[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this guy in my 5e group is saying that telepathy should count
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
So this guy in my 5e group is saying that telepathy should count as a language that you can pick up, like acting the same as Common or Dwarvish. Someone in the group says that it shouldn't count as a language that you can learn, but it's more like an ability. What does /tg/ think?
>>
source for that pic?
>>
Nah, Telepathy is a power. Your guy wanting it to count as a language is trying to powergame.
>>
>>44130803
It's definitly more like an ability. If it counted as a language there would be no reason to take anything else, since Telepathy lets you bypass the language barrier entirely.

Like, imagine if this was your list of options for language

>Common
>Elven
>Dwarven
>The ability to speak with anyone who speaks those three languages without the chance of anyone else overhearing

The only benefits to actually knowing a language would be reading and giving speeches, which aren't nearly as frequent.
>>
>>44130803
>Someone in the group says that it shouldn't count as a language that you can learn, but it's more like an ability.
This.

Telepathy is granted via racial or class features, or spells. It cannot be learnt like a spoken language.
>>
In that case why bother having any other languages?

Unless, like other languages, it's a form of telepathy requiring both parties to have it.
>>
File: 1358524981200.jpg (47 KB, 296x341) Image search: [Google]
1358524981200.jpg
47 KB, 296x341
>So this guy in my 5e group is saying that telepathy should count as a language that you can pick up, like acting the same as Common or Dwarvish

What's his justification?
>>
>>44130848
judging by that face, it could be Moon over June webcomics
>>
>>44130869
In some setting, you can read thought and "speak" in the mind of other not with an universal language but in your mother language (the language you think in). See ti like this: you are German and want to speak to a French, you likely won't be understood if you spead to him in german unless the French speak it
>>
>>44130803
You mean you should be able to learn telepathy by being around telepaths a lot, and talking to them telepathically? Cause that's just plain stupid.

or you mean just because two people can look into each other's head, that doesn't mean they can automatically talk with each other? because that's better.
>>
>>44130803
I'd say it's a language, but one conveyed by a sense that most people just don't have. Trying to learn it without inherent telepathic ability would be like a blind person trying to read printed text.
>>
>>44131072
On the contrary, going by the mechanics, it's perceived by a sense anyone with a language has, but most lack the ability to broadcast it. Like how any old radio can receive, but not all can transmit.
>>
>>44130803
Telepathy is something in the brain, or magic, but either way you have it or you don't. Like a third arm.
>>
>>44131138
So more like a mute person trying to learn how to sing.

Telepathy is broadcasting your inner monologue into the minds of others so they can hear you. Everyone has the inner monologue, but if you don't have the broadcasting equipment you can make anyone else hear it.

This is why there are spells that do the same thing, such as message, mind reading, or the monk's class ability.
>>
Definately more of an ability. Has several differentiators from language, the very least of which it is non-vocal.

Sounds to me like someone is making a power gaming ploy. But if anyone could take Telepathy as a language, who wouldn't?

That said, it might make the basis for an interesting setting in its own right.
>>
>>44130803
Being able to broadcast telepathically I'd treat as an ability, while communicating effectively in it (or conversely masking your thoughts) would be a skill. A non-telepath could get better at holding mental conversations with a psychic partner, but wouldn't be able to initiate such a conversation, as it were; at most, telepaths might be able to pick up on the non-psychic's mind becoming more open to telepathy and take it as a cue that they want to talk.
>>
File: yuri ra2.jpg (376 KB, 1541x964) Image search: [Google]
yuri ra2.jpg
376 KB, 1541x964
>>44131138
I'm onto you're schemes man, don't fuck with me
>>
Has no one ever thought of the incredible power telepathy gives, and especially when it's a race/class that just has it, like the Ghostwise Halflings in D&D?

Since telepathy doesn't require lungs or breathing, one can keep talking for as long as they want, and since it ( I assume ) has ranges of volume, it can be extremely loud since, again, no lungs or breathing to hold it back. Therefor, as my Halfling I can keep permanently screaming as loud as possible inside people's heads, drowning out all of their thoughts and making it extremely hard for them to focus on anything, or even sleep. I think that it'd make for a great assassin, as I could hide nearby my target and drown their minds out with unending, horrific wailing, keeping it going until my target kills themselves.
>>
>>44130888
nah, it's cup o' love
>>
>>44130803
It's an ability, granted by a race, class, spell, or magical item.
>>
>>44130803
It should be both. you have the ability to read minds, but you can only understand the types of minds you've learned to interpret; i.e. if you don't know elvish, how can you understand an elf's thoughts?
>>
>>44130803
If magic is common in your setting, and if this "telepathy" is not psionic, go with it
just remember that both ends have to learn it, and it can't be a first-language
>>
>>44130803
Well, it was implemented as a bonus language in PCGen, but of course it's a goddamn ability, why do you even ask?
>>
>>44130803
Just like being able to fly around, being invisible, and shooting ass-lasers it is a skill you can learn by practicing like a language. Why would you think any different?
>>
By itself it negates the need to ever learn another language
>>
>>44139554
I imagine that it'd be only something you'd be able to convey basic feelings/concepts with. If you wanted to go into actual detail like "Go down the hallway and it's the first door on your left" you'd need an actual language to give complex instructions like that, unless you're particularly skilled at telepathy or whatever.
>>
>>44130803
>>44130848
Cup o love.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.