[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to to do with CoC party that is evil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
I've got 1920s CoC party that went full evil.To make a long story short they all died but their replacement characters.....

I've got two ghoul wannabes,,a guy with the deep one taint and a fucking hybrid spawn of Tsathoggua as party members.

Forget what anyone said about saving the world, i'm now stuck with half a dozen monsters as PCs.

So what do i do when every PC is a monster but they still want to be on the side of humanity? The Spawn of Tsathoggua can pass as human, do i just have her eliminate all their enemies while having the Ghouls clean up so she can make friends with the FBI? They don't want to hurt anyone or be bothered either, they will cooperate as long as they don't get fucked with.
>>
>>44222140
Their motivation is to keep themselves from getting discovered by the general public. Other monsters draw attention and make this difficult, so other monsters need to be dealt with, discretely if possible.
>>
>>44222140
Why did you allow this?
>>
>>44222140
You dun goofed. In fact this is so out of bounds, it must have been a mess to start with. Sounds like heroic chargen and an uncompromised Mythos arsenal, both are signs of breaking the genre.

Now the rules have no problem with this. But don't turn to the CoC community and look for a fix. This is more DnD with some HPL tacked on than it is CoC. We don't play the game like this because it's really boring. But you do whatever makes you happy.

As for what to do... You could pit the characters against each other, it's usually how evil stories go down. Greed, mistrust, deceit, betrayal... It can be fun.

Another way to go would be to take it into Better Angels. It's different mechanics, but its much more suited to superlatives and it has a nice twist on group dynamic. Mind you, Better Angels characters are good guys possessed by something evil, they try to keep it in check. But they have to compromise.
>>
File: bestflowchartever.jpg (436 KB, 1079x726) Image search: [Google]
bestflowchartever.jpg
436 KB, 1079x726
They want to be monsters? Let them be monster.
Give them a -50 on all personnel skills with normal people. Make regular folks call the cops and go insane when they come by. Force them into hiding and then once they feel safe have a bunch of no good investigators show up trying to mess all their hard work up.

Theirs a great scenario (pretty sure its in the dark mirror monograph) about a gang of ghouls working with a Hastur cultist to throw the police and some investigators off their trail. All the while dealing with ghoul tribe murder politics. Try something like that.

Remember all the monster they are playing as are still just as weak and insignificant as humans. A deep one is just as pathetic as a human as far as the outer gods are concerned. I doubt an elder thing would even be able to tell the difference between the ape like humanoids and the dog like humanoids so play with that. I wouldn't be surprised if that still had to make SAN rolls but just lost like 2 less sanity each time.

Remember CoC is a BRP system which means the only rules are the ones you want. Make shit up if it makes for a fun time and feel free to ignore and change the flow of the game. CoC works best with a dash of improv and a healthy disrespect for rules.
>>
File: 1HLGqaj.png (92 KB, 444x440) Image search: [Google]
1HLGqaj.png
92 KB, 444x440
>Play the game as intended
Or
>Continue down this path, having them all destroyed by one guy with an automatic weapon as is typical

In all seriousness you have crossed a line most people wouldn't be dumb enough to even go near and I can't tell if I'm impressed or mad.
>>
>>44222140
it doesn't work? seriously all the taint and such from the setting means you are bat shit insane, doesn't matter if you can physically pass as human mentaly you can't. Human desires are so banal and insignificant compared to how the cosmos works that to say that your party of CoC monsters wants to help humanity is like saying a person wants to work as an irrigation tech for an ant colony. It makes no sense.
>>
No ghoul or creature can reasonably still have sanity. And usually characters with san 0 go to the keeper as NPCs. But there are some exceptions.

One thing that happens at san 0 is that one of the main currencies of the game, sanity, is no longer an issue. The character can incur as much san damage as the player wants because it no longer affects them. This can be very powerful in a mixed group where the other players don't know. But that isn't the case here.

It removes a major handle the keeper is supposed to have on the characters. They normally can't be the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen because that would cost sanity every step of the way. So by removing that limit you break the game. As long as you are aware of this it need not be a problem. But your dramaturgy has to change drastically.

Really this is turning more into WoD (call it whatever you want) than CoC. It's no longer horror, but merely horror flavor. The scary things are not scary to the characters, and obviously they seem to be kind of a fetish for the players.

This in itself is not a problem. The problem will be the story. What do you do after all struggle has been removed? You need new struggle, but over what? Hiding from humans? Fighting other monsters? I think it will be really hard to find a compelling plot. I can imagine a few gimmicky ones, but those will only hold for a one-shot.
>>
>>44222186
>>44222506
>>44222740
>>44222740
The problem is none of the characters are evil, they are 'evil' because they are tainted by being hybrids of some sort or another. Most of them are human in thinking and motivations, they hate what they are. Besides the spawn of Tsathoggua gangster chick who is basically Venom from Marvel comics as a flapper.

>>44222898
What happened is pretty simple. Started playing a typical CoC campaign, i had everyone roll up 3-4 characters plus i let them play any cool 'helpful' mythos NPC if their character died during a game. So if their PC got killed, hey they can play the helpful ghoul or the sassy flapper who happens to be a spawn of Tsathoggua hybrid confused about her heritage. This was all well and good but we reached the point where every human died and there were nothing but monsters left, it's CoC and humans die like flies.

As to sanity, that is the only thing i worry about. Everyone is going to 0, given what they are it is inevitable. I have no problem running a campaign of lunatics, i'm just trying to figure out which ones could still interact with a human after they reach 0. Ghouls and deep ones have a certain pathology that i can work with, the hybrid spawn of Tsathoggua oddly is the most stable.

