[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here ever play Mage Knight back in the day?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: mage_colage.jpg (44 KB, 426x403) Image search: [Google]
mage_colage.jpg
44 KB, 426x403
Anyone here ever play Mage Knight back in the day?
>>
>>44026999
Oh hell yes. 1.0 was best.0

Still have all my minis, and bought some off my friends as they were getting out of the game when it started to die around the beginning of the 2.0 era.

The plan was to use it as an introduction to wargames for when my kids came of age. My oldest daughter is 3 now, so still a few more years.

Mage-Knight Dungeons was all sorts of legendary and the most fun game mode. For the standard game I loved my Atlantis Guild.

Besides Battletech, it really was my first wargame. Knowing what I know now, however, I would like to see how it plays with different scenarios, with things like objectives. Back in the day we only ever played pitch battles, which is one of the reasons why I think the game started to die. That and the power combos that sort of ruined friendly games.

But all in all I remember good times with it.
>>
>>44027108

OP here, glad I wasn't the only one. Something about opening those boosters was so satisfying.

I played in a couple tournaments way back when that had some cool objectives, like occupying certain parts of the terrain when you won would give you more points towards playing in the winners bracket.

I wish there was a way to play again but I have no idea where you'd find anyone that still carried them. Would be neat if a games shop just picked up a giant lot of them and did something like a cube draft for magic. It would also be cool if they'd just make a proper online game out of the property and see if removing the hassles that miniature games create could re-attract the audience it had
>>
File: mahnigga45613.jpg (19 KB, 318x234) Image search: [Google]
mahnigga45613.jpg
19 KB, 318x234
>>44026999
Hell the fuck yes. Mage Knight 1.0 was my very first wargame, introducing me to miniatures. Back in high school, my buddies and I would have a "poker night" and play this. Good times.
>>
>>44026999
Suuure did! I played this instead of Magic. It got me fascinated with wargames. I knew about Warhammer already, but MK was cheap enough that I could pay for it with my allowance and actually hold my first minis in my hand instead of ogling them on the shelf.
>>
>>44027595

similar for me, 1.0 introduced me to mini games.
>>
Me! I want 1.0 back so bad. I had a sickass hero slayer hydra and gillmen, I doubt they were any good, I was young, but I fucking loved them.
>>
>>44026999

Man I guess they did try to do an online thing on kickstarter called Mage Knight Revenge but it fell through. And I have no idea what's going on with the tie-in they're doing with Heroclix

I feel like I need to just buy up all the cheap lots on ebay and start a meetup group
>>
File: 132486.jpg (12 KB, 350x344) Image search: [Google]
132486.jpg
12 KB, 350x344
This guy was my favorite.
>>
Why did mage knight die?
>>
File: 100.jpg (26 KB, 270x293) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
26 KB, 270x293
>>44032286

I guess it just ultimately got eclipsed by HeroClix. If I had to come up with a reason, I'd say it probably had something to do with the stupid amount of games WizKids put out in a short time...does anyone even remember Crimson Skies, the cardboard Pirates game, that big Shadownrun figure thing, etc??

I actually liked the Mage Knight lore and aesthetic, and I'm sure everyone else here did too. I think they just overextended with all these products and didn't try hard enough to differentiate Mage Knight as a brand when it was easier to just put out superhero figures that people recognized and wanted to collect. I mean the re-release in 2013 didn't even have the Mage Knight rules, it was just a lazy HeroClix tie-in
>>
>>44032286
It was a combination of several things.

2.0 pissed off a lot of customers because their existing model collection suddenly became obsolete and felt they needed to buy the newer better minis and build collections from there. Naturally for many this was a major turn-off.

2.0 rules system was also more convoluted than 1.0, making things more complex, and not always for the better. 1.0 was elegant and simple.

Heroclix. Heroclix was the biggest, i think. Since it was set in existing IPs, it had much wider appeal, and quickly grew to eclipse MK, which, while original, was not as well known. It became the game of "who would win in a fight of batman vs ironman".
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.