[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wodg/ World of Darkness General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: Underground.png (819 KB, 860x1121) Image search: [Google]
Underground.png
819 KB, 860x1121
These threads go really fast when people are bitching about Mage. But this thread let's try NOT doing that...

Most of the resources from the starting post are out of date or broken, so we should work together and make a new batch of resources. If you've got a house rule (1e, 2e, or even oWoD) feel free to share it. What do you do in your games to make things run smoother? Does anyone want to stat up some NPCs? Maybe some monsters? Do you have any homebrews to share? If anyone has advice on making a Chummer style sheet generator, that'd be super helpful.

Here's the images I use to start threads http://imgur.com/a/oerTd

I'm also currently working on updating Geist to 2e, since I can't wait another ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ two years. Feel free to make suggestions.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SMgt9996QXnCahP_B6acce9_vZuj5myu_3RC7JYygpw/edit

Previous Thread: >>43973319
>>
>>43991675

SPEAKING OF MAGE!

So in my game my changeling player is trying to find a vampire elder in torpor that he can wake up and then recruit to overthrow and replace the prince in the local court.

Such a vampire exists, and he was staked, then locked in a sarcophagus, and locked away by the prince about 100 years ago. He is being kept in a secret chamber underneath an abandoned lumber mill outside of the prince's immediate territory.

The prince's chamberlain has a pet moros mage - they captured her and have used dominate on her so thoroughly, along with a couple of other disciplines like Despond, as to reduce her to a silent automaton for the most part. She'll eat, and breathe, and sleep, but she follows simple orders without a discipline even needing to be used at this point. For tall orders, the count or the chamberlain use dominate to control her actions directly.
She has the following arcana:
Death 4
Space 4
Forces 3
Matter 2

and a gnosis of 5

The count uses her to scry across his territory frequently, and has put up certain wards to alert him to the presence of certain supernaturals when they enter his domain. He's had her bind ghosts to a number of locations to serve as guardians or spies. The lumber mill, obviously, has a few powerful ghosts bound to the building - but what else could she be used for to keep intruders out of the mill and/or alert the Count to their interference so he can intervene? I'm not that familiar with mage, so help me out pls
>>
>>43991675
>I'm also currently working on updating Geist to 2e, since I can't wait another ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ two years

Two years? Aren't you optimistic...
>>
>>43991853

I figure with death and space, she could perform a ritual letting her know when anything dead enters the lumber mill - making her aware of any vampire interlopers. This wouldn't work on a changeling, however. Forces and matter could potentially be used to fortify the entrance. But I mean with these powers at her disposal will it even be possible to infiltrate the mill? There are no vampire guards because the count doesn't want ANYONE to know about what he has hidden there.
>>
>>43991853
While all that is a pretty terrifying way to keep a Mage in check, keep in mind that the real danger is Vinculum.

>I'm not that familiar with mage, so help me out pls
My advice? Use what you know. Unless you're running Mage, you don't really need to know Mage. It's useful and more detailed, but not necessary. I'd suggest using Changeling or Vampire powers for whatever you need to do, or at least using those rules to help figure out how to do them.

That said, if you're interested in knowing what a Mage can do at what dot level, this guide should help you out.
>>
>>43991968

One of my other players is a mage lel, it's a mixed game. I know enough to get by, but I don't know it thoroughly enough to take advantage of her power set properly. She's quite a bit more powerful (i.e. capable of a lot more) than he is, because the game hasnt been going on that long.

She is blood bound, but even outside of being blood bound she's been broken down mentally so there's no chance of her getting any ideas or anyone 'saving' her; and because the prince is a dick.
>>
More mages
>>
>>43991885

The most optimistic schedule, in my eyes, is this:

Early 2016: Mage 2e, Promethean 2e

Late 2016: Changeling 2e, Geist 2e announced.

Early 2017: Hunter 2e

Early 2018: Geist 2e

Mummy 2e's not on there because the line's still not quite done, so it's hard to determine when OPP figures that 1e's got enough space. Also I'm calling it now: Monica gets to be Dev for Geist 2e. Every WoD developer so far seems to be in charge of two lines each, not counting Demon.
>>
>>43992054

Unless the trapped mage is an outcast, if the local consilium discovered her treatment, things would get real ugly, real fast.

If I were that changeling and knew about the trapped mage, the first people I would look to would be the other mages in the area for assistance. They would be more than capable of neutralizing or circumventing the any security.

If you aren't familiar with mage, I wouldn't worry. Use the basic rules from changeling or vampire to mimic magical effects, or just allow whatever the story requires. In fact, under mage rules, I don't even believe a mage reduced to a near automaton could even cast spells, no less maintain the security you describe.
>>
>>43992298
Mages leave the consilium and go off-grid all the time. It's also unlikely that other Mages would get involved unless she was important, or the vampires having her threatens them directly.
>>
>>43992054
> know enough to get by, but I don't know it thoroughly enough to take advantage of her power set properly.

That kind of fits in with the situation, from what I'm reading. The mage herself would know how to get the most bang for her buck, but since she's been dominated so severely the output is kind of lagging.

That said - a mage is only as powerful as they are creative. Having a higher gnosis and more arcana than another mage is great, but if you don't know what the fuck to do with it all and your opponent knows a dozen different tricks they can do with their one dot of arcana and a few rotes - then expected to get screwed hard.

Keep the Pocket Mage doing what she's been doing.

Consider employing mundane defenses. Alarms. Cameras. Even the odd security guard just patrolling the grounds.

Sometimes it's the little things that fuck over the players.

Shit, I've played in a Mage game where a rogue crew took over our Base of Operations. When we got back, we found the door locked. Our responses were to Phase through, turn into smoke and drift under, fly up to the second floor and go through an open window, and to jump back in time to a point where the door was open, walk through and then jump forward.

None of us considered unlocking our own fucking door.
>>
>>43992290

I believe it's too early to predict anything concerning future releases. First and foremost, we have no idea about Paradox's plans and expectations for the nWOD.

Geist was never much of a commercial success, and there's no guarantee it will ever receive a 2e treatment. Your schedule also doesn't account for Deviant, DaveB's already announced new game line.
>>
>>43992353

Mages certainly travel off-the-grid all the time. However, a high Gnosis, second degree Adept mage forcibly bound to a Vampire Prince is unquestionably a big security threat to the Consilium and affront to the Awakened. Even if the mage were an apostate, it would be an intolerable situation. If the mage is known and liked, the situation would be a veritable declaration of war. The same security and other concerns would be no different if the mage were a Seer,

In any event, the changeling would have little to lose by telling other mages, but potentially much to gain.
>>
>>43992353

Depends on the local politics. Kidnapping and enslaving a Mage could send a bad message to the supernatural community at large if the information got out. Might be more than enough reason for an Arrow hit-team to take action.
>>
>>43992570

At the very least, the Consilium sentinels should investigate and "have words" with the local Prince.
>>
>>43992381

It's always too early to predict anything, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna try it. Geist is absolutely going to get a 2e if OPP keeps the license, because while its sales didn't set the world on fire, that doesn't mean that it's automatically a risk. Second edition was based only on sales, we'd see Vampire 2e, Mage 2e, Changeling 2e, Hunter 2e and nothing else.

Ultimately, between Rich saying vague positive things about Paradox, and the discussion they've been having about what gets announced on the 12th (eight days till WoD is changed forever, everyone!), I think it's safe to assume that OPP keeps doing WoD in some capacity.

You're right that I forgot Deviant, though. Lemme revise:

Early 2016: Mage 2e, Promethean 2e

Late 2016: Changeling 2e, Geist 2e announced, Deviant Kickstarter

Early 2017: Deviant

Late 2017: Hunter 2e

Early 2018: Geist 2e
>>
>>43992852

The schedule is certainly possible, but I think 2017 is unlikely for both Deviant and Hunter, and Geist would be released late 2018 or 2019.
>>
>>43992570
>>43992557
>>43992809
I feel you're thinking Mages care more about each other than they actually do. If the mage is known and liked, sure, she's got allies and then the arm of politics will turn. But if before all this she wasn't? Well, she's kind of fucked.

Unless you're doing things that concern the Consilium and interacting with other Mages, you're kind of on your own.

I'd assume that she's not got friends, and didn't have strong ties to the Consilium. People would want their Herald or whatever back if that had been the case.
>>
>>43993074

I feel you're thinking Mages care less about their own hides than they actually do.

Rescuing a kidnapped Mage and laying waste to the offender isn't about getting a Mage to safety. It's about sending a message to supernaturals that this sort of thing Is Not Done. And that Hell will fall on anyone dumb enough to try it.

It's a self-defense response. You save the Mage because you want someone to save you if you were in that position. You kill the Vampire because you want other Vampires to think twice about doing it in the first place.
>>
>>43993074

It is explicitly stated that one of the primary purposes of both cabals and consilia is mutual protection of the local mage community. Similarly, with respect to the Seers, the Exarchs do not take kindly to such poor treatment of their subjects, and it's very bad for recruitment.

Dealing with a situation where a high Gnosis / high Arcana mage is forcibly bound to another majors supernatural sect is not necessarily about helping the imprisoned mage, but rather ensuring the security of all other local mages and their interests and providing a strong deterrent in order that no one thinks such conduct is acceptable or will ever be tolerated.
>>
>>43993253
>>43993074

Even if the trapped mage is a rat bastard, soul-stealing Scelesti, mages still take care of their own.

In the dog-eat-dog world of the supernatural, a community must generally stick together or they will look weak and be preyed upon.

A captured mage also possesses secrets and other information and arcane abilities that makes them a potential security threat to both the consilium and other individual mages and cabals.
>>
>>43992298

She has no ties to the nearest consilium, which is not close by - a county over. Though you are correct, other mages would likely dislike the idea of the prince having one of her power on a leash. the Guardians of the Veil, in fact, have a few sleepwalker agents in the area keeping an eye on the court. The prince however, has more than just her at his disposal and the mages don't have the resources to deal with it, especially not for a mage whom they dont have strong ties to. To clean this up they'd need mages not only more powerful than her (not a very common commodity) but capable of contending with the vampire court and its other supernatural allies, and to what end? Neutralizing a POTENTIAL threat? There's simply too many other pressing matters and it's not cost effective.

When I saw 'automaton' I mean in terms of will and personality. She's just been thoroughly broken in; she still retains her intellect and knowledge of magic. In fact, usually the prince of his chamberlain just uses the 5th dot of dominate to take direct control and cast the spell themselves through her, without bothering to give instructions, as the 'possession' gives them access to her breadth of knowledge. The two of them ARE very creative.

