[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First in D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: DnD_StarterBox.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
DnD_StarterBox.png
159 KB, 300x300
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to D&D, and I bought the starter set to play with some friends.

>What are your recomendations as a DM?
>How can I make everyones first experience be fun?
>After finishing the mine of Phandelver, what expansion should we play next?

Also please share your first experiences playing D&D.
>>
>>48207884
>What are your recomendations as a DM?
Return the starter set and get something better.
>How can I make everyones first experience be fun?
You can't.
See answer 1.

>Also please share your first experiences playing D&D.
Okay.

>be playing D&D board game with friends
>figure I'd do some research into D&D
>find core set
>read through it
>put group together
>stumble awkwardly through first few sessions
>friend takes over GMing
>makes game fun even though the rules constantly work against him
>half of group becomes irrelevant because of class choice
>group seems to fall apart
>switch to 4e
>everyone happy
>>
File: HOW DO I DND v0.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
HOW DO I DND v0.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48208419
Shut up, you troll.

>>48207884
Just do your best the first couple of times and don't get discouraged. Don't let the rules get in the way of fun. Make things up on the spot, use your imagination. Remember, it's a game of play-pretend, not a mathematics textbook.

Don't self-insert yourself as an NPC.
Don't make your NPCs more powerful or interesting than the PCs.

Check out some of the links in the attached PDF, they can help your game by showing examples.

Have fun.
>>
>>48209541
Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean I'm trolling.
I would gladly give the same answers under an oath of truth. Actually, I would give the same answers in a Zone of Truth, to be exact.
>>
>>48207884
Remember that role-playing is just "playing pretend" for grownups. It's not a wargame and the game is about more than just following and exploiting the rules. Have fun. Be cinematic. Don't let the rules become a prison. Don't be afraid to wing things on occasion. "Fun" is more important than "right"--just make sure that you aren't the only one having fun.

I recommend sitting down with your players beforehand and discussing expectations for the game, what kind of tone you're going for, what sort of etiquette you'd appreciate and so forth. Like, how much table talk is okay? Is it okay for folks to give out of character advice to another player? How silly is it okay for players to be? How much attention do you expect people to pay to the game (is it okay for half the time to be spent on people making jokes, or would you like to keep that to a minimum so you can make better progress and maybe retain a certain mood?). Is it okay for PCs to leave the group or attack each other? (Hint: no.) That sort of thing. Just generally talk about shit so that you're not just hoping that everybody will have the same standards and outlook that you do.
>>
>>48209585
Then you're an idiot. If you genuinely wanted to be helpful, you'd have said something useful like "5e is bad because x, get 4e instead because it does y better."
>>
Please stop asking these questions and making these stupid threads.

Type your questions into Google, and read what comes up.
>>
>>48209541
>>48210087
Thanks a lot, I will keep these advices in mind
>>
File: 1448554448542.gif (186 KB, 678x422) Image search: [Google]
1448554448542.gif
186 KB, 678x422
>>48208419
>4e
>Good
Pick one M8
>>
>>48207884
You can create your own storyline you don't need to buy or play one of their premade adventures. But if you really want to just read their reviews and decide which one is more interesting to you more storywise.
>>
>>48210497
Had the same thought last week, after seeing this question for the 40th time.
This board needs a better sticky - some list of links to either past threads with this topic, or links to information.
>>
>>48207884
There's no real direct continuation of Phandelver.

Might have some fan thing. You could modify an adventure to accommodate level 5 characters or make up your own.
>>
>>48207884
Princes of the Apocalypse has suggestions for going into it from Lost Mine of Phandelver. The upcoming Storm King's Thunder will also have story hooks connected to it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.