[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just read the first three Horus Heresy novels. Did Horus seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: horus.png (1 MB, 759x813) Image search: [Google]
horus.png
1 MB, 759x813
Just read the first three Horus Heresy novels. Did Horus seriously fall because he felt the Emperor didn't appreciate him enough even though he literally was the most important person in the galaxy after him and had been given every possible honor?
>>
>>44245781
Do not seek reason in falling to chaos.
It is cancerous madness what drives a man to fall, not reason.
>>
>>44245781
It was more because he believed that the Emperor wanted Godhood (which was probably the case anyway) and Chaos playing on his fears. It was less that the Emperor did not appreciate him and more that the Emperor was using and abusing all the Primarchs for the reason above. It just spirals downhill as it gets further into the heresy becoming more of a Horus ascending to Godhood and pulping the shit out of the Emperor.

You have to remember that he had no real encounter with Chaos, even though he mentions it earlier in Horus Rising when talking to Loken so as stupid as it sounds to us, he has no idea that they are playing him fully.

The writer of the second book was not really the greatest at explaining what happened.
>>
Pretty much what anon said, he went mad then tried to justify it.
>>
>>44245781
No, he fell for a multitude of reasons, none of which were enough to turn him, but all combined managed to sway him against the Emperor and into the service of Choas. He didn't feel that the Emperor wasn't honoring him enough for his services, he simply felt abandoned when the Emperor went from fighting at his side in the crusades to being reclusive and secretive back on Terra without explanation. That alone simply irked him. Then came Erebus with is knowledge of Chaos, which the Emperor didn't even bother to warn his sons about. Then Horus gets wounded on Davin with a corrupted chaos blade and has to rely on chaos cultists to heal him from a mortal would. While the blade corrupted his body, the healing from the Temple of the Serpent Lodge corrupted his mind. All these little things that ticked him off about what was going on suddenly were twisted and magnified in his view until he believed that the Emperor was truly his enemy.
>>
The see-through plot that Erebus pulled was the worst imo.
>>
>>44246083
That was some of the worst writing in the Heresy. Just felt like it was chucked in there to get it out of the way

Horus, the man who played numerous crowds with the use of the Mournival was played ridiculously badly by Erebus. Even Sinderman saw it and Horus did not.

"Hey Horus, they called you a bitch ass nigga"
"THEY WHAT?"
"Yeah, they are turning against you"
"TURNING AGAINST ME?(and not the imperium) FUCK IT, ABBADON, LOKEN AND CO, GET MY FUCKING SWORD AND SHIT, LETS GO KILL SOME BITCHES, WHAT COULD GO WRONG."
>>
>>44246141
"H-Horus-senpai, this seems kind of dumb and dangerous."
"Your concern is noted and utterly ignored, even though I gave you this position because I know your judgement is sound."
>>
>>44245781
Your statement is definitely one reason, though very simplified.

Look at it from this angle: Horus is a commander of an enormeous galactic conquest. He knows the effort and sacrifice of this conquest because he's seen it first hand. Him being at the forefront, where he constantly has to face new enemies that each draw their toll on his and all the other legions, is now also confronted with the bureaucracy that follows his conquest.

This very bureaucracy expects him to just make things fall into place, not nearly grasping half of the difficulties and hardships his forces have to undergo in order to even make any legal claim to tithes, tributes and taxes. And he sees how their demands, on their terms, receive more and more weight as the Imperium grows. Suddenly, he's not allowed to make a stand against the unrealistic expectations of desk-jobbers and sheltered officials so that he may balance their expectations out.

Also you must remember that all primarchs have, in short, massive daddy issues, especially because the Emperor really made his appearance and presence outright addictive. For him to retreat from the crusade was less than "leaving you guys in charge", it was outright emotional abandonment. Even though the primarchs are superhuman and of an outstanding intellect, they're not above feelings. In fact, their feelings are intensified because of their superhuman design. So now you have naturally occurring doubts, multiplied by a higher emotional impact, added by the fact that their emotional response was to the withdrawal of an addictive experience (the Emperor's presence).

Now couple that with the idea that the primarchs realised that they had, essentially, no right to actually govern what they conquered and instead had to hand everything over to people who had done nothing to earn it, which is pretty fugg'n unfair when you're honest, and it's quite easy to understand that those aspects made Horus at least susceptible.
>>
>>44246188
"Hey Horus, that ship looks awfully shitty. And I don't mean the literal shit smeared all over the walls and windows. Perhaps we should nuke it a little to soften it up and then go ahead balls to the wall, I mean we are quite heavily damaged and there could be loads more of the tenacious one eyed mutants"

"Nah fuck off Loken you pussy, you stay outside and guard shit or something whilst I go kill niggas."

That book was probably the worst in the whole series. Even Damnation of Jurassic Park had better writing that that shit.
>>
>>44245781
>>44246270

Additionally, we must also not forget that the influence of the chaos gods isn't just suggestive, at least not when chaos sorcery is involved as was in the Snake Temple. It becomes infectious and slowly creeps through the making of the soul. It can twist your entire personality wholly upside down while also distorting your former values, until you're nothing but a vessel for the Gods' ideals that were forcedly nested into your understanding of the universe.

With Horus' already existing doubts and discomforts at what he saw in the Imperium, he was susceptible to the first infectious contact of Chaos. This opening was exploited and eventually brought Horus down from the inside.
>>
>>44246343

This is what happens when there are multiple authors.
>>
>>44246473
Dan Abnett should have wrote the first three books for sure, although he has lost a lot of quality over the years, Horus Rising was pretty decent, Its a shame he was not allowed to continue. I think the variety of authors is alright for the Horus Heresy, but those first three books were the whole base for the rest of the series.

They made a horrible mistake, but hey, some of the books are alright!
>>
>>44246473
No.

This is what happens when you allow Graham McNeil to write anything.

The only proper response to seeing McNeil in your IP is throw him out an airlock.
>>
>>44247274
well anything to do with anything other than the Iron warriors. He seems to do alright there.
>>
>>44247274
The difference is that McNeil was one of the GW developers before he was a writer (Storm of Iron was his first novel, wasn't it? He must have been writing it alongside the Chaos 3.5 codex), whereas Abnett had a very successful career writing comics and the occasional novel before coming to GW. I think they both need good editors though, and neither of them get that kind of support from the company.
>>
>>44248684
Agreed.

Even my favourite HH books seem kind of...flawed, like they didn't go through a proper editing phase.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.