is the sole guest. Letting yourself in, you take the closest chair to the bed and sit.
>>
>>44322602

Leon looks more like a patient recovering from some vital surgery than anything else – which, you consider, might not be an inappropriate comparison to make. He certainly had internal injuries, even if they were closed up with sorcery as opposed to mundane means. His torso is bare, wrapped only in bandages and a loose unbuttoned shirt. Seeing you, he struggles to sit up. He needs to shave, you note, his cheeks being covered with a rough stubble.

So, you say to break the awkward silence, how is he?

“Better than I was,” he croaks, his voice still ragged and worn, “Can sit up without coughin' up a pint of fuckin' blood.”

You're not sure if that's a joke or not.

“Nae joke,” Leon shakes his head, “Fuck knows how it got there, since I got it in the guts. Weird fuckin' side effects maybe. Gettin' stitched together by little fuckin' Pixies with their fairy dust. That ain't right, I tell you.”

You're still not sure if that's a joke or not. When he wants to, Leon can deliver the greatest deadpan voice you've ever heard. As you sit, then, you're forced to realise that you don't really know how to talk to him – certainly not alone, at least, with a vital topic to steer the conversation along. What kind of things, you wonder, does he like? What kind of person is he, really? As it happens, Leon is the first one to speak up.

“I, uh, I never said thanks,” he mutters, gruffly, “For gettin' me outta there. I mean, you could've fuckin' walked away – you didn't.”

What would be the suitable thing, you wonder, to say to that?

>I'll be going back there soon enough to get your phone, don't worry
>Be honest, why did you go there in the first place?
>I'm just glad we got you out alive
>Other
>>
>>44322674
>>Be honest, why did you go there in the first place?
>>I'm just glad we got you out alive
Charging a demon with just a knife is almost as crazy as trying to fight an archangel toe to toe. Both you and Petra are crazy. Not enough of us left to fall apart now.
>>
>>44322674
>I'm just glad we got you out alive
"It got pretty rough there at the end. You missed it but the bastard tried to self destruct and blow us all up."

>I'll be going back there soon enough to get your phone, don't worry
"Hopefully beating the Intoxicating One while we are at it, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

"Can I ask you something?"
>Why did you go there in the first place?
>>
File: 1450404474881.png (21 KB, 488x469) Image search: [Google]
1450404474881.png
21 KB, 488x469
>>44322706
>Charging a demon with just a knife is almost as crazy as trying to fight an archangel toe to toe.

The same can be said for decapitating a exploding demon or carving through a giants head Mia.
>>
>>44322734
We have a teleporting get out a bad situation knife they don't
>>
>>44322674
>>Be honest, why did you go there in the first place?
>>I'm just glad we got you out alive

>>44322734
Petra's older. She should know better
>>
>>44322790
>>44322781
>Petra's older. She should know better
Well Petra didn't really try to fight Raphael. She was caught like a deer in the headlights and just managed to pivot away from his sword. She wasn't challenging him or anything.
>>
>>44322781
Still got clocked in the face after charging a demon with a knife right after Leon got stabbed.

Teleporting knife or no.
>>
>>44322706
>>44322714
>>44322790

You're, well, you're just glad that you got him out alive. You say that without any particular emphasis, but it's strange to see Leon's reaction. He glances away from you, his face clouded with a kind of uncertain happiness. It must be rare, you realise, for him to hear words like those – simple words of care, even coming from a relative stranger. Clearing your throat, you add that things got pretty rough towards the end – that demon priest, a fanatic to the end, tried to blow himself at the end.

“Aye?” Leon's brow lifts in amused surprise, “Fuckin' foreigners, right?”

Uh, right. You flounder for a moment before mentioning that you plan on going back there, to the Intoxicating One's fortress, to get his phone back. He shouldn't worry about that, at least. With a little luck, you might even be able to beat up the tyrant himself. Well, you'll cross that bridge when you come to it though.

“My phone?” Leon looks confused for a moment, “Uh, yeah. Nae much use without it, am I?”

Well, there are other ways to fight – magic weapons, and such. Just, charging straight at them with a little knife isn't always... the best idea, you tell him delicately. Sometimes, it seems both him and Petra are a little crazy, that way. They should really take better care of themselves – there aren't many humans left, certainly not enough to be falling apart now.

“Guess I saw red there,” Leon shrugs a little, wincing as the motion sends some twinge of pain running through him, “Fuckin' anger issues, right? Wouldn't think it, lookin' at me, would you?”

That has to be a joke. It HAS to be. Leon himself confirms it a moment later, rasping out a low chuckle. The mood warms somewhat, encouraging you to ask a more probing question.

Be honest, you ask, why did he go out there?
>>
>>44322982

“...Wanted to see it for myself,” Leon says eventually, “When I woke up, there was nae anyone about. Started hearin' things about a paradise city in the North. Course, I knew what I was gettin' into – thought I did, at least – but I thought I could handle it. Guess I was wrong there, right?”

And if they'd accepted him, you ask softly, would he have stayed?

“Aye, maybe,” Leon looks down at the crisp bed linen, his hands shifting uneasily, “Work like that, nae different from what I used to do. What life's like, isn't it, doin' what you gotta to to survive. All alone in some world full of fuckin' monsters, what else is a guy like me gonna do? Someone who can squash you like a fuckin' ant tells you to do somethin', you do it. Don't matter if it's some rich bastard or a fuckin' demon king, if they sign the cheques like they promise.”

