[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would anyone play a tabletop version of the Romance of the Three
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: ROTK13_Cover.jpg (641 KB, 905x1280) Image search: [Google]
ROTK13_Cover.jpg
641 KB, 905x1280
Would anyone play a tabletop version of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Powerful independent characters, massive hordes of troops and a whole load of tactics sounds good to me.

Wei, Shu and Wu would obviously have full rulebooks whilst Yellow Turbans, the forces of Ding Yuan and Nanman would also make an appearance.

The game would revolve around what generals and special characters you fielded, with the average troop being the ones capturing objectives and providing the "meat" of the armies. This would allow for a less bloated game as normal troops wouldn't have many, if any, special rules to note except for there weapon stats. The specials would come from the generals and leaders; this would help on a competitive scene as load outs would centre around these independent characters rather than the whole army.

Campaign books would be great and a campaign system for playing the RotTK over an amount of time would be awesome to see too.

Overall I think RotTK would be perfect for a tabletop and you should too.
>>
>>48175076
>Would anyone play a tabletop version of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
Only if you stat up Lu Bu
>>
>>48175076
Is there any system that does mass battles well?
>>
File: Lu_bu.jpg (4 MB, 2456x3337) Image search: [Google]
Lu_bu.jpg
4 MB, 2456x3337
>>48175090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBVPSsFCUc

WS:10 BS:7 STR:7 T:6 W:3 MUSOU:9 LD:11

"Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?" - when another general engages in close combat with Lu Bu you must enter a dual, they must take a LD test or suffer d6 wounds.

"You insects dare to oppose me!" - when Lu Bu charges a unit of troops they must take a LD test or the unit is wiped out.

"I am the Greatest Warrior of the Three Kingdoms!" - if Lu Bu wins a dual with another General then +1 STR to a maximum of 10

"I fear no man!" - Fearless
>>
>>48175164
You forgot:
>INT:1
>>
>>48175076
I totally would.

If, you know, I had anyone to play with.
>>
Does anyone know any systems for this sort of thing, or some way of building my own system?
>>
>>48175076
I'll just leave this here
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/24/cardboard-children-three-kingdoms-redux/
>>
>>48175076
Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Dynasty Warriors?
>>
>>48175076
>would anyone play
Nope.
>>
>>48177259
Well, if you're going with something a little closer to reality, basically any low fantasy system would work.

If you want something closer to Dynasty warriors, Scarlet Heroes has a nice mechanic for churning through mooks
>>
>>48177396
really looking for a tabletop wargame opposed to an RPG
>>
>>48177439
If you're going for realistic-ish Romance of the Three Kingdoms, any period appropriate historical wargame would work well enough (ask /hwg/ for more info). If you're going for Dynasty Warriors, I have no idea.
>>
>>48177439
Check out the PS2 title Dynasty Tactics and Dynasty Tactics 2.

It´s simple, but pretty good. And comfy as fuck.
>>
>>48175123
>>48177259
>>48175076

I am also interested in this.
>>
>>48177439
I'm with this guy. But I'd want a solo game because there's no way I could get anyone interested enough to play more than once.

>>48177479
Most of those are too complicated and focus on unit tactics of combined arms via specialized units. The Three Kingdoms war had units who could do everything, the limitation was what each could obtain, as there were far more men than trained warhorses, suits of fine armor, or cho-ku-no. With such large contingents of men, it's more realistic to just paint sections of the terrain.

Most of the myriad computer offerings are focused on fixed positional tactics that would've been decimated by the ranged weapons of the time, or they slot in special abilities on generals like a RPG. It ruins it for me.
>>
I think a heavily changed mage knight system could do the trick.... maybe
>>
I have to admit that I've pondered ripping out the mechanics from Legend of the Five Rings for a RoTK game.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.