[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thief guild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Guild_Master's_Armor_Set.png (167 KB, 246x468) Image search: [Google]
Guild_Master's_Armor_Set.png
167 KB, 246x468
So my character is establishing his own thief guild in a major city, its outside the main walls in the less that prosperous areas, but it means that there is only minor competing guilds around to contend with.

Plan is to build up my forces and muscle in on the other minor guilds turfs and in the end take them over.

Due to the guilds current size aswell as a very strict and harsh law in the city, I have been focusing on providing a illegal gambling den and brothel for merchants and middleclass. Its somewhat safe and pays the bills. The laws are rather draconic so if you get caught pickpocketing you loose an arm, so anything worse or similiar activities is quite risky for a small guild.

Any suggestions for a "safe" way to get some income flowing in? I am considering fencing, loan sharking (might work well with the gambling I provide inhouse) or even a protection racket (could be risky though, having the locals turn against you)

Other than that, any other ideas is apreciated. Secret handshakes, call signs.

The other characters only think I am running a lowly tavern and would not deign themselves to drink at my establishment.

Reminds me that I have not cone up with a name for said establishment.
>>
>>43887887
The Raven's Nest

Ravens have habits of gathering shiny objects, they also memorize where other ravens hide food and steal it when they are unguarded
Sauce
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_raven
>>
>>43888770
So I would steal from the other theives guilds
Stealing is a crime
But stealing stolen loot isn't a crime
Just do it to smaller guilds
>>
Loan Sharking is definitely something every organised crime syndicate should be doing, and is doing IRL.

Also contraband trading. Be it drugs, weapons, illegal books, embargoed trading goods, magical items. It doesn't need to be outright illegal. If there's a significant tax on it, you can undercut the legal competition.

Secret Handshake: If you make eye contact with someone and suspect they are on the insight, you tap your left leg with the pinky and ring finger 3 times.
That way you can establish contact across a public room or market place, and onlookers or tails will have a hard time figuring out that anything happened, and even if they do, they won't know who the sign was meant for.
If there's danger, you tap your right leg instead.
>>
>>43888770
Ravens are also assholes
People like to make you think they're not but they are huge assholes
Not worse than ducks though
>>
>>43889205
Ravens are probably the smartest birds though.
>>
>>43889197
Also, you can make that sign just to a full inn, and then walk out and any potential contacts will catch up and ask you what you need.
You can use that as a way outsiders that don't know any safe houses can make contact with a guild representative. Maybe even have people specifically hang out in taverns all day just waiting for such people.
Maybe use a different sign though. Maybe if someone asks "I'm looking for Ben Hunter", where Ben Hunter doesn't exist. He's the code word for all contacts. They can notice the guy and later walk up and quietly introduce themselves as Ben Hunter.
Or pick a different name.
>>
>>43888770
bird theme might work, lowlliest thugs and thieves are called magpies, those further up ravens or owls. all the birds bringing spoils back to the nest

>>43889197
loan sharking is a go and smugling does sound like a good idea, need to do research on what items are in demand. secret finger signals can be quite handy in a pinch

>>43889205
ducks are the worst

>>43889297
there's a skill called thieves cant, which is basically a type of code language used by most thieves. seemingly normal conversation between to persons about the weather, livestock or food night be two thieves discussing a good mark or casing a joint
>>
>>43890033
Doesn't hurt to have a contact method for people who don't speak the cant though.
>>
>>43887887
Act charitable, or at least kindly, to the poor and unfortunate. Not only do they often have little to squeeze besides labor or gossip, but if you're seen as a pillar of the community they are much less likely to rat on you. Loan sharking will still provide ample cash, but is better served at middle, middle-high class.
Keep an eye on competing shipments, and if you're confident in your sneak thief, steal it before it hits the warehouse.
Have a ground level contact somewhere. Someone who people in desperate need can turn to. Don't involve him directly with illegal activities, just let him "recommend" "friends".
>>
>>43890061
good point, I must admit I lost that part when reading earlier, I blame lack of sleep, sorry.

>>43890472
was considering opening a soup kitchen for the less unfortunate, works as a good recruitment pool, gossip or intel (for who is gonna suspect a dirty old beggar) and people will be much less inclined to rat you out or give any info about your guilds dealings
>>
>>43890623
>was considering opening a soup kitchen
Can also be used to fence all those stolen fruits and vegetables.
>>
>>43890746
heh, you mean all those vegetables and fruit that for some reason is marked as stolen and no decent store owner wants to buy?
>>
>>43889245
No wonder they can be such cunts
>>
>>43890819
Yeah, if a random guy nobody ever saw before is willing to sell vegetables a few days after a shipment of vegetables went missing, people are going to be a bit suspicious.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.