[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeon Life Quest (DLQ) - Stay Me With Flagons, Comfort Me With
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: FestivalGarb_2.png (357 KB, 793x774) Image search: [Google]
FestivalGarb_2.png
357 KB, 793x774
ARCHIVE: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dungeon%20Life%20Quest
PREVIOUS THREAD: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/44276901/
CHARACTERS AND PLACES: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19gNVgtevar647l4ZumUaVH6GlJzvxLlDNKaH8DrQMWE/edit?usp=sharing

Begin PART THREE: DAUGHTER OF BABEL
>>
>>44303503
dats sum gud art, Vox
>>
File: The Poet.jpg (143 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
The Poet.jpg
143 KB, 500x708
>>44303503
You are Brianna la Croix, journeyman necromancer, and a really great night has gotten very complicated, all of a sudden.

You can feel Brigette's - the Poet's - letter in your coat pocket, thick and suddenly very heavy. The fog the minstrel vanished into rolls back, leaving no sign of the beauty with the musical voice and those deep, almost pleading eyes.

You spare a glance for Amy and Nathan, and the two of them are looking at you in concern and confusion.

Gods, they have no idea. Did they see any of it?

You feel...

> Angry
> Guilty
> Lonely
> Scared
>>
>>44303585
>> Angry
How fucking DARE she ruin a good night!
We decorated, got dressed to the nines, and she just waltzes in and fucking ruins it!
>>
>>44303585
>Scared

Putting aside the shock, she could have killed us... and there's clearly something far worse than petty megalomaniacs down here.
>>
>>44303585
> Scared
I'd prefer something like 'Worried', but that wasn't an option, so I went with what I thought the closest would be.
>>
>>44303585
> Scared
>>
>>44303585
>Scared
If she wanted to, we would be dead already.
>>
>>44303503

>> Lonely

Well shit, so much for our potential night (Why did you guys turn her down anyway?)
>>
File: 1343965005952.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
1343965005952.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>44303734
>>44303719
>>44303709
>>44303685
>this coward talk
>>44303748
Because Bri already has two SO's
>>
>>44303585

> Other (Cautious).
The Poet has got tricks; but they're not bloodthirsty. Something is aloof thats not obvious, getting run under by emotions is a bad step until thats figured out.
>>
>>44303796
This.
Poet could had shanked either us or one of our companions, retreated into the fog, and we'd be unable to do shit about it. But she didin't, so this is gonna be more complicated than the other two.
>>
>>44303585
> Angry
>>
Votes called.

Writing.
>>
>>44303709
I feel like I didn't explain this well enough. When I say 'worried', I don't mean that we're worried about us dying then and there. I'm thinking it's more of a "Why did she come and visit me?"-type thing. From Bri's perspective, it's probably very confusing. The Poet probably knows all about Brianna by now, and it doesn't look like there was anything to gain from the meeting. So judging by past actions and emotions we've seen from Bri, I think that she would try to figure out the motive of the Poet's visit was, whether good or bad.

I still think I could have described this better, but I guess it's close enough.
>>
Of the given options,
>Angry
but ideally I'd say
>Confused, Worried
I don't think Bri will like having to kill someone who's heart isn't in it.

She'll do it tho.
>>
>>44303585
>Scared

Have we been to quick to decide that every holder of a chain deserves to die outright? I mean they're all cunts, but so is most everyone else.
>>
>>44303918
They're gonna die. The Angel won't let them not be punished for their terminal sins.
The Poet's the villain, waifu or not, and we're the heroes and she's going to die. No redemption, only justice.
>>
I get the feeling the Poet is going to die like Rorschach.
>>
File: Nathan Redraw.png (364 KB, 939x2055) Image search: [Google]
Nathan Redraw.png
364 KB, 939x2055
>>44303585
You can feel the shaking building up; your heart beats against your chest like a hammer.

She could have killed you without having to think about it. Worse, she could have killed Amy or Nate, who don't get back up.

Why do this? Why come here and dance the night away?

Why did she want you?

You flinch violently when warm arms hug you from behind, only to realize it's Nathan.

"Bri," the Hero murmurs gently. "Are you okay?"

You take in a deep, shuddering breath, but before you can answer he continues, a note of guilt in his voice. "Was it Amy and I?"

> No. Never. I was surprised, not upset
> Not...exactly
> I was dancing with the Poet, Nate. And almost did more
> Write-in
>>
>>44303947
That way lies zombie armies, anon. People are more complicated than that. We might *need* to kill her, but we can't be so quick to convince ourselves that ending her life is justice.
>>
>>44303964
Refusing an out that would let them live?
>>
>>44304053
>> I was dancing with the Poet, Nate. And almost did more
>>
>>44304053
>>
>>44304053
>> I was dancing with the Poet, Nate. And almost did more
>>
I'm going to laugh when the Poet becomes a potential final party member.

We'll see how Lora feels, I suppose.
>>44304053
> No. Never. I was surprised, not upset
Though we're definitely mentioning our meeting with the Poet. May as well mention the letter, too.
>>
>>44304053
>>
>>44304053
But maybe lead with the "no, never" thing.
>>
>>44303947
But Lora is eternal, we could totally get a postponement of oblivion for the remainder of their natural life. I mean a La Croix knows better then anyone that nothing lasts forever.
>>
>>44304127
> But maybe lead with the "no, never" thing.

This seems smart.
>>
>>44304144
I think she's awful eager to punish the people who've bound and tormented her.
And I don't know about you, but I'd rather not put Bri in between a vengeful Death Choir Angel and her prey.
>>
>>44304212
To be fair it's not like Lora's /unjustifiably/ angry.
>>
>>44304212
If Bri thinks it would be the right thing to do, I have trouble seeing her doing anything less. She's not one to back down just because something's likely to end badly for her.

Which isn't to say it is the right thing to do. The Poet seems like a nice enough person, but she's still complicit in the enslavement and torture of a ton of people, one of whom is a force of nature made flesh. Death may not be a fun sentence to carry out in this case, but that doesn't make it the wrong one. We'll have to see.
>>
>>44304250
The question will be if we can channel that anger down a path that *doesn't* end in bodybags. And, I suppose, if we want to try and save the Poet. Our opinion may change as we learn more.
>>
>>44304309
She's probably like a Wehrmacht officer that's realized what she's enabled to happen or even done herself, and knows that the Red Army is on it's way.

If she tries to retreat, her superiors will kill her. If she stays, the advance will kill her. The only way we can probably prevent the angel from serving justice is to keep her chain for ourselves, and somehow I don't see that happening.
>>
>>44304053
>> Not...exactly. Not because of seeing you together.
>> I was dancing with the Poet, Nate. And almost did more...and she could have killed both of you before I even knew she was here.
>>
>>44304474
Agreed. She's a bad person who's done bad things, or worse, she's sat by and let bad things happen for her own personal gain. She's not an innocent, not matter how badly she feels about things.
And she is DEFINITELY not worth crossing Lora over.
>>
Votes called, writing.
>>
>>44304659
>She's not an innocent, not matter how badly she feels about things.
Neither is River.
>>
>>44304837

/argument

God, imagine if we could make the Poet's pennance be to work against the others, with us? The Blackguard-lieutenant-turned-paladin-squadmate?
>>
>>44304848
A bit metagamey, but Poet has been doing the research for the group. Think our regretful soon to be friend knows an answer or two?
>>
>>44304892
We may be able to get information about the others out of her if we just ask nicely.

