[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeon Life Quest (DLQ) - Vox is High on Painkillers Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: Attempted Diplomacy.jpg (56 KB, 529x417) Image search: [Google]
Attempted Diplomacy.jpg
56 KB, 529x417
ARCHIVE: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dungeon%20Life%20Quest
PREVIOUS THREAD: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/44053626/
CHARACTERS AND PLACES: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19gNVgtevar647l4ZumUaVH6GlJzvxLlDNKaH8DrQMWE/edit?usp=sharing

You are Brianna la Croix, journeyman necromancer, and you are in a war council with a lungless cripple and a paraplegikeet.

"I need you to answer me just one question," you ask Amy seriously. "The minotaurs in the Dungeon, what's their culture like?"
>>
File: 1449717798519.jpg (172 KB, 667x418) Image search: [Google]
1449717798519.jpg
172 KB, 667x418
>>44084033
Amy hums. "You ever seen a moose lose its shit and just beat something to death for absolutely no reason?"

"Uh-huh," you agree, slowly.

"Angry minotaurs are like that. So they spend a lot of time practicing gestures of respect and solidarity, because generally in a fight between one minotaur and another, both lose. They won't expect you to know their culture, but they understand respect. And they'll test that respect, because they hate false flattery the way humans hate betrayal. A power play is literally less insulting than a hollow compliment or a meaningless insult."

"...I think I like these people," Nathan admits.

Amy shrugs. "They're okay. Invaluable as guides, great as friends, terrible as enemies. Just tread lightly."

"Then we'll go to the Maze," you decide. "If we play our cards right we might get more than just passage. If we can persuade them to open up negotiations with Lakehallow, both groups would prosper. Muscle on one side, food on another."

"Access to Glen would mean better weapons, armor, and supplies for the tribe," Nathan warns. "Not telling you your business, but keep that in mind. Don't create something you can't destroy."

You give Nathan an offended look. "You are talking to a fucking necromancer. What do you think our very first lesson is, knitting?"

"Well, you made the chicken."

"I will have satisfaction, sir!" Fetch squawks indignantly, but you pet his head and he settles down instantly, nestling against you. "My dark and glorious queen, bringer of life and death, could never act in any way irresponsible."

Nathan stares at the bird while Amy tries, so hard, not to laugh.

"Well?" you tell Nathan with a teasing smile. "Apologize."

To his credit, Nathan treats Fetch with dignity; "Noble zombie chicken, please forgive my presumption."

"You are a man of honor," Fetch says regally. "You are wholly forgiven."

This is it. This is your life now.
>>
>>44084066
>This is it. This is your life now.
I am okay with this.
>>
File: ghost river.jpg (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ghost river.jpg
102 KB, 640x480
>>44084066
The four - well, okay, three, since Fetch can't have any - of you share a pot of coffee before you gather up your things and set out. Amy's applied salve to the cut on her cheek and patched the damaged leather portions of her armor, a for-now solution that will need to be redone properly later. Fetch and the chickens take point, eyes wary for danger and spectral voices clucking gently into the darkness.

You and Amy see in the dark with the power of your necromancy. Nathan, of course, needs no such help. The young man takes the rearguard, the second-most dangerous position in the marching order, and keeps his loaded crossbow at the ready. You see something massive slip through the river, thrashing a white, sinous tail before it dives deeper into the water.

It's gonna be a bit of a walk.

> Just get there (advance)
> Talk to Amy (suggest a topic)
> Fall back to talk with Nate (suggest a topic)
> Write-in.
>>
>>44084204
>Just get there (advance)
>>
>>44084204
Ah, the sneakiest of scouts, imagine the confusion that people will have when a bunch of clucking skeletal chickens walk into there ambush. Before one of them runs off, then runs back shouting gibberish about hethens, traitors, and heretics.
>>
>>44084204
>>
>>44084204
Sooo... you can talk to chickens. Am I going to break up a burgeoning romance between you and Fetch anytime soon?
>>
>>44084204
>Talk to Amy about if she saw the massive slithery tail too. Afterwards, ask her if she has spoken to these particular minotaurs before.
>>
>>44084204

>>
File: image.png (102 KB, 771x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
102 KB, 771x540
>>44084330
>>
>>44084354
Oh man. Saved. Saved so hard.
>>
>>44084331
I'm pretty sure that's just Kells?
>>
>>44084331
pretty sure that was meant to be Kells, dude.

>>44084330
good call.
Sooo... you can talk to chickens. Am I going to break up a burgeoning romance between you and Fetch anytime soon?
>>
>>44084429
Either its Kells or its not our problem, we wouldn't see it if it was out to get us.
>>
File: 1432172751126.jpg (192 KB, 855x644) Image search: [Google]
1432172751126.jpg
192 KB, 855x644
>>44084449
I'm gonna go get some food now that I'm finally hungry. Vote's tied anyway.
>>
>>44084553
Make sure to get something soft or liquid! That is, unless you'd rather choke on tooth.
>>
>>44084204
>>44084553
>Talk to amy
>>
Votes called in narrow favor of talking to Amy. Writing.
>>
File: Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Amy_zpsesezxfce.png~original.png
22 KB, 300x300
>>44084204
"Soooo," you say to Amy, giving the harpy girl a look. "You can talk to bird?"

Amy nods happily. "Mom taught me the trick. It helps that I'm related, but the translation isn't always right. They don't have words for some of our concepts, and vice-versa. Like..." she makes a chirping trill. "I literally could not give you an accurate description of the sort of air I was just talking about. But you couldn't tell them, in their own tongue, about milk."

"Interesting," you muse. "Fetch proposed to you yet?"

Amy sputters in shock, giving you a wide-eyed look somewhere between offense and 'did you really just?'. "I am /not/ a necrophiliac! And I'm attracted to humanoids, while we're at it. Thankyouverymuch."

You chuckle and put your eyes ahead to the path.

"Besides, when he asked I told him I already had a mate," Amy continues. "And he said he understood and would never impugn on his maker's love life."

> Goddamnit wat
> Amy, you can't just say shit like that!
> ...That /was/ just to get him off your back, right?
>>
>>44085106
>> Goddamnit wat

This is our life now.
>>
>>44085106
>Goddamnit wat
>>
> ...That /was/ just to get him off your back, right?
amy wai
>>
>>44085106
> Goddamnit wat
His... maker's love life?

Did Amy say *we* were her mate?
>>
>>44085106
> "I'm pretty sure that having a mate actually requires mating at some point, little bird. Is there something I need to know about our cuddle pile? Or do we just need to make time later to keep you from being a liar?"
>>
>>44085106
>Goddamnit wat
then
> Amy, you can't just say shit like that!
>>
>>44085106
>...That /was/ just to get him off your back, right?
I really wanna know how Amy would respond to this.
>>
File: 1443935623832.png (684 KB, 767x1280) Image search: [Google]
1443935623832.png
684 KB, 767x1280
Vote will be called when I'm done making coffee.

/You're/ a madman.
>>
File: 1283057626471.jpg (328 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1283057626471.jpg
328 KB, 1200x1000
>>44085519
>>
>>44085519
>085519 â–¶
>File: Spoiler Image (684 KB, 767x1280)
Uhh vox, unless the nerve in that tooth is dead you're going to seriously hate life if you do that.
>>
>>44085529
>>44085540
Pain is the sensation of fear leaving the body.

Vote called.

Writing.
>>
>>44085519
I understand. Don't listen to the heathens. The only things better than coffee are pharmaceutical grade methamphetamines and the souls of the damned
>>
File: The Ride Never Ends.webm (546 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
The Ride Never Ends.webm
546 KB, 576x324
>>44085106
"Gods - Amy, /what/?" you ask in exasperation. "Are you serious right now? What did we just talk about? What did we discuss?"

Amy glares at you in genuine anger. "You know what, no. Tell your chickens to hold up."

