[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for a player in need, and That DM stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1390675601752.jpg (78 KB, 1024x573) Image search: [Google]
1390675601752.jpg
78 KB, 1024x573
So, my DM is pretty tough on us, I need some help on how to survive in a campaign with wacky monsters that act like god versions of themselves(trolls with 500+ hp, class levels above 9, bumped stats, and generally boosted everything).

He isn't unfair, he has been extremely apt to allow us creative freedom with our roleplaying, but the combat is brutal as all get out.

The grand total of deaths in his campaign is close to 15. The party level is averaging on 9-11. The system is 3.5, the only books he has banned are the dragon mag(and compendium).

Any and all suggestions needed.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=623379
>>
File: It Don't Matter.jpg (139 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
It Don't Matter.jpg
139 KB, 600x404
>>43802010
The obvious answer is leave, but since you won't be doing that, I can tell you how I dealt with killer DMs, back in my younger days when I was too stupid to just leave and play with other people.

If the GM is going to kill you in every combat scenario, talking to him about it is your first step. I have never, NEVER had a GM improve as a result of this. Some have remained the same, others have become worse to punish us for questioning them. But even though it is pointless, you should still try and speak with him, say you're concerned, just in case he's one of these mythical GMs who supposedly exist who actually listen to feedback. Ask other players if they feel the same way to judge if you're just the odd man out, in which case, again, probably best to leave.

When he ignores you or becomes worse in retaliation, the only option you have (other than the option of leaving) is to invalidate him. You can't try and compete. For one thing, you'll never be able to minmax a character strong enough to overcome a dick GM who can simply alter reality at his whim. But more importantly, he WANTS you to try and beat him. He wants you to build more and more powerful characters so he can keep crushing them, your frustrated inability to defeat him increasing the blood flow into his dick, much like someone who goes on the internet and defeats children at a game he plays 40 hours a week as a way to stroke his ego.

Instead, do the opposite of what he wants, and create characters who refuse to engage with his bullshit. Play minmaxed face characters with low intelligence, severe apathy, and borderline depression. When things get dangerous, just give up. Constantly try to surrender to enemies, even as they pummel you to death. Act as though you just don't get it, and let him kill you over and over. Just keep shrugging it off and making the exact same useless character each time.

More often than not, this kills their spirit, and they give up.

Or you could leave.
>>
>>43802282
Good advice, anon!
>>43802010
I'd just do what this guy said. If he's making combat difficult for you just refuse to do it. Whenever he sends a monster after you just have a winge about how unfair this campaign is and just refuse to try and have the least bit of fun with the campaign he's running as you possible can!

Is it a combat orientated campaign because he's pushing you to do combat, or because the players constantly seek it out?
>>
>>43802010
GM yourself, watch everyone have more fun when you're running the game, maybe That GM will get a clue (if only out of butthurt jealousy).
>>
>>43802282
I appreciate the apathy towards this sort of thing, but this has been my first campaign in years, I felt sort of obligated to play after getting to know the party. I suppose I'll talk to him in private, away from the others to get his side of the story.

>>43802769
We seek it out most times, but only with some prompting from the dm. He doesn't railroad. It is fairly freeform. I think the current encounters we are experiencing were specifically built. When we were traveling through a *insert undead area here* area, we encountered random death/disease/energy drain sorts of enemies. In the current area we're just fucking around in the kings general area, trying to find a foothold and regain our loot we'd lost in a dungeon(to a slime spell that dissolved our equipment, long story)
>>
>>43802879
If he's not pushing you to do combat and you players are, it seems like that's the reason combat's so difficult. Maybe he wants you to do things other than kill shit?
>>
>>43803010
I'm not the party 'leader', but I am a pretty diplomatic guy. I'll try and sway my party towards less combat oriented play. We have a overarching plot surrounding a lawful evil king expanding his kingdom. He isn't a real tyrant, yet, but we're just working for him out of necessity(he has nondetection, we know, but we don't 'know').
>>
>>43802010
Maybe you should consider the option of what a normal person would do when facing a giant troll.
Which would be to nope outta there and call the military.
>>
>>43802010
You seem to be vaguely in the know, so I assume you know that trolls have regeneration and only properly take damage from fire/acid instead of normal damage? That's the first thing that comes to mind with "HP bloated trolls"

Another question; is everyone enjoying themselves? It sounds like a brutal but "not unfair" GM, are you looking for optimisation advice or ways to get the GM to turn it down?
>>
>>43803327
I am aware of this, but the trolls in question had a cleric troll (13th level, she cast Miracle) whom had also given the most effective troll fire immunity. I'm looking for...both. So far I have a ruby knight windicator for a "if my next character gets fucked" sort of situation. Not really a revenge character.
>>
Oh wait you're pulling a Divine Metamagic Ruby Knight Vindicator called Rodney and absolutely nothing in the description, personality and other sections and your DM is allowing it;

It looks like the DM is assuming you want an unforgiving fight because assuming your other party members are like this they're equally focused around hitting people in the face.

Or are the powergaming build and the lack of any other aspects due to all the character deaths?
>>
>>43803385
At this moment in time I am playing an entirely support bard. Inspire courage(soon to be dragonfire inspiration) and inspire greatness buffs on basically the entire party. The ruby knight is for when/if a party wipe happens to pick up where they left off. I'm still developing him as a character, but yes, it is in response to the unusual amounts of character deaths, if that is a curious enough thing to anticipate?
>>
>>43803408
As mentioned by >>43802769 if fights are conventionally difficult attempting to circumvent a straight up fight might be better. You might need to get your party on the level for this.

Sneaking with mass invisibility, flying to avoid melee, shutdown spells that lock down the enemy or render them vulnerable to non-regular attack (plane shift?) can be thoughts on how to get past this kind of fight.

But again, are you having fun? Is everyone having fun? It's easier picking charop boards for cookie cutter builds, and if he's deliberately extending fights to get people killed you can't really avoid dying.

If talking doesn't bust out an infinite damage combo character like not!punpun? I recall a build like that vaguely.
>>
>>43803465
We are having fun, the fun therein being cooperation in order to overcome ridiculous encounters with bullshit cheesy techniques. I've heard from the others of the group that it hasn't always been like this, and I must have joined when this new phase shifted in. Also the comradery between us at the table(jokes/tabletalk/general generosity between us including the DM) is definitely enjoyable.

All in all, it is a great group, but the combat encounters need a tweaking, and due to this thread, I think I have a few good ideas on how to handle this situation. Mainly, talking to him.
>>
>>43803531
Sounds like you already know what to do.

Just for reference if talking doesn't help, here is the pun-pun counter build, the omnifiscier build. Might use some spell compendium or dragon magazine stuff, not too sure.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3la666khkuaft242qoe75bbcu0&topic=663.msg3639#msg3639
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.