[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a name for this genre? One where people live in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: nausica.jpg (1 MB, 3093x1654) Image search: [Google]
nausica.jpg
1 MB, 3093x1654
Is there a name for this genre? One where people live in the skies, the ground is full of dangerous mist and horrible bugs, and flying machines are everywhere?

I'd like to run a game in a setting like this, but the only examples I can find ANYWHERE are nausica, hammerfight, and crystal chronicles. Any help, /tg/?
>>
Dune was probably the biggest influence on Nausicaa.

You got your wasteland world, competing byzantine power structures, giant worm creatures, lots of flying machines, medieval social structures, and both settings even have a blue-themed worm jesus that fights with a blade.

There's no dangerous mists in dune, but there is a global storm that makes a route across the planet.

No one lives in the sky in Dune, but no one did in Nausicaa either.

In terms of genre you might want to check out Planetary Romance for swordsmen on hostile alien worlds with medieval power structures. Or the doomed earth genre for "after the end" stuff where technology and magic work side by side.

I hope that helps a little OP.
>>
>>44124054
How did Dune manage to inspire so much greatness while being a terrible pile of shit?
>>
>>44123818
Stormhawks might be another example that springs to mind, although the horrible bugs are replaced by volcanic dinosaurs.

I'm not sure if it has a specific genre though. Skypunk?
>>
File: Edg Edge and Edgy.jpg (266 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Edg Edge and Edgy.jpg
266 KB, 1024x768
>>44124077
Nice b8 m8te
>>
>>44124077
Anon, don't. Please.

Dune picked up the "large scale sci-fi setting" from Asimov's Foundation and ran with it until Star Trek and Star Wars made it big.

Even if you don't like it for whatever reason it deserves a degree of respect for its ambition and creativity.
>>
I call it "weird future", kind of like Numenera and Michael Moorcocks's Hawkmoon series.
>>
>>44123818

You should play Baiten Kaitos and it's prequel. One of the more underrated RPGs ever made and on the GCN no less. You also have Skies of Arcadia if you wanted.
>>
>>44124129
To dip my brow a little lower, Thundarr the Barbarian would also fit this genre.

>>44123818
There was a certain cartoon series called Dragon Flyz (no, seriously) from the nineties about the last remnants of humanity living in a flying city above a wasteland filled with mutants that wanted them dead.

I...had the toys.
>>
>>44124164
Exactly. Plenty of 80's "future barbarian" settings fit this idea. Point is it's not about the sky dwellers, it's about the future being wild and savage and strange as fuck.
>>
>>44124101
While I agree that Stormhawks is another example of the genre, I don't think we should just blindly affix the term "punk" to it. It's hardly punk at all.
>>
>>44124077
Let's just assume you've only seen the movies
>>
>>44124229
Zeppelin fic, then?(You rarely see any such setting without one.)
Pilot fantasy?(Everyone important in such a setting is going to have their own flying thing, after all.)
Atmospheric opera? (Like space opera, but in atmo.)
>>
>>44124077
People like George Lucas read Dune and said "wow, there are some good ideas in this turd, and I bet I could do this better."

And then they did.
>>
>>44124164
My nigga. I had a few of the toys, and made paper dolls I drew of the evil chick for presumably creepy reasons (too young to recall, but I was a creepy kid)
>>
>>44123818
The Jetsons. They don't go into what's on the ground, but I'm sure it's toxic waste and horrible mutants.
>>
File: The.Hidden.Fortress.1958.jpg (796 KB, 1920x804) Image search: [Google]
The.Hidden.Fortress.1958.jpg
796 KB, 1920x804
>>44124404
George lucas simply watched the hidden fortress and then copied everything good about it, but was such a hack it still had to be saved in editing. He even wanted the same protagonist, toshiro mifune, to play the same role he did in the hidden fortress, obi wan kenobi.

Star wars is a successful toy brand. That's it. He is no akira kurosawa.
>>
>>44124077
Because LSD was popular back then, so of course a book about taking drugs and getting super powers would sell well.
>>
>>44124101
wouldn't it make more sense to just file it under "good things that were inspired by dune"
>>
>>44123818
post apocalypse.
in the manga there is a war and more airships.
>>
>>44124622
>George lucas simply watched the hidden fortress and then copied everything good about it

