[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /tg/ always call "SHILL! SHILL! SHILL!" whenever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: 1449723847228.jpg (386 KB, 1200x1067) Image search: [Google]
1449723847228.jpg
386 KB, 1200x1067
Why does /tg/ always call "SHILL! SHILL! SHILL!" whenever someone tries to drum up interest in an RPG or some other /tg/-related product they like, as if developers regularly come to /tg/ to peddle their products?

And when developers actually do show themselves in threads like /wodg/ or /pfg/, everyone is all welcoming and chummy all of a sudden instead of calling out shilling.
>>
Because when someone randomly posts a thread about some weird RPG and tries to get everyone interested in it, it usually sounds pretty fake.

Like, most people asking about an RPG usually post something along the lines of "Does anyone play whatever?" and that's it.

So when you get posts like "Anyone play whatever? It's really good and nice and new and indie and on sale right now." It's pretty obvious of their intent.

When devs show up in threads about their products that are already running, it's pretty obvious they're not there to hawk their product. Everyone in the thread is most likely already owning it or interested, after all.
>>
>>44206768
>someone tries to drum up interest

That's what shilling is.
>>
Ironically, I wouldn't mind at all if developers came here to promote their game. Like they created a thread, used a trip, and as well as showing and talking about their game and posting info and insider pics, they also answered questions and took input and stuff. Not like an ongoing general thread every day or so, but every once in awhile? Sure.

When someone does it for free though, even someone who has nothing to do with the developers or the game? No way.
>>
File: newsflash.jpg (152 KB, 1109x1069) Image search: [Google]
newsflash.jpg
152 KB, 1109x1069
>>44206768
People are stupid.
>>
>>44206768
It's cancer from /v/.

As if there would be any harm in knowing more systems in our already absolutely niche hobby.
>>
>>44206768
It's a combination of two things.
The whole "VIRAL! REEEEEE!" thing is cross-board pollution from /v/.
As to the second, when a dev shows up, is honest about their identity, and starts answering questions and shit, it's appreciated and in return they get the civility that /tg/ is still occasionally capable of.
>>
>>44206790
>Like, most people asking about an RPG usually post something along the lines of "Does anyone play whatever?" and that's it.

>So when you get posts like "Anyone play whatever? It's really good and nice and new and indie and on sale right now."

This is what /v/tards actually believe.
>>
>>44206768
>And when developers actually do show themselves in threads like /wodg/ or /pfg/, everyone is all welcoming and chummy all of a sudden instead of calling out shilling.
It's about presentation.
>>
>>44206768
Bleedover from /v/
>>
Hi anonymous four chins!

I am just a perfectly innocuous traveller on the big truck of the interwebby and was wondering if any of you /b/rothers has heard of an ebic game called DUNGEON WORLD? It is OVER 9000 times more full of win than ceiling cat!
>>
>And when developers actually do show themselves in threads like /wodg/ or /pfg/, everyone is all welcoming and chummy all of a sudden instead of calling out shilling.

Openly telling that you're associated with x and willing to discuss and answer questions about it, especially in a thread that already exists and is dedicated to x, is completely different from actually shilling: that is, anonymously making threads to drum up support for your product.

Mind you, I'm far from convinced that there are any shills actively promoting products in /tg/, but there you go.
>>
>>44206956

Dungeon World doesn't have shills, it has evangelistic fans.

You know the kind of cunt that won't shut up about XKCD, or Doctor Who, or Community? It has those assholes. Not shills, but still annoying
>>
>>44206768

Web 3.0 jackasses trying to fit in with ebin 4chin xD culture. Provided you're showing everyone on an anonymous imageboard that you're cool and edgy enough to shitpost, who cares that you contributed nothing to the discussion?
>>
>>44206948
I don't visit /v/ but is the contamination really that bad? /tg/ is already some weird Neutral ground between half the boards here anyway.
>>
>>44206768
Because most of the time they ARE shills who make it very obvious from the way they post that they aren't part of the community: actually using a name, emoticons, writing like it's a fucking sales pitch, copying a post word-for-word that you just posted on reddit and rpg.net 5 minutes ago, etc...

Compared to something like
>Anonymous
>unrelated animu picture
>Hey teej has anybody played X? Thinking about trying it out with my group.
>>
>>44206818
>>44206768
It's absolutely this, OP. We like it when a developer shows interest in our opinions, and answers our question, but some generic mook? Nah.
>>
>>44207363
Who the fuck would actually get paid to post on /tg/?

