[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most /tg/ books out there? Like rec-reading for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: reading.jpg (388 KB, 618x750) Image search: [Google]
reading.jpg
388 KB, 618x750
What are the most /tg/ books out there?
Like rec-reading for the whole /tg/ ethos. I don't mean like "The Hobbit" I mean "/tg/ will stick his dick in anything" type of adventures.
>>
I refuse to accept your interpretation of /tg/.
Don't judge us by the worst of us.
>>
For grimdark, Junger's "Storm of Steel" or Sajer's "Forgotten Soldier" are right up there
>>
>>48330397
>Thirteen dudes want to slay a dragon
>random pudgy homebody gets drafted into helping
>pretty awesome guy helps sometimes, but fucks off with no warning over and over
>pudgy guy does almost all the work of getting them to the dragon
>some dude not even in the party kills the dragon (with an assist by the pudgy dude)
>ends in a giant fucking argument that didn't need to happen, which is only stopped by even bigger assholes showing up out of nowhere
>we kinda pretend like the thirteen dudes got shit done
I dunno, The Hobbit sounds pretty /tg/ to me.
>>
Imagica by Clive Barker.
I was way too young when I first tried to read it though. I wasn't ready for fucked up sex magic.
>>
>>48332328
>>
>>48330397
Come on, /tg/ doesn't have to be 'stick your dick in everything.'

That said, A Spell for Chameleon sounds like what you want. Interesting worldbuilding that includes centaur tits and magic.
>>
>>48330397
Book of the New Sun fits both
>>
>>48332367
I never finished the novel and it was a long time ago when I read it. I checked out the Wikipedia article on it, but it doesn't mention anything other than a shapeshifter taking the form of his target and then having sex with her boyfriend.
If I recall correctly, one of the sex acts includes eating the other person whole. I believe it was an illusion or something.
I should say that I read a lot of Stephen King as a kid, so I was pretty desensitized by the time I read Imagica, but it was too much for me.
Probably explains why I don't really have any fetishes except for some pretty vanilla ones.
The only reason I wanted to read the book in the first place is because I had a copy of Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy which includes a monster from Imagica called a gek-a-gek.
>>
File: Wayne_Barlowe_Gek-A-Gek.jpg (282 KB, 432x620) Image search: [Google]
Wayne_Barlowe_Gek-A-Gek.jpg
282 KB, 432x620
>>48332585
>>48332367
Forgot my pic.
>>
File: subtle telekinesis.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
subtle telekinesis.gif
4 MB, 480x270
bump
>>
>>48334105

Man, Stephen King told me magic negroes were real, and here I didn't believe him.
>>
>>48334181
They also seemed to be really invested in helping white kids
>The Talisman
>The Shining
>>
Ian M Banks, Player of Games

Azad is definitely /tg/-world
>>
File: 1458583509227.jpg (914 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1458583509227.jpg
914 KB, 1600x900
>>48332404
>centaur tits and magic
Sold. My copy is on the way. Thanks anon.
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49 KB, 430x591) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49 KB, 430x591
>>48330397
>I mean "/tg/ will stick his dick in anything" type of adventures.

Fritz Lieber's Swords novels, the adventures of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.
Also literally intruduced many of the tropes of D&D like the Thieves' Guild.
>>
>>48334292
Off the top of my head, the Mouser tries for an entire novel to fuck a half-white rat/lycanthrope girl with extra nipples, and Fafhrd has a girlfriend for a while who's a cannibal who's entire body is transparent except for her skeleton.
>>
>>48332404
>>48334240

I'll second Spell for Chameleon. It won a World Fantasy Award, and deservedly so IMO. The first couple of Xanth books were great, I think that it's only after the success of Ogre, Ogre that he realized he could just crank them out assembly-line style, all according to formula, in order to make all the bucks ever.

>>48334324

Yeah, Leiber's stuff is fantastic, and sometimes pervy in a wonderful way. His book Wanderer has one of the characters get it on with a cat woman from outer space. even though he's obviously a lower life form, so it's kind of bestiality for her
>>
>>48332524
>literally falls in love with every woman he meets to some extent
Severian was an interesting character to say the least.

Dorcas best girl hands down.
>>
>>48334220
Consider Phlebas is /tg/

>Be given a task by an asshole alien priest who doesn't do shit to help you
>Keep running into a hot bisexual secret agent rival DMPC
>Meet up with space pirates
>Have some adventures
>Sleep with a catgirl
>Take over the ship
>Finally reach the goal of the campaign
>TPK
>>
>>48334292
The thieve's guild was introduced by Miguel de Cervantes, actually. In "Rinconete y Cortadillo".

Leiber codified the trope, though.
>>
"The Stainless Steel Rat" series by Harry Harrison springs to mind. Space opera setting where a thief has to be smart, charismatic, and more than a bit lucky to get by.
>>
>>48332524
as entertaining as watching paint dry too
>>
>>48335783
Oh, right, she does actually purr.

Didn't remember that.
>>
>>48330397

Titan by John Varley and Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack Chalker.
>>
>>48337947
Hell yes
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.