You issue a mental command to Fetch and a verbal 'we'll be right back' before Amy grabs your collar and hauls you away. You're not sure if she's lightening your body on purpose or if it's sheer irate annoyance that has your boots bouncing against the floor with an oddly...not weightless, but definitely weight-impaired, feeling.

The bird girl pushes you up against a wall and puts a finger in your face.

"Let's get this perfectly straight," she says in a low tone. "You aren't my mother. You're not my sister, or my father, or my mentor. You're certainly not the Lady of Ravens, Blessed-Be-Her-Fucking-Talons. I appreciate you looking out for me but you don't get to act like I'm a goddamn /child/."

"You're gonna get that finger out of my face," you say in a low voice, "right fuckin' quick."

Amy lowers her finger and steps back, putting her hands on her hips. "I told him that to keep him off of /your/ back. He was trying to play matchmaker."

You pinch the bridge of your nose and sigh.

"And as for 'getting to know you for you'," she continues, clearly not wanting to waste the momentum behind a good tirade, "what am I supposed to be seeing that's so horrible? Huh? Is it that you're compassionate? Responsible? Valorous? Smart? Funny? Pretty? Interesting? Is this one of those fucked up things where you think you have to buy out of love because you do spooky dead shit?"

"Amy, I -"

"No 'Amy, I'," she interrupts, stepping closer. Her icy eyes are attentive. Sharp. "I get it if you don't want me. I'm a big girl, Bri. But you're acting like it's some horrible thing, for /me/ to want /you/. Gimmie a reason. I wanna hear it, or I want you to stop telling me what I'm supposed to feel."

Shit. When'd she get so assertive?
>>
>>44085721

> "I'm not comfortable with it. I saved you, sure, but you don't /know/ me."
> "...I've done some things, Amy. Seen some things. Buried people who should've lived full lives. *I* don't like me."
> "...I'm sorry."
> Write-in.
>>
>>44085659

>pharma grade methamphetamines

Bit of a thing - Adderall, the legal prescription drug, is actually straight-up speed. It's literally labeled 'amphetamine'.

I take it for anxiety, and I'm not allowed to get more than 60 pills (two months' worth) between doctor's visits in order to ensure that I'm not getting addicted to it.

It does work really well on both the anxiety and keeping me awake, though - I take it at ~8am every morning and have to take tranquilizers in order to get to sleep before 5am the next day.
>>
>>44085753
>"...I've done some things, Amy. Seen some things. Buried people who should've lived full lives. *I* don't like me."
>>
>>44085770
I actually just take ephedrine. You can buy it over the counter as a asthma medicine. Not quite as strong, but not prescription needed.
>>
>>44085770
>>44085793
See, I just sustain myself on caffeine and elemental hate left over from years of abuse, a shitty abusive marriage following the previous, and six years of being forced to live in goddamn Kansas.

Ever had someone tell you that math is a Satanic conspiracy? Ever had everyone else in the room agree and immediately begin discussing the Illuminati?

Imagine six years of that.

I mad.
>>
>>44085753
>"...I've done some things, Amy. Seen some things. Buried people who should've lived full lives. *I* don't like me."
>>
>>44085721
>>
>>44085753
Better get our self loathing out in the air now so it has room to breathe.
>>44085817
>Ever had someone tell you that math is a Satanic conspiracy? Ever had everyone else in the room agree and immediately begin discussing the Illuminati?
Ah, the midwest.
>>
>>44085770
Can confirm, used to use it for ADHD, swapped to Rytalin for a bit more sleeping, ended up then suffering from crippling anxiety instead. Would not recommend. Now I'm on meds that cross wire the hell out of my brain and make me go from wide awake to passed the fuck out.

For example, I did poorly on a test today and instead of getting very stressed my hand started shaking, and instead of getting nauseous at things I end up with a cough. I probably should be concerned about that, especially since it fucks with my dreams and has insanity as a rare side effect.
>>
>>44085817
>goddamn Kansas.
Hey, I was born there. It's occasionally nice. I wouldn't live anywhere but Kansas City though. Too boring
>>
>>44085753
> "I do think we should get to know each other more first. But, uh. I have kinda been keeping that from happening. So... I'm sorry. For all of it."
>>
>>44085721

> "I'm not comfortable with it. I saved you, sure, but you don't /know/ me."
> "...I've done some things, Amy. Seen some things. Buried people who should've lived full lives. *I* don't like me."

and

>Write-in: "If you happen to /like/ me, I can't exactly /stop/ that, but I don't quite feel that way for you (yet), so claiming that we're 'together' isn't fair, for or to /either/ of us. I get that you were trying to get Fetch off my back, but just run that kind of shit by me first next time, alright?
>>
>>44085852
my hyperactive inattentive nigga
Ritalin definitely sucks, caused me many headaches. Just wondering, did you start from low dosage and work to high? because i've never had the effects you're describing, except one morning where i was shaking like Michael J Fox.

Also, where does Amy come from again? Is it another settlement in the basement?
>>
>>44085871
>"I do think we should get to know each other more first. But, uh. I have kinda been keeping that from happening. So... I'm sorry. For all of it."
THIS
>>
>>44085770
Don't forget the going a day without food.

My record is 1.5 days without food/water after my dose was bumped up to see if I did better. Could have gone longer without food, but I made a sandwich when I got some water cause, y'know, I knew I needed to eat.

>>44085753
Knowing Bri, she probably realizes she's a good person, she just has a shitty job. The fact that she still feels otherwise means her rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

If she wants a reason, it's this right here. She knows we can't tell her we're a bad person and mean it. *We* know it too, and yet we still do it anyway. We have our problems, and we clearly need to work them out before we can hook up with someone and mean it.
>>
>>44085898
Deeper in the Dungeon, somewhere.
>>
>>44085898
The effects I'm describing aren't for ritalin, they're for Straterra, what I'm currently on. I stopped taking ritalin cold turkey a while back. Caused me to pass out for a few weeks and tank my grades but it worked itself out.
>>
>>44085898
I think anon switched from Ritalin to something else?
>>
>>44085898
>one morning where i was shaking like Michael J Fox.
I get that once in a while. Usually when I'm sobering up.
>>44085753
Definitely the self-hate option.
>>
>>44085936
>>44085964
Well, it seems I forgot to take a pill today.
Also vox, are the back stories set in stone, or are they being fluidly built by you in your madness?
>>
>>44085964
Yeah, I swapped to Strattera, which is a fucking weird medication. From what I can tell it works by heavily fucking with brain chemistry allowing you to concentrate, it also throws a whole bunch of other minor things off, and occasionally some more important things off in rare cases. So far I've only noticed interesting and mildly annoying symptoms, but I am paranoid about the fact that if I fuck up and OD or ingest something screwy I could throw my heart off or go insane.
>>
Calling the vote. Writing.
>>
>>44086025
That... Seems like a thing to get the fuck off of? I mean, I get the condition is shitty too, but. Risks of throwing your heart off and dying or actively going batshit are pretty good reason to find alternate medications.
>>
>>44085852

Ugh. My brother took Ritalin (amongst other drugs), and the way it made him act got me so fucked regarding drugs that I nearly had a panic attack in the doctor's office when the doc first suggested Adderall to me.

I have ADHD and GAD (social-focus), and it actually really helps with both. The way the doc explained it was that it makes your brain go so fast it doesn't have time to get stuck on things (anxiety) nor to jump the tracks (ADHD).

Only problem I've had with it is that it's incredibly difficult for me to actually study when I'm taking it (because I can't worry enough about the test to convince myself to study) but it also kills my test anxiety DURING the test, so I can finish the whole thing and get a few wrong rather than get them all right up until 3/4ths of the way through when I get stuck on one and start freaking out.

