[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I talked a DM into letting me replace my character's heart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 28
I talked a DM into letting me replace my character's heart with a Dragon's heart. We've decided that dragon's breath weapons don't come from the heart but from another organ in the body. With that in mind, what effects would you see the character feeling. It was an adult Blue at the time of removal.
>>
File: 1459784838907.jpg (52 KB, 517x524) Image search: [Google]
1459784838907.jpg
52 KB, 517x524
>>48215329
>With that in mind, what effects would you see the character feeling.

The major effect would be death, followed by death, and a sidedish of death. Let's assume for some reason that ripping out your own heart and replacing it with the dragon's heart is not a problem. Let's assume your body doesn't reject it. How does it function?

Your veins and arteries are not the size of a dragon's. Or are you also transmogrifying your circulatory system? If so, why not just transform into a dragon entirely?
>>
>>48215357
had it shrunk down to the appropriate size and transplanted both using science and magic
>>
>>48215329
Manifestations/surges of magical power, a la Sorcerers. If you aren't a Sorcerer then it should be uncontrolled, maybe inconvenient or even dangerous to you.

It could add some Lightning resistance.

>>48215357
>shit that doesn't matter
>>
>>48215329
I would expect a highly increased body temperature, possibly even boiling blood
>>
DM here. I made him suffer a little bit.
Magically shrunk down, permanency spell on the shrink.
The mad scientist who did the transplants foudn an extra artery branch that he found through his study supplied the dragon with more oxygen to its lungs, so he made a replacement and placed it appropriately.
Therefore, Dovlin got light headed like crazy if he pushed it even a little. he had to go weeks getting used to breathing more shallowly.
He's already experienced some damage reduction from shock.
I'm enjoying seeing what you all come up with, though!
>>
>>48215613
Not recalling atm the rules for dispel/antimagic/disjunction, but those might be problematic on a shrunken organ vital to living.
>>
>>48215357

sleep snug smug
>>
>>48215329
Speaking to birds, skin like armor, enhanced strength and endurance.

Or check out Rifts and the Dragon Juicer, sort of like a magic version of Bane powered by dragon blood.
>>
>>48215329
Assuming you replaced the dragons heart with your heart too, you share a link. If one of you dies, both of you die...
>>
>>48215723
it was cast by an intermediate god... not worrying about it growing back at this point.
>>
>>48215745
it was very dead when we took it from it's chest so... it's not something I'm worrying about either.
>>
>>48215329
The PC starts speaking with Sean Connery's voice.
>>
>>48215329
Smart dragons might find you mildly interesting. Play your cards right and you might be able to bring some half-dragon mary sue's into the world
>>
>>48215329
Dragon sickness
>>
>>48215723
Permanency spell can only be undone by the one who cast it.
That's not gonna be undone any time soon.
>>
>>48215329
>heart burn
>>
>>48215329
The Dragon's life is now linked to your own, and yours to his.
>>
>>48216140
>17 replies
>still didn't know the dragon was dead
read, nigga, read!
>>
Have dragon like behaviour and personality traits and knowledge seep in randomly. At some point he starts speaking draconic.
>>
File: 1393356322038.jpg (278 KB, 968x354) Image search: [Google]
1393356322038.jpg
278 KB, 968x354
>>48216098
/thread
>>
WHY exactly did he have this done, without any real benefits being known in advance? Was he just a dragaboo?
>>
>>48216264
he felt that it had to make him stronger some how. he has been around some 40k like goblins a bit to much
>>
>>48215329
A lust for princesses.

Must weekly make a will check or kidnap local princess/virgin.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

This check can be modified by sleeping on a pile of gold coins, but the character suffers from exhaustion.
>>
>>48215329
Get a sorcerer cantrip. Get further levels of sorcerer to taste.
>>
Anyone have that shitty fetish art that shows why dragons kidnap maidens? The one where the girl becomes a newborn dragon's heart.
>>
>>48215329

Super high blood pressure, probably.
>>
>>48216405
he's a fighter with a fair amount of magical items at the moment but I'm thinking of taking some levels of spellsword. a bit of background. he's a CNe Drow. he got to the surface and seeing a chance to GTFO from the choke hold of the city he ran for it. been on the surface for a few years and as of late the last few years after have just snowballed into craziness. he's become a bit of a plot device for the DM. I kinda push it from time to time but get paid back from time to time. Almost lost his left arm a few times... he seems to like targeting it at the moment.
>>
>>48215329
You can now be ubercharged.
>>
>>48215329
You would die. Assuming for some reason you would be alive the organ would be likely to not do anything at all, let alone well. Some stupid bullshit magical effects that might befall upon you in the long term are characters with bonuses against dragons have bonuses against you, you routinely smell like a giant fucking lizard, and you have weakness to cold and fire attacks because your heart is from an organism that is not warm blooded.

>>48216085
That's not how that works.

>>48216640
>CN Drow with a dragon heart because it sounds cool
Better bring band-aids.
>>
>>48215329
You start wanting to live in desert climates and hoarding treasure for yourself.
>>
File: 286272.jpg (34 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
286272.jpg
34 KB, 620x349
>>
>>48217249
1. the "science" help we got was from a frankensteinian doctor who has had experience with restarting dead hearts, the magical being as mentioned before an intermediate god.
2. as for the permanency spell, it was cast by said god consider it part of said "Plot device" aspect.
3. I've learned to roll with the punches, pun related.
>>
>>48217589
>campaign where each player has been given the heart of an evil monster and if they don't keep it charged with evil until they find a way to take it out they will become those monsters

I'd play it
>>
>>48217714
>>
>>48215329
Your character declares that he is a wandering swordsman, no matter what his area of specialty is.
>>
>>48215409
What do you think would be the results if, for instance, you transplanted an elephant heart for yours? Using the same mix of science and magic?

