[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A King of Dust -One Shot-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: yamaku.png (632 KB, 1331x1620) Image search: [Google]
yamaku.png
632 KB, 1331x1620
Welcome everybody. I was previously the QM of Fate/Maimed Reality and I will be hosting today a one-shot quest. I've drawn a map that will help you understand the world we're in a little bit better.
This is to be considered a prologue of a much longer quest which is in the planning. As of now, it's important for me to learn how to give more options to the players, so this game will be entirely free-roaming.
I am also studying how other QMs use their twitter accounts

==================

How to read the map:

Green Borders : Hakamichi Territories
Purple Borders: Amber Plains
Blue Borders: Satou Territories
Red Borders: Former capital Area
Black Borders/Long Wall: Protectorate Territory

Sorry if the pic is too small to read, I will try to make it larger next time

And now we begin!
>>
>>44282894

“What a regrettable predicament”, you find yourself thinking.
Knee-dep in the mud of the trench, your fellow brothers in arm seem not to be as worried as you are. Have they come to terms with their own death? Or do they cling on the hope of eventually surviving?
A nearby soldier produces a phone from his pockets, and proceeds to show around the picture on the screen. It’s his family, an old-looking couple, a guy that must be in his late twenties, and a younger girl, although you’re not sure if the latter is the guy’s sister or his partner.
As you stare in the picture, you start recalling that day not long after your graduation.

A friend of your father had approached you with a rather alluring job offer in his company, member of the same keiretsu that employed your whole family.
“There is one condition, though”, he said. “One year of mandatory military training”
“Military training? But I am an engineer”
“The army needs military engineers, not only to design new weapons, but also on the battlefield”.
Weapon design wasn’t exactly your dream job, but there was no doubt that a lot of funds were diverted from civil to military engineering and, as a result, breakthroughs in military engineering often ended up benefitting the populace as well. Specifically, you were looking forward for the opportunity to design the first deepwater vessel.
After all, a year spent as frontline soldier in training could have only been beneficial for your curriculum given your aspirations, so you accepted.
“Why the condition, if I might inquire?”
You father friend took you by the arm and forced you to turn your back on the crowd, with the air of someone who is sharing confidential details.

(1/2)
>>
>>44282913
(2/2)

“My company as well as your father are part of a proud association of innovative businesses all united in their loyalties to the Hakamichi Zaibatsu. Now, there’s no mystery the Hakamichi have territorial ambitions over the Amber Plains, an area largely mutation-free even after the events of the Day of Infamy. It seems that after the pacificatory marriage the Satou might be incline to grant the annexation of that land to the Hakamichi. For this reason, Jigoro, the pater familias, has decided to offer special grants and privileges to single enterprises and entire keiretsu who provide a certain percentage of battle-ready employees. Most surely you will never see a battlefield in your life, but we get to offer you an higher starting salary. Sounds good, doesn’t it?”
It sounded good alright, but there was a catch. And the catch was you standing there in that muddy spot, attempting to defend the Hakamichi frontline on the Amber Creek.

Your first day at the training camp was nothing special. You remember it as consisting mostly of a long speech by an high-ranking officer and the attempts to mingle with your soon to be comrades. They were mostly dull and uneducated. Apparently they were in the process of organizing a wild night of partying, right on their first day at the camp, right before the attitudinal test.

>write in
>>
>>44282934
Let's go through our inventory.

What do we have with us?
>>
>>44283169
You're currently reminiscing your past.
What you have with you are your clothes, which you're wearing, a wallet with some money and an ID, and the keys to your room, in which you stored an extra uniform, casual clothing, parade uniform, and textbooks that might help for tomorrow's study.
>>
>>44283248
Wait, so is this write-in in the flashback, or write-in while in the trench?
>>
>>44283292
Right now it's a flashback, will go back to the future after this.
>>
>>44282934
>>44283328
Alright, thanks.

