[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: gurps.jpg (64 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gurps.jpg
64 KB, 400x400
The usual disclaimer that some of these links may not work applies.

=GURPS Resources==
If you want to learn the basic mechanics of the system, get GURPS Lite for free at www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

Character Templates. Think Character Classes.
http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Templates

GURPS 4th edition Books:
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ!8cgQgBpL

4th edition Character Sheet utility:
https://www.gurpscharactersheet.com

Combat Examples. Very useful for new players and GMs! Check out how different options effect things.
http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/

GURPS Murder Simulator, a fun tool to simulate shooting people in GURPS.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40207800/MiscDev/MurderSim2015.exe

GURPS 3rd edition PDFS. Unreliable. Try again if they don't work.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qiq29z073l9zs/GURPS
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fvkg5h94x1k1m/GURPS

What Skills should every PC have? Good idea, moderate execution.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=369148&postcount=22
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=676097&postcount=4

Combat Cheat Sheet
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10971026/Combat%20Maneuvers%20Cheat%20Sheet%202.04.pdf

Random utility
gurpscalculator.com

Magic System comparisons
http://pastebin.com/4Wk6gB2D (embed) (HTTP)

Planet and star generator:
http://higarashi.big-metto.net/upload/CeleNavigation/CelestialNavigation_x86.zip

Innate Attack Calculator, missing some modifiers:
www.sjgames.com/gameaids/gurps/g4innatecalc.html

>what's going on in your current campaign/s?
>what's the coolest thing that happened in one of your GURPS games?
>are you thinking about GMing a campaign? what's the setting?
>>
>>44159476

Yep, this is it. And I'm really unsure on what I'm doing. Players want 1800s dungeonpunk, a genre I have little experience with. Everything I have for experience/inspiration drags me back into high fantasy.

What do?
>>
File: gurps_kittens_story.png (183 KB, 969x843) Image search: [Google]
gurps_kittens_story.png
183 KB, 969x843
Screencap of a story I posted quite a while ago. Going to be running the continuation of it in the next week, hopefully.
>>

I have an idea I'm working on. There'll be 4 players who will play a unit of black-ops operators who go on covert missions ala Mission Impossible/James Bond. They will have to break into government buildings like embassies or private buildings. Some missions will be in different countries. Some missions permit the use of deadly force, others don't. Some missions will only be about eliminating a target, others will be about saving a high profile hostage held by terrorists. Some missions will be about infiltrating and stealing delicate data, others about destroying delicate data. And so one. On one mission the team encounters a person that seems to have super powers and things go wrong, forcing them to abort the mission.

But that's only the prologue. The main part is very Supers-heavy. These top sectret special black ops operators will get the offer to partake in a sectret, government-sponsored experiment. The players will only know that they will gain powers but not what kind of powers.

Player 1 will have altered cells which generate and store electricity. He will be able to discharge lightning bolts from his hands. He will recharge naturally but it takes a while. He can accelerate the process by hooking himself up to an electrical socket or something like that. Can't charge by getting hit by lightning though. That's too much at once and would kill him.

Player 2 will also have altered cells. His cells generate gravitons, enabling him to fly. At first not too fast, but he'll be able to level up in order to reach a higher max speed.

to be continued...
>>
>>44160041

Player 3 will have an altered brain. He will be able to process information much faster. Not only that, he can sense other people's brainwaves and influence them in a way so he'd be invisible to them. They "see" him but their brain just don't compute that information. Imagine checking the time on your cell and then having to check again 3 seconds later because you didn't really compute. He will be invisible to them. At first he won't be able to do that to many people at once or at great range, but he will also be able to level up.

Players 4 will start to lose all his hair (all of it... eyebrows, eyelashes, etc) shortly after the experiment. He will be able to transform into something best described as the Lizard from the Amazing Spider-Man movie. Transforming back will prove difficult but with time he'll be able to handle it. Hair will be gone forever though.
>>
Should I start with 3e or 4e?
>>
>>44160700
4e is a marked improvement as a system compared to 3e overall. In addition you can easily convert material between them, but most people play 4e GURPS over 3e these days.
>>
Has anyone tried running a quest using GURPS mechanics?
>>
>>44160041
I'm running a very similar cyberpunk game right now. Tl9 + some tl10 and ^

We're well into the second act, but only one guy is embracing the superpowers/psi abilities. The fact that they're facing down mutants cultists and elder signs, I would have thought they'd be more up for tapping into powers. But really they're doubling down on cyber wear and gadgets.
>>
Is there somewhere to find rules for adding DR to armor?
>>
>>44164184
There is lots of different options in Low-Tech for TL1-4 armor.
>>
>>44164990
What about higher TL or to vehicles?
>>
>>44165253
I'm racist against anything over TL4, so can't help you with that, sorry.