Because I'm pretty sure that would still be 'death, death, and a distinct chance of death around teatime'.
>>
>>48218068
elephants are not magical beasts
>>
>>48218094
I mean, they aren't amphibians either.
>>
>>48218094
Why not something actually cool like the heart of a ghost.
>>
>>48218127
They're dead, immaterial, dead, don't have organs and are dead.
>>
>>48217714
I'd play it too.
>>
>>48217714

I'd run it.
>>
You can now speak draconic and use Create Water
>>
>>48215329
You can take levels in Sorcerer now, if you couldn't already.
>>
>>48218194
Alternatively permanent water breathing
>>
>>48218257
haven't had a chance to legit test that at the moment. that would be more of a "Dragon lungs" thing really.
>>
File: ZatLooksGood.gif (438 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
ZatLooksGood.gif
438 KB, 500x281
>This thread
>>
>>48218068
Don't you think it would be more interesting in a fantasy setting if he got some sort of connection to dragons or became more draconic since it could open up opportunities for character development, plot hooks, and powers as opposed to a scraped character?
>>
>>48215329
>We've decided that dragon's breath weapons don't come from the heart but from another organ in the body.
Then why didn't you install that bit instead?
>>
>>48218677
damaged beyond use
>>
>>48215329
Dragonic vitality is the only thing that would make sense regardless of DotS.

Tell us more about the dragons of your setting for better answers.
>>
>>48215329
>>48217714
I was thinking more along these lines myself, but that works too.
>>
>>48215329
Your alignment should gradually shift to match the Dragon's.
>>
>All these faggots complaining about realism
I love this concept, nice job OP's DM. There are a plethora of myths pertaining to what a dragon's blood and body might be used for. Off the top of my head an icelandic legend had it's hero bathe in dragon's blood and become resilient to all types of damage, while I've heard it's also a potent healing component in alchemy. In Dragonheart, the villain has half of his heart changed for half of a dragon's, and becomes immortal with the stipulation that his lifeforce is bound to the dragon. If it dies, so does he.

Wish I had some original ideas, but can't think of any right now.
>>
>>48218837
mainly various edition versions of D&D dragons. we're doing a quasi homebrew with stuff from here and there. the effects we have at the moment is that it'll increase lifespan dramatically and some electrical damage resistance has been shown but not fleshed out. The dragon in question was a cult member of the "Cult of the dragon" so it was already evil. the intermediate god that helped in the surgery was a good aligned dragon god who felt the surgery was a fair payment in helping thin the numbers in the amount we did.
>>
>>48215949
This guy gets it.
>>
>>48215329
Could yank Dragon Heart plot line for it, You're linked to that dragon and the dragon linked with you. So long as each of you shall live so shall the other, with time, patience and understanding the two could become one in body and mind as they deepen their bond.

Or if it's based upon hate, mistrust and cruelty then the two are further separated from one another and being in the presence of each other causes them acute pain from being to close.
>>
>>48219160
mentioned earlier in thread... the dragon is beyond dead as his hide has been sold, his bones made to armor and weapons and his organs that weren't eaten were sold as well.
>>
>there are people in this thread who haven't seen Dragonheart
>>
File: flyingfishwings.jpg (16 KB, 537x357) Image search: [Google]
flyingfishwings.jpg
16 KB, 537x357
thats some pretty serious shit OP, and the effects should reflect that. are you looking for fluff effects or mechanical effects?

fluff:
arcs of electricity shoot out an in the chararcters body when stress/excited. the character becomes more savage, more evil, and more aggressive. becomes more obsessed with power and wealth.

mechanical:
resistance to electricity
>>
>>48219191
>dead

So what? Dracolich ba~~by
>>
>>48219236
no, as in it was alive and then we killed it. the dragonheart plot would work if said dragon was still alive. kind of doesn't work if the dragon in question is now bits and pieces.

it did have some dracolich friends though. now they were a bitch to kill... Re-Kill... whatever.
>>
>>48219216
little from column A little column B... I notest some people suggesting it affect sleep and the like but as a drow they only need 4 hours of Meditation instead of sleep. he's had the heart for about a year now and he hasn't seen any cosmetic effects at this point in time but he also hasn't been in too stressful states. I like the idea and it's something I'll ask about in the morning when the DM wakes up. the bonus of living in a house where everyone RPs and someone who loves to DM.
>>
>>48219210
No we've all seen it, and been over it. Context is different here, the same trick doesn't work.
>>
It's amazing how, even seeing the dm investment, people are just saying you're fucking dead faggot.

You're the cancer.
>>
>>48219418
It's what powergaming faggots like this one deserve.
>>
>>48219432
>doing a crazy stunt without any obvious rewards
>powergaming
>>
>>48219451
He obviously went into it thinking it would grant him TEH EPIKKK POWERUPS as he's shown through his posts.
He's one of those faggots who thinks it's acceptable to break the power curve of a game and jerk off in the rest of the party's faces because "MUH CrEaTiViTy", and will get mad when people tell him to pipe down and stop expecting the ability to go godmode from any major kill or reward.
Probably the only reason the GM hasn't just outright killed him for being an idiot is that he's forced to live with this autist.
>>
>>48219432
I can see me being a "powergaming faggot" if I wanted adult or stronger breath weapons and wings and other bs without the negative effects but he passed out from too much oxygen and almost died a few times after the surgery. the luck of the dice was the only thing that stopped him from biting the magical bullet/ magic missile. the only perk I cared about was a natural extension of his life span for roleplay reasons. we've been more focused on the character's stories and less on stats or "TEH EPIKKK POWERUPS"
>>
>>48218068
>muh ryalizm
>>
>>48215329
Pros
Bonus to CON
Resistance against diseases because neither human nor dragon diseases know what the fuck they're dealing with.
If received in small amounts, can use small amounts of [Element] (blue, so electricity?) to regain health or rest faster. Can turn a short rest into a long rest, or have an extra life surge/whatever other healing there is.
Vampires don't want to fuck with your blood, shit's nasty.
Can gain audiences with draconic divinities.....except you still need to learn Draconic. Also they might be pissed about that dragon you killed.
[Element] Rage - temporarily gain resistance
to [Element] and reroute/draw all [Element] attacks within a radius based on total level to you. This includes friendly attacks, so take care.

