[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost Island Quest 9
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7
File: Circle of Mages.jpg (89 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Circle of Mages.jpg
89 KB, 900x600
Welcome to The Lost Island Quest. Last thread our hero, Alan Rodain, had the would-be assassins interrogated and discovered that a rival healer by the name of Harnost had orchestrated the attempt on Calloway's life. Alan and his companions talked their way into meeting Harnost before killing him and subduing his guards. Alan learned that Harnost's lover, Deliria, may hold a grudge and try to get revenge on him and his friends. Another complication in the aftermath of killing Harnost was Dolah's stark disapproval of taking the law into his own hands, a plan she was sure was Gabby's fault. Afterwards, Alan decided it was time to join the Circle of Mages with Eve and Quissonce. He now stands before its doors.

http://pastebin.com/3LPDLd9u
http://pastebin.com/W5vqnRBU
>>
You walk up the marble staircase towards the door to the Circle of Mages. The door is rather mundane, with common iron fittings and what looks to be a regular lock. In front of the door, off to the side on the landing is a small, bookish looking man with thick reading glasses sitting in a kiosk. He wears a long black robe and is hunched over, poring over a thick tome. He mouths the words silently to himself, guiding his finger across the words as he reads. He only notices the three of you when you're standing right in front of him. He looks up and after recognizing Quissonce and Eve, makes an 'ah' sound as he dives into some compartment behind his desk and pulls out an even bigger book, which he flips to a new, fresh page. He pulls out an ink pot and a quill.

“I see you've brought yourselves a friend. Alright, name.” You clear your throat quickly and respond.

“Alan Rodain.” He scribbles your name on the first line.

“Yes, and do you possess the necessary fee to gain entrance to the Circle?” You hand him a bag of 100 platinum pieces. Thankfully there was banker able to do a currency transaction of that magnitude in Seaside. You still are forced to wait a good, few minutes as he carefully counts out your money. Once he writes in his book that you've paid the fee he looks back to you. “Alright. What are you?” Um.

“Human.” He squints at you, trying to see if you're joking with him. “Um, male?”

“No. No. Are you a sorcerer or a wizard?” Uhhhhhhhhh. He looks at you oddly. “Summoner?” What? “Magus?” Mage-us? “Please tell me you aren't an alchemist.”

>Wizard
>Sorcerer
>Mage-us
>I got no clue buddy
>Ask the others for help
>>
>>44095345
>I got no clue buddy
i just got some weird shit i can do
>>
>>44095345
>I got no clue buddy
>Because I can apparently pick up almost any skill, and magic appears to be included
>>
>>44095345
>I got no clue buddy
>I do everything.

Alan has no Con boost. The most vital of stats is abandoned? For shame! Learn from a fighter or Barbarian already!
>>
Writing!

My internet just died and then was resurrected.
>>
“I have no idea what those words mean.” He frowns

“Well, is your magic something you learned or does it come from an innate source inside yourself?”

“ . . . Yes.” Now he looks like he's sure you're being an asshole. Eve comes to your rescue.

“My apprentice is a no-book like me!” He looks even more exasperated by her.

“I've told you before. It's called sorcerer.” Quissonce walks over with her arms folded.

“Why?” The man looks at her and then seems to think rather hard before responding defensively.

“Because it needs to be called something. There has to be a distinction. Wizard and sorcerer were the words decided upon.” Eve nods her head.

“I agree there needs to be a distinction. Which is why it should be called book or no-book. Shorter words and there's logic to it. The fuck's a wizard and why does it need to use a book to cast magic. A book mage is like, duh, obviously a book mage needs a book.” You see him start to get red in the face.

“The word book mage sounds . . . no. This conversation is over. You're a sorcerer. I'll need a quick demonstration of your power.” You make one of the gold coins float out of the bag. “Ah, mage hand. Basic spell. Well then. You're in. You are officially an acolyte of the Circle. Your room is . . .” he quickly flips to a previous page and writes your name in “on the 4th floor in the 2nd quadrant, Room 7.” He pulls out a set of keys from behind the desk and hands it to you. Seems to be one for the front door, one for your room and one for some other door.

