[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wodg/ World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: SPACE VAMPIRES.png (2 MB, 850x1528) Image search: [Google]
SPACE VAMPIRES.png
2 MB, 850x1528
>>44059503
>Suggestion for new WoD thread: WoD in Space.
Ask and you shall receive.

If you've got a house rule (1e, 2e, or even oWoD) feel free to share it. What do you do in your games to make things run smoother? Does anyone want to stat up some NPCs? Maybe some monsters? Do you have any homebrews to share? If anyone has advice on making a Chummer style sheet generator, that'd be super helpful.

Here's the images I use to start threads http://imgur.com/a/oerTd

I'm also currently working on updating Geist to 2e, since I can't wait another ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ two years. Feel free to make suggestions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SMgt9996QXnCahP_B6acce9_vZuj5myu_3RC7JYygpw/edit
Currently I've written out a bunch of ideas for Manifestations and "Unlocks". I'm going to go through soon and redraft them. I'm also going to add a sort of half-sin-eater template, basically someone who's got no Psyche but still has some Sin-eater template traits, based on the way that you were ostensibly supposed to be already a Medium before you got The Bargain (though one of the writers seems to have changed that in errata and on the forums). To avoid just calling it "Mediums", I'm going to go with the term Greywalker, from Kat Richardson's novels, and the series I'm currently reading. This is not-for-profit, so I can get away with that.

http://theonyxpath.com/
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKftOH54iNU
Behold, a Spirit of Social Media!
>>
>How do new Werewolves choose their Tribe? In fact, how do Tribes work in the whole Pack structure?
Werewolves choose their tribe by showing an interest in its philosophy and proving themselves to its totem enough for that Firstborn to welcome them into its fold. Or they're brought up by members of a tribe. Or the Firstborn comes to them (which happens to a lot of Cahalith and Bone Shadows).

>How do Tribes work in the whole Pack structure
Well, they're not really formal organizations, so there's also not really conflict between Forsaken Tribes as such, usually. Your Tribe is a set of beliefs and priorities that you share with other members of your tribe, and you're a follower of a minor god who also considers itself your spiritual cousin. Tribes work together quite well in a pack, and tend to defer to the packmate whose tribe specializes in whatever the current issue is. A problem being caused by humans would be handled by the Iron Master in the pack. When your pack is on a war footing, or is preparing for combat, you turn to the Blood Talon. Got somebody you need to chase down into the dark places and never, ever let up until they're dead? Turn to the Hunter in Darkness.

2e adds Favored Prey, which leads even further to the "a member of this tribe specializes in this particular field" thing.

Don't get too confused by the Favored Prey thing, though. All werewolves hunt all kinds of prey. Whatever threatens the territory is dealt with by the pack as a whole.
>>
File: the_pace_of_modern_life.png (537 KB, 483x4160) Image search: [Google]
the_pace_of_modern_life.png
537 KB, 483x4160
>>44060308
What even is going on there? "If you twitter it will ruin your life"?
I mean, it sounds good, but the actual message is just really dumb. It's very "kids these days" and reminds me of this:
https://youtu.be/LD0x7ho_IYc
>>
>>44059792
And I kill a thread. If that's not evidence I should play Demon idk what is.
>>
>>44060456
>Werewolves choose their tribe by showing an interest in its philosophy and proving themselves to its totem enough for that Firstborn to welcome them into its fold.
Yeah, but it's not like Werewolves start out in a Tribe, even if it's part of character creation. It feels like in setting everyone would just go to whatever Tribe the people who inducted them into the Pack are in. I don't know about 2e, but in 1e it was also pretty hard to change your Tribe.

Although that might have been another holdover from 1e Forsaken trying to be too much like Apocalypse, where Tribe basically meant what your ethnicity was, as opposed to any sort of social or religious grouping.
>>
I want to try this even though I know the topic is kinda divisive.
I'm the ST of a Hunter the Vigil game using the GMC rules (and mortal remains and all that). I had some prior experience with 1e, and the game is going pretty well, but I still have some issues with the beat system.
Going with the assumption of 1 XP per player per story, my players are never going to make 20 beats at a time. So far I've scrapped Aspirations as a game mechanic (I mean, we still detailed the characters' motivations, but are not rigidly tracking them), and even the regular stream of Conditions derived from Integrity rolls is starting to feel a bit repetitive after 5 sessions.
I know that I can eyeball things, and that's exactly what I'm doing, but I'd like to hear from other people how they are doing with these subsystems.
>>
>>44060470

That's nice and all but Twitter will ruin your life.
>>
>>44060470
Based on the "watch yourself" part, it's commenting on the fact that saying one dumb thing on twitter can basically destroy your life. The rest of it seems to be basic "don't prioritize your 'public image' over your real life" stuff.

It's no Papaoutai, that's for sure.
>>
>>44060539
>I know that I can eyeball things, and that's exactly what I'm doing, but I'd like to hear from other people how they are doing with these subsystems.
All the beancounting involved with Conditions and Aspirations and whatnot just to maintain the expected influx of Beats has frustrated my group so much that we've just completely stopped using it. I have no idea how my ST allocates Beats now.
>>
>>44060539

Group Beats. No one player may be able to get 20 Beats at a time, but a group of players going for it could. Every time five Beats go into the pot, everyone gets an XP.
>>
>>44060526
I dunno, I feel like tribe has some geological basis that people ignore too much. Like I've you're in a city you're far more likely to associate with /see iron masters than hunters in the dark; and vice versa for the country. And the other tribes should be less common. Like soldiers are more likely to encounter blood talons, etc.
>>
>>44060600
>Every time five Beats go into the pot, everyone gets an XP.
That's not how the Group Beats thing in the book works. Just pointing this out so people don't go looking at that sidebar for a solution - this version posted here might actually work.
>>
>>44060550
Not really. I mean, do you really see Obama and The Queen being lead off a cliff to their deaths by Twitter?

>>44060555
>it's commenting on the fact that saying one dumb thing on twitter can basically destroy your life.
If that's the message, it really doesn't come through...

>>44060539
>>44060585
>divisive
Why so?
Also, why take out Aspirations if you feel your players aren't getting enough Beats? That's like complaining your car isn't going fast enough and then stripping the tires.
You should be getting a lot of Beats. Aspirations, Conditions (of which Hunters have many ways to get them, beyond just Integrity rolls)... are you remembering the other ways you can get Beats, like taking damage in your rightmost Healthbox?

>>44060600
That's how I do it, but technically if five Beats go into the pot with a 5 player game, everyone gets 1 Beat.
>>
>>44060585

My ST scrapped Beats entirely and hands out a flat 1-3 XP at the end of the session.
>>
>>44060600
In case I wasn't clear, I'm already doing group beats. But after the 5th time they get Shaken from a passed Integrity roll, it's starting to wear out (btw, are there any good guidelines for improvising Conditions?)
>>
>>44060470

>Today's teenagers are the best-behaved generation on record
>drug use is down, exercising is up

Holy shit what a bunch of faggots
>>
>>44060627
Obama yes, the queen no
>>
>>44060627

Yes, actually. Only their ghosts tweet now.
>>
>>44059976
OP That's Macross 7, not world of darkness they aren't the same.
>>
>>44060642
>Holy shit what a bunch of faggots
Ikr? It's like the pussys won't even drop acid
>>
>>44060627
What I'm doing now is giving "plot beats" at important plot points (more or less in place of Aspirations), and reminding them they can turn a fail into a crit fail for beats (which they did just a couple of times). The health thing has never come up yet because we're still cautiously investigating.
Hunter has the perk of having practical beats that are a lot clearer to track. But really I mostly want to hear other people's experiences.
>>
>>44060671
There not even going to smoke meth and fuck a tranny . . . Why even live?
>>
File: swordsman_by_muratgul-d5y4kct.jpg (205 KB, 800x1132) Image search: [Google]
swordsman_by_muratgul-d5y4kct.jpg
205 KB, 800x1132
>>44059976
>WoD in Space.

I'd go with the following cornerstones:
>WEREWOLF
+Loci cannot form away from life
>MAGE
+Paradox decreases the farther you get away from Earth but so does the potency of the Arcana themselves
+For REASONS interactions with Inferno are far more easy on Mars
+Fetters are "broken" in space
>DEMON
+The GM exists in space, but there is no Infrastructure capable of summoning Angels beyond the orbit of Pluto
+Whichever Infrastructure exists beyond earth is BAD. NEWS. FOR. EVERYONE.
+Unchained gain a -2 penalty to gathering Æther beyond Earth's Stratosphere
>HUNTER
+Cheiron has a fuckton of projects dealing with and running in space, most of which tend to be experimental and highly dangerous
+TFV's Deep Space Operations Division is currently attempting to launch their own space program
>MUMMY
+The pyramids on Mars house several Arisen, though who their cult consists of is anyone's guess
>PROMETHEAN
+There exist stories of an Unfleshed sub-lineage called the Hermetians who wander the cosmos seeking out civilized life as part of their Great Work. Where these stories come from nobody knows
>Vampire
+Vampires who leave Earth's atmosphere while torpid cannot be re-awakened until brought back to it or another planet with life
+Vampires who leave Earth's atmosphere while aware may remain awake indefinitely OR fall into torpor, hoping someone wakes them up
>>
>>44060623
To be fair, that's a much better way of handling it. I feel like the default Beat structure is for LARP or MUSH games, or groups made up of assholes that don't want to share their Experiences or don't want their experience to be tied to the group. I mean, I can get it from a mechanical perspective--hanging around while Jane does all the work shouldn't give John a Beat--but from a game-as-group-endeavour perspective it's kind of weird to have personal experience instead of group experience.

And the "official" version of the Group Beats rule encourages a slower character growth. Which isn't necessarily bad. I mean, in nWoD 1e you technically where supposed to only get, like, 3xp in an average session and things could quickly become ludicrously expensive.

>>44060633
I feel like that's a bad way of handling it. That's probably going to result in a lot of really fast character growth. But I guess some groups do like that. I'm always a little "ugh" when only a few days or hours have passed and I've gone from novice to expert.

>>44060634
>(btw, are there any good guidelines for improvising Conditions?)
... In each of the books, under the section labeled "Improvising Conditions"?

>>44060646
Pff.

>>44060664
None of the images I use are from WoD. I just typed Space Vampire into Gelbooru's tag search.
>>
>>44060634

Maybe just scrap Conditions entirely? It might be best to just return to the 1e XP system and keep the 2e XP values for long campaign games.
>>
>>44060726
Scrape your boots of the old thread's shit before entering the next one.
>>
>>44060700
It actually already exists. It's just not very good.

