[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /tg/, this is a thread for LoZ RPG. http://1d4chan.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Rpg_logo.png (83 KB, 400x241) Image search: [Google]
Rpg_logo.png
83 KB, 400x241
Alright /tg/, this is a thread for LoZ RPG.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Legend_of_Zelda_RPG

Why? Because I finally got around to tl;dr'ing the rules.

http://pastebin.com/CsXpe3GR

The rules for this system have been done for ages, but everyone treats them like some impossibly complex crunch system you need a graphing calculator to handle. It's not.

If I wasn't in a foreign country stealing wifi, I'd stay here, but I'll have to just keep trying to find wifi to steal
>>
>>43979917
I've read the LoZ RPG stuff on 1d4chan before and I agree that it is dumb and bad.

The one thing I'd take issue with on your pastebin is the notion that non-combat actions don't need mechanics. I don't think that's necessarily a good approach, especially for a Zelda game where puzzle solving and travel in general is a major part of the game itself. In contrast, combat in most Zelda games is fairly simple. Some games are more complex than others (TP with its various maneuvers, SS with its fencing), but generally as much if not more effort is put into traversing the world and solving puzzles as defeating your enemies. Balancing the game too far in the direction of combat is not true to the games.

That said I don't really believe it's even possible to create a tabletop game that fully captures the experience of playing a LoZ game, purely because traditional Zelda puzzles would be extremely tedious to play out with dice and paper-- yet without them you don't have a Zelda game.
>>
>>43981798
The design methodology was to treat combat as puzzles, in a sense. A robust system was made to support every combatant type they could, and the challenge is things like, getting in a fight with eight stalfis and figuring out whos soulbound with who, kiting the tanks and chasing down spear guys and what not.

Because how could you possibly make a rules system for exploring a dungeon to find keys to do sliding block puzzles. What rules would you implement that wouldnt just handcuff the Sage?

That aside, if you treat it as just a combat system, its not hard. It is rules light.
>>
Great and fun system!
>>
I wonder if that guy that was making a 5e setting for Zelda ever finished the MM?
>>
>>43983839
You one of the playtesters?
>>
>>43985208
I've played it, had a blast!
>>
>>43987691
Story time it
>>
>>43987750
So, I made a Hylian warrior dude, buddy played a Gerudo warrior/mage (basically a paladin) and another played a Kokiri thief girl.

After taking down a Gohma wannabe, we headed to the Castle City where Yuga showed up and nearly captured the Princess. Link went off to do some shit but Impa tasked us with seeking out some reliquaries from the various dungeons after seeing us try to rescue the princess. Forest and fire were fun and then some shit went down and the kokiri girl left for a while. Went and stormed the water temple where Vaati showed up and cycloned the place into a crazy hell-hole. Went to get the kokiri girl back since we needed the forest reliquary she had to perform a ritual to bring the princess back (Link had gotten her portrait back). Rescue and then went and took down Vaati in his wind tower. Gerudo heard that shit was going down in the desert and we show up in time to stop Yuga from performing a proper summoning of Ganon (and the Gerudo in the party ended up getting the Triforce of Power).

Head back to Castle City where Link and Zelda asked Gerudo to give up the Triforce to help heal the land when the bitch flips shit, accuses them of being weak protectors and proceeds to wreck their shit. Me and Kokiri side with the princess and Link and gang up on Gerudo who, dun dun DUN! Starts transforming into a sorta kinda female Ganon. Beat her, seal her away, use Triforce to heal the land anyway after an epic fight where she was summoning miniblins, moblins, bokoblins and mini versions of the boss monsters we already fought.

Shit was cash!
>>
>>43988050
post your build
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.