>Head inside to your room
>Wait for Eve and Quissonce
>Head inside and explore
>Ask the man some questions (write-in)
>>
>>44095798
>ask a question
"Are there any sorcerers who also try to train themselves as wizards?"
>>
>>44095798
>>
Writing!
>>
>>44095798
I think Alan is also a wizard, he just needs to read a book, so I'm seconding
>>44095880
if it's not too late.
>>
You decide to wait for your companions to go through their process of being initiated before heading inside. Eve and Quissonce go through the process faster than you did, but the counting of another 200 platinum pieces does make it drag on for a bit longer than you would have liked. A question is sort of burning in your mind.

“Hey, are there any sorcerers who also try to train themselves as wizards?” The bookish man laughs a bit.

“I'm sure some have tried, but wizardry requires at least a modicum of intelligence.” Eve looks offended. And if you're a sorcerer, than you're offended too! You decide to ignore it.

“So, what are your rooms?” They hold up their keys. Quissonce answers.

“We're both in Room 8 on the fourth floor.” So that puts them right next to you. You put in your key and open the door to the Circle. It seems to be a very grand place. It is primarily composed of a wide hallway that curves around what you assume is a central pillar.

You, Eve and Quissonce start strolling through looking around the place. There are statues and bookshelves, quiet study areas and places for students to eat, write and chat. There are painting of battles, beautiful women and ferocious beasts. Tapestries extend across the backs of walls. There are multiple rooms shooting off the main hallway that contain training areas, equipment and animals.

You finally spot the staircase and you all head up to the fourth floor to get situated in your rooms before anything else. The second floor seems to be more like the first, but the third and fourth floor seem to be nothing but private rooms. As you traverse the fourth floor hallway, you notice it is much more bare and there's barely any activity going on up here. You pass one person quietly reading and that's it.
>>
You make it to the seventh and eighth room in the second quadrant and watch as Eve and Quissonce enter their room. You open up your own and find it to be rather simple. It contains two chest of drawers, two desks, a plethora of quills, scrolls and writing paper. There is some food on a central table underneath a chandelier. There are also two beds, situated on opposite sides of the room. There is another door in the wall to your right.

Sitting in the desk farthest from the door is a male half-orc wearing a large coat and a pair of small spectacles, reading out of a book. You look at the bed nearest to him and notice it looks more lived in than the other. On one of the desks is an ink pot surrounded by numerous scribbled on papers. Seems like you have a roommate.

>Introduce yourself
>Examine the other door
>Go explore
>Start settling your stuff in
>>
>>44096447
>Introduce yourself
>Ask our roommate about the other door
Be polite.
>>
>>44096447
>>Introduce yourself
Manners! Then
Then
>Examine the other door
go to the toilet
>>
>>44096447
>Introduce yourself
>>
File: Circle Interior.jpg (498 KB, 1914x859) Image search: [Google]
Circle Interior.jpg
498 KB, 1914x859
Forgot picture of Circle Interior.
>>
Writing!
>>
The polite thing to do would be to introduce yourself first. He seems engrossed in his book and didn't hear you open the door. You close the door a little loudly so that he looks up at you. After the initial moment of confusion his face lights up in understanding.

“OH. Hello there. You must be that roommate I told was coming eventually.” He gets up out of his chair and strides over to you, shaking your hand with genuine pleasantness. “My name's Ed.”

“Alan. I assume that side's yours then?” he turns around to look at his lived in part of the room. A shirt of his is lying on the ground. He quickly walks over and picks it up, stuffing it under his bed.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I've had the room to myself for about a month now. I've grown a bit sloppy. But I promise I'm not one of those weirdo roommates that keeps bat guano on the kitchen table like some of the horror stories I'm sure you've heard.” He gives a hearty laugh as that. You move over to your side of the room and start placing your stuff around. You put your long sword next to your desk and put your uniform and the outfit Renault purchased for you in your chest of drawers. You set your hide armor down near your bed. “So, you were a soldier then?”

You look over at Ed. He's sitting on his bed, trying not to be awkward. “Yeah, cavalryman stationed in the Muller Mountains. Were you?” He rubs the back of his head.
>>
“Eh, I wanted to join up, but my parents talked me out of it. Said there was a lot of, um, eh not important.” He waves off what he was about to say, but you have an idea of how he was going to finish that sentence. Lot of orcs on the imperial side. Made a lot of human and elven troops more hostile to orcs in general.