Cons
Require regular(let's say, every other year) transfusions of dragon marrow, to keep sorta-dragon blood pumping.
Minor weakness to hot/cold.
Long term issues with the heart growing at a different rate from the rest of the body. May require constant tweaking on that shrinkage spell.
Minor case of insanity. A princess a day, keeps the-hangon.
>>
File: image.gif (961 KB, 245x213) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
961 KB, 245x213
>>48219531
>>48219432
>>48219418
Do you all have brain problems, are you suffocating from how far you heads are up your own asses?
>>
I came into this thread wondering what people would suggest, all I get is retarded smug posts.

Is this Brit hour
>>
>>48219860
Australia/Britain yeah
>>
>>48219876
Shit. Whatever. There's one or two neat ideas in here.
>>
>>48219579
>the only perk I cared about was a natural extension of his life span for roleplay reasons.
That was something I considered being a fair benefit. And now I'm imagining teams of aarakocra dragon hunters seeking to extend their peoples lifespans at the dragons expense.
>>
>>48219893
Yup, people have to remember that it's around this time you avoid most of 4chan because of this kind of shit.
>>
>>48215329
By Mordan's hairy balls, why the fak would ye do that to yerself?

Bloody knife ears an thar experiments, gonna get yerself killed

Ye shoulda spliced a good dwarven beard onto yerself afore ye put the heart o' a overgrown newt inta yer chest
>>
>>48219963
That was cringe inducing
>>
>>48219973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJsG4F2Img
>>
>>48220009
I love that
>>
>>48220009
>it's not cringeworthy, I was just imitating a thing that's much funnier and more original than I am
you're not making it better
>>
>>48220009
why would he have piss stained pubic hair if he shaves it
>>
>>48219860
I'm a Brit and its 6/7 over here, not sure to many Brits are about t b h.
>>
>>48215329
inb4 pursued by undead dragon after its heart
>>
>>48220352
So like dragon's dogma but backwards
>>
>>48220352
it would have to be the dragon's ghost... which would be an interesting twist. it wouldn't be the most powerful thing I've turned into bone dressing but interesting none the less. had a nasty run in with Baba Yaga. all I can say is eww.
>>
Because everyone else hates the idea and I'm a contrarian faggot, have a serious post

A dragon's heart is an extremely powerful magical focus. How do you think it makes the energy to fly and make fire? While those functions can be achieved without magical assistance, they are nigh impossible in the fashion a dragon does. The excess magical power that normally flows out of a focus, which is a great deal in the case of a dragon's heart, is routed through the blood to empower it's physical strength, allowing it to fly and create flame in the flame producing organ. Some dragons even learn to harness this in their natural magics.

Moving back to you, you've now got a magical focus of untold power inside you. All that power is building up - it has to go somewhere. Every few days, or possibly every day, depending on the age and strength of the dragon it came from, that built up power will release explosively in a burst of pure magical power striking out from your chest. Of course, if you somehow learn how to control it, perhaps that power could be used in a more controlled fashion - as the dragon does, to enhance your natural physical strength and sustain your internal organs beyond what is possible.
>>
>>48218516
I tend to put reality before scalies logic
>>
>>48215329
>what effects would you see the character feeling
Cardiac arrest.
>>
Read a bit about it before saying fuck it here's some ideas. Doubt any of them are good

>Fear Aura
>Immune to poisons
>Age is now a positive thing
>You bleed a lot due to the dragon heart pushing blood at a more rapid rate so bleed effects would hurt a lot
>Resistance to Death Attacks
>Other Dragons might sense something funny
>True Resurrection would bring back your old heart you won't come back with dragon heart
>Time freeze magic would be null on your or at least your resistance
>You would likely grow larger and need more food as all your bodies faculties are sped up a bit
>>
>>48220472
yes, as mentioned the character almost died a few times... he was watched over by a few clerics for a few months as he got used to the new heart.
>>
>>48220495
I can see a lot of this. being drow he had poison resistance in the first place, I figured a dragon liver might help with that but I can see the heart pumping his own blood faster so his liver is working even harder to keep it all clean. why the time magic resistance? I can see the blood loss being something that could bite me in the ass if the DM feels like enforcing it.
>>
>>48220549
So let's say wizard uses time stop it stops everything. Now it's a stretch but what if your heart continued and started forcing blood it would be painful but likely reboot your body.
>>
>>48220636
I can see the reasoning. I can also see the DM thinking it was too much of a stretch but I like where you're going.
>>
>>48220653
Thanks was trying to be creative with it mind answering some question it might spark more ideas.

>What kind of dragon was it color/age?
>Was there a chance your blood mixed?
>What system is it
>>
>>48220495
>>You bleed a lot due to the dragon heart pushing blood at a more rapid rate so bleed effects would hurt a lot
This one. I like this one.
I originally thought of a way this could be used with damage reduction + extra blood loss damage (ongoing), but it sounded like a pain in the ass for bookkeeping purposes.