>>44060697
>fuck a tranny
Actually more transgender people are openly out than ever and transition is easier, safer, better, and more socially acceptable (although "more" is relative).
Plus pot is likely to be legalized before the decade is out.

>>44060676
eh. Still seems weird to get rid of Aspirations, instead of adding "plot beats" in addition to it. I mean, doesn't Hunter already give that in the form of Practical Beats?

Also, you should give players more Conditions of your own (and really they should ask for more, like asking if they can get Spooked or Swooning or Inspired or Informed for doing things).

>>44060719
>Maybe just scrap Conditions entirely?
They're literally one of the best additions. And integrated strongly into the game. why would anyone want to get rid of them?
>>
>>44060700

>Eternally floating vampires in Torpor

Good lord, there is no scenario where that ends well.
>>
>>44060706
>... In each of the books, under the section labeled "Improvising Conditions"?

Ok, first of all, why so hostile.
Second, this is all the GMC has to say:

>All Conditions should have some kind of game effect. They can add or subtract dice, restrict certain kinds of rolls, remove 10-again or add 9-again, and interact with sub-systems such as Social maneuvering. A Condition that affects a character’s performance in combat is actually a Tilt.

Which is not a lot, and doesn't really help me much in deciding what is appropriate. I don't know if other games have something more in-depth, that's why I'm asking.
>>
Werewolves do join Tribes because of the Uratha of those Tribes who are around them and help shape them during the early days post-Change. They also join Tribes because the Tribal philosophy calls to them.

Plenty join, though, because of personal history with or strong belief about the sacred prey. An example from one of my games: a young man sees his best friend torn apart and consumed by the charismatic leader of the cult that they're both part of, really a Bale Hound, and when he then Changes in a howling storm of blood and destruction he heeds the call of the Blood Talons because he wants revenge on that werewolf, because he knows the sheer destruction that werewolves can wreak on a life, because what other prey can so speak, so *sing* to his new predator's instincts as to be worthy?
>>
>>44060771
To get the full experience you need to smoke a bowl of tina and today's kids I tell you they arn't into tina. More traps are about the only worthwhile change in the last 10 years
>>
>>44060787

I dunno, re-entry feels like it'd solve that problem really quickly.
>>
>>44060771

I don't agree with it, but the argument I've seen is "It's nothing the ST isn't doing already, except now a fiddly subsystem".
>>
>>44060771
>It actually already exists. It's just not very good.
Mirrors? Fuck. Mirrors.
>>
>>44060811

Every August, we go outside and watch the sparkling lights, as vampires turned in thr Blood Space War ignite on striking our atmosphere.
>>
>>44060811
>>44060844

>yfw vampires survive re-entry through mars much thinner atmosphere and fuck up the lives of future colonists
>>
>>44060835

It's pretty neat that a lot of the Mortal enhancements in Mirrors are the foundation for StoryPath.
>>
>>44060858

>Hungry burnt Vampire fucked up from Torpor nightmares

Game over, man.
>>
>>44060790
Basically just make up a status effect. You can pretty much port the old Derangements as Conditions, for instance.

>>44060805
What about the fact that worldwide the number of violent deaths have actually decreased, as has global poverty levels?

>>44060817
But that's why it's great!

>>44060835
>Mirrors? Fuck. Mirrors.
Whoops, I meant to actually link Infinite Macabre, but it's bigger than 8MB. Here's Bleeding Edge instead.
Also, yeah, I feel similarly. The Shards were good ideas, but the execution is really bad.

Bleeding Edge is actually probably the worst of them, although I do feel like Woundgate crippled itself by trying to be tied to the standard WoD too hard.

>>44060864
A lot of the 2e things are from Mirrors, too. But the main issue with Mirrors is that nothing seems playtested.
>>
>>44060864
>It's pretty neat that a lot of the Mortal enhancements in Mirrors are the foundation for StoryPath.
I'll be extremely amused once StoryPath conversions for WoD start rolling over everything. The system sounds hella legit and free of many sacred cows WoD proper has yet to slaughter.
>>44060787
>>44060887

Do you see NOW why we need more funding for those orbital defense grids on our colonies?
>>
>>44060905
That I might was well just go live in SEA since they have traps and cheap drugs, we are truly in a world of lightness
>>
>>44060907

My only problem with a potential WoD conversion of StoryPath is that it's clary made to be an action game. Then again, I suppose that's never stopped people running WoD with action heavy stories, so yeah.

Totally hyped to see a Exalted in StoryPath hack, though.
>>
>>44060706
>I mean, in nWoD 1e you technically where supposed to only get, like, 3xp in an average session
Sure, but you'd regularly be getting 4 if you did anything noteworthy or cool in a session (or 5 if you gave your character a Flaw and it came up), and it's important not to forget that every few sessions you'd be getting another 3 or so bonus XP on top of your session XP for completing a story. It averages out closer to 5 XP per session if you're playing by the book, and most people handed out more XP than the book said to.

It's also worth noting that unless you were buying the fourth or fifth dot of something 2e costs-per-Beat are more expensive than 1e costs-per-XP, meaning that the only thing that benefits from 2e costs is power-stat. Unless you're engaging in furious beancounting (or multiplying everybody's XP by the number of players in the group, like someone in here suggested), 2e is more expensive than 1e. The amount of effort required to get 4 Beats in a 2e session is significantly more than the amount of effort required to get 4 XP in a 1e session. You also need to devote this effort to "getting XP" DURING PLAY, which makes the game feel really metagamey in practice. I've noticed myself having my character make a decision just based on the fact that the other options don't generate XP pretty regularly just to try to maintain the inflow of Beats that the 2e costs seem to expect everyone will be getting.
>>
>>44060907
>free of many sacred cows WoD proper has yet to slaughter.
Which ones?

>>44060945
Isn't South-East Asia a shithole?

>>44060962
I think that as long as certain aspects can be ported over (like Humanity or Harmony or Integrity, or other things that encourage the theme) it isn't really much of a problem. I mean, what makes World of Darkness, 2e especially, a horror game isn't the base mechanics--although they do encourage a grittier tone--it's the way that the additional add-on mechanics work to further the theme.
>>
>>44060771
>They're literally one of the best additions. And integrated strongly into the game. why would anyone want to get rid of them?
Because you have to stop the game every time somebody gets or loses a Condition, unless you're playing over text chat or you bought Condition cards (and using Condition cards just exascerbates the "Conditions are repetitive" problem someone brought up). Conditions fucking murder the flow of sessions.

I too thought they were a great addition to the game, until I tried actually using them in game.
>>
>>44060771
>(and really they should ask for more, like asking if they can get Spooked or Swooning or Inspired or Informed for doing things).
Having to stop and ask "Does this get me a Condition?" and then the ST having to make one up on the spot (or once again recycle a Condition you've already seen dozens of times) all the time is a problem.
>>
>>44060998
Not that bad and you can live like a king on more or less nothing and most company's love westerns as they make them look cosmopolitan, plus theirs always teaching English. The laws on buying land are fucking retarded in thailand and I think Vietnam though.
>>
>>44060986
Almost everything in 2e also does more, so judging it by "this is how much a dot costs" is a bad way of looking at it. I don't really have a problem with experience growth being slower. I just feel that it's not as slow as people seem to think. Especially since Conditions are something that players have control of more than previously. If you want to Beat Whore--and a lot of the supernaturals have that option in spades, Beasts in particular--you definitely can get over 5XP worth in a single session.

I don't really see that as being metagamey, but then again I love mechanics that bribe the players to encourage a better story. I like carrot and stick mechanics. "If you let the villain capture you, you can have a Hero Point" and "I think I should get tagged with an Aspect here, this scene is Dark And Scary".

I mean, the options that generate Beats are *usually* more interesting than the ones that don't, because you get Beats by EXPERIENCING things. I mean, after all, they are called "Dramatic Beats".

>>44061047
No more so than any other status effect in a game. WoD 1e was actually pretty unique in not having a list of pre-made status effects. Instead of Sleep, Confused, Paralysed, Stunned, Staggered, Fatigued it just had every individual power say what ongoing effect it had.
>>
>>44061120
>I don't really have a problem with experience growth being slower. I just feel that it's not as slow as people seem to think.
I've been playing in multiple 2e games since they came out, and trust me - it's really fucking slow. Your games seem to have faster advancement than the rest of us, and that's great, but that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't actually having the problems we're saying we're having.

>I like carrot and stick mechanics. "If you let the villain capture you, you can have a Hero Point" and "I think I should get tagged with an Aspect here, this scene is Dark And Scary".
I like them too - tying them into the character-advancement resource is part of why WoD's implementation of the concept is such a clusterfuck.
>>
>>44061120
>If you want to Beat Whore--and a lot of the supernaturals have that option in spades, Beasts in particular--you definitely can get over 5XP worth in a single session.
I don't want to HAVE to Beat Whore. The very fact that I have to decide whether or not I'm going to Beat Whore in a session is a problem.
>>
>>44061120
>WoD 1e was actually pretty unique in not having a list of pre-made status effects. Instead of Sleep, Confused, Paralysed, Stunned, Staggered, Fatigued it just had every individual power say what ongoing effect it had.
You will note that in other games, you don't need to get yourself Confused, Paralyzed, Stunned, or Staggered, and then cure it, in order to get the XP you should be getting in a session.
>>
>>44060998
>Isn't South-East Asia a shithole?
Everyone there is Muslim, but that doesn't mean the place is a shithole. Stop being such an Islamophobe, anon.
>>
>>44060962
>Totally hyped to see a Exalted in StoryPath hack, though.
SAME. Ex3 seems okay, but not quite in the way it could have been. Oh well, with enough people on it things might end up looking good.
>My only problem with a potential WoD conversion of StoryPath is that it's clary made to be an action game. Then again, I suppose that's never stopped people running WoD with action heavy stories, so yeah.
Well, Hunter, Werewolf and Vampire totally have the required prerequisites for playing them as hyperparanoid action. The rest not so much of course.
>>
>>44061252
The only places in SEA are really Indonesia,Malaysia,the Shan and Yuan. The good bits of SEA Thailand,Laos and Burma are mostly Buddhists.
>>
>>44061177
>>44061197
>>44061213
>Your games seem to have faster advancement than the rest of us,
I don't have any ;_;
I don't really see the problem with tying it to character advancement, though. I mean, I'm fond of the fact that I can bribe the ST and say "hey, I'm feeling pretty Confused here, aren't I?" instead of having to wait around for the status effect.