“So, Ed. What's that door over there lead to? The toilet?” You point to the door in the right side of the wall which Ed glances at.

“Oh, no. Bathroom is communal for this whole side of the floor, it's down the hall. That door just leads to a similar door in the adjacent room. These rooms can connect if both sides choose to unlock their doors. But, that room's been empty for months.”

Uh oh. Not anymore. As if on cue you hear the quick rapping of knuckles, the noise emanating from a point much lower point on the door than a usual knock.

“Hey Alan!” you hear Eve's muffled squeak-shout as she knocks a couple more times on the door. Ed looks up at you.

>Unleash her
>Don't open it
>>
File: Ed.jpg (35 KB, 270x330) Image search: [Google]
Ed.jpg
35 KB, 270x330
Ed.
>>
>>44097004
>Don't open it
Not until Quissonce can keep her on a leash.
>>
Writing!
>>
You put a finger up to your lips as the knocking increases in intensity. Ed remains silent throughout.

“Hey ALAN! Can you hear me? We can connect –” THWACK! “Hey! What was that for?” You hear Quissonce through the door.

“Maybe he's changing? Give the man some privacy.” You hear Eve mutter and then the footsteps of the two of them walking away from your door. Once the coast is clear you motion that it's clear to speak again.

“Those, uh, friends of yours?”

“Yeah. Co-workers.” Ed brightens up at that.

“Oh. What job do you have?”

“Adventurer-explorer thing. I bring stuff back from the Island to Seaside.” He makes an 'ooh' sound.

“That's some dangerous work. You must be a powerful . . .” he quickly scans your equipment and notices you own armor and a sword. “magus?” Mage-us? The hell is that.

“I'm a sorcerer. A novice one who only knows one spell. But I'm also a bit of a special case.”

“Well, I'm a wizard. Transmutation focus. I'm still an acolyte of the Circle.”

>Transmutation?
>Mage-us?
>acolyte?
>Ask something else (write-in)
>Explore the Circle
>Explore with Ed
>Explore with Eve and Quissonce
>Open the door between your rooms
>>
>>44097333
>Transmutation?
>>Mage-us?

Then
>Open the connecting door

Then
>Explore with Ed
>Explore with Eve and Quissonce
Go as a group.
>>
>>44097333
>Transmutation?
Do you have a book or something that explains the basic terms?
>>
>>44097333
>Transmutation?
>Mage-us?
>acolyte?
>>
Writing!
>>
“Okay, what's a mage-us?”

“A magus? It's a spellcaster who specializes in combining martial proficiency with magical prowess. Most of us really don't know how to fight well and armor has a tendency to, well, let's just say that casting lightning bolt while wearing full plate has a tendency to go horribly wrong. It takes dedicated effort to combine the two. There are maybe 1 or 2 fledgling magi that haven't gotten very far in their research here at the Circle. I thought, since you wear armor you might be a magus.”

“Alright. Now what's a transmutation?”

“It's a school of magic. Focused on altering the properties of a person, place or object to the caster's desire.” Alright, this is a lot of things you have no clue about.

“Is there some sort of book or pamphlet that explains all the basic terms for stuff?” Ed laughs a bit.

“Hah, you clearly don't know much about this place. The more this information gets disseminated the less the casters at the top can act superior to everyone. I swear they make up shit at random some times just to make it more awkward and esoteric to learn things. In the library you should be able to find a book that details all the schools of magic and whatnot. Although, if you're a sorcerer that shouldn't be as important to you.”

>Go to the library
>Explore the Circle

AND

>Bring Eve and Quissonce
>Bring Ed
>Bring all of them
>>
>>44097754
>Explore the Circle
>Bring all of them
>>
>>44095318
>another thread already
Cool.
>>
>>44097754
>>Explore the Circle
>Bring all of them
>>
>Explore the Circle
>Bring Ed
>>
>>44096423
>“I'm sure some have tried, but wizardry requires at least a modicum of intelligence.
Wizards eternally butthurt that they don't have the talent for magic that sorcerers have.
>>
Writing!
>>
Betsy
Relationship Lvl: 2 "Understands Justice"
Looks like the guard found out what we did yesterday.
>>
“Hey Ed, you mind showing me around the place some.” He gets up off of his bed.