You're about to reply, then, when Leon coughs again – longer this time, and with a certain degree of pain. Red in the face, he flops back down in bed. “I'm fuckin' done,” he rasps, “Gotta rest for a bit.” A pause here as you rise to leave. “Uh, thanks. For comin' to see me, I mean.”

You hesitate at the door, once more unsure of what to say to him.

>I'll come to see you again, okay?
>Remember, you've got friends here. There's no need for any demon kings any more
>If that's your attitude, I don't know if you can be trusted
>Other
>>
>>44323041
>Remember, you've got friends here. There's no need for any demon kings any more
"And us together are a hell of a lot scarier than they are."

>I'll come to see you again, okay?
>>
>>44323041
>>I'll come to see you again, okay?
You know, when he's not trying to pick a fight with anything that moves Leon isn't such a bad guy.
>>
File: Elliot.jpg (148 KB, 450x703) Image search: [Google]
Elliot.jpg
148 KB, 450x703
>>44323113
>>44323078

Remember, you tell Leon as you linger at the door, he's got friends here. He doesn't need to go bowing down to any demon kings or other such nonsense any more. Together, you're all a hell of a lot more scary than any of them could hope to be anyway.

“Aye,” Leon sighs, “I can fuckin' believe that.”

Anyway, you offer in a bright and hopefully cheerful voice, you'll come to see him again sometime, okay? You even mean that, finding his company to be more pleasant that you expected. Perhaps his experiences have humbled him somewhat, and taught him a little something about restraint. Waving goodbye – a wave that Leon returns, although his hand seems weak and clumsy – you exit his chamber and head out into the corridor. Unused to the male side of the castle, you immediately turn the wrong way and find yourself walking into a dead end. Smart.

Once you've taken a moment to orient yourself, it's relatively easy going finding your way back to the centre of the palace, and then moving onto the banquet chamber – Elliot might be there, going where the money is. You're correct about finding him here, but he's not running the card racket you were expecting. Far from it, in fact, as you find him slumped forwards at one of the tables, his tweed jacket slung over the back of his chair and his sleeves rolled up. Even in his gloomy state, he refused to let his beloved clothes touch the stained wood – how typical of him.

As you sit down opposite him, Elliot notices you and sits upright, forcing an expression of vague optimism. “Mia dear,” he says, with the usual foppish levity, “What brings you here?”

>I wanted to see how you were doing
>I heard you visited Leon, earlier
>I wanted to get a neutral opinion on Cassandra. She might be in trouble
>Other
>>
>>44323300
>I wanted to see how you were doing. You okay?
>>
>>44323300
>I wanted to see how you were doing

>I heard you visited Leon, earlier
"Past grievances about owed money gone?"

>I wanted to get a neutral opinion on Cassandra. She might be in trouble
"I know she has her own mission that she wants to accomplish alone, but I'm scared she'll get herself killed doing it. She sounds worse every time I see or call her."

We may have to tear up the East to make sure she is safe, Michael or no.
>>
File: 1450625826202.png (341 KB, 500x870) Image search: [Google]
1450625826202.png
341 KB, 500x870
Saw this pic. Thought of Amelia and Titania back in the day.
>>
>>44323300
>>I wanted to see how you were doing
>>I wanted to get a neutral opinion on Cassandra. She might be in trouble
>>44323526
I'm amazed Mia managed to get a full night of sleep
>>
>>44323535
>>44323390
>>44323336

You wanted to see how he was doing, before anything else. Things were pretty rough back there, with Petra, and you were worried about how he took things.

“Well,” Elliot says lightly, “I shan't pretend that I wasn't shaken by it all. I don't think I'll ever be able to see this world the same way again – although I dare say that I might share that outlook with Petra, albeit on a rather less literal sense.”

He's seriously making jokes about that already?

“Too soon?” a faint frown passes across Elliot's face, “I imagine she'd make the same joke herself, if only to keep up that air of strength she is so enamoured with. But, to answer your original question in more simple words, I'm holding myself together. Hysteria won't do us any good, now will it?”

You've got to admit that he might have a point there. You're not entirely convinced that he's as okay as he's letting on, but you'd much rather have him acting strong than going to pieces. Anyway, you say as you change the subject, you heard he visited Leon earlier. Past grievances about money forgotten?

“You know, that's the wonderful thing about the end of the world,” Elliot offers a sly smile, “I've suddenly found myself debt free – isn't that just the most wonderful thing? Now that there's nothing darkening our relationship – almost nothing, I should say – there was nothing stopping me from playing a few little games with our Scottish friend. Card games, I mean – don't get any funny ideas, young lady.”

Funny... ideas? Were you supposed to be thinking of anything other than card games?

“That's the spirit!” Elliot winks, “But, ah, perhaps there was something else you wanted to talk about?”

Yes. Yes there was. You wanted his opinion, actually, on a certain problem.
>>
>>44323627

“Nothing too serious, I hope,” Elliot replies, but then the lightness in his voice falters when he sees your face, “Ah, it's something serious, isn't it?”