Literally. If she wins, no biggie for giving out info. If she doesn't, she dies, and no biggie for giving out info.

Be better than the people she works with, and I'm sure she'll throw us a few bones.

... hey, could Lora be commanded to kill the Poet by the others if the Poet loses her chain?
>>
>>44305004
Theres an incredibly high chance this is one of several things those chains were intentionally restricted from doing, that and making Lora kill herself as that would also fuck them over.
>>
>>44304892

I'm voting for it. Maybe... free Lora from the bond, Bargaining for time for the Poet - time for her and Victoria, time for her to be our woman on her level who sets right what went wrong?
>>
>>44304848
Yeah, but river wasn't one of the evil villains who have been torturing the angel in our head. In fact, River couldn't have been any less of a threat to us. The Poet is a villain, however sympathetic, and she is going to die when we break that chain.
>>
File: 1449940673052.jpg (44 KB, 352x370) Image search: [Google]
1449940673052.jpg
44 KB, 352x370
>>44304053
"No, I...I don't think. No. It's..."

"Breathe, Brianna," Nathan soothes softly. "I'm here. Say it how it needs to be said."

You put your hand over the Hero's and close your eyes, and focus on your breathing so you can calm down.

"That minstrel I was dancing with was the Poet, Nathan." You continue quickly, not sure if you can keep your nerve through an interruption. "I didn't know at the time. I just knew she was interesting and beautiful, and having a great time, and that I hadn't just danced for...gods, for so long. And then she tells me she wants to do more than dance, and I almost...I almost did, Nate."

The arms around you squeeze gently. "Why not?"

"...It would have hurt you and Amy. And, and I couldn't say why, but it didn't feel right. Like I'd be betraying not just you two but...myself? I wanted to. Gods, I wanted to. Her eyes looked so lonely. But when I said no she accepted it, and...left. She could have gutted me without thinking about it. She could have hurt you, or Amy, or Slaughter. But she just /left/, and I couldn't even stop her."

Nathan feels warm, and real, and the party continues on behind you when it's clear that you're not about to make a scene. You feel the Hero nod to someone behind you, and Amy comes up from the edge of the dance floor, swaying with worry and probably drink.

"She's not mad, Ames," Nathan reassures her. "Bri, what would you like to do?"

> "I...I need some time to myself. Catch Amy up, will you?"
> "I wanna go home. Sleep this off, and war council in the morning."
> "Go home. Coffee. Talk it out now. Maybe rum with coffee, because River isn't around to see me being a hypocrite."
> "...I wanna hear a story. Can you tell me a story?"
>>
>>44305021
I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally made it so they *could* order Lora to kill one of them if they lost the chain, since if Lora doesn't kill them herself it means that person is somehow working to free Lora. What other reason would she spare them for?

Though there's also the question of why the others haven't kept Lora from killing the former chain holders. Sure, Lisa and Vintner fucked up by losing the chains, but they could have done more to hurt us. But Lora was able to kill them once they lost their chains.

Clearly, there are shenanigans attached to the chains we aren't seeing. Alternately, our opponents are dumb in the right ways. I'm banking on the former.
>>
>>44305183
> "Go home. Coffee. Talk it out now. Maybe rum with coffee, because River isn't around to see me being a hypocrite."
>>
>>
>>44305183
>> "...I wanna hear a story. Can you tell me a story?"

Distraction, that's the ticket. Get the brain on a different track, and give it and the body time to calm down from this.
>>
>>44305183
> "I...I need some time to myself. Catch Amy up, will you?"
>>
>i want to read the letter she gave us

or

>>
>>44305183
>"Go home. Coffee. Talk it out now. Maybe rum with coffee, because River isn't around to see me being a hypocrite."
>>
>>44305183
> "...I wanna hear a story. Can you tell me a story?"
I wanna see younger Bri again, the one who was enraptured by tales of heroes and knights. Circumstances could be better, but I'd take what I could get.
>>
Called, writing.

In unrelated news, just made new pot of coffee.
>>
>>44305152

River was one of the evil mercenaries we have no problem killing who did horrible things for horrible reasons.

Redemption is offered exclusively to those who don't deserve it, especially if they repent. That's what makes it redemption.
>>
File: 1450377898373.jpg (349 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1450377898373.jpg
349 KB, 675x900
>>44305183
"Let's. Let's go home and talk this out. I don't wanna stew on it. I /do/ wanna finish getting drunk."

"Bri..." Amy begins, but she sighs and takes your hat instead of finishing. "You should tell Fetch to come back home when he can."

<Fetch, let River know there's been trouble. We're gonna need you.>

<Yes, my queen. My lady...are you alright?>

<Heh. The answer to that question is always 'no'. But thanks for the concern.>

"Amy," you ask, with everyone on their way back home. "Why are you wearing my hat?"

"It makes me feel better," the harpy admits. "...And because I felt like it."

"Eh. Good enough for me."

Nate, bless him, understands the priorities when you get home; he starts pouring the rum while Amy gets the coffee going. You sit, heavily, and rest your head in your hands.

You can hear Nate catching Amy up, after he sets your first shot in front of you. You down it hard and dig the envelope out of your pocket. On the front is a name - Victoria. On the back, written around the wax seal (A music note on a scroll), is a note.

"Brianna,

I need you to know this isn't personal. The woman I've heard so much about is a good person, and I didn't want it to come to this. However our night's gone, I wanted to ask you a favor.

There's a very good chance I'm not going to make it out of this.

If I die, the seal on the envelope will develop a compass that will guide you to Victoria Inkwell. She has no part of this; I made sure of that. Please, deliver this to her. Let her know how I died. Be honest. After these last few years, she deserves that much from me.

If we made love and I wasn't up to your standards, leave that part out.

Your enemy,
Brigette the Poet"

Amy's still busy with the coffee.

> Open it
> Respect Brigette's wishes
>>
>>
>>44305965
She's the enemy, but I think opening this might be a bit too petty.
>>
>>44305965
>> Respect Brigette's wishes

Not likely to be anything of strategic value in here, and I think we can probably believe the Poet insofar as Victoria has no part in this. After all, she made sure that if she died—and thus she could no longer protect Victoria, even from us—we'd be able to find Victoria, at which point, if we didn't like her, we could just kill her, too.

Put the envelope in a safe place.

Probably including safe *from us*, for the time being.
>>
>>44305965
>>
>>44305965
Brigette didn't just knife us when she had the chance, so I can't imagine she's petty enough or cause-driven enough to set us up for anything bad after she dies. And, well, helping people deal with death is kind of our job.
>>
>>44305965
>> Respect the wishes of the dead.