Though I imagine the Low-Tech rules for making plate thicker/heavier would work on metal breastplates and similar for several TL's afterwards.
>>
>>44165253
There's stuff in ultra-tech and high-tech for adding reactive armor of assorted kinds.
>>
>>44163822
In my setting all the powers are biological but are brain-related powers automatically psionic?
>>
>>44166235
Stuff that's purely enhanced information processing (Enhanced Time Sense, Compartmentalized Mind, hey maybe even Oracle with enough bullshitting?) could fit as biological brain upgrades. Maybe even mental influence advantages if they require Melee Attack (reach C) and Contact Agent so you have to connect your nervous system with theirs through the skin somehow?
>>
>>44166235
Been running gurps for two decades.

In 4th you can put limitations on pretty much any advantage/power and even SPELLS(RPM) and arbitrarily call it "biological, or Psi"
>>
The only thing gurps is missing is premade adventures.

Going balls deep with ad hoc gets boring after a year.
>>
>>44160041
>>44160069
Don't you think it could be problematic to change the setting that much? Your players are expecting a black ops campaign when suddenly super powers show up and one of your players turns into a hairless, ugly lizard monster.
>>
In general, how do you guys feel about GURPS artwork? I see it gets a lot of shit on /tg/ but its honestly some of the best art ive ever seen, gets me in the mood to play

I think stars without number has horrible art
>>
>>44167046
Pretty sure there are a couple of premade adventures. Though maybe they were fanmade. Can't remember right now.
>>
>>44167060

Here's a mouthful for you. Who the fuck cares about artwork ?

GURPS arts sucks ass. Sure there's a few gems here and there but there's no consistency, and that's why it sucks ass.

>>44167066 There's ONE official medium-sized adventure, and 2 one session adventures.

There's 0~ player made adventures. There are a couple of "campaign logs" but you have to sift through random "nerd prose" to find even the smallest relevant lore or game mechanic.

It's the ONLY problem GURPS has. Otherwise it's flawless.
>>
>>44167086

Also; The company is really crumpling. Steve Jackson remain an "idea man" that only jumps in to save franchises on the very last second.

Every who isn't Steve Jackson or the main GURPS guys are either: Useless wives on payroll, useless friends on payroll useless "Steve played junior-league baseball with me when we were kids, I have no work-skills" on payroll etc.

They're a buddy company crowding around Steve Jackson. All they want to do is somehow scramble enough attention from Steve so that he can dedicate his time on playing and inventing games.

They don't have a business strategy beyond "oh shit . . this THING just happened but let's not bother steve", and "OMG OMG OMG THE CUSTOMERS HAVE EXPECTATIONS ON US HOLY SHIT I CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE omg omg omg- MELTDOWN sorry steve :("
>>
>>44167176
ALSO; ALSO

KROMM ("Line editor" of GURPS, de facto figure head of the GURPS franchise")
Openly shows zero sympathy for GURPS sale figures and doesn't want to give an INCH to the community in order to change their strategies.
He's the polar opposite of a video game developer, he's saying, repeatedly "Magic in GURPS 4e is a mess, but we couldn't let all those 3e spells go unused. 5e will not come before 2020" . . . etc
>>
>>44167232

That said GURPS is the only game system worth its salt in the whole entirety of pen and paper "crunchy" games, and it still holds a candle towards "pure social" games like Vampire.

There, you got your free bumps. Now you do something
>>
>>44160041
>>44160069
I like the idea except for one thing.

