[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roll 20 General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: roll20 large.jpg (23 KB, 625x182) Image search: [Google]
roll20 large.jpg
23 KB, 625x182
>discussing Roll20
>exchanging macros, maps and tokens
>bitching about the devs
>not asking for games because there's a gamefinder thread for that as far as I know

Also, a question.
>Game asks for backstories and character concepts
>three quarters of the applications are just "HI IM NEW AND WOULD LIKE TO JOIN (:"
Is this a regular occurrence or am I just unlucky?

----
-RESOURCES-
NOTE: Minus is dying/dead, so any maps/tokens salvaged are welcome. I'll create a Trove on Mega if there's enough donations
Tokens (Primarily manga-style): https://jii.moe/4kDeqcoSe.7z
Tokens(Fantasy): https://jii.moe/VJFqUhorx.7z
Tokens (Mixed): https://jii.moe/Ey2gP2sSl.7z
>>
>>44225532
>Is this a regular occurrence or am I just unlucky?
Pretty normal, roll20 is the first online stop for beginner roleplayers these days. And most of them think a scattershot approach to character applications is their best bet to get into a game or two.

Any good Cyberpunk 2020 games on there? I can never seem to find anything.
>>
>>44225608
>Pretty normal, roll20 is the first online stop for beginner roleplayers these days. And most of them think a scattershot approach to character applications is their best bet to get into a game or two.
That's kind of depressing... but explains why I seem to be taken first for like 100% of the games I apply to despite being fairly shit with a low amount of hours.

Also, where'd I go for modern interior maps? Even the commercial packs they offer are fairly underwhelming in terms of quantity.
>>
>>44225646
>Also, where'd I go for modern interior maps?

Cartographer's Guild has some free stuff, otherwise look here for a Maps thread. I've got a trove at home but can't access it now.
>>
>>44225719
>Cartographer's Guild has some free stuff, otherwise look here for a Maps thread. I've got a trove at home but can't access it now.
Oh cool, waiting warmly. Thank you.
>>
File: 130.png (773 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
130.png
773 KB, 750x750
>>44225532

>Tokens (Primarily manga-style): https://jii.moe/4kDeqcoSe.7z

I now have many more tokens to add to this collection, but they will have to wait until tomorrow, as I am in a bit of a rush.
>>
File: Roll20Example.png (1 MB, 1846x945) Image search: [Google]
Roll20Example.png
1 MB, 1846x945
>>44225532
>Is this a regular occurrence or am I just unlucky?

I´ve been on the site since the early days and that has never changed, you´ll get the same bloody response from people just spam-requesting to get into games no-matter how much information you post.

I´ve learned that making a 1-2 page that clearly defines what you are looking for/want in a game gets you the good players that actually bother reading it.

>>44225646
Use the search function really, there is plenty of stuff in there if you start looking around a bit, for external pieces I´d suggest rpgmapshare.

General question: When looking for games do you ever actually use the LFplayer function? Is it any good?
>>
First time using Roll20 for my Achtung! Cthulhu campaign I'm running and it seems pretty neat.

Only problems are the lack of free available maps and tokens, as well as the obtuse and clunky zooming system.

I'm considering upgrading to one of the subscriptions. Anyone know if it gets you any of the premium tokens or maps?
>>
Are there any advantages that roll20 has over just using Google Hangouts, if you don't care about any of the maps/minis/tokens stuff?
>>
>>44225779
I thought you couldn't use roll20?
>>
File: 1444886520567.png (122 KB, 298x288) Image search: [Google]
1444886520567.png
122 KB, 298x288
>>44226455
>Nero
>Finding a game
Jej, to be honest.
>>
>>44226861
Macros.
>>
File: 1355327218663.gif (197 KB, 462x326) Image search: [Google]
1355327218663.gif
197 KB, 462x326
>>44226895
A man can dream.