>>43992355

There may be some security devices, likely a camera or a silent alarm, but if the changeling intends to defy the prince he will be planning in a way that he can circumvent that sort of thing. The fact of the matter is that if the prince knows who is breaking in, he will likely kill the entire party (or attempt to). So he's going to take pains to be discrete. Likewise, the count himself is being discrete. The ground floor has ghosts, and the basement where his rival is trapped has zombies. He doesnt use vampire or ghoul sentries here because he doesnt want other vampires knowing about a powerful staked rival; he's very paranoid and takes every measure to avoid a coup.
>>
>>43993253
>>43993268
>>43993352
This is the kind of situation that would trigger a Dresden Files style full-blown Wizards vs Vampires war, yeah, at least in that city.
>>
>>43993268
>>43993352

The mage does not have secrets worth divulging; she was a Free Council novice briefly before going renegade, getting lost, interfering with the prince's plans, and getting captured.

>>43993354

To follow up on this:

The prince has a few other allies that he uses frequently. One is a skinchanger that can turn into a toad, whom works as a spy for the court, following other supernaturals whom are unlikely to detect him due to his unique nature and low visibility. Particularly useful for watching the werewolves. Another is a powerful immortal with a wealth of knowledge and artifacts. I've decided that he will have given a golem (not a promethean) to the prince to be used as another defense in this mill - likely standing over his rival's sarcophagus and instructed to attack any intruders - someone capable of circumventing zombies and ghosts might not be equipped to deal with an eight foot tall clay man.

I'm wondering what this mage could be used for other than scrying or just binding guards like zombies and ghosts. What kind of warding could she do? Is it possible to set up a spell where she is constantly aware of what happens in the lumber mill? Isn't there a limit on the number of spells she can have active determined by her stamina, or is it gnosis?
>>
>>43993253
>>43993352
>>43993389
Unless that vampire actual starts using the Mage on them, why would they care? Mages aren't the Good Guys who protect the innocent. If someone leaves of their own accord or even gets swayed to the other side, they aren't going to mount some tactical rescue operation or go to war. In Dresden Files the White Council and Red Court were already threatening hostilities,

Mages are also not going to care about a Scelesti or even a Seer (hell, even someone from another Order) unless it affects them directly. "They took one of ours!" only matters if the person in question is someone they care about. Otherwise it's not worth the resources or hassle.

>>43993268
Like I said, that only matters if it's someone they care about, or if it happens in numbers. No one cares about the file clerk getting bloodbound, and no one cares about Old Man Jenkins going over to the Dark Side if he fucks off out of Mage politics.

I mean, some Mages might take affront to it, but it's kind of like if your dad goes off and joins a cult. There's not much you can do about it.
>>
>>43993354
>In fact, usually the prince of his chamberlain just uses the 5th dot of dominate to take direct control and cast the spell themselves through her, without bothering to give instructions, as the 'possession' gives them access to her breadth of knowledge.

That does not appear be possible under the mage spellcasting rules, particularly as described in Tome of the Mysteries. However, if it works in your game, go for it.

>>43993389
>This is the kind of situation that would trigger a Dresden Files style full-blown Wizards vs Vampires war

Even if the trapped mage were popular in the Consilium, I doubt a war would be necessary or likely. In fact, a Prince who seriously risked such a conflagration would likely be quickly deposed and meet the morning sun, with the backing, and if necessary, quiet direct intervention, of powerful local mages.

It would serve no ones interests to let the situation either .fester or escalate
>>
>>43993475
>she was a Free Council novice

A Gnosis 5, second degree Adept, is not a "novice" anything.

Moreover, the vast supernatural power and influence you indicate this Prince possesses would make him a significant threat to other supernaturals even without the trapped mage.
>>
>>43993574

>In fact, a Prince who seriously risked such a conflagration would likely be quickly deposed and meet the morning sun, with the backing, and if necessary, quiet direct intervention, of powerful local mages.

He's not part of a covenant, he's really old and powerful, and within the city he has pretty much absolute control because 1) his system works, his vampires are fed and enjoy luxury 2) no Ventrue are allowed in his territory - he's a Nosferatu - and Ventrue, while not having the sole claim to ambition, are most likely to want to depose him. The Gangrel and Nosferatu are pleased with their unusual level of status in the city, and the few Daeva have no need to rock the boat.

Other vampire courts might come in, but that'd be even less likely to succeed. Coups from within are easy to detect while he has a mage, skinchanger spy, immortal, a handful of ghosts, and some potent artifacts. Outside threats have to contend with that as well as his court underlings.
>>
>>43993639

>she was a novice
>before going rogue

Wherein she became significantly more powerful in her solitude.
>>
>>43993639
>Moreover, the vast supernatural power and influence you indicate this Prince possesses would make him a significant threat to other supernaturals even without the trapped mage.

He is, but his territory is pretty secluded, and he isn't much a shit-stirrer. He uses ghouls working at the nearby hospital to use their low majesty and dominate disciplines to convince almost anyone that goes in to donate blood, and then 'donates' the blood through proxies to get it into the hands of his underlings, to keep feedings down. Other than that, he's involved in drug and sex trafficking, but not as a direct kingpin, and not in the immediate area. The money is used to provide luxury and comfort to his court. He's powerful, and potentially dangerous, but who's going to wander into the middle of nowhere and try fucking with him when he isn't causing them any immediate problems for them?
>>
>>43993503
>Unless that vampire actual starts using the Mage on them, why would they care? Mages aren't the Good Guys who protect the innocent. If someone leaves of their own accord or even gets swayed to the other side, they aren't going to mount some tactical rescue operation or go to war. In Dresden Files the White Council and Red Court were already threatening hostilities,

Again, it depends heavily on the politics of the game, but no matter how you look at it it's flat out a risk to every single mage.

Mages are soft, squishy and surprisingly mortal when you hit on them. A big chunk of why they are not picked off by other supernaturals is just the threat of what a mage can do.

Look at it this way;

You are a cop. You work with cops. Your friends are cops. There are a few gangs that are infesting your city, but for the most part they stick to them and theirs and don't fuck with anything that falls under your jurisdiction.

One day you find out that an ex-cop has been targeted. One of the gangs went out of there way specifically to grab an ex-cop. Because this ex-cop knows things. This ex-cop can teach the gangs things. This ex-cop working with the gangs could potentially be a massive risk for every other cop still on the force.

YOU may never have worked with this ex-cop, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that they are off the force. Someone has gone out of their way to target one of yours. And this makes you a target for the other gangs in the city.

Suddenly the Street Wolves realise 'Hey, if the Fangs can kidnap a cop maybe we can to'. They've seen how well it's gone for the Fangs. They know the benefits of having a cop under their thumb.

Suddenly cops are a valuable resource and the gangs are putting bounties out for them.

You don't want this to happen.

THIS is why you rescue that ex-cop. THIS is why you fall like the fist of an angry god onto the gang.
>>
File: bird-corn-chip.jpg (41 KB, 430x294) Image search: [Google]
bird-corn-chip.jpg
41 KB, 430x294
>>43992002
Oh look, it's you again.
>>
>>43993503
>Mages aren't the Good Guys who protect the innocent

And no one every made such a suggestion. Extricating the trapped mage from the vampire Prince is nothing more than basic consilium (or Seer) security, enlightened self-preservation and defense, and an unmistakable deterrent to others who might believe that the Wise are weak or little more than tools or slaves.
>>
Good to see you working on Geist again, Aspel. It had been too long. Have you ever considered freelancing? You'd probably be disliked more than Matt, though.
>>
>>43994137
It's only basic security if they were someone who mattered.
>No one ever made such a suggestion
Iunno, >>43993352
>Even if the trapped mage is a rat bastard, soul-stealing Scelesti, mages still take care of their own.
That certainly sounds like it. Mages only take care of their own, and a Scelestus or Seer or even someone from a different Order isn't "their own".

>>43994162
I have, but I clearly don't have the focus to keep up with something, which makes me hesitant to try committing to something contractually. I mean, I said in October that I'd buckle down and write a novel and I haven't.
>You'd probably be disliked more than Matt, though.
Possibly :V
I can't imagine him telling people who complain to suck his dick.
>>
>>43994198
>It's only basic security if they were someone who mattered.

No, it's basic security if the target is a mage. The weakest link and all that.

>That certainly sounds like it. Mages only take care of their own, and a Scelestus or Seer or even someone from a different Order isn't "their own".

Mages are their own. The Awakened are their own. It's not a 'oh, we're the good guys' it's 'if we don't do something, bad shit will happen to the rest of us'.

If you were in a community and you found out your community was being targeted specifically, would you really be surprised when the community responded? YOU YOURSELF might not do anything, but it doesn't mean the entire community is going to sit on it's hands while it's being attacked.
>>
>>43994198
Given commitment issues, your general reputation, and your tendency to be a shit on 4chan all day to other WoD fans, if AmyV just got on the "never hire again" list I can't see you getting hired.

Then again, they DID hire Holden, who prior to being hired was just a notorious forum shithead who did lots of homebrew...
>>
>>43994162

I'm not really a fan of Aspel's work, but I'm glad to see them moving forward on something. I'd comment on the current Geist stuff, but I'd need time for it to sink in and I'm not super comfortable commenting on Google Doc things.
>>
>>43994277

Holden was also an Ink Monkey, and more or less popular for doing fixes to Exalted. At the time, bringing in the Ink Monkeys probably seemed like the obvious choice. It didn't work out, but I can see the logic. Sometimes you choose people because their work outclasses their reputation outside of it. Sometimes it backfires, but that's life.
>>
File: 1435355730321.png (369 KB, 440x686) Image search: [Google]
1435355730321.png
369 KB, 440x686
>>43994277
But the thing is, anon, that Aspel doesn't shit on the game lines, he shits on anons that don't shut up.
>>
>>43993906
>>43994137
>>43994198

As the original poster of the scenario in question, I've explained now that the likeliness of mages taking on the court over this is very low, though they wouldn't be opposed to helping such an attempt as long as they didn't have to get so involved: she's strong, but politically she's a nobody, she doesn't have valuable information (and if she did it's long gone), she doesn't have a group of friends looking for her, she doesn't have an order, and the nearest consilium is hours away and dealing with their own problems (a rogue Magistos and a couple of demons). The Guardians are watching the court, but they won't make a move unless the count does something threatening, and he won't, because he's got a really sweet gig the way things are.

So I'm hoping I could get more suggestions on what to do? Only one person has really attempted to answer my question, and all they did was post a PDF. A really helpful one, for sure. It's given me a few ideas. My hope was that some people in the thread would spitball some stuff for me or help me learn a bit more about mage. Since I have a mage player, I don't want to handwave everything she does, and he knows her arcana so he'll call me out if she does something she clearly wouldn't be able to.
>>
>>43994198
Mages take of care their own because if they don't, they look weak. The weak are preyed upon and abused in the WOD. Again, it's not necessarily about helping the imprisoned mage (unless they are indeed popular), but simple self-preservation and deterrence.

