[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ Shadowrun General- Explaining the Matrix Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: 1443986512083.jpg (703 KB, 800x863) Image search: [Google]
1443986512083.jpg
703 KB, 800x863
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr (embed)

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest
Issue tracker:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest

Last Thread: >>44076080

In this thread, we take on the Matrix. What does it look like, what do you do while you're there, what your favourite host and avatar are, etc.

Does anyone have the old /srg/ copypasta? I would have loved to use it in this thread, autist triggering or no
>>
>>44111327
OK, so I'll try to give a simple version.

You wake up, and flip on your commlink to AR, which you would typically keep on by default. Lots of little windows pop up in your vision, giving you basically real life HUD. News and twitter/facebook on the left, AROs pointing out sales down the street, incoming text messages, youtube videos, music based on your mood at read by a biomonitor and run through Shiawase's algorithms. Anything you can do on your laptop, you can do in AR. Can other people see what you're doing? Nothing in the books about it, I just assume you can turn that feature off and on. GM's call.
>>
>>44111467
Now you drop into VR, cold sim. Your body goes limp, and you see a couple portals in front of you. You have a medium lifestyle, so you have access to the public grid, which looks like a floating flag of whatever nation you're in. To the left of that, you see the Emerald City grid icon, which looks like, well, a floating green city. You choose whichever one you want to join. This is important, not just because of cross grid problems with hacking (you take penalties), but net neutrality is not a thing, which means certain hosts (the VR equivalent to websites) aren't available on others, because the host has to pay the grid to be up.
>>
File: 1446932253493.jpg (133 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
1446932253493.jpg
133 KB, 736x981
>>44111467
>Can other people see what you're doing?

I assumed that you could share AROs with people; for example, you can both look at the same video at the same time. They mention that a few times in the fiction, people passing maps to each other etc. I count it as a mark that a device has on another if you get permission to share AROs with their glasses/commlink.
>>
>>44111467
>Can other people see what you're doing?

Any other device currently in use and not running silent have their own icon, as do programs. It's pretty easy to get a general idea of what someone is doing, but going into specifics needs more work.
>>
Can anyone give a quick rundown of the basic rules. I'm GMing the game for a bunch of new people and I'm not great at explainING stuff in the simplest terms.
>>
>>44111535
You pick the Emerald City grid, because fuck the public grid, it's terrible. You get a 5 senses experience as you land on the city streets. There's people walking around, some are others in VR like you, and some are just logged in AR, and you see their personas, whatever avatar they choose, which might be a griffin, a popular movie character, a stylized version of themselves...whatever you want, as long as it's metahuman sized. Looking up, you see an emerald sky with bunches of shapes floating around like planets. These are your hosts on this grid. On the Horizon grid, you'll walk onto a beach, and the hosts are beach shops and boats. What each grid looks like is on p86 of Data Trails. Anything not listed there, make up. No one cares that much.

So you hop onto your favorite movie host, let's say Netflix, because watching in AR is lame when you can have a whole movie theater to yourself. You float on up to the giant Netflix logo in the sky(or it might look like a box of popcorn, whatever). You invite the host to mark you, and it offers the same courtesy, so you enter through a door/the wall of the host/whatever.
>>
So we burned Evo really badly. Any advice on counter measures to take up when they inevitably start sending kill teams after us?
>>
>>44111634
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/u5plw5pi6ahpl/Shadowrun

a folder containing rule summaries.
>>
>>44111647
Now you're in the mood for a hot blooded action trid, so you're gonna switch to hot sim as you pick the latest Mad Max. This means your comm is no longer filtering all the shit that flows around, which makes it feel even more lifelike. Game terms, it gives you a boost to initiative, but any biofeedback damage you take becomes physical. It's mostly used by hackers, spiders, or people looking for an edge playing the vidya. But for this example you're watching a movie.

Now, the inside of the host can have different physics, and look like whatever you want. Host designer is a job, and a coveted one at that. Not unheard of to nab them during extractions. Our Netflix example is a giant empty theater, just for you (or your friends if you want to invite them) with a nice leather armchair, perfect room temperature, and whatever else you can imagine to make it the most comfy experience possible. Then you just pick a movie from the menu, and kick back for the super high def, hot sim version. Other hosts may have other people visible when you enter, and there might be a theme, like jungle safari. As a runner, typically you change your icon to blend in, so you might change to look like a british explorer or something.
>>
>>44111634
Yeah, the closest to basic rules is the starter kit, but you'll really have to do some reading if this is gonna be a longer campaign.
>>
What's the state of Cambodia and/or Vietnam in the sixth world?
>>
>>44112082
Aren't they part of Australiasia?
>>
Hoi chummers

I keep seeing posts about the 5e setting being boring.
Having only played a few games of 5e what am I missing out on? What's different/better about the settings for the other editions?
>>
>>44112190
For me it comes down to this.

1) 4e they seemed to at least make an EFFORT to have hacking/the matrix/digital shit all SOMEWHAT realistic based on how the internet works now and where it's going. Yes, it lost out on the whole 'attributes used for combat and instead you use gear and programs', but it felt more real for anybody with even a little understanding of how internet architecture works.

5e went back to hollywood hacking, and also I just find the idea of privatized internet grids so incredibly distasteful that I gagged any time I read those sections. As somebody who enjoys playing Technomancer (which was incredibly reduced in effectiveness except when played in a very, VERY narrow style), it was a bit of a blow.

2) The rebalancing of pricing, essence costs, equipment availability, and how various stats interacted reduced the effectiveness of anybody who wasn't awakened, to the point where adepts and mages outshown fully cybered samurai, deckers, riggers, pretty much everybody, simply because of how much less resources they had to put into improving their capabilities compared to everyone else.

Luckily, my group largely agreed with this sentiment (and I largely got it from playing them most likely), so it works out.
>>
>>44111467
so how exactly do you steal info on this overlaid AR as a decker/hacker/technomancer/whatever?

also what the fuck is this thing
>>
>>44112342
Hack the target commlink (or whatever) by putting marks on it, and use the Edit File action to copy it to your own.
>>
>>44112342
Step 1: Identify the guy's comlink/device he's using to connect to the matrix in the virtual space.
Step 2: hack the guy's comlink//device he's using to connect to the matrix.
Step 3: order the now hacked guy's comlink/device he's using to connect to the matrix to send the info to yours.
>>
>>44111552
Goddamn cyberlimbs are so ubiquitous in the art but mechanically so bad in the game.

It's infuriating.
>>
File: 1438574828784.jpg (81 KB, 846x669) Image search: [Google]
1438574828784.jpg
81 KB, 846x669
>>44112342
You need to get a certain number of marks on the commlink using Brute Force or Hack on the Fly (depending on whether you need it fast or sneaky). Then you use Edit File to copy the info to your own commlink/deck.

It doesn't matter whether you are using AR or VR for this, it can be done in both. That choice pretty much only matter for Matrix initiative if you're going to fight against another hacker.
>>
File: matrix final boss.png (621 KB, 932x579) Image search: [Google]
matrix final boss.png
621 KB, 932x579
>>44112342
shit i forgot the file
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

>>44112365
>>44112382
alright thanks
>>
>>44112416
I hear this all the time, but the bioware seems so much more expensive compared to a super arm.
Was this from before 5e?
>>
>>44112465
Money is infinite. Essence is not.
>>
>>44112482
>Money is infinite

Son, if you have infinite money you have no business in the shadows.
>>
>>44112465
Because mechanically having one arm that's super strong and agile isn't very helpful. Depending on your GM you'll not be using its stats for alot of skills.
>>
>>44112465
Different gear for different uses.
>>
>>44112458
Looks like either a really big Black IC, or a grumpy AI.
>>
File: 1438983441634.jpg (109 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1438983441634.jpg
109 KB, 500x750
>>44112528
Even still, you get some bonus die from the averages, and if you only have one arm you should be looking into one-handed weapons to make the most of it.
>>
>>44112528
Skills you can use one armed: Pistols, Throwing Weapons (sometimes), Locksmithing, and Palming (sometimes).