Let's familiarize ourselves with the layout of the camp. After that, uh, make sure to get to bed on time to get a good result on the test. I guess.
>>
>>44283355

You were instead more concerned with getting to know the place you'd be staying at.
After a couple of attempts at wandering around, a staff member stops you and points you to your room. He does however provide you with a brochure that includes a detailed map of the boot camp, unsure whether you're a brown noser or an escape artist.

That brochure, however, became much more useful for you than you'd have previously expected.
You managed to turn up for class earlier than anybody else, impressing the staff member you met the night before, who turned out to be your teacher for all the theoretical subjects you would have been learning.
Not only that, you aced the attitudinal test, and discovered to be a natural born artificer.

Whether it was assembling or defusing an explosive device, you were unrivaled among the recruits. "Bomber Bob" would in time become the name every soldier in training used to refer to you.

Because of your general contempt towards your comrades, you never managed to bond effectively with any of them. Not that you regret it, but in time like this, it could have been probably useful. "Severely lacks leadership skills", said your report card, but that never bothered you too much.

You and other 9 men are stuck in the trench, and you're just so glad the role of leading the men is assigned to Serg. Giraud and not to you. Then why is he looking at you so intensely?
He finally works up the courage to walk up to you.
"Oi, bomber Bob". He never bothered to learn the name it seems. "The Amber Wankers are coming. Not sure how many of them have proper weapons. Not sure how many of them are mutants or whatever hell-spawn abomination. What do you advise we do?"
"Shouldn't you be in charge?", you ask, annoyed.
"I am, and I am asking my subject what he thinks is wise. Come on Bomber Bob, we all know you've got the smarts. We all wanna go home and shag some pretty lady, so tell us how to do it and we'll all be happy".

(1/2)
>>
>>44283721
As a matter of fact, the only way the Amber Army has to assault the Hakamichi fortification on the Amber Creek is to cross several bridges. This allows for two possible strategies: blow up one (or more) of those bridges, or to assign an heavy machine gun team to every bridge. Or you can just tell your Sergeant to sod off.

>write in
>>
>>44283761
We should put heavy machine guns on every bridge while also preparing explosives to detonate the bridges. We don't really know the strength of their force and the bridges could still be useful to us, so blowing them up should be our last resort.
>>
>>44283761
I say we blow the bridges up.

Our objective is to DEFEND the fortification, not to take any offensive action on the other side of the river / canyon / massive pit of gelatinous cubes. If the bridges are gone, then we stand to gain.

We don't want to take machine-guns away from offensive units.
>>
>>44283866
Just because we were assigned to defend the fortification doesn't mean the bridges cease to be useful. Thinking in the long-term could prove to be beneficial.

Besides, why wouldn't we want to take machine guns away from offensive units if we don't plan to mount an offensive?
>>
It's probably possible to blow up all but one or two bridges. We control them, so they're not the defensive chokepoints against us they will be against the enemy. Then fewer MGs are diverted.
>>
>>44283797
>>44283866
>>44283911

"Alright Giraud, hear me out. To reach our position they need to cross Tomorrow's Bridge. We can take Michael and Nikita and assign them to the heavy machine gun, then we order them to defend the bridge.
Meanwhile, me and Sarkas will place explosives on the bridge. If worst comes to worst, we blow those Wankers up, and we'll see how good they are at swimming".

Giraud smiles imperceptibly and nods. He turns around and starts assigning orders.

In two hours, you're done. In four hours, the Amber Army is advancing. You see at least 200 men coming to cross the bridge.
"Half of them are mutants of some sort", Giraud comments with contempt.
Michael starts to shoot, and the first soldiers fall. Some others duck and try responding to the fire.
Giraud reaches for his binoculars. "Protectorate-made weapons. Why, of course. Thank you so much, southern friends!"
At least 50 men have been gunned down by Michael and Nikita, but a grenade thrown by an Amberian soldier blows the position up.
Sarkas reaches for the detonator and returns the favor to the Amberians. Those on the bridge explode or fall to their deaths in the river.

Giraud quickly establishes radio contact with the High Command to inform them of the situation. Some soldiers are still deployed on the other side of the bridge, they fire a couple of rounds, then realize they're out of range.
Slowly they go back whence they came.