So what, direct them to being a CoC Suicide Squad? Spill everything they know to the FBI? Say fuck it to everything then start their own group?

It's getting into WoD or Cthuthultech areas,i'm not sure how i feel about that. I'd actually be OK with some form of 1920's Delta Green+1920's Cthuthultech if i can figure out how have the PCs interact. I'll probably have to sacrifice the Deep One hybrids, genetically they are eventually going to turn. Goulds are no problem, they can be bros. The Spawn would probably be a plot point.
>>
>>44225146
>This was all well and good
No, really not.
>going to 0, given what they are it is inevitable
No. They cannot become what they are and remain sane. You cannot hand out creature characters. And you definitely cannot hand out creature characters with san.

Your basic understanding of the genre is non existent. Play WoD, have fun. But don't expect a fix for problems that arise because you broke underlying concepts of the game.

Have you even read Lovecraft? Anything?

You completely misunderstand sanity and at this point my suggestion would be to ignore it entirely. Or, you know, play with a system that fits what you're doing.
>>
>>44222858
>>44222861
>>44222898
I DIDN'T INTEND FOR IT TO HAPPEN.

Just...All the human PCs died and everyone wanted to keep playing. All the players last chance alternate Characters were tainted in some way. A ghoul isn't a big deal as a PC if handled correctly nor is someone with the Innsmouth taint but we suddenly realized that everyone was tainted. They want to keep going, as a GM i can't say no as they are all good players.

Mechanically my problem is SAN rolls, technically anyone with 0 sanity can stare down Cthulhu himself but realistically that would not happen. Maybe replace SAN rolls with willpower rolls to avoid fear? Give them a bonus of some kind if they have a higher POW score then whatever they are facing?

So POW x5% to avoid fear +/- 5% per point of POW difference?
>>
>>44225273
there's nothing we can do for you. You are playing outside of the bounds that the system allows for, you should play something different
>>
>>44225273
No, man.
A ghoul PC is a major violation of the genre. You must understand the tropes before you break them. You are playing World of Darkness with BRP rules now.

The very idea behind Lovecraftian horror is that everything we hold dear and call reality is a self deception that keeps us functioning in society. And you took that away. You handed out PCs that can by definition never fall into that fallacy, and consequently they cannot be broken by the realization.

You strolled off the reservation and now you're asking where the trail is. But there is no trail. There is another game and it is perfect for what you are doing. I have mentioned it many times now.

In CoC a PC must be human and fallible. Their sense of reality must be based on the knowledge that things like the Mythos can not exist. If they're creatures themselves this does not work.

I don't know how in many more ways to tell you this. You are not playing Call of Cthulhu. You are playing World of Darkness with BRP crunch.
>>
>>44225332
.>>44225237
>A ghoul PC is a major violation of the genre.

Lovecraft wrote several stories where his self insert character was friends with ghouls. /tg/ can now officially go eat a dick because it it plays CoC without ever having read a single HP Lovecraft story ever.

Randolf Carter and his Ghoul buddies are literally going to piss on your heads next time you sleep, if i have done anything wrong it was to assume that you had actually read the books your games were based on. Damn you all for desecrating Lovecraft and everything he wrote not that that means anything to you because you have obviously never read any of it.
>>
>>44225427
Nice tantrum there, kiddo.
>>
>>44225427
>I only pick one line that doesn't represent the post to respond to: the post
>>
>>44222140
At least they're honest, anon.

Faced with the power of the Great Old Ones, many come to the conclusion that humanity is a dead end and the only way out is up.

This is what we call the "Herbert West" stage.

Your next job is to teach them that becoming abominations isn't going to save them either.
>>
>>44225427
The Dream Quest is very much an outlier to Lovecraft's norm. In every other story, Eldritch Shit breaks minds.
>>
>>44229955
Assuming that they're not what they think they are. They're just completely insane.

Give them occasional flashes of lucity, though.

I call this the Renfield Syndrome
>>
>>44225427
>Randolf Carter and his Ghoul buddies
Sorry, which ones are those? Last I saw of Randy was Statement?
>>
>>44222140
If you stop being human, you hit 0 SAN. 0 SAN = NPC. No exceptions. Purge with fire and salt the earth.
>>
>People claim this is the same /tg/ that brought us Old Man Henderson

Christ, you people aren't any fun
>>
>>44222140

Scrap CoC.

Seriously.

The idea of playing a Lovecraftian game as the bad guys is fine - it can be a great idea if you handle it right. But your biggest hiccup is going to be using the CoC system for playing the game.

WoD might not be a bad alternative for the system, as a chunk of it is devoted to the concept of levels of humanity and retaining it whilst still existing as a monster.

Depending on the players, if they're as good as you say you might even want to try going Rules Light and play using FATE.
>>
>>44234425
Old Man Henderson was playing as a human in a less than serious game of CoC. Anyone with a willing DM can have an OMH style game.
OP is presenting a game of CoC trying to be serious while simultaneously going out of the bounds of how the game can work.
>>
File: Nemesis Madness Meter effects.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Nemesis Madness Meter effects.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here is a list of points how mounting madness can present. It's not from CoC, but it follows the same assumption of what sanity is.

Try and apply these to your PCs, the build, not what the players are doing with them. You will notice that it makes little sense. Most things are way out of the range of experiences a creature will have. Some would fit nicely to describe a creature mind - a creature that is not sane in human terms, and how could it be. None are things that describe a loss for a creature character.

You simply can't use them to apply pressure to a character who is a creature.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.