[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So umm... Why does Edward Raggi get such a strong Hatdom? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (189 KB, 535x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189 KB, 535x750
So umm... Why does Edward Raggi get such a strong Hatdom? I mean sure you don't have to like his games but I don't get all the personal snuff.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess General as well I guess.
>>
>>44070213

I don't get it either. I guess maybe some neckbeards are miserable angry dickheads who need someone to project their anger on?
I haven't read a lot from him, but I wouldn't describe what I have read as "smug" or "insufferable." That seems like people reading in stuff that's not there.
Then there's all the internet urban legends, like "he had a bad breakup and then made the Flame Princess to look like his ex so he could commission art of her being killed OMG" which is total bullshit, but I can see that folks who buy into that would be predisposed to hate him.

Personally I don't really care about his personal life, as long as the game is good, and it's SO damn good. He'd have to be a lot worse, lot Varg Vikernes level, before I'd even kind of give a shit about the designer's personal failings. (Though Myfarog would be shit even if Varg was a really good guy)
>>
File: 1406856442646.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1406856442646.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>Hatdom
>>
>>44070213
I'm not someone who really cares about him either way, but something I heard about was that when people complained about the over the top gore in the artstyle and story he intentionally went out and made another adventure with an effort to be as gory as possible.

Keep in mind that that's just something I heard in a Flame Princess thread I read ages ago, but the guy does seem to be a bit up himself to respond to criticism like that.

Other than that it's probably something blown way out of proportion.
>>
>>44070317
Yeah I thought people bought that ex thing and hate for that (people can't separate the art from the artist as usual), but that doesn't explain how are you somebody feel the need to spread the rumour in the first place.

Meet people just confuse him with Varg Vikerne? What with Scandinavian.

>he intentionally went out and made another adventure with an effort to be as gory as possible.

Isn't it just any dungeon crawl though?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 300x423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 300x423
Has anyone checked out Carcosa yet? According to the tv tropes its allegedly one of the most controversial existence (something I find hard to except considering FATAL and dungeon world exist)

Is reroller hit dice every encounter interesting or just a annoying gimmick?
>>
File: Doom Cave.jpg (125 KB, 553x720) Image search: [Google]
Doom Cave.jpg
125 KB, 553x720
>>44070404
That was the Free RPG Day thing. The first one he did, Better Than any Man, was for some reason accused of being an adventure about killing children. Aside from a random encounter with an Arya-esque child psychopath, the only time a child can die in the adventure is when it's being attacked by a ghoul and the PCs are expected to save it. Children do die "off-screen", but that's either because it's in the middle of the 30 Years War (and the overarching goal of the adventure is to convince the Swedish army not to raze two towns) or from an evil wizard's magic tiger golem which kills indiscriminately

On hearing about this, he made Doom Cave of the Crystal-Headed Children where the only enemy is 100 normal human children. Although that's not nearly as offensive as the entire premise of the dungeon being "Ebin Alien memes"
>>
>>44070447
>>44070317
>>44070213
A good part of it is just Paizo trying to stir shit. We recently saw that with one of the marketing people getting an expansion for LotFP taken sown.
>>
>>44070404
>over the top gore
What kind of pussy-ass dipshits don't like gore in their murder-hoboing?
>>
>>44074275
>We recently saw that with one of the marketing people getting an expansion for LotFP taken sown.
Hadn't heard of this. Any details?
>>
>>44074751
>Hadn't heard of this. Any details?
I'd have to check the archives, but if you look for "Tournament of rapists" (you kill the sick fucks to be clear) you should find it.
>>
>>44075206
>Tournament of rapists
That has literally nothing to do with Lamentations, except that Raggi said he was against censorship.
>>
>>44070213
I think a lot of people consider it being overtly edgy.

Raggi doesn't really strike me as a particularly likeable chap either. I've played with him in a con once. He made a chaotic randumb halfling rogue that kept trying to steal the other PCs stuff and shank people in the ass.
>>
So I take it no one here remembers his essay about how he hates the concept of fun? There was a good point in that but man it came of as whiney.

Anyways, my only real beef with Raggi is that his game fuses superior aesthetics (Grindhouse and Hammer Horror) with an inferior aesthetic (Metal).
>>
He seems pretentious but in a fun, metal-loving manchild kind of way, rather than in a hipster, Adam Koebel kind of way.
>>
>grimdark
do people use this unironically?
>>
File: DeeSnider.jpg (22 KB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
DeeSnider.jpg
22 KB, 200x293
>>44076691
>an inferior aesthetic (Metal).

What's it like to hate fun?
>>
>>44070213
I dislike him because he used to personally come into the forums of other retroclones and talk shit about the game pointing out how his game was so much better.

True or not, that is bad form and he's a cunt for doing it.
>>
>>44078844
Fair enough.

I've heard interviewed recently a few times and he comes across as nothing but charming and humble. Maybe it was a different guy? Maybe he could just have mellowed out and stopped talking smack?

At most but he's probably guilty of just trying to provocative than the RPG equivalent of Tim Buckley.

I think his game are high quality Which hopefully is what matters.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.