>>44226861
There are built in sheets and macros but I am pretty sure google hangouts can do that as well? Nothing major really unless you want to use their LFG system etc.
>>
File: KermitPanic.jpg (325 KB, 1280x1600) Image search: [Google]
KermitPanic.jpg
325 KB, 1280x1600
>"Video & Voice"
WHY
>>
File: Happy_8fea87_521988.gif (94 KB, 425x417) Image search: [Google]
Happy_8fea87_521988.gif
94 KB, 425x417
And then there's the GMs that post a the first paragraph of their fanfic as their game's summary and nothing else.
How am I supposed to join if I don't even know what you want? I honestly get a feel that they just want a bunch of supporting characters for their main GMPC mary sue.
Roll20 is good, but there's a lot of garbage to go through until you get a pearl, much like real life
>>
>>44228146
Video is pointless unless you are using facerig, but voice is good as not everyone can type faster than they can speak
>>
>>44228643
>Video is pointless unless you are using facerig, but voice is good as not everyone can type faster than they can speak
Voice is perfectly fine by me. Well, not perfectly (yet), but I've trained myself to enjoy it. Video on the other hand is... generally a bad idea, even when the others aren't neckbeards or such.

>>44228425
I'm always amused when those games end up showing up each day I check with exactly the same amounts of players as last time.
>>
File: 127.png (595 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
127.png
595 KB, 750x750
>>44226879

I cannot. I use them for MapTool instead.
>>
>>44228711
I remember one fanfic game I found today that had like, the most mary sue female main char, a female DM with 0 hours played and at least 20 neckbeard trying to join cause grillz
>>
As a rule, if your post or application contains misspellings, poor or no grammar, and you respond to an actually detailed campaign post with "im interested when can i join?", I will ignore you outright.

If you can't be bothered to communicate like a human being, then I have no reason to assume you are intelligent enough to be worth the time.

And yet you people still do it. Over and over and over.
>>
>>44228425
Pretty much.

Roll20 is a giant refuse dump. You have to sift through so much shit to get at the good stuff.

We spent months going through 18 applicants before we found one that wasn't a combination of flaky, stupid, magical realmy, or powergamer.
>>
>>44226533
There are some unlocks of tokens/similar when you upgrade to mentor but its hardly a lot more then what is commonly avaliable - the real advantage for map building is the dynamic lighting really.

Mentors forums is pretty good to if you need inspiration for shit, there are some DM´s that do map-sharing there as well.
>>
I really want to find a good HERO system group but I can only find one and it is for one-shots only, which I don't like.
>>44229009
Yeah. Saw that and immediately NOPE'd away.
>>
>>44229032
Found the vegan, guys.
>>
File: 1449539589356.jpg (900 KB, 2550x1650) Image search: [Google]
1449539589356.jpg
900 KB, 2550x1650
Sharing some premade maps. If anyone has any monster icons I would appreciate it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ihyxi86x2o1ye7/Roll+20+map+dump.zip
>>
File: 1449547163178.jpg (212 KB, 736x1472) Image search: [Google]
1449547163178.jpg
212 KB, 736x1472
>>44229499
Oh boy, brilliant! Now I can finally start my berserk RP!

Seriously though, thanks for this dump, been looking for something like this.
>>
>>44225608
I've seen two CP 2020 lfgs in the last couple of weeks. One of them seems to be taking their time and is starting in jan. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>44229032
I generally don't respond and just delete the three word posts, because a wall of "can I joins?" with no replies is generally discouraging and gets you even less good bites. Typos and poor grammar can play just fine, though. Making the effort to communicate as asked even if you're not as educated or capable counts for a lot more than a /lit/ snob who thinks everything should be about them, because they know when to use a semi-colon.
>>
>>44230352
Sorry, if you misspell and use no grammar in your typing, I can't give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend it's possible you might not be a drooling retard worth the time, you just can't be bothered to type properly in a message that is specifically about you selling yourself as a better choice than other applicants.
>>
>>44230352
>a wall of "can I joins?" with no replies is generally discouraging and gets you even less good bites

This. If I see a wall of shitty looking applicants I assume that the people in the game are made up of this caliber of player.
>>
>>44230352
>>44230394
>>44230549
Looks like there's a lot of self-selection happening on roll20.
>>
>>44230352
While it's true that good grammar doesn't necessarily equal not a retard while playing and visa versa, it's a lot easier to just generalize and filter by grammar.

It's awfully sad that one rising star of a player missed out on my game because of your capitalized post but at the end of the day I just don't care enough to give everyone a full interview before letting them play.
>>
>>44230394
The right attitude and willingness to play with a team -rather than for yourself only- is far more important than Oxford level grammar. You can be as eloquent as you like, if you're a drama-loving, autistic, sperging asshole, I don't want to play with you; I've had a few very good typers (not roleplayers or even writers; just typers) who fit that description to a T and whose immature bullshit I can do without.

and then i have the us marine who served two tours and types like this but is a total bro. I'd gladly play with him any day of the week.
>>
>>44230583
This is what I'm saying.

