[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why will a villain do so many evil, sometimes stupid things,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1413921400256.jpg (322 KB, 964x1200) Image search: [Google]
1413921400256.jpg
322 KB, 964x1200
Why will a villain do so many evil, sometimes stupid things, when someone will always come to smack them down? Everyone knows evil is wrong anyway.
>>
File: Larloch_-_Carl_Critchlow.jpg (23 KB, 300x414) Image search: [Google]
Larloch_-_Carl_Critchlow.jpg
23 KB, 300x414
Because everyone thinks they're as cool as Larloch.

And nobody smacks down Larloch. At best they survive Larloch.
>>
>>43911190
>Everyone knows evil is wrong anyway.

Its cause you're playing DnD where evil is objectively measured because it's the counter balance to the good half of the universe.

In other words. They do it because someone has do.

Alternatively, because your GM is a hack.
>>
>>43911190
Lets see... I assume you're talking about a typical card-carrying, "I did it because I'm evil, lulz." kind of evil, as opposed to the "Misguided idealist" evil?

Well, couple of reasons;
- Narcisssism. Someone with narcissstic personality disorder literally thinks the world revolves around them and that everyone else needs to bow to their whims. Easy to see how an evil asshole could spring from this.

-Psychopathy. A pathological lack of empathy, deep emotion and impulse control. They'll kill someone to get their watch, get bored of said watch and then move on to the next little "victory", since they never get any true satisfaction. Often have no appreciation of morals.

-Schizophrenia. Their world view is warped. Like, seriously warped. They may think they're a god, that they're fighting off an invisible conspiracy or that they're somehow entitled to their actions. Delusion is a powerful thing.

-Sadistic Hedonism. Okay, hednoism is not an inherently wrong moral philosophy. But this guy takes it waaaaay too far. He enjoys the sufferign of others to such an extend he either thinks his pleasure over-rides their moral qualms, or jsut stopped caring a few years back.

I'll try to think of more, but the simple answer is that some people are juat really, really fucked up.
>>
>>43911419
-Power hungry. Pretty obvious here. Some people will do just about anything to get higher social, political or even financial status. Why? I dunno. Makes them feel good about themselves or something. They have soem underlying issues, probably.

Man, how did I miss that big one?
>>
>>43911212
What's with the multi-colored rock halo above his head?
>>
>>43911493
Ioun stones. Little magical artefacts that grant him powers depending on their colour. Mid-high level wizards tend to have one or maybe two floatign about. He has two dozen.
>>
>>43911212
I just read his biography, and damn, that's a rich unlife, man.
>>
>>43911493
In D&D Ioun stones are extremely rare magical items that either mimic other items or have extremely powerful unique abilities, but cost double what you would expect them to cost because they don't take up an item slot.

They're also a sort of status symbol, since having one means you are one powerful mother-fucker who already has all his other magic item slots filled with incredible magic items.
>>
>>43911465
>>43911419
Pretty gud
>>
>>43911190
It could be what sustains them.
>>
>>43911190
This seems like either a bait question or something someone extremely naive would say.
>>
>>43911190
Because there is a greater threat that can only be stopped by true heroes. You know you'll never be strong enough to beat it, so instead you become a villain for others to overcome. Perhaps, if someone can take you down, they can deal with the true threat that you couldn't.
>>
File: #520 000b.png (288 KB, 1320x1750) Image search: [Google]
#520 000b.png
288 KB, 1320x1750
>>43914808
Or because they believe that what they're doing is perfectly right and justified.
>>
>>43911419
You're also forgetting:
-Amoral. They're otherwise normal and sane, but right or wrong simply doesn't factor in to their plans. Maybe it's this one particular plan. Maybe it's all their plans. Either way, they see what they're doing as something completely normal and reasonable.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.