P1 will be able to disable people and electronics. Very useful in a black ops setting
P2 will be able to check out locations and quickly move between places. Also follow and observe people easily and undetected. Very useful in this setting.
P3 can make himself invisible. If that's not useful when you try to remain undetected I don't know what is.
And then there's P4. He gets to turn into a big, loud monster that's only good at smashing and punching. And maybe climbing but for that there's the guy with flying. All the others have cool abilities that help them to stay out of sight in a certain way but P4 can't do any of that. You should think of a different power.
>>
>>44167237
>GURPS is the only game system worth its salt in the whole entirety of pen and paper "crunchy" games,
Good god, this is nerdwank of the highest order. You sound like such a complete prat.
>>
>>44167414
How is he wrong? Show me a better "crunchy" system.
>>
Just a quick question for anybody who might be able to answer it; I'm planning on running a game and am selecting my rules to use, and I planned on running the "Tactical Shooting" rules. The question I have is that, for those who would prefer not to use those rules and just use the base combat rules, would that put them at a disadvantage at all? If so, I think I'd rather just stick to one or the other, but obviously making your players read more than they want to can get a bit shitty.
>>
>>44167626
Actually, Tactical Shooting is mostly putting penalties on stuff for the sake of realism. So it would actually put them at advantage. Though there are some simple rules that any campaign can benefit from - for example, counting ranged weapons as melee weapons in melee ranges, allowing them to get +4 from AoA and be used with Telegraphic Attack.
>>
>>44167667

Ah. Makes sense, thank you. I'm running a realistic zombie game, so I thought tactical shooting might be a good addition. But I'm questioning it now. You have any thoughts on that? The last time I ran this I only ran it with the core book.
>>
>>44167675
Well, I guess you can read it and grab some rules that you may like.
>>
>>44167667
What does AoA mean?
>>
>>44167701
All-Out Attack
>>
>>44167675
GURPS is realistic enough as-is. Adding in TS is for groups wanting to operate operationally. It's important to remember that most PCs in that sort of game will be very competent and able to deal with all the penalties and situations TS throws at them and still have a good chance of coming out on top. Survivors in a zombie game need as much wiggle room as possible to survive, because they won't be a green beret with Guns-18 and the best tactical gear, they'll likely be an average schmoe that maybe fired their dad's pistol once or twice.

You don't need to go super-cinematic, but you shouldn't go super-realistic either. The default assumptions for GURPS sits in the nice valley of heroic realism where shit feels gritty but the game isn't going to be a huge meatgrinder.
>>
>>44167086
The fuck are you talking about, there are plenty of fan-made adventures. I concur that SJG is awfully lacking in that department, but if you suck at googling then don't spread lies.
>>
I got to play GURPS instead of GMing last night. I was on the edge of mortality for an entire fight, but didn't die. My brother played a thief and stole a tea set from a rich family, had another player cheat at a drinking contest with a brute, pretended to be his friend to bring him someplace safe when he got drunk, but instead decided to bring the guy back to the rich family and frame him as the guy who stole their important tea set.

He got a big reward for helping them find it.
>>
>>44169427

I'm jealous, being Forever GM can be tiring.
>>
>>44168349
Link me one full fleshed adventure module.

I'm waiting.

You won't do it though, because there isn't any.

>inb4 he links me to some messy "dungeon log" where people haphazardly wrote down their current sessions
>>
>>44170250
I have an idea for writing out a module for GURPS, but I dunno how exactly to do it. Maybe it's just a google search away, but I guess there is probably good advice for a module just a google search away.

I dunno how you tackle something that big by yourself though. My first naive guess is to think of it as CYOA, knowing that it is impossible to capture every single possible outcome, but starting with Scenario 1:
If Success, Go to Scenario 2A,
If Failure, Go to Scenario 2B,
If somehow short circuited, and neither 2A nor 2B apply, try 2C.

And maybe try to make a chain about 5ish to 10ish deep... but 3^10 = 59,049, so that's a lot of scenarios. Obviously, it wouldn't be a straight up 3^10 though. If players short circuit or derail the original plot enough, you're probably so far off in lala land or so far past the point of redemption that you are now in an entirely new story, or the results of different outcomes to a particular scenario don't elicit an entirely new path (Scenario: Find ally that can help with x, failure: Do what you had to do anyways, but now it'll be much harder) So more realistically, 5ish scenarios deep is probably 20 complete ideas, and 10ish scenarios deep is probably 40 complete ideas... and that is still a ton of work.
>>
>>44171210

I'd personally recommend setting it up similar to how Shadowrun 4e modules were setup. They had sections for each scenario entitled "Scan This" (a summary of what was to happen in that scenario), "Tell it to them straight" (basically stuff you'd be reading them depending on their actions, if you're into that kind of thing), "Hooks" (things to get your players interested in what's going on in this scene), "Behind The Scenes" (all of your good GM related information about the scene, stat blocks for NPCs, setting information, etc.), "Pushing The Envelope" (ways to make the adventure slightly different/difficult), and finally "Debugging" (aka "What to do when your players fuck up.")

