[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D 3.5 Spell Ruling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: say.jpg (12 KB, 306x423) Image search: [Google]
say.jpg
12 KB, 306x423
So I found a way of a 1st level caster being able to prepare 9th level spells. (Heighten Spell + Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell) with Energy Transformation Field tied to a Rary's Arcane Conversion).
My question though, would this 1st level caster still need a caster level of 17 to cast his 9th level spell (As Wizard)?
If so, what cheap, artificial ways are there to increase caster level?
Level 4 minimum though, its ECL starting wealth is 5,400, exactly enough to get 9th level spells. (1 scroll of Energy Transformation Field and 1 scroll of Rary's Arcane Conversion).
>pic related
>>
Or does no one actually play 3.5?
>>
>>43849558
if I remember right you need to possess the actual character level of 17 to cast 9th level spells as a wizard
not caster level but actual level 17
this is to prevent what you have just described
>>
>>43849813
Been looking everywhere for anything tying class or character level to spell level, you know a page number in a specific book I can look at?

Some prestige classes give none, partial, or full caster level progression too, so minimum /character/ level isn't needed to cast higher level spells.

If I'm reading things right, caster level and spell slot progression move up in class levels at a /nearly/ even pace, but aren't the same thing....

Looking at Green Star Adept and Abjurant Champion... I think they might not even have to have the requisite caster level... As long as they're still using the 1st level /slot/.
>>
Okay, so after a while of digging into books and forums... Caster level and spell slots are different! *Applause*

Seriously, compare Green Star Adept with most any other casting progression prestige. GSA's "Spells Per Day/Spells Known" Increases at a different rate than its actual caster level (Improved Caster Level). This differs from other prestiges' blanket "Spellcasting" feature.

The Wizard 5, GSA 4 given in the example has a CL of 9, but can only access 4th level spell slots. He has no 5th level spell slots, but as a wizard his Spells Known section could hypothetically have a 5th level spell by scribing it into his spell book.

He has everything he needs, except one 5th level spell slot... Right?
>>
>>43850325

Caster level and spell slots are different, yes. Increasing caster level via IE practiced caster does not actually give you more or higher spell slots.

A wiz 5 GSA 4 has a CL of 9 and 4th level slots, yes. He could scribe a 5th level spell but would not be able to memorise it as a spell prepared as he lacks the slot.
You can scribe a spell
>>
>>43850375

*You can scribe any spell on your list as long as you can pass the spellcraft check, is what I was trying to say with that last sentence. That doesn't help you actually cast it, though.
>>
File: book.jpg (35 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
35 KB, 704x396
God, and what about Earth Spell from Races of Stone?
As long as the caster's standing on solid ground, heightened spells are boosted an additional 1 spell level (when cast) and the caster level is boosted by 1 too, half of the levels would hypothetically be unable to be cast spells like this!

Don't even get me started on Versatile Spellcaster too! Spontaneous casters could combine 2 slots of the same level to cast a spell 1 level higher that they know, but when a Warmage (Spontaneous caster) gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all spells of the given level. Combine 2 1st level spells to a heightened 1st level spell, reaching 2nd level slots, and thus knowing 2nd level spells. Then combine away!

Seems sometimes there's an exception... And everything I know about spells points to my wizard needing 19 intelligence, and a high enough "caster level" to throw a Reality Maelstrom at his foes.

>When your Spells Known list is in an in-game book.
>>
>>43850382
But what about Rary's Arcane Conversion on a spell heightened from 3rd to 5th via Easy Metamagic? With sufficient caster level in a prepared slot, wouldn't our questionably gish GSA be able to cast a Wall of Force with his modified spell slot?
>>
>>43850436

No. Let's say you are a 5th level wizard with heighten spell. You have a 3rd level spell which you then heighten to 5th. Easy metamagic then reduces this back to 3rd.

Because heighten spell is based upon the actual spell level slot it is taking up, you can now use RAC to cast.... another 3rd level spell.

In essence, easy metamagic and other metamagic reduces do absolutely shit all when combined with heighten metamagic.
>>
Earth spell from races of stone also doesn't work, because it only modifies when cast. RAC modifies the spell when it is in your prepared spells before earth spell has a chance to apply its effect.
>>
>>43850473
"When preparing or casting a spell modified by that feat, lower the spell-slot cost by one."
Does not lower actual spell level, just cost.

As well, the 5th level wizard would be heightening a 2nd level spell to 3rd with normal Heighten Spell, and up to 4th with EasyMM for free. Lowered "cost" and not lowered "level".
>>
>>43850518
Thanks, it's worth mentioning here though because half of the time, the resultant spell's uncastable, because the caster's... caster level... is only +1'd, not +2'd.

I guess though, that since the spell was already successfully cast, caster level doesn't matter as far as being able to cast spells of the needed level.

Thank you.
>>
Why is the spell level important here, exactly? I don't know the spell in question.
>>
>>43850713
Rary's Arcane Conversion allows the caster to switch one prepared spell for another of equal spell level.

Energy Transformation Field absorbs spell levels to recast Rary's Arcane Conversion on the same dude, who prepares 1 slot to be higher spell level with each casting.

This allows someone to get 9th level spells (The max Heighten can go) so really, any spell from 0 to 9th can be cast at level 1. All we need is improved caster level and a high enough ability score.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.