You spend the rest of the day collecting what is left of your comrades. They could have been spared, probably, but war isn't just and war isn't fair.

The next day, Satou Special Corps are inspecting your trench. They're never a welcome sight, not even now that they're supposed "friends".
Sergeant Giraud is there explaining them what he defines "his plan", which is actually the strategy you came up with. The thing mildly annoys you, but you let it pass.
(1/2)
>>
>>44284196
(2/2)
The Satou officer, his arms crossed, is intently listening to the explanation. Once it's over, he speaks up.
"The Amberian strategy, no doubt a brainchild of the Protectorate High Command, was heavily reliant on that attack on the bridge to succeed. Apparently they had some intel that it was poorly defended. You and your squad have proved them otherwise, in what might have been the decisive battle in this war. I commend you Serg. Giraud, and I will recommend you for promotion".

'So he's gonna get promoted thanks to MY plan. War is really not fair'

>write in.
>>
>>44284249
Let's wait for new orders, I suppose.
>>
>>44284249
Being a leader doesn't mean to come up with every plan, sometimes getting input from subordinates is more important. We shouldn't take it personally anyway, since a higher rank means more responsibilities. We are only interested in engineering stuff, right?
>>
>>44284274
>>44284295

You're a bit annoyed and you get out of the tent.
You breathe the morning air, trying to let go of your resentment.
Giraud joins you a couple of minutes later, putting an hand on your shoulder.
"Thank you for not ratting me out, Bomber Bob. I didn't forget to include how crucial you were in the plans. The Satous said they are really impressed with your skills, they might have additional tasks for you to perform later, possibly".
He passes you a bar of chocolate. "Extra ratios from our buddies. Thought I'd share".
You devour the bar, overwhelmed by its full and sweet flavor. You let out a grunt of satisfaction.
"Those Spec Ops guys sure are spoiled"
"The whole Satou army is spoiled, really. It's just the Hakamichi who think that putting us into hardship will make us harder warriors. I don't entirely disagree, but giving your army a few extra fags isn't gonna make them sissies".
You both laugh at his joke.
"Seriously though, Giraud. What are the Satous doing here?"
He suddenly frowns. "Relationships between Satous and Hakamichis are not as good as they used to be. They never were to begin with, but they used to be able to stand each other at least for the whole War of Defiance. Then the Satou patriarch agreed to wed his daughter to the heir of Hakamichi, and that was a step forward I dare say. Then the old farts called it quits, and here we are. The new Satou lord had a daughter 8 years ago, then both his wife and his daughter got pregnant. The kids were born one year ago, and after that Hakamichi and Satou don't talk with each other anymore".
He lowers his voice, almost afraid of being heard. "It's rumored they both gave birth to mutants, but again, it's just rumor. It's likely the Satous gave the greenlight to the Hakamichi invasion just because they had another interest in the area. Our brothers in arms are probably here to see that this interest is protected".

(1/2)
>>
>>44285026
(2/2)

You see the officer Giraud was talking with earlier get out of his tent and signal you to come on in. A gun is on the floor.
"This is broken. Can you fix it?"
You take it into your hands, inspect it for a few, you remove some components and add them back again.
"Try now".
The soldier takes the gun into his hands, heads out and fires a couple of rounds.
"Nicely done, private. You passed the test. Now you're gonna come with us"

The prospect of a spec ops mission isn't really thrilling. Chances of dying are much higher

>write in
>>
any of my players still on?
>>
>>44285933
I'm here.

>>44285064
Let's go with him. [This is a quest; we might as well have an exciting time]
>>
>>44286077
"Alright then. What is it?"
"You will have details tomorrow. We will send special equipment later. Rest for now, and make sure to practice your skills"

The officer and the private leave shortly afterwards, leaving you with a lot of doubts and questions. Nevertheless you do as they said, and practice on an ordinance gun. You disassemble and reassemble it, you jam and fix it, and eventually you decide you're good to go.