Now keep in mind Muscle Replacement/Toner/Augmentation will give you a bonus to every other skill that uses Agi and Str.
>>
What are the pros and cons of playing a rigger? Also, do you ever have to fluff why your character would have 450000 nuyen during character creation? Also, as a rigger, how do I dfend my crap from hackers? How do I get back at hackers trying to hack my crap?
>>
>>44112510
It's exaggerated, but makes my point. I can buy a pimped out cyberarm... Or I can save my money, buy muscle toner, and get an even better benefit for my money while STILL using less essence. You're not gonna get more essence over time. You'll get more money.
>>
> Also, as a rigger, how do I defend my crap from hackers?
>How do I get back at hackers trying to hack my crap?

Use your drones to terminate them with extreme prejudice? Works just fine!
>>
File: resident_evil_laser_trap.gif (2 MB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
resident_evil_laser_trap.gif
2 MB, 300x167
>>44112416
Getting cyber limbs shouldn't always be a deliberate choice. I've had at least 1 character that got both his legs torn off below the knee by fluffing a check to dodge a laser grid security system (see pic related).
>>
>>44112632
Pros: You can effectively control drones. You can shoot alot of shit and are incredibly useful as suppression fire support.

Cons: Other than those two things every other archtype is better than you.
>>
>>44112692
>torn off
>laser
Damn nigga, that sounds awful.
>>
>>44112667
Again, different gear for different uses. The superarm is meant to give Nerd Boy with low Agi and Str a quick and cheap way to shoot/punch well enough to defend themselves in a scrap and keep focussing on their own skills.

Murder Squad's Love Machine indeed better get bioware since it boosts all his primary skills, and not just some combat ones he doesn't have like Nerd Boy
>>
>>44112458
Oh Hello there 404.
>>
>>44112451
Speaking of brute force and hack on the fly?

What programs, matrix stats, and skills are most important for either?
>>
>>44112781
Seriously, have you tried reading those actions' descriptions?
>>
>>44112737
Laser cut through 1 of the legs, and most of the way through the other. Crew took me to a cheap chop shop, which offered them a "buy 1, get 1 half price" discount, and they couldn't be bothered to wait for my other leg to heal before going on another run.
>>
>>44112136
I meant more along the lines of environment. Has everything gone to drek? Did they go the way of Madagascar?
>>
>>44112813
I have and I'm just making sure because lord knows there's hidden tricks and shit that might actually improve it one way or another. I've noticed game developers are horrendous at actually optimizing their own stuff even if it seems straight forward.
>>
>>44112698
On the other hand, it's damn easy to crossbreed a rigger with something else.

>>44112632
Fluff the resources it the same way as any other class; built up over years of illegal activity. You have a lot of gear stolen, saved, or scrounged, but your cash at hand is still mediocre.

Defend your stuff by getting an RCC with a high Firewall, get back at hackers by shooting them in the face before they finish punching through.
>>
>>44112632
>do you ever have to fluff why your character would have 450000 nuyen during character creation?
No. It represents the cumulative value of all your assets. With the $6000 priority, you start with assets up to $6000. Same with $450000. Nobody says you had to buy all the equipment, maybe you stole it all, inherited it, had it gifted to you, or maybe you recieved it instead of money as payment for a job. Fuck, maybe you just found it. It's your backstory.
>>
>>44112632
Invest in Black IC. Should spook most casual hackers off of your shit, and get it a nice firewall. Also slave your shit to only accept signals from your controller. Force them to go through your system or to spoof it.

I know a guy who worked with his technomancer to get those courier sprites to encrypt and decrypt data transmissions from his rigger truck to his drones and to not accept anything coming in that wasn't encrypted properly once the sprite was in his drones.
>>
>>44112632
I remember back in 3rd edition you could just explain away a shit ton of resources at character creation as being a subline in Dunkelzahn's will.
>>
>>44113093
I was in a campaign based almost entirely around that actually. All of us had endowments from Dunklezahn's will, but none of us had ever met him, and we had to figure out what was up because of some crazy shit going on. I think one of us even got one of the 4 coins of luck or something (at least it was a chinese coin, we didn't get far enough to confirm it) but it was ages ago and the campaign didn't go far.
>>
>>44112781
Electronic Warfare is deceptively useful, a good comparison would be the Perception skill. Speccing on it won't do you any good, but you'll want a few points anyways.

Software sucks a bit(when not a technomancer, only useful for Data Bombs), Hardware always finds it's uses (repairing your own broken d(r)eck or modding it, as examples). Cybercombat is a niche skill, works well if you're going full Attack anti-decker decker though.

Logic, Intuition, and Willpower are your good stats. Logic goes first, then you decide on the other two.

Programs are so cheap you might as well buy all of them. If you go Resources A, it's peanuts. Just switch them when they're relevant.
>>
>>44112952
Right, then let's take it step-by-step: for Matrix actions, the linked Matrix attribute serves as your limit, and you use the skill and your meatbag attribute linked to it as dicepool. (Cybercombat/Hacking in case of the two mentioned, combined with Logic.)

For programs, first thing you should always get is an Agent Program, that will do teamwork tests with you and/or do stuff for you in its own. Beyond that, those you need are the one(s) that modify the Matrix Attribute linked to your action. (E.g: Stealth, Exploit and/or Smoke and Mirrors for Hack on the Fly), but as >>44113186 said, programs are cheap enough that you can buy them all and run only those you want at any given moment. (The others can remain dormant in storage on your deck while not in use.)
>>
>>44112667
>You're not gonna get more essence over time.

Mortal bloodsack detected.
>>
>>44113309
And if I'm playing a technomancer? (I know that Decker is just flat out better in 5e, but it pays to know what the deal is with technomancers as well)
>>
>>44112667
Aren't there specific opperations and gene treatments specifically for resetting your essence and plugging up your essence holes?
>>
>>44113448
Revivafication. 20k a month, .1 essence a month.
Hasn't been ported to 5e yet.
>>
>>44113494
I coulda sworn there was something else... oh well.
>>
>>44113494
Leonization and other life-extension treatments DO cost essence in 5e, unlike in 4e where it doesn't cost essence but the fluff tells you just stops working after the third procedure or so.
>>
>>44113309

do agents have any use to riggers at all? I am just trying to figure out which "decking" stuff might actually be useful for a rigger.

Also, is it possible to take the addict trait and be addicted to biofeedback? Is that a bad idea? How nasty is bio feedback. I want to be a rigger that prefers being hot simmed into his devices and such.
>>
>>44113428
Matrix actions are identical for a Decker and a Technomancer. You have a built-in "deck" with Matrix attributes based on your meatbag ones.

On top of that, you can uses som special "resonance" actions and powers, but you suffer from a couple of (massive) drawbacks:
- No programs at all
- No reshuffling your "deck" attributes to better deal with a given situation
- No cold-sim VR, it's either (slow) AR or (fast but deadly) hot-sim VR
- No physical deck to serve as buffer between the big bad ICE and you: any Matrix damage your "deck" takes is actually your meatbag brain getting ravaged.
>>
>>44113520
>>44113494
It's in the cyberware book, Chrome Flesh, if you want the 5e version.
>>
58th for Gobbet
>>
>>44113545
>Do agents have any use to riggers at all?