Moreover, any vampire controlling a Gnosis 5, second degree Adept, is a direct threat to other mages, regardless of their sect or orderm due to their abilities. In fact, other supernatural groups likely make no distinction and attach no import to mage politics. The trapped mage possesses secrets and abilities that unequivocally alter the balance of power.
>>
>>43994333
>Aspel doesn't shit on the gamelines
You haven't seen him talk about Apocalypse, I take it.

Nonetheless, though, you're mostly correct.

If Aspel can be professional enough and separate his online dickery from the work he puts in (and, more crucially, be seen as a guy who does work and meets deadlines as opposed to seen as someone who fucks around on 4chan all day instead of working as was apparently the perception of AmyV at the company??) then he might be just fine.

It's not like White Wolf/OPP doesn't have a history of hiring opinionated assholes.
>>
>>43994276
I don't know why you feel Mages have any reason to care about someone they have no connection to. It's not like you can probe one Mage's mind and suddenly know the secret to defeating Mages. The Awakened are not one big family or anything. Bad shit won't happen to you just because someone fucked off to go live with fangbangers.

This isn't even the community being targeted specifically. This isn't a cop being kidnapped by gangers and being tortured into giving up cop secrets. It's a cop quitting being a cop and going to work for the gangs. Except it's not even a cop. It's just the guy who lived in your old neighborhood.

Sure, SOMEONE could care and be a hero, or even try to get the Consilium to do something, but as a whole? They aren't going to go to war over it. Especially since they'd be outnumbered if it even came to that. Hell, a "war" between two WoD factions is more like a feud between street gangs, anyway, and these two don't even seem to be in the same geographic area.

>>43994330
>Ink Monkey
What?

>>43994392
>Mages take of care their own because if they don't, they look weak.
I honestly have no idea why you think that. There are plenty of Mages who are out there on their own. Even powerful ones. If anything, this Mage would be viewed with suspicion. It's not like the Consilium has insight into why she's doing what she's doing. For all they know she's doing it willingly, or simply addicted to the Vitae and not strong enough to stop it. Hell, they don't even know how strong she is.

A vampire controlling a Gnosis 5 Second Degree Adept is as much threat as a Scelestus Second Degree Adept with Gnosis 5, and Consilia don't have KOS orders for those (usually).
>>
>>43994392

Please see

>>43993773

The balance of power is irrelevant.
This mage in his possession isn't causing a turf war between anyone. She's just there so the prince is able to defend himself more thoroughly than your average vampire prince, able to keep himself in power more easily, and so that when my players try to jack his shit in the middle of the woods I can put them up against a mage's tricks. That's what I was hoping the discussion would focus: this lumber mill and how a mage like her could be used to protect it beyond the obvious 'bind ghosts n zombies'.
>>
>>43994415
>You haven't seen him talk about Apocalypse, I take it.
That doesn't count because Apocalypse is dumb. Although, yeah, I do fucking hate oWoD, and I've never been shy about hiding it.
>If Aspel can [...] be seen as a guy who does work and meets deadlines [...] then he might be just fine.
And this is why I've yet to turn in a submission :V
Maybe with some Adderall or something.

>>43994487
She's his Jessica Jones.
>>
>>43994346

The discussion about Mage politics evolved beyond you scenario.

Nevertheless, without a dissertation on mage spellcasting, the earlier PDF is a good summary of the general capabilities of the Arcana.

I also wouldn't be reluctant to use a little ST license to achieve any effect you deem necessary for your story. If the Mage player complains, I would state that the properties of the Vitae have warped and improved the mage's power, and it has been further amplified by the Blood Magic workings of Cruac and Theban Sorcery.

You might also want to check-out thesubnet.com for more examples of what mages and all the Arcana might be capable of achieving.

http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod2/mtaw/ArcanaD.html
>>
>>43994468
>Consilia don't usually have KOS orders out for powerful Nefandi
Say what?
>>
>>43994346
> I've explained now that the likeliness of mages taking on the court over this is very low

They could always try and push the dice the other way - rather than get the Mages involved to take back on of their own, see if they can point out how easy taking a Mage was and all the benefits that came from it.

Find another Vampire who has some motivation and drive to reach the top. Make them think that the Prince holds his position because of the pet mage.

They might not be able to get around the alarms and defenses on the Elder, but if they are distracted enough it might not matter.

Also, a good bet would be to set up some sort of eyes-on system using the local wildlife. Using them as surveillance.
>>
File: 1423223532178.gif (448 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1423223532178.gif
448 KB, 200x183
>>43994503
I agree, Apocalypse IS fucking dumb. But who knows, maybe you could write for the OFFICIAL Geist 2e.(in 2022, of course.)
>>
>>43994468

The Ink Monkeys wrote a whole bunch of errata for Exalted 2e. It was a pretty big deal, and it helped bring life back to the game. When time came to do a third edition, it was a no brainer to bring them on board. Then two years happened.
>>
>>43992002

You're right.
Problem is: none of them want to hear it.
>>
>>43994559

My plans so far are

>a space x forces spell that allows her to sense when heat signatures enter the mill, like she gets a ping saying something 98 degrees just entered the area, which would let her know there are intruders
>forces x matter spell obscuring the entrance to the chamber where the elder is kept
>bound ghosts & zombies
>a space x death spell that causes anyone in a certain room of the mill (a tunnel leading to where the elder is kept) start to rot and suffer damage
>>
>>43994581
It's a dream. But for now I'll just "add to my portfolio" so to speak by doing homebrew. I've been thinking about trying to do one homebrew project a week. To see if I can.

Speaking of the Geist homebrew, actually...

I need ideas for
>Epitaphs
They're mostly Archetypes-as-Vice/Virtue
>Prey Blessing
Something weak, but generally useful; I keep coming on things that are too strong or only work in wilderness areas or with animals.
>Stricken Blessing
I can't settle; giving people the Sick condition is nice, but I worry if it's too strong.

I'm also tempted to reframe the Blessings as Conditions, in the same way Demons have them. Once per session you can pop your Condition for the ability, but if you do you miss out on the Beat.

Another thing that I'm still sussing out is giving Geists a social group. The term I want to use is Carnivals (krewes are the groups that work a float at a carnival). Each one will have a different outlook on Sin-eater's place in the world. I know one group I want to use is the villainous Cult of the Black Gate, from both Book of the Dead and the one full length Sin-eater SAS, Through The Ebon Gate. It's a cult that sees Sin-eaters as Godlike beings, and seeks to emulate or become them. They tend to intentionally get themselves Claimed or Ridden by Ghosts and Spirits.
>>
Why is the opening fiction of Mage the Awakening so shit?

I've heard this book got an award for it's writing?
>>
>>43992002
Was anyone in this thread complaining about SJWs?

Jesus, WW/OPP is one of the most progressive-leftist companies out there. They always have been, even when they fuck up at it and produce clownish accidental racism and the like instead, they've always been trying to do right by minorities and whatnot.
>>
>>43994711
Doing the blessings as a condition seems pretty effective, and maybe instead of the sickened condition, a tilt of some kind? Minor Poison tilt maybe? It's in the hurt locker.
>>
>>43994825
Dude he posts this exact post, same filename and everything, in the majority of the threads on the board on a regular basis.
Stop replying to it, please.
>>
>>43994711
Maybe for the prey blessing, maybe summoning a psychopomp for scouting?
>>
>>43994844
I've never seen it before. Thanks for the warning I guess.
>>
>>43994711
>Prey blessing
>Victims of nature
Environmental Tilts.
>>
>>43994333

That's a cute anime grill

I bet she likes mage
>>
>>43994875
Well now you know, I guess.
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/filename/ningyo%20hime.jpg
>>
File: Geist House Rules Overview.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Geist House Rules Overview.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43994835
Er, Sickened Tilt.

>Effect: This Tilt applies a general sickness to a character without worrying about the specific illness. For the purposes of this Tilt, a sickness is either “moderate” or “grave.” A moderate sickness, such as a cold, asthma, the flu, or just a bad hangover, causes a −1 penalty to all actions during combat. That penalty increases by one every two turns (the first two turns, the character suffers a −1 penalty, the next two turns the penalty is −2, and so on up to a maximum of −5 dice on turn 9). A grave sickness, such as pneumonia, heavy metal poisoning, or aggressive cancer, inflicts the same dice pool penalties as a mild sickness. In addition, however, the physical stress of fighting or even defending oneself from an attacker while gravely ill inflicts 1 point of bashing damage per turn of combat.

I think I'll switch things to Conditions. That means each will also have a Beat Condition. I'll need to think of that. As always, suggestions welcome. Although I'm thinking I could rephrase the Resonance as that.

How that works is in the first draft (file related), but basically if you skirt death you can harvest Plasm by rolling Synergy (I call it Knocking on Death's Door). If you do it in a way that resonates with your Threshold, you get to add Psyche.

>>43994860
That's a bit strong, innit?

>>43994882
I keep coming back to that one, yeah. Maybe only on one person, though.
>>
>>43994711

The key, I think, to creating a proper social group in a WoD game is to hone in on the theme of the game, and draw one big question out of it.

Here's what I mean:

Vampire: "What are you going to do tonight? How about tomorrow night? How about forever?" "I will rule over my lot/atone for my sins/search for the deeper mysteries/change this world/see just how much I can change myself."

Werewolf: "What do you hunt?" "I hunt the Claimed/I hunt Mankind/I hunt other Werewolves/I hunt Spirits/I hunt Hosts"

Mage: "What is magic to you?" "Magic is freedom/Magic is to be protected/Magic is a tool/Magic is a study/Magic is a weapon"

Promethean's is "What's important about Humanity?", Changeling's is "How do I cope?". Hunter's is "How do I maintain the Vigil?", Mummy's is "What is my purpose?" and Demon's is "How will I operate?". The last two are a bit more literal, but the question's still important.

There's more nuance to the questions and answers than this summary, and those'll pop up in play and in further examination of the setting, but a core question is a great place to start. For you, perhaps you could start with the one question Geist 1e doesn't answer: "What do I do with my second chance?" If there's anything that determines a Sin-Eater's place in the world, it's going to be that.
>>
>>43994860
Perhaps it could be used for one task only such as seeking a ghost or person.
>>
>>43994681

Consider the core notions behind good surveillance:

1. You don't want people to know they are being watched. You don't want your surveillance to be gaudy and obvious. Have it subtle. Spells, ghosts and zombies are extremely hot surveillance and, depending on who is coming in, are usually easy for any supernatural to ping and spot.