Serious question here.
>>
>>44206768
/tg/ has been the target of very aggressive viral marketting before. see Dawn of War Retribution, CthulhuTech, and most major RPG releases.
>>
>>44207630
Plenty of people. You vastly underestimate the marketing value of this site. /tg/ isn't big but pretty much 99.9% of its users are prime marketing targets. Its worth paying someone 50$ a month to shill here since even if one of you fucks take the bite it pretty much pays for itself.
>>
>>44206790

This.

I don't object to someone trying to sell me on a product, I object to them acting like it's entirely out of genuine personal interest and not because they're the devs/are paid by the devs. If it's honest, it's fine, but if you're trying to trick me, you get the boot.
>>
>>44207210
/v/ is lost, its full of shills and SJW plants.

/tg/ isn't neutral ground, its just irrelevant, which is our luck. Our own homegrown shills aren't so numerous that they shit up everything constantly.
>>
>>44207210

>weird Neutral ground

/tg/ is the garbage bin for the stuff other people don't want. It was even created as such.
>>
>>44207739
>this lie

Go away.
>>
>>44207210
/v/ is dead, thanks to TORtanic and Gamergate.

TORtanic turned "/v/ hates video games lol" from a self-ironic meme into reality where every new game is immediately picked apart and bashed for "le epic banter" and showing the slightest bit of positivity and optimism means you're a shill who should go back to his hugbox subreddit. Meanwhile Gamergate made it so that every other thread is SJW witch hunts, /pol/-tier bait and whining about censorship, with no video games anywhere in sight. If you thought /tg/'s occasional "-4 STR" bait thread was bad, imagine if every other thread here was like this, at every hour of the day.

In short this poster here >>44207731 is everything that is wrong with /v/ these days.
>>
>>44207684
/tg/ is positively tiny compared to major RPG forums.
>>
>>44207729
How much money do you think there is in the tabletop scene?

I guarantee you there are a lot more fanboys than there are paid shills. If someone makes positive noises about a random new game, it's because they honestly like it and want more people to play it.

I won't discount the possibility that they made it, but I don't think that's all that common here.
>>
The only properties I could remotely imagine people being paid to shill for are the big players like 40k, M:tG and D&D. But nobody gets called shill for starting a thread on one of those.
>>
Because you've been bringing up Strike! non fucking stop and this is an experience that is pretty much only happening to you.
>>
>>44208067

/v/rigins never call out the big players.

It's why for every thread shitting on a AAA game, there's a thread calling people to play on a /v/ server.

Look at smash threads.
>>
>>44207835
Truth hurts saltmonger?
>>
>>44208082
Touhoufag is a legit Strike! dev, bro.
>>
>>44207210
>>44207731
>>44207835
Honestly it's a lot better than TORtenic times
>>
>I don't like dishonest advertising
>proceeds to answer the questions of dishonest advertisers looking for input on how they can shill better
>>
>>44208250
Saying "salt" doesn't make you clever. Anyone can spout memes, it's just that people with brains have better shit to say.
>>
>>44206818
If someone does it for free and is not connected to the seller at all, then by very definition they are not a shill.
>>
DnD are dying. 40k is expensive.

Gulden is the future.
>>
Fuck off, Touhoufag. No one wants to play your shitty 4e clone.

(ps: if I can immediately tell who it is and what the context is, it's prevalent enough to be shilling)
>>
>>44206768
Because /tg/ is a horrible horrible place. Everyone is paranoid that people posting about a game they like is getting paid to brainwash the masses into buying their game. In response /tg/ collectively puts on their tinfoil hats and scream and shit until the new thing goes away. Then they go back to mtg threads to talk about how each spoiled card is killing magic, or dnd threads to complain about how bad dnd sucks.
>>
>>44206768
Because expressing a positive opinion of something new and different is bad and will lead to wrongbadfun
>>
>>44207630
Fake or disingenuous posts, whether they are reviews, testimony, sale advertisements, or just interest starters are incredibly common on many interest sites. If you've ever held a job in a marketing firm, you've probably been asked to do this.

Source: me and fellow marketers/advertisers being jaded by: "No word of mouth? Make your own!"