That evening, you chat with Giraud.
"Sergeant, there's one last thing I must ask you"
"Don't talk like you're already dead"
"I might be tomorrow". You hand him a letter. "Give this to my parents if I don't come back. And thank you for heeding my advice. You saved our lives and many more"
"I already received my thanks in the form of a promotion. Thank you for coming up with the plan".
You shake hands, then you head for the tent and fall asleep.

You wake with the feeling that something's missing. Then you remember that specialized equipment was going to be here yesterday, except it never came. The first thing your eyes see as you wake up are the Satou Spec Ops soldiers.
"Rise and shine private. We brought the equipment. Sorry we couldn't deliver it yesterday".

You change into the brown, green and black camo complete with bulletproof vests that constitutes the uniform of a spec ops. The helmet covers your face completely and probably doubles as anti-gas mask.

"We're gonna cross the river at Tomorrow's Ford and infiltrate behind enemy lines. We are gonna perform an exchange. No other questions will be answered today"
You nod heavily and head for the exit.
Outside, the private that visited your encampment yesterday and 3 other soldiers are waiting. You're six in total.

(1/2)
>>
>>44286434

"Are we going to walk there?"
"Yes, why?"
"I just thought the Satou soldiers could do better"
"Then maybe you should show us what the Hakamichi endow their men with"
"A private's equipment isn't much"
"There's not much we need anyway while we're in hostile territory. We want to get out was soon as possible. Understood?"
"Sir yes, sir".

The walk is long and painful. Your feet hurt and you believe you have blisters by now. Then you cross the river on its shallow point, then you conclude that nothing will save you from fungal infection.
You walk well into the territories of the Amber Plains before stopping by at a broken house.

The Officer knocks three times and the door opens.

A middle-aged man is sitting on the sole chair in the room, in front of a worn table. He's holding a baby in his arms.

"Oh, my friends, you've arrived. I am sorry, I don't have much to share. The greed of the Hakamichi ravaged this land... nothing you didn't already know I guess"
"As if you were any better. Is that the kid?"
"Yes"
"Good. And where are the books?"
"I will make sure they're delivered at the Ford by the time you're there. Just to make sure that the exchange goes as planned".
"Very well. The guy is here".
You receive a push from a soldier standing behind you.
"You'll have to take one for the team, Hakamichi"

>write-in
>>
Oh fuck you're back.

Give me a few minutes to read up.
>>
>>44286568
>Who am I reporting to?
>>
>>44286769
gonna wait for you.
>>
>>44286912
As I understand it, we're being exchanged for the kid or some such?

Regardless, we're a soldier, and orders are orders.

what is it with you and katawa shoujo
>>
>>44286934
ayyy
>>44286804

No way to get out of this.
"Stabbed in the back by the Satou. It's a wonder how your kind hasn't gotten used to that yet", says the middle-aged man
"Big words coming from a small man. Now give us the child".
The man gets up and hand the soldiers a kid, no older than 1, completely wrapped in a towel. It appears that the face of the kid is wounded in some way.
The soldiers just silently take their leave.

"Who do I have the pleasure to talk with?", you inquire.
"It's your King. So you better keep your knee bent"
"There are no kings since..."
You stop in the middle of the sentence. You now realize who you're talking with. It's evident from the tattoo on his left hand.
"Oh, really? Well, your silence tells me that your probably reconsidered your foolish opinion. Now, can you show me how you assemble that gun?"
"And why would I?"
"Because I am your King"
"You're not my King. You might delude yourself into thinking otherwise, but you're just another wretched, miserable Mutant. You're a king of dust, nothing else".
"And isn't dust what all men become when their life is over? Therefore obey my orders, and show me how you assemble the gun".

He leans forward to stare at you, but his eyes are empty and white, devoid of expression.

You slowly take the weapon apart and pull it back together.
"What was the purpose of that? You clearly can't see anyway".
"On the contrary, my son. It's you, who can't see".

His eyes glow, and the weapon fluctuates in front of you. It breaks down, and it assembles again.
"My people is gonna need this. Not for greed and not for land-grabbing. Just for surviving".

You stand up, and prepare to leave.
"Oh, are you off already?"
"I am. I have nothing else to tell you".
"Very well then. Ash to ash, dust to dust".