2. You want your target to think they know how they are being watched. If they come in expecting a camera and see one semi-decently hidden, they'll think they've found your surveillance and work around that. You want this to happen, because your real cameras are set to watch that action.

It's not just a question of what you do, but how you do it.

Of course the BIG question is - if the Prince knows that this Elder is kept there, why have they left them and not moved them somewhere more low key?
>>
>>43995307
Honestly, I think the environmental tilts are better, and more in line with the other blessings.
>>
Does anyone have Tales from the 13th Precinct? A friend is wanting to run a Changeling campaign in New York City.
>>
So, there's a lot of WoD shit out there, and I'm completely uninitiated to all of it. I'm wanting to start a game with some irl friends who don't have a lot of experience with ttrpgs and I'm interested in WoD. Which book is the most accessible for people who are new, not just to WoD, but to tabletop in general?
>>
>>43995418
>Tales from the 13th Precinct

Your Google-Fu is weak.

http://www.danicat.com/nwod/nWoD/World%20of%20Darkness/World%20of%20Darkness%20-%20Tales%20from%20the%2013th%20Precinct.pdf
>>
File: Hunter Starter Kit.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Hunter Starter Kit.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43995444
This is a hard question to answer, because we're in a bit of a period of extended upheaval in the WoD fandom. They just switched to a much better system, but the corebook hasn't come out for it yet, and the original corebook is getting out of date really fast. All the games are also pretty involved, and most of them (except the 2e versions) require you to have existing materials.

If you're willing to wait (thought it might be a few weeks or a few months) the 2e core is coming out SOON™. If you're willing to put some pieces together, you could also buy the WoD corebook and use the free rules update to play a bog standard mortals game.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/1124/World-of-Darkness-Rulebook?it=1
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/114078/World-of-Darkness-GodMachine-Rules-Update
Or, if you're into ̶p̶i̶r̶a̶c̶y̶ "try before you buy", you can see the corebook here:
http://www.bearsinlove.net/temp/WoD/World%20of%20Darkness%20-%20Core%20Rulebook.pdf
Although if your group is savvy enough to not get lost (since the site has dead links and making sure you're on GMC instead of regular is a bit of trouble), you really only need this web resource.
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod2/wod2.0/CreationGMC.html

I've also linked a thing I made to try and get my friends to play (we haven't, because card and board games, or RPGs like Fiasco are easier when I can actually hang out with them). It's a very simple rundown of Hunter: The Vigil, though it doesn't have the Merit's list:
http://www.thesubnet.com/portal/wod2/wod2.0/CreationMeL.html
>>
>>43995444
I'd stick with the corebook before getting into any splats. nWoD is easier for newer people, there's less metaplot and it's more tools to play these supernatural horror games. After that look into running one splat for your group. I personally reccomend Changeling the Lost or Mage the Awakening. One thing I maintain however and that many may disagree with is crossing over splats. I don't reccomend it at all. Stick to one splat per campaign, since each splat has it's own themes that can clash or become diluted when you start adding different splats, not to mention it gets complicated mechanically as well.
>>
>>43995575

Hunter has Mortal Remains, it's own "official" quasi-2e update,
>>
>>43995575
>>43995444
>ALTERNATELY
Just buy Vampire: the Requiem Second Edition.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123898/Vampire-The-Requiem-2nd-Edition
It's all you need to play a vampire, which is the easiest of the current games to get into. You can also try it out with this quickstart, but I've had bad experiences with quickstarts:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/114063/Reap-the-Whirlwind

There's also Werewolf, which while more involved and a bit harder to grok for newbies (since vampire social structure is being high schoolers, while Werewolves have a whole separate reality to deal with)
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145541/Werewolf-the-Forsaken-2nd-Edition

Demon: The Descent, which while pretty awesome is super not that great for newbies, with it's conceptual powers and the way that it asks you to play someone very alien.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/124155/Demon-The-Descent
>>
File: thumbs up soldier.jpg (29 KB, 419x349) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up soldier.jpg
29 KB, 419x349
>>43995561
Thanks anon.
>>
>>43995606
Yeah, but I'm not going to tell a new person "Buy two books and get a free rules update PDF and then figure out how to combine them when you've never had any experience with the game".
>>
>>43995416
Fair enough, so lets say only one person gets affected by the tilt like the other blessings would you say the its a purely mental effect so in only they see it, or would everyone that could see a manifestation be able to see the blessing?
>>
>>43995314

It's an abandoned lumber mill in the forest, so it is pretty low key. The prince put the elder in an underground chamber beneath the mill. The main floor is guarded by ghosts. So even if a supernatural detects ghosts in the abandoned mill, they won't assume that the ghosts are guarding a vampire elder; they'll assume its just a haunted old mill. A mage might recognize what's going on, if he stumbles upon the mill, but in turn the prince would probably quickly figure out that another mage is meddling and react more directly (by sending a few of his underlings to just attack that mage once he has an ID, 5 vampires with the right disciplines will most likely be enough to handle the unlucky sorceror).
The more overt spells, such as bans, zombies, rotting flesh, and the like would be confined to the underground chambers, so that anyone who is actually aware of the elder and moving in to free him are stopped.
>>
>>43995616

I agree. I just thought it was worth mentioning for everyone else that Hunter does have an update book (although it's not great).
>>
File: Becoming_a_Sin_eater.jpg (303 KB, 1076x916) Image search: [Google]
Becoming_a_Sin_eater.jpg
303 KB, 1076x916
>>43995416
Excluding the Inferno tilt, I'd assume. >>43995656
Probably a visual effect, but only visible to Sin-eaters and other supernaturals, like Mage sight.
>>
>>43995671

Another great source of inconspicuous surveillance and potential supplemental defense, particularly at night, and also capable of being produced and utilized by both the Moros and vampires, is zombie and ghoul animals.

An amped squirrel or owl minion is probably better than any video camera and alarm, and doesn't raise any suspicion.
>>
>>43995416
>>43995656
The main problem is that Environmental Tilts are *really good*, and also I kinda want to reuse them for Boneyard stuff. I'm thinking I might just make it a -1 from atavistic presence or something like that. Currently looking through Beast, Werewolf, and Hunter. Although giving the target a Condition probably wouldn't be TOO bad...

Also, Forgotten:
Should I allow them to reroll a failure at -1 (or +1?) or allow them to force someone else to reroll, or allow both?

>>43995701
Hey, hey. Mortal Remains is pretty awesome.
>>
>>43995671

Then you've pretty much covered it all. Now it's up to your players to come up with the ideas that attack the flaws in your plans and exploit them.
>>
>>43995773
I think Forgotten should force others to reroll, at a -1. It feels more useful, and worth losing a potential beat over.
>>
>>43994287
>>43994162
>>43994415
Dickery or not, the likeliest scenario is they'll just lose motivation a third of the way in again, delay turning in the manuscript by 7 months and get dropped like a hot potato, since a dev that doen't has no use no matter what else they (don't) do.
>>
>>43995861

Are you for real?
>>
>>43995871
A third of the way in? Turn in a manuscript?
I'm just homebrewing. You know, for funsies.
The likeliest scenario is that I don't submit anything because I don't think I have the concentration.

>>43995865
Eh. I decided not to do a Condition. Although mostly because the Prey tripped me up again. I wasn't sure how to tie it to their theme (which is also apparently patterns...)
>>
>>43995773
Would the -1 be for one action, or for longer amount of time? If it's for one action it hardly seems equal to the other blessing.
>>
File: Pyre Flame Rage.gif (2 MB, 425x270) Image search: [Google]
Pyre Flame Rage.gif
2 MB, 425x270
>>43995907
Not going with the condition, huh? Bummer. I thought it was a pretty good idea. Any idea how you'd alter the manifestations? Maybe make their die pools manifestation+psyche like all the other groups; not off skills and attributes?
>>
>>43995924
Just reroll, then? That actually probably wouldn't be too bad. I don't know why I felt like putting the reroll at a penalty last time. Hell, maybe even rerolling a failed roll at +1 would be fine. Once per scene.

>>43995949
I might go back to it.

As for the Manifestations, I'm going to take inspiration from Princess: The Hopeful, with the way that Invocations and Charms work. I'm also going to relabel the individual aspects of a Manifestation "Unlocks", in the same way that Gifts have Facets.

Still in the thinking about it phase, but basically you use the basic aspect of the Manifestation (Boneyard expands senses, Rage deals damage, Curse penalizes others) and can add the power of an Unlock when you do. I'll need to read over Princess' Charms/Invocations again, though.
>>
>>43996074
Sounds interesting, hope to see it soon. Will you do Stygian and Pit as well? I'm aware that they aren't core, but Stygian needs some balancing.
>>
>>43996192
Maybe.

Doing the Manifestations was one of the things that stopped me up last time.
>>
>>43996192
Pit needs balancing. It lowers composer by success up to a -5.
>>
>>43996231
I believe in you, faggot-kun.
>>43996232
Both book of the dead things are pretty strong.
>>
I went with a sort of tracking for the Blessing.

The Prey know where you are.
>>
>>43995907
>A third of the way in? Turn in a manuscript?
>I'm just homebrewing. You know, for funsies.
I think they were saying that if you got contracted you'd give up a third of the way through writing your piece and just never do it.

Even though that'd be insane, because breaking your contract is a very bad idea.
>>
>>43996752
Yeah. Fear of fucking up a contract is why I don't want to get into the contract.
>>
>>43995184
I like you.
>>
What was the name of those underworld denizens who were never the result of sentients dying? Not Kerberoi, the others.
Is it just me, or would a 'generational' system where a Sin-Eater could later return as a Geist if they died of natural causes be interesting?
>>43994711
>. The term I want to use is Carnivals
Troupe?
>>
This might be a terribly stupid question, but is it safe to say that in mainline WoD it'd be impossible to ever create true AI because Azoth hijacks the entire thing each time someone gets too close?
>>
>>43997299
Nah. I mean, it CAN happen, but far, far from certain.
>>
>>43997299
Wait, really?
So unless you've made a supernatural A.I. on your own, any mundane one will attract a spark which turns it into a Promethian.
>>
>>43997880
It has a chance to become an Extempore, yeah.
>>
>>43997285
>What was the name of those underworld denizens who were never the result of sentients dying? Not Kerberoi, the others.

