[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advantage/Disadvantage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: meta.jpg (90 KB, 433x232) Image search: [Google]
meta.jpg
90 KB, 433x232
How do you feel about 5e's Advantage/Disadvantage system?

>Sometimes a special ability or spell tells you that you have advantage or disadvantage on an ability check, a saving throw, or an attack roll. When that happens, you roll a second d20 when you make the roll. Use the higher of the two rolls if you have advantage, and use the lower roll if you have disadvantage.

>If multiple situations affect a roll and each one grants advantage or imposes disadvantage on it, you don’t roll more than one additional d20.

>If circumstances cause a roll to have both advantage and disadvantage, you are considered to have neither of them, and you roll one d20. This is true even if multiple circumstances impose disadvantage and only one grants advantage or vice versa. In such a situation, you have neither advantage nor disadvantage.

>When you have advantage or disadvantage and something in the game, such as the halfling’s Lucky trait, lets you reroll the d20, you can reroll only one of the dice. You choose which one. For example, if a halfling has advantage on an ability check and rolls a 1 and a 13, the halfling could use the Lucky trait to reroll the 1.

>You usually gain advantage or disadvantage through the use of special abilities, actions, or spells. Inspiration can also give a character advantage on checks related to the character’s personality, ideals, or bonds. The DM can also decide that circumstances influence a roll in one direction or the other and grant advantage or impose disadvantage as a result.

I originally didn't like it, since I thought adding +2/-2 for favorable/unfavorable circumstances was a more natural and intuitive method, but after playing with it, it's easy to use, and players seem to love it.

Even though it's a little embarrassing to admit, I sometimes wind up granting players advantage AFTER they make a roll and fail it, giving them a chance to come up with a reason why they should have had advantage and essentially giving them a reroll.
>>
>Even though it's a little embarrassing to admit, I sometimes wind up granting players advantage AFTER they make a roll and fail it, giving them a chance to come up with a reason why they should have had advantage and essentially giving them a reroll.

You should be embarrassed.

Anyway, as a guy who hates number crunching and the overabundance of stacking modifiers from previous editions, Adv/Disad has been a welcome addition.

Been running 5e campaign for over a year now, which is the longest I've run any D&D system ever. I think the simplicity plays a huge part.
>>
Why doesn't it stack? It should stack.
>>
>>44083116
Because of this-

>>44082554
>Anyway, as a guy who hates number crunching and the overabundance of stacking modifiers

Once you break away, you don't look back.

A numerical bonus didn't feel important until it hit at least +4, and at high levels not until it hit +6 or even +8.
An extra roll always feels important.
>>
>>44083116
>C'mon, why don't I get advantage for personality, and advantage for roleplaying into this, and advantage from my Actor feat, and advantage from that buff the bard cast...
>>
>>44085727
I don't know about that, but if you have Disadvantage X, Advantage Y, and Advantage Z, why wouldn't you come out to Advantage rather than neutral?
I haven't played 5e, but I've heard good things about it, one of which was the dis/advantage system. It sounds cool, and I like it in theory (having not tried it)
>>
>>44088070
Because it doesn't matter how much you've got going on If you're at a disadvantage.

Got super skills AND you're on high ground, but there's a monkey clinging to your back while you try to fire a bow? still gonna break even on that
>>
Here is your reply
>>
>>44082495
man I spent so much time raging against 5e when it first came out I just cant bring myself to spend the time raging against it now that people are starting to turn against it.

short version is its fucking shit.
>>
>>44088296
also holy shit it fucks the drow in sunlight so much its simply to big a penalty.
>>
>>44088119
>still gonna break even on that
But why? Why is the monkey worth more than the super skills or high ground?
>>
File: 2e drow.png (204 KB, 257x465) Image search: [Google]
2e drow.png
204 KB, 257x465
>>44088313
>boo hoo the underground race is adapted to the underground, not the surface
This is the disadvantages section from the drow description in 2e's Complete Book of Elves.
>>
>>44088339

Because monkey doesn't give a shit about initiative and will still wreck your shit on your turn.
>>
>>44088363
>allowing the monkey to attack off-turn without AoOs
Shit.
>>
>>44088377

Humping the back of your head is a free action for monkey.
>>
>>44088391
>free action
I can't seem to find that in the 5e rulebooks.
>>
>>44088425

It is implicitly stated.
A player, at least, is allowed to interact with one object for free per turn.
>>
>>44088457
Where's it say that?
>>
>>44088457