Meanwhile, in the poets head..
>>
I gotta wonder how badly it'll fuck up Bri to die in front of Best Bird and Super Hero and then respawn to the morning of. Probably not healthy.
>>
>>44305965
>> Respect Brigette's wishes
Could we attempt to find Victoria to hand her the note anyway? Like get somebody to activate the compass spell without having to kill Bridgette?

New reader here. Absolutely love the quest Vox.
>>
>>44306212
Glad to have you here, anon!

Votes called. Writing.
>>
File: It's a rough profession.jpg (28 KB, 480x383) Image search: [Google]
It's a rough profession.jpg
28 KB, 480x383
>>44305965
You put the envelope back in your coat pocket. There are ways you do, and don't, treat your enemies, and it seems like Brigette understands them.

The least you can do is return the favor.

Amy sets down the coffee pot and three cups of coffee; Nathan sets down the sugar and one of your precious, precious bottles of rum.

"So what do we do?" Amy asks, while you pour yourself a second shot.

"It's a challenge, of sorts," you explain, a little distantly. "She's declared our enmity formally. Why, I'm not sure, but either way she has a chain, which means she's complicit in imprisoning Lora and with disturbing the laws of the Dungeon."

Nathan spoons sugar into his coffee and stirs it thoughtfully. "Trap?"

"Definitely," you agree, sweetening your own cup. "But polite on her part. I mean...it's like the laws of war, right? She's taken the time to declare our conflict and to treat us with something resembling respect."

"There's laws in war?" Amy asks. She gets a Look from both you and Nathan that encourages her to drink her shot rather than continue along this line of questioning.

"Still, polite or not, chances are the Atheneum is defended most heavily where it connects to the Lichyard. Not sure I wanna brave that gauntlet, but what other option do I have?"

Amy makes a noise around the coffee she's drinking and quickly set down the cup. She swallows and gestures at the bookshelf. "You can take a book!"

"Come again?" Nathan asks.

"The Atheneum has some stable portals that lead...okay, you know how in places of high magical concentration, you can potentially teleport?"

"Yeah," you agree. "Places like the Dungeon, or an old mage's academy."

"Well, the Atheneum has a particular property that lets you move to it, using a copy of a book that was authored there. You just need a copy of the book, a brisk walking pace, and the ability to survive whatever part of the library you end up in."

"Do we even know a copy nearby?" Nathan says, dubiously.
>>
File: 1439093152978.jpg (233 KB, 761x1000) Image search: [Google]
1439093152978.jpg
233 KB, 761x1000
>>44306631
"Yeah," Amy answers. "Dad told me about one, if it's still there. The library in Kurt's Crossing has a copy of "A Traveler's Guide to the Roost"."

"One problem," you point out. "I'm wanted on the surface. Breaking the terms of my exile means death, and it wouldn't be great for the two of you either."

"Might be worth the risk if we can stay quiet," Nathan reasons. "...Probably means leaving Fetch and the chickens behind."

You sigh. "I'll. I'll sleep on it. We should all get some sleep."

Nathan nods and heads to the outhouse to change into his nightclothes. Amy bites her lip, looking guilty, and pours another shot so she doesn't have to look at you.

> Go sit with her (stay up to talk)
> Propose cuddle pile (go to sleep)
> Go to bed (go to sleep)
> Write-in
>>
>>44306709
If it's about leaving us exposed to the Poet due to dancing with Nate, it should be cleared up that we are not mad.
>>
>>
>>44306709
>> Go sit with her (stay up to talk)

We've rested pretty well this last...what is it, a month? Let's make sure our favourite bird is in good mental shape before we embark on the next stage of the war.
>>
>>44306709
Sounds like the bird has something on her mind. Not that we want to harass her if she doesn't want to talk, but if she's feeling guilty about what I think she's feeling guilty about, we need to let her know we're cool.
>>
>>44306709

Oh, stop looking so guilty. I would have done the same in either of your shoes.
>>
>>44306709
>>
>>44306709
>>

and then:

> Cuddle pile with Nathan and Amy
>>
If we keep this up, our companions are going to conspire to get us laid by one of them while the other holds us down.
>>
>>44306946
I'll vote for that.
>>
>>44306946

...Is this a *problem*?
>>
>>44306946
> "Damnit, Amy, stick to the plan!"
> "But...but head scritches..."
> Brilaughingvictoriously.gif
>>
Votes called, writing.
>>
File: Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png
22 KB, 300x300
>>44306709
You wait for Nathan to get back inside and climb up to his bunk. The Hero's asleep pretty fast, though, and when he is you cork the bottle of rum and set it to the side of the table.

Amy's "Heyyy," of sloshed protest dies in her throat when you sit down in her lap and cuddle in.

"Somethin' on your mind?" you murmur. The bird girl chirps, dejectedly, and holds you close.

"...Why were you interested in her? In, in Brigette. Why her and not me, or Nate? Did we do something wrong?"

"/Ames/," you murmur, stroking the bird's hair. "You didn't do anything wrong. It was...honestly, it was the whole night. I was having a great time, and so was everyone else. It's been so long since I danced..." you smile, wistfully. "Met a lot of people at those dances who wanted to dance in private, if you get my meaning."

Amy chuckles, weakly. "Yeah."

"Brigette was interesting, and /interested/, and...and I don't know, I felt like I had something in common with her. She was offering something uncomplicated, and nice, and...and she was very beautiful."

"Complicated is bad?" the half-harpy asks.

"No, Ames. It's just. I'm a little scared, with you and Nathan. I have something I know is precious and I'm afraid it's made of glass, and will break forever if I don't handle it carefully. And I've never really done that before."

Amy scritches your head warmly. "Bri, I'm stronger than I look."

"I know," you murmur. "...When she asked why I turned her down, you and Nate were my reason."

The surprised, pleased chirp that comes from the bird girl's throat makes your spine tingle pleasantly.

"...You know," you offer. "My bunk's actually empty this time."

Amy bites her lip and makes a frustrated sound. "...We're both druuuunk."

"Fuck."

"Exactly. Are you really that pent-up?"

> Ames, I live in a tiny house, with three people, one of whom can see my bed from hers. Yes.
> Oh look at the time it's CHANGE THE SUBJECT O' CLOCK
> Well, Nate's bunk isn't empty. Cuddle pile?
>>
>>44307480
>> Ames, I live in a tiny house, with three people, one of whom can see my bed from hers. Yes.

No time like the present!
>>
>>44307480
>>
would hardly be fair on Nate.

>>
>>44307480
>justdoit.jpg
>>
>>44307480
> Ames, I live in a tiny house, with three people, one of whom can see my bed from hers. Yes.
>>
>>44307480
>> Well, Nate's bunk isn't empty. Cuddle pile?
>>
>>44307480
>> Ames, I live in a tiny house, with three people, one of whom can see my bed from hers. Yes.
>>
>>44307638
His fault for not being able to handle his liquor. He'll get his turn.
>>
File: 1428483499031.jpg (118 KB, 456x412) Image search: [Google]
1428483499031.jpg
118 KB, 456x412
>>44307480
>Ames, I live in a tiny house, with three people, one of whom can see my bed from hers. Yes.
>>
Votes called. Writing.
>>
>>44307480
>Well, Nate's bunk isn't empty. Cuddle pile?
I need a male to self insert in the story.
Nobody does good ffm anymore.
>>
>>
>>44307851
Sadly, vote was already called.