Cthonians
>>
>>43997880
>So unless you've made a supernatural A.I. on your own, any mundane one will attract a spark which turns it into a Promethian.
Yep. It's brilliant, really. As far as AI VERBOTEN settings go this would be a rather decent justification-
>>
>>43997938
>Cthonians
Oh thanks. On a scale from hateful spirit of hate to fairly benevolent deity from IRL mythology, how monosyllabic and alien do they tend to be?
>>
>>43997976
Pretty far on the left side, I think.
>>
>>43997976

From Summoners:

"With the possible exception of some of the most unusual beings of the Astral Realm, cthonians may well be the strangest entities in the entirety of the Fallen World. They are utterly without anything even remotely approaching a human perspective. While capable of feigning meaningful interaction with a willworker, those few mages who have managed to scan the thoughts of a cthonian (and not come away mad from the process) have discoverd that these entities do not seem to actually process these communications within the core of what passes for their minds. Instead, dealing with a summoner is,for them, more akin to reflexively scratching an itch: the action addresses a momentary inconvenient, but occurs without conscious thought or effort and is soon after utterly forgotten.

"Physically, cthonians are loathsome. One may take the form of a rotting blob of formless Corpus, for instance, or a soupy cloud of noxious gas. Another is a bubbling, greasy heap, comprised of a seething soup of decomposing organic matter, with the occasional jutting bone, half-putrefied organ, or leering skull jutting out of its otherwise undifferentiated mass. Yet another takes the shape of a festering, slimy, horse-sized hybrid of housefly, death's head moth, and cockroach. Cthonians invariably adopt forms that call to mind the most grotesque processes of death, particularly those associated with scavenging and mortality."

So... Exceedingly monosyllabic and alien. They're the Underworld's natives (as opposed to ghosts, the original immigrant population, if you like) and they sometimes consume ghosts.
>>
>>43998086
>>43998055

>They're the Underworld's natives (as opposed to ghosts, the original immigrant population, if you like)
#RemoveGhostScum
Hm. Thanks.
>PDF only
Oh fuck everything. I hope Paradox change this. Somehow. Because FUCK PDFs.
>>
>>43998134
I was going to complain about you being dumb, but... huh.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/60624/Summoners
How is this like the only PDF only product?
You can purchase hardcopies of the $0.00 quickstarts and free April Fools Day products.
>>
>>43998156
...Huh.

I will ask.
>>
>>43998134
Everyone forgets Casper at times like this #NotAllGhosts
>>
>>43998156
>You can purchase hardcopies of the $0.00 quickstarts and free April Fools Day products.
I don't even.
>I was going to complain about you being dumb, but... huh.
>http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/60624/Summoners
>How is this like the only PDF only product?
Pretty sure it's not. Actually, let me just count. I actually have something resembling a group nowadays and I keep running into books that aren't. PDFs are pure sadism for games.
>>
>>43998185
>Everyone forgets Casper at times like this #NotAllGhosts
...at least Movie Casper - as well as the other ghosts - seem like Wraiths, come to think of it. What with the one girl getting consumed simply for giving in to her shadow.
>>
>>43998156
>>43998179
DTRPG is weird. Fantasy AGE is a top seller but you still can't buy it PoD last I checked.

...speaking of which, I wonder how many of the people buying that thing ever play it. They're essentially selling something as barebones as FAE at full price.
>>
For Geist.

Ghost archetypes or not? Sort of like... Kiths, basically. Because as is I don't know if adding a third Vice/Virtue is all that great. The original idea was giving the Geist an Anchor called a Passion that acts as a third Vice/Virtue for the Sin-eater, reaffirming the reason the Geist wanted to give the Bargain in the first place. I was actually going to outright use some of the Mask/Dirge Archetypes, and the first time I almost ran Geist with my houserules, I told the players to just do that.

The other option is giving Geist something similar to Kiths, where your Geist has mechanics associated with it based on what type of ghost it is. This would determine its reason for wanting to come back, what kind of things it struggles with you over (I really need a better term for Geist-Frenzy; "Possession" seems like it could be confusing), as well as decide what you can spend Plasm on for your Key Skill. Also which Manifestations you've got affinity for.

>>43998187
PDFs take up no space, cost less, are searchable, and technically can be shared infinitely between a group, especially because OPP doesn't watermark theirs.
Most people these days also have phones or tablets or other mobile devices capable of reading PDFs easily, to the point that Microsoft is actually moving towards tablets for the casual user (which is why Windows 8 and 10 look like phones), and even then laptops are incredibly common. I go to Pathfinder Society organized play games sometimes, and a majority of people either use their phone/tablet/laptop for running the game and keeping the PDF, or for assisting. (I of course spread printouts across half the table).

>>43998240
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/153066/Fantasy-AGE-Basic-Rulebook
>NOTE: This book is available as part of a print pre-order package on the Green Ronin site and through participating brick and mortar stores.
Also, full price? It's only $16. That's not that much.
>>
>>43998285
>Also, full price? It's only $16. That's not that much.
Huh, must have misremembered. Still much for barely containing stats for anything and being a "new" line using an old rulesystem for a game that itself had very little support.

I'm pretty sure more people played Orpheus than Dragon Age RPG.
>>
>>43998285
>and the first time I almost ran Geist with my houserules, I told the players to just do that.
Did they bail from your Disquiet?
>>
>>43998285
>Ghost archetypes or not? Sort of like... Kiths, basically. Because as is I don't know if adding a third Vice/Virtue is all that great. The original idea was giving the Geist an Anchor called a Passion that acts as a third Vice/Virtue for the Sin-eater, reaffirming the reason the Geist wanted to give the Bargain in the first place. I was actually going to outright use some of the Mask/Dirge Archetypes, and the first time I almost ran Geist with my houserules, I told the players to just do that.
>The other option is giving Geist something similar to Kiths, where your Geist has mechanics associated with it based on what type of ghost it is. This would determine its reason for wanting to come back, what kind of things it struggles with you over (I really need a better term for Geist-Frenzy; "Possession" seems like it could be confusing), as well as decide what you can spend Plasm on for your Key Skill. Also which Manifestations you've got affinity for.
I like both of these ideas.
>>
>>43998326
>Did they bail from your Disquiet?
That is not how Disquiet works, it makes the people around you violently insane in some form or other.
>>
File: Dead Men's Tales.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dead Men's Tales.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43998326
Nah. Did a bunch of research, but my computer is shit, none of my three players could play at the same time, one of them was just super pestery with the whole "when can we play, when's the game, when will we start, let me tell you about my character" thing while another player was never even around, and my motivation crapped out while I was still writing up the setting notes.
>>
>>43998372
>Nah. Did a bunch of research, but my computer is shit, none of my three players could play at the same time, one of them was just super pestery with the whole "when can we play, when's the game, when will we start, let me tell you about my character" thing while another player was never even around, and my motivation crapped out while I was still writing up the setting notes.
Such is the nature of online games.
>>
File: Nassau.png (356 KB, 1223x2278) Image search: [Google]
Nassau.png
356 KB, 1223x2278
>>43998372
Doesn't help that the whole thing was kind of tied to my homebrew/houserules and I still hadn't done anything with the Manifestations or Ceremonies.

>>43998387
Indeed.
I will say that Whenisgood.com is pretty helpful on the "can you people even make it?" front.

>>43998319
>I'm pretty sure more people played Orpheus than Dragon Age RPG.
Nah. Dragon Age was on not one but TWO episodes of Tabletop, and anything that's on Tabletop sells out that week. On top of that, the whole reason AGE is a thing (if I'm understanding it) is Wil Wheaton asked if they could make a generic version that he could use in his show, which is also what they're pimping out on the DTRPG page there and what seems to be getting them so many preorders.
>>
>>43998285
>(I really need a better term for Geist-Frenzy; "Possession" seems like it could be confusing),
Furor.
Anyways
>The other option is giving Geist something similar to Kiths, where your Geist has mechanics associated with it based on what type of ghost it is.
That. Call it Menagerie.

-Ecstasy (Sensation, experiencing life again)
-Terror (Vengeance, fucking up someone in the real wor... is there a formal term for that like Skinlands in cWoD?)
-Patronage (Curiosity, learning of things and how they changed since the Geist's passing)
-Creation (Aspiration, completing some kind of work in the real world)
-Edict (Zeal, making your message be heard beyond the veil of death)
>>
>>43998455
>-Edict (Zeal, making your message be heard beyond the veil of death)
GHOST COMMIES GHOST NAZIS GHOST OBJECTIVISTS
>>
>>43998455
Sounds good, but why Menagerie?

I was also a bit worried about making the Geist's thing too similar to the Epitaph (essentially Archetype; how you deal with ghosts), but after a little bit of thought, I realize that's actually good. The Geist wants you to do things that may or may not be in line with how you'd rather deal with that shit.
>>
>>43998486
>but after a little bit of thought, I realize that's actually good. The Geist wants you to do things that may or may not be in line with how you'd rather deal with that shit.
Exactly. Go too low on Synergy and it goes >>43998468
CLASS WARFARE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee-- on your ass.
>Sounds good, but why Menagerie?
Because
>>43994711
>(krewes are the groups that work a float at a carnival).
this.
>>
>>43998455

I think the closest we have to a term for the "Real World" is Mage's The Fallen World and even that's not totally accurate. Skinlands might be too dramatic to borrow for nWoD. "The Land of the Living" is a common term but takes up too many words. Calling it The Solid sounds too 90s. Anyone have any other ideas?
>>
>>43999435
The Prime Materia-- STOP HITTING ME STOP HITTING ME
>I think the closest we have to a term for the "Real World" is Mage's The Fallen World and even that's not totally accurate.
Especially since it extends everywhere including the Astral.
>>
>>43998455
I like the way you think Anon.
>>
>>43999454

Get in the locker, nerd.

But yeah, that's exactly why Geist would probably need another term. That or let ghosts travel to the Astral and all other parts of the Fallen, which would be fine by me.

The Material World isn't too bad a term, actually, if you don't mind your older friends constantly re-enacting a Madonna video every time you name drop it.
>>
>>43999454
On a totally unrelated note, I think you could pull off Vietnam War Geist quite well.
>>
>>43999535

I'd agree. An easy plot hook: that tape the US Army played that had recordings of ghosts to scare VietCong into laying down their weapons? Not a tape.
>>
This is the year I save Christmas, /WoDg/
>>
File: embracing the Rage.jpg (42 KB, 680x465) Image search: [Google]
embracing the Rage.jpg
42 KB, 680x465
>>43999494
>I like the way you think Anon.
How would you feel about players rolling for their Geist's Menagerie rather than picking it?
>>43999435
Oh ya, Fallen World was a thing, but 1) It's inaccurate and 2) There's good reason to believe that it's just not relevant to the existence of anyone else. Father Wolf was before, the GM is temporally integrated into everything, Arcadia is Arcadia, Azoth is inherently foreign to reality anyway etc etc.
>The Solid
Now I imagine a ghost biker gang high-fiving going "TOTALLY SOLID BRO!" "FUCKKEN MATERIAL", "MEATY JOB" etc. I'm stuck between giggling and cringing; It is a weird feeling.
>>
>>43999585
>How would you feel about players rolling for their Geist's Menagerie rather than picking it?
I'd be okay with it.
>>
>>43995561
Everyone's Google-Fu is weak. They're too fucking lazy to actually do the google.
>>
>>43999585

Rolling or ST Choice is the way to go, I think.