An agent can Erase Marks on your gear, which is useful to slow down any hacking attempt. It can also use Matrix Perception to detect things on the Matrix for you.

On top of that it can serve as a "Matrix Spotter" for your drones, by using Hack on the Fly to get marks on something and then use Trace Icon to get said thing's physical location.
>>
which is more dangerous, hot simming as a rigger or decker? Or is hot simming not as dangerous as people think? Is it even worth it for those 2 bonus dice?
>>
>>44113428
Technomancers have a problem: Their build is a recipe. You must follow it as closely as possible, otherwise it might suck a lot. Deckers, flat out better than Technomancers? Debatable. But a Decker can branch out, specialize elsewhere, and "building them wrong" still gets you something playable.

>How to build:
Attributes A. 6 Resonance, 6 Willpower (7 if Dwarf), 5 logic, 4/5 Intuition. Your physical attributes are going to suck, there's no avoiding it, but play smart and it won't be important.
Specialize in Compiling, Registering, Software, Cracking and Electronic Warfare. Compiling and Registering are the most important, and a specialization on one or both (on Machine and Crack Sprites) will come in handy.
Get Focused Concentration 1, and take Puppeteer and Static Veil CFs. Resonance C and complete your RES with Special Attribute points. The last CF is up to you, Transcendent Grid would be my choice.

This nets you an overspecialized pet class hacker, but it doesn't tell you how to play.

>How to play:
Compile, compile, compile. WIth 5 logic, you have 5 slots. Two are Machine Sprites (Level 4/5), Two are Crack Sprites (Level 4/5), and the last one is a Fault Sprite (Level FUCK YOU, possibly 7. Edge may be required)
Register the Fault Sprite and call off the other sprites until needed, except one Machine Sprite. You're going to Thread Static Veil at Level 1 and sustain it on that Sprite, and keep it around using Diagnostics on you, basically forever. Static Veil will keep it from accruing Overwatch due to time, with the caveat that it will have to be on the public grid forever.
Different GMs may disagree, but in my table, Sprites can do Teamwork Tests, which allows a Technomancer to hack stuff. If this is not the case in yours, Crack Sprites will hack for you.
During a fight, You can use Machine Sprites with Diagnostics on your teammates (or keep sustaining it on you), and Crack Sprites to hack, all while you can keep shooting at the opposition. (cont.)
>>
>>44113761
It's not as dangerous as /srg/ makes it out to be, so long as you have decent stats to resist and you're not up against some nasty black ICE or a spider who really wants you dead.

It is risky to try if you expect stiff resistance, but for a lightning attack those bonus die are a godsend.
>>
>>44112667
Cyber has always been the option for power *now*. Gangers are described as super cybered for a reason. Those people don't make long term decisions.
>>
>>44113761
Hot-simming is dangerous because any biofeedback or dumpshock damage is physical damage instead of stun. It isn't that dangerous for riggers and deckers because the device they are jumped-in/they connect through will be destroyed before long before they can take enough damage to die (unless 1 BOD weakling with no willpower, and even then).

Technomancers, with no device that can be destroyed between them and the Matrix, die like bitches the moment they get link-locked.
>>
>>44113790
What Technomancers have over Deckers in the Matrix would be that they are functionally invisible. [Attack] and [Sleaze] actions reveal you on a success or a failure respectively, but [Resonance] actions never reveal you. Puppeteer can be downright overpowered because of this, and it makes Resonance Spike a little better than "outright useless". Try to take advantage of this, otherwise you won't live long.

Taking on Hosts is... possible. I advise against it, but it can be done, even out of chargen. The problem is, it's a micromanaging nightmare, and I don't have that particular recipe myself. Poke around on the internet and you'll find it. All I remember is that Crack Sprites are your friends.

They're underpowered, niche and overspecialized, but not unplayable. I just wish they worked as advertised (a matrix caster class) instead of only as a pet class.
>>
My DM is running the Astral Plane like Silent Hill. Should I be concerned?
>>
>>44113878
Do you project astrally often/at all?
>>
File: hastur.jpg (243 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
hastur.jpg
243 KB, 700x465
>>44113878
shit I never thought of doing something like that or running a horror-themed shadowrun campaign
>>
File: Technomancer.gif (3 MB, 441x250) Image search: [Google]
Technomancer.gif
3 MB, 441x250
>>44113859
>>44113867
Question: If you allow Technomancers to go cold-sim, is that the easiest and simplest houserule to make them appealing again?

I've seen people pass around entire remakes of technomancers, but I don't want to go that far.
>>
>>44113859
The dangerous part isn't the biofeedback attacks, the dangerous part is the dumpshock. If you've got some damage already, a botched resistance roll on dumpshock might straight kill you.

>The Damage Value for dumpshock is 6S if you’re in cold-sim and 6P if you’re in hot-sim. Dumpshock is biofeedback damage, so you resist it with Willpower + Firewall. As if that weren’t enough, you’re also disoriented and take a –2 dice pool modifier on all of your actions for (10 – Willpower) minutes. Remember that if you’re being dumped because your deck just got bricked, you don’t have a functional Firewall attribute any more, so only use your Willpower.
>>
>>44113902
We have an Adept with Astral Perception, but I don't think he can project.
>>
>>44113878
That seems actually like a valid interpretation of the astral.
Unless you're actively getting attacked by spirits, because as far as I know, this isn't Warhammer, so mages aren't uniquely tasty to the magical critters. Everyone has an aura.
>>
>>44113995
Instead, I'd make them resist all Biofeedback as if it was Fading, with Resonance+Willpower.

And there was something some anon did some months ago about giving Technos the ability to use cyberware without loosing Resonance but that comes closer to "remake" than "simple tweak".
>>
>>44114026
If that's the case, you're probably fine. The Astral Plane is big, there's definitely some scary corners but it shouldn't worry you overmuch.

Anything nasty that comes over meets you on your terms, and are treated like any other spirit.
>>
Can someone explain the riggers RCC to me.. is it like a deckers deck? What makes the RCC a good option? Some of them are fucking expensive.
>>
>>44114026
Then he'll be in for a scary ride whenever he tries assensing something, but he just has to close his "third eye" to be safe.

Only a tiny bit gently fucked.
>>
>>44114074
They're the only good thing Riggers have.

>Ability to share Autosofts slots (and Noise Reduction but slots are better)
>Ability to send one order to multiple drones
>Protects drones with a better Firewall rating

Without it, Riggers would be unplayable. You'd have to spend multiple actions, one for each drone, just on ordering them to do things, and they'd be extremely limited on their possibilities since they have like two autosoft slots each. Being anything else would be better in any given fight.
>>
>>44114074
They are like decks for Riggers yes. IIRC the reason you want one is so you can run software on them that applies to multiple drones of the same model, because RCCs have an inherently higher software capacity. Also they allow you to give commands to all of your drones at once instead of one after the other.
Basically you're fine starting out without an RCC if you only have one or two drones and a car.
>>
File: tara_geared_up_by_dirkloechel.jpg (109 KB, 731x1094) Image search: [Google]
tara_geared_up_by_dirkloechel.jpg
109 KB, 731x1094
>>44114074
Most important thing an RCC do is lets you give commands to multiple drones/vehicles at once. Also, they let you run more than one Autosoft a drone, which is necessary if you want drones to be good at things) Imperative if you want a drone swarm, not so for a wheelman (they should get a control rig).