>>44085909

Oh, Jesus, this too. I dropped 45 pounds in two months because I was just never hungry and before I started taking it I had never eaten unless I was hungry (and I was hungry a LOT). Even now I'm only eating about 2/5ths of what I did before I started taking it, just because I don't feel like eating more than that.
>>
>>44086024
I'ma go with Yes. Attitudes, feelings, characterization, these are to an extent being defined by votes and inspiration, but the outlines and important events are known to me (and my note files) already. Anon's vote here has defined something, which is how Brianna feels about her own life.

I do need to note, the option is not necessarily in the veins of "I hate me, I'm horrible". But you'll see (and/or yell at me?) in a minute. If you feel like the option presented didn't illustrate the consequences appropriately, please, lemme know. 's the kinda feedback I need as I improve my QM skillset.
>>
>>44086056

Just remember, Vox: any fuckups tonight are the fault of the painkillers, and can theoretically be retconned later.
>>
>>44085721
>> "...I've done some things, Amy. Seen some things. Buried people who should've lived full lives. *I* don't like me."

Hell we cut her damn wings off, how are we not supposed to feel terrible about that, even when it was necessary. We killed a good man in the village in cold blood, sure it was for good reason and he consented, but you don't get to kill people like that and have a normal life.

>>44086043
If it were going to happen it would've started fucking things up in the first month. Theres a reason they wean you onto it. I'm pretty much in the clear at this point, although I did have a scary as hell instance where I drunk about 12 cans of coca cola and had crippling chest pain that night, turns out I have Costochondritis or some similar condition and it had absolutely nothing to do with my meds.
>>
File: Baron.jpg (138 KB, 462x800) Image search: [Google]
Baron.jpg
138 KB, 462x800
>>44085721
"Well?" she asks.

"You ever buried a baby?" you ask softly, not trusting your own voice. Amy looks surprised by the question; you can't look her in the eyes. "Ever had to take your hat off and tell grieving parents that death happens? Ever had to say, 'Everyone gets a lifetime, no more, no less' while they cry into the whiskey you poured for them?"

You take your hat off and hold it in a limp hand. "It's not the big things that get you," you whisper. "Those are numb. They're too big to hurt. You come home, and your family is dead, and your friends are dead, and you...you do your job. You find their bodies, and you bury them as best you can, and you do your job. And a week later, a little girl asks you if you can save her kitten, her beautiful little alleycat, and it breaks your goddamn heart."

"Bri -" Amy begins, but you shake your head.

"I do horrible, needful shit, Amy," you continue, shakily. "I killed Nathan to save him. I watched the fear in his eyes as he died. He didn't know why. He didn't understand. And he'll have to carry that death with him forever. I took your wings. I brought a man with no fucking head back to life and now he lives every day with a collar squeezing his neck together. And they needed to be done but every time I close my eyes I /see them/, and nothing makes them go away. And you wanna share that? You want me to let you into my shithole life and dump all of this on you?"

Silence hangs in the air between the two of you.

"...Well, there's a good reason," she says at last, her voice soft and sad. "You're an idiot."

She turns to walk back to the group.

> "...Don't go."
> Get mad.
> Go back with her.
> Stay.
>>
>>44086047
Ugh indeed. I was on Xanax for a while, and I had the same sorta problem. It left me with like a half second delay between when things happened and when I could react. I absolutely hated it and took myself off. An occasional panic attack and short temper is better, to me.
>>
>>44086025
Welcome to the drug life, anon.

>>44086047
The way I saw it (Purely ADHD perspective) was that attention was sort of like an open flame, casting its light everywhere. teh drugs are like a focusing array, taking the light and increasing its strength while limiting its scope, giving proper focus

>>44086160
Ah, I see. Kudos to you, this sort of structure seems very strong for this format (Player guided storytelling).

>Stay.
>also take the time to check for pursuers and whatnot
>>
>>44086160
>Stay
We...we just need some space for a bit.
>>
>>44086160
>Stay
>Actually consider that she may have a point.
>>
>>44086280
>Stay
>Actually consider that she may have a point.
>>
>>44086160
> Stay.

That was depressing. Also decent for character development and is the first time that we've seen a view of our self versus an outsider view. Still, good job on the writing, I honestly am surprised at the lack of drug fueled shenanigans currently.
>>
>>44086301
I have an odd relationship with most mind-altering drugs, in that I generally seem to mostly remain...me. Like. I had 29 shots in an hour at one point and remember absolutely everything from that night. I wrote a /paper/ like that (and fucking aced it).

It takes a lot to put down my ability to write how I want to write. Usually it's easier to put down my ability to write /at all/.

I do hope that the fallout from the vote made sense for the option presented, though. I'm still kinda feeling my way through this, trying to ensure that I don't give away the update while still providing clarity of choice.
>>
>>44086178
>>44086280
>>Stay
>>Actually consider that she may have a point.
>>
>>44086375
I've got no complaints, as far as that option went we got something roughly on par with what one would hope.
>>
Calling the vote.

Writing.
>>
File: Amy Going Out.jpg (100 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Amy Going Out.jpg
100 KB, 600x338
>>44086160
Amy goes, and you let her. You sink down against the wall and sit heavily, with your breath heavy and your shoulders down.

Eventually, you put your hat back on your head, and light one of Lora's horrible cigarettes. You can feel Fetch's concern, but you push it away, not reprovingly, but firmly.

You need some time to yourself.

"...Idiot, huh?" you murmur, smoke trailing from your lips with each word.

A long time ago, in the town you'd called home, a town built up on stilts, with walls and crossbows and herb-scented fires to keep the monsters out, there had been an old man, and an old woman, and they'd loved each other very much. And the old woman had died, as people do at the end of their threads, and your grandmother had clicked her tongue like she did at you when you'd done something stupid.

"She ain't got no call, doin' a thing like that," your grandmother had said. "Old men don't outlive they wives. They always die together."

You hadn't understood what she'd meant, then. But the old man had followed his wife into the grave a year later, a shadow of his former self, and you'd never quite forgotten him.

You take a drag on the horrible fucking cigarette, and you breathe it out your nose. If every fucking day is going to be this eventful, you're gonna need to either drink a whole lot more, or get a lot more help around.

"You win this round, bird," you finally murmur. You stand and head back to the group, hat low on your brow, and whistle for Fetch to keep marching. Amy's replaced Nate in the rearguard, but he takes one look and respects your quiet. Still, it's oddly comforting when he reaches a hand out for the cig, and takes a drag to share your misery with. He coughs and hands it back, and you give him a weak smile.
>>
File: Waiting Room Cigarette Case.jpg (27 KB, 340x395) Image search: [Google]
Waiting Room Cigarette Case.jpg
27 KB, 340x395
>>44086685
The rest of the march is silent, disturbed only by the trickle of the river. You make it back into the worked stone hallways, claustrophobic in comparison to Lakehallow's open caverns, and close the door behind you. Nathan goes to open the center door of the T-section, only for Amy to grab his wrist.

"Are you fucking insane?" the harpy girl whispers. "Let me check it first."

Something thin and flat and long, almost like a steel ruler, is wedged into the cracks between the door and its frame. Amy moves it through patiently and, partway down, grins suddenly.

You hear the sound of a dozen bolts plinking off of the steel on the far side of the door.

"This is why you bring a dungeonbreaker," the bird girl notes. She puts her ear to the door, knocks on it several times, in several places, and then turns the knob slowly. Satisfied, she pushes it open and gestures.

"Welcome to the Maze. Maps end here."

Less than a hundred feet in, the hallways branches in another T, this time without doors. Each of the passagess is marked with green and blue paint, in a language you're able to recognize as goblin...but not translate. Nathan and Amy come up blank as well.

This...might complicate diplomacy.

> Split up.
> Stay together.

And

> Take the left hallway.
> Take the center hallway.
> Take the right hallway.