>I'm stuck between cringing and giggling; It is a weird feeling

That's the sensation of 90s gaming you're feeling.
>>
>>43999550
Any ideas of ways you would become a Sin-Eater (Both in the 'Nam and on the American side of things.)?
>>
>>43995444
To echo the others, the NWoD core book (which can also be mostly gotten as free rules in the Nightmare at Hill Manor quickstart from DTRPG) is your best bet. It's the modern horror game of mortals involved in the supernatural; you can look at TV series like Sleepy Hollow, Supernatural, Kolchack the Night Stalker, and even X-Files. It has all the basic rules needed to play mortals. In fact, I think the Nightmare quickstart plus the GMC rules update (the 2e compatible rules for mortals, also free) sets you up with literally everything you need.

From there, if they want to play various supernatural creatures, you have to get their appropriate corebook. In 1e (which has the most splats, or supernatural types), which layer on top of the core.

If you go 2e, you just need the 2e core appropriate (Vampire, Werewolf and Demon).
>>
>>43999636

There's an awfully large amount of ways for it to happen, really: war casualties, war crimes, dying in the jungle, drug overdose, stuff like that.
>>
>>43999713
The first two look good for the Torn, Dying in the Jungle might fit a Forgotten and Drug Overdose seems like it might be a Stricken-y thing.
>>
File: Stricken.jpg (157 KB, 500x739) Image search: [Google]
Stricken.jpg
157 KB, 500x739
>>43998455
>>43999435
>>43999454
"The Above" is what I'll probably go with, though Skinlands and Upperworld and even Terra Vitae are terms that might be used.

Also, I can't really find any info about Menageries. A lot of uses of the term, but no explanation. Hit me with a link so I can properly describe and/or reference it. Currently a Geist is made up of a Passion and an Aspect (taken from the Mythic Aspect of the Tier 3 Krewe stuff).
The Passion is basically a sort of Anchor-but-Aspiration, that grants "Dead Beats" (thanks to whoever suggested that, you're a horrible person). The Aspect is essentially the ghostly special ability of the Geist, which functions like a Kith blessing. Not sure about using Furor. It's too close to Frenzy, and I don't know if it's the "feel" I'm going for, which is the Geist being driven by a sort of... I don't know, desire. FERVOR I might use, because that has religious connotations.

>>43999585
GM choosing Geist is actually a pretty neat idea.

>>43999611
It is worth keeping in mind that Google analytics means that not everyone sees the same thing when they Google.

>>43999636
Remember that sickness has killed more people than anything else ever in the history of the world (pic related). You've also got the Fullmetal Jacket style Gomer Pyle "I can't take this shit" Silent, as well as people who died in the jungle. And there is, of course, plenty of accidents to be had. Like Friendly Fire Forgotten.

>>43999746
>Dying in the Jungle might fit a Forgotten
You mean Prey. Also, drug overdose is probably better as Silent. That usually results in choking on your own vomit and suffocating, but addiction is more of a Silent thing.
>>
So I ended up playing my first game of Vampire in what feels like a decade and thought I'd post the coterie my group used since it's full of fairly amusing characters so far.
Right now we have;

>A Malkavian who's relatively stable who's only Dementia is mild synesthesia who is basically our Ventrue in terms of personality. Though he seems pretty normal most times he occasionally suffers violent mood swings when severely irritated and he abuses Dementation or Domination to make a person suffer for it.

>A Brujah who acts like the sluttiest chicano girl ever; she's either a stripper for fun or it's her genuine job and is generally emotional and sexy and almost Tremere-like, except she sometimes looses her temper and inflicts horrendous acts of megaviolence. Frequently uses Presence to find new boyfriends to adore her. Currently one of our two most dangerous members combat wise.

>A Mehket who's the oldest of the group (he's been a vampire since the late 80's) who briefly served in the Army to pay for collage but basically flitted through life as an outsider before his Embrace where his creator basically kidnapped him, made him his childer and forced him to be his protege in his convoluted schemes before he bailed on his sire at some point in the late 90's after being fed up with his mysterious know-it-all bullshit. Quite possibly still being manipulated, which he's extremely paranoid about.

>A Daeva Asian-American (mixed Korean-Japanese heritage) girl who's trying very, very hard to remain a good person while her morality slowly erodes away thanks to her bloodline curse. In between bouts of unhinged debauchery she feels intensely guilty and then goes back to being a charitable angel. Though primarily a social character she's actually a decent fighter.

>A Gangrel girl who's very inquisitive and interested in supernatural stuff, endlessly looking into occult stuff, regardless of how implausible it is, very Muldur-like. Weirdly perky.
>>
>>43999869

Not that poster, but I think the logic seems to be that travelling carnivals and circuses used to be called "menageries". In theory, though, the social splat should probably be called "Lines", implying that all the splats ideally serve their purpose in The Black Parade (you may now throw the eggs at me) and borrows from Second Line, a term for the brass band in a parade.
>>
>>43999929

Sounds like fun! VtM/VtR crossover setting, I take it? Do you use the translation guide?
>>
File: Unfleshed Sage.jpg (1002 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
Unfleshed Sage.jpg
1002 KB, 1920x1038
>>43999869
>Also, I can't really find any info about Menageries. A lot of uses of the term, but no explanation. Hit me with a link so I can properly describe and/or reference it.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/m%C3%A9nage
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/menagerie
It's also used for the area in which animals are stored for circus displays, evoking the idea of a prison (the underworld), a common type of cause (the Menageries I posted >>43998455 here) and entertainment (the return to life).
>>43999950
I'll be honest, I never cared for the culture but upon accidentally hearing MCR I kinda liked it. The message of the song itself is also INCREDIBLY positive compared to the band's contemporaries. Remember, that's when nuMetal was a thing.
>>43999622
>That's the sensation of 90s gaming you're feeling.
Pfff- Probably true.
>ST choice
Iunno, seems like it'd make things less enjoyably nonsensical.
>>
>>43999978
Yup, it's sort of a mixed-setting.
And we're using a mix of old and new WoD rules, so there's a lot of house stuff going on here.

So far the most amusing character is the Brujah girl because she's the least Brujah-like character ever (I guess I just associate it with the angry 90's white punk rebel archetype still) and she constantly flirts with people and talks about her "papi" of the month.
When we asked her what happened to the last one she, she casually replied
>"Oh, I caught him inside another girl and then broke every bone below his waist. Too bad, he had a nice ass."
We all laughed and then later found out she was completely serious when we passed the guy in a wheelchair.

Maybe it's just that the player sells it; she has a fairly boring accent in real life but her parents are native Spanish speakers and she can pull off the accent when she wants to.
>>
>>44000003

90s gaming was a magical time. I'm glad Trenchcoats and Katanas is a thing so I can get a tiny taste of that feeling back.

Also the way I see it is this: if MCR is good enough for Grant Morrison, it's probably good enough for culture. Gerard Way can write some pretty good comic books too, so I'm gonna say the band's existance is a net positive.

>>44000071

That's awesome! I hope you keep the thread posted about your game, we need more actual play stories.

Also I guess /tg/ got a GET. I wonder what it was, or if this board even cares about that kind of thing.
>>
>>44000151
>Also I guess /tg/ got a GET. I wonder what it was, or if this board even cares about that kind of thing.
>>44000000
>>
>>44000071
>So far the most amusing character is the Brujah girl because she's the least Brujah-like character ever
I dunno, it seems pretty Brujah to me, though Gangrel might be decent-ish fit as well.
>And we're using a mix of old and new WoD rules, so there's a lot of house stuff going on here.
Care to post it up?
>>
>>44000426

I can see why it seems like an atypical Brujah. White Wolf really wanted to push them as the political radical faction for a while, like proto-Carthians. If I remember right, Brujahs at one point were supposed to talk to each other in rap battles.
>>
>>43999522
If I remember Astral Realms correctly, there are a rare few ghosts in the Temenos, near the Realm of Death. I'm away from my books, but I remember something about a sort of shanty town of ghosts from various eras living on the edges of Death's Realm, the mysterie being how the hell they got there, and if they came from the Underworld, where the connection is.
>>
>>43999869
>It's too close to Frenzy, and I don't know if it's the "feel" I'm going for, which is the Geist being driven by a sort of... I don't know, desire. FERVOR I might use, because that has religious connotations.
Oh wait, I didn't see this. Mania/Hysteria? Though Fervor seems pretty gud too.

Additional term: Idée Fixe. It correlates to your Geist's Menagerie/((>>43999950)), Line and specifies what your Geist came back for. Indulging your Geist's Idée Fixe can be used to temporarily raise Synergy and/or regain Willpower, meaning that even Sin-Eaters (PCs and NPCs) who don't much care about their Geist's interests might pursue the Idée Fixe from time to time in order to get stronger.

Since this is only a carrot it allows one to model the Geist's influence without actively impinging on player agency.
>>44000151
>Also the way I see it is this: if MCR is good enough for Grant Morrison, it's probably good enough for culture. Gerard Way can write some pretty good comic books too, so I'm gonna say the band's existance is a net positive.
Hah, point.
>90s gaming was a magical time. I'm glad Trenchcoats and Katanas is a thing so I can get a tiny taste of that feeling back.
I need to play that one day.
>>
>>44000590

That's a good mechanic but I think the name could use a change. Krewe's already a word that makes people groan and roll their eyes, I've seen it happen. I think the only game that pull off the big fancy terms is Vampire and maybe Mage.
>>
File: Sacred Linchpin.jpg (470 KB, 2480x1367) Image search: [Google]
Sacred Linchpin.jpg
470 KB, 2480x1367
>>44000892
>That's a good mechanic but I think the name could use a change. Krewe's already a word that makes people groan and roll their eyes, I've seen it happen. I think the only game that pull off the big fancy terms is Vampire and maybe Mage.
...fair enough.
Craving? "Obsession" is a bit /too/ straightforward and "I/It crave(s)" is easier to say than "I/It obsess about".
>>
>>44000892
>Krewe's already a word that makes people groan and roll their eyes, I've seen it happen.

That's just because they're unfamiliar with the spelling of it. If they called it "Crew" no one would bat an eye. They just assume it's some pretentious variant like "magick" or "womyn."
>>
>>44000992

You'd think, but it explaining it seems t bring on an "uuuuuugh" reaction too. Might just be the folks I hang out with, I suppose.
>>
>>44000003
>It's also used for the area in which animals are stored for circus displays
That's the kind I'm more familiar with.
It isn't a bad idea, it's just that "Menagerie" is more of a group thing, while this is what each individual Geist would be. The races, basically.