>>44061252
I assumed "South-East Asia" meant Thailand and Taiwan and other places that aren't Japan or China (and maybe Korea). And probably parts of China, too. Not necessarily Indonesia.
>>
>>44060700
>+Loci cannot form away from life
I shall link you...thuss
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1959
Clearly he's either someone who got claimed by the spirit of a Quasar, or a really unlucky Mastigos.
>>
>>44060858
UUUU-LAAA!
>>
>>44061322
Loas,Vietnam,Thailand,Burma and I guess you could say Yunnan are what I was on about. Golden triangle best place in the world.
>>
>>44061322
>Doesn't actually play games
>Insists he knows how Beats work in practice better than those of us who do have games and have been using the Beats system
Did you miss the guy who went "Beats sound great, as an idea, until you actually sit down and use them"?
>>
>>44061507
But the people who say that aren't using them. They're saying they don't want to use them. >>44061197
>I don't want to HAVE to Beat Whore.
I mean, anything's better than the system I've been using, which is "oh, right, like five sessions have passed. Uh, did anyone want any merits?"
Beats are an extension of systems I've liked in the past.

>>44061409
Isn't Burma dealing with heavy shit lately?
>The income gap in Myanmar is among the widest in the world, as a large proportion of the economy is controlled by supporters of the former military government.[22][23] As of 2013, according to the Human Development Index (HDI), Myanmar had a low level of human development, ranking 150 out of 187 countries.[4]
>>
>>44061552
>I don't want to HAVE to Beat Whore.
As the guy who said that: I've been using Beats in multiple games for months. I said that because, when playing in games using Beats, I'm constantly having to decide whether or not I want to Beat Whore (and when I don't, nobody gets enough Beats, because Group Beats is the worst fucking rule).
>>
>>44061552
Sorta theirs separatist militias for all the non Burmese ethnicity's, then theirs government supporting militias. All of these are cooking or tracking yaba (Meth pills with Caffeine to make easier to smoke) Ice (Good purity meth) and some allso grow and sell heroin. The minority making drugs also happens in thailand and Laos. But its been going on since before the 60s and they know not to kill westerners since it looks bad on them, the nation and the Chinese triads bank rolling the labs don't want more heat.
>>
>>44061759
Grow poppies to make heroin, fuck should have caught that one. The Highland tribes in thailand also grow poppies to make opium too.
>>
>>44061027
Why do you stop the game when someone gets a condition? That doesn't really make sense.
>>
>>44061831
Multiple people talking over each other leads to nobody knowing what's going on, and when somebody rolls an exceptional success and generates a condition they want to know what it is as soon as possible because that's how they get XP.
>>
>>44061831
I've never had a problem keeping track of Conditions in my Mortals game. Online it's even easier, just send them a PM of the Condition and they can reply when it's resolved to claim their Beat.
>>
>>44061851
Except it should take 10 seconds to tell them their condition. No longer.
>>
First time player of WoD here, been about 10 sessions.

Is it normal for all the leads/missions to revolve around one player each time?
We have 6 players usually but its really feeling like everything is about one player and the rest of us are just expected to help them do it all.

God Machine is the one we are playing if that matters.
>>
>>44061941

In my group it was, everything resolved around the ST's bf
>>
>>44061670
̶i̶f̶/when I run my game, I'm going to have to take detailed notes of how I use Conditions and give out beats to see what works and what doesn't.
>>
>>44061851
Did you actually read the Conditions section? It's as easy as saying "you get a +2 to any rolls based off X for the remainder of the scene" you don't -have- to give it a fancy name or anything.

Though, since I'm autistic, I prewrite a bunch of Conditions for exceptional mental / phys / and social rolls and then just pick which one to give.
>>
>>44061975
Starting to feel done with it. At first it wasn't a big deal but recently that player has become a bossy dick to everyone.
I'm just thinking are we really just playing this game so the ST can jack him off over his character?
>>
>>44061941
If you have an issue, bring it up with the ST; some games, it makes sense for the plot to revolve around one character, while others it's just clear ST favoritism

EG in a game I ran a while back, the first session started with the Detective checking out a dead body someone found, and that was the launching point for the whole game/the first story. Because it was related to murder, and he was a homicide detective, the first story kept coming back to him and what he wanted to do.

The next story, by my plan, was a Changeling going around burning houses down while they had people in them. It was still murder related, but I planted a seed for them to investigate for it during the first story; one of the other players was a leader of a cult(he took Mystery Cult Initiation 4, so he was *technically* a regional leader, not the head of the whole thing), and the cult's whole thing was awareness of everything. He took Clairvoyance with it, and I had him get a call from another regional leader guy who had Precognition through dreams. He dumped a bit of info on them, mostly just me trying to finally get the group to meet up since they'd previously been investigating the murder from a bunch of different angles alone, but I ended it all with him mentioning the last thing he saw before he woke up was a bird in the shape of a fire, but noting it might be unrelated to the PC group.

The plan was, after they dealt with the vampire who the whole murder thing was about, they would hear about the Changeling's shenanigans through one of the cult dude's followers, with a specific mention of a 'bird of flame' seen flying away from the house.

The game ended before I could get to that, though, so w/e. Point is, if it makes sense that the story is revolving around that one character, but you want more attention on your/other characters, let the ST know; if it doesn't make sense, also let the ST know.
>>
>>44062189
The thing is everything that revolves around this other character is not relevant to the bigger plan.

The plot is our characters were hired for a big heist to steal an ancient relic from a wealthy city-state on some island, like megarich Cuba. We are supposed to integrate into the society while stealing the 'keys' for the vault. Anything that has involved a lead for the keys or the relic has come from our employer, and it has had to do with each of us.

In between those we are free to do as we please, and each of us has done our own 'side missions', usually between sessions using online messengers. Sometimes the events are bigger and have taken the rest of the party to go be a part of, usually getting nothing out of it but also not really being at a real risk.

However one party member, who has gotten the most of these leads, always needs everyone to help them, usually turns out to be extremely dangerous, where the threats often go after everyone else except that player, and have made other players just sit out for a full session or two in a hospital, and still get nothing out of it while the 'main player' gets new stuff or special conditions met. They don't have anything like special contacts or fame or those social-type merits, so I am just getting confused why they get so many and the rest of us are the ones that get hurt for it, even if we are trying to be behind them.
>>
>>44061552

The problem with the Beat/Condition system that's not in other, similar games is that the system is directly tied to a system of advancement. Fate, for example, uses Aspects and Fate Points (which 2e bases its system off of) but they're explicitly not used for advancement, they're used as a metagame tool. Ideally, Beats should be more like that, but WoD already has a metagame tool at the ready: Willpower.

Personally, I think it's time to ditch traditional XP for WoD. Something like tagging or Apocalypse World's advances might be better for it in the long run.
>>
>>44062828
No, the Apocalypse World system is garbage. You'd have to redesign the whole mechanics of WoD to make that work. It's narrativist enough, let's not contaminate it anymore.
>>
I was thinking about one of the arguments in the last thread (the bit about pronouns) while musing over something else, and it got me thinking about Spirits and conceptualism.

Mostly I was wondering how deaf people conceptualize their thoughts (i.e. I tend to "hear" my thoughts; do they 'see' the hand gestures, or text, or even 'feel' the gestures?) and that got me remembering the bit about pronouns, and making up words, and the way that "liberals" tend to make up words for concepts that probably existed but didn't have terms for them. "Transgenderism" or "pansexual" or "biromantic", that kind of thing.

In general the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis/Linguistic Relativity is an insane and awesome concept, but for the most part, I'm curious how it works within the World of Darkness. Are there Spirits of Pronouns? Are there Spirits that didn't exist until we had ways to conceptualize them? Is there a Spirit of Roman Sexuality that differs from the Spirit of Modern Western Sexuality in that modern Western culture considers your sexuality to be based on the gender of your partners, while Romans put more stock in your position within the act?

Do spirits for concepts that don't exist or are hard to translate into English have trouble effecting English speakers? Or am I thinking about it wrong, and there's no Spirit of Backpfeifengesicht?

Are these things a Spirit matter, or more of something in the Astral?

I'm remembering a scene from Heroes where someone is trying to read Noah Bennet (HRG)'s mind, and he starts thinking in Japanese. And in failing to find that scene on Youtube, I'm also remembering in Evangelion when Asuka tells Shinji "stop thinking in Japanese, you're supposed to be thinking in German"
>>
>>44062879
This is nonsensical garbage and I clearly shouldn't have drank coffee and had a nap instead.

But Linguistical Relativism is an interesting subject. Google "Language shapes thought" for some cool reads.

>>44062869
It's funny because a lot of people I talk to think that WoD is too crunchy.

>>44062828
what's Tagging?
>>
>>44059976
Okay, first time going to GM Mage, got some questions.
1) Paradox seems really... weak. RAW Mages with Gnosis 1-3 suffer very little from it, and bashing backlash heals really quickly. Is it as weak as it seems?
2) Not a big fan of a Wisdom either. What purpose it serves in the game? It is really restrictive, but aside from a few social penalties. low Wisdom doesn't really hurt. Why should try to keep it high?
>>
>>44062966
>1) Paradox seems really... weak.
That's because 1e nWoD didn't really understand the concept of mechanics that match the fluff.
>What purpose [does Wisdom] serve in the game?
It's Morality, but for wizards. At least in 1e. In 2e it actually measures your Wisdom, and is involved in a lot of dice pools to limit the much more meaningful Paradox. Although I think it does that in 1e, on the rare occasion it matters.

Honestly, I'd suggest reading over the 2e Dev Blogs and using them to convert your Mage game to 2e. That corebook will be out Soon™
>>
>>44062966
Also extended (ritual) casting seems kinda broken. Any idea how to fix it?
>>
>>44063140
>Also extended (ritual) casting seems kinda broken. Any idea how to fix it?
Feature not bug etc.
>>
>>44063140
Don't use it.
This is another thing 2e fixes. You take the time to cast and you only roll once, modifying the dice pool for each Yantra (magical tool) that you use as well as the Spell Factors. I believe each Yantra adds another increment of time to the casting, so if it takes an hour for each roll, adding a symbolic focus adds another hour and so does using High Speech, but in total that gives you +4 to the roll, which helps when you want to get -8 on the dice pool to up the Potency or whatever.