And/or

> Write-in.
>>
I'll probably be leaving this vote open overnight, as I feel the siren call of The Sleep coming for my soul.

Thread archived, so I don't forget.
>>
>>44086794
> Stay together.
Any chalk we can use to mark our way in?
>>
>>44086923
I second this.
I can't remember which side you're supposed to go to to find your way through a maze, but I do remember that you always take the same turn. So let's continuously go right, or continuously go left, even if it means doubling back.
>>
>>44086958
It doesn't matter which hand.

So sure, lets>>44086794
> Stay together.
>>
> Stay together.

use something to mark the way you go
>>
>>44086794
> Stay together.

> mark our path in, preferably something subtle and high up.

I just know those little shits will erase any signs that aren't theirs.
>>
>>44086958
They're controlling it from the center. I'm pretty sure our best chance is to meet up with the tribe and get taken to the minotaurs.
>>
>>44087115
Yea, but until they know we're here they have no reason to change it.
>>
>>44087244
Well, sure, but assuming that we can follow the ordinary rules for mazes with something that people with non-human thought patterns can reshape on a whim seems... Off.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d3)

>>44086794
> Stay together.
The bird, she is life down here.
>rolling for hallway
>Can we talk to a dead goblin spirit or something?

Y'all are jacked up on prescriptions. Not to say it's bad, but it's weird to hear when I have had, like, 3 Aspirins in my entire life. Most of the shit I do involve lifestyle and diet changes, to varying degrees of success.
>>
>>44086958
As the other anon said, the side doesn't matter, as long as you stick to it.
It doesn't work with all mazes though: If the exit (or the prize, if the maze hides something) is somewhere in the middle, sticking to one side will lead you all around the outer wall until you are back at the entrance.
And if, like in this case, the maze can change, you're fucked no matter where you go. Then not even unerasable (hewn-in) markers help.
>>
>>44088575
Doctorfag here, lifestyle and diet changes don't help much with ADHD and the like. If you have it you're fucked and you have to live with it, medication can alleviate the symptoms. In most cases it gets better when you're an adult though.
>>
>>44088885
To clarify for you, sticking to a wall in a static maze will lead you to every point of the maze that is bounded by that wall. Adopting this technique from the entrance means that you eventually will reach the entrance again, if no other entrances/exits to the maze are on the edge.
If your goal is in the middle of the maze, it is still possible to reach it if and only if the wall is continuous (i.e. every section of the maze walls is connected directly or indirectly to every other section).
Oh god i still have my math final terminology on my mind someone help
>>
>>44088969
>with ADHD and the like
Well there's not much I can say to that. I never got diagnosed before getting "cured", so I don't know whether what I had was ADHD or what.

But it meant the world to me in terms of ability to focus on studies, particularly secondary languages. At the very least, I'm certain that everyone should take the time to CHECK if what they shovel into their mouths is literally degrading their ability to think.
>>
>>44089007
Yeah, exactly. If I was to build a maze, I'd make it so that going along a side would (after walking through many dead-end side corridors) only lead you back to the entrance. The exit/prize would be only reached after taking the "other" turn 2 or 3 times and only then follow the wall. And behind a hidden door, of course.
>>
>>44089195

Think of how geometry works. That's actually pretty difficult.

The only way I know of to make a maze that thwarts right/left-hand-on-the-wall methods is to have the goal be in the middle somewhere, and the outside be a big loop of some sort.
>>
>>44089474
hidden doors in general mess with the right/left hand on wall rule. As would platforms that rotate after you get off them, just to mess with your mind.
>>
File: proof.png (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
proof.png
19 KB, 500x500
>>44089474
I (>>44089007) whipped this map up in less than 5 minutes. It isn't that hard. Start at the green circle, reach the center. Hidden door is the red wall.
Notice the walls of the maze are actually split into 3: the outside that connects to the outer walls, a middle section, and the inner section that contains the goal.
The thing about mazes is that they always seem more obvious with an overhead full view.
please help me i haven't gotten any sleep and now i'm staying up debating mazes online
>>
>>44089714
the painkillers have achieved meta-effectiveness: proper dosage starts affecting anons from beyond the screen
>>
>>44089714
Well yeah, you did exactly what
>The only way I know of to make a maze that thwarts right/left-hand-on-the-wall methods is to have the goal be in the middle somewhere, and the outside be a big loop of some sort.
says
A loop outside, goal in the middle.
Hand Rule beats any maze that doesn't have secret doors and has both exits on the outer border. It wins because it's extremely simple brute force tactic of checking everything.
>>
>>44086794

> write in : stay together until you find a guide, locals gonna local and if we can Reason at them, awesome.
>>
>>44085912
AMY IS ACTUALLY THE VINTNER.
VINTER'S DAUGHTER

> Stay together.

> mark our path in, preferably something subtle and high up.
Same reasoning as other anons. May as well try the mundane plans.
>>
>>44086794
>>44090275
OSHIIIIIIII

>Stay together
This is how you die
>Take the right hallway
Fire Department dictates when entering an unknown structure, always pick one side and keep to it, either follow the left wall until it puts you back at the entrance way, or keep to the right wall. The rest is irrelevant after this point but I'll add it in spoilers because its interesting.

Your partner holds on to the leg opposite of the wall you have chosen earlier. It is his job to use his mass to span the search to the center of the room, with this you should be able to cover the majority of a room. In all likelyhood potential victims will have either fallen close to the exit or will have taken shelter in a closet, or another closed contained space. If they haven't there likelyhood of survival drops wildly, which is irrelevant anyway because the Fire Department treats all victims as dead until proven otherwise, and extracts them ASAP to prove otherwise, usually causing multiple injuries to the victim in the process.
>>
OKAY, I AM ALIVE.

I'm going to leave the vote open, not because we need more votes but because I have to, among other things, go pick up my paycheck, get some groceries, do the dishes and also possibly get Christmas presents for my children if I can fucking afford it, *not that I am god damn bitter*.

Writing Soon(tm).
>>
>>44091460
Wait, you have kids, and are on 4chan? I thought we were all supposed to be broke college students or 20+ year old fat basement dwellers?
>>
>>44091528
I've been on here since high school.

Now I'm 30 with a wife and a home.
>>
File: the-more-you-know.jpg (67 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-more-you-know.jpg
67 KB, 1920x1080
>>44091528
You learn things everyday on 4chan. Whether for good or ill, I cannot say.
>>
File: 1439093152978.jpg (233 KB, 761x1000) Image search: [Google]
1439093152978.jpg
233 KB, 761x1000
>>44086794
"Stick close," you order quietly. You dig a bag of chalk from your pocket and mark the wall as the group takes the right-hand hallway, leaving behind hasty symbols in the traveler's code that you've picked up over the years. Everyone's on edge, especially Amy - the bird girl drifts near the front, eyes sharp for hidden triggers and pressure plates that she spots through some unknown providence.

You start hearing a faint rumbling behind you, and Amy groans out loud. "They're changing the layout," she sighs.

"Who the fuck built this?" you exclaim.

"Dwarves."

"...That...makes sense, actually."

You stop to try and think, and a wall slides open at the end of the hallway, revealing a tight formation of eight goblins - four in front with spears, four behind with loaded crossbows.

In full chain armor, of quite obviously fine make, with tools and supplies at their belts.

"Oh no Nate," you drawl. "We can't let them trade with Glen. They'll get metal and stuff."

Nate's about to reply when one of the goblins in back - you'd guess the leader, but it's a little hard to tell since you're not sure what the difference is between marks of rank and personal flair are - says something in a loud, authoritative voice. You can't make out the words - you don't speak goblin - but you know the tone. You've heard it on a dozen or more captains over the years, usually right before you're run out of town.