On the other hand, if you're playing 5e (it sounds like it), something like this would be much simpler:
>Character gets wounded with a weapon that breaks the skin somehow
>wound starts GUSHING blood all over
>adjacent allies and enemies may be blinded by the spray, determined randomly
This one's dead easy to implement in 5e, because Blindness is a pretty simple and intuitive condition. It could have serious consequences if an adjacent friendly Fighter were blinded, but serious benefits if an adjacent enemy were blinded, especially if you have a Rogue on your team perhaps. In fact, if your PC is a Rogue (I don't think you've mentioned his class ITT), I would probably give your character a chance to also be blinded by the spray. It might be too good otherwise.
>>
>>48220715
Oh, oh! And I even came up with a name for it.
"Blinding Blood Spray."
Alright I'm going to bed before I say any more stupid things, have a good one dragonheart-anon
>>
>>48220701
adult blue, I guess there was some blood still in the chambers but we didn't make any specific note about it and the system is a D&D based homebrew. we have access to 1st to 5th ED and we pick stuff and make it work as we go. been playing this character for about 2 years IRL, about 5 years has gone by since he first met the people that would be the first party.
>>
>>48215329
time for uncontrolled body horror! uwehuahuehue
>>
>>48215329
You can hear the dragon talking to you when you're asleep and later on when you're awake. Likely conversation topics include "how am I not dead?" and "goddamn it not you again".
>>
>>48215357
Boy, you must be fun to game with...
>>
>>48220715
we might take that rule into account. he's a fighter at the moment, uses a lot of magical items and artifacts to make up for the fact he's not all casty. with this new ticker he should be picking up some spells in the form of spellsword in the near future but he has had the heart for about a year or two in game. he talked his wife into getting a similar operation done so he wouldn't outlive her. she got a deep dragon's heart which fits due to her dwarven heritage. his way of rebelling and telling his house to "Fuck Off"
>>
>>48220756
Keep this group there hard to find and thanks for the idea going to ask the GM if he is interested in a D&D Use what works edition.

Blood could carry over with side affects as the magic keeping the heart alive more than likely is effecting the blood cells and cells do multiple. This opens quite a few doors with creativity I'll sleep on it and if the thread is up in the morning I'll post them.
>>
>>48220758
I've played a Tzimisce before... I personally would be down for some body horror stuff. doubly so if it makes an interesting story.
>>
>>48220763
with some of the other mind fuckery he's had to deal with this sounds like an amazing idea. less on the jokey but more on the voice of doubt in the back of his head telling him he's going to fail... I like this...
>>
>>48220843
That urge to build a horde and be a dick to lesser races
>>
>>48220808
I plan on it. we're thick as thieves at this point and I don't see us not playing together. it helps that again, they're just upstairs at the moment sound asleep as it's almost 3am here. I'll do what I can to keep it active till later. might do an image dump here in a few to keep it interesting.
>>
>>48220885
Or recount some adventures you have had I know I wouldn't mind reading them.
>>
>>48215949
>>48215745
My melanin enriched brethen!
>>
>>48220920
bit of a story time then, the DM was a fan of the "Quest for Glory" game series and had the majority of the first main quests follow them. during their time in the western european like hamlet called Mordavia they ( Dovlin and his future wife the half dwarf Ravenna) had a run in with the queen of witches "Baba Yaga" and her living chicken legged hut. much to my cringing it turns out she has a crush on my ebony counterpart. in a thick accent she would call him "Cookie". I still shudder IRL when I hear someone use that as a nickname.
>>
File: dragon heart transformation.png (539 KB, 648x2880) Image search: [Google]
dragon heart transformation.png
539 KB, 648x2880
This
>>
>>48220988
the adventure in mordavia was focused on another cult, this time the cult of the elder god like demon known as Avoozl. a mix of cthulhu and Chernabog. the cult had these amulets that controlled specific things to rebuild his prime material plane form. Blood, Bone, Essence, Breath, Senses, Mouth and Heart. each one allowed you to tap into the god's powers and do various things. Bone Bending, Blood Control, Raise the dead... that sort of thing.
>>
>>48221009
someone mentioned this before, not my cup of tea but if someone else wants this then they can enjoy that all they want.
>>
>>48220872
>Can't we just eat them and be done with it?

>You're terrible at negotiating. Let me do the talking next time.

>Kobolds, eh? We could use a few minions...
>>
>>48215329
This is why I hate high-fantasy.
>>
>>48215329
I think I've seen movie like that
>>
File: 1381637108498.gif (2 MB, 277x360) Image search: [Google]
1381637108498.gif
2 MB, 277x360
>OP wants to do something cool
>DM lets him do something cool
>/tg/ spergs about it

News at 11

ACTUAL FUCKING SUGGESTIONS
>an increase in stamina that in general results in a boost to your carry capacity and a bonus in relation to any exhaustion rules you may practice

>the ability to, once per day, buff all 3 of your physical stats by 2 for 2xBase endurance modifier turns via super oxygenating your blood and muscles. Attempts to use this more than once a day have a 10% chance of causing your arteries to burst, increasing by 10% chance every time. Roll a d100, if you hit over 90/80/70 etc, you die, instantly, and a true resurrection is necessary to revive you

>your blood is now charged with electricity. By doing 1d4 dmg to yourself, you can apply 1d4+1 electric dmg to any edged weapon for 4 rounds, ala an alchemists fire flask. This incidentally means Vampires find biting you extremely unpleasant and you taste coppery. People getting sprayed with your blood take 1d4+1 damage in a small area
>>
>>48220360
>inb4 ur-dragon returns with pawn dragon
>>
>>48221374
>OP wants to do something 'cool'
>DM lets him do something 'cool'

bad players need to be told they are bad, and bag GM's need to be taught to be harder on bad players
>>
>>48221009
this is all kinds of fucked up, and I like it
>>
File: siegfried.jpg (397 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
siegfried.jpg
397 KB, 650x650
>>48216085
This is for you to read, not your player.
Fuck off Dovlin this is advice for your DMYou gotta have the dragon come back from the dead in search of his heart. There are many different kinds of undead you could use, though I would suggest something that can become incorporeal. The perfect time for the dragon to return from the dead would be around the time the player has started to have more or less full control over their dragon powers.
>>
I'm thinking some kind of like, turbo-eldritch cardio-berserker mode?