“Sure, I'd be happy to. God, I wish somebody had had the decency to show me around the place. Fair bit of warning. People who spend their lives learning magic have a tendency to neglect learning their social graces.” He goes and puts on his coat and the two of you exit the room.

You walk over to Eve and Quissonce's door and knock. Quissonce answers it and looks from you to Ed and then back to you.

“Ed. Quissonce. Quissonce. Ed. He's my roommate and he's going to show us around the place.” She nods and gives a thumbs up before closing the door again to go grab Eve. He gives you a sideways glance. You've seen this one before.

>Hands up, indicating indifference
>Thumbs up, indicating he should go for it
>One hand up, back off Tiger
>Be dense about this
>>
>>44098076
wait what are they doing?
>>
>>44098076
>>Be dense about this
Eh nandatte?
>>
>>44098076
>>
>>44098076
>>Hands up, indicating indifference
>>
File: explain.jpg (21 KB, 310x232) Image search: [Google]
explain.jpg
21 KB, 310x232
>>44098076
>>Be dense about this
>>
>>44098076

>>
Writing!

Or at least, that's what I would say. Unfortunately, I need to drive my wheelchair-bound father to his tabletop game soon. This is a delay that I hope tg of all place will understand and sympathize with. Break will most likely end in a little less than an hour.
>>
>>44098328
No problem man
>>
>>44098328
I will only understand if he is playing with a good system.
>>
>>44098328
>>44098392
Exactly. Only 3.5 edition is acceptable.
>>
>>44098328
What's he playing?

BTW, is our longsword still the one we took from the tavern when the first attack happened? If yes, we should return it or at least pay for it. Even though the bartender was okay with us taking it in an emergency, it still feels like it was only lended.
>>
You put your hands up while shrugging your shoulders. You're not her brother, her boyfriend or her dad. Ed quickly straightens out his jacket and makes sure his pants aren't bunched up anywhere. He dusts himself off and then quickly runs his fingers through his hair. He adjusts his glasses before deciding to take them off and shove them in his pocket. He stands with the best posture he can muster, his chest puffing out a bit. You silently laugh to yourself.

“Stereotype.” You whisper to him.

“Proud Cultural Heritage.” He whispers back before chuckling himself.

The two of you are composed by the time that Eve and Quissonce open the door. Summoning all the charm he can he introduces himself to your companions like a gracious host before leading your merry band of multi-racial casters on a tour. He first guides you up to the fifth and sixth floors. The fifth floor is much like the third and fourth floors, being merely a floor of private rooms for you all to sleep. The sixth floor is similar, but is meant for more senior members of the Circle and as such grants them single rooms with much more space for accommodations.

The seventh and eighth floors are magically locked and off-limits to acolytes. The seventh is where the Arch-Mage sleeps and the eighth is where the Circle keeps the most dangerous magical artifacts it possesses or is being funded to study by Blackburn.

He brings you down back to the fourth floor and showcases where the bathrooms are. He explains that food, lodgings, refreshments, books, parchment, paper and familiars are all taken care of by The Circle. And that supply is good for one year. Every year, to continue to earn the benefits of being a member of the Circle one must either pay another 1000 gold or demonstrate how they've contributed to the magical community or the Circle to warrant their continued membership. They don't pay for stabling your horse though, so you'll have to continue paying the upkeep for that by yourself. (1/2)
>>
Um, still on break sort of. Probably another half hour until I can post again.
>>
Sorry about all that. 6 o clock traffic in California when its raining is an absolute shit show. Writing!
>>
He skips the third floor, explaining that it is much like the fourth floor and there is nothing interesting about it.

On the second floor he says is where most of the basic perks of being a member of the Circle are kept. It has a large library, most of the tomes being ones written by the first three casters that were brought to the Island. Some of the books there however are translated texts found on the Island. The second floor also has the scroll shop where any mage who wants to may buy a one-use item that can cast a spell even if the caster purchasing it can not pull the spell off on their own.

The first floor has a room known as the summoning room. This provides a place for summoners to test out the extent of their abilities in a safe, controlled space. It also allows for the practicing of spells requiring more than one caster. There is also a room where a bunch of animals are stored, where fledgling wizards can search for a familiar to call their own.

Ed also shows you a variety of oddities he particularly enjoys. He shows you that the red pillows with the zigzag pattern are the comfiest. He points out an alcove that most students tend to not notice so it makes for a good place to read in quiet.

