[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Setting advice/suggestions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: prey-for-the-gods-1.jpg (96 KB, 1280x744) Image search: [Google]
prey-for-the-gods-1.jpg
96 KB, 1280x744
Just finished running a campaign recently, great success, about to start a new one and saw this game pop up, it basically just a more modern shadow of the colossus.

thinking about a more dynamic setting with colossus populating the world, a bunch scattered across the land, some of large size some of enormous, some of extreme, etc...

to the point, what advice would you have for a setting like this? what do you think should be in it? what have you done or seen? what would be a good idea? you get it.

not sure on a system yet, our group is pretty flexible about systems, but i hear mouse guard is good for running shadow of the colossus so ill look into that.

Thanks in advance

(if this is a repost sorry, i think there was an error and the last one didnt post, if it is ill delete this)
>>
Well, the thing about SotC is that it was a symbolical tale first, and a world being build second.
In other words, it was a story told through environment (and the environment existed solely to serve the story: one about desperation and the tragedy of being unwilling to accept bad shit happening, willing to defile the world itself, and inevitably ending in even more suffering) not a story OF the environment.

So I think if you want to emulate SotC, you really need to know what are you wanting to TELL your placers. What kind of meaning is hidden at the bottom of the world.
In SotC, in very simplified manner: the Colossi represent insurmountable adversity you will encounter when you are not willing to accept the world as it is.
What should the Colossi mean in your world?

That is how I would go about creating settings and campaign like you want.
But I'm also a pretentious git, so there is that.
>>
>>48189599
i love what you're saying, this is really good advice actually, ill keep this in mind.

i did however miss a very key detail in my first post, I'm not trying to run a SotC campaign, i just want a game where there are colossus commonly throughout the land. and am looking for advice on how to make that kind of world more interesting.

I do extremely apologize, i should have made this clearer. i will however remember this when i start working on the story of this game.
>>
>>48189647
>I do extremely apologize, i should have made this clearer. i will however remember this when i start working on the story of this game.
Nothing to apologize for, I actually kinda projected that into your post myself.
As for making a world populated by colossi interesting, one thing that springs to mind to me is that the world IS colossi, just of varying shapes and degrees of size, Some so old that they became (almost) immovable and literally became the land, others, younger and smaller, still moving around. This could make for some interesting dynamics, entire continents islands being ancient, sleeping creatures floating on sea or in the air. You could explain things like earthquakes and near-cataclysmatic events being results of said ancients waking up, moving etc... It's not particularly original concept, I'm pretty sure some works have already experimented with similar ideas, but it would still make the landscaping features consistent with the smaller colossi that still move around quite actively.
>>
>>48189774
In addition, it could make the world more dynamic, as entire mountain ranges (gargantuan snakes, for an example), islands and other features of the world could be in a state of constant change, shifting around on the back of the biggest colossi, new land formations emerging as smaller colossi grew to certain age and settle down (or die). The process of new colossi birthing could be also a lot of fun to explore.
You could make it about layers of layers of creatures living on each other's backs, a sort of fractal like world where you find similar patterns repeated across various levels of scope: from tiny animals living in grass to entire mountain ranges "living" on back of continents, to continents living on back of something incomprehensibly large, old, but still alive.

So, that's a thought.
>>
self bump.
>>
>>48189804
Holy shit. thats my new campaign setting.
>>
File: Tarot Complete Set10.png (347 KB, 898x1497) Image search: [Google]
Tarot Complete Set10.png
347 KB, 898x1497
>>48189804
Oh yeah I quite dig this. Plus there could be some reincarnation stuff going on.

To steal something from an old quest, giant primordial animal called "Zizz" is basically a bird so incomprehensibly huge it covers the sky, all of it. And in strange eons it lays an egg, dies, leaving its bones scattered to the world and the egg hatches and becomes a new continent spanning storm bringing ultra bird.
>>
>>48194732
>To steal something from an old quest

Pretty sure they stole that from Judaism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziz
>>
>>48195768
I knew as much from Big O and Pokemon too.

Ziz
Leviathan
and Behemoth.

Could make for three "Primordial gods" in such a setting. One for Land Sea and Air.
>>
>>48195790
No Underworld god?
>>
>>48195790
You're forgetting Khonsu, Tohu and Bohu.

And most importantly Khepri.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.