Like if he gets too worked up, starts taking bleed damage from the everywhere, but extra actions per round, elemental resist appropriate to the dragon, until he finds a way to chill the fuck out. Leaves him absolutely starved as well, straight up lethal if he's suffering from deprivation.
>>
>>48221489
IF
>all players think it's cool
>the GM thinks it cool
THAN
>it is cool
Lacking any context on what the rest of the group thinks, or if this even bothers them, then no - YOU are that guy. When the entire group is into badwrongfun it becomes goodrightfun.

The faggots is you John. It was always you. And besides, how does doing something retarded make them a bad player? Not every game is a game of thrones. By the sounds of it this is probably FR or Greyhawk, super high magic high fantasy settings. So this kind of dumbass shit is par for the course.
>>
>>48221505
goblins ill like fire, Arisen
>>
>>48221530
>>all players think it's cool
>>the GM thinks it cool
>THAN
>>it is cool

let's test that hypothesis shall we?
>players think furry cockvore is cool
>GM thinks furry cockvore is cool
now ask yourself the question, is furry cockvore cool?
>>
>>48217249
>>48215357
>you would die, end of story
cant let any fun happen here, huh?
>>
>>48221634
In their game, yes. It's considered cool.
>>
>>48221634
not forcing you to think "Variable" is cool... don't like "Variable" then get out of the thread where you're the minority. the rest of us are fine with "Variable" and your lack of actual forward moving posting isn't helping except in keeping the thread you don't like bumped.
>>
>>48221678
>"get out of the thread where you're a minority, so we can make more dumbshit threads and tell you to get off the board"
no. everyone here is entitled to the right to tell you how stupid and powerwanky your ideas are, if you don't like being disagreed with publicly then you should go find another site
>>
>>48221693
I can see where I was wrong there. this is an open forum for people and telling them to leave is very dickish. To all who feel the same about me and my "Powerwanky" ideas, thank you for your advice. to those others who have posted other ideas and helped push the conversation forward, thank you as well.
>>
>>48221634
see >>48221668
>>
>>48221693
do note I'm not trying to convert anyone to thinking "x= cool so you should like it" just wanting ideas. the ideas of "stop playing the character and learn to game" has been heard and at this point isn't in option I'm leaning towards. If I turned to the DM in the morning and told him I was done playing the character and wanted to do something more "Realistic" then he would at least ask me to wait till the end of the story arch or the character's death to do so.
>>
>>48221693
>well i DONT like it, so you shouldn't like it EITHER
how fucking far up your own ass are you?
>>
>>48218158
>They're dead
And the heartless dragon isn't?
>>
>>48221841
Meaning that don't have hearts everything that could be done to them is dead, nothing can be done, like dead end
>>
>>48221885
You could probably suck the whole entity into a special jar and hook that up to one of your internal organs if you really wanted to
>>
>>48222020
Injecting ghost juice. Wonder what would happen.
>>
>>48222020
>transplanting condensed ghost into your own body
what would that do besides possibly possessing your character
>>
File: Dragon's Dogma ODW 030.jpg (526 KB, 880x1201) Image search: [Google]
Dragon's Dogma ODW 030.jpg
526 KB, 880x1201
>>48221505
if there was every a reason to seek revenge from beyond the grave, someone desecrating your corpse and stealing both your organs and power seems like a pretty good one
>>
>>48222075
It would be !!SCIENCE!!, what else do you need?
>>
>>48222098
It's justified worse things, so it gets a yes from me; plus who doesn't want to see someone attach a catheter filled with ectoplasmic dragon to themselves
>>
>>48215329
trying to think outside the mold here, probably sounds stupid

okay, so if a dragon is an extremely magical creature, what if some other organ (one a human doesn't have) channeled this magic, and as such the heart requires magic just to function correctly. One reaction this could have on your character is that they basically needed magic to live, needing to "recharge" every couple of days. While their own spells are boosted in power, using them drained a fraction of their own reserves of good juju. Some degree of spell absorption would probably be required/given by the heart, so your character might be sort of a pseudo-atronach
>>
>>48222196
>they basically needed magic to live, needing to "recharge"
>>48217589
>>
File: 1324229008173.jpg (29 KB, 233x280) Image search: [Google]
1324229008173.jpg
29 KB, 233x280
>>48215357
>>
>>48218068
People can be and are given animal hearts, maintained with a cocktail of drugs.

Replace drugs with magic, and I can't imagine a scenario where the transplantee would outright die.
>>
I'd consider something like a barbarian rage. Something they can use ~once a day for a boost. Maybe something bigger that comes with a heft fatigue cost--pushing the heart and taxing their soft human body as punishment.
>>
I'm bowing out of the conversation at the moment. should be back after a while. this has been an awesome experience and will take some of these options to heart. the DM is up but he might not be able to get on by the time this hits page 10/ shuffles off this digital coil. good night/morning all
>>
>>48221489
It was DM's idea...get over it...it's our game, we can do what we want...you don't like it...kiss ass.
>>
bumping, will be posting more as I attempt to survive on a few hours of sleep. Dovlin's future armor after every thing will be said and done.
>>
>>48223542
I hope he doesn't fight anymore dragons then, because those shit resistances will get him killed in one shot.
>>
>>48224277
it's just for looks, not any effects it has from Monster Hunter. Talked to the DM about some of the stuff that was posted earlier, he liked the idea of being haunted by the ghost of the dragon as a nagging and belittling voice in his head. that and the "Mana Vampire" idea. works with some of the Avoozl amulet stuff he's already worked with. just need to get the Blood amulet back first.
>>
>>48215723
Not really, since it's inside him. Line of Effect and all.
>>
>>48224826
and cast by an intermediate rank god kinda helps.
>>
>>48220419
>that built up power will release explosively in a burst of pure magical power striking out from your chest. Of course, if you somehow learn how to control it, perhaps that power could be used in a more controlled fashion...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xyDyDfOlHc
>>
The dragon's essence replaces his own. If we're going high magic enough that this works, the seat of consciousness isn't necessarily the brain. The dragon has a new humanoid body and the player loses control of it. Time to reroll.
>>
>>48224889
so I've been using the Bone amulet to make bone armor not only out of said dragon but of a few other beasties. DM joked that he could see me walking out of Baba's hut and having the parts of the bone armor fly and attach to the right places via 90s Iron man cartoon. great minds good sir.
>>
Keep in mind you also have to maintain the heart nutritionally. You could have some odd cravings, like the need to eat sand or copper or other electrically conductive materials. Can't think of any good benefits at the moment though.
>>
>>48215329
>dragon heart transplant
>May cause shortness of breath up to, and including, death.
>>
>>48224895
after dealing with a few dracoliches the canon is that it's in the "soul" or "spirit". the essence amulet would have helped with that.
>>
I fear the thread is going to 404 before the DM gets home from work to see some of the posts... does anyone have any questions or ideas?
>>
>>48225656
you mentioned something about a wife? How does she deal with this?
>>
>>48225656
>I fear the thread is going to 404 before the DM gets home from work to see some of the posts
4chins has a built in archive now, that holds threads up to 7 days I think. So he will definitely be able to at least read the thread.

