[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boardgame is called diplomacy. 7 players duke it out on map
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: removekebabsimulator.gif (115 KB, 1152x965) Image search: [Google]
removekebabsimulator.gif
115 KB, 1152x965
Boardgame is called diplomacy. 7 players duke it out on map for European dominance in a pre-WW1 setting, starting in 1901. No 1 player can achieve this dominance on his own however, at the start of the game nobody is powerful enough to take on the other 6 on his own, so alliances need to be made with the other players.

The military aspect of the game is relatively simple, the game revolves, as the name implies, around diplomacy, carefully making and breaking alliances and deals with your 6 opponents.

This is where I believe the aspect of the game a lot will be most interested in comes forth. Nothing you say to other players is binding, you can make a deal with another country in secret, and then when he needs you most you can drop him like a brick, he has served his purpose. Of course a player might instead be playing YOU from the start, appeasing you, helping you, only to take everything of yours the moment you make a single slip up.

So you have a game in which you have to work together with others, yet your goal is still ultimately solo dominance of Europe.

The game's rules are quite straightforward and usually intuitive enough.

Furthermore it is really easy to set up a game online on a bunch of different sites, all you really need is an email account (preferably one that you don't mind getting spammed or being seen by other players, using your private email is not a good idea, but when is it?)

With that all being said, how much interest is there to set up a group or such to play a game? To save myself a bunch of wasted typing in case there is no interest, I will for now just link to some sources about the game. Any questions you lot have I will of course try to answer in this thread.

Rules (concise): http://www.playdiplomacy.com/help.php?sub_page=Game_Rules
Rules (extensive) http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/rulebooks/2000AH4th.pdf
Site most likely to be used if there is enough interest: http://webdiplomacy.net/
>>
File: Diplomacy.jpg (49 KB, 433x403) Image search: [Google]
Diplomacy.jpg
49 KB, 433x403
>>43999757
Depends, are you asking about setting up a group to play regular-ish-ly or are you asking about playing it with /tg/?

/tg/ have played before, though the nature of the thing means games can take a week or more.

As for setting up a group, pic related
>>
>>43999930
Either would work for me personally.

A "one off" game planned in advance in a thread here, or setting up a group (via steam or so?) of people who can play regularly.

Since none of us know each other, there wouldn't really be an issue with telling someone to go shove their bounce request up their ass.

It would merely serve as a way of getting to play the game with somewhat dedicated players (I don't think you go onto /tg/ if you don't take these games at least somewhat serious).

If we find enough people, we could set the game to have 5-15 minute deadlines and plan in so we play in the weekend. A game set up like that shouldn't last much longer than 3 hours, it would also be pausable, so we could play it in 2 sessions. This would be an alternative to the usual 1-7 day deadlines that can put people of from ever even trying the game.

Either way, regular or once, short deadlines or long, just trying to see how much interest there is.
>>
>>44000150
>If we find enough people,
Tends to be tricky, the game thread will often hover around 4 or 5 players asking if anyone else wants to play, but for what it's worth you've got one interested player
>>
>>44000179
Aight, I'll bump this once every so often and see how it goes.
>>
File: img425.jpg (178 KB, 1051x909) Image search: [Google]
img425.jpg
178 KB, 1051x909
Damnit; I'm interested in this; but I don't think i'll have time :(
>>
>>43999757
I play webdiplomacy, too!

Oh shit, I almost forgot to submit orders!
>>
I've been a fan of this game since I played it in high school. It's basically Risk but without the random element of dice rolls. I work too much to play with you guys but good luck OP.
>>
>Friends are too ADD to play a long-form board game
>Computer died so I can't play with /tg/
Kill me
>>
>>43999757
>draw Austria
wat do
>>
>Would love to.
>Can't.
Live is suffering
I haven't even played a single casul magic game with gf in past week or two
>>
>>44000445
Try and conquer Europe, do okay, but then get BTFO by Britain and Russia?
>>
>>44000326
>>44000359
For those who find it hard to find 3 consecutive undisturbed hours (I often find myself belonging to this group), don't lose interest.

We can set it up in such a way that orders would only have to be put in every so often. Meaning you could play while only having to be online once a day, or even only once every two days. It really all depends on what people want, for now the main obstacle is finding interested people.
>>
>>44000469
>Try and conquer Europe, do okay
What are the middle steps.

Also, just tell me your starting moves and general strategy for not getting wiped fast.
>>
>>43999757
I must unite the germanic people under one flag!
>>
>>44000515
See if you can take Germany, probably making a temporary alliance with Russia, who'll be dealing with Turkey - and once you have Poland go West to take out France and the Low Countries - Italy will be your ally to secure their northern boarders and let them get on with taking the med
What I'm saying is, you're Hitler
>>
>>43999757
It's been a long time since I've played, and I'm kind of crap at it, but I'd be interested in playing a game or two with /tg/.
>>
File: 1448775118961.jpg (48 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
1448775118961.jpg
48 KB, 500x352
>>44002920
>>44000459
2? If we make it the deadline 1-2 days
>>44000432
3? Since it works fine on mobile etc?
>>44000359
4 if we make it a 1-2 day deadline?
>>44000342
>>44000326
6, if, again, we make it 1-2 day deadline
>>44000179

D-does this mean we could make this happen?

What if I set up a steamgroup? Would that work for everyone?

Also pic related is how I feel pretty much every time I attempt to stab someone.
>>
>>44005093
>>44002920
My connection's pretty awful, so I haven't got Steam.
>>
>>44005093
>Steamgroup

Fuck.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.