Also this would have tied it.

Also TFW I wasn't trying to imply lewds.
>>
>>44307877
You have to anticipate that we will turn anything sexual. Like mosaic patterns for example.
>>
File: 1403131665117.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1403131665117.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>44307877
EVERYTHING IS FOR SEXUAL
>>
>>44306631
>"There's laws in war?" Amy asks. She gets a Look from both you and Nathan that encourages her to drink her shot rather than continue along this line of questioning.
so, so sad, in so many ways.

>>44304659
>>44304474
>>44304250
>>44303947
>>44303918
I was trying to nip this at the bud with >>44294673
>>
File: death.jpg (49 KB, 642x744) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
49 KB, 642x744
>>44307480
"Ames, I live in a tiny house built for one person. We are three people, and you can see my bunk from your nest. Yes, I'm that pent-up," you admit, in mild frustration.

"I...I had no idea. I just figured you'd do what Nate does and...I mean, the house isn't always full."

"I'm a little loud, pretty bird."

You're pretty sure the series of chirps Amy lets out are the harpy equivalent of reverting to your native language when you're excited or stressed.

"I know a place," she finally admits, shyly. "But I'd have to stay to help you back down. Which. Would mean I get to, um. Listen."

In answer, you tilt your head down and bite Amy's neck, and murmur to her the words you almost said to Brigette.

"Show me."

Lora's waiting room is filled with tense frustration. She's got half a cigar in her mouth and tosses you a fresh one, which you light up with a sort of weary resignation.

Gods, but do you feel /better/.

"Still can't talk out loud?" you ask, sympathetically.

Lora lets out a thick cloud of smoke from her nostrils, and then nods.

"Well, maybe I can try some yes-no..."

> What ask?
>>
>>44308450
Gods, why? I've been /loving/ the debate and discussion about the Poet's fate. Don't nip that! It's a wonderful thing to see!
>>
>>44308848
>Are the chain holders all working towards a single goal?
>>
>>44308848

I know about the entrance to the library, AND the book teleport thing. Is there a third way in?
>>
>>44308848
The Poet seemed more....normal. Not sane as such, just not hostile. Does she have a list of warcrimes longer than the last two?
>>
>>44308902
>>44308848
aaaand I forgot to greentext. JUST TO BE SURE
>The Poet seemed more....normal. Not sane as such, just not hostile. Does she have a list of warcrimes longer than the last two?

>>44308879
well, less nip the bud and more skip ahead to the middle of the argument.
>>
>>44308880
>>44308888
>Both of these are very good questions, and also ask if there's an eligible book somewhere more accessible than the one we'd have to break exile for.
>>
>>44308848
>Does the Poet deserve to die?
>>
Called. Writing.
>>
File: Waiting Room Cigarette Case.jpg (27 KB, 340x395) Image search: [Google]
Waiting Room Cigarette Case.jpg
27 KB, 340x395
>>44308848
Lora waits, patiently, while the air turns blue with smoke.

"Are the people holding your chains working towards a single goal?" you ask. Lora shakes her head. "Separate goals?" The angel nods.

You take a drag that tastes like regrets and abandoned love.

"The Poet seemed...I don't know, conflicted? Are her crimes worse than the last two?" Lora shrugs, holding her cigar in a fist. "...Does she deserve to die, Lora?" you ask, solemnly.

You see the flash of rage in the angel's eyes, but she looks like she's honestly considering the question. After a moment, she reaches her hand out and tugs something; a chain, attached to her wrist, manifests and jingles faintly.

You can see the telltale signs of her having a telepathic conversation.

Finally, Lora takes a deep drag and speaks aloud, the words heavy in the smoke: "Et in Arcadia ego, heritor."

The chain fades away, and Lora leans forward with her elbows on her knees. She holds up one finger, then lowers it and waits for your next question.
>>
>>44309274
TFW I forget the

> What do you ask?
>>
>>44309274
well shit, since I don't know if anyone's got a better one:
>What is the ultimate goal of The Master with regards to chaining you?
>>
>>44309419
I somehow think this might not be a yes-no question.
>>
>>44309465
oh, it's still a yes or no question?

She was able to speak so I assumed otherwise.
>>
>>44309274
>I know about the entrance to the library, AND the book teleport thing. Is there a third way in?
>>
File: Nicolas_Poussin_052.jpg (108 KB, 800x570) Image search: [Google]
Nicolas_Poussin_052.jpg
108 KB, 800x570
>>44309274
>>44309296
>Even in Arcadia, there am I
Cryptic...
>>
File: Nicolas_Poussin_052.jpg (5 MB, 5966x4253) Image search: [Google]
Nicolas_Poussin_052.jpg
5 MB, 5966x4253
From the wikipedia page, by the way, is the latin phrase he quoted.

"The translation of the phrase is "Even in Arcadia, there am I". The usual interpretation is that "I" refers to death, and "Arcadia" means a utopian land. It would thus be a memento mori. During Antiquity, many Greeks lived in cities close to the sea, and led an urban life. Only Arcadians, in the middle of the Peloponnese, lacked cities, were far from the sea, and led a shepherd life. Thus for urban Greeks, especially during the Hellenistic era, Arcadia symbolized pure, rural, idyllic life, far from the city.

However, Poussin's biographer, André Félibien, interpreted the phrase to mean that "the person buried in this tomb lived in Arcadia"; in other words, that the person too once enjoyed the pleasures of life on earth. This reading was common in the 18th and 19th centuries. For example, William Hazlitt wrote that Poussin "describes some shepherds wandering out in a morning of the spring, and coming to a tomb with this inscription, 'I also was an Arcadian'."[2]

The former interpretation ("ego" referring to death) is now generally considered more likely; the ambiguity of the phrase is the subject of a famous essay by the art historian Erwin Panofsky (see References). Either way, the sentiment was meant to set up an ironic contrast between the shadow of death and the usual idle merriment that the nymphs and swains of ancient Arcadia were thought to embody."
>>
>>44309274
>Et in Arcadia ego, heritor."
What does that mean?

>Ah crap crap. What do you think I need to know?
>>
>>44309274
>Who was the first to bind you?
>>
>>44309609
>>44309640

Yes or no questions, people.
>>
>>44309503

This

>>44309274
>>I know about the entrance to the library, AND the book teleport thing. Is there a third way in?
>>
>>44309604
>>44309608
That feel when the reference has been comprehended as thoroughly as possible.