> Hold your hands up peaceably. Try a few other languages to see if you have one in common.
> Order everyone to their knees with your hands where the goblins can see them. If they wanted to kill you, you'd already be dead. Right?
> Hands on weapons, but no aggressive moods.
> FIGHTFIGHTFIGHTFIGHT
>>
> Hold your hands up peaceably. Try a few other languages to see if you have one in common.
>>
>>44093638
>>
>>44093638

Time for diplomancing
>>
>>44093638
>> Hold your hands up peaceably. Try a few other languages to see if you have one in common.
> But, y'know, if they look about to fire, be ready to dodge or something...
>>
>>
>>44093638
>> Hold your hands up peaceably. Try a few other languages to see if you have one in common.
>>
Votes called, writing.
>>
File: Necrodance.jpg (94 KB, 869x960) Image search: [Google]
Necrodance.jpg
94 KB, 869x960
>>44093638
You spread your hands in the universal "look how many weapons I'm not holding" gestures, and your compatriots quickly follow suit. You point at your own head and say "Brianna," clearly.

The goblin leader nods his head slowly and answers, "Korl."

"Do you speak lorshan?" you ask in your native tongue, slowly. The goblin stares at you, registers what question you were probably trying to ask, and shakes his head. He asks something in his own tongue, and you give him a guilty smile.

|Elven?| you trill. Nothing. |Sylvan? Dunno what I was expecting.|

And then, in a formal tone, the goblin speaks dwarven to you: |Speak ye the hated tongue of the stone burrowers that collapse the tunnels and break the crib?|

You brighten up and bounce on the balls of your feet, making the other goblins rattle in nervousness. |I speak the Stout Tongue!| you answer. |...Huh. You know you use their word for you, for them?|

|I am aware of the irony| the goblin barks irritably. |Korl of Labyrinth Clan, I am. Ye are?|

|Brianna of the Cross Clan| you answer formally. |We weren't hoping for a fight.|

|Tresspassing, ye are| the goblin says dubiously. |Intruder, ye, on our lands. Why?|

|I...| you pause. Dwarven has a /lot/ of words for leaders and nobility. |I seek /the/ Labyrinth. Your mighty leader, who towers above?|

Korl considers this and then orders his subordinates; their weapons raise out of the ready position, and their formation loosens ever-so-slightly. |Our Below King commands us tell you that he allied with the maker of grape-beer, to offer you escort from territory, and ask if you still wish to see him.|

|General orders?| you clarify.

Korl nods.

Iiiiiiinteresting.

> Take the escort out.
> Seek more information.
> Ask to see the Below King anyway.
>>
>>44094390

We knew this wasn't going to be easy, no point in turning around now.
>>
>>44094390
> Seek more information.
>>
>>44094390

well, at least he's open to other offers
>>
>>44094390

The maker of grape beer, huh, that doesn't sound like Vilker to me.

> Seek more information.
>>
>>44094518
Translation errors may be in effect, anon.
>>
>>44094518
what, you think the Dwarf language has a word for alcohol thats NOT beer?
>>
>>44094390
>> Ask to see the Below King anyway.
Yeah why not. Civilized chat is always good.
>>
>>44094390
>Take the escort out.
>>
>>44083055
>>44083114
case in point: >>44094422
>>
Vote called. Writing.
>>
File: Bri - The Early Years.jpg (105 KB, 1250x1579) Image search: [Google]
Bri - The Early Years.jpg
105 KB, 1250x1579
>>44094390
|I find myself still possessed of a great need to see your Below King| you say formally.

|So be it| Korl agrees. |You may keep your weapons. The Below King fears no treachery.|

The goblin taps a subordinate, who pulls out a hunting horn bound in brass. Korl gives you a meaningful look and puts his fingers in his ears; you, your subordinates, and the other goblins follow suit before the hornblower lets out a long, loud blast.

You remove your fingers from your ears as the walls and floors begin to adjust in rattling shakes.

|Why didn't he cover his ears with muffs?| you ask, politely.

|Morak is already deaf.|

|...Huh.|

When the rumbling stops, the short humanoids fall into an honor guard...or possibly escort detail...around your group, marching deeper into the Maze with you.

"How we playing this?" Amy murmurs.

"I don't see a reason to pick a fight," you say simply. "Those standing orders were interesting. I think I wanna know why they were issued."

"Where the fuck did they get all these supplies?" Nathan hisses.

"Also a great question," you say mildly.
>>
File: Really.jpg (91 KB, 687x956) Image search: [Google]
Really.jpg
91 KB, 687x956
>>44095563
It's obvious when you reach the center of the Maze - for one thing, there's this huge steel door, and when you cross through it the floor rings with the hollow report of brass. Pipes and wires extend along the walls, connected to control consoles that hum and hiss faintly. Goblins speak into voice tubes, checking in with scouts and sentries through the Maze.

You get curious eyes from the oddly scrubbed-and-equipped goblins, but aside from the ocassional parent preventing their small child from running directly at you no one seems worried so much as curious.

The central chamber contains the minotaurs. The two sit on thrones of brass and bone, built out from metal chairs still faintly suggested in their structures. The two are massive, easily eight feet tall, and ripple with muscle. Both are armored in bronze - you hear Nathan click his tongue in disapproval when he sees the sculpted breasts on the female minotaur's armor - and have spears across their laps.

Korl says something formally, and your guard steps away from you smartly. You stare for a moment at their discipline - you've met human soldiers worse at this - and then return your gaze to the minotaurs, who wait with attentive expressions.

> Greet them formally
> Greet them deferentially
> Be yourself
>>
>>44095900
>Be yourself
obviously voice out surprise and respect at their discipline, but that's all.
>>
>>44095900
> Greet them formally

They've set themselves up with a throne room and well disciplined guards, they're most likely going to expect a formal greeting. Nothing flowery, but something appropriate for a pair of hulking minotaurs in ornate armor.
>>
>>44095900
Because they'll want us to make it clear we aren't here to fight them like a group of idiot adventurers.

Also because Hail Satan its now a 3 way tie.
>>
>>44095900
> Be yourself
so long as we show them the respect that eight foot tall murder machines with their own private army deserves, we should be fine
>>
>>44095900
> Greet them formally

Remember what Amy had to say about minotaurs:
> They won't expect you to know their culture, but they understand respect. And they'll test that respect, because they hate false flattery the way humans hate betrayal. A power play is literally less insulting than a hollow compliment or a meaningless insult.

They've got control of this room, they have good kit that you can't figure out how, and they managed to get fucking goblins in line. That's worthy of some sincere respect.

Deference seems way too much; that would no doubt obviously be false flattery.
>>
>>44096050
You may have forgotten an actual vote here, anon.
>>
> Greet them formally
>>
>>44096125
Yes, it appears I did, well anyway I'm heading out for food. See you soon.
>>
>>44095900

Remember, Minotaurs prefer honest expression to flowery bullshit.

> Be yourself, maybe a little more formal than normal

Mention the fact that we're very impressed at the dicipline their troops show, maybe throwing in a comparison to the idiot guards above, as well as the general shape of their domain, but avoid the platitudes and hooplah that generally accompanies 'formal' greetings?
>>
>>44095900
>Be yourself
>>
Votes called.

Dishes, then writing.
>>
>>44095900
>Be yourself
>>
>>44096835
>>44096834
I swear this doesn't usually happen
>>
File: necromancer.jpg (32 KB, 304x474) Image search: [Google]
necromancer.jpg
32 KB, 304x474
>>44095900
You tip your hat respectfully.

"Your Majesties," you greet politely. "It's a pleasure to meet." You start to translate in dwarven, but the female minotaur leans forward and holds her hand up.

"We speak your tongue, human," she clarifies. Is she...smiling? "Please, continue."

"Y'know, that's honestly a relief. My dwarven's rusty." You flash a grin at the enthroned minotaurs. "My name is Brianna la Croix, and my companions are Nathan Bookchild, Amy, and Sir Fetch the Nightfeather." Fetch stands up to his full height and preens. "If you don't mind me getting to the point, I was rather hoping to get to the other side of the Maze and stab your ally full of large holes."