>>43999950
I'm going with Carnival for the social splats. Menageries was suggested as a term for the types of Geist (although current notes have it where they don't get a type, they're just built in three parts).

>>44000892
What's wrong with Krewe? I've never had a problem with it, and I like it. Plus, Changeling crossover means a Motley Krewe. Certainly no worse than Coterie.

>>44000590
>Idée Fixe
Ooh. I've been using Passion, but that's also got style. I'll admit I'll probably stick to Passion, though; typing the accent is harder, and I prefer one words. I'll definitely throw that into the description of them, though.

My idea is also that they give Beats specific for Geist related things, like Unlocks or Merits or Psyche.

How do you lot feel about Synergy that takes from Werewolf? A lot of people seem to think that would be good, and Synergy is also supposed to measure something similar to Harmony.

I'm thinking at 0 and 11 Synergy, you're either a Wretched or one of the Vacant. Wretched is close to Death, meaning the Geist can take you over pretty much whenever , while Vacant is too close to Life, meaning that you reject your Geist and your nature as a psychopomp. Ironically I'm thinking that in some cases being Wretched might actually result in a "better" person, based on a friend who's Geist was less of a bad person compared to his Sin-eater.
This is also the person who plays that Mastigos who mindrapes himself into being a decent human being. I'm just noticing the pattern...

But yeah. Carrot/Stick game mechanics are the best.

>>44000958
Obsession is already used, in Mage. This is why I'm still leaning towards Passion.
>>
>>44001203
>Plus, Changeling crossover means a Motley Krewe
Shame that a Changeling can't actually BE a Sin Eater though.
>>
>>44001203
>Carrot/Stick game mechanics are the best.
Shame most Geists will just use Stick, or hit you over the head with the Carrot.
>>
>>44001339
Better than before, where Geist had only the vague implication of a carrot or stick that should exist but didn't.
>>
>>43999565
>This is the year I save Christmas, /WoDg/

Are you planning on releasing Mage 2e before the holidays?
>>
>>44001203
>Obsession is already used, in Mage. This is why I'm still leaning towards Passion.
...I think that and >>44000590 are the same person...
Craving is the best, passion sounds too Vampiry.
>>
>>43991675
mega:#fm/sggD3Shb

Oi. I went to the trouble of uploading 800 files to mega so you nerds wouldn't have to hunt down a torrent. Include it in the OP.
>>
>>43998455
>>43998502
>>43999585
>>44000003
>>44000590
>>44000958
You're okay random picturefag, you can stay.
>>
>>44001604
I'm trying to access your link but it's either not existent, sends me to the frontpage or tells me the code is wrong.

Can you please put the link into an image if 4chan forces you to mange it to such a degree?
>>
>>44000151
>That's awesome! I hope you keep the thread posted about your game, we need more actual play stories.
I'll try.
The GM I've played with before: she GMed what is hands down the BEST (and one of the only) actual games of Exalted I've ever played, so she knows the Storyteller System at least.
>>44000426
>Care to post it up?
I don't really know them all, I'm not GMing. I'm the Mehket.
Right now it seems similar to old Storyteller System, but some of the Disciplines work like they did in Requiem I think, or at least they don't work like I remember them being.
So far what I'm getting is that the VtM/VtR is more about combining the themes of both and getting both of their histories to some degree; vampires have unknown origins again, but the vampire church faction worships Caine and not Longinus, there's a Camarilla but it lacks the full power of the VtM version.
And Brujah now don't arbitrarily have a Spanish name despite having First City origins, they're actually Mesoamerican vampires, which makes Brujah something of an "American" clan according to older overseas Kindred.
>>
>>44001203

Werewolf's Harmony is a good idea and it mostly works, but it needs a clearer delineation of which drection is which on the sheet, or should be two separate tracks each.
>>
Blargh, I'm hitting one of those speedbumps where I'm not sure what to do.

I want to make the Geist meaningful, but I'm not really sure how, and I'm not sure any of my choices are working out. First off, there just aren't enough meaningful ghost types out there to make "ghost kiths" work, no matter how you handle it. Most of them are just straight up "Generic Thing" instead of having meaningful names like most of the Changeling Kiths, which means I'm left with just creating a list of powers without any associated character types.

The other thing is that I want to give the Geists a Predatory Aura/Hunter's Aspect/Nimbus sort of thing, but I can't figure out how to make that work. Current idea is that based on the *Geist's* Threshold you get a Haunting and based on the *Character's* Threshold you get the Blessing of their Horseman.

I'm also having trouble trying to justify the Keystone, which kind of feels tacked on. I mean, I love the Keystone, but it doesn't really DO anything. Maybe I'll emphasize the metaphorical key nature of it,making it a requirement that you have it manifested to perform certain things. I'm going to avoid repeating the whole "it gives +3 to things" aspect of it.
>>
>>44002911
>but it needs a clearer delineation of which drection is which on the sheet, or should be two separate tracks each.

I said this way back when Harmony was spoiled, but people did not agree that it would be confusing.

I also have a houserule for the Breaking Point dice pool. I just use a base 5 instead of Resolve + Composure. It never made sense to me how a werewolf could not apply high Willpower towards balancing out. By RAW, being of strong will has a high chance of anchoring you to either extreme somehow.
>>
>>44003843
The Geist types should be tied to a Desire. The thing that defines them and draws them back to the world of the living. It should be a cross between a vice and a Threshold.
>>
I've been out of the loop for a few months, although I've heard about the purchase of WW by Paradox.

Do we know if Onyx Path / WW intends to release the new World of Darkness corebook and Mage second edition before Christmas?
>>
>>44003968
>Desire
Ah, that's a good word.

But again, there's no real... terms I can use.
You can see I've got a list of ghosts at the bottom of the document, but most of them don't fit well with all five Thresholds.

Ghosts:
Dullahan
La Larona
Grim
Wild Hunt
Poltergeist
Moroi
Banshee
Onryo
Hitchhiker
Ghost Ship
Wendigo
Duppy
Toyol
Yuki-onna
Zashiki-warashi
>>
File: 1439398546215.jpg (27 KB, 415x423) Image search: [Google]
1439398546215.jpg
27 KB, 415x423
>>44004003
2e Core before Christmas?
Decent chance.

Mage 2e before Christmas...
MFW
>>
>>44004076
What if Saint Nick was a Mage? He'd be a Mastigos, right?
>>
>>44004092
Acanthus with Mind, probably.
>>
>>44004092
Wait I'm an idiot, he'd have Space, Time, Prime and Mind, wouldn't he?
>>
>>44004004
I'd remove Wendigo from that list. They're more of a spirit-like creature than a proper ghost.

What about something kind of generic, like "Haunt"?
>>
>>44003859

Honestly, two different colors on the track was all that was needed, with small "FLESH" and "SPIRIT" in Werewolf font in the colors. I think I'll shop future sheets I use to do just that.

>>44003843

What matters about the ghost is not the appearance. The player should have the freedom to design that for themselves. What really matters with a ghost is what keeps them a ghost.

It doesn't matter if the ghost is a White Lady or a La Llorona, what matters is that they're lingering reminders of loss and betrayal. The real categorization for ghost is "What keeps this thing roaming the Earth?" much like a Sin-Eater's threshold is "How did you die?"

I'd highly suggest you take a look at that Menagerie post again, because that's exactly the sort of categories you want. It's specific enough so that it gives you mechanical differences, but broad enough so that you're not trying to determine exactly how many Stamina dots the Kuchisake-onna has compared to the Man With No Skin On.
>>
>>44004112
Wouldn't he also have Space though, I mean, how else is he gonna get his fat arse down those chimneys?
>>
>>44004004
Don't give them ghost names, give them names that reflect what they're wanting.

>The Jilted
>The Revenant (no bear rape pls)
>The Craven
>The Remorseful

Shit like that.
>>
>>44004123
>Primetime
I shouldn't laugh.
>>44004142
Technically taken, same as Lament which I'd have proposed.
>>
>>44004181
So kinda like
>>44004144
>>43998455
Except for individuals?
>>
>>44004261
Yeah, why use different names for the same thing when you can just hone in more on what drives the entity?
>>
>>43997299
>is it safe to say that in mainline WoD it'd be impossible to ever create true AI because Azoth hijacks the entire thing each time someone gets too close?
It's never safe to say Azoth will reliably do ANYTHING, so no.
>>
>>44004261

Yeah! Part of the problem with approaching the Geist like a Changeling Kith is not only the huge number of ghosts with only slight differences, but also one of the genuinely fun parts of Geist is that you get to design your own Geist. I've seen so many creative Geist designs that would be lost if it was just "Banshee, but ______".

Kiths and Seemings work in Changeling because the Fae are all so dramatically different. Ghosts don't really have that luxury, because the number of ghost stories is far more limited.
>>
>>44004092
>>44004112
>>44004123

>What if Saint Nick was a Mage

Would Krampus be an Abysmal Acamoth?
>>
>>44004003
>>44004076
>2e Core before Christmas?
>Decent chance.
>Mage 2e before Christmas...
>MFW

Do we know the reason for any delays?
>>
>>44004241
>>Primetime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6NNJq0FZN4
>>
>>44004423
2e Core is stalled because it's waiting for Paradox approval. We don't know what that entails. During the CCP days that was usually a rubber stamp that allowed us to have the pdf a week later, but so far Paradox has apparently not green-lit the book which might mean a more rigorous approval process.
>>
>>44004460

That sucks. What about the Mage delays.

We've been getting spoilers for a couple of years, yet still no book.
>>
>>44004553
They're still working on all the art pieces and layout for Mage, it's probably got another month or two of work and just plain fiddling before he gets to the approval process, which again we have no idea how long that will take.
>>
>>44004460

It could mean that, but my bets on why it's taking so long is because White Wolf's gearing up for its appearance at Tenebrae Noctis, which was apparently a crowdfunded con.

http://www.ulisses-crowdfunding.de/crowdfunding-29.html here's the big event by the by. Ulisses Speil is running it, they're one of the big German RPG publishers.