Bu I have a question, I think I have not seen a post about the level of the group. So, what level is your group?
>>
File: concerned man.jpg (14 KB, 236x265) Image search: [Google]
concerned man.jpg
14 KB, 236x265
>We've decided that dragon's breath weapons don't come from the heart but from another organ in the body.
Why would you not automatically assume that a BREATH weapons originates in the LUNGS, you fucking retard?
>>
the person posting as Ravenna is the actual player. she's been focused on raising the adaptive kids and running a business and now their biological kid. a little daughter named Lua'urst.

>>48225718
we're all somewhere around 10 to 12th level, but we have a fairly higher effective level due to magical items and the like. a fair amount of artifacts that we've wrestled out of some baddies hands. the main one being Baba Yaga's Hut. thing is a BEAST.
>>
>>48225751
Because, we are using pernese dragons for part of the influence of our dragons...they don't use their "lungs" for the origination of the breath weapon, but a separate stomach/organ...again..it's a home brew, we can make it the way we want...way to read everything...silly boy.
>>
>>48225751
going off of 3rd editions Draconomicon the breath weapon doesn't come from the lungs but the fundamentum, an organ that charges the breath weapon... that and what Ravenna posted here...>>48225794
>>
>>48225777
Man. I had the plan of having a character make a comfy walking hut like Baba Yagas for a few weeks now.
>>
File: tumblr_n3z9q5CBAI1s0rmumo3_500.gif (829 KB, 500x261) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3z9q5CBAI1s0rmumo3_500.gif
829 KB, 500x261
>>48220419
>As you gain control of it, it manifests as an ethereal image of the dragon that can be directed by your will to attack enemies
>>
>That total shift in the quality of the thread as the Australians and Brits go to sleep/work
God moot was right after all.
>>
>>48225794
>silly boy
One, go fuck yourself with a pipe bomb. Two, that doesn't explain why captain retard said
> We've decided that dragon's breath weapons don't come from the heart but from another organ in the body.
as if he expected any of us to hold the retarded belief that the heart is the source of a dragon's breath weapon.
>>
>>48225863
I never stated it came from the heart, I mention it a few times so people would understand that I'm not looking to have a dragon breath weapon. the DM knows this and the Players know this. that's why I'm asking for various other effects it might have. like what this person posted here...>>48225847
Having a pissed off Blue Dragon Stand that I bend with my will to fight for my side... maybe it disobeys every now and again as it's past personality and memories start to reform being a member of "The Cult of the dragon"... I liek this, adds plot and story hooks and Jojo is pretty sweet.
>>
>>48225863
Angry grognard hates fun, news at 11
>>
>>48215989
how about getting one as a friend who lets ypu ride him into battle??
>>
>>48225908
>I never stated it came from the heart, I mention it a few times so people would understand that I'm not looking to have a dragon breath weapon.
But you did so in a manner implying that the heart was considered the default source. Why?
>>
>>48215329
You know that cartoon porn drawing with the knight that's cursed with a dragon vagina? That should happen.
>>
>>48225936
cause some people have settings where that's where it's from. just covering bases, you thought it came from the lungs...
>>
>>48225947
that was posted earlier and deleted by a janitor/mod, while it's not my thing I know some people are into it.
>>
>>48225934
Baba had a few eggs in a section of the hut. they hatched and there was three dragons. Dovlin saw money signs but Ravenna wanted to raise them... those are the "adopted kids" I mentioned earlier. one red, one blue and one green. she raised the green and blue while he "Trained" the red, more like gave him reasons not to eat us while using him to rain death from the skies. she bought a 4th dragon later. the main three are now pretty much doing what they want but the new one acts more like a giant cat/dog hybrid. imagine a larger toothless.
>>
>>48225961
>cause some people have settings where that's where it's from.
Literally who?
>>
>>48225975
>that was posted earlier and deleted by a janitor/mod.
Didn't see it but knew that would happen if posted which is was why I described it, and didn't post the it. that's how a person gets banned.

Seriously though, I would say it doesn't really do anything special. Much like how they can make with anything, their organs can (with the proper magical size adjustment) be transplanted successfully into any species and blood type.
>>
>>48226035
Sorry meant, mate with anything
>>
>>48226032
other people? some population of players that I don't know? sorry I don't know every setting or system including random homebrews. I don't have the answers you seek but there is google that might help you aim your anger where it belongs.
>>
>>48226032
>>48225936
>>48225863
Literally who CARES, man? It was clearly intended as a disambiguation. The most visible power or trait one would reasonably associate with gaining draconic anything (dragon heritage etc.), aside from various damage resistances, is a breath weapon. That line was included to let people know that OP and OP's DM had already ruled that one out. It doesn't matter for shit if any system or setting does use dragon hearts as the source of breath weapons, only that OP's setting specifically does not.

