[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say you're new to tabletops, and you have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1446107581639.jpg (109 KB, 420x850) Image search: [Google]
1446107581639.jpg
109 KB, 420x850
Let's say you're new to tabletops, and you have to GM, because everyone else is a lazy fucker. You need a system that makes sense and can help compensate a bit for not having any GMing skill. What do?

GURPS and D&D are both already out, after careful consideration and a few sessions of two editions of the latter.
>>
File: Dungeon World Guide.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon World Guide.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43802390

Well, there's Dungeon World, which is kind of like taking a class in being an old-school GM.
If you're not good at bullshitting things on the fly, get ready to get some practice, though.
Just be sure to read and follow the GM rules, they're not just suggestions, they're important.

http://www.darkshihttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y-EQ1GUpnhRF6dlMugSRcQBpmVkCmFJFND6b4_TTiew/re.net/jhkim/rpg/srd/dungeonworld

Read the SRD, and if you like it and wanna run it, read PDF related and go.

Big list of third-party classes, too:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y-EQ1GUpnhRF6dlMugSRcQBpmVkCmFJFND6b4_TTiew/
>>
>>43802390
Fate can work if everyone involved can wrap their heads around it. Mostly good for more cinematic and pulpy games.
>>
>>43802544
I looked over Fate before and didn't really get it. Can I get a tl;dr?
>>
>>43802511

Goddamn crappy mousewheel keeps clicking accidentally.

First link should be:

http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/srd/dungeonworld
>>
>>43802549
Kind of barking up the wrong tree as I've never really gotten into it either. Would probably get more out of asking in a general, but, I can give it a go.

But for the most part, the basic rolling is simple, the Aspects are the bigger chunk needed to grok it fully. Basically, your aspects are meant to define the character in interesting, meaningful ways, in some senses indicate what they can and cannot do (because the skills are pretty light on that), and also drive the game to an extent via compels.

Fate is big on narrative and emulating fiction, so you're expected to make trouble for your own characters based on their strengths and weaknesses you outlined in their aspects while following whatever central narrative thread or plot there is.

You'll have to excuse me if that barely made sense, I've been up for a while with an impacted tooth.
>>
>>43802390
Mouseguard
>>
>>43802390
Everyone is John.
>>
Fiasco is pretty good.
>>
File: lasers_and_feelings_rpg.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
lasers_and_feelings_rpg.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43802390
My group had a lot of fun with Lasers and Feelings. It's fairly based on improv and storytelling, but our inexperienced GM handled it very well. Helped him get a hold of the idea of GMing better before making a foray into more complex systems. It's as light-hearted and simple as it gets, too, so you don't have to worry about screwing something up.
>>
dont know if it is the most efficient way , but i constructed an own homebrew from scratch , including own lore and oriented around historical martial arts and warfare for mechanics
>>
>>43802390
If I need to run with no prep and with a familiar group of friends that can deal with anime themes, I run Maid RPG. Game runs itself from the book, easy fun, can toss it together in 20 minutes and cackle about stupid antics the whole way through.

If I've got time to prep and put things together, but have to pick an unfamiliar system, I'd probably angle for Savage Worlds.
>>
>>43802727
Heard a lot of good about this, and the rules are... well, obviously pretty simple. Might give it a go.
>>
>>43802390
Mutants and Masterminds.
>>
Here's my standard pitch / copy-paste for Babarians of Lemuria.

Barbarians of Lemuria is rules-light, straight forward, and uncomplicated by the same sort of leveling and class balance issues that even the simplest editions of D&D have. Making up a character in Barbarians of Lemuria is simple:

>Divide 4 points between 4 Attributes: Strength, Agility, Mind and Appeal.

>Divide 4 points between 4 Combat Abilities: Melee, Ranged, Defense and Initiative.

>Divide 4 points between 4 different Careers you choose from a list of 26, including things like Thief, Hunter, Priest, Merchant, etc. (you can put 0 points into some, which counts as just sort of having your foot in the door).

>Where did you grow up? Choose a Boon for those listed for your region.

And that's pretty much all there is to it. Everything is resolved by rolling 2d6 + an Attribute + either a Combat Ability or Career (depending on whether you're in or out of combat). You're trying to beat 9. And remember how few points you divvied up before? Your average score in an Attribute, Combat Ability, or Career you have is 1. So we're talking about 2d6 + 2 on average, which is pretty easy to manage. (Obviously, these rolls may be modified according to the difficulty of the situation, but that tends to come down to the GM eyeballing things and saying something like "it seems like it's going to be a bit tricky to climb that in the rain, so I'm giving you a -1 penalty".)

Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

Legendary Edition (earlier edition, fewer details & more minimalist presentation makes it even easier to learn, but rules aren't as refined) -- http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want the added minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up a bit) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
>>
>>43802390
GURPS, all D&D editions and FATAL are pretty solid systems.
>>
>>43803645
Not OP, but thanks for this, friend.
>>
>>43802390
One of the largest issues with games is their character creation. A lot is left to the imagination in most systems, and that can be a burden to some players. FATAL has so many important traits and character features packaged that by the end of character creation you're sure to have something to play with alot of character. Best of all FATAL is packaged with software to help in the creation of characters to make it easier on new GMs!
>>
This thread is terrible. 'Use the flavour of the month hipster system which relies on you having a really specific set of skills and social dynamic in your group' is not good advice for what OP wants. Dungeon World is not a general purpose system, it's a very specific niche. Fate is not suitable for people who aren't confident in their GM skills. Lasers and Feelings is fine if you want a session of mostly improv drama, but barely qualifies as a game.

Really, it seems like you want Dungeons and Dragons, but you say that you don't so I'll take your word for it.

If you want a generic system, Savage Worlds is probably the best for your needs.

If you would prefer a setting to go with your game, how about one of the Warhammer RPGs? Either 40k or Fantasy. All of them have very straightforward character creation which results in a character who fits into the setting and the 40k ones give you a simple mission which drives you to find adventures and get on with shit. Also, most gamers will be familiar with the settings.

Or how about a Star Wars game? The Fantasy Flight ones look simple, fun and straightforward. Literally everyone knows the setting for that.

Or if you prefer something free, there's Atomic Highway. It's excellent as generating random shit with it's loot tables and so on. Great if you just want your players to wander around fighting random enemies and finding stuff.
>>
Microlite D20
>>
>>43805898
While I don't think this thread is terrible, I think this guy has the right idea by suggesting you go with a setting everyone knows rather than a ruleset. If everyone's on the same page with "Star Wars" it makes arbitrating actions easier as a GM regardless of the setting because everyone knows what can and can't be done.

Which is one of the reasons why Fate is good, but mostly for groups with some practice and cohesion already, because the rules are so loose sometimes that you need to all have the same understanding of what your game is supposed to be about.
>>
>>43805898

>Hurr don't play a flavor of the month hipster system!
>Try this obscure post-apoc system called Atomic Highway! It totally doesn't qualify, but those do, because reasons!
>muh "real game" argument

I've played most of the systems in this thread, and apart from the guys posting memes about FATAL, they're basically all great.
But I suppose it wouldn't be a /tg/ thread without somebody shitting on other people's fun, right?

>>43806228

Yeah, you probably should all figure out what kind of setting you want to play before you pick a system to do it, unless you're just going to do a one shot.
But one shots in random settings can also be great for people to learn roleplaying, because there's so little up-front investment, and your mistakes don't end up becoming canon for the world or anything.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.