In 2e you also don't get bonus Potency based on successes, only by using Spell Factors (and I think you get free Potency equal to Arcana?) meaning you want to reduce your dice pool a lot when you cast (meaning you also want to increase your dice pool). The default action for magic is also an Extended casting (so every spell would take an hour) but you spend "Reach" to make it Instant. Reach is also the measure of how much STUFF you can do with a spell before you get all Paradoxical.

>>44063187
No it isn't. That's why it's getting changed hardcore. No more Potency 30 Diplomat's Protection, or temporally hung super punches that add 30 dice
>>
>>44063068
>Honestly, I'd suggest reading over the 2e Dev Blogs and using them to convert your Mage game to 2e. That corebook will be out Soon™
The main thing that concers me is a Paradox, and I can't rebuild the new system for it from dev blog. Maybe somebody already done that?
>>
>>44062869

>2015
>Still using GNS theory

The way Beats work are already AW's XP system, just with the added granularity of having that version of XP convert to traditional XP. It wouldn't be that difficult to set up (Probably that every X Beats gives you a free dot to put in something with Power Stat auto increasing based on X dots earned), save that WoD really wants a slow progressing advancement system. Ultimately, though, I think Tagging is a better option.

>>44062916

To put it in a WoD context:

When you write up an Aspiration, you tag two or three aspects of your sheet to it. These are usually skills, but for more esoteric or long term Aspirations, these can include Attributes, Merits, Derived Attributes, powers, and even the Power Stat.

When an Aspiration is fufilled, the tagged parts of the sheet increase, usually by one. Less bean counting and advancement keeps its slow trickle while still feeling satisfying.
>>
>>44061941
It can sometimes be like that, but there should be reasons your group is in this together and have common group goals.
>>
>>44063283
Pretty sure you can.
http://theonyxpath.com/paradoxical/
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mage-the-awakening/314-stop-gap-god-machine-mechanics-for-mage
Just use existing Paradox where necessary. For the tables and all that.

>>44063370
I had a similar thing in a system I was making. Any time you used a skill during a session, you'd get a Mark. Then at the end of each session you'd roll to see if you increased your trait, with a bonus equal to your total Marks.
Although it was d%, and you rolled the inverse, +5% for each Mark. So if your Skill was 20 and you had one Mark, you'd roll under 85%. If you Skill was 80 and you had one Mark, you'd roll under 25%
>>
>>44063283
>The main thing that concers me is a Paradox, and I can't rebuild the new system for it from dev blog.
Sure you can. I've been using the new Paradox mechanics for months, and I don't have any more access to the "real" writeup than the rest of you.
>>
File: table raaaaagh.gif (549 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
table raaaaagh.gif
549 KB, 1200x800
>co player has a True Friend
>thinks out loud about making her Stigmatic
Why... WHY would you do that? As far as rape analogies go this is less than a half-step from ghouling someone.
>>
>>44063560
>http://theonyxpath.com/paradoxical/
On rereading this:
>In order to get the spell to last an appreciable amount of time, he’ll have to Reach. Using one of his two Reach switches it to the advanced duration spell factor, where his Arcanum mastery nets him a week. He doesn’t fancy recasting this spell every week, though, so takes a 2-dice penalty to his casting roll to make it last a month.
I think I can reconstruct at least half of the Advanced Duration table (at least, as it existed as of that spoiler blog), based on that, and the fact that Dave has said elsewhere that increasing spell factors in 2e still knocks off two dice each.
-0 dice: 1 scene
-2 dice: 1 day (24 hours)
-4 dice: 1 week
-6 dice: 1 month
Now we get into speculation territory:
-8 dice: 1 year
-10 dice + 1 additional Reach: Indefinite

Casting Indefinite spells for which Duration isn't the primary spell factor is going to be brutal.
>>
>>44063582
What?
That doesn't make sense.

>>44063655
Seems good.
>>
File: Magical Howling Full Moon-chan.png (194 KB, 500x686) Image search: [Google]
Magical Howling Full Moon-chan.png
194 KB, 500x686
Apparently Hunter was the wrong splat for magical girls.
>>
>>44063717
>Apparently Hunter was the wrong splat for magical girls.
Totems totally work as "arch" familiars/power sources such as the Galaxy Cauldron in Sailor Moon or the Queen of Light in Futari Wa Pretty Cure.
>>
File: SahnS8a.png (655 KB, 1912x2832) Image search: [Google]
SahnS8a.png
655 KB, 1912x2832
For the person who was talking about pregnant werewolves being doted upon and coddled instead of being in the field.
>>
File: The Pack and their Totem.jpg (147 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
The Pack and their Totem.jpg
147 KB, 640x480
>>44063756
How do I even handle a Totem?

Pic related?
>>
>>44063854
Kinda. Way I handle it is that the pack's spirit keeps them abreast of the spiritual landscape and the goings-on, and occasionally drops a request or demand on them.
>>
>>44061400

Some Werewolf named Thunder-Child wrecking Vampire faces until they're overwhelmed by some form of horrible blood magic.
>>
Question about patchwork covers for demons. What things would I not take from other sources. For instance, would I just make up their appearance or would I need to actually take someones hair colour/eye colour? Obviously any family would need to be acquired, but when about their last name? Or would such superficial things be completely up to the demon when creating it?
>>
>>44063854
(Person you responded to).
Ya more or less, with perhaps a bit more involvement in the vein of a police procedural/PI show boss. Equally bitchy too perhaps...

Actually, any WtF devs here wanna take a stab at translating YOU'RE A LOOSE GUN into First Tongue?
>>
>>44064001

Could always ask on the OPP forums: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/werewolf-the-forsaken/127887-doing-first-tongue-translations

There's also a method of making your own translations, if you had the time and the knowledge of Sumerian.
>>
>>44063826
Werewolf anatomy and physiology starts out as human anatomy and physiology, though. They'd inherit whatever freakish evolutionary ancestry we have.
>>
>>44064306
Not him, but I'm pretty sure "gun" is hard to translate into Sumerian.
>>
>>44064433

In First Tongue, it appears to be "ufuful-rih" from the same root as "sword".
>>
>>44063978
You only take what you request, and you gain nothing else. If you don't take someone's hair/appearance, then it's something nobody else finds memorable about your cover.
If you bargain with Joe, the guy who works in the cubicle at the end of the row, and has a bunch of cat stickers on his computer, for his job, all people are going to remember about you is that you're the guy with the cubicle at the end of the row. They won't know a name, a face, or anything else.
That's why patchwork covers are patchwork; they're barebones as fuck, and enough of a non-identity that most angels will see through them without too much effort.

Granted, if you bargain with Joe for his job, Mike for his name, and Adam, the hottest guy in the office, for his appearance, then anybody at the company Joe worked at will know you as Mike, that guy at the end of the row who all the gals and some of the guys will drop their pants for if he ever even looks at them. That's more of a cover, and might actually hold off suspicion from angels. At least, until Mike goes home to a place nobody can remember the location or appearance of, where nobody else knows who he is.

Generally, though, this is why Soul contracts are so great; instead of having to piece a cover together from multiple contracts that won't hold up to scrutiny very well, you get one that holds up flawlessly as long as you don't do anything super strange
>>
>>44064697
I feel like it's important to imagine Patchwork Covers as being more than just the barebones. After all, they get a bonus to being broken when they're over 5 dots. So you aren't going home to a place that doesn't exist, you're getting a house made out of the same Infrastructure that your other Covers are made of. You wouldn't get JUST a name or JUST the appearance. You're crafting a new persona. It exists totally when you have at least 1 dot. It's just that it exists... glitchy. Like an obvious apartment that doesn't exist down in the basement despite being filled with furniture that is a copy of furniture from elsewhere in the building, and fifteen of the same suits.
>>
So, I'm thinking about the Sin-eater2e thing (I don't update it every time I have a thought). Specifically the Curse.

First off, I'm wondering if, thematically, there should be a Blessing Manifestation (perhaps with a more ghost themed name) for the positive benefits that ghosts can give in fiction. But more than that, I'm wondering if I should play off of this aspect of The Curse that encourages people to fuck up their lives for a bit of relief.

>Curse
>Presence; The Curse as a Manifestation poisons the victim with Plasm, infecting them with a sense of unease and even dread. Unlike other Manifestations, the Curse tends to be long term instead of scene length. The effect lasts a number of days equal to Presence+Key, but can be extended by paying 3p and 1WP. The basic effect of Curse gives the Cursed Condition, and additional penalties can be added by purchasing Unlocks. Each Unlock has to be added in by paying additional plasm when activating the Curse, and don’t need to be all activated at the same time.
>The Curse is always rolled as Presence + Skill + Key vs the lower of Resolve or Composure + Psyche.

>Cursed (Persistent)
>You’ve met with a terrible fate. You lose the 10-again property on all of your rolls, and Willpower only provides +2 when spent actively and +1 when adding to a Resistance Attribute.
>Possible Sources: The Curse Manifestation, angering a fortune teller,
>Resolution: Lose a dot of Integrity, dramatically fail a roll.
>Beat: Fail a roll because of the Curse, take an action because of the curse

For a lot of the Curses, Willpower gets limited in certain ways, and in a few of them you can add a Beat situation for the Condition that's basically "confess to some horrible thing you did and you get a Beat/Willpower". I'm thinking I might make that kind of thing the actual focus of the Manifestation. Guiding people to DO things, generally as penance for some crime or offense.

Basically, more of that carrot and stick game design.
>>
>>44065277
Reposting these from the Doc. Keep in mind they're just suggestions and ideas.

Basically the Unlocks that you can get would modify the base Curse, adding different Penalties. I'm trying to avoid having any of them do the same thing as other Curses, mostly because one of the things Geist 1e does is a LOT of the powers do the same fucking thing as other powers.

>Cold Wind Curse
Add -[Key] Dexterity to the Curse
Require Dexterity + Athletics rolls for simple tasks, or the victim suffers Knockdown
Add “push someone away” as a Beat to the Curse
Agoraphobia means victim must spend a Willpower point to go outside

>Grave-Dirt Curse
-[Key] to Strength rolls
Claustrophobia means victim must spend a Willpower point to go inside
No Willpower from sleeping
Speed is halved due to unstable, mucky ground
Add “confess to a Breaking Point” as a Beat

>Pyre-Flame Curse
[Key] penalty to all Wits rolls
Add “betray an ally” as a Beat
Fire related things don’t work (Cars, guns, gas stoves)
Must spend WP to interact with others

>Tear-Stained Curse
Hydrophobia (spend Willpower to be near or use water)
Depression (lose a point of Willpower if you fail a roll you spent Willpower on)
Add “admitting your Vice” as a Beat

>Industrial Curse
[Key] penalty to all Crafts rolls
Invert Equipment bonus (+3 is -3)
Deal damage to Structure each time something is used
Failure on a roll using equipment gives 1B

>Passion Curse
Victim is Leveraged by or Swooning towards everyone
Preventing the victim from fulfilling an Aspiration grants a Beat
[Key] as penalty to Manipulation rolls
>>
>>44065303
I'm also thinking about ways to make some of the Keys more diverse. As I've mentioned in the Suggestions of the doc, the Elemental Keys are really difficult. Stillness, Stigmata, and Stygian also have a bit of overlap in certain areas. As do Phantasmal/Silent/Passion in others.