It might be, you tell him, before going on to explain Cassandra's situation. She might have fallen in with a bad crowd, you suggest, and there might come a time when her objectives might fall out of line with your own. When that happens, you murmur, you really don't know what you'll do. She's got her own mission, something she's trying to do alone, and you're worried that she'll get herself killed doing it.

“And you've talked with her about this?” Elliot asks, his voice sharp and distinct now, rather than dripping with the vague whimsy that usually fills it, “She knows that you're worried about her?”

You've talked twice, you confirm, and she seemed worse both times. She's on a downward spiral, and you don't know what you can do to help. The only point of light is the fact that she was willing to meet with Amelia on the night of the full moon – if only she can live that long.

“The problem, as I understand it, is that Cassandra is intent on doing this alone,” Elliot muses, “And, as we both know, that's a terrible idea. But, as we ALSO know, it might be too dangerous for us to intervene. If she is running about the East, getting into scrapes with an Archangel or three, there's not much we can do, other than dying beside her. It's a tricky issue, no doubt about it, and I don't have a good answer for you. I DO have an answer, but it might not be worth much.”

You'll take it anyway. You'll take anything he can offer you.

“Get her to throw in the towel,” Elliot shrugs, “Make it clear, as clear as possible, that she'll be in serious trouble if she doesn't.”

And he thinks she'll go along with that?

“Good lord no!” Elliot laughs, “But she might be willing to join forces, to have a better shot at survival.”
>>
>>44323770

Maybe, just maybe, he's got a point. Mulling it over, you lean back in the high-backed wooden chair and tap a finger on the table. It's not anything that could be called a plan – more of a vague approach, if that – but it's about as good as anything else you've come up with lately. Your other option was simply to wait and see what happened, along with hoping for the best. Compared with that, Elliot's idea seems like international diplomacy.

“So it might work, or it might not,” Elliot sighs, holding his hands palm up in a gesture empty of any real significance, “The important thing is to do something – anything – in a situation like this. Even choosing to do nothing, perversely, is a valid choice.”

You're not quite sure of the logic behind that, but okay. Standing, you decide to check on Scathach – it's about time she gave you some answers to some fairly important questions.

>Head to the archives to speak with Scathach
>Ask Elliot a few more questions (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>44323834
We should doublecheck if she's "acquired" some VERY INTERESTING angelic specimen to forge with using some partially divine power on extremely weakened someones.
>>
>>44323834
>Straight to Scathach
>>
>>44323834
>Other
Text Cass
'You know how I said be doubly careful out there? Be triply careful now. Its speculation but we think Uriel and Raphael threw in their lot with Nyarly and who knows what kind of power that got them. Stay safe.'
>>
>>44323834
>>44323906
>>Head to the archives to speak with Scathach
Sending a text to Cass is a good idea though
>>
File: Scathach.png (203 KB, 323x426) Image search: [Google]
Scathach.png
203 KB, 323x426
>>44323998
>>44323906
>>44323875
>>44323874

Bidding Elliot farewell – he looks better now, having had the chance to speak with you – you decide to head straight to the archives to speak with Scathach. Perhaps not straight there, as an idea flashes across your mind. On the way, you tap out a quick text message and send it to Cassandra, informing her of recent events. She should be extra EXTRA careful now, it reads, because the two Archangels might have thrown in their lot with Nyarlathotep.

You think that's how it's spelled, at least, even if your phone's autocorrect tries to claim otherwise. You send the message off and slip your phone into your pocket only for hit to chime a few moments later. A return message, from Cassandra, that simply reads: Wonderful.

And to think, you used to have trouble recognising sarcasm in text messages.

Arriving at the archives, you are almost immediately set upon by Scathach, who swoops down upon you, approaching uncomfortably close and launching into a flurry of comments and questions.

“I hear you've been starting fights with the Archangels,” she purrs, “Tell me everything, were they dangerous? How dangerous, exactly? I hear that every single one of them has a mortal wound, can you confirm this? Tell me, were they hindered in any way by these injuries, or were they purely symbolic?”

Floundering, you take a step back and try to answer her questions in order. They were extremely dangerous, you tell the inquisitive demon, regardless of their injuries. Uriel was blind, true enough, but Raphael was hardly bothered by his wounds.

“I SEE,” Scathach hums, “By any chance, did they leave anything behind? Weapons, armour fragments, wing feathers? Or...” her voice turns furtive here, “Blood? Tissue samples, a limb, perhaps?”

>We tore off one of Uriel's arms. It might still be there
>This is freaky. Whatever this is, leave me out of it
>Never mind that now, I want to know about the Divine Fragment you've got
>Other
>>
>>44324075
>>This is freaky. Whatever this is, leave me out of it
>>....unless you'd like to share about a certain Divine Fragment that's VERY nearby.
>>
>>44324075
I've never seen her this excited. I'm surprised she never did this with Amelia back then.
>Uhhh.. we tore off one of Uriel's arms. It might still be there

>Anyways, I want to know about the Divine Fragment you've got
>>
>>44324126
>>44324075
Also adding onto this.
"You know you can ask Joseph to let you talk to Gabriel if you want specifics. And no you are not allowed to 'work' with her."
>>
>>44324075
>>We tore off one of Uriel's arms. It might still be there
Offer to trade it for the divine fragment maybe? It's a pretty uneven deal though.
>>44324126
Scatach seems to have a new interest in divinity in general. She might be up to something.
>>
>>44324174
>Scatach seems to have a new interest in divinity in general. She might be up to something.

