[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone give me a decent rundown on Fury of Dracula? Waiting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: adog.jpg (101 KB, 500x548) Image search: [Google]
adog.jpg
101 KB, 500x548
Can anyone give me a decent rundown on Fury of Dracula? Waiting on it to give as a gift, looks intriguing. Also, general decent horror game suggestions?
>>
>>44171788
>Can anyone give me a decent rundown on Fury of Dracula?

Yes. Don't run it, it's a bad adventure. We struggled through it ourselves and ended up canning the game half way through and moving on to something else.

> decent horror games

Well, it's more a style of GMing, of sublety and nonconfrontation. Don't let the player see the monster until it is too late. Add in creepy effects like broken televisions that make static that you can almost here a voice in, photos with weird shit in the background, etc.. Just all kinds of fucked up shit.

Anyway, good horror RPGs:

> Call of Cthulu (of course)
> GURPS
> not Dread
> not Paranoia (dunno why people even suggest that one)
> not Don't Rest Your Head
> not End of the World games
> definitely not World of Darkness

Honestly, though, a horror campaign depends far more on the GMing technique used rather than the system itself.
>>
>>44171845
Thanks, have you any experience with the mammoth Arkham Horror, tried to get into it twice, and the set up alone had us totally baffled.
>>
>>44171845
(Fury of Dracula is a board game)
>>
>>44172008
This. It seems fairly straight foreward, but I've been conned in the past.
>>
File: 1446435609074.jpg (660 KB, 870x1600) Image search: [Google]
1446435609074.jpg
660 KB, 870x1600
>>44171788
>that pic
>Dogscape, the beginning.

Also makes me think of this.
>>
>>44171983
Considering how complex and ultimately unsatisfying Arkham Horror is, just play a couple of one-shot CoC games.
>>
>>44171788
You bastard. Why that pic?

I'm having dog-world flashbacks now.,
>>
>>44172212
Fair enough, maybe I'll take a stab at it, was so excited.

So hard to find something engaging and fluid consistently, outside of Betrayal..
>>
>>44171845
You are an idiot, and you have ill considered opinions.
>>
>>44171983
(other anon here)
I play Arkham Horror regularly, not exactly taht much a mammoth game when you're used to the machanics and don't forget anything, just needs a big table (even moreso with the add-ons).
It's fun, not very scary, unless the session has been running for some hours and every dice roll/picked card can lead to a total disaster.
>>
>>44172418

Why am I an idiot? There is nothing wrong with my opinions. Why, are you just triggered because I didn't like your precious Paranoia? Or Dread?
>>
>>44172425
True, just haven't had the time to get it all down, took a few hours once, set it up and got through roughly half the book, just need more time. Is there anything else like it, but scaled back for someone not so initiated?
>>
I don't think a game can convey horror.
With a lot of effort an GM can manage a little tension in roleplaying games. But tabletop games? Nah.

I know a few spooky themed games. But they are funny, not scary. Dead of Winter is a nice spin on the BSG principle (traitor game).
>>
>>44172748
I just like the theme, none that I've ever played have made me afraid, it just gives context relevant to my interests. I've heard of DoW, haven't check it out as of yet, thanks!
>>
The FFG games are colorful, but they lack in the mechanics. The players cannot make a lot of decisions, and have very little to base those on. It's basically just drawing cards and then defeating what's on it. It's basically a cross and circle game, only the topography is dynamic due to cards.
>>
>>44173067
Zombies!!! is hella-fun.
It's basically acting out a zombie B-movie with plastic men on random tiles. Super simple, great expansions, solid genre parody.
>>
>>44171788
>>44172164
>>44172384
>Dogscape
Don't bring that evil here.
>>
>>44173198
You know when you find something so horrible you can't look away?

That's dogworld.
>>
>>44173219
I said don't bring that evil here, anon.

There are things that mortals aren't mean to remember.
>>
File: dogscape_by_porkcow.jpg (64 KB, 900x450) Image search: [Google]
dogscape_by_porkcow.jpg
64 KB, 900x450
>>44173249

C̙͙̘̺͍̰̻̫͔̪a̗̼̰͖n̹͇̩̺̻͎̙'͎̹̺t͓̺͈̥̰͕̯͍̯̝ ͍̹̬̤͉u̳͚̹̭͇̰̖͕ͅn̞̻̱̲̙̭̦͈̝̭̠̖͓̬͚̗̜̭͖s̬͙̺̪̩e͇͈̙͔̗̜͈͕̯̰̻̜͈e̳̰̹͕̥͍͙͍̼͈͔̩̤̥

C̘̰̠̙̫͚͔̰̦͇a̭̘̻̥̥̮̘̘̭̘͖͕̩̱̳ͅͅn͈͕̖̭̟'͔̳̤͖̣̹̹͍̥̺̱̞t̺̩̤̯̼͎͉̰͓̳̞̰̳̞͙ ̝͇̗̘̠̤̣̯̦̥u͙͉͚͈̗̺̼͎̤̬̝̩n͙̰͙̪̝̥̖͇͙̙s͚̬̫͙̳̙̠̫̥e̹̥̜̠̖̰̼̺e̩̟̦̜ͅ

C̜̞̖̮̙̲̰̲̖͚a͙͎̫̝̠͉͖̝͔ͅn͔͍̩̲͖̘̱̘̳͎̭͙'̳̞͎̲͕͉̪̼̰̬̦͍̙t͇̭̣̥͚̗͚͔̲̳̭̙̰͕̣ͅ ̝̞̬̠̫͎͓̩͍ͅu̫̱̪̟̳̯̦̞̭̗̩̫̤̣̦̯n̬͙̫̱̭̯̦̮̺̲̗̦͓̩s̤̻̦̭̘̼͙̟̫e̲̩͕̣̳̠̖̟̲̫̳͖̫͔̩̖̙͔ͅe͓͙͕̻̭̫̜̰̘̗ͅ
>>
File: 1375222218430.gif (389 KB, 763x831) Image search: [Google]
1375222218430.gif
389 KB, 763x831
>>44172384
>>44173198
The Evil of Marmaduke would make for an interesting horror game/story.

A large, almost demonic dog who imposes his will upon a small town forced to emulate the 1950s of American suburbs as he relentlessly torments them all with his "zantanic" antics.
>>
now I want to know about dogscape
>>
>>44171788
>Can anyone give me a decent rundown on Fury of Dracula?
Whoever is dracula has to run a careful balance. If Dracula goes all out to win there is no way the other players can win. What I tend to do is start in a single region and simply build up there for a few turns, if investigators start to approach my region I might move to attack one of them individually. Once the investigators have some ability to track me and have good equipment I start to actually do everything I can to win.

If someone is really obsessed with winning don't let him be Dracula he will spend the first ten turns in Britain jumping around and then jump to the Balkans or some shit with the investigators being unable to catch him.

Honestly as long as the guy playing dracula plays along instead of going all out to win it is a great game.
>>
>>44175303
You don't want to know about dogscape.

Trust me on this.
>>
>>44175794
I do
>>
File: 1995-11-03 - Situation Comedy.png (295 KB, 1105x355) Image search: [Google]
1995-11-03 - Situation Comedy.png
295 KB, 1105x355
>>44175794
>oh I can't wait to have some anons beg me for something this is the only interaction I've had in years I love orgasm denial roleplay
>>
>>44173186
As a owner of zombies, it's good but can get a bit repetitive. the visuals of the little town filled with zombies are great but the endgame IME comes down to a little zombie dance as a couple of players try to go for the chopper. Personally I think it really calls for a Co-op mod.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.