[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Campaign Length
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1426118468678.jpg (38 KB, 222x266) Image search: [Google]
1426118468678.jpg
38 KB, 222x266
Sup /tg/, lets talk campaign length

I have always been part of or run pretty long running campaigns (1+ year long with a session a week) but recently I started running three session long mini campaigns. (In the WH40K RPGs) and have found these to work really well.

So I was wondering what other fa/tg/uys feeling are on campaign length. Do you think longer campaigns are better? Do you go in to them with a set number of sessions in mind?

Personally I like the tighter feel of these shorter games. It allows for more drama to happen in a shorter period of time with less of the players faffing about between action.
>>
>>43841474
When I run I do it for several months (think like 20 sessions-ish), running every week. Completed several campaigns like this. That said, I don't go in with a very specific number of sessions. I'd rather let things progress naturally and end the game when it makes the most sense.

Generally whenever I see a '1 year+' game, it's dragged out somehow (regular cancelled sessions, bad pacing or usually both) and eventually dies due to the GM flaking more and more. I've seen, idk maybe one or two games that long that completed but even they felt like they could have been productively cut down to a lot less time than they were. I'm sure long games can be done, but the longer it goes the more chance something crops up to screw with it. Personally I'd be aiming to complete games in months, not years.

Not sure about three session long games. Feels like I wouldn't be able to properly invest in my characters. Might work well for some things though.
>>
>>43841613
well the three session thing is being framed around one major even. So each set of chars get to take part in another part of the event.

The problem I had when I was running games that ran longer was I usually had a end game I was trying to steer things towards and it ended up fucking things up. I am not much of a fan of the completely direction-less play style of game.

The 1+ year games where back when I actually went a physically met up with the people to play so it was also just a social thing. Didn't really matter so much if we didn't do a lot
>>
>>43841679
event
>>
File: 1388595634205.jpg (44 KB, 414x244) Image search: [Google]
1388595634205.jpg
44 KB, 414x244
I'm at the point in my life where I don't really have the luxury to be in or run longer campaigns with my friend group anymore. The closest I can get is running shorter sessions that tie into a larger arc. Dark Heresy plays well to those king of strength from my recent experience.

I do like the idea of some really long campaigns I've heard about that go on for years and sometimes cross game editions. I can't imagine how you'd run something like that, but the grandeur behind it sounds amazing.
>>
File: 1366965817072.png (306 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1366965817072.png
306 KB, 640x480
>>43842137
>years long campaign

Jesus Christ that sounds like a nightmare
>>
Shorter campaigns are a good way to keep everything fresh, you can change setting, chars and the general tone, even try other systems if you feel like it. Some of my players have other campaigns that have been going on for many years, but seeing how much they got personally invested in them I'd say it's better to just avoid them, or at least stop sooner.
>>
>>43842367
when they have a long campaign is it just the same chars going from adventure to adventure or is it actually some long story line?
>>
>>43842413
They've been using the same chars over and over, to the point where they basically just go around due to plot armor and if something happens to them they get resetted like they had fate points to burn, because they've invested so much time in them that they can't afford to lose them before finishing.

It doesn't help that the GM was getting out of touch with how being a player is and the system they use is D&D 3.5. That's why I started GMing OW instead.
>>
>>43842510
How often do they actually play?

What the hell kind of end point could they be working towards, killing god?
>>
>>43842578
No idea, I did my part for a while, then the choice was either take your char in the epic levels or get a new one, I made my rogue choose to stay in the mortal realm and called it quits. They play less often now as real life is a bitch so I don't think they'll end any time soon.
>>
My campaigns run for about 10-15 sessions, with a couple mini sessions along the way if players need to handle their own things on the side. Being weekly games, these normally finish in a just a couple months and even have satisfying endings. So far this has been working wonderfully and I can't imagine doing those year long campaigns people always talk about.

Then again, I tend to run more niche systems anyway instead of big games like D&D. I think it's easier to finish a campaign when you're not running one of the huge and popular systems out there. There's also the fact that I almost exclusively run weeb games and structure them like a 13 episode anime which helps me pace them better than aimless sandbox games.

OP, you should try running a game with the length I usually use. You might find more enjoyment in it than tiny 3 session games since you have enough time for multiple arcs and events while also being short enough to reach a satisfying conclusion.
>>
>>43843227
>Then again, I tend to run more niche systems anyway instead of big games like D&D. I think it's easier to finish a campaign when you're not running one of the huge and popular systems out there. There's also the fact that I almost exclusively run weeb games and structure them like a 13 episode anime which helps me pace them better than aimless sandbox games.
I like your style.
>>
File: 1409006059031.jpg (344 KB, 623x730) Image search: [Google]
1409006059031.jpg
344 KB, 623x730
>>43843227
I actually kind of enjoy being able to keep things tight. I think I might end up going with a almost COD style. Jumping around a set of chars with each of them playing there own part in some wider conflict or event.

I am also considering running a Black Crusade game where everyone has a "face" char and a Chaos Space Marine one. Since other wise you are kinda limited in what you can do.

Can't really see a noise marine standing in a room full of imperial nobles and trying to convince them to turn against the Imperium
>>
>>43843659
>COD style. Jumping around a set of chars with each of them playing there own part in some wider conflict or event.
Could be cool, but it wouldn't be my thing. I like to get invested in a single character for a while, so constantly hopping around between different ones wouldn't appeal to me. That also sounds like a lot of work with making different builds for each character which isn't my thing. If it works for your group then go for it, sounds like a pretty unique experience that I doubt many GMs can pull off.

The Black Crusade idea sounds pretty cool.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.