I think its because she is a researcher and scientist she hasn't done anything with the fragment like the others have. She wants to study it.
>>
>>44324114
>>44324126
>>44324159
>>44324174

This is weird, seriously freaky, and you don't want to have anything to do with it. You say that as you take a very deliberate step backwards, but then you look back up at the white mask of Scathach's face. But, you add, you might be persuaded to discuss it some more if Scathach is willing to share some of her own information. Information about a certain nearby divine fragment, perhaps?

“So you've heard,” Scathach sounds unsurprised, “Really, I'm amazed it took this long for someone to talk. Secrets have a habit of growing legs around here – after all, I know about practically everything that goes on within the kingdom, and I rarely need to leave here. So, are you here to vanquish me and take the fragment for yourself?”

What, you stammer, of course not! You just wanted to ask about it, that's all. Shaking your head in disbelief, you explain that during your fight Uriel lost one of his arms. It MIGHT still be there, where he left it. But if she's really interested in Archangels, she might do better to ask Joseph about them – he spent some time around then, and even has one in his service. You're sure that Gabriel would be more help than you could be – just, Scathach would need to limit herself to questions only. Nothing... invasive.

“A shame,” Scathach shrugs, “But you said that Uriel lost one of his arms? Interesting, interesting indeed – be a good girl and fetch it for me, will you?”

What?

“Bring it to me,” the demon explains, “And then we can talk business. Does that offer interest you? I might even throw in a little extra, if you like – angel bone is said to be very... versatile.”

Like you said, seriously freaky.

>I guess I'll get that “item” for you
>No deal. This is too weird
>You've got your own plan here, don't you?
>Other
>>
File: 1450799026949.jpg (56 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
1450799026949.jpg
56 KB, 600x455
>>44324346
Yeesh. Can't hurt thought.
>I guess I'll get that “item” for you
>You've got your own plan here, don't you?
"Are you comparing the 'Great Will''s divinity to actual, world creating divinity or something?"
>>
>>44324346
>>I guess I'll get that “item” for you
>>You've got your own plan here, don't you?
You're not actually allied with Nyarly, are you? Neutral is fine, but just....no.
>>
>>44324346
>>I guess I'll get that “item” for you
>>You've got your own plan here, don't you?
Kinda wonder what she can make with an angel's arm.
>>
>>44324489
>>44324421
>>44324378

Looking Scathach in the eye – there's a lively fascination in those bright eyes of hers, the thrill of a scientist on the verge of a grand discovery – you sigh and tell her that you'll get that “item” she wants. Someone, you can't quite bring yourself to go into a full description. It feels less like defiling a grave, that way. You've just got one question before you leave – she's got her own plan going on here, doesn't she?

“Child, everyone has their own plan,” Scathach tells you, “No matter what they say to your face, they've got their own motivations and goals – all you can do is hope that their align with yours as much as possible.”

...That doesn't really answer your question.

“Dear me,” Scathach laughs, a fluttery sound, “Fine. Yes, I have my own experiments. A girl needs to keep herself amused, doesn't she?”

She's not in league with HIM, is she? Not Nyarlathotep?

“You said one question,” Scathach winks, “Now bring me that arm, and we can talk some more.” Sighing again, you turn to walk out of the archive, only pausing when Scathach's voice rings out again. “Remember, there's something in this for you, and not just the joy of scientific progress!”

You know a thing or two about scientific progress – Marco would often speak fondly of it – but you doubt you'll see a lot of it coming out of Scathach's experiments. At best, you'll count yourself lucky if you don't end up committing a war crime before this whole adventure is over. There's no sign of Petra as you leave the castle, a vague guilt dogging your steps. You feel, in a way, like you're sneaking out behind her back. It's silly – you're just picking something up, no different from going to the shops really – but you can't shake it.
>>
File: Ghoul.jpg (57 KB, 546x1256) Image search: [Google]
Ghoul.jpg
57 KB, 546x1256
>>44324689

Striding out into the wasteland, you nevertheless feel the usual sense of adventure – tempered, slightly, with the shadow of dread. As you walk towards the church Joseph once called home, you check your equipment carefully. Midnight is at your hip, like always, and your phone is close to hand – although Nadja's icon is darkened, the cheerful demon not yet recovered from her wounds. You're about as ready as you can be, just in case something should go wrong.

Snow crunches under your feet as you draw near to the church, your attention wavering to the buildings flanking the streets you now walk down. It's easy to spot the building Raphael tore his way into – the entire doorway was ripped out, and Uriel's escape left a hole in the roof – and you find yourself creeping inside. Stooping by the shattered floorboards, you listen for a moment, your ears picking up a chorus of growls and muted hissing. You're not alone here.

Easing forwards, you peek over the edge – a trio of ghouls occupy the basement, dragging their loathsome bodies about and lapping at pools of half-dried blood. The sight of them sickens you, bringing back all manner of unwelcome memories. This time, you whisper to yourself, things will be different.