White Wolf is still new as a company, so gearing up for a big German trip probably takes some time. On an interesting note, it seems that White Wolf really wants to make the Grand Masquerade happen in 2016. Anyone wanna go?
>>
>>44004553
>We've been getting spoilers for a couple of years, yet still no book.
All the text is done. It's been waiting on art to be contracted, get done, and come in for months now. Then the book needs to go through layout. Then it needs to be approved.
>>
>>44004647

I guess that hoping there's a playtest draft or leak for Mage floating around like Beast is just wishful thinking?
>>
>>44004705
>I guess that hoping there's a playtest draft or leak for Mage floating around like Beast is just wishful thinking?
Mage is actually being handled by someone competent, so no.
>>
>>44004705
>I guess that hoping there's a playtest draft or leak for Mage floating around like Beast is just wishful thinking?
Nope. Dave brought a complete copy of the text to GenCon, but that was a hardcopy.
>>
>>44004705

The play-test drafts were given a mild leak proofing, and as far as I know, none of the play-testers wants to get DaveB fired from Mage, so not a chance.
>>
>>44004405
No, Krampus is a Beast. The Krampus literally exists to teach a lesson to keep children behaving.
>>
>>44004732
>Nope. Dave brought a complete copy of the text to GenCon, but that was a hardcopy.

Damn Dark Ages dead wood technology...
>>
>>44005122

Books: somehow still a piracy prevention.
>>
>>44004752
>none of the play-testers wants to get DaveB fired from Mage

Amen. Could you even imagine Mage 2e with MattMcF or DavidH as the developer? ***shudder***
>>
>>44005164
>piracy prevention

How quaint.
>>
>>44004714
>>44004732

Darn.
>>
>>44005179

Eh, I don't think it'd be a shit show, but Dave's objectively the right choice. Malcolm Sheppard is also a decent second choice.
>>
Well, this is an awkward conversation to walk in on.
>>
>>44005876
You saw nothing.

...nothing.
>>
>>44005876

Hardly. You're a big boy and know not everyone on anonymous internet forums are angels.

Besides, most the of the discussion is about how people are happy you're the developer of Mage, and wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the situation. Take the compliments with grace and poise.

Better yet, use some of that cache to expedite the release of Mage 2e!
>>
>>44005876
I am sorry we failed you.
>>
>>44006040

Regretfully, I cannot. Long since out of my hands. All I can do is continue redlining the mage book *after* the 2e core.

My commiserations, though. You guys are waiting for a game to get released. I am, too, because when it is I get paid for it.
>>
>>44005876

I know you're in full speed Awakening mode, but what's the best Mage: The Ascension character you've ever played or seen someone play?
>>
>>44006109
>I am, too, because when it is I get paid for it.
F.U.N.
>>
>>44006119
I once played a very thinly-veiled Spider Jerusalem as a Virtual Adept. I died pissing on a Nephandi Labyrinth. It was the way I wanted to go.
>>
>>44006163

That's pretty much the best way to go out really. That or maybe going toe to toe with a souped up HIT Mark.
>>
>>44006109
>You guys are waiting for a game to get released. I am, too, because when it is I get paid for it.

I guess your Christmas is going to be a little less merry due to the delays. The art better be damn good for all the wait.

I at least hope the Paradox approvals move at a faster pace than with the new corebook, and that they don't demand any major changes.

>redlining the mage book *after* the 2e core.

Is that Signs of Sorcery or something else?
>>
>>44006246
>Is that Signs of Sorcery or something else?

Yeah, it's Signs. I'dve started spoiling it already, but it's kinda nonsensical without the 2e core. Expect excerpts pretty much as soon as 2e drops, though.
>>
>>44005876

On a less awkward note, if you've read the scenario with the Moros mage enslaved by the vampire from the very top of the thread along with the ensuing arguments, would the default position of most consilia or Seers in Mage 2e be to extricate the mage, or let her rot if she didn't have a great deal of prior political or personal support among local mages?
>>
>>44006344

*shrug* depends. I'd figure most mages would have at least *someone* who looks into their disappearance, but for a Storyteller character in a vampire chronicle, what's the problem?
>>
>>44006334

Feel free to spoil some material about the perfected metals and awakened alchemy.

Think of it as a holiday gift to your fans at /wodg/. :)
>>
>>44006402

Assuming it was a Mage chronicle, do mage politics generally default to "a mage enslaved by a vampire, that's intolerable!" or "she got herself into that mess, she can get herself out?"
>>
>>44006334
>Expect excerpts pretty much as soon as 2e drops, though.

Before or after the Legacy conversions and antagonist material?

A developers work is never done...
>>
>>44002097
mega:#fm/gsonRRKS

Apologies. Please try again.
>>
Give me some advices for running a Mage: the Ascension scenario. Are there any good pre-written material?
>>
>>44007036
mega:#fm/I9oDga6A this folder contains the quickstart, demo, and multiple premade adventures.
>>
>>44006402
Do any actual changes to the text get made during 'approval' or is it more just about marketing and corporate bullshit?
>>
>>44007302
The nWoD corebook is the first book Paradox have had to approve, so it's impossible to say.

CCP *did* send things back occasionally. It wasn't just a rubber stamp.
>>
>>44006163
>I once played a very thinly-veiled Spider Jerusalem as a Virtual Adept
Someone in my group is playing a very thinly-veiled Spider Jerusalem as a Free Councillor.

I wonder who else has done this.
>>
>>44007345
>CCP *did* send things back occasionally. It wasn't just a rubber stamp.
They sent Ex3 back quite a few times, IIRC.
>>
>>44007347
Transmet is pretty rad
>>
>>44006410
>:)
That just makes you look ingratiating and slimy.
>>
>>44008004

I know, everyone knows that when you want someone to do something for you, you use this emoticon: >:3
>>
>>44008062
So.
You are horrible, /tg/. I used 'clickety clack, get in my sack!' during the Changeling LARP today (the adventure was, a hob that looks like pic related is searching for some of his lost memories; the players agreed to help him find one lost in the archives of the bag's old owner, and he'd stop selling his wares there and move on). So the three of four players we had (some were out sick, sadly) ended up going into the bag, which is like the Room of Requirement on the inside.

They went adventuring, found the memory... and he was able to break the deal, as the 'new him' with the memory was not the same person, exactly, that made the deal.

And off he went to find the last two memories that would restore him to True Fae glory.
>>
>>44010342

Goddamn that's sneaky. Also now I'm going to have to find a way to put that phrase in my WoD game.
>>
>tfw suspecting Dave most likely didn't like Scelesti as much as you do and they got sidelined/retconned out in favour or some other threat
I HATE IT.
>>44004144
>I'd highly suggest you take a look at that Menagerie post again, because that's exactly the sort of categories you want. It's specific enough so that it gives you mechanical differences, but broad enough so that you're not trying to determine exactly how many Stamina dots the Kuchisake-onna has compared to the Man With No Skin On.
I feel loved.
>>44004004
I'm obviously biased here, but don't. Don't try to make them fit the mold of specific entities or even cliches. Ghosts usually have a reason for coming back so that might be far more relevant.
>>44001203
>How do you lot feel about Synergy that takes from Werewolf? A lot of people seem to think that would be good, and Synergy is also supposed to measure something similar to Harmony.
Theoretically, I feel like the idea quite a bit. In practice I find this kind of thing a PAIN to balance, and it/you/we already have way more moving parts than we did before.

>But yeah. Carrot/Stick game mechanics are the best.
Indeed.

Spitballing: Deathmask. An aura that grows with plasm pool and gives penalties to social and stealth rolls. HOWEVER, high Synergy allows others to grow accustomed to it, meaning that once a roll's been passed, it's passed forever unless you go FAR down.

A Deathmask can manifest in the form of Tells (inspired by Glitches from DtD), mental projections symbolizing the way the Sin-Eater died. These are however NOT perceivable through physical means.

For example: A Forgotten who drowned in a swamp will have cold clammy hands, but an IR recording will show their body temperature as completely normal.

This aids in underscoring the 'alien' nature of Sin-Eaters as well as the "slightly weird but ultimately well-liked travelling shaman" theme they got.

Taking tempname for this thing only so I can find my posts better later on, hope this is alright.
>>
>>44013726
A Deathmask is already a thing, what's left over when a Geist is destroyed.
>>
>>44013726
>This aids in underscoring the 'alien' nature of Sin-Eaters as well as the "slightly weird but ultimately well-liked travelling shaman" theme they got.
(Ran out of space)

Additionally, it provides a simple mechanic to make the "Eating ghosts" breaking point more potent as 1) High Plasm, Low Synergy is a place you get in easily by eating your ephemeral friends and 2) It would probably change your Deathmask (temporarily? permanently?) to signify the consciousnesses you've incorporated into yourself.
>>44013824
Oh welp, gotta adjust this somehow. Also stop devving when hung over and tired. Oh well.
>>
>>44013726
>>44013824
>>44013856
Veil?
>>
>>44013726
>Taking tempname for this thing only so I can find my posts better later on, hope this is alright.
That's literally what the namefield is for originally.
>>
File: 2eSilverLadder.jpg (87 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
2eSilverLadder.jpg
87 KB, 600x900
>>
Unless your ritual specifically requires white people or something, would any blood bather who hunts in the USA or Europe be a complete retard?

There 20 people going missing in a small area is a crime spree. But in the Middle East that's just another day, or in China/India there's so many people and such a weak government who would even notice.
>>
>>44015299
>or in China/India there's so many people and such a weak government who would even notice.

A weak government usually means a strong family/clan or village community. And they will abso-fucking-lutely notice if someone goes missing. There's no police or intelligence agency in the world that can hold a candle to the gossip ladies of a small town.
>>
>tfw Mummy
>>
>>44015455
>Mummy
>fw
Doubt.
>>44015360
>>44015299
You'll want big-ish cities in Africa, social support structures in those tend to be heavily fragmented due to continuous influx of people and fractures along local languages.
>>
>>44007099
the folder is empty.
>>
>>44006993
>>44007099
>>44016182
All empty or not existing.
>>
Sup /wodg/, any Americans still awake? I'm trying to find a name for my Black American Cover, but I'm unsure which kinda name would be "typical" without being "hood" or such.

Does Zachariah Jones ("Just Zack, 'Mr. Jones' makes me feel old") sound like a good name for a Demon?
>>
>>44016572
Sounds sufficiently normal without being too bland/boring, IMO.
>>
>>44016572
Yeah, that's good.
>>
File: Can't Swim.png (159 KB, 639x451) Image search: [Google]
Can't Swim.png
159 KB, 639x451
>>44016572
You have to put random syllables at the start
>>
>>43991968
>>43992054
Mages are immune to blood bonding or ghouling. No stacking of templates.bruh
>>
>>43992353
She has Gnosis 5, she IS fucking important.
>>
>>44016775
They're i mune to ghouling, but not to blood bonding.

(of course, blood bonding a mage just gives them a very strong sympathetic connection to you, and as soon as another mage slaps a mental shielding spell on them you will *not* be feeling quite so clever, but it does work.)
>>
>>44016775
Blood Bond is not a template.
>>
>>44016789
Could a mage not mentally shield anyone with a blood bond?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.