He finally reaches the entrance to the tower and concludes the tour. Alright. What do you want to do?

>Check out the animals, maybe find a familiar
>Go to the library
>Go to the scroll shop
>Go to the summoning room
>Go outside, do something else
>>
>>44100056
>>Check out the animals, maybe find a familiar
>>
>>44100056
>>Go to the library
>>
>>44100056
>Go to the library
Time to show these assholes why we got sent to the island.
>>
>>44100056
>Check out the animals, maybe find a familiar
>>
>>44100056
>>Go to the library
>>
Writing!
>>
>>44100056
>>Check out the animals, maybe find a familiar
>>
File: Circle Interior 2.jpg (144 KB, 926x520) Image search: [Google]
Circle Interior 2.jpg
144 KB, 926x520
You are itching to check a book out from that libarary and so is Quissonce. Your group heads up to the second floor and you enter one of the biggest rooms you've ever set foot in. Wall-to-wall bookshelves filled with tomes. Three or four sliding ladders provide access to books all the way at the top near the ceiling. A few students are lazing about, reading in the library.

Quissonce is shaking as her feet explode into movement. She rushes to one section and pulls a few books out at random. Eve is much less impressed and casually goes over to glance at a few of the books before taking one out, flipping through it for a few seconds and then placing it back.

You have no idea what books are where. You just walk over to a random section of shelf and pull out a book. 1001 Spell Reagants by Azdor. Well, that's useless for you. You check out another one . The Art of Enhancing Botany with Magic by Essentia Nells. I mean, it may have some interesting information, but you've never been big on gardening. You turn to Ed.

“Hey Ed.” He looks over to you. He's currently holding six or seven books that Quissonce seems to have deemed worthy of taking back to her room. “How are these things ordered?” He laughs.

“They aren't.” That seems detrimental to finding what you need. He laughs as he sees your confusion. “Don't worry. I'll help you find a couple that might be useful.” He places the books down on a nearby table and heads towards one of the ladders, climbing up it until he reaches one of the top shelves. He then climbs down and hands it to you before leaving in search of another in another section of the library. He comes back with two more tomes.
>>
The Eight Schools of Arcane Magic by Azdor
The Power of Blood by Flid Havrang
The Ethics of Spellcasting by Essentia Nells

Hmmm, two of the same three names. “These should get you started. As a sorcerer, you're gonna want to focus on the middle one there. Eve, you should read this as well.” He picks it up and waves it at her. She scoffs.

Ed goes back to helping Quissonce carry her books. The pile has gone from seven to fifteen. You see Ed hesitate at the task before you notice him pull out his spellbook, read it for a few seconds and then quickly cast a spell on himself that seems to make his muscles bulge. He then picks up the stack of books with ease.

>Take these books back to your room to start reading
>Go check out the collection of animals
>>
>>44100670
>>Go check out the collection of animals
We can read later
>>
>>44100670
>Take these books back to your room to start reading
>>
Rolled 36 (1d64)

Roll me 1d64? Is that a thing you can do?
>>
Rolled 6 (1d64)

>>44100831
Strange choice of number to roll
>>
Rolled 55 (1d64)

>>44100831
Are we reading books?
>>
File: reading.jpg (57 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
reading.jpg
57 KB, 550x550
>>44100927
Nope. We are strong independent sorcerers who don't need no books.
>>
If nobody else wants to roll, I guess I can use my own. I will take one more roll of the 1d64, but for right now I am writing!
>>
Rolled 33 (1d64)

>>44101006
>>
>>44100949
>not learning how to be a wizard, as well
>not making everyone at the academy shit themselves at the fact that Alan is doing everything
>not having a familiar for every magical class he is capable of being
>>
You head down to the first floor and go to the animal room. Having a familiar sounds cool. Although, you don't know what a familiar is. Quissonce comes with you and you ask her about it.

“Oh, a familiar is an animal whose soul is linked with the caster by ways of the magical connection between the two of them. Stories say that if a wizard's familiar saw you, the wizard could see you.”

You enter the animal room which is being tended by a rather bored-looking elf. She looks up at the two of you as you enter before going back to the magazine she seems to be reading. The animals aren't too loud, despite how many of them are in this room. You search through the aisles of cages looking in at the various creatures that make up the Circle's stock of potentially magically-attuned animals.