The male minotaur laughs heartily and leans forward with a grin, resting one elbow on his knee. "Well met, Brianna of the la Croix. I am King Borsh, and my mate is Queen Lista. I don't suppose you'd care to be more bluntly honest? I feel as though you may have obscured your meaning with circular speech."

"Look, to get much more honest I'd have to tell you how I lost my virginity while possessed by my dead cousin," you note. Nathan chokes in surprise, and even Amy gives you a wide-eyed look, but your thoughtline paid off - Borsh's smile just widens.

"I must say, though, your tribe's impressed me," you note, looking around at the busy goblins and their attentive soldiers. "You could make a living training human troops to be this professional."

"This is not a talk for all to hear, I think," Borsh muses. "Are you willing to dismiss your compatriots, if I empty my throne room?"

"Gladly."
>>
File: 1442255644601.jpg (248 KB, 1024x1369) Image search: [Google]
1442255644601.jpg
248 KB, 1024x1369
>>44098023
It's a tense minute or two, but eventually it's just you, Borsh, and Lista. The three of you look at each other for a long moment before Borsh breaks the silence.

"I am a king of my word," the minotaur rumbles. "And my word has made me an ally of the Vintner. You have a grudge, with this man?"

"He tortured my compatriot near to, laid siege to Lakehallow, and tried to kill me twice," you admit. "You could say I'm upset with him."

Lista peers at your face. "...You mean that. Upset, yet not hateful."

You shrug and take off your hat. "If I hated everyone who tried to kill me I'd spend all my day on hate and nothing on actually having any fun. And besides, he...sorta turned into my job. He's done something, to the death down here. Something foul."

The minotaurs share a look.

"This is known to us," Borsh murmurs. "But I find myself caught. The Vintner has become a distant ally, but he has kept the letter of his word. I may not simply betray him."

"So what're my options?" you ask.

"We must think of the good of our tribe," Lista says solemnly. "What is your offer, before we consider offering any options?"

You take a deep breath.

> "Form an alliance with Lakehallow. You'd get trade from the surface and mutual profit."
> "I can make minions to augment your forces and teach you how to command them. Look at what you've done already; imagine that with more men."
> "...What is it you'd /want/?"
>>
>>44098366
Near to death* jesus fuck.
>>
>>44098366
>"Form an alliance with Lakehallow. You'd get trade from the surface and mutual profit."
After we have dealt with Vintner we could make them minions
>>
>>
>>44098366
>"Form an alliance with Lakehallow. You'd get trade from the surface and mutual profit."
Economics!
>>
>>44098366

Not in a " I can give you anything you'd desire" way but a "I have some ideas but I'd rather give you something you actually care about if possible" way.
>>
>>44098366
>> "...What is it you'd /want/?"
They're already an organized military, they surely see the point in profits beyond extortion.

If they capitalised and farmed Dungeon Resources, they can turn quite a profit, wouldn't they? Farm some monsters here, sell supplies over there, rescue adventurers for a cut of everything they have....but they don't. Why?
>>
>>44098366
>>
>>44098366
>> "Form an alliance with Lakehallow. You'd get trade from the surface and mutual profit."

But, the more important question is

I mean, at the end of the day, they could make a LOT of profit by simply holding down the trade routes and charging tax (extortion, but at least everyone wins). That way the lower levels get surface supplies and the surface gets valuables from below, and the minotaurs and goblins sit in luxury. Also they don't have to make deals with people violating the laws of reality and the universe.
>>
>>44098366
>>
Maybe they should look at it like this- we're stronger then the Vintner and would make better allies because of that. We can prove it because we're going to go fight him right now. If he can't protect himself against us, he'd be a pretty weak ally especially when other people show up looking for his head
>>
I need to go get some things. I'll extend the vote while I'm out. Feel free to continue discussing, voting, etc.
>>
>>44099172
Lets take this moment to discuss why your waifu is shit.
>>
>>44099373
I'm sorry?
>>
>>44094518
I think I remember the Vilker was a wine aficionado
>>
>>44099856
Anon, 'vintner' is one who makes wine. Literally a person who creates wine professionally.
>>
Votes called.

Writing.
>>
File: sos groso.jpg (29 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
sos groso.jpg
29 KB, 320x320
>>44100259
Thanks, didnt know that. Im not a native english speaker
>>
>>44098366
You think for a long, hard minute.

"What is it you actually want?" you finally ask. "You control a major thoroughfare. You have supplies, obviously, and well-trained troops. You're living well -"

"No," the minotaur queen interjects. "We are not living well. Our supplies were given to us, but now trade has dried up, and we cannot make repairs. Our goblins know how to kill, but not how to forge. We teach them the tongues of men but there is much in their...in our...education that is lacking."

"In short," Borsh rumbles, "we want to leave a legacy. A true kingdom, in the Dungeon. And if it is small, it is small. If it is petty, it is petty. But I will have it said by none that Borsh the Chipped Hoof was a poor king or a poor friend. None!"

You fold your arms and cock your head. "Why do you care?"

"If a thing is done, it is to be done well," Lista says frankly. "We slew the chief of this tribe and they made us their monarchs. To do less than excellence would be a disgrace."

"...And you've come to the radical conclusion that an excellent monarch protects and promotes their people, and sees to their welfare, and makes their lives better," you murmur. "You two are /wasted/ raiding trade caravans."
>>
File: sMh6kGN.jpg (23 KB, 480x433) Image search: [Google]
sMh6kGN.jpg
23 KB, 480x433
>>44101361
"I want peace for the Basement," you continue. "I think what you want, and what I want, can be accomplished together. And I think the Vintner is in its way. With him at your back and no trade moving through the Dungeon, you will never have what you need to make your vision a reality. I am not asking for your help. My compatriots and I are strong, and we can take him out on our own."

"...How strong?" Borsh asks, thoughtfully.

"They're the strongest people I know," you answer with conviction.

"Then here is the deal I offer you. You are asking us to risk my tribe's future on your mission. If you are so strong, leave a hostage here, as good faith. If the Vintner prevails, we can say that we captured them and fulfilled our oath. If you prevail, you gain your compatriot back, and our ears to your proposals. What say you?"

You whistle under your breath. "That's a hell of a thing to ask."

"And yet," Lista notes, "it is asked."

> Take the deal; leave Nathan behind.
> Take the deal; leave Amy behind.
> Take the deal; leave yourself behind.
> Say you need to discuss it with your compatriots.
> Ask for an escort back out of the Maze.
> Write-in.
>>
>>44101459
>> Say you need to discuss it with your compatriots.
>>
>>44101459
>Fetch pre-empts you by offering to leave itself behind. This is not taken seriously.
>>
Guys, we cannot under any circumstances leave amy behind. It will permanently fuck her up to do so and ruin any relationship our group has with her. Similarly we need Nathan as some form of warrior. I'd like us there too to detect illusions, but we're the most expendable currently. Still, it puts me on edge.
>>
>>44101459
>> Say you need to discuss it with your compatriots.

...We listed Fetch as one of our compatriots when we introduced ourselves to them. It might be acceptable to leave him behind...
>>
>>44101459
>Say you need to discuss it with your compatriots.
>>
>>44101459
Could we leave our familiar behind?
>>
>>44101672
Do you want to be the anon to write the highly, INTENSELY persuasive sales pitch that convinces this warrior that you value the undead livestock the way you do your boon compatriot (Amy) and likely mate (Nathan)?
>>
>>44101817
Well, it helps that he can talk. Sure what the hell, I'll give it a shot if you're willing to go out on a limb with me
>>
>>44101459
>Take the deal; leave Nathan behind
I think we need to keep Amy with us. Traps are not something Nathan and Bri can handle, but it seems both Nathan and Amy are good at killing. Nathan probably more suited to it, but Amy does fill 2 roles.
>>
>>44101874
I'm willing, but we'll have to see how the votes go. Could be a consequence of discussing a plan with your compatriots, but A. you'll have to discuss that with the rest of the voters and B. you'll want a backup plan.
>>
>>44101459
> Say you need to discuss it with your compatriots.
>>
>>44101895
If we leave amy behind she'll never forgive us.