Also, check out company X! Such a wide variety of such and such and they don't cater to those rules-light ERP fags, amirite? And with low prices, they make competitor Y look like a joke!
>>
>>44209062
Anyone who's actually being paid to do this is going to be more subtle about it.
>>
>>44208054
Your newfag is showing. Crawl back to your reddit hugbox and leave quality sites for quality people, garbage.
>>
>>44209290
>Quality site
>4chan
>>
>>44209290
>quality sites for quality people
kek
kek
kek
Captcha: Pasta
This is my favorite pasta
>>
>>44209327
>>44209311
Wave your false flag harder, maybe you'll cry yourself to sleep tonight
>>
>>44209360
Thank you, master.
May I polish your shoes with my tongue?
>>
>>44209360
Trying too hard is a thing you know. Anyone got the fishing pole bait image?
>>
>>44209360

4chan is older posters ironically shitposting, and newcomers who haven't caught on but won't shut up to learn, and it's been that way since early in the second year of the site.

Guess which category you fit in.
>>
>>44209405
Nah, I posted mine yesterday and it hasn't been returned yet.
>>
>>44209508
Too bad. When you get it back, can I borrow it?
>>
>>44209508
Shame, I too have run out for I often frequent the Leman Russ threads.
>>
>>44206768
Let's assume for the sake of argument that what you say is true.

Viral marketing exists. It's a real thing. When people post here as anons and push for a particular game or engine it evokes the suspicion that they are in fact not just another ordinary anon but a paid shill attempting to further a marketing campaign. Thus they get called out as "SHILLS SHILLS SHILLS!"

When a developer actually show themselves they do just that, show themselves. They come to meet the anons at face value, which is far more appreciated and welcomed than acts of deceit and subterfuge by fucking secret shills.

That make sense?
>>
I can understand someone yelling about shills on /v/ or /g/ because you have to buy something.

On /tg/, I almost always have someone dropping the PDF or a link to it.

Does it really count as the memetic version of shilling if they give it to you for free here?
>>
File: ultra AC 2 bait.png (57 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
ultra AC 2 bait.png
57 KB, 500x501
>>44209405
>>44209508
Just for you, anons.
>>
>>44209624
Mine! No
one else can have it!
>>
>>44206768
Because it's common for developers to come here and beg people to buy their games and fund their kickstarters.
>>
>>44206768

Strike! Is not a good system. It's a decent first attempt, though.
>>
How do you even get employed as a shill? Do you have to write a email to the company and offer your services? How much do they pay?
>>
>>44209851
You get paid in players, anon.

First, you hook them into the game, then you can make your campaign in the system you are advocating.
>>
>>44209851
Usually, it's the developers themselves who shill. It's cheaper than buying ads, and faster than building a reputation.
>>
>>44209851
Generally speaking, you get a job with a marketing firm who pays you to make a twitter account/post on message boards about how great whatever is.
>>
>>44207009

To be fair, it also has trolls who pretend to be annoying fans specifically to piss people off. Virt used to do that shit
>>
File: rip-ammunition.jpg (82 KB, 450x499) Image search: [Google]
rip-ammunition.jpg
82 KB, 450x499
>>44208054
>I guarantee you there are a lot more fanboys than there are paid shills. If someone makes positive noises about a random new game, it's because they honestly like it and want more people to play it.

>>44206768
>hy does /tg/ always call "SHILL! SHILL! SHILL!" whenever someone tries to drum up interest in an RPG or some other /tg/-related product they like, as if developers regularly come to /tg/ to peddle their products?

The issue that they will make threads every day or so. Over the same topic for weeks or months. It is not as bad as it was on /k this summer. The pic is of item that had one to 3 threads per-day on /k for 3 months.
>>
>>44207729
I too object to people being interested in things they like. How fucking dare they try to introduce things to other people with enthusiasm.
>>
>>44210162
Is there any need for a round to be shaped like that? It's not aerodynamic, it's just more obnoxious to manufacture.

Wouldn't a hollow round just do the similar thing?
>>
>>44213187
It's a superspecial hollowpoint.
>>
>>44206768
>OYYYYY VEY, WHY DO THE GOYS ALWAYS FIND ME OUT?

Go back to >>>r/shekels
>>
>>44213214
Lead free, so your child can play with it!
>>
>>44213724
You would think solid copper thing would make the lead free kind of redundant.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.