[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You're on a cruise!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: otter space.jpg (36 KB, 720x659) Image search: [Google]
otter space.jpg
36 KB, 720x659
>be you
>high school freshman/sophomore, let's say
>on a cruise ship for a class trip
>you're all situated on the cruise
>most of the morning gets monopolized by orientation bullshit and "have a buddy"
>finally afternoon, just finished lunch
>wat do

If you're a bit of a rebel, feel free to have had a chance do ditch just before lunch.

It's a modern day cruise, departing from Port Canaveral in Florida if the location is important to you, in a world where (as far as you know) there's no fantasy but let's be real, you're theoretically playing the first session of a campaign, so the odds are pretty high or magic. Destination for your group is in the Bahamas.

I've never been on a cruise ship before and I want to make sure I don't grossly mess it up - but more importantly, I want an idea of what people are going to want to do, generally. So if this was the first session you were playing (system unimportant, but let's go with FATE for now if you need a framework to operate in), what would you go do?
>>
>>44084811
Wait for the GM to dispense plot hooks. If none are provided, start researching possible heists we can pull during the cruise, because heists are underutilized in traditional games.

Most players aren't interested in roleplaying the mundane; we want something exciting to do. Some players are the type who make their own fun, but you as a GM can't count on that if you don't know the group(like you said, first session) you need to be able to get your players' attention with something fantastic, or at least interesting.

Try finding the basic plot of a Shakespeare play (Maybe "Girl's father wants her to marry one guy but she's in love with another guy) setting it up among NPCs, and seeing what your players do about it.
>>
>>44084811
>Chat up the bartenders/servers, cruise ship workers have the best stories!
>>
>>44084811
Hijack the cruise ship, and join a group of Somali pirates
>>
>>44084871
>entire campaign is you taking the roles of various characters in different stories by different NPCs.
I'd be so down for that.
>>
File: 1446954393634.jpg (240 KB, 1918x1534) Image search: [Google]
1446954393634.jpg
240 KB, 1918x1534
>>44084859
>Try finding the basic plot of a Shakespeare play (Maybe "Girl's father wants her to marry one guy but she's in love with another guy) setting it up among NPCs, and seeing what your players do about it.

I really like this. And I'll take the general suggestion into consideration too, make sure to give them hooks into story situations.

>>44084871
Logical followup, I would think: have a short list of stories, from the mundane to pretty exciting to outright madeup. Maybe a place for some extra story hooks around the ship? Ghosts inhabiting one of the dining halls at night or something like that.

>>44084906
>Florida
>Somali pirates
I'm not from Florida, but isn't this a "pick one" scenario? Or are things that bad down there?

Pic unrelated to any of this.
>>
>>44084925
This sounds so baller. Probably a great way to hook actors and whatnot into a game night - they might not be interested in game rules or whatever, but give them a new character to play every half hour and they'll go for it.
>>
File: 1447027176372.jpg (132 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
1447027176372.jpg
132 KB, 800x1035
>>44084859
So if you were to plan a heist for something on a cruise ship as a high schooler, what would you do?

My first instinct is that alcohol would be an obvious acquisition, but I suppose there are a lot of things a high schooler might find to be cool. Thoughts?
>>
>>44085585
Probably Nazi Gold or the Declaration of Independence.
>>
>>44085615
There will definitely be a guy hanging out telling kids that there's Nazi Gold hidden in one of the holds on the ship. There's my "outright lie" story, and hopefully the players will bite, cause that sounds fun.
>>
>>44084925
Fiasco would be perfect for this.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.