>Phantasmal Curse
Cause the victim to see and hear hallucinations
Give the victim false thoughts
[Key] penalty to composure
Give Intoxicated Condition

>Primeval Curse
[Key] penalty to Animal Ken
Animals under Size 2 follow the victim around
Animals regain Willpower for harming or hindering the character

>Stigmata Curse
The victim takes 1B every hour from intense bleeding
Target gains the Anchor Condition so long as they’re bleeding
Any time the victim takes damage, they suffer an additional 1B
3p the target fades into Twilight

>Stillness Curse
People must spend 1WP to interact with the victim socially
[Key] penalty to Resolve
5p victim fails all social rolls and can’t tell people apart/understand speech without spending a point of Willpower
Victim loses access to social merits

>Stygian Curse
Give Lethargic Condition
Must Spend Willpower to wake up
Cannot regain Willpower through Vice/Virtue, the equivalent, or interacting with Touchstones or True Friends
Must spend Willpower to eat. Or to have sex, and also they’re impotent, because why not.
Victim can regain WP through self-harm
>>
>>44065277

You could stand to make the Curses simpler. There's a metric fuck load of stuff being unleashed that I end up seeing as "this is going to be a lot of bookkeeping on my end". I'd say losing X-again for the base Cursed is plenty. Maybe slim down your keys to one big Curse effect, too. The extra add a beat option seems fine as is.
>>
>>>/soc/22926371
>>
>>44064553
>>44064433
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gun
Could work off of that.
>>
>>44065612

Nice scratches
>>
>>44065612

Well, it's not like Aspel keeps it a secret. They've said they're on F-list countless times, and I assume that's a website about internet sexual situations.
>>
>>44065374
>must spend WP to wake up
That's pretty brutal, as it removes the primary means of guaranteed WP gain.
>>
>>44065675
It's an ERP website, yeah (although almost nobody who got there via /tg/ who still talks about games does any ERPing by this point).
>>
>>44065533
No, no. Each line is an option. You purchase each Unlock separately. So your Stillness Curse starts out with nothing, but you can buy the Unlock that adds a penalty equal to your dots in Stillness to their Resolve score, as well as the one that strips people of their Social Merits. That doesn't mean you'd have the other abilities, though. It basically lets you choose how you want to Curse someone.

>>44065612
Yes, and...?

>>44065675
Pretty much. It's a website for erotic roleplay. It's pretty furry and is owned by Bad Dragon, although the F ostensibly stands for Fetish, and there are enough non-furry characters.

>>44065756
H-hey, I'll RP! One day. Maybe.
I mean, I'm trying to get Werewolf started, so that's not ERP, but it still counts as doing something.
Also, I don't think /tg/chat is as bad about not playing as /erpg/ is
>>
>>44065740
Eh. It's *A* means of Willpower gain, but getting it from Vice or Virtue is more common. Although I did add "spend it to wake up" in the same set of Unlocks as "can't get it from Vice/Virtue/Touchstones/True Friends"...

I should do one or the other.
>>
>>44065847
>Eh. It's *A* means of Willpower gain, but getting it from Vice or Virtue is more common.
Not usually? Especially with the "significantly inconvenience yourself" caveat. To get it from waking up all you need to do is continue to exist for another 24 hours, and spend 8 of those unconscious and relatively comfortable.
>>
>>44065791
>Also, I don't think /tg/chat is as bad about not playing as /erpg/ is
That's why I included the "and still talks about games". Or is /tg/ chat actually still primarily a room for the discussion of traditional games?
>>
>>44065922
>Especially with the "significantly inconvenience yourself" caveat.
That was rarely much of a problem in 1e, and it no longer really exists in 2e.
Vice/Virtue is the main way to get it back.

>>44065939
>is /tg/ chat actually still primarily a room for the discussion of traditional games?
No. But some of those 200 or so people in the room probably typefuck without going "ugh, I'm so burned out and unmotivated"
>>
>>44065995
>No. But some of those 200 or so people in the room probably typefuck without going "ugh, I'm so burned out and unmotivated"
SHOTS.
FIRED.
>>
>>44065995
>But some of those 200 or so people in the room probably typefuck without going "ugh, I'm so burned out and unmotivated"
Again: nobody in there who got there via /tg/ *and still talks about games* does any ERPing by this point. It seems to be one or the other.

Anyway this is a silly argument to be having in an unrelated thread.
>>
>>44065995
>That was rarely much of a problem in 1e
Really? In games I was in that ran for like 18 months, we had people getting WP back from virtue or vice maybe three times per person over the course of the entire campaign.
>>
Vampire the Masquerade: You have two cows. Your Elder wants the cows for himself, so he send you on a suicide mission and claims them as his own. The cows turn out to actually be Gangrels in disguise.

Werewolf the Apocalypse: You have two cows. They become corrupted by a mad primordial spirit and you are forced to put them down for the greater good. But is it enough?

Mage the Ascension: You don't necessarily have two cows, but rather you have them because you believe you do. One day you realize there is nothing in this universe preventing you from having more cows, so you suddenly have 1000. This causes a Paradox that destroys you.

You remember when you had two cows---

Vampire the Requiem: You have two cows. You feed on their blood. One day, their blood fails to sate you. The time you have been dreading has come, and you will need to consume human blood to survive.

Werewolf the Forsaken: You have two cows. You accidentally kill one in a fit of rage. Then the other gets eaten by an otherworldly entity.

Mage the Awakening: You have two "cows." They come from a different world. You are studying them.

Promethean the Created: You have two cows. You hope that by caring for them you will find a sense of purpose in this world and perhaps discover your place in it.

Changeling the Lost: Two cows have you. They took you away from your life and home. One day, you escape from them, and you must go into hiding lest they find you again. But you are not what you once were. Are you more man, or are you more cow?

Demon the Descent: You have two cows. One is actually a highly sophisticated surveillance system disguised as a cow. It alerts the Angels to your presence and they burn your farm to the ground. You are forced to abandon your identity as a farmer and become a stock broker in the city.
>>
>>44065791

>So your Stillness Curse starts out with nothing, but you can buy the Unlock that adds a penalty equal to your dots in Stillness to their Resolve score, as well as the one that strips people of their Social Merits. That doesn't mean you'd have the other abilities, though. It basically lets you choose how you want to Curse someone.

That's a little better, then, but why does it start out with nothing? Wouldn't it make sense player to have the penalty by default and THEN unlock the cooler stuff?
>>
>>44066058
Sounds like a case of not trying very hard or the ST being too harsh of a judge.
>>
>>44066058
I never wanted for Willpower. I'd even say "that was pretty Lusty/Fortitudinous, wasn't it?"
Although the ST also gave Willpower for Exceptional Successes.

>>44066036
They're fired at myself :V

>>44066088
Purchasing a Manifestation costs 4xp, and you get a free Unlock of any Key you have. So you buy the basic Curse and you get at least one option to alter the basic Curse Condition. You can check out the Google Doc at the top of the page. Page 7 for this.
>Gaining access to a new suite of Manifestations is 4xp.
>Each Unlock is 2xp for ones in your Affinity Keys and 3xp for ones outside of your Affinity.
>Each Key is rated 1-5 and costs 3xp per dot.
>Each new Key dot gives you a related Unlock for free.
>Clash of Wills is Psyche+Key
>Each Unlock that has a roll uses the Manifestation’s Attribute and the Key’s Skill
>Each Manifestation has a “generic” power, although I’m realizing that might not be necessary since you’ll never have a “naked” Manifestation…
>>
>>44066076
>You remember when you had two cows---
You forgot the "Wraith" label on that one.
>>
>>44066155
Yeah, I was copying it from ̶F̶-̶l̶i̶s̶t̶IRC and Wraith was at the bottom. For some reason when I highlighted and moved it, the "Wraith:" part got lost.
>>
>>44066076
>Mage the Awakening: You have two "cows." They come from a different world. You are studying them

There are no "cows." Such willful deception and ignorance serves the Lie.

If and when you Awaken, only then will your soul experience the essential symbols of the Bovine Truth!
>>
>>44066076
Hunter the Vigil: You have two cows. Somebody--or something--else wants them, but you're determined to keep them safe. Even if it means murder.

Beast the Primordial: You have two cows. You're friends with a community of other farmers, and each of you have two cows. While having cows is nice, you can't really get by with just milk, so you tend to steal from the people in town a lot. Sometimes the other farmers help you.

Geist the Sin-Eaters: You have two cows. They ran away, but some friendly stranger brought them back on the condition that you let him live with you. On the plus side, your cows are looking a lot healthier than they used to, with this guy around.

Mummy The Curse: You had two cows. It's been a while since you've had cows, but a group of people recently dropped two calves off at your doorstep, and decided you had to raise them and care for them. Luckily, they left their number, and they swing by every so often to help out.

We are now getting to things I'm not totally familiar with.
Changeling the Dreaming: You have to cows. Your parents gave these cows to you; one of them is a pretty normal cow, but the other one acts...strangely. You do your best to handle the two cows, and the disparity between them, but god does this shit get confusing.

Hunter The Reckoning: You have two cows. Someone gave them to you, and told you to keep them safe, but the lands beyond your farm are filled with danger, and the two cattle keep trying to wander off.

Demon the Fallen: You have two cows. Technically, you don't have two cows, but whoever owned this house before you did, and nobody seems to realize you're not him. You do your best to take his place, and keep this farm running, but sometimes another farmer shows up and tries to take your cows away. Good thing you have a gun.

Orpheus: You have two cows. From time to time, you leave the farm and go to town, to handle some things and help you run the farm better.