>Retreat. They've probably eaten the stupid arm anyway
>Summon a demon and launch the attack
>Summon a demon and attack alongside it
>Other
>>
>>44324817
Hua Po. Light em up.
>>
>>44324817
Hua Po and/or the chuuni
>>
>>44324817
>>Summon a demon and launch the attack
They're down there and we're up here. Hua Po should be able to burn them even if they've got the numbers on their side.
>>
File: Hua Po.jpg (12 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
Hua Po.jpg
12 KB, 180x240
Rolled 73, 80 = 153 (2d100)

>>44324886
>>44324848
>>44324843

Fish in a barrel, you find yourself murmuring as you summon Hua Po, the little fairy immediately filling the darkened room with light and warmth. That heat draws the ire of that small group of ghouls, all three looking up and snarling, their voices raised in a sudden mass of howls. One even leaps up, swinging a festering claw at your feet – it falls short, rather pathetically, and lands hard on its backside.

You laugh, nervously, at the comedic sight. Your laughter stops, abruptly, as the second ghoul leaps higher, one filthy paw grasping the broken floorboards at your feet. Just as it starts to pull itself up, Hua Po lights it up, a small fireball launched from the palm of her hand into its feral snout. Screeching as it burns, it tumbles from the ledge. The remaining two back away from the burning carcass, barking and snapping with fury. Then, the change coming sharply, their barks devolve into coughing. Something isn't right here – they're up to something. Shouting for Hua Po to burn the rest of them, you step back from the ledge.

>Please roll 2D100. I'll take the highest of the first three!
>>
Rolled 74, 92 = 166 (2d100)

>>44325021
Goddamnit
>>
File: Sweatin.png (142 KB, 415x367) Image search: [Google]
Sweatin.png
142 KB, 415x367
>>44325030
Made it by 1
>>
Rolled 55, 89 = 144 (2d100)

>>44325030
>>44325021
Damn son.
>>
>>44325030
Local fairy is fucking invincible
>>
Rolled 70, 64 = 134 (2d100)

>>44325021
>>
>>44325030

As their coughing ends abruptly, the ghouls draw back their hands and fling some dark, clumpy liquid at Hua Po, droplets of the vile fluid spilling out to drip on the floorboards around you. Taking another step backwards, you peer down at the gunk and grimace, flinching away from the acrid scent. It's some revolting mixture of blood and poison, wrenched up from deep within the ghouls' own bodies.

“Gross!” Hua Po yelps, twisting in mid air as she dives around the projectiles, “Gross, gross, gross!” Her cries of revulsion end sharply as the little fairy scrapes together her composure, focussing on the task of wiping out the source of her disgust. Pressing her palms together – a gesture that reminds you, somehow, of Sati – Hua Po wreathes her fingers in fire, the flames dripping like liquid. Taking a brief moment to savour the flames, she then releases the spell, hurling the blazing orbs down towards the pair of uncouth demons.

Running was never an option, and neither was hiding. They never stood a chance, really.

The ghouls reek as they burn, filling the air with a scent that is awful, if not overtly poisonous. You have to leave the building to breath the cleaner air, only entering once the blaze has died down to the dying embers, gathered around blackened bones. Dusting off your hands, you hop down into the basement and look around, hoping that the ghouls haven't eaten Uriel's discarded arm.

It seems like they've eaten everything else here, even lapping up the blood that had been growing thick and sticky upon the ground. Yet, perhaps warded off by some primitive fear, the arm is intact, lying in a pool of shadows.
>>
File: Kin-ki.jpg (503 KB, 1416x2648) Image search: [Google]
Kin-ki.jpg
503 KB, 1416x2648
>>44325376

When you stoop to pick it up, you recoil in revolted horror – the thing is still warm, still throbbing with a vague and terrible life. Shuddering, you reach out and gently poke the shorn limb, pulling your hand back quickly as the broad fingers twitch in response. Even though it has been several hours since it was ripped from the socket, the thing is still alive?

...Maybe you'll let Kin-Ki carry this back. It's a little too bulky for you anyway.

“It would be my pleasure,” the muscular demon booms once you summon him, flexing his gilded muscles, “To give you a-”

Don't say it.

“To give you a ha-” he tries again, stubbornly.

DON'T.

“...I'll help you with it,” he rumbles, pouting. Picking the discarded limb up, he leaps up to the floor above and waits, patiently, as you wrestle with the destroyed stairs. As you're leading the hulking Oni back through the winding Winter streets, you can only think of how strange you must look to any observers. A small girl leading a demon strongman, burdened by a severed arm that clutches and grasps at the air.

This is so weird. You bet Amelia never had to do anything this weird.

When you arrive back at the fairy kingdom, you waste no time at all in hurrying straight to the archives, hoping desperately that the severed arm doesn't grab any Pixies as you hurry past. For once your luck is in, and you make it to the library without any unwanted “incidents”. Scathach, needless to say, looks delighted.

“Oh, it's better than I had hoped!” she announces, clasping her hands together in wonder, “Ah, but your gift – a few questions, first. The bone is divine – it would harm devils, as a weapon, or protect against holy magic, as attire. However, I could taint it, reversing the properties – it would become a potent weapon against angels, or protect against deathly magic. What would you prefer?”