You aren't sure what you're looking for. You look at a particularly mangy looking black cat who swipes at you as you come by. I guess that's not your familiar. You walk by an unmoving turtle and look at it. It looks back at you. You really aren't feeling a connection. You think you may not be a wizard after all as most of these animals just seem like regular animals to you as you stride through.

Until you see the penguin. It seems to be very enthusiastic about seeing you. It waddles up to the edge of it's cage to “wah” at you. You stick your hand in and ruffle its feathers a bit. It seems to like you. So there's one potential familiar. Or just a cool pet.

You keep looking however. You find a rooster that seems to crow whenever you come by, strutting in a very confident manner as if it is trying to attract your attention and prove it is the coolest animal here.

You find a flying squirrel that chitters at you and glides at you from its position on a perch near the back of its cage.

And then there's that snow white owl that mimics your head movement exactly, hanging upside down in its birdcage.

>Take the penguin
>Take the rooster
>Take the flying squirrel
>Take the owl
>>
>>44101342
>>Take the owl
or
>Take the penguin
Those two seem the most useful.
>>
>>44101342
>Take the flying squirrel

Fast, can glide, get into small spaces, has hands.
>>
>>44101342
>>Take the flying squirrel
>>
Writing!
>>
>>44101342
>Take the owl
>>
File: Flying Squirrel.jpg (54 KB, 500x437) Image search: [Google]
Flying Squirrel.jpg
54 KB, 500x437
You decide you'll take the flying squirrel. The other animals look like they'd take a lot of effort to feed and look after, especially if you have to take it out with you into the field. The flying squirrel will require the least amount of effort in care while also providing a lot of advantages. You pick up its cage and take it over to the elf watching the counter. She logs that you're taking the flying squirrel and then hands you what she calls a “familiar satchel” meant to properly hold smaller familiars. You take it and place your flying squirrel in it.

Quissonce herself has decided to take the snow white owl you were looking at earlier. She seems to also enjoy its tendency to cock its head mimicking Quissonce's head movements.

The two of you take your new pets and go back upstairs to the fourth floor. Quissonce goes back to her room, where Ed has already deposited her books. And you walk into your own, seeing Ed has gone back to reading that book he was perusing earlier. You place your flying squirrel down on your own desk.

>Read one of the three books you took (specify)
>Ask Ed to teach you about something related to wizardry
>Ask Quissonce to teach you about how to craft a spell
>Ask Eve to teach you about something related to sorcery

AND

>Name your flying squirrel
>>
>>44101728
>>Read one of the three books you took (specify)
That's the one Ed recommended right?
>>
>>44101770
Ye
>>
>>44101728
are the books in the character sheet i couldn't find them?
>>
Haven't added them yet, I'll add them now.

They're up earlier in the thread. I'll relist them here.

The Eight Schools of Arcane Magic by Azdor
The Ethics of Spellcasting by Essentia Nells
>>
>>44101849
>The Power of Blood by Flid Havrang
Let's read what was recommended first.
>>
>>44101728
>Ask Quissonce to teach you about how to craft a spell
because everyone apparently thinks we're a sorceror might as well prove them wrong.
>>
>>44101728

Names:
Kilgore
Muffin
Tim
>>
>>44101888
+1 on Muffin
>>
Alright, roll me 1d100 + 15, best of 3.

And, choose a name for your squirrel

1. Kilgore
2. Muffin
3. Tim
>>
>>44101888
>Hold on, I gotta get Muffin outta my pocket.
>"That's not a muffin."

I like it.
>>
Rolled 75 + 15 (1d100 + 15)

>>44101928
And lo, the dice taketh!
>>
Rolled 52 + 15 (1d100 + 15)

>>44101928
>Tim
Because I like naming animals like humans. I don't know why.
>>
Rolled 36 (1d100)

>>44101928
>>
Rolled 89 + 15 (1d100 + 15)

>>44101928
rolling the third one
>>
>>44101992
MISSING MODIFIER PLEASE BE NULL
>>
So, it seems like Tim and Muffin make it to the final round. This is important.

