[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you ogranize your ideas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: howtoogranizeshit.jpg (525 KB, 644x745) Image search: [Google]
howtoogranizeshit.jpg
525 KB, 644x745
My biggest issue with keeping notes is that I fail at organizing my ideas for easy access and modification.
Does anyone here have a system or a tool of some sorts? Please advise.
>>
>>44015533
I make a thread on /tg/, post some snippets, see what others come up with, and collect it in text files.

Images are very important to my process because I design story around handouts and make the plot fit the picture. Also images are much more efficient in reminding me of an idea and its details months later, text is just tedious for that.

Then, when I reach a point that I want to run or use it I make a PDF and post it for /tg/ to store and never use. It usually isn't ready to roll dice, but it's enough to work as seed / shotgun scenario / system agnostic adventure. There are no stats yet, but the research is done. Other times it's complete adventures.

So I have lots of folders, ordered by systems/games and events/rounds full of research, and a few PDFs (and .odt files) with the stuff I ended up actually using.
>>
>>44015533
any novel writing tool is good for DMs, scrivner is easy to use and easy to download for free.
>>
I use Evernote. Has decent organizational tools and syncs with all your devices so you can jot down notes on a phone at work, a laptop on the bus, and finish them at home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjn6YkCY2yA

I haven't shopped around much though so maybe there's something a lot better
>>
I used Masterplan 4E before, but it is mostly for 4E DND
>>
>>44015533
I store my notes in the default "memo" program of my tablet.
The notes are not particularly well organised. In fact, they're all over the fucking place, but whatever, better than nothing.
>>
I use a text editor that came with my os (vim), while keeping each file small with a descriptive name. I also have a custom highlighter file I use to help keep the contents of each file organized.

I've considered using a tool to index and search through them (with a hefty synonym file), but I haven't bothered. A lot of such tools have analytical features so it might be helpful...
>>
>>44016122
You're using vim.
Use cat to search.
>>
>>44016153
kind of why I haven't bothered with heavier tools
>>
Batteries die on laptops, tablets, phones etc.
I've had it happen in game.
Get plenty of folders to throw things where you need them.
Jot down notes when building/stocking dungeons. Make a revised copy when it's fully fleshed out. Slap it in a folder when done.
Same thing for towns. Important NPCs get character sheets.
>>
>>44015700
> Scrivener
> for free
You meant trial version for 30 days.
>>
Anyone uses notes? Just like pen and paper and shit?
>>
>>44018680
Pen and paper is awfully difficult to edit. I tried having a dedicated journal but it just became a mess of disorganized ideas jotted down everywhere
>>
>>44019192
Wat do
>>
>>44020209
What about the idea of having two journals? One were you write all your first ideas and then you pass it to the other in a more organized way?
>>
>>44020243
Seems like too much work. Like, First you just gather ideas, then you filter and edit them. Then you have to go digital. Might as well go digital instantly. I don't know.
>>
>>44015533
Files. Name them something like alphabetical followed by number. A-1,A-2, HH3 etc. have a table for what category each letter/s means.
Short of that like 20 big ass ring binder with tons of paper in them. Color code the covers for category and use those tiny post-it notes for sub categories.
>>
>>44015533
Docx files with indexes and hotlinks. Very simple.
>>
OP here. Thank you all for replies.
>>
Anybody uses Scabard or FreeMind?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.