Rub one out, take a deep breath, and stop being such a fucking pedant. Christ.
>>
>>48215357
>>
>>48225863
One, your mother must have never taught you manners...shame on her..Two, "Captain Retard" never said that the heart is the source of our dragon's breath weapons...he said an organ that was not the lungs was the source of them. That was in response to someone asking why he didn't transplant said lungs to get said breath weapon...if you would learn to READ the WHOLE thread, and not just pick and choose what you wanted to read...maybe you wouldn't be such an ignorant person yourself....Learn some manners, and learn to read...that is all.
>>
Right, so I think part of the reason /tg/'s throwing a shitfit is because op's post rings a little too close to megaman-ing your way to ULTIMATE POWAH. I know that's not your intention, but when triggering hits, it hits hard.

So one option is to make it clear that this attempt at extending your life has major costs. Now, I'm not terribly familiar with actual d&d mechanics, but there's nothing wrong with the classics: suddenly your character can speak to birds, and is immune to fire. But sometimes the birds lie. Sometimes they speak in the dragon's voice. Sometimes your character hallucinates the bird altogether (though that doesn't exclude the bird having the right info anyway). And every once in a long while, the character hallucinates that he IS the bird, flying over a thick, lush forest with black smoke seeping through the branches like blood through a bandage.

Though the worst are the dreams, really. On nights when the heart acts up, and you can barely move, you always wake screaming from dreams where a thousand birds claw their way out of your gullet and open ash-laden wings and set flight into the night sky as the dragon laughs and laughs and laughs...

Though those might be preferable to the 'good' days when you just feel unbearably hot, like you just might catch fire and you just know the whole world will burn with you.

(of course, for bonus creepy points, your wife - whom iirc, underwent the same procedure - shows none of these symptoms at all)
>>
>>48227107
The guy defending OP's choice of words here: you really ought to lurk more before posting. Acting like a condescending dick isn't going to help your case that OP's not being a condescending dick.
>>
>>48227327
I'm guessing birds and dragons have a strong connection... I like where this is going as a trade off for the Stand/ dragon energy projection or some of the other effects mentioned. I do like a good balance and something like that would be a well themed and balanced negative.
>>
File: Male_Drow_Ranger.jpg (221 KB, 1484x1920) Image search: [Google]
Male_Drow_Ranger.jpg
221 KB, 1484x1920
to put an image to the name. this is Dovlin. he had to cut his hair so it's now at about top of shoulder length. I want to get ahold of a drawfag at some point in time and see if they'd give him the bone armor and sword along with the change in hair length.
>>
this is a better pic. just with more armor on the arms, torso and legs...
>>
>>48215329
oh, fuck off, you super-special snowflake-areshole.
>>
>>48228151
can you name a hero in fiction who isn't?
>>
>>48228480
human male fighter, sword and board, just in for moneys
>>
>>48228496
so a non named NPC? the moment you give a character any form of a backstory most of /tg/ calls "Snowflake". you can think he is and that's ok though. thanks for the thread bump.
>>
>>48215329
Gains a bunch of immunitys and can live for multiple century's but have to drink fresh dragon blood once every ten years or die
>>
>>48220111
He said his ass is shaven, not his groin. Also he didn't literally mean pubic hair, he was insulting the hair on his head.
>>
>>48228861
Change century's to millenia's
>>
>>48215329
Direct your DM to the Weapons of Legacy splat book. It's a good place to start for making such a thing cohesive beyond what a graft might do for you. Make's the heart suddenly an important item to the character, and helps to grant the DM ideas for the rest of the party too, should he like the idea. Easy enough to fiddle with for other systems outside of 3.x too.
>>
>>48216543
oh christ I know exactly the one you mean. there used to be a link on tvtropes nightmare fuel/fate worse than death/taken for granit/etc but it's probably gone now.

It freaked me out when I first saw it but I'll try and find it for you.
>>
>>48229400
It's already in the thread
>>48221009
>>
File: DragonHeart2.png (133 KB, 1340x500) Image search: [Google]
DragonHeart2.png
133 KB, 1340x500
>>48216543
>>48229400

Aha! Found it!

>>48229430
Oh, okay. But there's a second part!
>>
Have the heart slowly make him more greedy and Lawful Evil like the blue dragon. It's partly ingrained in their being after all.
>>
File: 1447101184396.jpg (217 KB, 1308x916) Image search: [Google]
1447101184396.jpg
217 KB, 1308x916
>>48220843
As time goes on, you start having lucid dreams of being trapped in a cave with a familiar and very amused looking dragon. The dragon is happy to chat, and even offers to show you around its 'new lair'.

The cave is a little bigger every time you visit. You can see where the dragon has been digging away at the walls.
>>
>>48215357
>smuganimeloli.jpg

You smug faggot
>>
I'm back. >>48229267
I'll make sure I tell him here in a moment. I'll check to see if I have a copy myself.
>>
File: young lady.png (145 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
young lady.png
145 KB, 500x381
>>48231618
>>48215409
>>48215421
>>48220768
>>48221647
>>48222279

At this moment I am euphoric, not because of my smug anime loli, but because of my (Yous)
>>
>>48226032
The Draconomicon itself.
Cites draconic magics start in the heart, are filtered through the fundamentum, and settle in the gizzard where it is expectorated as breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.

