[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
homebrew magic system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1426653612313.jpg (399 KB, 1259x900) Image search: [Google]
1426653612313.jpg
399 KB, 1259x900
i need some help coming up with some mutations/deviations for the magical disciplines that a magic is divided into. the mage will get a mutation from the discipline that the spell he miscast falls under.

the 5 disciplines
>fleshshaping
healing, metamorphosis, necromancy, augmentation, weakening etc.

>elemental
any magic based on the 4 classical elements; earth, air, fire, and water.
>protean sorcery
magic that can shape and transmute non-living things (includes thins that are now dead).
>evocations
anti-magic/meta-magic, non-elemental effects, and summoning/control of supernatural beings.
>mesmerism
mind control, illusions,psychosomatic effects, brain enhancing magic and telepathy.
>>
>>44099884
some of the mutations i have so far are
>fleshshaping
crippling deformation, deformations, alien fratures, animal features, weakening of the body, premature ageing
>elemental
suseptability to an element, deformation related to an element
>protean sorcery
deformation involving non-living matter integrated into flesh
>evocations
supernatural mutations, spiritual damage
>mesmerism
insanity, retardation
>>
Seems like a fine enough list, but if you use Evocation as non-elemental effects its going to confuse people since Evocation was the original school of magic where fireballs and lightning bolts come from.

I like it at least because it doesn't force players into using elemental magic, since I'm not a big fan of that.
>>
>>44099884
If my understanding of your concept is correct, then you need some sort of passive variable that can be manipulated by what level the spell is cast at.

For example:
Mutation index:
>1-5
Healing spell Levels:
>1-10

Cleric John Smith casts Light Healing at Level 2, of which the spell has a Mutation Index of 1. He fucks up. The Mutation Index is multiplied by the Spell Level and gets a mutation of Grade 1

Mutation Grades:
>Grade 1 = 1-10
>Grade 2 = 11-20
>Grade 3 = 21-30
>Grade 4 = 31-40
>Grade 5 = 41+

Then its just up to the DM to describe what sort of mutation happens. This could be from a generic list or heavily specialize based on the situation. Keep it flexible. In this case Cleric John Smith might get a small patch of skin blight on his arm.

More extreme examples
>Necromancer Jane Doe casts Wither. She fucks up. Wither has a MI of 4 but she cast it at Level 6. That gives us 24 and thus, a Grade 3 Mutation. At this point Jane doubles over screaming as her entire arm, bone and all, instantly liquefacts and sloughs off into a puddle of putrescence.

>Bard Tommy Lee attempts to cast Mass Telepathy to scour the city for any signs of the cult. He fucks up. Mass Telepathy has a MI of 3 but he had to beef up and cast it at Level 12 in order to get the whole city. That gives us 36 and a Grade 4 mutation. His mind forms a sort of psychic stoma and now their is a constant stream of bits of thoughts leaking from him all the time.
>>
>>44100065
I chose evocation for the dictionary definition not the D&D definition.
I'm glad you think I have enough but I would like a few more just to even out the other disciplines.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>>
>>44100190
No I already have that worked out I just need the effects of messing up a spell.
>>
>>44100007
Perhaps:
Mesmerism
Synesthesia, numbness, blindness/partial blindness, deafness, etc.

Mesmerism seems to be focused towards affecting perception as well as the mind. All of the other ones seem to have effects that can be lived with, dealt with, or adjusted to but mesmerism just going straight for insanity or retardation seems a bit extreme.

What exactly do you have in mind for evocation's "supernatural mutations"?
>>
>>44100412
Thank you those look like some good ones.
>but mesmerism just going straight for insanity or retardation seems a bit extreme.
My list needs to be rounded out more but I couldn't think of any others.
>What exactly do you have in mind for evocation's "supernatural mutations"?
My homebrew I'm working on is fairly sandbox. It has a monster generation section that has various features the mage can get
>>
>>44099884
I was doing basically this in my setting and I used the metamorphica for inspiration. Have you looked into that?
>>
>>44101602
Am now.
Thanks
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.