What I've heard of the initial drafts was quite close to The Hidden Fortress, the final result far less so.
>>
>>44124345
Yeah, the books are so much better. And the new language I learned reading them helped land me a job at an insane asylum.
>>
>>44123818
Edge Chronicles
>>
>>44124788
there is also psychic powers
>>
Here's a Kickstarter RPG I back that vaguely fits the theme you're asking about.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itsneverdarkenough/shattered-a-dark-steampunk-tabletop-rpg/
I'm kind of excited for it.
>>
>>44123818
Skypunk.
>>
>>44123818
Moebiusworld is probably the closest term.
>>
It used to be called Fantasy, back when Fantasy was still fantastic.
>>
File: feel.jpg (57 KB, 179x428) Image search: [Google]
feel.jpg
57 KB, 179x428
>>44126147
You're absolutely right.
>>
>>44123818
Your problem is that you're making it too narrow. Sky islands are a common enough aesthetic, but with horrible bugs and mist on the ground specifically?
>>
>>44123818
I want to play an Americana 50s game set in the American Midwest with roaming herds of giant monsters and freelance mech pilots working for the government tracking herd movement and behavior. Very "Route 66" Asthetic eating at diners, sleeping at motels and getting your mech repaired at the Texaco gas station & garage.
All mech systems I have seen are either super scifi or obtuse. Should I just look for a rules light system like FATE?
>>
>>44124839

The final result apes the story almost completely. Watch the movie. The bad guy is anakin, who is friends with obi-wan. Anakin falls, but then redeems himself in the end. The Hidden Fortress is the story lucas wanted to tell, but was too incompetent to pull off as kurosawa had.

It's on the piratebay. check it out. You won't believe how similar it is, even down to the music.
>>
>>44126371
Savage Worlds might be a good fit for you.
>>
>>44126385
>Watch the movie.

I have.
>>
>>44124138
Misspelling aside, Baten Kaitos is a great example. Haven't played the prequel but I heard it was mediocre compared to the first.

Skies of Arcadia was also excellent though I can't remember if that had the poisoned earth thing going on or not
>>
>see this thread
>desire to know more intensifies
Just so you know, I am bookmarking almost everything namedropped here.

How the fuck do I play gamecube games in this era.
>>
>>44126470
Get a gamecube or use an emulator.
>>
>>44126492
Or a Wii
>>
>>44124054
You missed the biggest similarities

Worm Handlers/Forest People = Fremen
Ohmu = Shai-Hulud (obviously)

The [Forest People] are the only ones who can survive in the deadly area of [The Sea of Corruption].
The [Forest People] are working in secret to 'heal' the land with the aid of the [Ohmu], creating a paradise in secret. They won't get to see the finished project, just that it will happen in the future.
>>
>>44124622
And yet, they have barely anything in common.

Of course, Lucas is just the idea guy. If you fail to reign him in you get shit like the Prequels.
>>
>>44126147
>>44126166
...Man, you are 100 right. You just bummed my day.

>>44127994
I find it interesting that Miyazaki more or less played the messiah aspect of book straight. David Lynch did the same thing in his movie. They both sort of glossed over that Paul being a Chosen One wasn't a good thing.

Also, in the Nausicaa manga especially, Nausicaa is extremely anti-technology. She even has her god-monster blow up the surviving scientists of the old world to prevent them from corrupting the new with their science. It's easy to see shades of the Butlerian Jihad in that, although Herbert portrayed the Butlerian Jihad with disturbing undertones. A lot of people forget that before Dune Foundation was the big sci-fi world everyone knew about where robots help humans reach for the stars and form a Galactic Empire that's much, much more humane than Herbert's empire. I can't help but see in the light of Foundation Herbert making a statement on anti-technology sentiments that gets lost on readers like Miyazaki that presumably take the Jihad at face value.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>44128224
I quite like fiction with an environmental message sometimes, but it does have a tendency to get anti-science real fast.

Now that I think about it, that's a problem outside of fiction too, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.
>>
>>44123818
Stempunk
>>
File: aloqe.png (124 KB, 918x331) Image search: [Google]
aloqe.png
124 KB, 918x331
>>44126147
This is less a genre than a setting choice within a genre. A rather obscure RPG lends part of its name to my own shorthand for tis type of setting. That RPG featured floating islands in the sky, though the ground was still available and important. Pic Related.
>>
>>44128785
Different SF authors have their own biases, of course, but for *some* an anti-science presentation is part of that story, not a generally held belief.
An older example may be Anne McCaffery's loose set of novels centered around Sassinak, Planet Pirates, and Dinosaur Planet. The POV characters are products of a deeply processed civilization and the idea of eating unprocessed food, especially meat, sickens them. I don't recall ever hearing outside of those stories that she was a screaming vegan, though.
>>
>>44129498
Oh, sure. It's not like all writers of dystopian fiction are fans of Stalin or anything.

It's just that the genre tends to lean that way. Leading to a certain loss of subtlety.
>>
>>44129746
Michael Crichton was known for being cautionary with his SF, but he wasn't anti-science. Some of the modern-day Luddites that take his caution and add a triple dose of fear and anti-science loathing, on the other hand...
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.