We could stay behind however.
>>
>>44101948
Bri should not stay behind. If the Vitner is fucking around with death in the area, Bri might be the only thing that can counter it.
>>
>>44101459
Can we offer a trial by champion?
Nathan vs wat they throw at us
>>
>>44101817
>>44101938

Fetch is our loyal servant, perhaps the most loyal of our servants. We created him with a part of us, and imbued him not only with intelligence but with everything that makes up his personality. He may seem the least of our party, but he is integral to coordinating our other minions, and what's more he's also the bravest and most dedicated knight to ever swear an oath of fealty.
>>
>>44101981
Fetch would die for us. And I'd hate to be the person who stands between him and his mistress
>>
>>44101874
It will seriously damage relations if we do that, dont be a fucking idiot. To do this would be highly insulting, worse than refusing outright.
>>
>>44102056
Our relationship with fetch?
>>
>>44101459
Can't we offer something else? Nathan knows how to smith, we can teach them languages, and we can let the dead give proper farewells.
>>
>>44102100
You can try, but he's not looking for a trade; he's covering his tribe's ass in case you lose. Against the life-warping illusionist wizard with a fuck demon for a pet.

It's not an unreasonable worry.
>>
>>44102079
THE MINOTAURS

Have, have you not had enough sleep or something?
>>
>>44102125
I don't see how offering Fetch up would be an insult. We just need to make the right pitch, the QM said as much himself. Basically we're giving up a major investment of our own powers to them
>>
>>44102124

>fuck demon

The Vintner has a goddamn succubus as a PET?!
>>
>>44102124
>>44102124
A shame kells protection doesn't extend this far.
>>
> "I... Would have to discuss that with my compatriots. I gave my word to Amy that she would not be left behind. And while I am confident that all three of us can best the Vintner, I am unsure that only two can do so."
>>
>>44102170
An incubus. This was mentioned previously.
>>
>>44102170
Incubus, actually
>>
>>44102170
No. He has an incubus as a pet! See a few updates back, our war council.
>>
>>44102170
As other quests have shown, the best way to defeat an Incubus is to make it feel sexually inferior.
>>
I love how three of us corrected that literally within a few seconds.
>>
Calling in nine minutes. May have to go to bed soonish.
>>
>>44101459
Hell, obviously discuss, but im thinking
>ask to be escorted back
>>
Called. Writing.
>>
File: Nathan Rough.png (645 KB, 939x2055) Image search: [Google]
Nathan Rough.png
645 KB, 939x2055
"Can I have the chance to discuss this with my compatriots?" you ask. The monarchs before you agree with a nod, and summon a goblin to escort you to them. Nathan and Amy wait in a side room, around a small table with Fetch in the center.

You explain the situation succinctly, the moment the goblin gives you privacy.

"Well I'm not staying," Amy snaps immediately. "You /promised/."

"I know I did," you say softly. "I'm looking for thoughts here."

"Is there another way out?" Nathan muses.

"Sure," Amy scoffs. "Take over the tribe. Which will be a lot like leaving someone behind, since even if we won that fight someone would end up hurt."

"I don't think I like that option anyway," you note.

"Why not...understand that I do not say this out of any cowardly need to avoid battle," Fetch says indignantly. "But I could remain, if one must."

"I don't think he feels you're valuable enough collateral to mollify the Vintner's wrath," you muse.

"Ah, yes. Clearly he'd want your mate."

You choke as Amy restrains a laugh with one delicate hand up against her face. Nathan looks at her, then you.

"Did you -"

"I DID NOTHING THANK YOU NATHAN YOU MAY RESUME FANTASIZING ABOUT ME THANK YOU."

Nathan blushes and mutters something that sounds far too suspiciously like 'onlysometimes' while you put your hat over your face and just /breathe/.

"Okay," you mutter, putting the top hat back on your head. "We need a plan. And it's honestly sounding like I'm the most disposable person, while being the greatest gesture of collateral. Nathan, you're hard to kill. Amy, you know our foe. Fetch can go with you both, which means I can offer advice and he can offer aid."

"It's not a bad plan," Amy manages, through her giggles.

"Up to you, though," Nathan notes.

> Leave Nathan behind.
> Leave yourself behind.
> Leave Amy behind.
> Try to leave Fetch behind (write sales pitch)
> Take over the tribe.
> Take the escort out.
>>
>>44102836
>Leave yourself behind.
We can communicate long-distance through Fetch right? Time to be mission control!
>>
> Leave yourself behind.
It's the only thing that makes sense.
...plus it fits our whole martyr thing.
>>
>>44102836
>> Leave yourself behind.

>> Take the escort out.
one of these. At best, we take a nap and see if we can support from Lora's lounge.
>>
>>44102836
>Leave yourself behind.
At least you can send Fetch and the minion squad with the team.
>>
Okay folks. I'm gonna call the vote here in 8 minutes so I can write final update of the night. Will be major choice, leading directly into, well, the first major boss fight of the quest, so...please, treat it with gravity.
>>
> Leave yourself behind.
>>
>Leave Yourself Behind
>>
File: Heresy.jpg (9 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
Heresy.jpg
9 KB, 295x171
Today in DLQ: we have our first major bossfight, with no MC.

I fucking love running this quest.

Votes called. Writing.
>>
>>44103105
I assume we're playing as another character? Or something? Fetch perhaps? Also it seems perfectly in theme with the fact we're playing as a necromancer who has violated every rule of common decency and somehow continued being the good guy.
>>
>>44103157
Every rule of common decency? Expand, anon.
>>
>>44103164
We killed the innocent (kells), we've defied the very laws of nature (revived after dying), we've consistently brokered deals with spirits from beyond the grave to further our own ends, and have enslaved the dead to our cause. In addition, we've been known to become possessed and lose control of ourselves.

That said, all of these things have been done in an acceptable way with acceptable restrictions, but I'll be damned if that list doesn't make us sound evil as hell.
>>
>>44102836
>> Leave yourself behind.
>>
File: dmr_T_Back_lg.jpg (59 KB, 387x432) Image search: [Google]
dmr_T_Back_lg.jpg
59 KB, 387x432
>>44102836
"I'll stay behind," you decide. "Fetch, you'll be my eyes and ears. I can offer advice but only from your perspective, so I'm trusting your good judgement." You give Nathan and Amy serious looks. "Anyone still alive and in enough pieces to be meaningfully themselves is our priority. Save the innocent." Your look goes to Amy. "Before revenge."

Amy stiffens, indignantly, but then she relaxes slowly, and she nods. "...I understand."

"I'm glad," you murmur. You reach out and stroke her dark hair, and she chirps in surprise before nuzzling into your hand. "You're a good person, Ames. Don't let him make you someone you're not."

You take a deep breath and take up your swordcane like a ringmaster's scepter. "Here we go."

You go to the monarchs to tell them your decision, and they send goblins to escort your compatriots, and your minions, into the Vintner's territoty.