Like, I'm sure I've probably ignored a dozen players who would have been awesome roleplayers or enjoyable people to have in my game, but I just don't have the time or energy to screen through that many people. I need a way to filter people initially, and the easiest way to do that is your initial message. If you type like a retard, I label you one.

Sorry if you're a fantastic player getting shafted because you failed to communicate like a human being. That's your fault, not mine.
>>
>>44230568
>People want to play with like minded people
How terrible.
>>
>>44230584
>>The right attitude and willingness to play with a team -rather than for yourself only- is far more important than Oxford level grammar.

We're not talking about the quality of person in the game. We're talking about people selling themselves as players in order to get selected for an interview so they MIGHT get into a group.

If you type like an idiot. why would I want to take time out of my day to interview you? How do I choose to spend time interviewing you and finding out that despite your refusal to form a coherent message, you're actually an awesome person, when I have 30 other people with exactly the same one-line, no-grammar messages who want their own shot, most all of whom WILL be the retard their typing skills indicate?

If you apply to a job with a resume written on notebook paper, it doesn't matter how good of a guy you are, you still failed at selling yourself.
>>
>>44230611
I mostly filter by content. I care less how they spell and far more what they say as well as how they say it. I used to do the grammar thing, but you run into truly terrible people that way sometimes, so I have to say, the real decider is content and attitude.

A decent set of questions to gauge that attitude tends to help.
>>
>>44230655
I don't do interviews. Nobody has time for that and I don't feel like giving the entirity of people on roll20 my skype info. I ask a series of questions and look at how they answer them. That's it. You can tell enough about people from how they sell themselves there.
>>
>>44230662
Well, yeah, obviously. Once someone has actually gotten my attention, I usually send a fairly long reply which is pretty stock, since it describes the ways I do things and the types of games I tend to run, as well as asking some basic questions. It's my way of screening people.

I look on the forums and I see threads that go like:
>Lol who wants to play a game?
>I do! What timezone?
>Cool, you're in.

That shit makes me cringe.
>>
>>44230697
>Nobody has time for that and I don't feel like giving the entirity of people on roll20 my skype info.

Oh boy it's so fucking hard to have a second Skype account.

Also, that's not it. Nigga, I had a pretty well worded and complete conversation with a guy for one game I was running, and when I brought him onto Skype to talk one-on-one, he spent the entire conversation shifting in and out of a dozen fake accents because he was convinced he was so good at them that he could just do that and no one would notice and no one would be able to tell what his real accent was. And then he was like "By the way, did you notice..."

Yeah, no. Sorry. That guy can fuck right off, and I would have only learned that when the game started if I hadn't actually made the effort to talk to him and the rest of my players before setting up the group. It's mandatory.
>>
>>44230714
I put it in a sticky and don't even get the "Can I joins?" in large number anymore. Being upfront with your questions and that you won't so much as consider people too assblasted to read them saves you so much work. Top priority goes to the people who are actively curious about the game and setting. They tend to range from good to awesome.

>>44230770
I guess I'm more patient with people. That really wouldn't bug me per se. On the other hand, I'm not shy at all about just kicking someone out.
>>
>>44230860
>That really wouldn't bug me per se.
That's because you're probably as bad as he is.

>On the other hand, I'm not shy at all about just kicking someone out.
Neither am I. I'm certainly not wasting weeks of my life and entire sessions of a game in a group with other people just to learn someone is a fuckwit, only to kick them out and then need to start the application process all over again.

No, I'll do that shit before I put the group together and start the game.
>>
>>44230919
>That's because you're probably as bad as he is.

Yep. You're one of the types I filter for.
>>
>>44230568
>Looks like there's a lot of self-selection happening on roll20.
Which is a good thing.
>>
Anyone ever ironically play in a furry game as a human? Like, you're just a normal guy and wondering what the hell is going on with the neon animal people and shit.
>>
>>44231120
Yes. It's called my life.
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 1000x667
Every day I check for pendragon games, I've been running it forever and I've always wanted to play it.

There never are any games.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.