>A divine weapon
>A tainted weapon
>A divine piece of attire
>A tainted piece of attire
>>
I think we should get armor for sure, but the question is, Null Light or Null Dark?
>>
>>44325612
>A tainted piece of attire
I think we'll be dealing with Mudo more often than Hama, specially with Law so messed up.
>>
>>44325684
Humans are immune to Light instant death by default, so unless tainted angel armor would give us the weakness there's not really a debate here.
>>
>>44325742
Holy damage still hurts us though. I remember asking that question back when we fought Raph as Amelia.

But yeah I think Null Dark would be better.
>>
File: 1445236130740.jpg (103 KB, 907x718) Image search: [Google]
1445236130740.jpg
103 KB, 907x718
>>44325612
>That whole scene
We've also got some unknown prize coming from Moloch. That might have Null Dark on it
>>
>>44325770
If it does we can give it to Petra or someone. The more people with armor the better.
>>
>>44325801
Yeah. In that case I'll cast my vote for tainted armor as well. We might not even get the chance to score Moloch's prize. Can't be certain it isn't a trap or another empty room.
>>44325612
>>A tainted piece of attire
>>
>>44325741
>>44325839
>>44325760

A tainted piece of attire, you decide. You really don't like the sound of “deathly” magic, and it that protects against it, you're all for it.

“I see,” Scathach nods, taking the severed arm from Kin-Ki and dropping it into her desk, letting it flop loathsomely as she returns her attention to you. “It may take slightly longer than you're used to, but I assure you that it will be worth the wait. Now, I believe you were asking about my plans?”

That's right, you say, forcefully averting your eyes from the writhing arm. She's going alone, right? No shady deals with Nyarlathotep, or any other unknown horrors?

“That fool?” Scathach laughs shortly, “My, no. All he's interested in is carnage and chaos. He'd set this whole world on fire, if he thought it was the most amusing option. I suppose it's only our good fortune that means we're all alive now – with the power he held, briefly, he could have destroyed both your world and mine. But then, how would be keep himself interested? So, no, I would never ally myself with him – or any of those other boors out there.”

Those others?

“Yes, the others who have claimed divine fragments. Honestly, they gain a fraction of divine power, and what do they do with it? They build golden cities and dilapidated villages, or they plant sprawling forests. Honestly, divinity is wasted on the divine – although perhaps you might have thought that yourself, hmm?”

...This conversation isn't about you. It's about her, and why she's taken one of the fragments for herself, yet not used it for anything.

“I'm studying it, of course,” Scathach tuts, as if you should have known that already, “That, and these angels. I wish to study divinity in all its forms, any way I can. It's, shall we say, an area I find somewhat compelling. We fairies have our own, curious forms of divinity.”
>>
>>44326094

They do?

“Oh yes,” Scathach sounds pleased – eager to flaunt her knowledge, “According to our own mythic cycles, the boundaries between men, demons and gods are not as solid as some might think. It is said that the horned god of the hunt, Cernunnos himself, was once a mortal huntsman. A demon known as Setanta took on a measure of divine blood, becoming reborn as the hero Cu Chulainn. This is our divinity, and I wish to see if the Great Will has his own variety – a different strain, if you will. And then, of course, there is your precious human divinity – the divine fragments, stolen from Amelia and scattered across this land.”

What about devils, you ask, do they have a kind of divinity?

“An infernal type, yes, as possessed by great Lucifer,” there is a strangely dismissive tone in her voice, here, “But it's easily studied. Some devils will sell their divinity for a price that can only be considered insulting. I've had my fill of their bland, mundane methods.” A pause, and then her voice brightens, “So! Did you actually understand any of that?”

>Uh...
>You never explained WHY you're doing this
>That's great and all, but I'm going to need that fragment
>Other
>>
>>44326190
>>
>>44326190
>>Other
"Honestly yeah. The gist of it anyways."

"Is it just the pursuit of knowledge?"

>>
>>44326190
>>You never explained WHY you're doing this
>>Other
When your experiments are over can we have the fragment?
>>
Honestly I am curious to what she might find out comparing them all.
>>
>>44326397
If I'm remembering this correctly, at the end of the last cycle Amelia claimed something called the "true" divinity. That suggests that the others aren't what they claim to be.
>>
>>44326430
Yeah I assume the 'True'/World Creation Divinity trumps all.

The others probably come from the power given via human belief/the mythology.
>>
>>44326353
>>44326286
>>44326237

Honestly? Yes, most of it at least. Enough to get an idea of what she's talking about, at least. Of course, you couldn't really say whether or not any of it was actually TRUE, but still. You did understand enough, however, you notice that she never explained why she was doing it all. Was it purely for the pursuit of knowledge, or is she working towards some eventual goal?

“I see myself as a scientist,” Scathach purrs, “It is my duty to push boundaries in the search of knowledge, defying any who would try to stop me. This is a rare opportunity I have been granted, the chance to study something to unique. It would be a grave sin for me to pass it up.” She stops here, apparently assuming that you'll take her at her word. You don't, though, and wait patiently, silently, for her to continue. “Also,” she adds eventually, “I suppose I have a more selfish motivation. Nothing so mundane as immortality or even god-like power, but...”

But...?

“Ah, you are persistent!” Scathach sighs, “I'm trying to understand the process by which a human might, in our tradition, become a demon. If I can learn a difference between the divinity of fairies, and this other source of divine power, I may be able to... speed the process along. But please, don't ask me why. A woman must keep some of her mystique, wouldn't you agree?”