> You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker (What Falls May Rise)
> You are Nathan Bookchild (Valor Is Its Own Reward)
> You are Sir Fetch the Nightfeather (Stories Feed the Soul)
>>
>>44103252
>You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker (What Falls May Rise)
Time to bird!
>>
>>44103252

Ah well the bird bird bird, bird is the word...
>>
>>44103252
>You are Nathan Bookchild (Valor Is Its Own Reward)
Verve needs some screentime
>>
>>44103262
But which bird!?
>>
>>44103262
>>44103281
>>44103285

...well we're off to a great start here.
>>
Squaaaark
>>

We are birding now.
>>
>>44103252
>> You are Sir Fetch the Nightfeather (Stories Feed the Soul)

What are you guys, chicken?
>>
how could we /not/
>>
>>44103262
This
>>
>>44103252
>>
>>44103322
Because Amy could easily go wrong here, and she needs the extra layer of control that being our PoV character grants. Besides her being badass.
>>
>>44103252
>>
>>44103351

Talking zombie chicken knight.

Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>
>>44103351
>>44103351
>she needs the extra layer of control that being our PoV character grants
it's like you don't trust her
>>
File: Sleeping.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Sleeping.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
Good anons, I have updated the character document to include Sir Fetch and some of the new folks we've met.

I will now go to bed and see everyone in five and a half hours, when I will drink coffee and call the vote.

Thanks for participating today, and I look forward to continuing! As always, feedback, critique, questions are welcome.

Extra shoutout to the folks who've done fan art thus far. You've warmed my dead little soul. Plus honestly I'm still desperate for relevant images & gifs.
>>
>>44102836
> Leave yourself behind.
>>
>>44103437
I kinda don't? She's got a burning need for revenge/to make him suffer. If we're not in control here, I'm not sure that she'll be able to keep a good grip on herself throughout. Remind me why we should trust her to not have her deep-seated issues take over?
>>
>>44103501
mainly because normal people can't hijack their friend's minds, no matter how worried they are about them.
>>
>>44103499
Wrong vote, anon.
>>
>>44103501
Sir Fetch will guide her down the righteous path.
>>
File: rHBnW.png (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
rHBnW.png
17 KB, 200x200
>>44103760
Forgot image...
>>
File: onwards.png (135 KB, 313x310) Image search: [Google]
onwards.png
135 KB, 313x310
>>44103252
>>

How often do you get to be a zombie rooster???
>>
>>
>>44103252
If the mottos are included, it's probably important.

And riding around as a zombie chicken sounds like the best way to energize our companions. We'll sweep them up in our heroic knight fantasy, and tun this from a revenge quest/necessary evil into a noble story of three adventurers slaying a great evil!
>>
>>44103252
>You are Kell the Red (A fucking undead crocodile)

I BELIEVE!
>>
Ohh! If we play as Sir Fetch, we should offer to Amy the chance to be our squire. It fits with Fetch's general demeanor, what with the knightly attitude, and he'll take it seriously even when we aren't controlling him. He'll want Amy to take protecting Bri as he would, since Amy's closer to Bri's heart, and the mere *idea* of his fair lady's heart being wounded would simply be intolerable!

More importantly, it'll give Amy a new purpose she can work towards after killing Vintner, if she wants it. Sure, take life lessons from the zombie chicken with a grain of salt, but Fetch *knows* what he is, better than anyone else here. If it comes to leading by example, Amy won't find a better teacher.
>>
>>44103252

>>
>>44103252
While I'd love to be the demonchicken, Amy is the next character to be, after Nathan. Also, this will be a defining moment for her.
>>
>>44103252
>> You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker (What Falls May Rise)
I second the notion that Amy needs the additional level of control that being controlled by us offers.
>>
>>44103252
>Amy
>>
>>44103252
>You are Ser Fetch
Also, kudos to you, Vox - you madman - for braving tooth decay and sleeplessness to bring a quest well above the par!
>>
Unofficial mid-vote tally:

>Amy - 10
>Fetch - 9
>Nathan - 1
>...WTF, but Kells? - 1
>>
>>44105321
Links to all votes I could find up to this point, for reference, also:

Amy:
>>44103262
>>44103298
>>44103312
>>44103326
>>44103343
>>44103357
>>44104446
>>44104729
>>44104802
>>44105110

Fetch:
>>44103281
>>44103316
>>44103322
>>44103398
>>44103898
>>44103927
>>44103968
>>44104077
>>44105283

Nathan:
>>44103285

...WTF, but Kells?:
>>44104118
>>
>>44103252
>>
>>44103252
>>
File: snwld1T.jpg (814 KB, 880x2400) Image search: [Google]
snwld1T.jpg
814 KB, 880x2400
Calling the vote in what seems to be a narrow victory for Amy.

I need to shower, get coffee, and acquire clothes. Then, writing.

*You're a madman.*
>>
File: 1449585718450.jpg (176 KB, 900x493) Image search: [Google]
1449585718450.jpg
176 KB, 900x493
>>44103252
You are Amy the Dungeonbreaker, wingless half-harpy, frustrated romantic, and you will have your revenge.

You're marched through the throne room on your way out of the Labyrinth Clan's territory. Brianna stands off to the side, puffing experimentally on a cigar. She looks up as the three of you pass and gives you a quiet nod.

You like that she's trusting you, but you still kinda want to hit her. But, then...getting your feelings straight in general hasn't been the easiest thing, these last few days.

Gods, you can still hear the bars rattle.

The goblin escorts you to the edge of the Maze and shows you where you are on the map. He also removes a small stone from the wall near the edge of the Maze's run and reveals a button. He mimes pressing it and then hearing something, as if distantly called.

You and Nathan nod your understanding, and then you are left alone.

"How do we deal with the illusions?" Nathan asks softly, while you walk ahead to check for traps.

"I'll deal with the illusions," you say frankly, your voice clipped and flat. You can feel the tension in your shoulders, the shaking in your hand that you still with smothering rage.

Close. He's close.
>>
>>44106235
The labs and auxillary rooms seem oddly abandoned. Where are the guards? The cunning traps? Where's the /demon/, for that matter? You don't like it, and your finger thumbs the head of one of your throwing axes. The steel beneath your grip is comforting.

(Not like that other steel. Not like that other steel at all).

You shake your head, violently, and pause.

"This is it," you murmur. "The door into his sanctum. He makes the wine elsewhere, nearer the Vineyard, but this will be where he is. He does his work here."

"How do you know?" Nathan murmurs.

("You could work here, pretty bird," a smoky voice murmurs. "If you're a good girl. If you do as I say.")

"He showed me."

> Enter stealthily. Maybe he won't notice, as long as the hinges are oiled properly.
> Kick the door in and storm the place.
>>
Vote will be left open while I go see the dentist. Weeee.
>>
>>44106278
> Enter stealthily. Maybe he won't notice, as long as the hinges are oiled properly.

>>44106287
GOOD LUCK VOX DON'T DIE
>>
>Enter Stealthily.

You always have the option to barge in guns blazing should you mess up, or he notice, or make noise-same cannot be said of the reverse.
>>
>>44106278

>>44106287
Good luck, hope it goes well.
>>
>>44106278
>Kick the door in and storm the place.

>>44106310
except if he's already noticed us and WE don't know that he has. I mean really, if he's invisible he could have been listening to the entire deal with the minotaurs.
>>
>>44106278
>Enter stealthily. Maybe he won't notice, as long as the hinges are oiled properly.
>>44106287
>Vote will be left open while I go see the dentist. Weeee.
If I wish you luck I'm more likely to jinx it, so all I have to say is believe in the ability of someone who does something for a living!
>>
>>
>>44106278
>> Enter stealthily. Maybe he won't notice, as long as the hinges are oiled properly.
But be ready to start storming any moment.
>>
>>44106278
>Enter stealthily. Maybe he won't notice, as long as the hinges are oiled properly.
Let's get all splinter cell and splatter every one of his cells on a different part of his room.
>>
Hes an illusionist, we probably just walked past his entire army which is waiting in ambush for us without realizing it.
>>
>>44106278
>Ask Fetch if he can see illusions.
>>
Dentist achieved.

Votes called, writing.
>>
>>44107513
So wait, your tooth is finally dealt with?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.