SEPTIMUS: Ha! A calendar of slaughter! 'Even in Arcadia, there am I`
THOMASINA: Oh, phooey to Death.
>>
>>44309274
Would you be willing to accept her soul after she died a natural death in exchange for her relinquishing the chain?
>>
>>44303503
Just finished recording the prologue thread too. I'm giving it a quick listen, though I'm sure there are a couple little hiccups in it. I mostly did this one is a quick idea of what I sound like, so I'm not going over it with a fine tooth comb I'm giving it a quick listen to make sure there's nothing in normous wrong with it, and then I'll upload it so that everyone can get a little bit of a preview of what's in store. Any ideas of where I could easily and quickly upload it from my cell phone for you guys?
>>
>>44309715
>>44309780

>These Two

I want to see if Lora will accept it as a being, or be willing to bargain for time, if we can simply get the Poet to step down. It might save many lives, much time, effort, and be a tool to accomplish our goal.

As a general rule, Mercy is as lethal a tool in this job as any blade. If the enemies know they can trust our mercy, then they have a way out - and can, and will, run when given the chance.
>>
Okay, I too want to save the poet, but I think Bri is being a little premature in fighting for it this hard.

>>I know about the entrance to the library, AND the book teleport thing. Is there a third way in?
Or anything not along the 'let's hug the poet' theme. We can fight for her life when we know more.
>>
>>44309933

For what it's worth, I'm considering it from this >>44309838 perspective. An enemy turned away is an enemy one doesn't have to fight. Instead of a natural death like >>44309780 , I might ask Lora to give the poet something like five years, to quietly spend with Victoria.
>>
>>44309795
Vocaroo.
>>
Votes called, writing.
>>
File: 1438032603005.jpg (247 KB, 1011x851) Image search: [Google]
1438032603005.jpg
247 KB, 1011x851
"I know about the entrance from the Lichyard, and the book trick. Do you know a third way in to the Atheneum?"

Lora holds one hand flat in front of her, palm-down, and pokes it from beneath with a finger.

"...Shoulda known."

Lora shrugs. You sigh, and wake up, hung over and...

> In your bunk, with Amy
> In your bunk, alone
> In the cuddle pile
> On the floor, covered in blankets you definitely did not put there yourself
>>
>>44310182
>>
>>44310182
>>
>>44310182
>> In the cuddle pile
>> On the floor, covered in blankets you definitely did not put there yourself
>>
>>44310058
Alright, it's uploaded. I will mention, however, that there are two mispronunciations in it. First of all, I'm not quite sure how to pronounce Duchy, so I probably got that wrong. Secondly, I somehow pronounce my own name audio 9. I'll probably fix that later. Until then, here's the link.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HygUJ04M43
>>
>>44310361

I think it's pronounced like "duh-chee," but it worked. You've got a good measured voice for reading, but I might try to differentiate the character voices more from that of your narration.
>>
>>44310361
Ah, yeah, it's basically "Dutch-ee"... not "dookie" That's something quite different.
>>
>>44310182
>> In the cuddle pile
>>
>>44310534
>>44310552
Yeah, I know I still got some stuff to work on. That's why I'm planning to rerecord it anyway. This was just a quickly thrown together example of what it would sound like. I still need to get a voice for everyone down properly. And thanks for the tip on how to pronounce Duchy. I admit, I keep getting confused because I know that ductal is pronounced duckul.
>>
>>44310633
**duchal, fucking autocorrect
>>
>>44310633
Yeah, english.

If you want a good example, I'd say to listen to some of James Marsters' narration. He does the Dresden Files books spectacularly, and that character differentiation is one of his strengths.
>>
>>44310182
>In the cuddle pile
>>
>>44310361
Anon helped with the pronounciation already. Recording seems a bit jittery - not sure if that's b/c Phone, or because of Comcast, or even the website.

Either way, I like it. I look forward to the re-recording...and further recordings.

I'm so flattered you would not fucking believe. How was the read, out loud? Did it feel awkward or choppy?
>>
>>44310708
No, it reads shockingly easily.A couple small stumbling blocks, but those were do more to distractions here in the big rig. And it didn't sound too choppy to me, so it might be Comcast. That said, there probably is at least a little bit of chopped from where I had to do some editing for a couple sentences I flubbed.
>>
>>44310708
Oh, & I plan to make a blog spot for these once I get home this weekend. That way, people can just download the mp3 and not have to deal with Vocaroo
>>
>>44310775

Offer both, if you would. I actually prefer vocaroo myself.
>>
>>44310829
I suppose I can do that, if there's really a desire for it. I may be an ass hole, but I try not to be a complete one.
>>
>>44310182
>> On the floor, covered in blankets you definitely did not put there yourself
>>
>>44310182
>in the cuddle pile
>>
Calling, writing. Vote tied, so I'm gonna pick.

THIS IS THE FUTURE YOU CHOSE.
>>
>>44311159

Or you can just go with >>44310320
>>
Cuddle time on the floor
>>
File: Go Home Bri You Are Drunk.jpg (303 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Go Home Bri You Are Drunk.jpg
303 KB, 1536x2048
>>44310182
Hung over and snuggled in blankets. There's also a pillow. Aaand the floor. You must have rolled out of bed at some point, which makes...some...sense...maybe.

You'd been pretty limp and happy when Amy'd poured you in, that's for sure.

"I know you wanted to talk to her soon," Nathan murmurs. You can smell breakfast and coffee. "But now's probably not the time. Not with the Poet making her move."

"...I don't want to put it off," Amy answers, a little sullenly. "I'm tired of waiting. And...scared. Scared that something's going to happen and convince her that she's doing something noble by staying alone."

"Thought's crossed my mind too," the Hero admits. "But we've got a job to do, Ames. Just be a little more partient."

"...Alright," the half-harpy agrees. "You found the spine to bring up your drunken confession with her again?"

"Remember what I /just/ said about it not being the time?"

> Make some noises and get up; act like you heard nothing
> Interject, then get up
> Fuck this; go back to sleep
> Write-in
>>
>>44311944
>Fuck this; go back to sleep
Might as well enjoy our comfy blankets while we can.
>>
>>44311944
>Interject, then get up
>>
>>44311944
>Why am I not being cuddled!

Honestly, some indignation to snap them out of it, and a reason to get handsy so they don't think we are being to standoffish.
>>
>>44311944
>write in
>Interject, then go back to sleep.
>>
>Interject, then go back to sleep.
>>
>>44311944
...have we done more than let them know we like the both of them and don't mind them liking each other? We've gotten a bit cuddly with all three of us, but not talked about anything more, have we? If they think we're trying to choose between them, or just trying not to hurt either of them, instead of intentionally considering an active three-way relationship...
>>
>>44311944
> Fuck this; go back to sleep
We didnt hear anything.
>>
>>44312077
>>44311944

Works for me.
>>
>>44312273
we need to be more aggressive about it. We have only let them come to us all the dates, everything has been initiated by one of them. At this point they are pretty openly ok with it, we should grab some for ourself as well and unless it results in us rolling around the house for a week it shouldn't interfere to much.
>>
>>44311944
>>44312077
This is good
>>
>>44311944
>> Interject, then get up

No need to dissemble with them.
>>
>>44312452

Agreed
>>
>>44312452
We asked Nate on a date once
>>
>Interject, then go back to sleep
"I can hear you, you know."
"...What?"
"zzzzzzz"
>>
Vote extended while I handle some things.
>>
>>44311944
>> Interject, then get up
though I do enjoy the thought of
>>44312583
>>
>>44312482
We accepted his offer of training us in swordplay and called it a date.
>>
>>44312077
>This
>>
>>44311944
> Interject, then get up
Because you know what, I think now /is/ the time. We're not even a quarter of the way through our list of enemies, and /one/ of them is going to be doing /something/ for the foreseeable future. And, well, it's not all that unlikely that one of us could die. Life is for the living, and it doesn't stop just because some girl in some library is getting ready to kill you.
>>
File: 1450590342065.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450590342065.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>44311944
>Interject, then get up
>>44312077

These.