That's... that's great and all, you reply slowly, but you're going to need that fragment. Or rather, Amelia is going to need it. So, if you could come to some kind of arrangement...

“Oh no, that simply won't do,” Scathach says quickly, shaking her head, “I still have so many experiments to run, so many tests to perform!”
>>
>>44326596

What about, you suggest, after her experiments are finished? You must assume that these tests of hers won't destroy the fragment – can you even destroy divinity? So, once she's done everything she wanted to do with it, then could you have it?

“I make no guarantees,” Scathach offers, rare caution in her voice, “There is the chance that my results might require the fragment to remain here permanently. However, the opposite cannot be excluded either – if the fragment proves unnecessary, you may have it. I would offer it to you with a smile upon my face.”

Well, you wouldn't really be able to tell, but that's a good thing to hear nonetheless. At the very least, you've got plenty of other things to be getting on with while she perform her esoteric brand of science. The chance of Scathach's refusal to hand the fragment over hangs over you like a spectre, but you force yourself to move past that for now. That's a bridge you'll have to cross when you get to it, if you get to it.

“So,” Scathach muses, tapping a gloved finger against her bone white mask, “Shall we call that a deal?”

>It's a deal, then
>You've got until the full moon, and then I want it
>No deal. Hand that fragment over
>Other
>>
>>44326659
>>It's a deal, then
"But if we gather the other 4 before you finish, we are going to need it then."

>Other
"Tell me what you find out sometime yeah?"
>>
>>44326659
>>It's a deal, then
What else are we going to do, beat her up and take it?
>>44326734
But yeah, ask about her results every so often. Makes me wonder if she'd like to talk with Marco. He's a scientist, right?
>>
File: 1445288738738.png (1 MB, 1085x729) Image search: [Google]
1445288738738.png
1 MB, 1085x729
>>44326791
>Makes me wonder if she'd like to talk with Marco. He's a scientist, right?
They'd probably get al-

>"I'm trying to understand the process by which a human might, in our tradition, become a demon"

>Marco
>Minotaur

Hmm...
>>
>>44326832
Alright, we're not introducing Marco to fairy Mengele. That was a terrible idea.
>>
>>44326857
Well I don't think she'll experiment on him if thats what you are thinking. Else she deals with the ire of Mia and the other humans. And Marco is going to go down in the archives probably to be Carnby 2.0

I'm just thinking if he remembers more he could give her insights about her project.
>>
>>44326734
>>44326791

It's a deal then, you tell Scathach, trying to hide a smile as she claps her hands together with strangely childish delight. It almost makes you reluctant to add a little caveat to your arrangement. If you gather the other four fragments before she's finished with her experiments, you warn her, you won't be able to wait indefinitely – you'll need the fifth, there and then.

“I suppose it's only fair,” Scathach sighs, in the voice of someone taking what they know to be a poor deal, “I'll have to speed my experiments along, then. Ah well, I needn't worry too much about “safety” or “ethics”, wouldn't you agree?”

She even does the air quotes when she says that. Since when do demons use air quotes?

“I'm joking, of course,” Scathach laughs, waving away your concern, “Yes, we'll call it a deal. I appreciate your willingness to tolerate the whims of this old lady.”

A joke – sure. Shaking off whatever lingering concern you might have, you ask her to keep you in the loop. Let you know what she learns, if she should happen to make a breakthrough – that's all your asking.

“Ah, I'd be happy to,” the witch claps her hands again, this time causing a flash of hard white light. When your vision clears, the arm upon her desk has vanished – replaced, it would seem, with a bundle of what looks like black fabric. “Behold! Your new attire!”

Lifting it, you let the garment unfold in the air. It's... a corset. Why is it a corset?

“It was a single arm, dear,” Scathach tells you, “Hardly enough bone for a suit of armour, so I had to get creative. Don't worry, it should still protect you against all manner of dark magic. Just wear it under your clothes, if you don't want to show it off – although it's a fabulous piece of workmanship, if I do say so myself.”
>>
File: Cassandra (Before Haircut).jpg (51 KB, 585x720) Image search: [Google]
Cassandra (Before Haircut).jpg
51 KB, 585x720
>>44327047

Shortly after that announcement, and the unveiling of your new... item... Scathach waves you off, claiming a vital need to get back to work. Holding the garment by your side, you hurry from the archives, wondering just how you're supposed to wear such a thing. Petra might know – or maybe not, she looks like the type who's never worn anything other than jeans and loose shirts. As you muse on that, you are distracted by the chirping of your phone. Cassandra – she's alive, at least.

“Mia,” Cassandra says, her voice clipped and alert, “You were right. I saw them. Those dreadful, awful... things. God, I can hardly describe them – like machines, but... all wrong. They were scouring the streets, looking for something, I don't know what. Maybe me. I hope not.”

Well, you say tentatively, you're glad she's okay.

“I wanted to return your warning,” she says bluntly, “That's all. You need to watch yourself as well. That's it – I don't have time to chat.”

Okay, you say, but-

She hangs up.

Rude, but at least she took the time to warn you. Perhaps the gulf between you is narrowing once again.

>I'll have to leave things here for tonight. The next thread will be in a week, next Tuesday, and I'll stick around for any questions.
>>
>>44327258
Shit so they are out there too.

