[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would a slime of a size somewhere between halfling and orc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
How would a slime of a size somewhere between halfling and orc composed of fluid or jelly maintain a cohesive enough structure to act and self-organise suitable for biological activity, or a neural-like network enabling it to think?
>>
>>44088542
> cohesive enough structure
Assuming its possible, selectively manipulated form that is solid due to water tension. If seperated into small enough pieces, it will puddle, but in large groups it forms a solid shape.

> neural-like network
Particularly conductive passages which transmit from a central mass of circuitry operating the other areas by telling them to expand and contract and such,

> Alternately
Its magic, I aint gotta explain shit, on both counts.
>>
>>44088542
Magic
>>
>>44088542
your a fagot but I like your pic
>>
>>44088989
I got some weird results under visually similar on the image search.
>>
>>44089291
Oh? You got me curious, I'll search and.. oh, it's just ponies. Meh,
>>
>>44089302
well yeah mostly ponys but some other odd stuff as well

it looked more interesting in the few short images on the main web search but then when I went to it it was mostly just ponies yeah.
>>
Are there games where I can play as a slime?
>>
>>44089350
3e
you may need to bump up the int a tiny bit im not sure.
you can play as anything in the monster manual in 3e

I suggest picking up savage species
>>
>>44088542
I got ideas for both biological and construct slimes, non-magic based.

Which one is your intent, OP?
>>
>>44088989
Thanks anon. I like the grumpy black one.

>>44089952
Biological, anon.
>>
>>44088542
Look at the biology of cells and single celled organisims and handwave the hard science parts, especially the Square-Cube Law.
>>
>>44092003
This is what I normally assume
>>
>>44088542

Structural pseudoskelton.

Basically, within the slime there are more ridged pieces of the slime that form a sort of honeycomb structure that provides support. This structure is designed in such a way that as the slime moves and deforms the individual connections come apart and rejoin often and seamlessly, but the slime generally doesn't have a problem as long as all of the load bearing connections are disconnected at the same time, at which point it sort of falls apart and has to put itself back together.

Given the opacity of the slime, and the fact that these pieces are made of the same material as the surrounding goop, it is basically impossible to spot the 'skeleton' from the outside. Even in contact with the slime, it feels more like the slime is sort of gritty than anything else, because these connecting pieces are very small.

Stretching, shrinking, and moving these connecting pieces is how the slime maintains its shape, moves its parts, and and accomplishes limited shapeshifting abilities. It basically serves the purpose of muscle and skeletal system simultaneously.

Each tiny piece is theorized to be an individual organism that lives within the slime that can survive without the others, but by working together forms a larger more powerful organism. Like the cells of a human body, but with more autonomy if the greater whole is damaged.
>>
>>44091283
Sorry for the delay.

I imagined a cell network in which flagella worked both as an axon and muscle fibers, using electrical charge for both muscular activity and signaling.

There could be a core neural tissue (not!brain) or not, and that sapience resulted from the required inteliggence for managing this "neural tendon system".

Perhaps each neural cell is already shaped as a muscular fiber, contracting and expanding with a synapse.

A slime could have some sort of electricity-producing tissue for all this.

I imagine they tending towards being hyperactive.

They also would create non-osmotic, adhesive membranes so that they could handle tools, weapons, carry backpacks and use even clothes without the risk of absorving them.
>>
>>44088542
Make it a non-newtonian fluid.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.