All of this is assuming that you want to run a linear type game that has a certain end.
>>
>>44171293
That all sounds like a pretty good organization too. GURPS is the only RPG I've ever played so I don't know how other systems do modules, and the only modules I've seen are the few shortish official scenarios, which have most of that except the two last elements you describe, which honestly sound like pretty good ideas. I think the closest there was to a "Debugging" section in the scenarios I've seen is, "Everyone is jail, start planning a break," or, "Everyone probably died now."

What I have in my post is kinda my "Just-in-time" personal style when I GM. Before the session, I try to guess how much of a plot the players will complete, and be ready for at least a winning condition, a losing condition, and one or two potential short-circuits.

I feel like a module has to be pretty linear by definition of what it is, or at best, branching paths, but I'd be interested to know if it's common to have totally open sandbox modules... which I would probably more likely call a lore bible with stat blocks.
>>
>>44171485
Well, as a small correction, there are some examples of the remix idea too. In one pyramid article, it suggests running mirror of the fire demon in the unforgiving frozen north instead of the unforgiving deserts of Pseudo Arabia, and it has a recommendation for enemy groups saying that if the players like challenging battles, the parties of the rivals, which consist of generic "Caster 1"s and "Ranger 2"s, can be replaced with all named NPCs with more challenging stat blocks.
>>
File: 1449040604278.png (188 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
1449040604278.png
188 KB, 373x327
>>44170250
wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Beneath_Castle_Everglory
Here you go, bro, although you are quite a nasty and low-calibre troll.
Oh, and no backpedaling on this one, like 'it's not a module', 'it doesn't have an established setting', 'it's just an exception', 'it's df', 'there's no art'. It's an 80+ pages complete adventure with everything included, monster statblocks, encounters, treasures, descriptions. Not attaching since it exceeds 8MB limit.

And there are other excellent works on the web, and I will have to quote myself:
>but if you suck at googling then don't spread lies.
And not knowing how to google in 20-fucking-15, what an embarrassment of a troll.
>>
Alternate history cyberpunk/psiberpunk that takes place after WW3 and of course the discovery of psionic powers. I'm planning on having quite a few locations featured on the campaign, such as the Nuevo-Angeles Metroplex, Miami, Panama, Tallinn, and an orbital O'Neil colony. I'm starting it off with the players having to look for a missing person in NAM (Nuevo-Angeles Metroplex), and going from there.
>>
If I've got a 3-point Blessing and roll an 18, but have a 15 in the skill in question, is it still a crit failure? Do I succeed?
>>
Someone recommended that I use GURPS for a old west game. I'm not really familiar with the game - can someone recommend which books/sourcebooks I should dig up? There are a bloody lot of them.
>>
>>44172252
Depends on how much/what kind of details you want in your game. Basic Set might be all you need, but you'll probably want to look at high tech for an expanded equipment list. I don't think there's a dedicated old west-sourcebook, but like you said there are a bloody lot of them so don't quote me on this.
>>
>>44171972
>wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Beneath_Castle_Everglory
18 is always a critical failure for a success roll.

If your skill is 16 or higher then 17 is a normal failure. If your skill is 15 or lower then 17 is a critical failure.
>>
>>44172318
>>44172252
GURPS High-Tech - Action Guns might be useful, and it gives ideas for books useful for similar games. Turns out there IS an Old West book, I just can't find it in the layout for the folders in the OP downloads link.
>>
>>44172423
3-point Blessing reduces the roll by three, though, so I'm not 100% on how it interacts. If it's an "Ask Your GM" situation, that's cool, but if there's a definitive answer, it'd be good to know.
>>
>>44172530
What is the book name of the trait or a page number? I'm not finding anything that sounds close and reduces your roll.
>>
>>44167086
Real easy to talk like youre a big dog online huh? You arent worth shit
>>
>>44173003
It's in Magic, p.129 (131 of the PDF in the OP's download box)
>>
>>44173003
>>44173082
Wait, no, never mind, says it doesn't affect crit successes. Ignore me, I apparently cannot read.
>>
>>44173082
Ah! Bless spell. I was looking through Dungeon Fantasy and Divine Favor stuff. My bad.

Bless specifically says it doesn't effect criticals and ends when a roll is failed. So, 18 critically fails and the blessing dissolves.
>>
>>44172501
Old West's a 3e book.
Pretty good too.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.