Plus, they're far safer than using a commlink.
>>
>>44114153

hmm.. makes sense. Now, can you rig into your RCC? Also, because you can load up autosofts like that, should I be using all of the same kind of drone considering the pilot program for a car is different from a roto drone or something right?
>>
>>44114219
If you're Rigging, I think switching to another Drone that is connected on the RCC is a free action instead of a simple, but I don't remember.
>>
>>44114194

aren't wheelman riggers pretty useless besides getting to a job and leaving a job? and thats IF the job goes well.
>>
>>44114219
> Now, can you rig into your RCC?

You can use it as "remote" to jump into a vehicle/drone from a distance if you have an implanted control rig and the vehicle is equipped for it.
>>
>>44114219
Yes, using multiple same models lets you bundle the autosoft freeing up software slots, which makes all of them better than if you were using different drones.

You can't rig into the RCC, but using an RCC allows you to straight jump from one drone into another without delays.
>>
File: 1447801186036.jpg (410 KB, 425x1100) Image search: [Google]
1447801186036.jpg
410 KB, 425x1100
>>44114219
Generally you want to go with one or two types of drones on a given run. Programs can be swapped out, though.

By 'rig in' I assume you mean jack in, which you can with a standard datajack. You can also jump into a specific drone for that hands-on approach.
>>
>>44114250
don't worry she has backup acorncopters apparently
>>
What does a control rig even look like? Can someone tell it apart from a regular ol data jack?
>>
isn't there a drone in the book that is a walker but has blades for arms? Is it any good? I forget what its called. I think its made by ares. Do you think I could have those drones ride my motorcycles?

Basically, I want to be a rigger driving a ares road master with 2 of those melee drones equipped with a gun riding my motorcycles around to do drive bys for me.
>>
>>44114450
Not from the outside, I'd imagine; there's plenty of styles of jack, one cable looks much like another, and all the important hardware is tucked safely inside your skull.
>>
>>44114528

>safely

HAH!
>>
>>44114493
The Ares Duelist. It's either unusable or bad, depending on interpretation. Melee weapons like blades need a Strength score to derive their damage, and in 5e it never mentions if drones have Strength. In older editions, BOD=STR when it comes to drones, which would solve that issue, but their damage is too low, and they're (like every other drone) too frail and can't survive the front lines. You can probably make use of them to fake out the enemy that you have more warm bodies in your team than you actually do, but that's the extent of their usefulness.
>>
>>44114493
Duellist, core book. Doesn't have any hands, IIRC, only swords, which might make driving a tad difficult (though guns can be mounted). Besides which, drones aren't smart enough to drive motorcycles.

You could get an RCC and put a rigger interface on the cycles, command them separately.
>>
>>44114450
It's not a jack, it's a comlink style device.
>>
>>44114493
Why not attach a gun to your motorcycle and just pilot that around remotely?
>>
>>44114194

Oh, hi Triss. Long time no see.
>>
In a 5 person group, what is YOUR ideal composition? Should characters multi-role important things like a shaman healing and being a face at the same time?
>>
>>44114802
Nah, senpai

>The control rig implant connects to a lot of different areas of your brain. It uses your motor cortex, of course, along with parts of your cerebrum, brain stem, and the sensorium, with a few tendrils snaking around your pre-frontal and frontal cortices. It has a built-in sim module, so you can use it for DNI with other devices. It also comes with a universal data connector and about a meter of retractable cable (it’s like getting a free datajack).
>>
What augmentation and gear does a full decker/rigger in 4e need?
>>
>>44115295
We're talking about a RCC you dipshit.
>>
So, as long as we are talking about Riggers, I have a question that never got answered on the main boards. If I was taking a character who was majoring in hacking and minoring in rigging, how would I set up that PAN?

What happens when you have a deck and a RRC? what gets slaved to what?
>>
>>44115838
Best stats on top, everything else below.
>>
File: 1449807031967.jpg (143 KB, 646x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449807031967.jpg
143 KB, 646x1024
Does chummer 5 support 4e?
>>
>>44116065
What? No. Get regular Chummer for that.
>>
>>44115664
Start from here.
>>44114450
>>
>>44112416
They are still miles better than your greasy meat body, chummer.
>>
What have you done recently to stick it to your local draconic overlord, chummers?
>>
File: vauclair.png (163 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
vauclair.png
163 KB, 500x285
>>44117130
vauclair, please
you're embarassing yourself
>>
>>44117130
From a game a few years ago
>Pirating in the Pacific Islands
>Get our shit kicked in by Renraku security and go on the run
>Our ship gets blown up and we're left in our "escape boat"
>Stumble onto a privately owned island with a mansion
>Put down island security
>Find out the island is Lofwyr summer retreat
>Spend a month eating all his food and booze
>Steal his private yacht to replace our pirate ship
>Burn the whole place down to hide our passing
>Our shaman ensures the whole place will go toxic within a few days after we leave to further cover our tracks

We loved that boat, covered it in all the home made corrugated sheet steel armor and mounted guns we could find.
>>
so, I'm working on a distinctive style.

He wears the hotdog mascott outfit for work because that's his job. He also wears it for runs because it's his 'disguise'.

But why does he wear it at home? Help me fill in for this one.
>>
>>44117545
Because he gets off on it.
>>
>>44117335
Great work omae. Lowfyr is particularly repugnant. I'm not sure where the meme that Dragons aren't that bad came from.
>>
File: cyclones28n-3-web.jpg (120 KB, 970x1211) Image search: [Google]
cyclones28n-3-web.jpg
120 KB, 970x1211
>>44117545

Here's a few ideas:

It's not by choice. The zipper's stuck. And he can't tear the costume off because then he'd lose his job.

It's actually super comfortable.

He legitimately enjoys his job and has grown so accustomed to being a mascot that he actively dislikes not wearing it. (He also has the Faceless Quality from Hard Targets, because he acts super nervous when he isn't dressed like a hot dog.)
>>
File: Lofwryn trolling runners.jpg (181 KB, 498x483) Image search: [Google]
Lofwryn trolling runners.jpg
181 KB, 498x483
>>44117623
>>
>>44117623

It comes from a sense of respect for the wealth creators and entrepreneurs, naturally.
>>
>>44117545
>>44117661
Please opt for the "stuck zipper" idea
>>
>>44117993
Dragons don't create wealth. They take it, and sit on it. Companies and knowledge are no different from gold coins to them. Take Lofwyr for example.

"In 2032, Michel Beloit died under unknown circumstances. Many believe that the Great Western Dragon Lofwyr was behind Beloit's death, but it has never been proven. Regardless, Beloit's dutiful wife Willhelmina Graff-Beloit, assumed control of BMW after her husband's death and proved quite adept at the running of the company. Despite the opposition, her five year reign as CEO was quite successful. During her tenure, Lofwyr was working behind the scenes through shell companies and proxies to continue purchasing up all the available stock he could lay his claws on.

