[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to create some bizarre monsters, some of which are sapient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Shore Walk.jpg (147 KB, 1018x785) Image search: [Google]
Shore Walk.jpg
147 KB, 1018x785
I want to create some bizarre monsters, some of which are sapient and have societies of their own. How do you go about creating a weird creature without doing the old Roman "The Feet of X with the Head of Y and the body of Z" ?
>>
>>43979820
Find an obscure animal species and build it up from there. Tapeworm people that live inside colossal animal creatures which they worship, or something like that.
>>
File: Hallucigenia.jpg (189 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Hallucigenia.jpg
189 KB, 2560x1440
Biologists have theorised that the reason we see certain features recurring in nature is because they're perfect for whatever need they fill. In other words, you're going to see certain features recurring no matter how strange the beastie looks - i.e. something recognisable as tentacles or feathers, even if they are on the same... birdsquid.

Still, if you want some inspiration for truly bizarre shit, google up some of the sea life that washes ashore after tsunamis. Or, have a look at pic related. This is an example of life during the Cambrian period of our own world. Yes, that is a headless worm with sea anemone legs and tentacle arms. Research that period for jaw-dropping Lovecraftian wierdness. Increase the size to L or bigger, add some unique abilities and serve.
>>
>>43981000
I guess I see what you're saying. I'm fine with certain recurring features but I'd really like to avoid having dog people and cat people and squid people and so on.
>>
dat furry audience tho
>>
>>43979820
Monster manual has a bunch.
Also, finding a creature that creeps/weirds you out is essential. Why do they creep/weird you out? Apply those elements and principals to something, and you'll get what you are looking for.
>>
>>43981034
people do that to cover their lack of story telling ability, they can't describe what they are imagining or lay out a framework for the reader to fill in so they just say the guy looks like a squid.
>>
>>43982806
>Monster manual has a bunch.

Yes, but I find that they don't mesh well with the rest of the setting. If they were in their own separate game, they would be classics by now.
>>
one thing i used to do was scribble all over a piece of paper, and then try to pick out features in the random scribbles and turn it into something. Of course, this requires a little bit of artistic talent or your just gonna end up with a bunch of retarded scribbles.
>>
>>43985393
>scribble all over a piece of paper, and then try to pick out features in the random scribbles and turn it into something.

That's how my best art is made, sadly.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.