How did I do?
>>
>>44062053
>are we really just playing this game so the ST can jack him off over his character?
probably. That seems like about 40% of the community, desu
>>
>>44066778

What is it about WoD and wanting to jack off over characters? You see it in D&D too but WoD is a special kind of it.
>>
The following is your threadly update on Wraith 20:

Rich Dansky has rented a beach house to hold a Wraith 20 writing retreat. Rich Danksy fears that he may pull a Jack Torrence.

This has been your threadly Wraith 20 update.
>>
So, the manifestations are looking really good, but I see one issue. There are... A lot of these, and some stray from the original designs. So I'm thinking, maybe a base effect as well for all combinations, with gifts on top of them, instead of base manifestation powers; ie, Pyre Flame and Rage, if you you have both, you can always deal fire damage at a distance. A base effect that each combo comes with should put these effects on par with Werewolves and Vampires.
>>
>>44066993
Blame Anne Rice.
I do.
Also tends to attract angsty teens who love their self-insert alternates.
>>
Hey Aspel. How about instead of calling them Manifestations, which is dumb, call them Gates or Doors? You know, to go with Keys?
>>
>>44066993
Vampire is their flagship game, and really really really pushes the "vampires are walking sex" bit.
>>
>>44068173

Honestly given that there's so much gate and door imagery in the game, calling them those or just Locks seems like a no brainer.
>>
File: original.jpg (66 KB, 641x360) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
66 KB, 641x360
>>44068835
"Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back."
>>
>>44066993
Have you ever jacked off? Shit's pretty fun.

>>44068063
>There are... A lot of these, and some stray from the original designs.
I know. That's mostly intentional. I was reading over the original Manifestations and they really kind of fucking suck. Just from a mechanical or thematic standpoint. A lot of them barely even make sense, either.

>>44068173
>>44068835
Originally I was going to rename them Unlocks completely, but I realized that I shouldn't outright change any of the existing terms, sort of like how Werewolf still calls them Gifts. The real problem is that "Manifestation" is already a term that's used within the setting and system. Like, why the fuck in your game about ghosts, which have the ability to Manifest and have rules for Manifestation would you call your powers Manifestations? I mean, I get that it's a ghostly term, but it's also a ghostly term that's IN USE.

But after all these years I'm starting to be okay with it. Plus I couldn't think of any other term that conjugates as well. "He used a Discipline" sounds better than "He used a Gate". But that could just be me. Mostly, it's the "don't want to outright change any terminology" aspect, though.
>>
Bring back the Arcanoi! Bring back the Guilds! May Stygia endure for all eternity!
>>
>>44068938

If you're going to change the Manifestations, you're at least going to make them more ghostly in nature, right? Right?

>>44068992

>Hierarchy scum
>laughingrenegades.jpg
>>
>>44069071
That's the idea. I mean, you can check out in the Google Doc at the top of the thread the changes I'm making to Manifestations.

I need to decide which Unlocks to keep, then make up fancy names. Should the Unlocks be even amongst the Manifestations? Three from each Key? Should I have some Manifestation/Key combos be only three Unlocks while others are 5?
>>
>>44069071
>renegades
Oblivion's too good for the likes of you, scum. Though I could use a nice soul-forged jock strap.
>>
>>44060700
>Where these stories come from nobody knows

That Pilgrim dude from one of the books achieved enlightenment (ie said fuck this gay earth) and ascended to the heavens thanks to losing the weight that all that angst was giving him. He now travels space in search for a planet that will not suffer the effects of the wasteland.
>>
>>44069134

I'm gonna be totally honest with you. Unless it's from an actual Onyx Path freelancer or dev, there's no way in hell I'm gonna open up a Google Doc. It's too hard on this computer. Pastebin or bust.
>>
>>44068938
>Have you ever jacked off? Shit's pretty fun.
Lel
>>
File: Sin-eaters2e Version 0.001.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Sin-eaters2e Version 0.001.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44069384
Just for you
>>
>>44068938
The only issue is the sheer XP cost to get the powers. There's a lot of them, so no sin eater will ever get all of them(unlike the original manifestations), so they feel nerfed a little. There are so many more than a werewolf has, and a lot of them don't feel especially strong.
>>
>>44069749
>>44069384
No one ever said faggot-kun didn't care.
>>
>>44070040
He's just such a broken record. Every thread it's like he has the same conversation and the same arguments.
>>
>>44070074
I honestly wouldn't mind him if not for that.
>>
>>44066076
See, that's why being a centimanus is way cooler in PtC.
You could have two cows, but they would turn into a signpost and a rock when you're not around. And if you're not careful, the cows could milk you.
>>
>>44063956
I like it.
>>
>>44069749
Maybe make the facet pricing the same as in Werewolf?
>>
>tfw Mummy
>>
>>44070564
Forgot the image?
>>
>>44070040
Yes they did. Literally the two posts after you, for instance.

>>44070023
Iunno. A few people have said this, but I was actually worried about pricing them too low.
You buy a Manifestation (including a free Unlock) with 4xp. You get an Unlock every time you buy a Key dot as well (3xp). That means the average starting character (if I go three dots of Key and two Manifestations) has five Unlocks total.

I don't really want to go down to 1xp for each individual power, because that would be CRAZY, but... maybe?

>>44070474
I'd have to tweak it so that Manifestations are what you have Affinity for, as opposed to Keys. Alternately you could have Affinity for both, but that might get confusing. I could treat Keys the way that Werewolf treats Renown, and have your Threshold give you a dot free, and maybe some ability related to it (Flaring Renown), but pricing doesn't change.

So your Threshold would give you a free dot of a certain Key, and you'd have Manifestation Affinity from your Geist or Carnival, maybe. Affinity Manifestations are 3xp and non-Affinity are 5xp, with each Unlock being 2xp no matter what.

What do people think of that?

I mean, I know last thread I said I'm not too worried about whether I crib from Werewolf or Mage or Vampire, but at the same time I'm trying not to change what's not broken. Making Keys-as-part-of-Threshold matter was one of my goals, but I'll admit copying Werewolf here might work better.

Which, if that's the case, how should I determine Affinity for the Manifestations? Ghost Kiths?
I really like Ghost Kiths as a concept, but fuck me, naming this shit is hard. I've already got to come up with Unlock names.

>>44070685
Maybe he has no feel. He is like the Buddha, and has transcended feels.
>>
>>44070694
Just ripping off werewolf seems like a good idea... Vampire doesn't really fit. Bringing Geist to their level seems like a good idea. But I think they may need another offensive ability, noon manifestation to balance it out.
>>
>>44070694
>I don't really want to go down to 1xp for each individual power, because that would be CRAZY, but... maybe?
Werewolf goes down to 1 XP specifically for "wolf gifts", which are intended to be extra cheap. Maybe do that for powers where you think 2 XP is too expensive?
>>
>>44070783
That seems like a solid idea.
>>
>>44063560
Could you describe it for me? In details?
>>
>>44070748
>Vampire doesn't really fit.
I didn't mean big things. I've got some Unlocks that are straight up "just like the Vampire power".

>>44070783
>>44070877
How would I determine which ones are they?
I think people are right, and I should just follow Werewolf's guide for now. Or try actually playtesting and doing both.

Also, should I allow the Stigmata or Silent Keys to interact with Spirits?

Should I tweak or strengthen any of the Key themes? Should I make a Spirit Key?

Should non-Stigmata Keys effect Ghosts? That is, should you be able to use Passion Key on a ghost? Maybe I should have that as a Permanent passive Stigmata Caul Unlock. That you can use your Keys on ghosts.
>>
>>44071383
It's described pretty thoroughly in the blog writeup, and the explanation there will probably be clearer, but in general:

All spells out with the following qualities:
- Cast in ritual time
- Targeted on the caster, on someone the caster is touching, or physically aimed and hurled at the target by the caster (i.e. they must simultaneously succeed on an attack roll on the turn they cast the spell, or it misses - just like aimed spells in 1e)
- smaller duration factor table
- smaller area factor table

Changing any of these to the following:
- Cast instantly
- Cast on a target at sensory range with no need to manually aim(1e Pattern-targeting)
- Advanced duration table
- Advanced area table
Consumes 1 Reach.
In addition, many spells will have other options for making the spell more complex that cost additional Reach, and you can expend Reach there instead/as well, if you want. For example, with the spell from the blog, you can suppress ALL of a target's sympathetic links instead of just one for an additional 2 Reach when casting.

When you cast a spell, you have "points" of Reach equal to however many dots your Arcanum rating meets or exceeds the requirement to cast the spell by. For example, if you have Forces 5, then when casting a Making spell of Forces (say, creating a miniature sun out of nothing), you'd have 1 Reach. Enough to cast it instantly. Or to cast it in ritual time and have the duration last a scene instead of a turn. Or to make the sun you create bigger. Casting a Fraying spell of Forces (say, flying by Fraying the gravity holding you to the ground) when you have Forces 5 would net you 3 Reach. That's enough to cast instantly, to grant it to a target at sensory range, and to upgrade Duration, all safely.

You CAN go past your "free" Reach, at which point you risk Paradox based on your Gnosis.
>>
>>44071550
Not him, but how do you handle the actual Paradox effects? What happens if you extend your Reach? What are your Paradox mechanics?

>flying by Fraying the gravity holding you to the ground
Uh... is that a thing you can do?
>>
File: nekki_basara.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
nekki_basara.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
>>44059976
>space vampires
SIVIL
>>
>>44071550
How much Paradox you risk based on Gnosis is unclear. Based on the example the base amount is still Gnosis/2 rounded up, but it's not clear if you add that amount again for every Reach you exceed your "grasp" by or just 1 more die per, since Wolsey only overReached by 1 in the example there.

You also risk Paradox by casting any obviously magical spell in front of at least one Sleeper, regardless of if you exceeded your "grasp" (safe/free Reach) or not. This adds one die of Paradox (so, 1 die if you weren't overReaching, or 1 more die if you were). Multiple Sleepers applies a dice trick, rather than adding yet more dice, the specifics of which are explained in the blog (9-again, 8-again, or rote action on the Paradox roll, depending on how many witnesses are around).

You can knock 2 dice off of your Paradox roll by employing your Dedicated Tool as a yantra in the spell (which also adds +1 die to the spellcasting roll). If this reduces the Paradox pool to 0 or less, it still gets rolled as a chance die.

Once you know you're provoking Paradox, you have two options: Try to contain it, and suffer the effects of the Paradox yourself, or let the Paradox happen, guaranteeing you won't be the primary target but potentially harming any nearby innocent bystanders.