According to eyewitnesses, on one fateful day in 2037 Lofwyr entered into the boardroom in his metahuman form, announced that he owned 63% of S-K. Then promptly shifted into dragon form and asked the board if anyone had any questions. He then proceeded to vote himself President and CEO, and kicked Graff-Beloit off of the board."
>>
>>44118190

Wealth isn't zero sum, lol. Take a basic econ class.
>>
>>44118250

For humans it's not. You're thinking like a human. Any wealth creation for everyone below them on the pyramid is purely coincidental, because they can't get away with plundering anymore. If it were an option, do you think a dragon would willingly part with one red cent of their horde? Hell no.
>>
>>44118331

The fact that the market ensures it isn't an option is one of the reasons capitalism is an efficient system. Who cares about motive? Dragons are naturally suited to leadership positions, therefore they wind up in leadership positions. The market works. You're just jealous of the successful as usual.
>>
>>44118360
Go back to your SK arcology drone.
>>
>>44118360

Runners should care about motive, making a moral choice is what separates metahumanity from animals. Someone being supernaturally capable of dicking over a significant portion of the population is not a reason to venerate them. Capitalism certainly does work, but do you really want a immortal lizards running everything? If the glorious neo-anarchist paradise is going to be achieved, it's going to require leaders which are capable of being succeeded by other leaders with a continually evolving philosophy. Dragons don't change, dragons do not evolve. They just horde, and horde, and horde.
>>
>>44118465

Aww, can't tough it out in a real argument. Actually, it really is fascinating how the existence of dragons kills the Horatio Alger myth. A person might one day become a CEO through hard work, but they'll never become a dragon. Therefore, if dragons are naturally superior (which they are), there's a hard limitation on human potential. So the problem really comes down to entitlement and an all-or-nothing attitude on your part. You can't settle for being really good at something, so you take it out on those who are the best.
>>
>>44118499

Honestly, dragons provide my life with a great deal of meaning. Hell yes I want them running everything. And core values don't change, but approach does, and you can still always vote with your feet if you don't like living under the dominion of one or the other.
>>
>>44118579
That's the issue. Do you think dragons are going to stop and be satisfied before expansion means coming into conflict with another dragon? Do you think they'll even stop then? How many lives are going to be lost as they throw pawns at each other? It's only a matter of time
>>
>>44118636

No different from any other conflict or war. Unfortunate, but necessary for growth. There's the marketplace of ideas and there's the hard test of force against force. All things in moderation. When's the last time dragons have started a world war?
>>
>>44118541
Dragons take, that's all they can do, it's all they know. There might be some good ones out there like the Big D (who I voted for). But look what happened, the rest of them banded together and killed him to get at his hoard.

As soon as people realize the crab bucket that dragons have put us in we're going to band together and tear them down. And it's people like you who are going to be first up against the wall when that day comes.
>>
>>44118701

Dunkelzahn died for our sins. And I'm satisfied with who I've chosen as allies. Your secular eschatology doesn't frighten me, I've found the truth.
>>
Focused Concentration, alchemy and sustaining foci, what are you preferences?
>>
>>44118680
Force really is the crux of the matter. The ideal society is one that gets along without having to use it, yes? It's a utopian ideal, to be true. I don't think it'll be achieved any time soon in the SR universe. It'll probably only become a possibility as meta-humanity evolves. That being said, that evolution is being accelerated by technology, so who can say? With dragons around, it's not even on the table.

>>44118701
This is another problem. The Big D is an interesting case study, because it proves just how intelligent dragons are. Why do you think he was Loremaster, and other dragons paid him homage? Because he was the first dragon in the sixth world to figure out that during this era, the way forward to power and wealth isn't through wholesale slaughter, it's by winning hearts and minds. What better path to making sure you don't have a target on your back? Like everything else dragons do, it was a tactic. A path to expanding his horde.
>>
https://youtu.be/4oeFBGFzcrg

datajacks when
>>
>>44118841

"War essential. It is vain rhapsodizing and sentimentality to continue to expect much (even more, to expect a very great deal) from mankind, once it has learned not to wage war. For the time being, we know of no other means to imbue exhausted peoples. as strongly and surely as every great war does, with that raw energy of the battleground, that deep impersonal hatred, that murderous coldbloodedness with a good conscience, that communal, organized ardor in destroying the enemy, that proud indifference to great losses, to one’s own existence and to that of one’s friends, that muted, earthquakelike convulsion of the soul."
>>
>>44118745
>allies
>dragons
Someones been drinking the Soy-Aid. You're there property now omae. If you're luck you'll drone along pulling levers and pushing buttons and eventually they'll throw you some scraps. Then your children will take your place as slaves and they'll pull those same levers and push those same buttons for those same scraps.

And if you're unlucky they'll sacrifice you in one of their myriad games of power for literally no gain.
>>
>>44118898
I will be so pissed if I die before I can jack in to a computer.
>>
>>44118906

I should count myself so lucky. Alas, I didn't mean dragons.
>>
>>44118938
you can jack into anything if you try hard enough... they got openings for your "hot stream of data"
>>
>>44118901
If you're arguing that war is a good thing, then I can see why you would support draconic rule omae. I'm not saying your position is invalid, just that it's pessimistic. Dragons are thinking in the long term, and so should your runner. Complacency is the death of a better future.
>>
>>44118942
Let me guess they're going to "unlock your inner abilities."
>>
Big Saeletra reveal when?
>>
>>44118983

Give me meaningful pain over meaningless pleasure any day Serving a dragon is like serving a nation, only one that lives and breathes, that appreciates and enjoys. If God's existence could justify any pain, then immortals who ACTUALLY EXIST should be said to do the same.
>>
>>44118991

Laugh all you want, chummer. I'm awakened now, and Dragon laughs with me.
>>
any time frame on the rigger book?
>>
>>44119103
Soonâ„¢
>>
>>44119132
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o

when will then be now
>>
>>44111684
>we burned _whoever_ really badly
>how do you stop killteams
For one, if your shadowrun universe is one where punitive measures are taken on shadowrunners, then ask your GM how ANYONE are shadowrunners, or if shadowrunners only do one run before being liquidated, and if you should bring 20 sheets to the next sessions so you have backup characters.

For two, remember (and remind your GM) that if your team has no allegiance, then unless you stole something from Evo that they can recover (data that you haven't passed on, prototypes that you are using in combat, etc) then Evo will just be losing money by hitting you.

If you have made it a goal of fucking over Evo and Evo alone, then yes they'll deploy killteams to toast your ass. If it's just business and you can be hired by Evo, then Evo will just be wasting money when whoever hired you to fuck over Evo will just hire some other team to fuck them over again.

If you personally ruined someone's life, he will only have so much of a departmental budget to fuck you up - if he spends too much, he'll lose his job. Be sure to tell his manager how much he's wasting in black budget on killing you guys, that could be used to steal data from other corps.

Remember; it's all about the bottom line. If it's not profitable to go after shadowrunners, they shouldn't go after you. If it IS profitable to go after shadowrunners, then shadowrunners would be extinct as a profession.
>>
>>44119340
addenum:
if you manage to tick off a CEO personally, like Damien Knight, or Loffie, the above doesn't apply, because he can if he so chooses dedicate 0.1% of his annual profit margins into wiping you and every contact you have off the face of the planet and no-one's going to stop him.

Don't make it personal, if you can.
>>
i wonder if starbucks became a soykaf megacorp at some point
>>
>>44120723
There's canonically a place called Soybucks, which probably isn't Starbucks purely for possible litigation reasons with the company.
>>
>>44120902
what a time to be alive
>>
>>44120917
Personally I look forward to being a citizen of the Albhabet megacorp
>>
>>44120723
I know it's a cyberpunk staple, but why soy? Did coffee suddenly become awakened and start killing people? Did the spirit of Jaun Valdez and his murderous donkey arise from the suffering of the underpaid coffee farm workers and destroy all who approached?
>>
>>44121695
if we're to take Atug's coffee shop from Dragonfall as a reference, he says coffee is extremely rare and expensive nowadays because the coffee plantations were reduced greatly by pollution, he's able to make you a turkish coffee with his limited supply but he charges you 10 times the price of a soykaf for it

so it's not completely gone but it became an expensive commodity
>>
So... what kind of Encounters should a Runner team encounter in a -12 background count brought forth by the despair and death brought forth by a blood magic ritual causing thorns to erupt from the skin of every elf from Seattle to Portland?
>>
>>44122240
Shadow the Hedgehog
>>
>>44122259
You saying i'm running my game edgy?