1. Tim
2. Muffin

And, writing!
>>
>>44102093
>2. Muffin
>>
>>44102093
>>
>>44102093
>>
You decide you'll read that tome by Flid Havrang. You open up The Power of Blood and get to reading.

The first few chapters are boring or things you already know by now. It essentially tells you how to determine whether you're a sorcerer or not. Can you cast magic innately without the need to reference a spellbook? Do you not require the use of components or materials? Then you're a sorcerer and it comes from some magical source in your bloodline descending all the way back to the ancient times.

He then goes and talks about the importance of knowing your ancestry and checking up on that. You really aren't in a position to do that, so you skip over it.

He then lists a few sources that might be responsible for it. Essentially, his guesses all come down to some magical creature had sex with one of your ancestors. Either a dragon, or a ghost or a demon or a fey. Wonderful really.

He then speaks about how magic comes from the blood. His theories go back to the stories of the dragons and compares their talent with the talents of wizards. Wizards require precise hand gestures, words and components to cast magic. Dragons do not. Magic was always some biological element in the blood that dragons tapped into, like 'their sacs or glands or whatever it was produced their fire'. A wizard must specifically align his body and his mind to focus himself to utilize the trace wisps of magic already coursing through his veins.

Havrang has two theories about this. Either 1, wizards do possess enough magic in their blood they just lack the proper understanding to tap into it naturally. He compares the instincts of baby turtles to head to the sea to why sorcerers may be able to emulate this originally Draconic ability. There is enough genetic knowledge left from a sorcerer's parentage so they know how to cast. This also may be why wizards can't learn how to be sorcerers. How do you teach someone how to make their heart beat? (1/2)
>>
Or 2, they do not possess enough magic in their blood. He likes the second postulate because, as he words it, 'SUCK IT AZDOR'.

He finally gets to the real meat of the book near the end. How to already further or draw out the powers of your blood. There is a potential for you to just not have enough 'power' left, from being too many generations separated from the source of whatever gave it to your ancestor.

There is also the possibility that you aren't letting it 'flow'. Magic comes from pulling energy out of your own body and projecting it onto the real world. You might be subconsciously or consciously trying to hold it in, scared of what may happen or something going wrong. Like cumming, it requires you to just release at some point.

He recommends meditating for long hours in a completely silent area where all you can hear is your own body. No outside noise or distractions. He also mentions you could try to feel your pulse for a while and feel the rhythm of your heart. His last recommendation, which he notes with a cautionary tale of 'don't go overboard and make this weird for people' is to try making a small cut and watching the blood flow from it. Maybe collect it and look at it. Drink it if you're desperate enough. He mentions he hasn't done any of those last ones himself because that's 'gross as shit'.

By the time you're finished with the book it's around midnight. Ed's gone to sleep and you get up to feed Muffin.

>Head out and search for a place to meditate
>Try feeling your own pulse for a while
>Cut yourself
>Go to sleep

KNOWLEDGE ARCANA: +5
>>
>>44102553
>>Try feeling your own pulse for a while
>>
>>44102553
>Head out and search for a place to meditate
We should learn that elven trick of meditating to avoid needing to sleep. We already copied one innate ability so why not try.
>>
>>44102553
>Try feeling your own pulse for a while
>>
Alright, roll me 1d100 + 20!
>>
Can Alan learn new learning traits so his learning is extra learny?
>>
Rolled 7 + 20 (1d100 + 20)

>>44102685
Dammit, Dice, I said fail.
>>
Rolled 46 + 20 (1d100 + 20)

>>44102685
>>44102692
well if we find a how to guide to learning we should be able to learn how to learn pretty fast.
>>
Rolled 2 + 20 (1d100 + 20)

>>44102685
>>
>>44102712
>>44102732
Look like we suck at this. Congrats on being a loser.
>>
Writing!
>>
>>44102725
>learning for dummies: Abridged: pocket edition: with Cliff notes

Suddenly learning +50
>>
>>44102755
>Oh no, one of the three methods we read about may not be 100% effective for us

Jesus, did you come from /v/?
>>
You sit down on your bed and put two fingers to your neck. You feel for your pulse and finally you find it. You sit there as the light on your candle fizzles out and try to calm yourself to the point where all you are feeling is your own heartbeat, pumping blood past your fingers. You feel your heart rate slow as you enter a more relaxed state.