Picture... vaguely related.
>>
Votes called, writing.

>>44313101
You /proposed/ training as the start to a date, then had the rest of the date. You agreed to his offer of continued training after.
>>
File: 1450044258815.jpg (68 KB, 500x748) Image search: [Google]
1450044258815.jpg
68 KB, 500x748
>>44311944
"I have woken up without cuddles," you say to the room in general. "This is a terrible crime to commit upon your drunken friend."

Nathan's attempt at shocked, dignified silence is ruined by Amy's guilty squeak.

"Do we want to talk now, or later, about how you two are acting like the corners of the love triangle in a shitty penny dreadful romance?" you ask as you sit up, yawning. "What're you - fuck, I went to bed in the buff, didn't I?"

Nathan's shadow stretches forth through the room while he coughs and turns politely away, only to see it get kissed by Kat.

Amy throws you a shirt, which you put on. "Meant it about the cuddles," you mutter.

In moments, you are basking in the cuddle pile.

"We're not trying to hide anything from you, exactly," Nathan explains. "It's just...there hasn't been a good time, and..."

"And you think now's a bad time," you finish, yawning. "Who tucked me in?"

Amy points at Nate. "I was drunk. And, well...passed out for other reasons."

You kiss the Hero on the cheek. "Good job. I suppose we ought to get breakfast going. By which I mean your cooking woke me up, Ames."

"Not sorry /at all/," the harpy purrs.

You settle down at the table.

> Talk business; now really isn't the time for the other stuff. Decisions to make.
> No, now is /definitely/ the time.
>>
>>44315298
>Now is definitly the time!
>>
>>44315298
>No, now is /definitely/ the time.
>>
File: 1341586672347.jpg (109 KB, 500x602) Image search: [Google]
1341586672347.jpg
109 KB, 500x602
>>44315298
>> No, now is /definitely/ the time.
I've got a bad feeling about this
>>
>>44315298
>>
>>
File: 1449347368702.jpg (70 KB, 494x451) Image search: [Google]
1449347368702.jpg
70 KB, 494x451
>>44315353
Bri's going to become the unwanted third wheel, I can feel it, that's where this path's going. And while she might logically be okay with it, it'll still hurt.
>>
>>44315298
> No, now is /definitely/ the time.
We have unresolved sexual tension on a team of three people who are going into life-threatening situations together, and could potentially die at any moment. That needs to be corrected, preferably by resolving the sexual tension, or at least the romantic tension.
>>
File: 1443226927025.jpg (57 KB, 640x365) Image search: [Google]
1443226927025.jpg
57 KB, 640x365
>>44315450
I'm thinking more... One of them might die. Like, one of the other chain-wielders is gonna step into the middle of the melee and surprise attack one of our friends randomly.
>>
>>44315298
You can't have war council if there are secrets. Secrets a good relationship does not make.
>>
>>44315450
...Anon, I have to ask. Do you feel this way because

> You expect this from my writing in particular
> Because such a thing is common in other quests (WHY?)
> Other?
>>
File: 1444551663885.jpg (40 KB, 471x634) Image search: [Google]
1444551663885.jpg
40 KB, 471x634
>>44315511
> Other? Because paranoia and worry that sometime you might just want to hurt us in our feel-bits
>>
>>44315511
Not him, but doing this provides a sort of meta-conflict where the protagonist has challenges face them other than the main one that they start with, making them more relatable to the audience.
Nothing good ever happens to the main character.
>>
>>44315511
>> Other?
not him but I can see it as she kind of is in an even bigger sense.

General philosophy/world view says there is life and there is death, good and evil. But then we have Bri and she happens to be a necromancer and fits outside that definition and even goes out of her way to do the right thing because 'that's her job'. Her job kind of is to be the friendly third wheel to help fix what others screw up while not interfering in what they do.
>>
>>44315511
Vox, you seem to take a remarkable lack of pleasure in our terrified anticipation of the emotional pain you could inflict upon us. This is very strange to me, as it goes against my every instinct for how people in GM-style positions act.
>>
>>44315511
>Other?
Well, mainly it's because you've been writing realistic character relationships, and as I said in previous threads, I'm a cynical bastard.

Also this to an extent. >>44315640
>>
>>44315511
Basically, what
>>44315722
says. Bri may well take it upon herself to let that happen, even force herself to help it happen. This doesn't mean it will, just that we're willing to consider that if something doesn't work out with the three of us, those two together may work better than us choosing one of them, painful though it may be.
>>
>>44315738
I...I am very sorry to hear this, anon. I was under the impression that my job here, aside from attempting to provide quality writing, was to ensure that my players - my guests - were having fun. If I want to hurt someone for the sake of petty malice I have plenty of relatives I don't like.

Votes called. Writing.
>>
>>44315511
Me>>44315799
Also because of scenes like this:
>Your eyes slide towards Nathan and Amy -

>Who are embraced, at the edge of the dance floor, locked in a passionate kiss. Amy chirps in her throat while she melts into the Hero.

It just seems like Bri's been left out of most of the emotional bonding. Yes, it's been by her choice, but she should still be feeling lonely and possibly a little distant from them, imo.
>>
>>44315916
You misunderstand. Feeling emotions over a character is fun regardless. It shows we care about what happens, and if nothing but goid things happened for her, it'd be pretty boring.

You're doing a great job.
>>
>>44315983
Good*
Me and my fat fingers.
>>
>>44315983
I will have to second what this anon says. I agree completely on all accounts.

You like a character for their triumphs but love them for their flaws.
>>
>>44315916
I don't think it's quite in the light you're worried about. We DO after all think that Bri will have a hard time with her path and all (and this particular one you've mentioned is far from the easy path). If we accept that we can fail, we might consider what some of those paths are (and perhaps guard against them). When we start sabotaging things that are going well to make failure easier though, then we are not doing as Bri should hope she is capable of.
>>
>>44315916
Not exactly what I mean. There's a difference between wanting to hurt people, and wanting them to feel that the risk of being hurt is real. A good GM is never out to hurt their players, but a game, or a quest, or a book, or whatever, where there's no sense of risk is a lot less fulfilling. For winning to feel good, you have to be afraid of losing. So most good GMs will foster an image of being monsters who feed on the misery of their players, so the players will feel like they have someone to fight. But what's really happening is they're playing the role they need to play for everyone to have a good time.
>>
i personally have no problem with your writing. i also got a C in english 12 so i don't think my opinion matters.
>>
File: 1450116658399.jpg (69 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1450116658399.jpg
69 KB, 422x600
>>44315298
"Alright. I'm not sitting on this for the entire delve," you say frankly, stirring sugar into your coffee. "Out with it."