Thanks for the run Moloch.

So Law is split into 3 camps right now?

Michael's - The last YHVH aligned Archangel
Cassandra's (and probably Mastema)
Nyarly's Archangel Abominations

What are the rest of the lower tier angels doing?
>>
>>44327372

That's correct. Three camps, all of whom hate each other. The lower angels are largely split between the Michael and Mastema's sides. Michael got most of the aggressive, fighting angels, while Mastema/Cassandra have the lower, more merciful tiers.

In a straight fight, Cass would be in some serious trouble!
>>
>>44327450
>In a straight fight, Cass would be in some serious trouble!
Thats why she needs back up damnit.

I'm not saying we give up 'True' Divinity to YHVH or any other demon, but if she wants to forge Law into something better I can get behind that.
>>
File: 1449143337526.png (26 KB, 510x556) Image search: [Google]
1449143337526.png
26 KB, 510x556
>>44327450
So with YHVH out of the picture is Metatron just dead?
>>
>>44327450
Is Marco's transformation to Minotaur similar to what Scathach is hoping to achieve?
>>
>>44327504

Well, Cass wants to make Law into something better, that's something I can confirm.

>>44327565

Not dead, but not quite alive, either. Sleeping, perhaps.

>>44327596

Similar, yes, but not exactly the same process. Marco was forced into a new form, whereas a fairy transition is more natural, although slower
>>
>>44327612
So is Cu Chulainn still at the kingdom or did Cass pick him up before she left?
>>
>>44327679

Still at the kingdom. Titania keeps him busy, and Cass left in quite a hurry!
>>
>>44327699
What's Joseph and Petra been doing in our brief R&R?
>>
>>44327699
Why exactly did Mia get a corset? Was it just for the pun?
>>
>>44327699
Did Scathach scam Ose?
>>
>>44327755

They swiped some food and wine from the kitchens and holed up with Elliot's pack of cards. So much for doing something productive!

>>44327782

Correct. Corset boning. I should be a comedian.

>>44327826

Is it really a scam if he sold it willingly?
>>
>>44327851
How mad would Petra be if she found out that Mia went out acquiring divine limbs? She still might now that I think about it.

What did Leon and Elliot talk about?
>>
>>44327897

Petra wouldn't be mad, so much, but she'd be pretty irritated by it. It's not the kind of thing that would sink a friendship, but she'll have words about it later!

>What did Leon and Elliot talk about?
Secrets! Elliot decided to reveal certain truths to Leon. Strangely enough, they get on a lot better now.
>>
File: dudes.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dudes.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>44327974
>Secrets!

"btw I am actually a girl through and through. Just crossdress, nothing funky"

"Oh thank God!"
>>
>>44327974
Does Scathach still have Ose's divinity? Like, in a test tube or something?
>>
>>44328056

She sold it on a while ago, to some other devil desperately seeking a little bit of divinity - I wonder who?

>>44328006

It was a calm and entirely unawkward conversation. Leon definitely did not rupture anything during a shouting fit!
>>
>>44328165
How is Leon doing? Even with magic is he still down for a few more days?
>>
>>44328230

He's not doing too badly. Jokes aside, he got his guts stirred up pretty badly - anything too vigorous risks his wounds opening up. He could probably summon demons - if he had his phone, of course - but physical combat is out.

A day or two, and he should be up and about again.
>>
>>44328287
We should probably do what Petra did last cycle and get a duffel bag full of guns. It'll take awhile to get demons to fuse into them to make them viable but its a good alternative then constantly having to go into melee for the humans.

Although...can a demon enchant multiple guns temporarily like Undine did against Pazuzu? Like could Vivian enchant 4 guns at once?
>>
>>44328364

Depending on their strength, a demon can enchant more than one, yes. Undine was pretty weak, relatively speaking, so she could only enchant one. Vivian is much stronger, so she could enchant a group's weapons.
>>
>>44328448
>Vivian is much stronger, so she could enchant a group's weapons.
Cool. That might just be key in the fight against Mada.

Ice gun barrage!
>>
>>44328466

I'll drop the suggestion in next session. It might make a little more sense coming from Petra - since she's done this kind of thing before - but I'll give Mia the chance to decide.
>>
File: Santatron.png (29 KB, 510x556) Image search: [Google]
Santatron.png
29 KB, 510x556
>>44328541
Sounds good. Gotta run out the door now.

Thanks for the run again and happy holidays Moloch.

What will Santatron put in your stocking this year?
>>
>>44328569

I'm thinking I might pick up a 3DS at last. Maybe actually play SMT IV at last!

Happy holidays to you too!
>>
>>44328612
I know its an investment and probably expensive but have you considered importing an American 3DS? You'd have to import games but you wouldn't have to suffer the Europe curse.
>>
>>44328710

It's not something I'd considered until now, but it makes a lot of sense. It's something I plan on looking into, for sure.
>>
>>44328790
So is Leon cool with Mia? More so than he will ever with Amelia or Cass?
>>
>>44329065

Well, Leon doesn't have the same history with Mia that he has with Amelia or Cass. Plus, she DID take a hell of a risk to rescue him. I won't say that he's totally changed his ways, but she's really won him over!
>>
Thanks for running, Moloch, and enjoy your holiday.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.