You feel it all work together. Your heart supplying the blood and your veins pushing it to the furthest corners of your body. You feel it, but . . . nothing seems to be happening. You try your thumb next. You're able to settle in again and feel it pump through your body, but again, nothing. You're starting to wonder whether this actually works and realize you're quite tired now. It's 2am and you've been having a very active day since you almost watched your spiritual mentor get blown away in front of you. You decide to just go to sleep and focus on tapping into your bloodline tomorrow.

You wake up the next morning to Ed doing push-ups in the middle of the room. Seems he still keeps himself in shape despite being a wizard. Looks strong too. You rub sleep out of your eyes and prepare to tackle this new day.

>Go find Gabby, spar
>Try one of those techniques you learned (specify)
>Go find Quissonce, try to learn how to not sleep
>Ask Ed to teach you something about wizardry
>Ask Eve to teach you something about sorcery
>>
>>44102912
>>Ask Eve to teach you something about sorcery
>>
>>44102912
>Go find Quissonce, try to learn how to not sleep
if we can combine this with Sorc meditation we'll start growing in power every day.
>>
>>44102938
Why do you want to limit yourselves to only sorcery? The obvious path is to combine our great magical potential with the precision of the wizards!
>>
>>44102940
I doubt we will learn that.
>>
1. Ask Eve to teach you something about sorcery

2. Go find Quissonce, try to learn how to not sleep
>>
>>44103086
>>
Alright! Writing!
>>
You decide you'll go find Eve and ask her to teach you something about sorcery. You get yourself ready, washing off yesterday's grime before searching for her. Quissonce says she went downstairs and you find Eve practicing her magic in what seems to be a dueling room on the second floor. It is filled with sack dummies and targets all around the room as well as a basin of water and assorted reagents.

You walk over to her and ask her if she can give you any tips on how to be a better sorcerer. She stops slinging spells and gives you a very serious stare.

“Apprentice, you want to know why I'm an amazing sorcerer?”

“Because of your –”

“BECAUSE I NEED TO BE! Okay. You want to be good, you got to have yourself a goal that you want to achieve. Something that nothing but bending reality itself to suit your whims can do. Sure, you need the blood and the magical acumen and the training, but all that shit means nothing compared to a gnome with a drive. I'm going to be a dragon. People may say, 'Hey Eve, you're a gnome. You can't be a dragon.' And to them I say fuck off! And that's why I'm amazing. So Alan, I want you to search inside yourself real deep and ask yourself what do I want? And then you just got to let it all out in an explosion! What do you need to do Alan!?”

>Defeat the empire!
>Come to peace with myself!
>Act in a morally righteous manner!
>Something else? (write-in)

Either way, roll 1d100 + 25
>>
Rolled 52 + 25 (1d100 + 25)

>>44103269
Never take a step back! (especially in regard to our past guilt/uncertainty)
>>
Rolled 33 + 25 (1d100 + 25)

>>44102958
we literally learned how to sorcery by watching someone else do it. Pity I was playing during that vote though...
>>44103269
Rolling. No idea on our motivation aside from "magic is cool"
>>
Rolled 14 + 25 (1d100 + 25)

>>44103269
Bleh
>>
Writing!
>>
“Never take a step back!”

“And why is that?!”

“Because if I look back I am lost!”

“And why is that!?”

“Because I regret so much of what I've done to get here!”

“So what do you need to do?!”

“Keep moving forward!”

“Like a shark!”

“Like a shark!”

“The past is in the fucking past Alan. You can't change it and you can't fix it. All you've got in front of you is the next decision! That's what your blood can do. That's what your magic can affect. That's what you can accomplish! So dig deep inside yourself and use your power to make that next step. To keep moving from challenge to challenge to challenge and be so far ahead of the mistakes you made that they never catch up to you.”

You don't know what it is but Eve's pump-up speech is really getting to you. The more you think about things you regret the more you freeze up in the present. You can't let your past control you like this. Momentum, that's what you need. And it comes to you. You feel your blood pump through your veins, flowing into your feet, granting them swiftness. They can be as light as you want them. They can be as quick as you want them.

You take the next step.

>End of Thread
I will most likely run tomorrow. If not, then Saturday. https://twitter.com/TrickQM
>>
>>44103662
thanks for running.
>>
>>44103662
Thanks for running!
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.