If you decide to contain the Paradox, roll Paradox. Then roll your Wisdom. Every success on the Wisdom roll cancels out a success on the Paradox and converts it to bashing. If there are still successes left over (i.e. you got fewer successes on Wisdom than the Paradox roll got), you suffer a Paradox Condition (these are things like Branding and Bedlam Paradoxes from 1e - Branding is probably a Paradox on a Life spell, while Bedlam is obviously a Paradox on a Mind spell).

If you release the Paradox, and the Paradox gets at least one success, two things happen.
>>
>>44071564
Yes. This was confirmed as possible by Dave in the comments to the Creative Thaumaturgy spoiler. You can also bring back the dead if you have Death 5 by Unmaking their death (although their soul will still be gone, so you'll need to steal them a new one).
>>
>>44060308
Makes me think of someone claimed by a spirit of social media
>>
>>44071599
>If you decide to contain the Paradox, roll Paradox. Then roll your Wisdom. Every success on the Wisdom roll cancels out a success on the Paradox and converts it to bashing.
Wow, that sounds a bit time consuming...
>>
>>44071599
Firstly, your spellcasting pool is reduced by the number of successes on the Paradox roll (this is explicitly NOT the case if you tried to contain the Paradox, regardless of how well you did). Secondly, every success on the Paradox roll either removes a Reach you did want (such as reducing the duration of the spell back to turns, or making it target the guy you're nest to instead of the guy across the room), or adds a Reach that you DIDN'T want. The example given in the devblog is Wolsey's Paradox giving himself a ton of false sympathies that he didn't want, but which was a possible Reach option for the spell. Basically, releasing the spell produces a Havoc Paradox. If it gets ENOUGH successes, it can apply an Environmental Tilt to the area (a 1e Anomaly Paradox), or summon an Abyssal entity (a 1e Manifestation Paradox - which will, again, NOT target the caster primarily. Which may still be very bad news for, say, his family and friends. Or just any innocent bystanders who didn't want to get eaten by a gribbly from the Abyss. And then the Guardians track the caster down and kill him as punishment after the local Arrow finishes killing the thing).

We don't know how many successes produces those yet, so I've had to eyeball a few things.
>>
>>44071539
Shouldn't most Sin Eater abilities affect ghosts? That's their whole bit, isn't it?
>>
>>44071621
It just adds one roll after the Paradox roll, and then only when they contain it AND Paradox does get at least one success.

Containing Paradox was a thing in 1e as well - now how well you actually do at it is tied to Wisdom, rather than being a pure roleplay consideration of "absorbing Backlash feels really awful and horrible in-canon, but there's absolutely nothing mechanical stopping you from automatically entirely containing every Paradox you provoke".
>>
>>44071651
Yeah, but Ghosts (and Spirits) inherently have a different mechanics. Not a big deal, it's just me trying to make Stigmata Key more useful. It's one with a loose thing, mostly "blood and ghosts I guess?"

I should retweak the themes of each Key. Doing so would probably most help the Elemental Keys.

>>44071652
Wasn't containing Paradox in 1e just "take bashing equal to the successes on the Paradox roll"? Seems like having Paradox accrue and then rolling Wisdom to reduce it would be better, instead of a Contested roll against yourself. Although I suppose technically the ST should roll Paradox.
>>
>>44071682
>Wasn't containing Paradox in 1e just "take bashing equal to the successes on the Paradox roll"?
Yes.

>Contested roll against yourself
The Paradox pool isn't a sum of any of your stats, and the ST rolls it.

And hell, Mage did have contested rolls against yourself, when doing goetia. Gnosis+Mind had to beat your own Resolve+Composure in a contested roll.
>>
>>44060700
>+For REASONS interactions with Inferno are far more easy on Mars
>+The pyramids on Mars house several Arisen, though who their cult consists of is anyone's guess
>+Vampires who leave Earth's atmosphere while torpid cannot be re-awakened until brought back to it or another planet with life
These are utterly terrifying.
>>
>>44070694
I say keep with keys having affinity. The keys feel more theme like then manifestation do.
>>
>>44072277
Iunno, I do think there's merit in having the Manifestations be what gets Affinity (although I'm noticing that your Affinity would *mean* less if it was for Manifestations). At one point I was going to have BOTH get an Affinity. But that's probably a bit too complicated.

I think I'll leave it as it is for now, work on expanding the Unlocks, and then come back to it and see how I/people feel and whether the costs are too high or too low or just right.
>>
>>44072324
Well how you have it right now i fail to see how manifestation could work as affinity. Not saying your doing a bad job i just can't see how it would work.
>>
Maybe rename Menagerie to Road. Road defines Passion.
>>
>>44072437
Why Road?

Also, what should be the individual ones, though? I mean, what would be the types of Menagerie/Road/Parade Float? So far that's the thing that's got me stuck at the moment.
>>
File: calm smile sideways.png (136 KB, 1167x770) Image search: [Google]
calm smile sideways.png
136 KB, 1167x770
>>44072437
>Maybe rename Menagerie to Road. Road defines Passion.
Kind of interesting.
>>44072524
I think one way of seeing it is splitting the terminology into an "array" so to say.

Array one: Roads, Yards, Doors, Locks
Array two: Krewes, circuses, troupes, etc.

First is eliciting the idea of journeys, the open land and transitions, second is about entertainment, social gatherings and sensation.

Sound okay?
>>
>>44072593
>I think one way of seeing it is splitting the terminology into an "array" so to say.
>First is eliciting the idea of journeys, the open land and transitions, second is about entertainment, social gatherings and sensation.
That's not really answering the question, SS.
>>
>>44072593
>Yards
:V
I actually do like the idea of naming the "Ghost Kiths" Chambers.
That fits more the door/Key thing.

(I don't want to use Doors for anything because that's already a system term)
>>
>>44072671
>I actually do like the idea of naming the "Ghost Kiths" Chambers.
That works. Slap SS five split onto it and done.
>>
>>44072671
>(I don't want to use Doors for anything because that's already a system term)
Ya was only an example to illustrate the term "array" I suggest using.
>I actually do like the idea of naming the "Ghost Kiths" Chambers.
That might be good, yes.
>>44072635
>That's not really answering the question, SS.
One after the other. I don't want to impose.
>>
>>44072689
>That works. Slap SS five split onto it and done.
What was it again?
>>
>>44072689
SS? Also, I'm thinking these things should have more than just five examples, the same way that Kiths do. Though not 90 of them.

I need to come up with like... 12 iconic reasons a Ghost would want to bond with someone. Then give them iconic names.
>>
File: Five Menageries.png (600 KB, 955x498) Image search: [Google]
Five Menageries.png
600 KB, 955x498
>>44072724
>What was it again?
>>43998455
>Call it Menagerie.
>-Ecstasy (Sensation, experiencing life again)
>-Terror (Vengeance, fucking up someone in the real wor... is there a formal term for that like Skinlands in cWoD?)
>-Patronage (Curiosity, learning of things and how they changed since the Geist's passing)
>-Creation (Aspiration, completing some kind of work in the real world)
>-Edict (Zeal, making your message be heard beyond the veil of death)
>>44072728
>SS?
This >>44072593 guy.
>>
>>44072728
You could've capped from the thread itself y'know, but thanks I'd probably have been too lazy to do it myself.
>>44072728
>12
Why twelve? But sure, that might work out though maybe a biiit to busy. Then again, I like unified stuff, so personal preference and all that.
>>
>>44072783
>Why twelve?
I don't want it to feel like another 5x5 aspect, I want it to feel varied and unique, like the Changeling Kiths. It isn't a typical X/Y/Z splat, it's just a sub-type, which I feel shouldn't be limited to "this matches with this".
>>
>>44072859
12 is excessive and cluttered, just like Changeling kiths so bravo on achieving what you aimed to. It's just unfortunate you picked something that's bad to aspire to.
>>
>>44072869
>Hating Kiths
>>
>>44072876
Not him but they're clutter.
>>
>>44072876
90% of the kiths are garbage and you know it.
>>
>>44072859

You can still have it feel varied and unique while still keeping it to five or six types. Don't make the mistake of adding too much, because if you do, that's 12 splats you need to differentiate and balance, and you have a hard time keeping your focus and energy as it is. Start with a small number and expand if you truly feel that there's a niche. You'll stave off burnout that way.
>>
How would you incorporate Uzumaki into nWoD? I'm talking about the Spiral, not the "ninja".
>>
>>44074780
Pretty sure that's already 100% CoC material
Call of Cthulhu, get yer mind out of the gutter

Prolly too bizarre to fit in nWoD, maybe as some really fucked up Infrastructure or some other GM-stuff
>>
>>44074780
Definitely either an Abyssal Intruder or something out of the Lower Depths.
>>
>>44075054
>or something out of the Lower Depths.
My guess is it'd be a entity composed of only Space and Mind, having crushed all the other Arcanum of its realm into itself. Now its extruded part of itself into the Fallen World and is trying to consume all of it.

Good luck.
>>
>>44063854
In general, what I've found is the single most important thing to do with a totem is to give it an agenda and schemes of its own that it wants to achieve, ideally some of which will clash with what the pack would want. Make it an ally with a life of its own rather than a buff-giving familiar that is mostly ignored.
>>
>>44075269
Chris, I just had a really silly idea, if Zordon would work as a Totem Spirit, then what would Rite Respulsa be?
>>
>>44075321
>Rite
Rita, I can't brain.
>>
>>44074780
Abyssal Intruder with hard-on on spirals and fuckhueg Space, Time and Life Arcana.
>>
>>44075269

Totems always struck me as the secret member of the party, and I'm glad Pack creation plays that up more.
>>
>>44074780
Something fucking with Space, Mind, and Life. Maybe Matter as well.
Mind to make people obsessed with the Spiral.
Life to cause the weird hair-spirals, the snail-people, and what happened to the chick with the crescent scar.
Space and maybe Matter for what was under the town, mostly.

I'm probably forgetting some other shit, though.
>>
Waiting for the obligatory Mega Folder with everything in it.

Thank you.

Have a heart <3
>>
>>44076610

It's in the last thread in the first few posts, I don't know why Aspel didn't just link the damn thing.
>>
>>44076727
Many blessings to you.
(No , seriously, I'm a "chancellor priest initiate" at our regional church, I can technically bless people).
>>
>>44074780
Annunaki.
>>
Rules question for you guys; would you say that dead languages like Latin, Ancient Greek or Ancient Egyptian would be something you could cover under the Language Merit or would it be better as an Academics spec?
>>
>>44076845
>(No , seriously, I'm a "chancellor priest initiate" at our regional church, I can technically bless people).
Do you go on merry vampire chases with people of denominations you don't like too much?
>>
>>44076727
Forgot, mostly. I don't tend to use Mega, and I prefer to get my books one at a time, so I forgot that completely and hadn't really paid attention to it.