Or did I read that wrong?
>>
>>48234333
K, re read it and I certainly did read it wrong. The fundamentum is attached to the heart and all blood flows through the fundamentum, however the fundamentum is what makes a true dragon, and creates the breath weapon.
Regardless... Draconic organs presenting draconic abilities are something I'm fine with.
Loved making Dovlin pass out, and equally loved portraying some slight magical immunities, especially in regards to electrical attacks.
>>48225807
Do it. But Baba's particular hut has centuries of crazy af enchantments, porcket dimensions, spells disguised as other spells, and insane magical abilities.
It's also very sturdy.
>>
>>48215329
dependes on how magical your setting is

i would say i gives him lightning resistancce, and a sudden love for dragon/draconic stuff, lile, wanting to learn draconing, and to learn everything about their religion bahamut/tiamat, etc

if its more magical you could also have him made will saves every month/year or so, every 3 failed rolls he moves one step closer to the dragon's aligment and personality

starts drinking the same wines the dragon used to, same with food, and starts to do the same day to day routines

then he either becomes as evil as the dragon, or starts to find a way to bring him back to life, OR starts looking for a way to become a blue dragon himself, eventually replacing him

>>48216025
>Dragon sickness
what does it do?
>>
>>48236112
irrational greed, lust for gold, that sorta thing
>>
>>48220768
>>48221647
>>48222279
If being retarded is fun to you go ahead, Just don't act all suprised when people call you retarded.
>>
>>48218068
>Using the same mix of science and magic?
Well I guess we'll never know, since the real world doesn't fucking have magic now does it?
>>
>>48236112
I am wearing armor made from his flesh and weapons made from his bones... we let the goblins or the other dragons eat his brains... I can see him unintentionally trying to shift into one but under "his own power" instead of using magics to do so.
>>
>>48225807
he says "sturdy" what he means is as close to "indestructible" then he's willing to admit. we used it to kill the blue dragon in question. dropped it from high height onto his back, snapping it and paralyzing it.
>>
>>48215329
You'd become even more of a Mary Sue.
I bet you're a drow too
>>
>>48239832
>Someone who hasn't read the thread
>>
>>48216025
THIS
>>
>>48217589
this but with fire

also, fire/heat resistance
>>
>>48240127
are we talking about insanity caused by greed or something more? I can play greedy to a T
>>
>>48220419
>>48225847
RYUU GA WAGA TEKI WO KURAU
>>
>>48240149
"Dragon, consume my foes" does have a nice ring to it...
>>
>>48215329
>we've decided that the dragon's breath weapons don't come from the heart

You're playing D&D, so that's canon. Read the Draconomicon, it's called the draconis fundamentum and, while it's attached to the heart, it is a separate organ.

That said, maybe most of the half-dragon racial abilities, but not the breath weapon?
>>
File: AdventurerHeart(gargantuan).jpg (22 KB, 473x187) Image search: [Google]
AdventurerHeart(gargantuan).jpg
22 KB, 473x187
>>48215329
And the adventurer's heart grew three sizes that day.

Seriously though, cardiac hypertrophy is no laughing matter.
>>
>>48240565
it's a homebrew based off D&D but yes we decided to keep that part of the lore. we even checked the other editions of the Draconomicon for information and ideas. I figured it would add part of the "Half Dragon" or "Dragon kin" templet

>>48240882
Ha, filename is appropriate
>>
>>48227107
whatchu sayin' bout my momma?
>>
>>48215329
A sudden and growing desire to sleep atop a pile of stolen gold and jewels, and an affinity for the weather (Or at least thunderstorms).
>>
The problem is that this can be too much mary sue. This is going to be a mixed bag, so here are some ideas for negatives to balance out whatever benefits you find.

1. Dragon sickness was already brought up here. Maybe a profound frugalness, a desire to collect but never to spend for seemingly no reason (this also gives you a good reason to stay in any successful party)
2. Slowly lose the ability to forgive and forget. If you weren't before, increasingly feel the statement "might makes right" is completely accurate. Become almost possessive of those you trust.
3. Aversion to cold foods, cold beds, cold drinks, cold streams, etc.
4. While you may have a dragon heart, your body has problems dealing with it. For example, if not for some regularly ingested (mandrake, dragonroot, whatever) your extremities begin to become very red and begin to itch and burn (think of it as the opposite of frostbite). If this persists for too long the limbs must be operated on - either removed or healed by magical means.
5. You are a complete lightweight to alcohol now with amplified swings in mood. You are a nightmare at the ball but a great asset at the local tavern. You like..high protein...rare diets
6. It is increasingly difficult to get you to care about crises that will last a human lifetime. The bigger and bigger picture is what moves you.
7. You like high places - ramparts, towers, treetops- and am uneasy bordering on paranoid on the ground
8. You are increasingly averse to killing reptilian species.
9. Your heart pumps so consistently under stress that you often accidentally push your body too hard. You find at the end of the day that the soles of your feet or hands are often bloody from overexertion.
10. Sulfur is a comforting smell to you. I see mention of blue dragons in which case salt water and storms are comforting as well.
>>
>>48242669
coincidentally I've been doing some of these in game already or something close. he's been increasingly focused on the far future to the point of wanting to wipe all of Menzoberranzan off the map. He loves reptiles as they're mounts/ teammates. the inversion to cold would be fine for a red but this is a blue... maybe a need for some sand in the bed? wifey might hate that one. in game we got access to this "Demon wine" made by the cult of Avoozl (From the Quest for glory pc game series) and he has become a bit of a drinker but it hits him almost instantly... I like the idea that it's all alcohol. I like the "push till you break" mentality as well... I can see him working on his armor and weapons for days on end till he ends up passing out after 4 or 5 days straight. very good ideas indeed. All the internets to you Elegan/tg/entleman
>>
>>48225848
What did moot say???
>>
you have all given me and the DM some amazing ideas. I'll keep this tab open but I won't be bumping it anymore after this... thank you all.
>>
File: 1428079330801.jpg (43 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1428079330801.jpg
43 KB, 500x378
>>48215357
>>48218068
Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.