I took the whole thorn thing from Earthdawn.

Shit happened in the Bloodwood
>>
>>44122289
Okay, but 'thorns erupting from the flesh of every elf' is kind of edgy regardless of where it comes from, champ.
>>
>>44122289
>Saying something's from Earthdawn like that's a good thing
Uh huh
>>
>>44121695

Efficiency and versatility.

Soybeans allow you to produce the most amount of protein for any given area of agriculturally viable land. Soybeans can be used to make meat analogues, as a replacement to wheat / corn flour, they are highly nutritious (high in protein, fat, folic acid, Vitamin C, Thiamin B1), they will happily grow in human waste, the oil from soybeans has a host of industrial applications, they're efficient nitrogen fixers, they are one of the major biotech foods (Soybean was the first legume to have it's genome sequenced in full).
>>
For a universe that offers so many options it sure disencourages deviating from core characters

You can practically become an android!! - But it costs part of your life force and it's a short-term thing lol
You can be more than just base races, there's tons of subspecies!! But they're rare and limited to certain areas ayy
You can control a ROBOT! but riggers are noob traps kek
You can be a VAMPIRE!! But it's suspicious and most countries have a price on your head lmao
You can be AN UNDYING CREATURE THAT FEASTS ON FLESH AND HAS INCREASED STRENGTHS AND RESILIENCE, BUT YOU'RE BLIND AND LOSE YOUR MAGICAL POWERS, THIS IS ALREADY BALANCED IN ITSELF - but it's contagious and you might want to cover up and not turn your team into zombies lul
>>
>>44123021
>Power should be free, i dont like paying for this
>WAAAAAAAH

Lets break these down, shall we?
it would be cyborg. i think. android would be closer to an AI taking over a near-to-human drone.
You know any orks in real life? anyone with non-surgical pointed ears? Already being kind of exotic. the expanded races are mostly just for flavor and where a similar parallel exists in an area already.
Be creative. but yes, rigger5 when?
A vampire is partly romanticized because its an unholy abomination of the night. This is not a good thing.
Ghoul is the same thing. not to mention the "can only eat meta flesh"

Cry some more.
>>
>>44123179
i'm not crying, i'm just pointing out that the game indirectly punishes you for being anytihng other than a basic metahuman mage, streetsam or decker
>>
>>44123476
TBQH you should be punished IMHO.
>>
>>44119340
>>44119419
We may or may not have made it personal... but not for the full CEO, but one of the regional managers... the guy who was running their North American Operations in particular. We may or may not have fucked up on initially covering our tracks, and found out some stuff that was personally incriminating, and then our idiot of a decker decided to sell that data when it was only possible that we were the ones who could have it.

Trust me, this is a case where somebody being after us in particular is justified.
>>
File: spittake.gif (756 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
spittake.gif
756 KB, 250x200
>>44123476

You live in an entire world full of interesting, non-magical humans. If you can't make one yourself, you sure as shit can't make an interesting Naga.
>>
>>44123476
>>44124023
>I will use these races and concepts as a marketing device to attract people who want to play them
>And then penalize them for it!
>Muahahaha
>>
>>44124232
>A system will market """traditional""" fantasy races to attract a user base, and include a list of niche-er ones for people who care
>I will misrepresent them in my whining on the internet
>Mwahahahahahah
>>
File: 1391325405195.jpg (359 KB, 1800x1260) Image search: [Google]
1391325405195.jpg
359 KB, 1800x1260
>>44112082

Shadows of Asia has it. Basically, conflict zones. It's set up as 'Nam II: Electric Boogaloo. I did a lot of reading about the Laotian Secret War as part of a Hmong studies curriculum in undergrad, so I actually ended up fleshing it out for a war campaign I ran at one point. The kicker is I ran it for Canadians when I was an expat (American), and they had no clue about some of the historic echoes; like, the offensive during Tet took them by surprise.
>>
>>44123021

Since when do you lose your magical powers? I was under the impression you only lost technomancer abilities.
>>
>>44124013
>We may or may not have made it personal... but not for the full CEO, but one of the regional managers... the guy who was running their North American Operations in particular. We may or may not have fucked up on initially covering our tracks, and found out some stuff that was personally incriminating, and then our idiot of a decker decided to sell that data when it was only possible that we were the ones who could have it.

>personally incriminating data
Is it information that would be harmful to Evo?

If so, sell the data to evo at a really cheap price, and point out that the data's already known, and this guy has fucked up bad, and is going to ruin their public image, and they should probably get rid of him for being so damn persistent.

If it's personal, ruin that person, and ruin them in a way their corp will not help them.

Remove his allies and his funding, and he won't be able to harm you as easily. He'll need to sort his own life out instead of coming after you; and even if he DOES come after you, you can end him and there won't be more corp repercussions.
>>
>>44125405
Hush, let the autists sperg.
>>
>>44111418
Well shit

The pastebin is gone
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-13+at+01.03.23).png (369 KB, 1920x1011) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-13+at+01.03.23).png
369 KB, 1920x1011
>>44126574
What? No it's not. Did you miss a letter or something?
>>
File: It's Time.jpg (33 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
It's Time.jpg
33 KB, 500x375
>>44115664
>someone asks what a control rig is like, and how it can be told apart from a datajack
>someone says that a control rig is nothing like a datajack, but is instead a commlink
>Someone points out what a control rig actually is
>You jump in talking about RCCs (which still aren't like commlinks, they're like decks)

Whew
>>
File: What You Say.jpg (151 KB, 655x1024) Image search: [Google]
What You Say.jpg
151 KB, 655x1024
>>44123021
>Android!!
How is it short-term? Unless you go full cyberzombie (i.e. you do something insanely expensive and dangerous, something that puts you directly under the control of a megacorp) you can walk around with a meastsuit full of augs for your entire life.

>Subspecies!
You do know people can move, right? Yes, rare things are rare. If somehow being one of 5 races isn't enough, you can be a bunch of subraces of other metasapients so long as you justify why you are in this campaign, same as literally any other game. Heck, if I was running a game about real crooks in Chicago, and someone wanted to play a Tibetan, I'd make him justify it.

>Riggers!
Aren't noob traps, no more than any other class. SR demands a certain level of system mastery, which I don't like but accept

>Ghouls and Vampires!
Yeah, the monsters are disliked in the fiction. Same as how you can't play a drow in D&Dland and expect everyone to be cool with you at the bar. If you don't want to play a monster, don't play a fucking monster.

>>44124232
You're not being penalized unduly. I think someone made a special snowflake then broke down into tears and fled the table when the GM didn't bend over backwards to accommodate them. You can use literally all of those things if your campaign works with those idea, that doesn't mean that all games have to play by Pathfinder kitchen sink rules.
>>
What are the extents of teleportation-focused spells machinery, and magic machinery?
Does it require a complicated, bulky setup in a specific environment, or can you mount a gateway on the back of a van?
>>
Let's say you were a biomedical researcher of some kind given access to a SINless tempo addict suffering from severe depression. The PC pawned this individual (her gang leader's girlfriend) off at a facility and is trying to find a way to cover the costs. It's her loyalty to the leader, who's absent due to conscription at the moment, that keeps her from just shooting the girlfriend. Anyways, like, what kind of "experimental treatment" might someone offer in a deal for that kind of individual? A cyberware or bioware serotonin regulation technique? Something Awakened? Or maybe I'm totally missing something. Trying to figure out something cool I can do here that isn't totally a fuck you to the player, but still is shady.
>>
>>44127382
Closest thing to ever be hinted at is cross-metaplane travel. You open up a door to a metaplane, then on your destination you open another one, and have the metaplane-side doors be almost touching. Now you can move from one side of the earth to the other quickly, but it requires a very long setup of getting mages, scouting suitable metaplanes, doing it again on your destination, and then it's trial and error until the doors are acceptably close to each other. Even a 2-meter stroll through an unknown metaplane can be dangerous. The process would be long, and costly, even for corps.