Suddenly, you feel heavy, Very heavy.
You collapse on the ground, not able to sustain your weight. Your last thought is for the maimed kid you saw. Then everything around you goes black.
>>
I will be sticking around for feedback.

Thanks everyone.
>>
>>44287307
>feedback

Well, there's certainly no shortage of content in your OP posts. However, there seemed to be little choice given to the players'. It felt like we were being railroaded.
>>
>>44287374
Something I was trying to avoid.
It was an attempt to give more choice to the players by leaving everything to the write-in.
I think adding some suggestions might be for the best.

As I said in the OP I was trying to give players more chances and I ended up giving them less, since this was not an explicit complaint from the players in my last quest.
>>
>>44287307
Perhaps it's just late for me, but I didn't really understand too much of what's going on. There's a war, and mutants and magic apparently exist, Hakimichis are a shit as usual, and then some shit happened?

It was definitely easier last quest, since there was a preexisting context to draw from, unlike now.

Still, when's the next thread?
>>
>>44287418
Not anytime soon. This is just a prologue for a MUCH larger campaign. Its lore is so large that I still need tweaking. You can think of it as an alternative ending of our last campaign.

I might launch another quest soon, but it will be after Christmas.
>>
As far as I'm concerned, it just didn't seem like much happened. Choices-wise this was fine for me, though. Is this setting something up for a future thread? It seems like there's a larger story you wanted to tell with the eponymous King of Dust, is all.
>>
>>44287412
>It was an attempt to give more choice to the players by leaving everything to the write-in.
Not that anon, but I think it was mainly a consequence of the situation we were in. As a soldier, we basically have no choice but to follow orders or get court-martialled. Perhaps we could have deserted, but the thread was short enough that it didn't really seem like an option.

In the one choice where we had a chance to discuss and plan (the defense of the bridge) was basically a multiple-choice because a) there weren't enough players for a decent discussion, and b) we didn't know enough about the position and its environment to go with anything we weren't spoonfed.

I can also see that you were basically writing towards this conclusion, which may have been a factor in the degree of choice we had. If everything hadn't basically turned out the way it turned out, we wouldn't have met this guy.
>>
>>44287555
>>44287533

In a way you're both right. Since this is a prologue, it kinda had to end this way. I am sorry for the poor content I guess, the only thing I can say is that I was doing it for you guys, in order to offer you a better experience. And I thought it was better to test those boundaries on a prologue quest than in a main quest, or on (even worse!) episode 1.
>>
>>44287645
No problem. You just need to get used to writing such that there is (or at least appears to be) a degree of choice in between your important points, if those points are important.

I mean, ideally, you'd just create a world with an ongoing series of events that the players can affect through their actions, but that isn't the easiest thing to do.

Still, if your desired ending was basically 'soldier meets old guy in the middle of nowhere', there's probably a decent number of ways you can give the illusion of choice in between.
>>
>>44287802
That's what I was working on achieving. But that didn't go too well I am afraid.

Oh well, I will try again.
>>
>>44287842
Well, what sort of things did you anticipate us potentially doing, and how did you plan on reacting in those various possibilities?

Or were you just winging it?
>>
>>44287884
I had written down a number of major plot points: deciding whether to be social or not, deciding how to fight the battle, deciding whether to take the credit for the operation or not, and so forth.

Every combination would have played differently.
If you decided to become more social in the academy you wouldn't have been good at handling the plan with the bombs but you would have received support from other soldiers, and if your plans failed you would have been captured, etc etc.
>>
>>44287987
If the choices were all basically binary, there was there really any reason to make them all write-ins? In my experience, most QMs tend to not give write-in-only choices unless the choice is so open-ended that giving choices would be pointless (for instance in some drawthreads or in large-scale battle planning). In most other circumstances, it seems better to give players options with the option of write-ins so you can at least have some influence on what ridiculous bullshit they're going to try next.
>>
>>44288208
Probably. I never left write-ins open last quest, I guess I should probably just add the option to write-in on another pre-determined choice.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.