"Bri," Nate begins, only to be interrupted by Amy.

"We're worried about you," the half-harpy says seriously. "...The way you were talking last night, it sounds like you've been...I don't know, making yourself unhappy on purpose."

"Say what?" you ask, blinking. Of all the things you'd been expecting out of this conversation...

Nathan sighs and points with his fork. "You work hard. And I appreciate that. I wish I'd been as eager a student of the sword as you've been so far."

"But from the way you've talked, you used to do a lot more fun things to go with your job," Amy murmurs. "The dancing, and the seducing of pretty barmaids, and the adventures. When we see you going about your day it's like...it's like we're watching someone hunted."

"Is this because I haven't banged one of you despite knowing I could at any moment?" you ask dubiously.

"No," Nathan says seriously. "It's because I've watched you stay up until you only get four hours of sleep, and cry into your pillow all night."

Why could you not have done this last night when you were already drunk?

> It's my life. Butt out.
> I've got a /job/, okay? Lora...
> ...Guys, I have to be honest, I expected this to be a completely different conversation
>>
>>44316187
Hey, the only ones who got good grades in English past high school are the ones that majored in it and the ones who cheated.
>>
>>44316232
>I've got a /job/, okay? Lora...
>>
>>44316232
>> ...Guys, I have to be honest, I expected this to be a completely different conversation

>I see Lora tortured and restrained every time I go to sleep. It's a little off-putting.
>>
>>44316232
>> ...Guys, I have to be honest, I expected this to be a completely different conversation
While these are my thoughts about the ingame scenario, its ironic that that is the exact conversation we are having right now OOC.
>>
>>44316075
Odd. I've told my players one thing before every campaign for years: "I'm not out to get you, but I'm not going to save you."

But, then, they know I've got teeth behind that by now. I dunno.

Thanks for the feedback, anons. This has been...educational.
>>
>>44316232
> ...Guys, I have to be honest, I expected this to be a completely different conversation
Was kind of expecting talking about our romantic life.
>>
>>44316232
>...Guys, I have to be honest, I expected this to be a completely different conversation
>>
>>44316274
this
>>

I notice none of the options are actually accepting the topic is valid, but this is closest. It's a weak joke defence. v fitting.
>>
>>44316232
> If you saw what I saw when I sleep, you'd stay awake too.
>>
File: bIz0Aqp.jpg (42 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
bIz0Aqp.jpg
42 KB, 500x513
>>44316232
>> I've got a /job/, okay? Lora...
"I've got a tiny, beautiful woman stuck in my head and each night I close my eyes I see her tortured and swearing what revenge she can on her infernal tormentors and somehow bringing me back to life each time I die." is not a sane thing to say.
It is what is happening, but that by no means makes it sane.
>>
>>44316232
> ...Guys, I have to be honest, I expected this to be a completely different conversation.
But if that's the way they want to play it:
>We got Lora to help, which keeps us in job mode
>We aren't being run out of town, so we don't HAVE to live like we're about to be kicked out for being us at any moment.
>We're in the Dungeon, and there ARE people trying to kill us here. 10 more, as a matter of fact.
>We have people we kinda want to keep around, which is unusual, re: being chased out regularly.
>>
>>44316292

Note: WE ARE NOT SAYING THAT WE HAVEN'T BEEN HAVING FUN.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this quest even if I haven't been constantly fearing for everyone's lives, and I'm fairly certain that the same can be said for most of the readership. You wouldn't be as popular as you are if you weren't doing things right.
>>
>>44316232
> What? I've gone out on wonderful dates with each of you, we've had a couple of grand celebrations here in Lakehallow, I've even had a good time getting to be sister to River. Yeah, I've got a job, yeah, kinda sucks to be me, but it's not like my life is all job all the time.
>>
Called, writing.
>>
>>44316402
Yeah, seconded, I'm loving the hell out of this. It's just... unusual, in my experience.
>>
>>44316492
How was Star Wars?
>>
>>44316520

Darth Vader is Leia's father.
>>
File: 304928.gif (153 KB, 606x423) Image search: [Google]
304928.gif
153 KB, 606x423
>>44316232
"I'm gonna be honest here guys," you attempt, with a weak smile. "I was sorta expecting this to be another conversation, of the pick-her-or-me variety."

Amy folds her arms across her chest. "You're avoiding it."

"You can talk to us, Brianna," Nathan adds, softly. "What's wrong?"

You set your cup down and look down at the table.

"You want to know what's wrong?" you murmur. "It's been so long since I've had a home that this house feels like a dream. That's pretty wrong. I haven't felt accepted or, hell, even liked, in so long that I honestly cannot remember anyone I haven't /buried/ who loved me after they knew me. That's pretty wrong. I'm so used to bad shit happening to me that I keep expecting the two of you to elope, leaving me holding the bag and a thank-you note for making the introduction, and the idea makes my fucking heart hurt, and that's gotta be pretty fucking wrong."

You stand, hands on the table; you know your arms are shaking, but your tone is still dangerously calm.

"I've been handed the fate of thousands of people and told it's my problem to the extent that even death can't get me out of it, and that's pretty fucking wrong. Every night I deal with an angel that's either being tortured or insulting and mocking me because it's the only thing she has that makes her shitty existence even a little better, and that's wrong. More than anything, I keep expecting to wake up and find out that this was some dream, where I got to be happy instead of trying to forget being fucking miserable with a bottle and a hard fuck, and gods, you know, I bet you that's fucking wrong."

Tears brim in Amy's eyes, her expression full of sympathy.

"You think I look hunted? I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Surprise. Real me. Hope you're happy."

> Sweep out
> Stay
> Literally kill yourself
>>
> Stay
>>
>>44316715
>Eat
we already did?
>Eat again
>>
>>44316715
>Pout, I was actually just wanting some nookie, and you guys had to get all serious.
>>
>>44316520
Decent? I feel like at some point the movie got ahead of itself and never quite caught up, which was kinda awkward; transitions just sorta stopped happening at some point and never started again.

Liked the characters, acting was great. Not sure if I agree on the casting of Kylo Ren but there's been some debate there between myself and my closer friends, so I may just be misinterpreting something there.