Boston Lockdown has the fluff on it, but it's just that, fluff and hints.

Aside from this, teleportation is one of the system's no-no's. No teleporting, magic or not.
>>
>people in this thread think free market capitalism is a good system and the vast majority of people actually benefit from it

inb4 someone posts that cyberpunk is dead image again
>>
>>44127556

What page is this all on? I'm not sure I'm getting it. I thought you could only go through metaplanes astrally? Are we talking about moving a meat body somewhere?
>>
>>44127940
Lockdown Pg. 56
>>
>>44127940
You can only go to the metaplanes astrally in the rules. 'Doctor Dyna Might' says that he can move people physically (and demonstrated something that looked like that), but he was cagey with details about how it works, and then the Lockdown happened and he got trapped inside with his research.

My money's on it turning out to be a big con.
>>
Has anyone read Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets? Is it good?
>>
>>44127631
What's the alternative omae? It's a means to an end really. The technological tipping point, sort of speak.
>>
>>44128270

Yes. It's enjoyable, but pretty old.
>>
Is it possible to play as a biofeed back addict?

Also, What are skills like chemistry and biomedical and what not used for? I read the skill descriptions but it doesn't say how the player can use them.
>>
>>44128435
>It's enjoyable
Thanks, that's all I wanted to know! I don't feel the need to keep up with the latest developments anyway.

>>44128325
Free market capitalism is destroying the earth as we speak mi amigo.
>>
>>44128477
You can be addicted to Essence Drain as both the victim and perpetrator, I don't see why not. There's no rules on getting addicted to it, it doesn't have an Addiction Threshold, so it would be homebrew all the way, though, and I can't guarantee a GM putting in the extra work to make it from scratch. I'd put my eggs in a different basket.
>>
File: 1444852348280.jpg (84 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
1444852348280.jpg
84 KB, 395x600
>>44128477
>What are skills like chemistry and biomedical and what not used for?

Chemistry and biomedicine and whatnot.

Use chemistry to create bombs and poisons, to fuck with production lines when your run calls for you to delay a product by a month, etc.

Biotech helps you understand bioware so you know how valuable that extra paydata you took from Evo is, and can give some pointers on repairing damaged bioware using whatever chemicals and medical supplies you have on hand.

A lot of the Technical Skills are best used as someone's job, but if you're creative you can spin a deep understanding of X into something useful.
>>
>>44128477
>chemistry
Custom drugs.
>>
>>44128491
But it's not though. The government subsidizes a handful of corps that have become "too big to fail", because if they did the jobless would blame the administration, and not reelect them. This works in the short term, but has disasterous long term consequences. Which has led to the situation to which you are referring. But, I digress, this here is an SR thread.
>>
Opinions on the Shadowruns videogames? Someone gifted me the Hong Kong expansion but the first few minutes didn't hook me.
>>
>>44128726
I don't think Too Big To Fail banks have much to do with the environmental catastrophe we're living through. It's extractivism ,productivism and the system's focus of growth which are killing the earth. All of which were shared by stalinism's version of communism. And are also core components of free market capitalism. Politics is weird.

>>44128731
Pretty bad.
>>
>>44128731
they're really good imo
i found returns to be wanting, dragonfall to be really engaging, and hong kong to have a slow start and full of bugs but one of the best stories i've seen in vidya in a while
>>
>>44128788
Best story...? I'll grant you that the companions were pretty good and some of the runs were interesting but to me, the overall plot wasn't anything to write home about. What did you like about it?
>>
>>44128731
You probably wanna give it more than a few minutes to catch your interest. That said Hong Kong's the best, Dragonfall's a close second and Returns was meh. If hong Kong doesn't float your boat you probably won't like any
>>
>>44128731

Dragonfall is the best: Best story, best companion quests. Hong Kong has the best mechanics and is a close second to Dragonfall. Returns is just kind of boring and vanilla but solid enough.
>>
>>44128731
Dragonfall DC has the best overall story.

Hong-Kong has a better overall gameplay (while the A.I. is sometimes extremely dumb, there is a lot more synergy between different characters and melee is actually a good option).

DMS is the very first game, and it shows, but it's still nice to go through. Don' try to get rid of Harlequin. You can't.
>>
>>44128731
Honk Kong is good, but there's no Technomancers and you HAVE to roll a mage to have one in the party
>>
>>44128985

Well it's set in the 50's, where they don't exist yet. There aren't drakes either.
>>
Thank you all for your detailed responses! It's making me want to try it again. Are the games chronological, should I start with Returns?
>>
>>44129034

They don't build on each other, but they do subtly reference each other. If you play them in order you get tiny easter eggs.
>>
File: 1424396405809.png (85 KB, 300x287) Image search: [Google]
1424396405809.png
85 KB, 300x287
>>44129031
You lyin 2 me?
>>
>>44129061
Basically this.

You can skip Returns without having to feel guilty though, really. I mean, it's not terrible but don't force yourself to finish it just to make sure you'll get every possible reference in the follow-ups.
>>
>>44129079
Technomancers only appeared after Crash 2.0 (a couple of years after Hong Kong)

Before that, you had Otakus, but they still needed a Datajack and an ASIST translation module to do shit.
>>
>>44129079
Technomancers don't exist until the second crash. Only Otaku.
>>
>>44129061
>>44129100
Okay thanks!

Which archetypes did you have fun with?
Any good mods I should be aware of?
>>
>>44129034
Technically, but they're in entirely different places.
>>
>>44129120
>>44129120
The rule I use for DF and HK is:
Play through the game until you get all of the companions. Pick which companion you hate the most (Is0bel) then reroll and play that archetype (like decker). Now you never have to carry them around because you need that role.
>>
>>44129120
Depends on the one you're playing. Pure unarmed is kinda useless in my opinion, melee's meh in Dragonfalls but pretty powerful in Hong Kong.

Generally speaking, though? Don't worry too much about having the perfect build. The games get pretty easy once you get past the very beginning and it's totally possible to spread out and play weird stuff like a shaman/decker or some-such.
>>
>>44129120
Decker, with skill in Int/Decking until you can grab the Fairlight deck, and all the rest in Agi/Ranged Combat/Assault Rifles is a murder machine that will dominate any of the three games.

In Hong Kong, troll street sam with 15 STR, and a focus on cybernetics using Spurs is the ultimate (if utterly unsubtle) killing machine.
>>
>>44129167
Why do you hate Is0bel? I thought she was whiny but cute. A character who prefers the Matrix over real life is relatable to me. Also she has a grenade launcher!
>>
>>44129167
Why does everyone hate Is0bel? I thought she was a cute nerd.
>>
>>44129284
>>44129310

Is0bel doesn't fawn over the main character, is suspicious, cold and has anger management issues.
You're not supposed to like her.
Some people hate her because she's black. Well, "people".
>>
>>44129120
Glory can't hit for shit but she's a good tank.
Assault Rifles are OP in everything.
Int/decking/biotech/cha/security open the most doors but it's boring as shit in combat.
>>
>>44129354
I liked Crafty Wu the magic shop girl, and the sexy vampire accountant. Was disappointed there were no romance options.
>>
>>44129428
Meh...

Kindly Cheng > the rest.
>>
>>44129310
She's not hated by everybody. She's just reasonably well-written instead of yet another generic stereotypical waifu designed to pander to the aspie crowd.

