[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In need of interesting enemies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
Hey TG, i was hoping you guys could help me out. i am in desperate need of enemies to pit my players against.

the enemies they fight that are normal just get destroyed, i need enemies that can only be defeated certain ways or they have special abilities about them.

so far I've tried enemies with only certain weak spots, an enemy who they had to destroy its power source, and I've tried some cloaked enemies but they've just been such un-interesting fights as well.

i was hoping you guys could please lend some of the creatures you have enjoyed facing or some of your favorites you've made? i really want combat to be as interesting as RP instead of just waiting your turn to hit it with a stick.
>>
>>43906608
There's nothing wrong with the enemies your fighting, the problem is you need to put life and meaning into to the combat.

"You hit the wolf for 9 damage" vs. "Your spear carves a bloody gash down the wolfs side as it narrowly avoids being completely impaled."

Your players need to get into this as well, describe how there trying to hit the enemy instead of just saying they attack the monster. Hell, reward creative attacks with a bonus to encourage this if you need too.

Also, do discuss this with your actual players to get there opinion. This can never be stated enough.

TL,DR: Roleplay in combat too.
>>
>>43906608
An enemy invincible during night time that's following the PCs while they try to stall for time until dawn

Two enemies that completely regenerate when killed, unless they are killed on the exact same turn

An enemy that gives better loot if you wait longer before killing it, which requires surviving longer its attacks
>>
File: image.jpg (969 KB, 1334x1740) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
969 KB, 1334x1740
>>43906608
try it with enemies which can resurrect themselves unless killed in a certain way (using exorcism/ healing magic does damage/ burn the corpses)

or ones which try to psychologicly manipulate them (use intelligence/willpower checks) , or curses/deseases to affect the players after the battle

try special resistances/weaknesses against different types of physical/magical attacks (zombies only take 1/4 damage from stabbing but burn easily)

or creatures which flee from combat but weaken the group with a number of ambushes during the journey , flee again ,attack the next day until either party dies.

the possibilities are quite various in terms of making use of special mechanics , aside from that , try to bring some more roleplay into the fights aside from "you hit and do x damage"

instead:"you bypass the enemy's effort to dodge and manage to cut clean through a few rips . deal x damage"
>>
File: Cleric_beast_concept_art.jpg (97 KB, 1380x776) Image search: [Google]
Cleric_beast_concept_art.jpg
97 KB, 1380x776
>>43906608
Use the Greater Repugnance enemies from Death Frost Doom v2. Some of them, particularly the Architect, have some really nice twists to them.

Its somewhere in the OSR trove under LotFP
>>
Put in an amalgamation of something. Like an avatar of greed when your players are going full jew.

Or a defeatable but neigh un-killable being only cause it was bored. Maybe some really really old entities/construct who lost rhyme and reason has been lost through the ages, though the fates of such being will have an effect in your campaign.
>>
>>43906681
Critical Role is really good at this.
>>
>>43906608
I run an Owod game and I was getting irked by the PCs seeing every problem as a nail to be hit by the extra action hammer.

So I homebrewed an Outsider to stalk them. They don't know it's weaknesses, but are too cowardly to try and find out. So they continue to flee from this thing that their usual gangpile tactics don't work on. It's not unbeatable though, it does have stats and it isn't 'rocks fall you die', it's just not subject to the usual means of aggression.
>>
Tengu special forces. Carrying magical communication artifacts and a shitload of alchemical weapons and wands, fighting as unfairly and coordinated as possible.
>>
>>43908175
This.
Actually, any enemy who uses good tactics can become a rude surprise. Watch your players' faces when a skeleton grapples the fighter to let seven others go right past him and gang up on the wizard.
>>
OP back after a nights rest

>>43906681
no worries, I've already got that down, it would be even more lame if i didnt describe combat

>>43908175
That seems like a good idea for a recurring enemy force
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.