Overall, would voluntarily watch next one.
>>
>>44316715
>Sweep out
We don't want their /pity/ and that's all we're going to see if we look at them right now.
>>
>>44316715
>Stay
I'm assuming "sweep out" means something akin to leaving dramatically.
>>
>>44316797
agreed, it felt like two movies crammed into one, with a lot of "you don't need to know that yet" JJA standard
and that patrician nose was not crafted by Han and Leia
>>
>>44316841
Your understanding is correct.
>>
>>44316715
>Stay
And maybe cry a bit. I feel like this level of emotional venting requires a good, solid breakdown.
>>
>>44316715
... If we 'literally' kill ourselves, will we get the time travel factor going? Could we see Bridgette again and talk to her if we do?

otherwise I vote
>Stay
>>
>>44316918
Remember, you traveled /forward/ the last time you died.

That is to say, you were dead for 24 hours. You didn't get a reset, anon, you lost a day.
>>
>>44316940
...oh yeah.

"D'oh!"
>>
>>44316715
> Stay
>>
Votes called, writing.
>>
>>44316715
> Stay
You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emFUtuotHL4
>>
> Stay
we said we wanted to deal with this, and 'this' may not be what we thought but angel damn it let's deal with it
>>
>>44316715
> Stay
It's the hardest option, but also the most needful, most helpful, most hopeful option. At least, if we want to hope for help and understanding. The question is basically when and who, not if we should (though putting it off is an option, I don't think we will have a better time later).
>>
File: 44961097.jpg (60 KB, 483x270) Image search: [Google]
44961097.jpg
60 KB, 483x270
>>44316715
Your first instinct is to turn and leave. To get distance from this, from all the things you've been trying not to say.

But you've been run out of enough towns. You're not about to run /yourself/ out of one.

Silence reigns, until Amy gets up from her seat and walks over to you. She picks up your hat from the back of your chair and sets it down on the table, gently.

"I'm scared too, sometimes," the half-harpy admits. "That I'll wake back up in that cage. That someone from the Roost will come looking to settle an old grudge. She was the first person who really left, wasn't she? Your aunt."

"Yeah," you murmur. "Yeah, she was."

"We can promise to be here, but that's just words," Amy says softly. "But...I think, when we get a minute to breathe, it might be nice for all of us to sit down with a campfire and something to drink, and maybe just talk things out for awhile. Nobody should have to feel alone while they're surrounded by friends."

Nathan, still quiet, comes around the table on his side and takes your hand at the same time Amy does.

It's like someone gave you permission. You break down to cry.

About an hour later, sitting on your bottom bunk with your companions on either side, you sigh and put your hat on your hair.

"We've got people to kill," you murmur. "Which means we need to decide what we're doing."

"I almost prefer to storm the entrance from the Lichyard," Nathan admits. "Fetch and his brothers pack a surprising punch. I don't want to miss out on that."

"I choose life," Amy interjects. "We don't know what kind of teeth that gauntlet's got."

> Go to Kurt's Crossing for the book
> Brave the entrance from the Lichyard
>>
>>44317900
>> Go to Kurt's Crossing for the book
>>
>>44317900
>Go to Kurt's Crossing for the book
Can't we just send out for it, though? We could probably get away with asking.
>>
>>44317954
Hypothetically, but that would require a lot of things you can't necessarily be sure about, starting with the library in question being a lending library (not certified), having someone from Glen or Lakehallow willing to make the journey, them successfully doing so, and then later you're still holding the bag on returning the book unless you want to be that asshole who just takes shit from libraries and never gives it back.
>>
>>44317900
If worse comes to worse, we can always have Fetch try the entrance with his posse, see if their smaller, lithe bird bodies can make it through moe easily.
>>
>>44317989

Isn't Nathan still allowed up there? Isn't Amy?

Would it so severely damage our relationship with them that we can't ask one of them (preferably Nathan given that he's been up there before) to go?

(This isn't meant to be rude or sarcastic, I'm genuinely wondering why nobody's thought to ask one of them to go.)
>>
>>44318046
I have, actually, I'm just busy running my own quest and haven't voted yet.
>>
>>44317989
>unless you want to be that asshole who just takes shit from libraries and never gives it back.
We saved the town, we helped them spread influence across the Basement and the Lichyard, and if we succeed they'd have a much bigger library! What's one book on the Roost worth in comparison to library fees?
Library fees are a bitch, though.
>>
>>44318046
Mostly? Sticking together to ensure everyone involved remains safer. Even assuming the Poet can't strike at the surface, there's potentially monsters and other travel hazards, and whoever gets left in the Dungeon is *definitely* potentially vulnerable to Brigette.

So if anyone's going anywhere, it's probably better for everyone to go.
>>
>>44318084
Oh wait, I forgot that the library's on the surface. Disregard like half of that post.
>>
>>
> Go to Kurt's Crossing for the book
>>
Called. Writing.
>>
File: Glen.jpg (231 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Glen.jpg
231 KB, 1440x900
>>44317900
"We'll go to Kurt's Crossing, and hopefully find a map to get our bearings in the Atheneum. I'm assuming it's a bit more like the Basement?"

"Correct," Amy agrees. "Very closed-in, very defensible. And who knows what Brigette's done to it."

"...Okay, so serious talk here, if I die I need you two to keep your heads. I...might...be coming back."

"That might not be a reasonable expectation," Nathan notes.

"But we'll try," Amy adds.

"Alright. Let's pack our shit and go."

You instruct Fetch to stay with River and to keep an ear open in case you need to come running very fast to get help. Your tiny knight seems sad to be left out, but you reassure him that it's not his fault, and he takes it with stoic dignity.

"I feel like a goddamn play actor," you mutter, from beneath the thick brown robes with hood that you're currently using to hide your identity.

"No!" Amy protests. "You're a poooowerfuuuul wizaaaaard."

"...Amy, I'm going to hit you here in a minute."

"Ho, the Dungeon!" a voice calls from the top of the Dumbwaiter's shaft. "What news?"

"Making a trip to Kurt's Crossing," Nathan calls up. "Escorting someone to earn some extra coin."

"Loud and clear. Haul 'em up!"

> Proceed from Glen on foot
> Acquire horses. Accept that you will be gouged when you sell them at the Crossing.
>>
>>44318510
>Proceed from Glen on foot
Walking's good for the soul and the sole.
I'm so sorry
>>
> Acquire horses. Accept that you will be gouged when you sell them at the Crossing.

speed is of the essence!

...for some reason or another.
>>
>>44318510
>Proceed from Glen on foot
Horses are just wealth for bandits to steal.
>>
>>44318510
>Acquire horses.
> Also, retrieve our materials from that tree. When we return to the Dungeon, we're gonna be teleporting in via a book, not walking through the front door, which should make smuggling easier. If we're risking a trip to the surface, this is likely to be as good a chance as we're ever gonna get to get our stuff back.
>>
>>44318510
We can get our Lich kit! We should totally do that! Even if we don't end up using it, the possibility of some random necromancer finding it and becoming someones BBEG should be enough of a reason to bring it with us.
>>
>>44318636
>Seconding this.
>>
>>44318636
Triple that noise
>>
>>44318510
>>44318636
>>44318658
>Make a stop by where we hid our emergency Lich kit
>>
>>44318510
>> Proceed from Glen on foot
We aren't in any 'immediate' rush and walking would let us sort out any more stuff we got hanging around.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.