(You can totally dislike her for more legitimate reasons but that's the main reason for the overwhelming majority of people who are vocal about the whole thing. Basically - what >>44129354 said.)
>>
>>44128835
I guess the word I was looking for was WRITING rather than story
the basic story is pretty simple and somewhat cliche but it was shoveled in a pretty good way and the dialogues where pretty good
>>
>>44129310
Character-wise, she's an escapist that is too afraid to deal with her problems and has others do it for her instead.

gameplay-wise, she's bad in combat and bad at decking, so yeah... (To be fair, Blitz and Dodger were both terrible at both as well in the other games.)
>>
>>44129583
But...grenade launcher! It doesn't even need to hit
>>
>>44129480
Oh okay I definitely agree with that. Good writing and good atmosphere. I liked Kowloon Walled City and the fucked-up worldviews some of the companions had, like Gobbet Gaichu and Racter.
>>
>>44129480
Yeah, the story and characters in Hong Kong were just well written. I liked how opinionated if somewhat annoying the cast was.

Also, it felt like a proper intro to Shadowrun. The others just sort of assumed you were familiar with the universe, but Hong Kong actually bothered to build up on what kind of clusterfuck of a life drives a person into shadowrunning.

Soundtrack was better too.
>>
>>44129583
this >>44129665

her main combat usage was the AoE armor strip that came by default with her mini-grenade launcher

i didn't even hire blitz because his portrait was ugly
>>
Are still doing the bonus mini-campaign?
>>
>>44129784
Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of Duncan/Gaichu/Koshei ripping through the opposition way faster than that autistic dwarf ever could.

The only mission where she possibly has some use (beside the one where you're forced to have her tag along) is the Whistleblower one, both on the boat's second deck (if you raised the alarm) and against the Tir elf and Seoulpa losers when you tell both to fuck off. And even then, you can easily do without her grenade launcher that hits the scenery and teammates more than the intended target.
>>
File: izzy.jpg (134 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
izzy.jpg
134 KB, 1024x576
>>44129862
Yeah but she has sexy lips.
>>
>>44129667
Gobbet wasn't really fucked up IMO, just a ghetto kid. Well, I guess that does tend to make you kinda fucked up, but she's definitely nowhere near the same league as Gaichu or Racter.
>>
>>44129913
she'd be total waifu material if she wasn't a cunt
>>
>>44129924
Maybe fucked-up was a strong word. They just had value-systems that matched their life experience for the most part, which was cool. I thought the writing sometimes dropped the ball and made the characters' reaction too much like ours, like during the serial killer mission. I really liked when they were allowed to be bleak or somewhat crazy.
>>
>>44129924
Her philosophy wasn't too screwy but her actions reveal her as a crazy person
>>
>>44129354
>suspicious, cold and has anger management issues
I thought it was cool that she was playing hard-to-get friendship-wise. I would have liked more warmth and gratitude from her after I did her companion mission and saved her shitty ghetto but oh well. I guess it's true to her unlikeable character.
>>44129970
Such as?
>>
What is the goal of your runner, /srg/? Do you fight for yourself? For others? For a philosophy, or specific goal?
>>
>>44129913

She's a cat killer son, you don't want to touch that shit, that's a step above a bunny boiler.
>>
>>44130024
>She's a cat killer son
She says it wasn't her though and she's going to investigate it. I believe her. Don't you?
>>
>>44129862
I didn't use Gaichu too much really, my top team was Duncan/Rachter/Gobbet for the perfect combination of might, mech and magic. Gobbet was surprisingly good with her smg to boot. Rachter couldn't hit fuckall with his pistol but that wasn't the point of taking him, but Koshei, especially after getting that laser, was unstoppable.
>>
>>44130006
]She's overly impulsive, she blew up a building just because she thought it'd get her out of shit, handed over a magic device to someone in her team when she had no idea what it would do[/spoiler
>>
What is the point of street samurai if adepts just shit all over them in terms of usefulness? Also, do most street samurai use the same ware? I feel like everyone wants muscle toner and strengthener and what not. As well as synaptic booster and shit.
>>
>>44130023
My infiltrator troll want to become renown as the worlds greatest cat burglar.

My shitbag trust fund kid face wants to piss off his parents and have some kicks.
>>
>>44130070
>if adepts just shit all over them in terms of usefulness?

Show me the adept power that lets you shoot a grappling hook out of your dick, or have more armor than an Ares Citymaster.
>>
>>44130006
>hey, the cops are coming after my crew botched a job
>I know, I'll burn down the whole apartment complex!
>My crew burned alive, but hey, at least I got cookies and dated a firefighter
>>
>>44130051
>>44130129

Lets be honest now anon, blowing up a building to get out of trouble is pretty standard shadowrun shit. The rest of her team was just stupid for standing around and fighting when the building was burning around them.
>>
>>44130039

Honestly?

Not sure.

If it wasn't for me passing the skill checks in that mission, I probably would have had to kill some security guards, and for what? So I could beat up a guy who she held an irrational grudge against because she has an inferiority complex?

She lied to you about the job in the first place, and the entire thing was over some petty bullshit. You really think she wouldn't ice some cat in the heat of the moment?
>>
>>44130051

Gobbet lacks foresight.
Is0bel lacks hindsight. Literally.
>>
>>44130076
Most people aren't awakened. Getting muscle enhancements and synaptic boosters are the only way (besides drugs) for a mundane guy on the streets to become more than metahuman.

>>44130103
Also this. Augmentations can do stuff that adept powers can't. Street Samurai are also much better at building huge soak pools.
>>
>>44130154
I'm still not even sure what that mission was about
>>
>>44130103
Except you can totally chrome up an adept as well while retaining the big benefits of playing an adept. Or go all the way and make a burnout mysad - at worst, you might be slightly less effective than a chromed adept, but you'll easily catch up and then some maybe 20 karma down the road. If at all.

(Different anon btw.)
>>
>>44130190

Exactly my point.
>>
>>44130190
It was about getting her memories back and beating up a guy she had a fallout with.
>>
>>44130196
Adepts with ware are the problem with the Adept/Street Samurai balancing act. Adepts without ware have disadvantages compared to Sams. Adepts with ware cover those disadvantages for minimal loses and get the best of both archetypes.
>>
>>44130233
Yeah, but I'm not really clear on why I was supposed to beat the guy up. He seemed pretty willing to give her back her shit.
>>
>>44130277
Petty revenge.
>>
>>44130070
As for your ware question - yeah, attribute boosts and initiative are gonna be numbers one or two on your priority list for the majority of combat builds. Usually (but not always) in that order. Make sure to check out drugs as well - beyond your character's fluffy inclinations, there's really no reason to purchase the absolute top-tier initiative boosters if you can get a full five dice with a mid-range booster and drugs (you'll free up a lot of money and essence to spend on other stuff). Or make an adept/mysad and get a magical initiative boost which is even more effective (background counts will sting a little, but if you've got everything else covered you should still wind up with a net gain).
>>
>>44130277
Did you see your char's reply: "You're like two teenagers bickering... Bar that, you ARE two teenagers bickering!"

It's kinda like that!
>>
Is the chrome mightier than the magic?

If a street samurai and a physical adept got into a tussel.. who would fuck who up?

Also, any time frame on the rigger book? I am so fucking TIRED of waiting to actually make a good rigger.
>>
>>44130380

Just ask the GM to let you use the 4th edition Rigger book.
>>
>>44130380
At same levels of optimization, Chrome is better than Adept right out of the box, but Essence is finite where Karma isn't, hence the Adept will catch up quickly and pass ahead.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.