I'm not sure a monkey's dick counts. Not if it's still attached. If you want to jack off your severed monkey-penis your wizard wears on a string, fine, it's an object, but not while it's still on a living monkey.
>>
>>44088490

190, "Other Activity on Your Turn"
You skeptical fuck.
>>
>>44088360
well ok I will admit that the main problem with it is more that it fucks them over to much when its only there target that's in the light.
>>
>>44088507
Yeah, that needs a grapple roll.
>>
>>44082495
I think it's an ok mechanics. It's easy to use and it workds. However, I do find myself wishing it had bit more depth. Like, the way it works means every advantage and disadvantage is the same (well, you can have adv/disad that apply to different rolls, but the effect on the rolls is the same), so you can't make a distinction between, say, a minor disadvantage and a major one.
>>
>>44082495
I think they come up a little too easily but it's otherwise ok.

One thing I would change is to have blindness prevent you from gaining advantage. Two people in the dark shouldn't have fair odds to hit each other it should be a comedy of misses.
>>
I'm okay with advantage/disadvantage. It's a streamlined approach to the more arbitrary +X/-X circumstance modifiers. It fits with many of the changes for 5e: streamlined for pick-up-and-play. For something in-depth, it's probably not that great, but for stupid noobs like me or lazy DMs, there's less shit to keep track of, and that keeps the game going smoothly.
>>
>>44088569
Shouldn't the blind guys also accidentally stumble, dodge, and roll into each others attacks?
>>
>>44089172
That would describe any hit actually made. Still not happening as much as normal hits between people, if only because they'd barely know where each other is to get into their space.
>>
>>44088360
Geez louise those are brutal.
>>
>>44082495
While I understand the reasoning behind it, I still find myself a little irked both as a player and a GM that multiple Advantage/Disadvantage sources don't stack. If you get 4 Advantage and 3 Disadvantage, they all cancel each other out, and if you get 14 Advantage you still only roll 2d20. It's not even all that easy to get multiple instances of Advantage and Disadvantage on a single roll without DM intervention, either, so I'm not sure why they went with that by default.

That said, I've heard it's an optional rule in one of the supplemental books, and honestly if you got buttflustered enough about it you could just Rule 0 it, but still.
>>
>>44083116
>>44088070
>>44088558
>>44089908

I think most people don't really appreciate how significant a bonus Advantage is, especially withing 5e where the numbers don't really get that big.

If you miss with advantage, that's a clear sign from the dice gods that you really don't deserve to succeed.

Still, a little more depth wouldn't be amiss, but nowhere near as crazy as stacking advantages/disadvantages as they come.

Probably the best way is to grant Super advantage/disadvantage (roll 3 dice, take the highest/lowest) if you have optimal conditions, something to the order of the equivalent of 3+ advantages or a significant major bonus.

The problem with that is with Super advantage/disadvantage, you're just about guaranteed to pass/fail, unless you're trying to do something that exceeds what your character would be able to do.
>>
>>44090809
Yeah. That's kind of my problem with the system. Advantage and Disadvantage are very big, well, advantages/disadvantages. So you don't really have a way to model smaller benefits/penalties. Like in 3.5/PF you could get a -1 to hit against a particularly unnerving enemy, or +2 to your saves due to a paladin's aura, or you could get small bonuses or penalties from terrain condition (like fighting in a muddy ground). Givin Adv/Disadv from those would probably be too much.
>>
I like the advantage/disadvantage system for a couple reasons.

1. It streamlines a lot of things and keeps play moving quickly.

2. It means that effects that do grant direct numerical bonuses/penalties are that much more potent. Getting +3 on a save for being next to the Paladin feels like an enormous bonus. That extra d8 from a Bardic Inspiration feels like a game changer. Compare this to 3.5, where you've got so many little +1's and +2's floating around that nothing feels individually important.
>>
>>44091081
I think it's a system that really grows with the DM's experience.

If an something is too minor, they'll just not grant advantage. Or, they'll grant advantage since they're a nice guy and it's not too big of a deal to allow a player to mitigate bad luck a little.

Though, while it's a system that gets better the more familiar a DM is with it, it's also not bad for novice DMs. It doesn't really let players exceed what they'd ordinarily be able to do in the same way that stacking modifiers does, all it does is make a certain outcome more reliable.

Like, a bard wearing the right outfit with an elaborate stage with a drunk and amiable crowd playing a local and seasonal song while the rest of the party helps out by acting as back up singers and stage technicians might do a pretty good job in 5e, but he would be crowned the King of Songs in 3.PF.
>>
>>44088296
what a pointless post
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.