Much as I was saying we need a Pastebin with info, I was hoping someone ELSE would take up the responsibility of actually putting it together. But I guess people actually DO think making the threads means I'm in charge :T
I don't wanna be the boss... that means work.

>>44077085
>Modern Greek (demotic) has a simplified grammar and accents and the vocabulary has naturally changed over time, but the basic core of the language is the same, so a speaker of modern Greek can usually get the gist of an ancient text, although trying to translate may often lead to tragic misinterpretations. Attic or Hellenistic ("koine") Greek texts are of course much easier than archaic Greek (f.e. Homer).

>Modern Greek speakers, even if they have managed to completely miss learning Ancient in school, have a couple of additional resources that help with their ability to comprehend Ancient; 1- familiarity with church hymns and the scriptures, which are all in Hellenistic and 2- Katharevousa, which was the official language until 30 years ago and which still appears in books and is spoken in part by some people of a certain age. Katharevousa shares most of the grammar with Ancient and also the accents and has a more archaic vocabulary.

>The truth is, Ancient Greek, just like Latin, and unlike f.e Old English, exists all over the written and spoken word and is encountered often enough that some literacy in it would have been maintained even without schooling.
>Written Aug 21, 2012 • View Upvotes • Asked to answer by Emily Smith
But also according to a lot of times they show up, they're Languages.
Translating something that you're capable of translating is Academics, though.
>>
>>44077085
>Latin
Language (only purchasable up to two dots to represent its weird undead status).
>Ancient Greek
>Ancient Egyptian
Clearly academics.

I wonder just how much XP statting Daniel Jackson as of season 9 would swallow. Even with all the memory wipes he should have like 4 dots in occult 5 in Academics 5 in Languages, 3 in Multilingual, 3 in Fighting Style: Firefight etc.
>>
>>44077177
Nah, I'm too coward to do anything awesome like that. Also people view me as angel-on-Earth for some fucking reason (probably because i fake sympathy so much).
>>
>>44077423

It's less that you're the boss of the WOD General or whatever and more, "If you're the person who brought it up, you're the person who leads the project". That's the basics of responsibility outside of a formal group project.
>>
>>44077423
>Much as I was saying we need a Pastebin with info, I was hoping someone ELSE would take up the responsibility of actually putting it together.
I started putting together an OP paste last year but it got chucked in like 5 threads, so... eh.
>>44077512
>It's less that you're the boss of the WOD General or whatever and more, "If you're the person who brought it up, you're the person who leads the project". That's the basics of responsibility outside of a formal group project.
Also this.
>>
>>44077461
>(only purchasable up to two dots to represent its weird undead status).
Language is always one dot. Language isn't "ranked", you just buy one dot and it represents a new language. Although in 1e it *was* still ranked. So was Contacts, and Library, even though each dot was something completely different.

>>44077512
>>44077524
What kind of a horrible world do we live in where a layabout can't make a suggestion that someone else carries out?
>>
>>44077562
>What kind of a horrible world do we live in where a layabout can't make a suggestion that someone else carries out?
We live in that world. That's how objectivism and communism came about.
>>
>>44077485

At least your title's badass.
>>
>>44077562
In 1e, prior to errata, Language was 1 to 3 dots per language representing fluency.
>>
>>44077562

Someone CAN, but they're not obligated to. This is why people don't like the concept of "the ideas guy". If you really want something done, and you're:

1. Not paying people a decent wage to do it (AKA a true dev or project lead)

2. Not formally bound by some deadline (school projects and the like)

You do it yourself to ensure it gets done to your liking.
>>
So, casual player here, as in maybe once a month when the group manages to get together. If I drop the money on all the Mummy books, how much of everything does it actually explain, and how much will I need to extrapolate and put together from implications?
I've got the core, and I'm really curious, but I know I'll miss a lot of they haven't made it clear.
>>
>>44077754

Guildhalls of the Deathless is a basic political organization book, so while it won't go further into back story it'll help you flesh out your game more.

Necropolis DC will show you a functioning city and show you what kind of projects the Deceived get up to when left to their own devices.

Book of the Deceived is probably your best bet for setting explanation. The entire first chapter is an overview of the Shan'iatu, Ammut, the Judges, and the Rite of Return. However, it's from the POV of the Deceived themselves and the entire chapter is written in character, so we must take it with a grain of salt by default.

Sothis Ascends is mostly a history/setting book. No earth shattering revelations, but it'll give you a good idea of what all Arisen have universally experienced.

Ready Made MtC PCs will allow you to unleash the full John Wick (the author, not Keanu) on your players.

The upcoming Dreams of Avarice is probably going to explain the setting from the Heretic's point of view. The upcoming Necropolis Rio (whenever the hell that comes out), should give us another working city.
>>
>>44077644
Really? Huh, fuck me, you're right.
>>
>>44078015

It was real fiddly too, which was why I let people speak a second language for free if it fit their concept. So glad it's better now.
>>
I had an idea for a Lineage of Prometheans created by a Mummy Demiurge.

Their Humor is Rheum (the weird crusty stuff in the corner of your eye.), Their Disfigurements appear as their bodies starting to desiccate and any injuries they have suffered look like melted glass, when they stay in an area for too long they cause people to become paranoid isolationists with their Disquiet and their Wasteland exacerbates faults within objects.

No idea on the name or how they regain Pyros though.
>>
>>44078736
>Their Humor is Rheum
Huh, reminds me of the Australian Wulgaru lineage that came up a week ago, though I think it ended up going with something else. Or maybe it was you who suggested it who knows.
>>
>>44078832
>Australian Wulgaru
I believe theirs was Cerebospinal fluid (Or whatever the alchemical name was), though I don't have any way of proving it I was the brainchild of that idea.
>>
Are there any entities in nWoD that get empowered by human faith?
>>
>>44078832
I was the one who threw Rheum out as a Humor.
>>
>>44078886
>was the brainchild of that idea.
I see what you did there.
>>
>>44078892
>>44078886
>>44078832
>Aussie Promies
Do they shank people and tell them to get the fuck outta their Wasteland?
>>
>>44078888
Spirits can. I mean, that's basically essence.
>>
>>44078942
>>44078888
...so wait, the Malleus Malleficarum powers really DO come from the big G? Just that he most likely didn't do that whole creation thing the way they believe(d, I vaguely recall that the church is split on this issue)?
>>
>>44078934
Well their Wasteland makes the land around them into part of the Hedge, and their disquiet makes people nuttier than squirrel poo (Seriously, people in their disquiet become insanely delusional.), but I wouldn't put it past them to shank someone.
>>
>>44078995
I didn't say that God was a Spirit. He might be. Or he might not exist other than as an Astral Entity and the powers really do come from Faith alone.
>>
>>44078892
I know, I have a really good memory for this sort of thing.
>>
>>44079016
>Well their Wasteland makes the land around them into part of the Hedge, and their disquiet makes people nuttier than squirrel poo (Seriously, people in their disquiet become insanely delusional.), but I wouldn't put it past them to shank someone.
That sounds cool actually, wouldn't mind that as an official Lineage. Implying people play PtC;_;
>>
>>44079029
inb4 they're ritual Exploits.
>>
This discussion's made me desirous of a Long Night sub-group entirely composed of Stigmatics. Their mission: Topple the false demon posing as the OTG and end its blasphemy once and for all.

Not sure if cool or just way over the line.
>>44072859
>I don't want it to feel like another 5x5 aspect, I want it to feel varied and unique, like the Changeling Kiths. It isn't a typical X/Y/Z splat, it's just a sub-type, which I feel shouldn't be limited to "this matches with this".
I see. While that's understandable it might be good to start >>44074141 small, but since you're posting here I presume you're an adult capable of making their own decisions.
>>
>>44079225
>but since you're posting here I presume you're an adult capable of making their own decisions.
Why would you ever think that?

OTG?
>>
>>44079254
>Why would you ever think that?
Why not? It's always good to assume the best.
>OTG?
The head honcho. The boss nigga. The prime adjudicator. The One True God.
>>
>>44079225

I'd be down for a faction like that, myself. It'd give me an excuse to play a Long Night character; I've always wanted to play one. The Merciful faction is like playing a Redeemer from HtR, and I always liked that Creed best.
>>
>>44079225
The Long Night fighting the Demiurge sounds awesome.
>>
>>44079978
>the GM is the Demiurge
OH FU-
>>
>>44079978
>>44080003
Demiurge only in that the God-Machine is an embodiment of the Gnostic concept of a "Yahweh" that actually trapped humanity in the flesh. Not the Promethean Demiurges that are the creator of souls.

Although the Principle and the GM are likely connected, and two characters from a Promethean book were retconned to be Demons.
>>
>>44080151
>Demiurge only in that the God-Machine is an embodiment of the Gnostic concept of a "Yahweh" that actually trapped humanity in the flesh. Not the Promethean Demiurges that are the creator of souls.
No I get what you meant. Prometheans come from the Monad. Azoth is Pleroma.
>>
>>44080151

>and two characters from a Promethean book were retconned to be Demons.

If I remember right, this is still contentious among the co-developers of Demon.
>>
Sup /tg/ gonna be in a Mage game, wondering what the best Arcana are without being 'that guy'
>>
>>44080451
Completely depends on what you want to do. All of them are useful, in their own way.
That said, Time is the one that requires most work for the ST, so if you want to be nice to the group, don't get that one past 2. (Shield of Chronos on Time 2 is great though).
>>
So, I saw a few threads back something about a Demon sheet on roll20, and the newest Monday Meeting Notes also talks about official nWoD sheets on roll20.

Where are these? Are they just on the dev server, right now? Or are they just not in yet? I don't see them in the sheet list, at least, so something's up(and someone should have told Rich before he told people to 'go check them out' on Monday).
>>
>>44080451
No Aracana is inherently 'that guy', really. Like >>44080512 said, Time requires the most effort from the ST, but that doesn't mean you should prevent yourself from getting it if you've got an idea for a character that's based around fucking with time.

Really, though, the best arcana to take is entirely up to what kind of character you want to play.
>>
>>44080512
>>44080554
That is actually really re-assuring, I know old mage had a tendency to be a GM's nightmare and did not want to have it devolve into a mess by stumbling into something too broken to work. .
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.